Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2013 & Other PBS Programs  (Read 83044 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2013 & Other PBS Programs
« Reply #320 on: November 11, 2013, 03:41:20 PM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2013 presents the best British mysteries. See the complete 2013 MASTERPIECE schedule.  

Post a message about your favorite Masterpiece and PBS programs during November in the discussion below and you could win a copy of the new book "Making Masterpiece: 25 years Behind the Scenes at Masterpiece Theatre and Mystery! on PBS" by Rebecca Eaton. (You must reside in the contiguous U.S. to be eligible to receive the book.) Read our review of the book and information about the book giveaway made possible by Masterpiece PBS.    
NOW DISCUSSING
Let's talk about any PBS program of interest to us.

Encore episodes of Downton Abbey, Seasons 1-3, have been showing on many PBS stations and will continue in December. Season 4 of Downton Abbey will begin on January 5, 2014. Sherlock, Season 3, will premiere on Sunday, January 19, following the 9pm broadcast of Downton Abbey. Benedict Cumberbatch (The Fifth Estate, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit, The Office UK) will return as Sherlock Holmes and John Watson in three new 90-minute episodes of the contemporary reinvention of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle classic, created by Steven Moffat (Doctor Who) and Mark Gatiss. Watch episodes on TV or online after they air.

See our last year's PBS Masterpiece Classic 2012-2013 discussion for information about the Downton Abbey episodes.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

The Paradise, Season 1
October 6 - November 17

Based on Émile Zola’s beloved classic novel, Au Bonheur des Dames, The Paradise revolves around the lives of the people who live and work in Britain's glamorous first department store, The Paradise. Each is bound in his or her own way by the power of the world they live in, and the pasts that follow them there. A love story, mystery, and social comedy all in one, the lavish costume drama stars Joanna Vanderham (What Maisie Knew) as Denise and Emun Elliot (Game of Thrones) as Moray, alongside Sarah Lancashire (Upstairs Downstairs), Elaine Cassidy (A Room with a View) and Patrick Malahide (Game of Thrones).

Foyle's War, Season VII
September 15 -29, three 90 minute episodes

Detective Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle is again in pursuit of criminals who are taking advantage of the confusion created by World War II.

Silk
August 25 - September 8, three 120 minute episodes

Two rival barristers, one an idealistic defense lawyer and the other a ruthless prosecutor, compete for the prestigious appointment as Queen's Counsel in three episodes of high-stakes cases in criminal law.

The Lady Vanishes
August 18 - 90 minutes

A young socialite suspects foul play when a young woman inexplicably disappears from a train, in a stylish and suspenseful new adaptation of the classic thriller The Lady Vanishes, based on the 1936 novel, The Wheel Spins, by Ethel Lina White.

Three episodes of ENDEAVOUR reveal the rocky start of Inspector Morse's career in the police force.

In the all-new 2013 season, Lewis and Hathaway tackle three cases in the seemingly perfect academic haven of Oxford: Down Among the Fearful (June 16), The Ramblin' Boy (June 23), and Intelligent Design (June 30). Guest stars include Peter Davison (Doctor Who) and Edward Fox (Ghandi, Foyle's War).

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

I think for Moray it will be a struggle of head over heart - to drop Katherine means risking his financial backup investments - not only for the store but her father and friends have backed him in the purchase of all the leases on the street.

Katherine wants success for him but she wants the credit for achieving what he cannot achieve where as Denise wants success for the enterprise that will advance her ambitious drive that appears natural to bring about success. However, she is of the wrong class and he will not further his dream without venture capitol that she cannot offer nor does she have the contacts.

Not sure how the partner fits into this - I am not even sure I know what his job entails - he seems to be a peacemaker and a non-threatening ear for the employees - Dudley has a family but I do not get the impression he is socially connected to the "right" people.

As to Jones - he is an independent all the way isn't he - he will not accept Dudley's help because that would give Dudley the edge that in an earlier episode we saw him baiting Jones who did not respect his authority - Jones will be under no one's foot and the coming attractions were ominous that Jones may have dumped the Barber into the river.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #321 on: November 12, 2013, 11:10:40 AM »
Yes, Annie, In the latest episode we learned more about the "store detective" (I had to look up his role in the store), Jonas Franks. He became a more sympathetic character now that we know how he lost his arm and know more about how he felt about Moray's deceased wife. He still seems to think that Moray harbors a dark secret. Is that the character you mean?

The manager, Dudley, doesn't seem like a trouble maker. As you say, Barbara, Dudley seems to be more of a peacemaker, although he isn't aware of all of the facts when he attempts to  help people. He was one who kept telling Moray to marry Katherine.

In the episode Moray told Denise something about his last minutes with his wife so we know more now. Jonas' actions re the barber were not necessary to "save" Moray.  It does seem, from the previews, that the barber's body has been found. More plot to be revealed!

Here is a page with the main cast: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/character-hub/series/paradise-s1/

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #322 on: November 12, 2013, 12:09:36 PM »
aha Jonas rather than Jones -   ::) :D
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

MaryPage

« Reply #323 on: November 12, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »
Well I adore Sarah Lancashire, who plays Miss Audrey, no matter what she is playing.  She is a wonderful actress.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #324 on: November 13, 2013, 10:42:01 AM »

The publisher of the Rebecca Eaton's Making Masterpiece is putting a link to our site on their Twitter page.  We might have some visitors to the site.  Be sure to extend a warm welcome  if you notice newcomers!  We'd like for them to stay once they find us! 

I'd like to win a copy of the book in the drawing too - so will post here about my favorites to be included in the drawing~

While I love the period pieces, I can't forget Henning Mankell's  Wallendar series, dealing with  serious modern issues in Sweden...the same the world-over, I suppose.  At first, I thought the programs were a bit too graphic, but they grew on me. The very human, vulnerable Wallendar has the same problem facing these issues as I had watching them.  Kenneth Branagh IS Wallendar, isn't he?  I can't wait for the upcoming season.  Is Henning Mankell writing these stories as their popularity grows?

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #325 on: November 13, 2013, 02:06:38 PM »
Last night I. Watched a good DVDs. If you havn't seen it,do so. Bit of a tear jerker. Vanessa Redgrave and Terrance Stump. My favourites. Called "unfinished song."

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #326 on: November 13, 2013, 11:20:32 PM »
Isn't that Terrence Stamp??

I think of Kenneth Branaugh as the most boring actor still alive (although one wonders)!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #327 on: November 14, 2013, 07:26:30 PM »
Just watched I nice DVD. A few tears at the end.(mrs Palfrey at the Claremont
 With Joan Plowright.  Young man is new Rupert Friend. Good actor.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #328 on: November 14, 2013, 07:35:28 PM »
Yes, that was so well done wasn't it - seems to me I saw it as a repeat on KLRU our PBS channel. She is priceless as an actress isn't she.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #329 on: November 18, 2013, 03:04:54 PM »
The Swedish tv series of Wallendar is so much better than the British version.  Stands to reason, really. Filmed in Sweden, Swedes playing the parts.  Also paced better. The second series is on netflix and the first series can be rented from amazon (but not free from prime).  I am rationing myself and have been watching it slowly for some months.  I watch every show twice (to get my money's worth....I'm Scottish......no, really because it's SO good...) I have practically fallen in love with the Swedish guy who plays Wallender.  The series is so gripping.  New stories by Mankell.  After a while you start to learn Swedish.  The actors are all excellent.  Ola Rapace plays Linda's boyfriend and fellow cop, then they fall out.  W. has several failed relationships and is not nearly so gloomy as in the books.  I couldn't believe Mankell gave him Alzheimer's in the last book.  I think he must have been fed up with him.  But its strange because the character in the series seems much more youthful and in love with life, and M. wrote these stories for tv.
I agree, Adoannie, Kenneth Branagh is REALLY BORING at least, as Wallendar!

MaryPage

« Reply #330 on: November 18, 2013, 04:05:44 PM »
I like Kenneth Branaugh, and his interpretation suits me okay.  On the other hand, I much prefer Swedish movies to American or British ones, when it is a Swedish story.  Case in point:  the Swedish movies of books by Per Wahloo and Maj Sojwall.  The Swedish films were PERFECT;  the American stab at it was a horror.  Not a horror film, but a horribly done failure as a film.  And I own the 3 Swedish films of the books about the Girl Who by Steig Larsson, and while I did applaude the American version of the first one, the Swedish version was SO much better.  So I would really and truly like to see the Swedish versions of Wallendar.  I do not mind subtitles at all;  not one tiny bit.  I know quite a few people, though, including one of my daughters, sad to say, who refuse to even THINK of watching them!
Go figure!  It takes all kinds.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #331 on: November 18, 2013, 04:14:54 PM »
I watched the Swedish Wallender series on Netflix (with sub-titles), and I agree, Dana, it is much better than the Wallender with Branaugh.  It isn't nearly as gloomy and the stories seem more interesting and portrays Wallender as a topnotch detective.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #332 on: November 18, 2013, 04:17:26 PM »
Oh I bet you would love the Swedish Wallander series.  I also preferred the Swedish versions of Steig Larsson.  My favourite detective stories of all time, so far anyway, are the Wahloo Sjowall series.  I must have read then dozens of times since they first came out..  But I have never seen the movies!  Super.....will see if I can get them.......

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #333 on: November 18, 2013, 04:20:46 PM »
Thanks Dana, MaryPage and Jean, for those interesting insights about the Swedish Wallander.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #334 on: November 18, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
What did you all think about the ending of Season 1 of THE PARADISE? It's going to be a long wait for Season 2, (next year I assume) until we learn the fallout around Moray's decision.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #335 on: November 18, 2013, 10:53:47 PM »
Well, at least he finally made a decision that I liked.  Don't know about how next season will go since the series ended with a kiss.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

MaryPage

« Reply #336 on: November 19, 2013, 08:54:46 AM »
Have to admit that I am not one to wait around and see how things turn out.  Have already gone on line and Googled Series 2 episodes and can tell you.  Won't (tell you), but you may do the same if you wish.

jeriron

« Reply #337 on: November 19, 2013, 10:24:11 AM »
I read series 2 part one so I know that a year has passed. I won't spoil it for people who prefer to wait.
I usually read IMDB web site.

I like to check there to see what other people think about movie I have seen. But I don't read before I watch it.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #338 on: November 19, 2013, 01:54:57 PM »
Yes and if we were Brits we could download the episodes - looks like in keeping with the book the back and forth backbiting continues with the only change in the book it is among the help while this series has elevated the shenanigans to the owners, backers and managers of the store.

I was not as taken with the acting in this last segment - even the final seemed dull - no spark or passion - both the actress who plays Dennis and the actor who plays Moray seemed off their game.

Since we learned Sarah Lancashire leaves the show I wonder if that was the last performance by Miss Audrey - well done by both of them.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #339 on: November 19, 2013, 09:57:17 PM »
I too usually don't mind knowing what's going to happen in some shows. I can still enjoy them.

Encore episodes of Downton Abbey, Seasons 1-3, have been showing on many PBS stations and will continue in December. Season 4 of Downton Abbey will begin on January 5, 2014.

Sherlock, Season 3, will premiere on Sunday, January 19 at 10pm, following the 9pm broadcast of Downton Abbey.

Benedict Cumberbatch (The Fifth Estate, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit, The Office UK) will return as Sherlock Holmes and John Watson in three new 90-minute episodes of the contemporary reinvention of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle classic, created by Steven Moffat (Doctor Who) and Mark Gatiss.

“The Empty Hearse” – Sunday, January 19, 2014 at 10pm on MASTERPIECE

“The Sign of Three” – Sunday, January 26, 2014 at 10pm on MASTERPIECE

“His Last Vow” – Sunday, February 2, 2014 at 10pm on MASTERPIECE

MaryPage

« Reply #340 on: November 20, 2013, 08:14:46 AM »
I have become very attached to Benedict Cumberbatch.  I do not particularly like his version of Sherlock Holmes, but I love his acting and him.  I think it is the scripts I do not care much for.  But then again, I cut my eye teeth, as it were, on Basil Rathbone, who was and will ever remain my Holmes.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #341 on: November 20, 2013, 03:27:10 PM »
 :-*

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #342 on: November 21, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »
I didn't watch the first series of Sherlock Holmes on PBS and am watching them now on Netflix.  I'll be ready for Series 3 in January.  I've rewatched all the old Sherlock Holmes series, and they are my favorites.  I've never cared for Soap Operas (except for Dallas) or any type programming that goes on and on with a lot of family strife and infighting so haven't watched some of the shows on PBS and sometimes miss a good series.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #343 on: November 21, 2013, 08:12:28 PM »
MaryPage and Jean, I like all of the Sherlock Holmes series. I think that my favorite Sherlock is the early Jeremy Brett Holmes. Here's a nice photo of him: http://thenewdiogenesclub.blogspot.com/2011/06/jeremy-brett-week.html

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #344 on: November 21, 2013, 11:06:46 PM »
Marcie, he is my favorite also.  I recently looked at all his Sherlock Holmes series on Netflix and hated to see them end.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #345 on: November 21, 2013, 11:54:34 PM »
Yes, it's really hard to see a series end when you like the actors/characters. Seeing them again every few years is good. With my memory, I don't usually recall "who did it" in a lot of episodes so it's still fun to watch in re-runs.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #346 on: November 22, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
Since the first three seasons of Downton Abbey are being rebroadcast on many PBS stations you might want to check our last year's PBS Masterpiece Classic 2012-2013 discussion for information about those Downton Abbey episodes.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #347 on: November 25, 2013, 02:24:21 PM »
Oh you gotta hear this - I love it  :D  :D  :D Yesterday my three grandsons who live in Lubbock called and spent about an hour on the phone with me catching up - the twins are now 23 and Chris is 24 - typical West Texas kids full of themselves and excited about life in a part of the country where guys live by a rough tough and honest as the day is long code - your typical James Arness or Gary Cooper - Well Cody all proud of himself explains how they came across Downton Abbey on Youtube were intrigued and watched a show - the local Hastings was having a weekend half price sale and while taking advantage of the sale they saw you could rent all the aired series and so one by one they got together at Coopers apartment and watched - they really enjoyed and decided to risk all -

They went public  :o  sharing with their co-workers and other students so that now a bunch of these young men are all watching and talking about the show as they do a football game - I love it and realized there is far more in that show than just the romance - the characters downstairs provide as much suspense as some TV mysteries - and then the whole thing about the war - it brought the show into a new light for me but I am delighted to think that some of the values we think are lost on our young are now re-inforced in their lives if they are watching and enjoying this series.

salan

« Reply #348 on: November 25, 2013, 05:02:28 PM »
My favorites through the years:  Upstairs, Downstairs, The Midwife, Doc Martin, Ballykissangel, Downton Abbey, All Creatures Great and Small, and many others that I can't think of now. 
Quality programming!
Sally

nlhome

« Reply #349 on: November 25, 2013, 07:00:40 PM »
Barb, that's a great story.
Sally, I like all those, too. Another one I remember watching was "Danger, UXB"

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #350 on: November 26, 2013, 12:56:44 AM »
Barb, that's a wonderful story. It's interesting to view Downton Abbey in that new light.  Salan, I watched and enjoyed all of those shows except Ballykissangel. I'll have to search for it to see what that's about.

MaryPage

« Reply #351 on: November 26, 2013, 11:13:55 AM »
Don't forget AS TIME GOES BY.  That was my darling's favorite, and he watched an episode just about every day.  Had 'em all by heart, he did!

salan

« Reply #352 on: November 26, 2013, 05:20:59 PM »
Oh yes, As Time Goes By was also one of my favorites.  I also liked The Vicar of Dibley, and Lark Rise to Candleford.
Sally

MaryPage

« Reply #353 on: November 29, 2013, 08:50:56 AM »
I watched a sort of warm up to Season Six of Doc Martin last night.  All the major actors talking about their show and the town of Port Isaac.  Fun, and I am looking forward to Season Six being shown on my PBS channels.

Tomereader1

« Reply #354 on: November 29, 2013, 11:37:45 AM »
My favorite PBS Mystery would be "Prime Suspect", although most of the past and current Mystery Series would place well up there. 
Doc Martin, Downtown Abbey, Foyle's War (new and older), ouch, don't let me forget "New Tricks" (love that show)!  There is simply no topping Masterpiece, whatever categories!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #355 on: November 29, 2013, 12:07:47 PM »
MaryPage, that preview for the next season of Doc Martin sounds great. I'll have to look for it on my PBS station. Last evening I watched a re-broadcast of Carol Burnett receiving the Mark Twain Prize. See http://www.pbs.org/mark-twain-prize/

Tomereader, I have to confess that I haven't watched Prime Suspect. I'll probably catch up with it on DVD some day. I do love Doc Martin and Foyle's War. I had to look up NEW TRICKS. I've not heard of it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006t0qx

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #356 on: November 29, 2013, 12:33:14 PM »
My favorite PBS Masterpiece shows were Foyle's War and any of the Mystery series.  Also usually watch the PBS Newshour.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #357 on: November 29, 2013, 12:40:18 PM »
Really enjoyed "last tango in Halifax." Get to see some of the areas I knew growing up.  That was then. Now one would think of being in
Baghdad. Real Muslim city now.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #358 on: November 29, 2013, 12:56:49 PM »
RahRah on the NewsHour - what would we do Flajean without the newshour - although for awhile now I have seen how biased guests have infiltrated even the newshour but I do notice that subsequent news often the next night and running for a couple of nights is the opposite and more popular viewpoint.  

MaryPage

« Reply #359 on: November 29, 2013, 01:19:23 PM »
I notice no one has mentioned SCOTT and BAILEY, which our Maryland Public Television (MPT) has been showing for a couple of months now.  It is an hour long BBC import.  A police crime program, with the head of the department being an extremely intelligent woman and Scott and Bailey being two police detectives under her.  Fascinating show, and I have come to love both Scott and Bailey.  Anyone besides me get this one?
You can Google Search this show and find heaps of sites on which to read all about it.