Author Topic: Hare with Amber Eyes, The ~ Edmund de Waal ~ February Book Club Online  (Read 63996 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
  The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

The HARE with AMBER EYES
A FAMILY'S CENTURY OF ART AND LOSS
by EDMUND de WAAL

"In The Hare with Amber Eyes, Edmund de Waal unfolds the story of a remarkable family and a tumultuous century. Sweeping yet intimate, it is a highly original meditation on art, history, and family, as elegant and precise as the netsuke themselves.When the Nazis took over Vienna, the family's loyal maid Anna simply hid these miniature works of art in her mattress, some 264 pieces depicting turtles and tigers and rats, a boy with a helmet and samurai sword, a naked woman and an octopus, a hare with amber eyes. Edmund de Waal eventually inherited the collection, and it serves to link the various parts of his story as he traces how the netsuke pass from one family member to the next."  Edmund de Waal

Discussion Schedule:

Feb. 1-2     Prologue
Feb. 3-7      Part One ~ Paris ~ 1871-1899
Feb. 8-12   Part Two ~ Vienna ~ 1899-1938
Feb.13-17   Part Three ~ Vienna ~ 1938-1947
Feb.18-22   Part Four ~ Tokyo ~ 1947-2001[
Feb. 23-27  Coda ~ Tokyo, Odessa, London ~ 2009
For Your Consideration
February 1-3
Prologue

1. Why do you think the author was awarded one of the eight scholarships to learn  the Japanese language and culture?  How old was he then?

2.  What brings the author's uncle to Japan? How did Uncle Iggy come to possess the netsuke collection?

3.  "Growing old in Japan is wonderful."  Were there any reasons given to support this statement?

4.  What do you know about the netsuke, how they were used?  What are some of the characteristics de Waal admires about this collection Uncle Iggy has left him.

5.  How old, how valuable are the netsuke the author's children play with, the medlar, the "losable" object he carries around London in his pocket, mingling with change and keys.  (What is a medlar?)

6.  What does the author intend to do in the three months he has cleared on his calendar?  What is it he feels compelled to learn?

7.  Do you have a "family archive," such as the one his father turned over to his son before he set out?  That family tree annotated by his grandmother, for example.

8.  Do you suspect those inscribed volumes by Thomas Mann are going to prove useful?  Have you read any of his work?

DIscussion Leaders: JoanP & Marcie

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: The Hare with Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal ~ February Book Club Online
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:25:14 AM »
We hadn't been planning on a discussion of this book for February - had something else in mind altogether.  More about that in the Suggestion  Box. But when one of our readers brought The Hare with Amber Eyesto our attention a few days ago, we were overwhelmed by Edmund de Waal's story and the possibilities for discussion it offers - history, mystery, art, human interes - something for everyone.

The author is not a writer by profession - he's a potter, but this book has taken Europe by storm, winning some of the most literary prestigious awards.  "An international phenomenom" -  De Waal could be any of us researching the  family tree and finding a rich history worthy to share with the world.

We hope you will be able to get your hands on the book and join us in February!

ps. Forgot to mention - the author did study English at Cambridge University, though he chose to become a potter after graduation.

Frybabe

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 08:01:39 AM »
My library has two copies.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 08:22:10 AM »
How's the waiting list, Fry?

Frybabe

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 08:40:45 AM »
One out, one in right now. Hopefully, at least one is still available at the end of the month. In the meantime, I am waiting for another book to arrive today or tomorrow from the library.

Babi

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 08:55:13 AM »
 What a great heading, JOANP.  The book cover alone was enough to intrigue me, and the
hare netsuke is so beautifully done I at first thought it was an actual rabbit,.. pardon me,
hare.  I'm really looking forward to reading this book.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 09:34:04 AM »
Have the book on order.

Frybabe

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 09:39:58 AM »
I used to go to gem and mineral shows. There were a few vendors who had displays of netsuke. Never bought any because I thought they cost a bit more than I wanted or could afford to spend. My collection is primarily small natural mineral samples and carved critters (my favorites are the agates because of the variations in color and pattern). I miss going to the shows.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 10:27:59 AM »
This story sounds fascinating - Book ordered - I am looking forward to this read. The book was chosen by The Economist in 2010 as a book of the year - and it won several awards including the Ondaatje Prize.

OK Jude you started all this  ;) I had heard of these small bits of sculptured stone called Netsuke - Is that the collection that was hidden under the mattress - if so I understand the Netsuke is used as a toggle to hold onto a sash a small box or a small satchel that held personal items like tobacco, money, since Kimono's did not have pockets. Reading this book will finally push me to find out more about these miniature sculptures. I remember seeing some in a museum back years ago. Here is a web site that includes a few pictures
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netsuke
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JudeS

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 04:32:14 PM »
I am happy and overwhelmed by your choosing this book that I suggested. I'm sure it will be a great discussion.
Sadly our vacation (Feb2-12) hits right at the start. However I will be with you the rest of the time.

For those who are going to lead the discussion.. Both the friend who loaned me the book and myself found that the most important pages , ones we referred to over and aover again, are those of the Family-Tree at the begginning of the book.
It s a good idea to print them out and not be afraid to write on the pages . Many of the families mentioned have members of the same name during the years under discussion. The family tree helps keep things straight while not taking away from the mystery.

I found that I had to pace myself. Some of the material is very thick with surprising facts and i read and reread those paragraohs in order to keep the narrative going.
All the efforts worthwhile. It is an unforgettable book!

Babi

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 09:03:11 AM »
 It was a pleasure to see those netsuke, BARB.  Amazing how practical items for everyday
life can become such treasures when made with care and artistry.

Thanks for the tip, JUDE.  I imagine frequent references to that family tree will be needed,
considering the generations covered in the story.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 09:54:17 AM »
Will try to get the family tree in the heading for easy reference once we get started! Thanks for the tip, Jude.

Barbara...enjoyed the link to netsuke - especially this remark:

"Today, the art  (netsuke) lives on, and some modern works can command high prices in the UK, Europe, the USA, Japan and elsewhere. Inexpensive yet faithful reproductions are available in museums and souvenir shops."

Knowing they were old, though totally unaware they were valuable, I smiled when reading a review of the book, that de Waal's children used to play with them - as my kids used to play with those little animal figurines that came free with each box of Red Rose tea...

I'm on the hold list at my library for the book...but think I'll break down and buy it.  I've heard the illustrated edition is scruptious.  If/when I get the library copy, which is illustrated, I'll scan and share with you all...

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 05:03:37 PM »
I've got the sample on my kindle. But I'll see if my library has a copy too, for the illustrations.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 02:36:47 PM »
I'm getting anxious...it looks like the scrumptious illustrated Library copy I've been waiting for is not moving fast enough up the HOLD list to get to me in time for the start of this discussion.  I'm thinking I'll have to break down and buy the  paperback... and then as soon as the library notifies me, I'll go for the Illustrated edition.  Does anyone here have the Illustrated copy?  Is it wonderful?

In the meantime, I've been poking around for more background information on the potter, Edmund de Waal...and his family - the Ephruzzis.  Many were surprised at how this book tracing his ancestry rose to instant fame, winning so many of the UK's prizes - literary prizes, at that. ( An Economist Book of the Year, the Costa Book Award Winner for Biography,  Galaxy National Book Award Winner (New Writer of the Year Award)-  the Ondaatje prize -  (£10,000 award for evoking 'the spirit of a place')
The man can write!

I read that it really wasn't surprising to those who knew him.  He read English at Cambridge, taking prizes before his graduation.  The surprise was his decision to ...well, to make porcelain pots.  He must have had some background in Art too...considering that family of his.  OR, maybe he picked it up as he went back in history to research the Ephrussi family.

I can see where this book will appeal to those interested in collecting, in Art, in geneology - and in History!  It all seems to come together here.

waafer

• waafer
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 10:56:56 PM »
The Hare With The Amber Eyes is one of the best books I have read this year.  The author came to Australia and gave one lecture(?). My daughter got the last seat in the house and when she related to me about the netsuke I really wanted to own one.  Good ones are dear.  I did get it on my kindle but it is a book I want to read again.  I usually do not come in to the discussions as I do not read as fast  as the members here but enjoy the discussions on books that I have read.  Hope you all enjoy.  Author did say it was the only book he intended to write but he wanted to get the story out to the world.  Junee

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 01:33:48 AM »
Junee what a privilege to hear from you knowing you read our posts but do not read as fast as our paced schedule we do try to read a book within a month's time  - your review of this book is priceless - thanks... did you get your netsuke? I noticed even the books about them on Amazon are quite expensive.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

waafer

• waafer
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 05:25:10 AM »
BARB- No I did not get a netsuke but did go online and saw quite a few but ones I liked were out of my range.  They are very intersting and I had never heard of such a thing before.  From time to time I pick up name and author of books on this site and then go to kindle once I have heard a description.  Am reading The House with a Thousand Candles at present and found first half very interesting but  struggling with it now- but I must finish to know what happened.

Hope you are all not freezing over there- at present we are having very hot summer.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 03:31:45 PM »
"The Hare With The Amber Eyes is one of the best books I have read this year."

Junee!  What a pleasant surprise to come in here today to find you here - with such a promising comment!  You are so Welcome!  Please promise you will join us...and don't worry about keeping up.  As Barbara said, we move at a slow pace - and you will be reading the book for the second time.  I think you will really enjoy this discussion group!

I was disappointed that our library's big illustrated edition is still not available...I'm #3 on the hold list - the library owns two copies of the book.  Buut, I did purchase a paperback today and look forward to getting into it before next week, when we should be able to start the Prologue...and Part One.
As soon as I get the illustrated copy, I'll scan the Ephrussi family tree to keep in the heading for easy reference.

A hot summer!  We are under cover of snow and temps in the low twenties today!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »
JoanP,
Have you noticed that the second paragraph of the book's description is a repeat of the second half of the first paragraph?  Thought you might want to change that. :D
Being a faithful reader and DL of non-fiction here,  I was really looking forward to reading "The Hare,etc".  But after I read 1/3rd of the book I have put it down.  Found it too dryly repetitive and just plain boring. The most exciting paragraph was the story of Charles Ephrussi being one of the figures in Renoir's "The Luncheon of the Boating Party".  Now there was a story that I thoroughly enjoyed.
And the best book I have read this year concerning the Jews in Europe during Hitler's rise, was "Crossing the Borders of Time" by Leslie Maitland.  Fascinating family sojourn escaping Germany.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 09:39:38 PM »
Book sounds good. My library have not purchased it yet. It is in the system but the other library will not yet loan it out. They have to many names on their list.
I will ask at ours tomorrrow to see when it will be in. Get my name on the sist.

Babi

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 09:00:10 AM »
 I had my daughter call the library and ask them to reserve 'The Hare.." for me. There is
only one copy, and I didn't want to take a chance someone would take it before she could
get down there to pick it up.  I hope to have it in hand today or tomorrow.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 04:16:11 PM »
Babi, that's such good news!...JeanneP, here's hoping you have the same luck that Babi had in getting a copy of the book.  Annie, I hope we can coax to the discussion, and maybe even to pick up the book again.  Perhaps you are missing something as so many are praising it so highly.  Don't go too far, okay?  I know you have much to contribute on different aspects of the book - Charles Ephrussi's art world connections, for example...

Off to read the Prologue....

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 08:22:02 PM »
I'm on the hold list in my library. There are quite a few copies but it seems to be a popular book. I may have to break down and purchase a copy for the discussion :-)

Frybabe

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 10:18:19 PM »
I just ordered my book from the Library today. There are two copies and both are available.

Babi

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 09:16:07 AM »
  I've read the prologue, and started the first chapter.  I'm feeling remarkably lucky; just
finished reading Kapuscinsky's "Travels with Herodotus",  and now I pick up a book by
another author with beautiful writing skills.  De Waal is as thoroughly a master of language,
able to describe a scene a scene in a way that carries you there, as you are likely to find.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 10:38:02 AM »
Babi, that sounds like a great start!

salan

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 01:14:45 PM »
Yea!! My library ordered this book for me and I have been notified that it is in and available.  I will pick it up tomorrow.  I don't usually care for non-fiction books, but I have always thought that the netsuke were fascinating.  I can't wait to begin.  I am currently reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks for my ftf book club's Feb. selection; so it looks like Feb will be a non-fiction month for me.
Count me in!
Sally

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 02:47:07 PM »
Hooray, SALLY!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 03:09:53 PM »
Sally, that's great - and just in time for the Prologue discussion beginning Feb.1. See the tentative schedule in the heading.  I think you're going to like love this book!

Olle

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 09:14:53 AM »
Hello again,
You can count me in for next month literary adventure.
It'll be a travel through time and European countries and with an Eastern touch.
I'm expecting a thrilling time.

Olle

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 10:51:19 AM »
Sally and Olle, I'm very glad that you'll be joining the discussion.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 12:53:30 PM »
I have the book but I may not be in as often - Spring business started off with a bang.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 03:45:09 PM »
I'm glad you'll join us as you can, Barbara. I guess it's good news that business is going well!

Frybabe

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »
I picked up my book from the Library this morning and am well into the rather lengthy, but very interesting prologue.

salan

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 06:06:59 PM »
I picked up the book this am and have started the prologue.
Sally

Babi

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 09:14:39 AM »
  It's  a pleasure to read this prologue, and get to know the author.  His love for his art...pottery..is evident.  His fascination with Japan, tho' I suppose that is natural enough, considering that the pottery of Japan is considered the finest in the world.
   And we have an opening introduction to his family, to his great-Uncle 'Iggie' and his wonderful collection of netsuke.  I began to feel I was taking a walk with a man I knew, a very interesting man,  a very gifted man.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2013, 10:26:37 AM »
Good thoughts, Babi. Everyone's comments have me looking forward to getting the book. I'm next in line at my library.    ;)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2013, 10:54:28 AM »
That's quite a prologue, isn't it, Babi? I couldn't help but think that de Waal's early experience in Japan was a prologue to his later quest of the netsuke history.  I wonder how he came to be the one of eight lucky scholarship winners. Two years and a trip to Japan  was quite an expensive prize, wasn't it? And a valuable personal experience as well - he got closer to Uncle Iggie while In Japan...and the netsuke collection.

Did you notice his reference to the "lost family fortune?"  I'm ready to hear more about the Ephrussis, aren't you?

Frybabe

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2013, 11:34:04 AM »
I like having the family tree, also. I've referenced it several times already. The author didn't want to dwell on the lost fortune aspect in the prologue. Perhaps we will get more of a glimpse in the main sections. It will not come as a surprise if I find that the money and property was confiscated during WWII.

BTW here is de Waal's website: http://www.edmunddewaal.com/about/profile/ click on Making and you get various museum exhibitions. Click on his name at the top and you get a full screen slide show.

salan

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2013, 01:16:02 PM »
Very interesting prologue.  I love the part where he says, "There is no easy story in legacy.  What is remembered and what is forgotten?  There can be a chain of forgetting, the rubbing away of previous ownership as much as the slow accretion of stories". 
I have found that true in my own family.  I had 3 sisters, 2 older and 1 younger and we took a "sisters' trip" every year.  When we reminesced (sp?), it was amazing how each of remembered the same event in different ways.
Sally