Author Topic: Elegance of the Hedgehog ~ Muriel Barbery ~ Prediscussion  (Read 32162 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Elegance of the Hedgehog ~ Muriel Barbery ~ Prediscussion
« on: March 14, 2009, 05:32:41 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  everyone is welcome to join in.

"Prickly and popular novel on class and culture"

"Central to the book's appeal is the compelling voice of its main character, Renée Michel, a 54-year-old Paris apartment-building concierge who struggles to hide her self-taught erudition and cultivation from snobby, rich tenants. She disdains their élitist notions of class and social order, but she knows the residents would be outraged at discovering what a deep grasp the hired help has of art and learning. So Renée masks her intellect behind the persona expected of her lowly station." Time Magazine

The second narrator in the book is the precocious 12 year old daughter of one of the tenants, who hides her intelligence  from a world she finds meaningless.  The two characters neatly mirror one another in a philosophical tale of contrasts which succeeds in resolving some issues of life and death.

Discussion Schedule:

April 1-3 ~ Marx Preamble ~ pgs.17-27
April 4-10 ~ Camellias ~  pgs.31-129
April 11-14 ~ On Grammar ~ pgs.133-166
April 15-19 ~ Summer Rain ~ pgs.173-238
April 20-26 ~ Paloma ~ pgs. 241-315
April 27 ~ My Camellias ~ pgs. 316-325
Final Thoughts

Topics for Pre-discussion

1. What do you know of hedgehogs and their habits?  Do you see anything "elegant" about these critters?

2. Can you find information about this first-time author?  We could use a link if you can copy it here.

3. This has been called a "philosophical fable"?  Intimidated? What is your knowledge of philosophy?

4. How difficult must it be to have one's  first novel immediately become an international best seller?

5. What is a "concierge"?  Wouldn't you love this job in a posh Parisian neighborhood?

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP & Eloise

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Welcome, everyone!
 So happy you are planning to join us.  We are expecting great things in the discussion of this little novel that has caused such an International uproar, earning so many top awards, astonishing for a first-time author.  Exciting, really.
 Some psychotherapists in France have perscribed the book  for their patients.   That says something about the power of this book!

As we wait for folks to gather  and to locate the book, let's try to get to know one another a bit - and to find out more about this unknown author. I find the writing fascinating and wonder about her inspiration for the story. 

I'll admit to being intimidated about the philosophical references...but can understand that some knowledge will be useful in understanding the nuances of the story.  Not that one can't enjoy the novel glossing over the references, but it will be such a more meaningful experience if we don't just ignore them.  I'm hoping to learn something  from the book - and from you!

Again, welcome everyone.  Bienvenue!

Eloise

• Montreal
Re: Elegance of the Hedgehog ~ Muriel Barbery ~ Prediscussion
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 04:21:17 PM »
Bonjour! I have read this book twice because the first time too many things escaped me and I wanted to dig into it more in depth and each time it told me something different.

Did you ever wish to know who lived behind the tall doors of elegant apartment buildings along the tree lined boulevards in Paris? In The Elegance of the Hedgehog we are about to find out. It is a book about class. High class, low class, and the class in between where there are those who belong to both classes in a surprising and engaging way. It is a book you will remember long after you have read it because it brings to light many things that are often left unsaid in society that needs to be pointed out. Don't miss this little gem you will love it I am sure.

Welcome to all participants, I am glad that you will be joining us in The Elegance of the Hedgehog discussion .

Éloïse

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 08:34:57 PM »
Hello Joan p and Eloise,

I have been waiting for this discussion to open.  I am really looking forward to this book  discussion.

I have started reading the book, although I am have not gotten very far in it. Since it is available only in paperback and no large print, I am sure that I will be slow reading it.

I have always been fascinated with hedgehogs.  I really do not know much about them though.  I just know that we do not have them in this country.    I think they are so cute .  So so much for my knowledge of hedgehogs.

I am hoping to learn alot in this discussion.

Joan G
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 10:15:56 PM »
Joan G. Bienvenue chère amie. I am so happy that you will be joining us, you who has gone to France more often than anyone I know, I look forward to your posts.

I wonder why there are no hedgehog here, does anyone know? 

Today I bought the French version to give to my daughter Isabelle who wants to read it when she goes for her vacation.

Laura

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 06:39:33 AM »
Hi ladies!  I will be joining you for this discussion.  I'll be reading as we go, so I don't plan to start the book for a couple of weeks yet.

I was surprised to read that there are no hedgehogs in the U.S.  I remember them vividly from when we lived in England for 18 months.  My son attended preschool there, and they "studied" hedgehogs.

I know nothing about philosophy, so I will have much to learn in that regard.

Steph

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 07:45:21 AM »
No Hedgehogs?? I have seen them in pet stores and the zoo..People in the dog world talk of how to get the spines out of nosy dogs.. So there must be some version of them in the states.. I have the book.. have not started it, but will try and wait until we start.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 08:49:38 AM »
Hello Laura and Steph, welcome to our discussion, how wonderful to have you on board.

As we progress, we will find out several things about this strange title. I will certainly be interested in reading all the information coming out of this discussion. I realized that I had never seen a hedgehog in my life. Are you sure Steph that the critter you saw in a pet store was not a porcupine? I have lived in the city all my life so I am not familiar with pets as we never had even a dog in our house.

Please continue to come in and share your knowledge.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 09:24:35 AM »
Good morning Folks.

The Hedgehog is not found in the United States or anywhere in North America unless it is in a pet store or someone has it as a pet.  However it is illegal to own a hedgehog in some parts of the United States.

To read about Hedgehogs click the following link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgehog.

I have been interested in them from reading about them in English books and from seeing pictures and figurines of them when I was traveling in England.

One of the things that attracts me to this book is trying to discover why Hedgehog is in the title.

Joan Grimes

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 12:18:59 PM »
Right Joan G. and Steph, so there are hedgehogs in the US but they are in pet stores, as household pets or in a zoo. I am learning something. Tell us more will you because then we will find out why the author entitled the book The Elegance of the Hedgehog. I am dying to know.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 01:03:17 PM »
Eloise,

I collect hedgehog figurines and you probably don't remember that I bought one when we had the books gathering at the Isle of Palms, SC.  I went into Charleston. with some of the group and I found it at the market there.  I don't think you went with us.  If I remember correctly you stayed at the house to do some cooking.  So you did not see my hedgehog because I had it mailed to my home .It was so big that I would not have been able to carry it on to the plane.    I named it Charlie Boyd and it sits on the hearth in my living room.  I bought it for my sun room but have never put it there.

Here is a link to click on to see my hedgehog.  http://joanmgrimes.com/seniorlearn/charlieboyd..jpg

Joan G

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 01:46:19 PM »
Oh! Joan, no I didn't see your hedgehog unfortunately and you even gave it the name Charlie Boyd. How absolutely touching, you had just lost your husband.  :(

Hôtels particuliers

Click on any one of those links and it gives us an idea of where the characters in the book were living.

Paris counts about 400 hôtels particuliers. Veritable small palaces including courtyards with splendid gardens in the heart of Paris. It is useless to mention the price, we can guess that it is not for everybody’s pocketbook. “Hôtels Particuliers” might exist since the middle ages, be perfectly integrated in the city. Hôtels particuliers are what makes people dream or pretend that they are living there. (my translation)

Laura

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 02:19:23 PM »
Here is information on the author, which includes a reading group guide, an author interview, and a link to her website (which is in French).  I am not going to look at much of this until after I have completed the book for fear of spoilers.

http://www.europaeditions.com/author.php?Id=48

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Spoilers
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 02:49:10 PM »
Thanks for bringing this site to our attention, Laura.  You bring up an important point regarding "spoilers" -
This is probably a good time to remind everyone that some of us have read the book, others have not.  This is a book that is great to reread, any number of times - as Eloise says.  But it is important to remember that for many, this is the first time. It would be helpful when you post here in this prediscussion if you indicate whether you have read the book or not.

I read the book in January - and knew then that I wanted the opportunity to discuss it with you.  Then came Guernsey Literary Society and by the time I turned to Hedgehog, it was no where to be found.  I tore the house apart.  I don't often lose a book for more than a day, but this one I LOST.  I began to think of those who came through my door since January, wondering if I had lent it out.  When I sent out a group email, my sons wrote back that they had never heard of it.  Youngest  son wrote:

I picture a hedgehog in a robe and slippers reading by moonlight with Beethoven in the background.

Now that's elegant!   Joan G, your little Charlie Boyd  is adorable.  I'm not quite sure I'd call him "elegant" however.  But what does "elegant" mean exactly?

How do you imagine a hedgehog?  We know now that we don't see them in the US.  I had imagined a groundhog.
At one point, we were considering using this graphic -

But isn't he scampering too fast?  Don't you think a hedgehog would just lumber along?  Maybe not?  I don't know my hedgehogs, obviously.

And what do we know of our author - Is she an expert in hedgehogs?  A Naturalist?  A nature lover? All we really know from Laura's site is that she lives in Japan.  And that her husband is quite an artist.  Do you feel the need to learn more about her before we begin?

Just be sure to follow Laura's advice - be careful when you are searching, you don't want to spoil anything for yourself, or for first-time readers...and there is a real danger of doing so at the end.  If you've read the book, follow the discussion schedule in the heading closely so that you do not go ahead.

This promises to be a hugely rewarding discussion!

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 02:49:23 PM »
How wonderful to discover the prediscussion! 

Re question  #2.  Muriel Barbery, the author of "Elegance of the Hedgehog", is a French philosophy professor and novelist,  born in Morocco,   now living in Japan. Her first book was "Une gourmandise", written a few years ago, which is now being translated into English due to the spectacular success of "Elegance ..." in Europe and, obviously, in this country.

Re question#1,  like Éloïse, I too wondered about 'hedgehog' vs.  porcupine, and I can see the difference. But in the end it may not matter. What the two have in common are the quills which are their shield and make them invulnerable.

Re question # 5.  It's surprising how easily the French term "concierge" has been adopted in the last few years.  Concierges have become a fixture in the best hotels in this country and are a familiar sight also in luxury apartment houses.  They have a vital role and many  duties and responsibilities. Without them there at the ready, an edifice might collapse, heaven forfend!   ;)

EvelynMC

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 04:24:21 PM »
I have the book and have read a little of it.

It is interesting. --- But I'll hold off reading more and will follow the schedule.

I thought a hedgehog was a porcupine, so already I have learned something new.

I just figured putting hedgehog in the title meant someone "prickly" who kept people at a distance.  I am looking forward to learning more philosophy.

This is going to be an interesting discussion.  I was pleased to see this pre-discussion.

Evelyn

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 09:19:47 PM »
Traude and EvelynMC, welcome to you. We are going to have a wonderful discussion I know. l am looking forward to learn from your knowledge.

Here is the Online Dictionary's definition of the word Elegance. 

ELEGANCE

Refinement, grace and beauty in movement, appearance, or manners.

Tasteful opulence in form, decoration, or presentation.

Restraint and grace of style.

Scientific exactness and precision.

Gumtree

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 02:59:41 AM »
Thanks Eloise & JoanP for hosting this discussion. I'm looking forward to learning heaps from everyone. I have already read the book but will take care to stick to the schedule and not let any spoilers out.

My knowledge of philosophy is virtually non existent so that  aspect will be a major learning curve for me.

We don't have hedgehogs in Australia. The nearest here is the Echidna, aka the Spiny Anteater. It is said to resemble both the hedgehog and the porcupine but has no connection to either of those. The Echidna  and another Aussie icon, the Platypus, are the only surviving monotremes - mammals that lay eggs - they are very primitive and represent a link between reptiles and the more advanced mammals. The Echidnas are also found in Papua/New Guinea.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Steph

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 07:39:38 AM »
The few hedgehogs I have seen are dainty delicate creatures with beautiful colors. I have assumed that the elegance referred to a real one since they are really quite different from our porcupines.. and of course the spines removed from our dogs are from porcupines..
Ah, Joan, I remember now you buying the hedgehog..

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 08:46:28 AM »
Top o' the morning to all Irish - and those who wish you were! ;D

Gum, are you wearing green?  Do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day in AU?  Aren't there lots of Irishmen there?  So happy you will be joining us.  I've made a note that you have read the book - and are looking forward to learning something about the philosophical allusions in the book.

Weren't you all excited to learn that the author, Muriel Barbery, is or at least has been a philosophy professor?  We're in good hands, I would think.  Thank you for that bit of information, Traude.  And welcome to the group!
Don't you wonder now about the connection between philosophy and hedgehogs?

Evelyn, I've learned too - that those porcupine-looking spikes are not stiff - and that they stay attached to its body when frightened, Steph, unlike a porcupine.  I'm wondering about the little fellow up in the heading next to the reading schedule.  He looks as if he's hiding, doesn't he?  Is he frightened, I wonder...or is this just how he rests?

I suppose our real question is the connection between elegance and hedgehogs.  From Eloise's definitions of "elegance" - I don't see elegance yet - though Steph and JoanG might argue -  their "dainty, delicate colors" etc. 

Are you familiar with  Beatrix Potter's hedgehog - "Mrs. Tiggy-winkle"?

Gumtree

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 09:47:07 AM »
Top o' the morning to all Irish - and those who wish you were! ;D

Gum, are you wearing green?  Do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day in AU?  Aren't there lots of Irishmen there? 

Do we ever !- St Patrick's Day is an institution here - on Tv News tonight the Prime Minister was shown addressing a large gathering of folk celebrating the wearing of the green - he made several references to the Guiness Stout - can't stand the stuff myself.
There are not so many Irishmen here but a large proportion of the population has Irish blood somewhere along the line including yours truly -my gt grandfather and his father-in-law, my Gt Gt gr Father both came from Ireland in mid 1800s- but that's going back a little now. Well, you did ask  ;D

I think the hedgehogs curl themselves up in something like a ball as protection from danger - the echidna certainly does.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 09:59:07 AM »
Joan P,  Beatrix Potters little hedgehog is where I first heard of hedgehogs and developed my love for them.  That made me start to look for them when I went to England.  I love Mrs. Tiggy-winkle.

I think the one you have in the heading is rolled up.  They roll up to protect themselves. When they roll up their  quills stick out to protect them.

Steph,  I thought you might remeber when I bought my Charlie Boyd.

Joan G

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 01:40:14 PM »
Happy St. Patrick’s day to all of you who claim Irish ancestors. Two daughters of mine married Irishmen, and are they ever Irish both of them. One of them lives right here below me.

No JoanP, I don’t see the resemblance at all yet, but we might see one later on in the book. Let’s keep our eyes open.

Gumtree, My knowledge of philosophy is virtually non existent so that  aspect will be a major learning curve for me

Although I am ignorant about academic philosophy, I am quite sure that we all have acquired some in our long life as I have been able to observe on SeniorNet and here in Seniorlearn with participants who have an education level higher than I can ever hope to have. Yet it doesn’t daunt me one bit to try to understand the philosophy in the book. Am I cheeky, or just dumb? Let’s not compare ourselves with famous philosophers shall we and we will be fine. I can't wait to see what you will all say about this book. It gave me shivers when I read it.

ALF43

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 02:03:48 PM »
Eloise- Do not sell yourself short.
 You are a very wise woman who listens and observes others.  That would be the philosopher in you.
 I have read in the past few years many logical, brilliant,and thoughtful posts of yours that emanate warm convictions and reasoning.

What else do philophers do?
You see life as a learning curve and that is more important than the "academia."
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 08:15:54 PM »
Alf, thanks but you are exagerating. Most of the time I wonder what I can say that makes sense.

I know that several of you have been to France, Paris to be specific where the action is taking place, so please feel free to share your impressions of what it was like if you care to.

It is not often that we see a "concierge" in apartment buildings here. I researched trying to find an equivalent and it said a concierge is a caretaker but somehow I don't think they do quite the same thing. What do you think?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 08:41:53 PM »
I'm in. Haven't read the book: it's on order.

mrssherlock

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 09:30:47 PM »
I hope to join you if my name comes up on the reserve list in time.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 07:41:54 AM »
I have read any number of books that talk of the concierge in France. Sometimes they are portrayed as cranky old ladies, dressed in black and always present as you enter and leave your rooms. Other times as sympathetic older ladies who help the confused young lovers.. Never any young ladies, I note.
I am one of those who has been in Paris a number of times and in the last few years, in river trips and trains all over France. I love the river trips north, they portray a France that is like my early dreams of it. All pastels and flowers and small villages with markets..

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 09:28:35 AM »
WEll,  I have been to France more times than I can tell you.For many years I have not missed a year going to France at least once and many times I have been more than once.  I love France.  I always spend some time in Paris but really love the French countryside.  It really is a beautiful country but we are not talking about all that are we. We are talking about Paris. The concierge is traditional in France.  But I am not going to really go into that because we are not yet to the discussing the book.

In the Springtime Paris is so beautiful...There are so many beautiful trees blooming, such as cherry trees, etc.  The Spring flowers are just gorgeous.   It is truly beautiful with all the signs of Spring among the beautiful old buildings.  Whenever I am sad and lonely a trip to Paris always makes me feel so much better.  I have described it as letting Paris enfold me in its arms and comfort me.  I do have that feeling when I arrive there.

People always ask me if I have friends or family there.  The answer is no.  My friend is Paris.

I suppose I could go on forever about Paris , Eloise, but I am not going to do that.

I am going to read some more of the book today.  Yesterday I did not have much time to read but will do so today.

Joan Grimes

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 09:33:14 AM »
Good morning, JoanG.  We're looking forward to hearing more of your concierge stories.

JoanK, Jackie (Mrssherlock)...Welcome!  So glad you plan to join us.  Jackie, my library "hold list" is quite long.  I've got my fingers crossed that you will be able to get your hands on this popular book.

My first memory of a concierge was in 1964 when studying in France for a month in the summer.  The concierge was sort of a house mother, or so I thought at the time.  She always seemed to appear from nowhere as I went in and out of the building.  It felt weird - I thought she was watching me all the time - and was possibly communicating with my father...

Many years later in a resident hotel, while visiting a friend, I experienced the exact same feeling.  The concierge wasn't like the person you see behind a desk in a hotel, clearly visible, waiting to give directions or tend to some request...but always coming from somewhere at the exact moment I entered or left the building.
I wonder now if that's not part of the job description - to make sure the guest or resident knew that I was on duty - just in case needed.
I still think I'd like the job...if it came with free rent!  And if I didn't have to do windows - or cleaning ...or laundry! And if I had a day off now and then. Oh, and I wouldn't want to wear black, either, Steph!  Maybe black is what widows wear in France...I don't ever recall a husband living with the concierge...

I found a bit of interesting information on  Beatrix Potter's  Mrs. Tiggy Winkle, JoanG.  I see you are quite familiar with her.
Mrs Tiggy-winkle is a small, round twinkly-eyed washerwoman; but has prickles under her cap and does the laundry for some surprising customers, including Peter Rabbit and Squirrel Nutkin!

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2009, 09:38:22 AM »
Oh Joan P,

Isn't Mrs Tiggly Winkle adorable?  I just love her.   She is quite prickly isn't she?

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2009, 07:41:44 PM »
Steph: I am one of those who has been in Paris a number of times and in the last few years, in river trips and trains all over France. I love the river trips north, they portray a France that is like my early dreams of it. All pastels and flowers and small villages with markets..

Lovely description.

JoanP. I still think I'd like the job...if it came with free rent!  And if I didn't have to do windows - or cleaning ...or laundry! And if I had a day off now and then. Oh, and I wouldn't want to wear black, either, Steph!  Maybe black is what widows wear in France...I don't ever recall a husband living with the concierge...

Not me, but on the other hand if I had ‘free’ rent in the center of Paris with some ‘free’ time I might just do it. I doubt that concierges do other people’s laundry. My sister married a Frenchman from Bretagne after the war and he expected her to wear black, but at one point she discarded the black, cut her long hair and I have never seen her wear it again. I don't think women still wear black when they are widowed though, but it's only a guess.

Jackie? Welcome, I am so glad you are joining us. I saw Hedgehog on the Amazon web site at $13.

The Miss Potter movie is so great. I love to watch it every time it is sown on PBS

Joan G, I love this: In the Springtime Paris is so beautiful...There are so many beautiful trees blooming, such as cherry trees, etc.  The Spring flowers are just gorgeous.   It is truly beautiful with all the signs of Spring among the beautiful old buildings.  Whenever I am sad and lonely a trip to Paris always makes me feel so much better.  I have described it as letting Paris enfold me in its arms and comfort me.  I do have that feeling when I arrive there.

It so well describe your attachment to France. 

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2009, 08:14:59 PM »
I can't believe my book came already: I just ordered it a couple of days ago.

It certainly doesn't start out as if Paris is enfolding these people. I've only been in Paris once. It was December, and it rained the whole time. So I have rather dreary memories of it. We then went through the French countyside, which I loved.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2009, 10:34:11 PM »
JoanK,

I was describing my personal relationship with Paris.  Of course that feeling that I have about Paris has nothing to do with the book.

Joan Grimes

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2009, 11:09:51 PM »
About concierges.
The eldest daughter of our former neighbors, who's the age of my son, became a concierge in Boston at the Westin Copley Plaza Hotel.  She came out to greet us when we arrived there the night my son's class celebrated their graduation from Boston College.

I should have said concierge services are available in big notels, albeit not in a "loge" or cubicle close to the entrance, but rather behind the scenes, more commonly known as "Housekeeping". It is the Reception watches over those who enter and leave.

I can understand how Éloïse and JoanG feel about Paris. They are not alone. That's  the way I feel not only about the "city of light", but about Rome, la città eterna, and Venice, la Serenissima, among others. They are more a state of mind, of course.

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2009, 08:14:51 PM »
Here are a dozen photos of Muriel Barbery at a book signing event in a library 

http://litoteentete.blogspot.com/2007/01/photos-de-la-rencontre-avec-muriel_16.html

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2009, 09:41:12 PM »
Éloïse, Wonderful!  Thank you. Funny, too. First one plate with a piece of cake, the cake slowly getting smaller; the big stack of books getting smaller; in the end two cake plates, both empty;  all books sold;  then the a gift for the author from the editor. Was it the first book-signing, I wonder?

mrssherlock

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2009, 11:23:08 PM »
Looks like I'll be getting my book soon. 2 are available in the remote libraries, jsut have to wait til they email me.  Hooray!
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Gumtree

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2009, 12:41:26 AM »
Eloise - Wonderful photos - lots of different moods shown - tell me why I expected Muriel to be a much older woman with short grey hair and glasses  :P

JudeS

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2009, 01:23:24 AM »
When I lived in Israel I got to know the Hedgehog . Kids who live in the country collect the quills.. The Hebrew for Hedgehog is 'KIPOD' and Kippy Kipod is a favorite childhood character in that country. Along with its cousins The Brown Hare and the Indian Crested Porcupine it is the most common roadkill because of its nocturnal lifestyle.

In fact this animal is so ubiquitous in Israel that a well known Blog about the country is called "The Hedgehog.'

I bought the book but have not read it and plan to follow the schedule posted.  This is usually hard for me but I.ve found that the unexpected happens and I'm forced to weave the plot differently in my head.  When I read a book through, the warp and weft of the plot become whole cloth and I don't think about the way it is put together.

Looking forward to speaking to you when I return from a visit to family in S.CA  ten days from tomorrow.

Jude