Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2013 & Other PBS Programs  (Read 82885 times)

jeriron

Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2013 & Other PBS Programs
« Reply #280 on: October 15, 2013, 09:05:26 AM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2013 presents the best British mysteries. See the complete 2013 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule.  

Post a message about your favorite Masterpiece and PBS programs during November in the discussion below and you could win a copy of the new book "Making Masterpiece: 25 years Behind the Scenes at Masterpiece Theatre and Mystery! on PBS" by Rebecca Eaton. (You must reside in the contiguous U.S. to be eligible to receive the book.) Read our review of the book and information about the book giveaway made possible by Masterpiece PBS.    
NOW DISCUSSING
Let's talk about any PBS program of interest to us

The Paradise, Season 1
October 6 - November 17

Based on Émile Zola’s beloved classic novel, Au Bonheur des Dames, The Paradise revolves around the lives of the people who live and work in Britain's glamorous first department store, The Paradise. Each is bound in his or her own way by the power of the world they live in, and the pasts that follow them there. A love story, mystery, and social comedy all in one, the lavish costume drama stars Joanna Vanderham (What Maisie Knew) as Denise and Emun Elliot (Game of Thrones) as Moray, alongside Sarah Lancashire (Upstairs Downstairs), Elaine Cassidy (A Room with a View) and Patrick Malahide (Game of Thrones).

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Foyle's War, Season VII
September 15 -29, three 90 minute episodes

Detective Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle is again in pursuit of criminals who are taking advantage of the confusion created by World War II.

Silk
August 25 - September 8, three 120 minute episodes

Two rival barristers, one an idealistic defense lawyer and the other a ruthless prosecutor, compete for the prestigious appointment as Queen's Counsel in three episodes of high-stakes cases in criminal law.

The Lady Vanishes
August 18 - 90 minutes

A young socialite suspects foul play when a young woman inexplicably disappears from a train, in a stylish and suspenseful new adaptation of the classic thriller The Lady Vanishes, based on the 1936 novel, The Wheel Spins, by Ethel Lina White.

Three episodes of ENDEAVOUR reveal the rocky start of Inspector Morse's career in the police force.

In the all-new 2013 season, Lewis and Hathaway tackle three cases in the seemingly perfect academic haven of Oxford: Down Among the Fearful (June 16), The Ramblin' Boy (June 23), and Intelligent Design (June 30). Guest stars include Peter Davison (Doctor Who) and Edward Fox (Ghandi, Foyle's War).

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

MaryPage

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2436887/The-Paradise-Sarah-Lancashire-quits-middle-series-blaming-clash-BBC-show.html

MaryPage

« Reply #281 on: October 15, 2013, 12:55:16 PM »
Boy, I sure am having a problem figuring THAT one out!

You see, my puzzle is that I thought Last Tango in Halifax was a one season deal;  in short, that the story was over.  Told in full.  Done.  THE END!

So was it so popular they are going to try to write and film a second season?  How COULD they?  I mean, the story really IS over.  For us.  We none of us want to see Derek and/or Anne die.  Do we?

If they ARE going to do another season of Tango, then understanding rushes in.  The role of Caroline in Last Tango In Halifax is a much bigger and juicier part than the one of Miss Audrey in The Paradise.  Shoosh!  I would choose Tango in a heartbeat.

But I remain kerflummoxed over their trying more Tango.  I mean, don't YOU?

MaryPage

« Reply #282 on: October 15, 2013, 12:59:56 PM »
Oh gosh!  They did!  Read down starting at paragraph three (3).

Who knew?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Tango_in_Halifax

jeriron

« Reply #283 on: October 15, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »
They've finished filming the second season already. I wasn't surprised because I had read that there was a second season.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #284 on: October 15, 2013, 05:08:07 PM »
Now I thought that the Sunday showing was the last of the series. I did think it sort of ended leaving nothing settled other than him not dying and them making up.. I can see now lots of story lines to be  done. Suppose they will start with the 2getting married but then that can't do much else for them. So will be the younger people.
I will just be happy to keep seeing my home area and hearing their accents.  Those two things I miss.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #285 on: October 15, 2013, 05:33:29 PM »
Well we do have Celia accepting her daughter's lifestyle - she and Alan do appear to be on the way to an alter - which one is still up in the air - the school chapel seems to be the last favorite with Kate playing the organ - but what about John - that is up in the air - and does Gillian really get together with Robbie without a lot of mish mash - and what about the guy all busted up living on her sofa - then there are the three boys - Raff, William and Lawrence. And finally how does Kate and Caroline keep their feelings for each other a secret at school without aggressive faculty wanting to advance using it and student parents coming unglued - I can see lots of mischief in this group of characters.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #286 on: October 16, 2013, 08:12:07 PM »
Now did it end Sunday and we have to wait for another series to start?. if so, when  is that suppose to be?.

Frybabe

« Reply #287 on: October 17, 2013, 08:24:59 AM »
I thought Paradise is to run through Nov.17.

I've been waiting for the next series of Wallander to show up. Originally, I thought it was going to be aired beginning in Oct. Branagh was going to be doing The White Lioness (a favorite of mine) and at least one other for a final series. I cannot find any info of it ever actually being put into production. Not even IMDB is listing work on it. Maybe they gave up the idea, but I don't see any announcements that they cancelled the project either.

Frybabe

« Reply #288 on: October 17, 2013, 08:30:39 AM »
Okay, I did find something on IMDB finally. It looks like they've pushed Wallander to 2014 with The White Lioness only one episode (it deserves two) and The Troubled Man which will be two episodes. I have not read The Troubled Man yet even though I've had the book for a while. Chock that up to my continuing marathon of SciFi reads.

MaryPage

« Reply #289 on: October 18, 2013, 12:00:23 PM »
I saw a Wallander on my PBS station last night.  It was one I had seen twice before, but I still enjoyed it.

MaryPage

« Reply #290 on: October 19, 2013, 08:58:41 AM »
Had delicious fun with another Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries last night.  Phryne and the Inspector are getting closer and closer.  Loved their doing Gilbert & Sullivan, but cannot understand how they did the ghost, even though they explained it.  For me, an explanation is no good if I still own no understanding.  Sort of reminds me of sitting in Geometry class and listening to a theorem being explained.  I never came out the wiser!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #291 on: October 20, 2013, 05:18:16 PM »
MaryPage, you are lucky that  your PBS station shows so many good programs.

MaryPage

« Reply #292 on: October 21, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
I am, Marcie!  I am!

Last night I watched The Paradise, and loved it.  Then I watched POV 56Up and it is still fascinating to watch the years go by with that group of 7 year olds from 49 years ago that Point of View began filming.  How each has turned out is so very interesting.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #293 on: October 21, 2013, 08:37:41 PM »
Yes the 56up was on here the other day - looks like we are having the Father Brown mysteries - fun I never did read the book so this is a treat.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #294 on: October 22, 2013, 08:27:14 PM »
I am enjoying The Paradise too. I'm very curious to see where they are going to take the main characters this season and the next.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #295 on: October 22, 2013, 09:41:49 PM »
From Amazon

Also known as Au Bonheur des Dames; The Ladies' Delight or The Ladies' Paradise; is the eleventh novel in the Rougon-Macquart series by Émile Zola. The novel is set in the world of the department store, an innovative development in mid-nineteenth century retail sales. Zola models his store after Le Bon Marché, which consolidated under one roof many of the goods hitherto sold in separate shops. In Au Bonheur des Dames, the store is a symbol of capitalism, the modern city and the bourgeois family. It is emblematic of changes in consumer culture, sexual attitudes and class relations taking place at the end of the century. The novel tells the story of Denise Baudu, a 20-year-old woman from Valognes who comes to Paris with her brothers and begins working at the department store Au Bonheur des Dames as a saleswoman. Zola describes the inner workings of the store from the employees' perspective, including the 13-hour workdays, the substandard food and the bare lodgings (for the female staff). Many of the conflicts in the novel spring from the struggles for advancement and the malicious infighting and gossip among the staff.

Au Bonheur des Dames is a sequel to "Pot-Bouille". Like its predecessor, Au Bonheur des Dames focuses on Octave Mouret (b. 1840), who at the end of the previous novel married Caroline Hédouin, the owner of a small silk shop. Now a widower, Octave has expanded the business into an international retail powerhouse occupying (at the beginning of the book) most of an entire city block.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #296 on: October 22, 2013, 09:58:34 PM »
I've ordered this - the first in the series that includes: Germinal, (exposes the inhuman conditions of miners in northern France in the 1860s) and Nana, (Zola's scathing denunciation of hypocrisy and fin-de-siècle moral corruption) - seems The Paradise is the only story in the series where the crushing life of France on its citizens during the Second Empire is not as harsh. Zola had symbolized the call for freedom from oppression.

The Fortune of the Rougons is the first in Zola's famous Rougon-Macquart series of novels. In it we learn how the two branches of the family came about, and the origins of the hereditary weaknesses passed down the generations. Murder, treachery, and greed are the keynotes, and just as the Empire was established through violence, the "fortune" of the Rougons is paid for in blood.

Set in the fictitious Provençal town of Plassans, The Fortune of the Rougons tells the story of Silvère and Miette, two idealistic young supporters of the republican resistance to Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte's coup d'état of December 1851. They join the woodcutters and peasants of the Var to seize control of Plassans, and are opposed by the Bonapartist loyalists led by Silvère's uncle, Pierre Rougon. Meanwhile, the foundations of the Rougon family and its illegitimate Macquart branch are being laid in the brutal beginnings of the Imperial regime.

Brian Nelson provides an engaging translation as well as a wide-ranging introduction that explains the background to the Rougon-Macquart series as well as the historical setting of the novel and its special qualities. This edition also features a chronology, bibliography, and extensive explanatory notes.

MaryPage

« Reply #297 on: October 28, 2013, 06:34:32 AM »
I don't much like murder getting into the story of The Paradise.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #298 on: October 28, 2013, 09:39:43 AM »
I have recorded the last two Paradise episodes and will watch them this week.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #299 on: October 31, 2013, 02:02:24 PM »
Never did start watching Paradise. Now is there a book out that it is taken from?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #300 on: October 31, 2013, 03:33:41 PM »
MaryPage - I missed the show this past week and could not stay up till the early hours of the morning when it repeats so I watched online that for me with my computer the voice is not as clear - however, I did not hear murder only that he was going to get rid of him - my thought was during this time it was easy to take someone dockside and have him hijacked to serve aboard a ship - so that was how I thought he got rid of him - I am thinking if it were murder the story would take a very different direction where as if it is close to the 2 books Moray's ability to magnetically get his way and the back biting by the store staff would no longer be the featured entanglements. I will try to make time to watch it again and listen to hear what they say.

MaryPage

« Reply #301 on: October 31, 2013, 04:45:58 PM »
Oh, Barbara, I do so hope you are right.  Not that I like the notion of shanghaiing, but that is ever so preferable to murder!  Never occurred to me it might be something other than murder, though!

Jeanne, The Paradise is taken from a French book by Emile Zola.  It has been set in England, as you well know, and changed somewhat.  This was mentioned early on in this discussion, and then Barbara went into quite a bit of detail just a few posts back.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #302 on: October 31, 2013, 06:48:23 PM »
I assumed that it might be murder too, though it may be what the screenwriters intend you to think but not what we'll find out happened.

Jeanne, The Paradise is based on Émile Zola’s novel, Au Bonheur des Dames.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #303 on: November 02, 2013, 01:10:25 PM »
So, no translation? I don't find one in my library.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #304 on: November 02, 2013, 02:29:08 PM »
Jeanne I believe there is about a dozen books to the series and the English translation is The Ladies Paradise - there is an earlier book called, Pot Luck, about this same family character when he was young and he first worked at the store that he turned into the Paradise. The TV version seems to combine a bit from the first book and the boy who is the store mascot that was a found baby in the store is from Pot Luck

MaryPage

« Reply #305 on: November 03, 2013, 04:03:12 PM »
All of Zola has been translated for a very long time.  Lots of libraries have no shelf room for books that have no present day following.  If you want to read him, perhaps a used copy from Thriftbooks or some such would be the way to go.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #306 on: November 05, 2013, 03:01:20 PM »
What did you think about the latest episode of THE PARADISE? I think we got more of a hint about what happened to the barber though nothing was specifically stated. Moray seems to care for and respect shopgirl Denise but is beholding to the father of Katherine Glendenning. What's he going to do now that Denise has told him she loves him. He's just gotten engaged to Katherine. I think that the acting makes up for the soap opera plot.

Tomereader1

« Reply #307 on: November 05, 2013, 05:38:02 PM »
Is this the PBS Masterpiece discussion I need to post to to be entered in the Making Masterpiece sweepstakes?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #308 on: November 05, 2013, 09:11:14 PM »
Yes, this is the discussion tomereader. We'll be keeping track of all usernames  who post in this discussion through the end of the month and then select four at random for a copy of the book. Each username will be counted only once no matter how many times you post.

Here is the info that is now in the heading at the top of this discussion:

Post a message about your favorite Masterpiece and PBS programs during November in the discussion below and you could win a copy of the new book "Making Masterpiece: 25 years Behind the Scenes at Masterpiece Theatre and Mystery! on PBS" by Rebecca Eaton. Read our review of the book and information about the book giveaway made possible by Masterpiece PBS.   

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #309 on: November 05, 2013, 09:39:53 PM »
Well it is forever old - with all the blockbuster period pieces that have fabulous actor playing superb parts in beyond belief settings my favorite series is still Reckless - a young surgeon meets and falls in love with an older woman who happens to be his boss', the chief surgeon's, wife

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/archive/programs/reckless/fulld.html

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #310 on: November 06, 2013, 02:14:30 AM »
Barbara, I hadn't heard of Reckless. I do like Francesca Annis and Michael Kitchen. I laughed at the article's description of Kitchen's role: "....Dr. Richard Crane, played with exquisite arrogance by Michael Kitchen."

MaryPage

« Reply #311 on: November 06, 2013, 08:43:58 AM »
I remember RECKLESS very well, indeed;  and agree the acting was superb.

I still think Jonas killed that barber, Burroughs, though I also still hope not.  I checked the cast by Googling:  list cast of The Paradise, and it shows that so far that actor has only appeared in 1 episode.

I am still enjoying the show very much.  There was no Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries shown on Friday.  I guess we have seen all of the first season, and my PBS channel has not yet bought the second.  Am enjoying reruns of Kenneth Branagh as Wallander, and Dalziel & Pascoe, and D.I. Banks, and Midsomer Murders, and Miss Marple, and George Gently.  They are all wonderful.  Thank God for Public Television, or I should go mad!

nlhome

« Reply #312 on: November 06, 2013, 02:42:23 PM »
We've had "Death in Paradise" here - Set in the Caribbean. I've watched a few of those. Also, finally, saw a couple of Dalziel & Pascoe episodes.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #313 on: November 06, 2013, 04:09:44 PM »
nlhome., I found a few Death in Paradise episodes in my cable "on demand." I like the character of the police officer who's been sent over from England and wears his suit and tie on the beaches.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #314 on: November 06, 2013, 05:48:11 PM »
I am having a hard time remembering what I have watch this month on PBS or Masterpiece. Not been watching  these weekly Sunday night ones. Just the ones coming on prior to them at 7pm Liked the one on Manor houses and also the one showing the time of Henry 8th. and the places he had built. Really like the Tower of London one the other week.  Ours just seem to be repeating everything these last few months. Other Station out east seem to show lots more.

The book that you will be giving.  I got it from the library a few months ago.  A good read.  Good luck everyone.

Oh! I forgot.  I really loved the "Last Tango In Halifax." Can't wait for its return. Along with "Dalton Abbey". 
'

bluebird24

« Reply #315 on: November 10, 2013, 07:52:46 PM »
Some I like are
Great performances dance and music
Baking with Julia
New scandivian cooking

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #316 on: November 10, 2013, 08:59:17 PM »
Welcome bluebird. I enjoy some of the dance and music programs, especially "musical theater."

MaryPage

« Reply #317 on: November 11, 2013, 07:26:08 AM »
I had some phone calls and missed some of The Paradise last night, but I think I caught enough of it to keep up with the story.  Wonder where it is going.  That gal he is engaged to has a personality that just is not happy unless plotting and planning something nefarious.  Cannot imagine being like that;  it makes her so detestable.  I think to her father as well as her "beloved."

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #318 on: November 11, 2013, 11:20:08 AM »
MaryPage, yes, Katherine seems to need a lot of reassurance. She does crazy things for attention. Clara, the shop girl, seems very similar. She is jealous of Denise and has planted the idea that Denise has had a relationship with Moray in Katherine's mind. Katherine's father has seen that Moray favors Denise. We'll have to wait until next week to see what's going to happen next!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #319 on: November 11, 2013, 12:27:56 PM »
Yes, Denise is Moray's other love interest?  I hope he finds a way to drop Catherine as she is really a perverse lady and real trouble maker.  What do you think of the manager, ??????, who seems also to be a trouble maker but a nice one?
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey