Author Topic: End of Your Life Book Club, The ~ Will Schwalbe ~ March Book Club PRE DISCUSSION  (Read 7269 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
 The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

Please post below if you can join us on March 1

“That’s one of the things that books do. They help us talk. But they also give us something we all can talk about when we don’t want to talk about ourselves.”

In The End of Your Life Book Club, Will and Mary Anne Schwalbe share their hopes and concerns with each other—and rediscover their lives—through their favorite books...

"This is the inspiring true story of a son and his mother, who start a “book club” that brings them together as her life comes to a close. Over the next two years, Will and Mary Anne carry on conversations that are both wide-ranging and deeply personal, prompted by an eclectic array of books and a shared passion for reading.

Throughout, they are constantly reminded of the power of books to comfort us, astonish us, teach us, and tell us what we need to do with our lives and in the world. Reading isn’t the opposite of doing; it’s the opposite of dying."

Will Schwalbe
Discussion Schedule:
March 1 - 8 --  to page 83 (end of The Hobbit)
March 8 - 15 -- to page 169 (end of The Painted Veil)
March 15 - 22 -- to page 249 (end of Girls Like Us)
March 23 - 31 -- to page 329 (finish)

DISCUSSION LEADERS: Pedln &  PatH

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: The End of Your Life Book Club ~ Will Schwalbe ~ March Book Club Online
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 09:14:42 PM »
We're really happy to announce the result of our recent  vote for March discussion. This book is so much more than the title implies.  You will be moved, yes, but in a good way.  And your TBR pile will surely grow!  Just what you needed, right?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 08:40:04 AM »
This book is a keeper.  I've just finished it and am now looking forward to reading it again.  There is so much there, I know I'll want to refer to it again and again.

And it's not just the books, but also the amazing Schwalbe family.  It was a delight to meet them

JoanP's right about your TBR pile.  And maybe now you'll want a Re-Read pile too.  There's just so much to think and talk about there.  I do hope you'll join us in March.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 12:13:09 PM »
Sounds great. I'll be there.

Jean

CallieOK

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 06:21:40 PM »
X    :)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 10:00:13 PM »
That's great, Jean, Callie...this is going to be a good discussion....

CallieOK

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 10:15:59 PM »
I have reserved the book at my library. There is only one person ahead of me.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 06:59:20 AM »
You're lucky, Callie.  My library doesn't have it yet--it's on order--and there are 60 people already in line.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 11:13:42 AM »
60 people!!  I hope you find a copy somewhere, PatH.

Calle, it's sound like you have a good chance of getting it soon.   That's great. 

I'm glad that you all are joining us, and will echo JoanP -- it's going to be a good discussion.

Jonathan

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 11:55:07 AM »
What a curious book. I'm a third of the way through it, after picking up a copy last night. An enthusiastic young clerk told me how much she had enjoyed it, could hardly stop talking about it. A very uplifting book, she said, despite its somber title. And she would seem to be right. It looks to me like a book for uncertain times, with strange twists. For example, we're told that the prayers of a heathen are even more effective than the prayers of true believers.

I find the book providing much food for thought. Perhaps because it serves up so many other books for enjoyment. Strangely, it reminds me of another book I read many years ago, as a young man feeling undernourished: Adelle Davis's, Lets Eat Right To Keep Fit.

Count me among the pending.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 01:37:02 PM »
It took some looking, but I found one.  Hi, Jonathan, it's good to see you here.

Aberlaine

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »
A new book - I can only take it out of the library for two weeks and I don't read that fast.  Maybe I should buy the book or download it to my Kindle.  In either case, I'll be with you all on March 1st.

Nancy

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 07:04:25 PM »
I'm reading the book now, and it certainly lives up to expectations.  Given the subject matter, it's bittersweet, but the sweet outweighs the bitter, and as Jonathan says, it's uplifting.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 08:33:29 PM »
Nancy and Jonathan -- so glad you'll be with us.

I love what this book does to and for people.  I play cards with three other women about twice a month.  Last month I told them about this terrific book I was reading.  Then one of them went travelling, bought it at the airport, read it and lent it to one of the others,  and that one took it with her on a trip, but also requested the library to get it, and then lent it to the fourth member of our group. And today, she said , "Have you read this?" -- pointing to a title in the appendix, and "I got this at the library yesterday."

This book generates such excitement.

Jonathan

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 04:51:45 PM »
I see the Appendix as the happy ending to the book. Or the even happier beginning for the reader. One can get lost browsing in that green pasture of 200?  authors and titles. Amazing what Will and Mary Anne read and talked about. From Shaw to Shakespeare. Stieg Larsson to Patricia Highsmith. P.G. Wodehouse to F.W. Robertson. Arthur Miller to James Michener.

I've got some of Robertson's stuff. He was the 19c Brighton preacher who enjoyed preaching to the English working class about Wordsworth's poetry. At union meetings. The higher class got the gospel. In his church. Himself was caught between the two.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 12:30:40 PM »
I think I'd call it The Happy Beginning -- or maybe that would be the table of contents.

CallieOK

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 05:58:53 PM »
I have my reserved Library copy and am looking forward to starting it!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 06:27:34 PM »
Great, Callie, it's good you're here for sure.  You won't regret reading this book.

mabel1015j

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 08:44:41 PM »
Got my copy at the library yesterday. The first ten pages are a nice, easy read.. I like his style.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 02:23:29 PM »
I do too, Jean. It's very relaxing to read.  And I'm glad you got your copy.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 03:40:48 PM »
This is trouble!  An easy read with tempting titles already.  What a combination!  Already I have one of the suggested titles waiting for me on hold at the library.  I'm in their book club and our first meeting isn't until March 1!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 04:36:06 PM »
You're in big trouble, JoanP; the appendix of books mentioned has almost 150 titles. ;)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 09:34:17 PM »
And I've already downloaded two of those titles to my Kindle.  One of them was free, and the other I really want to read and the library doesn't have it.  Some discipline is going to be needed here.

150!!! You counted?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 06:24:39 AM »
No, I counted the number on one page and multiplied by the number of pages, so it's approximate.

mabel1015j

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 12:17:08 PM »
 :D

Jonathan

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 03:10:54 PM »
You're right, Ann, about finding the 'happiness' in the table of contents. Isn't that an amazing list of titles. How will we ever get around to talking about all of them. No doubt everyone will find a few favorites, and be curious about the rest. Good times or bad, reading is the only certain therapy.

I've finished the book. I feel strangely moved. I found myself thinking I might have been travelling on the  the doomed Titanic with its glorious ballroom, dancing to the ship's orchestra playing Alexander's Ragtime Band, and then finally, Nearer My God To Thee.

marjifay

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 06:27:26 AM »
Well, hate to be a party pooper, but I reached around page 50 and doubt I'll go on.  For one thing, I've been thru chemotheraphy and have no desire to go thru it in a book.  Second, I didn't much care for his remarks about Ian McEwan or John O'Hara (I really liked Appointment in Samarra).  I assume the rest of the book will be more of his rather cursory remarks about a bunch of other books he read.  

Can't believe this was a best seller.  But then, neither could I believe that Argo could be chosen best film of the year.  LOL.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »
I'm sorry you won't be with us, marjifay, we'll miss you, but there's no point in reading a book you don't like.

I haven't read McEwan or O'Hara, but Schwalbe does indeed comment on a lot of books.  Sometimes I agree with him and sometimes I don't, but I find his comments interesting.

I haven't had to endure chemotherapy, but I've been in Will's position with my husband, my parents, and two close friends.  I was afraid I would find the book painful, but I don't.  To me, the main point of the book is discovery, and he paints a moving and interesting picture.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 11:54:30 AM »
One of the things I'm looking forward to in this discussion, right alongside Will and Mary Anne's comments on these books - is our readers' comments!  This input from multiple sources will be most helpful in deciding whether or not to try a book not yet read.  I'm about half way through one of the books mentioned in the early chapters - and can't wait to hear what others thought of it! Will hold back for three more days!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 02:09:37 PM »
Hello, Joan; after a month in AZ visiting and enjoying sunshine (OH, how wonderful), I'm back home, still not "together" but I have read this book and liked it.  And want to be in the discussion.

I think I bought the book and then gave it to someone, but I will look around.   I remember I read one of the books the mother and son discussed and also enjoyed it.

It will be an interesting discussion, but I can understand Marjifay's attitude.  Most of us, I would imagine, have had someone we know with cancer and chemo.   My neighbor, at this time, is going through it. 

However, the idea of discussing books with a close friend for distraction, as in this book, is a good idea if both like to read.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 02:54:16 PM »
Welcome, Ella, it's great to have you with us.  I hope you can find your book.

Yes, the book isn't for everyone.  I read some of it before committing to make sure it was for me.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 05:49:28 PM »
I just got the book but have not had time for perusing it.  I must get busy.

Welcome home, Ella! :)  Did Cindy tell you that we talked with her last week while you were still gone?  She truly loves her job, doesn't she!!  It was so nice to visit with her for awhile at the VA while Ralph went through his annual exam.

See you all on the 1st!

"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Jonathan

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 09:29:07 PM »
This book, in my opinion, can be whatever one makes of it. It takes a little effort, but it can be very enjoyable. I have a problem with the title. Too close to home, perhaps. I can see that it would catch younger, inquisitive readers. It would be closer to my liking if it was titled Books in Passing, or, Mom's Library. What better monument to his mother whose life closed with a huge effort to build libraries in Afghanistan. And so we get to wonder: why this book, why that book? We'll miss your input, Marj.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 12:48:12 PM »
Ella and Annie, so glad you will be with us.  Marjifay, don't leave us so soon.  Regardless of  your feelings about the book, the discussion should prove fascinating and enlightening and your input will certainly be welcome.

Jonathan --
his mother whose life closed with a huge effort to build libraries in Afghanistan
  Good point.  I'm so glad  you said that.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2013, 10:21:28 AM »
Hello ANN, PEDLIN AND ALL.

ANN, COME VISIT ME!   Get out of Gahanna now and then!!

Have book in hand, will be present March lst; however, have eye surgery on the 15th so may/may not finish the discussion.

JONATHAN, Books in Passing???   What does that mean?  Mom's Passing?

Perhaps I am alone in my repudiation, my dislike of the phrase -" s/he passed"   When did we start to use that word instead of saying "she died."  They mean the same; obviously someone, somewhere, thought "passing" was more delicate perhaps?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2013, 12:20:29 PM »
Ella, if it's cataract surgery, you'll probably be back in commission pretty fast.  Don't be disconcerted by what your vision does at first--it takes a week or two for it to settle down.

mabel1015j

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 01:11:20 PM »
A very quick search gave me the info that "passing" re:death is from "passing over." first used in 1869, which is surprising to me.

Jean

Jonathan

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 02:05:23 PM »
The best euphemism of them all, I feel, is Tennyson's 'crossing the bar'. Putting 'out to sea', embarking,  breaking the bonds of Time and Place, 'when that which drew from out the boundless deep turns again home'.

Good point, Ella, obsequies are out of fashion. The funeral service has become the 'celebration of a life'. And this book is that as much as anything. 'Passing' does seem ambiguous, as you pointed out, but I thought of 'passing', as passing in review, books more so than a life. Is it becoming a new genre. Is the author following in the footsteps of Christopher Buckley and his Losing Mum and Pup? I found that a marvellous book. What a eulogy. For all her posterity, Mary Ann Schwalbe will forever be the great reader. I presume she put bookplates into all her books. Must watch for one at the book sales.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2013, 07:43:46 AM »
Pre discussion Ends today. Stay tuned...

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager