Author Topic: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~  (Read 271452 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~
« Reply #1160 on: March 12, 2014, 09:36:11 AM »
 Nominations FOR MAY/JUNE  BOOK CLUB ONLINE

Titles below are all linked to reviews or descriptions

Title
Author
The Invisible Wall                    Harry Bernstein
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves                    Karen Joy Fowler
Dune                    Frank Herbert
Three Men in a Boat                    Jerome K. Jerome
I Always Loved You: A Novel (Mary Cassat, Edgar Degas)                    Robin Oliveira

Announcing:APRIL/MAY  BOOK CLUB ONLINE

Lewis Carroll's ALICE IN WONDERLAND

Join the discussion HERE

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1161 on: March 12, 2014, 09:37:56 AM »
I read this in the Three Men in a Boat link - it seems that people have found it humerous over the years for it to remain current since 1889!

"The book was initially intended to be a serious travel guide,[1] with accounts of local history along the route, but the humorous elements took over to the point where the serious and somewhat sentimental passages seem a distraction to the comic novel. One of the most praised things about Three Men in a Boat is how undated it appears to modern readers – the jokes seem fresh and witty even today."

Will put it up with the others to see what our readers think.  We sure have a range from which to choose!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1162 on: March 12, 2014, 05:04:59 PM »
I've found THREE MEN IN A BOAT online. You can read it at no cost at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/308

There is also a free kindle version.

But the book isn't available in print format at my library. I wonder if it will be difficult to find for those who want to hold a print copy and rely on their public libraries.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1163 on: March 12, 2014, 06:29:37 PM »
Let's put "available on line" next to the title for the vote?  Would that be enough? How to make it clear that on-line might be the only option?

Just checked - Arlington County has one copy available.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #1164 on: March 13, 2014, 10:29:50 AM »
When do we vote?  
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1165 on: March 13, 2014, 10:57:56 AM »
sounds good, joan.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1166 on: March 13, 2014, 11:10:55 AM »
very soon, Annie...April is coming!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #1167 on: March 13, 2014, 10:06:43 PM »
I have downloaded "Three Men in a Boat".  So far, I don't have any opinion.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1168 on: March 16, 2014, 12:59:33 AM »
Montgomery County has 5 copies of Three Men in a Boat, 3 of which are checked out or in transit.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1169 on: March 16, 2014, 07:05:53 AM »
That amazes me, Pat!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1170 on: March 16, 2014, 08:32:28 PM »
That's interesting, Pat.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1171 on: March 19, 2014, 12:39:41 PM »
One more nudge before we close the vote for April's Book Club Online discussion.  If you are still cogitating, now is the time to pull the lever to get your vote counted!  See the link in the heading at the top of the page.

CallieOK

« Reply #1172 on: March 19, 2014, 01:33:13 PM »
My library system has "Three Men In A Boat - Penguin edition, 1999.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1173 on: March 25, 2014, 12:21:12 PM »
I do intend to read Three Men in a Boat soon too, Callie.
 However, I have come in today to let you know that the chosen title for our April Book Club Online discussion is
Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland, scheduled to begin on April 15, as we have extended the Blue Highways discussion, in order to complete the trip! We hope you will join us for Alice!  We are beginning to gather this morning.

How about we start the nominations for May - I can tell you that there was interest in Three Men in a Boat.  Would you like to begin nominations with this title?  What else?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1174 on: April 06, 2014, 07:43:45 AM »
Do you remember reading and discussing Karen Joy Fowler's Jane Austen Book Club several years ago?  Probably longer than I think!  Will look that up in our Archives.  A group of us met with her at a book signing and then tea in DC...a lively conversation! We really enjoyed her.

The reason I bring her up..I just read this morning that she won the Pen/Faulkner Award ...for her We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves.

It's time to start gathering nominations for May Bookclub Online discussion.  I'd like to nominate this title.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1175 on: April 07, 2014, 09:23:43 PM »
 Nominations FOR MAY  BOOK CLUB ONLINE

Titles below are all linked to reviews or descriptions

Title
Author
The Invisible Wall                    Harry Bernstein
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves                    Karen Joy Fowler
Three Men in a Boat                    Jerome K. Jerome
The Storied Life of AJ Fikry                    Gabrielle Zevin

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1176 on: April 15, 2014, 05:00:40 PM »
Are you going to the ceremony at the Folger, JoanP, when Fowler gets her award?  I remember when we read and discussed The Jane Austen Book Club.  And you, and I don't remember who else, met Fowler, prior to our discussion.

Just what exactly is the PEN organization?  I remember when we read Wally Lamb's book about the writing program at the Conn. Prison for Women.  And PEN was so impressed with the writings of one of the women that they awarded her $25,000 -- which of course opened up a big can of worms.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1177 on: April 16, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »
A recommendation from Tomereader: May I heartily recommend a current fiction novel:  "The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry".  The Author's name is Gabrielle Zevin.  

For booklovers like us, it is a beautiful read.  A short book, but there is so much there.  It has hilariously funny parts, sad parts, lots of literary references, and a bookstore owner who, in the beginning, is about as irascible and opinated as one can be.  Upon his first meeting with Sales Rep from Knightley Press, Fikry is saying "this is not for me".   She tells him, "I'd like the chance to get to know your tastes".  "Like" he repeats with distaste.  "How about I tell you what I don't like?  I do not like postmodernism, postapocalyptic settings, postmortem narrators, or magic realism.  I rarely respond to supposedly clever formal devices, multiple fonts, pictures where they shouldn't be--basically gimmicks of any kind.  I find literary fiction about the Holocaust or any other major  world tragedy to be distasteful--non fiction only, please. I do not like genre mash-ups a la the literary detective novel or the literary fantasy.  Literary should be literary, and genre should be genre, and crossbreeding rarely results in anything satisfying.  I do not like children's books, especially ones with orphans, and I prefer not to clutter my shelves with young adult.  I do not like anything over four hundred pages or under one hundred fifty pages. I am repulsed by ghostwritten novels by reality television stars, celebrity picture books, sports memoirs movie tie-in editions, novelty items and--I imagine this goes without saying--vampires.  I rarely stock debuts, chick lit, poetry, or translations.  I would prefer not to stock series, but the demands of my pocketbook require me to".

And so on.  This, alone, should guarantee that at least one of us has at least specified one of these criteria in our book choices, or the choices of our book groups!  The characters are well-written and you leave feeling you have made new friends!  Enjoy!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1178 on: April 16, 2014, 10:04:39 AM »
Tomereader, The Storied Life of AJ Fikry sounds just delightful...a short book with lots of books to talk about!  Thank you!  I've entered it in the heading - the title is a link for those who wish to read more about it!

Pedln, we did enjoy our tea with Karen J. Fowler!  A delightful person!   Somewhere there is a picture...unless it was lost went SeniorNet went down.  If memory serves, Pat H was there - Maryal and her daughter, Susan.  I hope I didn't leave anyone out.  Will hunt for that photo!

The PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction is a national prize which honors the best published works of fiction by American citizens in a calendar year. Three writers are chosen annually by the directors of the PEN/Faulkner Foundation to serve as judges for the prize, and these judges are asked to select five books (from among the more than 350 works submitted each year) as finalists for the award, making this the largest peer-juried award in the country. Both the eventual winner of the award and all finalists are invited to Washington, D.C. for the PEN/Faulkner Award Ceremony and Dinner.
More about the Pen/Faulkner Award and Karen J. Fowler

This prize is a big deal - and I might add that Pen/Faulkner donates hundreds of these submitted books to the women's correctional facility in Conn. each year.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1179 on: April 17, 2014, 10:13:11 PM »
The Storied Life of AJ Fikry sounds like a winner.  The reviews really praise it and I especially like that some think it's in the same vein as The Guernsey Literary and .    .   ..      and Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.

At any rate, it's going on my brand new TBR list.  My old one was only on my desktop and I forget to save it along with other documents when I moved stuff to a new computer.  This one I'll put right up there in the start screen -- I hope.

There's something special about books about books.  And bookstores.  And bookclubs.  And book readers.  And we should probably include book writers.

Tomereader1

« Reply #1180 on: April 18, 2014, 10:31:15 AM »
Thank you for posting that here, JoanP!  I enjoyed the book so very much, that I went back and read most of it again.
I think it would be a great choice for May discussion.  And since it's only 258 pages, it might leave room for another very short book (if there is such a thing anymore) to be discussed.  Thanks again, and if it doesn't make the cut, individual readings will be well worthwhile!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #1181 on: April 18, 2014, 08:45:34 PM »
We need a book like that, tome reader!  It really looks like fun and light, which is about all I can handle right now. 

I do still want to read Bernstein's book but maybe we could do that one in June?What say you, JoanP?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1182 on: April 19, 2014, 02:18:32 PM »
I agree with all of you about The Storied Life of AJ Fikry - it sounds delicious - just the ticket for a group book discussion.  
I can see only one fly in the ointment - I need you all to help to decide if this will prove too big an obstacle to a May 15 discussion -

Published April 1st 2014 by Algonquin Books

I don't know about your libraries - but an April 1st publishing date means long hold waits.  I just signed on and find the library has 8  copies - I'm #42.  (Ecopies - library has 3, I'm #34.)

Will you do a favor - and check your libraries to see if it would be a problem for you?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1183 on: April 19, 2014, 03:10:19 PM »
My library has one copy with 117 holds.

CallieOK

« Reply #1184 on: April 19, 2014, 03:17:14 PM »
My library has 13 copies and I'm #4 on the reserve list. 

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #1185 on: April 19, 2014, 03:26:05 PM »
Maybe we could start with one of the other books and make this one for June???
I am on a waiting list for a LP of which I am 23rd in line for one of 23 copies.

I am also in line for the ebook with not a hint as to how many they have.

I am also in line for the HB copy.   # 92 for 91 copies.

I am now on the wish list on Overdrive for 1 of 10 copies of the audio copy.  I should be inline as ??? #11? or #14?  There are none available, but there are 3 people awaiting the book before me.

If we decide to read one of the other books first, I will vote for the Berstein title.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1186 on: April 19, 2014, 04:18:36 PM »
Pat, one copy with 117 holds before you!

We'll vote in a few days, Annie.  Nominations are still wide open.  Any additions?  

How about Monuments Men?  My library copy is finally available.  Can you check your libraries to see if it is available yet?  Not a new book, but the popularity of the movie knocked it off our list when we considered it several months ago.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1187 on: April 19, 2014, 05:04:09 PM »
My library system has 20 copies of THE MONUMENTS MEN and 129 holds! There are a few of the copies on order for "walk in" (not on hold).
The system has 7 books on order for the title "The storied life of A.J. Fikry." They already have 50 holds. I don't think we should onsider the FIKRY book for the next discussion. We could hold the vote for selections for the next couple of months.

The library has 15 copies of  We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves  and 34 holds.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1188 on: April 19, 2014, 05:26:49 PM »
Has anyone read anything by Charle de Lint? I found a book of his, THE LITTLE COUNTRY, in a thrift store and it looks interesting but it's long (500 pages). I haven't read it yet or any other book by him. See a review at http://www.sfsite.com/charlesdelint/little-desc01.htm

He's written lots of others; some series but some stand on their own. Would anyone recommend one of his (maybe shorter) works for discussion?

"His fantasy fiction is described under the fantasy sub-genres urban fantasy, contemporary magical realism, and mythic fiction. De Lint writes novels, novellas, short stories, poetry, and lyrics. His distinctive style of fantasy draws upon local American folklore and European folklore; De Lint was influenced by many writers in the areas of mythology, folklore, and science fiction, including: J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord Dunsany, William Morris, Mervyn Peake, James Branch Cabell, E.R. Eddison etc."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_de_Lint

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1189 on: April 19, 2014, 05:54:24 PM »
I'd like to suggest DUNE again, the 1965 science fiction novel by Frank Herbert. It won the Hugo Award in 1966 and the first Nebula Award for Best Novel. Dune is the world's best-selling science fiction novel and inspired a host of sequels and prequels as well as films. I read it a long time ago but still remember what an imaginative, very detailed world Frank Herbert created.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #1190 on: April 20, 2014, 01:13:28 AM »
The Storied Life... sounds like something to really enjoy - I hope we get to read it when the immediate popularity dies down.

I started recently I Always Loved You: A Novel by the gal who wrote My Name Is Mary Sutter, Robin Oliveira - I never knew but it is about the love affair between Mary Cassatt and Edgar Degas - takes place of course in Paris during its glory time, Belle Époque Paris.

Could be fun getting to know better all those paintings of mothers and babies and then of course Edgar Degas paintings at the Ballet and the race track.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0670785792/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I must say in a million years I would never have put those two together -
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #1191 on: April 20, 2014, 10:14:24 AM »
Barb, that sounds inviting and requesting it, I am #1!  What a nice day! :D :D
Our f2f group read the book about her painting her sister.  Can't remember the title.

If I request Monuments Men, I am #20 for the book!!
For the movie, I would be #419!!  Egad!  I think I will look on Netflix for the movie.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1192 on: April 23, 2014, 10:12:21 AM »
I feel we've all agreed we want to read/discuss this one - but must wait until it's been out a bit longer so we can all access it at our libraries.  

The Storied Life of AJ Fikry                    Gabrielle Zevin

The same goes for Monument Men.

I've added Frank Herbert's Dune and Robin Oliveira's I Always Loved You - Mary Cassat and Edgar Degas.

Have you started the Charles de Lint book yet, Marcie?  I've never read him, or even heard of him.  Yet. ;)  It does look delightful - and different - http://www.sfsite.com/charlesdelint/little-desc01.htm

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1193 on: April 24, 2014, 09:18:57 AM »
I really got interested in Charles de Lint's The Little Country - only to find that it is not included among de Lint's other books in my local library.  Can you check your library to see if it is available?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1194 on: April 24, 2014, 11:25:12 AM »
Marcie, you have really come up with an eye-opener.  Like JoanP, I'd never heard of him before, and my library has tons of his books, including The Little Country.  I don't usually read much science fiction or fantasy, but de Lint must have a huge following among readers of those genres.

Charles de Lint, an extraordinarily prolific writer of fantasy works, was born in the Netherlands in 1951. Due to his father's work as a surveyor, the family lived in many different places, including Canada, Turkey, and Lebanon. De Lint was influenced by many writers in the areas of mythology, folklore, and science fiction. De Lint originally wanted to play Celtic music. He only began to write seriously to provide an artist friend with stories to illustrate. The combination of the success of his work, The Fane of the Grey Rose (which he later developed into the novel The Harp of the Grey Rose), the loss of his job in a record store, and the support of his wife, Mary Ann, helped encourage de Lint to pursue writing fulltime. After selling three novels in one year, his career soared and he has become a most successful fantasy writer. De Lint's works include novels, novellas, short stories, chapbooks, and verse. He also publishes under the pseudonyms Wendelessen, Henri Cuiscard, and Jan Penalurick. He has received many awards, including the 2000 World Fantasy Award for Best Collection for Moonlight and Vines, the Ontario Library Association's White Pine Award, as well as the Great Lakes Great Books Award for his young adult novel The Blue Girl. His novel Widdershins won first place, Amazon.com Editors' Picks: Top 10 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books of 2006. In 1988 he won Canadian SF/Fantasy Award, the Casper, now known as the Aurora for his novel Jack, the Giant Killer. Also, de Lint has been a judge for the Nebula Award, the World Fantasy Award, the Theodore Sturgeon Award and the Bram Stoker Award. (Bowker Author Biography)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1195 on: April 24, 2014, 11:54:07 AM »
That's a good sign that The Little Country is available, Pedln.  I'm going to the library today - will ask about this book.  Since they have so many other titles of his, I'm hoping that if it is missing, they might order a new one...just for me! :D

I'd hate to put it up for consideration and then learn it is not widely available...thanks for checking your library, Pedln! 
Anyone else?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #1196 on: April 24, 2014, 02:37:01 PM »
Not in my library, but I have requested "Widdershins" just to get a taste of his writing.  I am #1 on the list.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1197 on: April 25, 2014, 12:59:56 AM »
We have 2 copies of THE LITTLE COUNTRY in our library system and no current holds on them. There are quite a few inexpensive copies available at Amazon

It is over 500 pages. I haven't started it yet.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1198 on: April 28, 2014, 06:11:38 PM »
I read on  a BBC site that the BBC has commissioned new adaptations of four iconic 20th-century works: Lady Chatterley’s Lover, Cider With Rosie, The Go-Between, and An Inspector Calls. I don't know when they will be produced for British TV or if PBS or some other station will pick them up in the U.S. but one or more of those books might be interesting to read together.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1199 on: April 29, 2014, 11:50:43 AM »
We'll need to select a May book soon - I was able to pick up the love story of Mary Cassatt and Edgar Degas - I Always Loved You - at my library, after only a short wait.  Can you check yours to see if we choose it, you will be able to get your hands on it?

one or more of those books might be interesting to read together: Lady Chatterley’s Lover, Cider With Rosie, The Go-Between, and An Inspector Calls. Marcie
Marcie - that's an interesting idea.  I checked my Library and we have quite a few copies of Lady Chatterly - including ebooks and audio.

Will check these-
Cider with Rosie - Cider with Rosie - one "illustrated copy"
An Inspector Calls - Nothing in collection
The Go-Between -   L.P. Hartley -  Yes, we have it in our library - http://www.amazon.com/Go-Between-York-Review-Books-Classics/dp/0940322994
The G0-Between - "One of the fabled opening lines in modern literature: ‘The past is a foreign country: They do things differently there.’"

Do I hear a second?  Anyone interested in including Lady C or the Go-Between in the nominations?