Author Topic: Greater Journey, The by David McCullough ~July Book Club Online  (Read 9838 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: The Greater Journey by David McCullough ~July Book Club Online
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

July Book Club Online

July 14, Bastille Day! Post below if you can join us, s'il vous plait!

The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris
by David McCullough

"Magnifique! I should have known--McCullough is one of my favorite history writers, and he's writing about nineteenth-century Paris, one of my favorite places to read/think/dream about.  When I was young I always wanted to go to Paris--but not Francois Mitterand's Paris. No, I wanted Degas' Paris, Balzac's Paris, Toulouse-Lautrec's Paris. Well, this was an extended visit to that same Paris but through fresh eyes."  Goodreads review

"In The Greater Journey, David McCullough tells the enthralling, inspiring—and until now, untold—story of the adventurous American artists, writers, doctors, politicians, and others who set off for Paris in the years between 1830 and 1900, hungry to learn and to excel in their work. What they achieved would profoundly alter American history." Amazon review

Come join us in July as we discover what caught David McCullough's attention  about this particular period in history and how it influenced American History.  

Discussion Schedule:

Week 1 - July 14 - 21 ~ Part I/ Chapters 1 & 2
Week 2 - July 21 - 27 ~ Part I/ Chapters 3 & 4  
Week 3 - July 28 - Aug. 3 ~ Part II/ Chapters 5 & 6
Week 4 - Aug. 4 - 10 ~ Part II/ Chapters 7 & 8
Week 5 - Aug. 11 - 17 ~ Part III/ Chapters 9, 10, 11
Week 6-  Aug. 18 - 24 ~ Part III/ Chapters 12,13,14

Discussion Leaders:   JoanP,  PatH  Barb,  JoanK,   Marci

mabel1015j

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2014, 12:11:04 AM »
Hooray! My library reopened on Tues and i got the book!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2014, 08:42:39 AM »
Jean - I just knew your library would find a copy of the book in time for the discussion!  Great!  - Except I was looking forward to hearing about your trip to Better World Books!  Another time maybe?  I see you found another used book store near you... Were you referring to Better World by any chance?

Barbara - French cuisine is featured in the early chapters of McCullough's book.  Can't wait to hear from you on that!

Oh, and Jonathan,  please keep with us - you don't know how much your dry humor is appreciated!  And Jackie, Mrs.Sherlock. you have the same gift  - if you can make light of lost work! ;)  Hoping you can  get over it soon and redo, at least the highlights of that lost post.

Annie, hope the brother is doing better with his sisters in his corner.  Hoping your granddaughter has a great trip - maybe her husband can be our man in France?

Everyone - tout le monde - If you've started reading the first chapters, we hope are taking a few notes to start off the discussion with a bang  on Monday morning - Bastille Day!  

mabel1015j

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2014, 10:56:12 AM »
No Joan, when went to where BWBs was supposed to be, it wasn't there any more. Actually i figured out that they were probably talking abt a BWB drop rather then a store. But, yes! I found another good store even closer to me and i've sent the word out to all my booky friends so we can keep it alive.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2014, 12:30:13 PM »
Hurray we start on Monday, Bastille Day

Monet's Bastille Day on Rue Montorqueil

And of course the horsemen of the French Republican Guard

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

mrssherlock

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2014, 01:32:19 PM »
This is the first of three posts.  My surfing found this review of Journey
.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/books/review/book-review-the-greater-journey-americans-in-paris-by-david-mccullough.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2014, 01:34:31 PM »
Have read the first two chapters of my book and am ready for Monday.

BARB, thanks for the pictures.  Love the uniforms and the horses of the Guard.  

The sea voyage these adventurous young people faced would have been discouraging for me; I think I would rather have gone west in a covered wagon.   I like my feet on the ground.

mrssherlock

Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

mrssherlock

Jackie

mrssherlock

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2014, 02:00:55 PM »
Neither the Washburne nor the Brown are available at my library.  Boo hoo.
Jackie

BeckiC

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2014, 12:10:37 AM »
I'm in! Library visit tomorrow for the book.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2014, 02:03:59 AM »
Welcome BackiC - glad you found us - do not remember seeing you post and so I bet you are new to Senior Learn - this should be a great read with lots for us to uncover however, before we start please tell us - how did you find Senior Learn and tell us also something about yourself - where do you live - are you retired or are you working - do you have other hobbies as well as reading and what kind of books do your prefer - fill in the blanks for us please - we want to get to know you and please feel free to ask each of us the questions that will allow you to feel comfortable as you join our virtual table discussing this book. Again, Welcome BeckiC...!
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

salan

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2014, 04:08:14 AM »
My library is holding a copy of the book for me.  I will pick it up today and start reading.  I'm not sure if I will stick with it, as it is not the type of book I usually chose for summer reading; but it sounds interesting.
Sally

BeckiC

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2014, 08:12:44 AM »
Hi Barb,
Thank you for the welcome. Yes, you are correct. I am new to Senior Learn. A friend suggested the Latin course and mentioned there was also a book club. She knows I enjoy my book clubs.
I live in the sunshine state. I am currently the full time caregiver for my disabled daughter.
I was a bookworm in my childhood. I went through a Stephen King phase in my 20's, self-help type books in my 30's and then only time for flipping through magazines. As a 50 something year old woman I joined a Jane Austen reading group. We are currently rereading Pride and Prejudice. I also enjoy my local library's monthly book club. It is a great way to meet new and interesting people and share thoughts and ideas. I saw someone mentioned The Divorce Papers. I just recently finished that one and I too enjoyed the email/memo/letter style. I also found myself chuckling through the story. Some of it was a bit tedious but isn't that the way the judicial system can be? So I found it fun.
I love the water, love swimming and walking the beach. I am not what one would call a good cook but I love to gather new recipes. I find good health important. I am more an introvert than anything but really enjoy meeting new people. So I look forward to reading and discussing and sharing with all of you. Thanks again for the welcome. Becki

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2014, 11:16:43 AM »
Welcome, BeckiC! I hope that you enjoy your Latin course. What an interesting introduction. I love Jane Austen and have reread most of her books several times. I'm always on the lookout too for DVDs of the various films based on her books. I have quite a collection. I'm currently reading the crime writer Val McDermid's version of Northanger Abbey.

I'm glad that you'll be part of this discussion of David McCullough's book. I look forward to everyone's sharing their thoughts.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »
I'm an echo in here this morning -- Welcome, Becki!  WE are so happy to have you join our expanding group.  David McCullough has done so much research and has included so much fact and fancy here, I think there is room for all of us to find a comfortable chair and chime in.

We have very few ground rules, Becki.  The most important to us is the cordial, pleasant atmosphere - even if we don't always agree with something someone has posted. :D

We've divided the book into sections that will be covered during each week.  You can see the discussion schedule in the Heading of each page.  (The heading is always the first post on the top of each page.) The discussion of chapters begins on the day it is posted, so if you are interested in posting on day 1, it's fine to have that section read before the opening date. But you can post anytime during the week. If you are reading ahead of the schedule, please be careful not to post spoilers – just hold the thought until the following week.

You'll see some topics for discussion in the heading too.  You don't have to respond to these questions - but you will see them intermingled in the week's discussion.

We'll be glad to help you if you have questions.  Just post them here and someone will pop in to answer you.  Again, WELCOME!

ps I enjoyed the Divorce Papers too.  Trying to decide if my husband (retired lawyer) would appreciate it.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2014, 12:03:40 PM »
Sally - I think you'll enjoy the book - the format.  It's not something that you are compelled to read.  You can pick it up when you have a bit of time.  Go back to it later.  I think you'll find a lot to draw you in though.

Ella- you strike me as a feet-planted-firmly on the ground person.  I will picture you on the covered wagon in a stylish bonnet, heading west, reading snatches of news from Paris whenever you get your hands on a paper.  I bet you'll be wishing you'd braved the seas when you had the choice! :D

Jackie - you weren't kidding - did you have to retrace your steps to retrieve those links?  Thank you so much!  Even though your library doesn't carry the books you are telling us about.  I think Barbara has the Frederick Brown book - maybe others will locate it too - and share what they find in those books.
I like the way you put each link in a separate post.  That way you won't lose a big post representing so much work - as you did the other day.  Bless your heart!  I hate it when that happens.  Always feel it's buried somewhere very near...

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2014, 12:28:18 PM »

Barb - love the Monet - put it right into the Heading...

Here's a quiz for you...let's see who comes up with the answer first? No fair looking it up. (I'd offer a prize, but I'm still behind with prize for Dicken's Bleak House discussion - does anyone remember that?  Maybe I can find an old Franc around here - that would be a nice prize, wouldn't it?

Why is Bastille Day commemorated?  
What year?
How many years between Bastille Day and the the beginning of the period David McCullough begins to trace the Americans in Paris in The Greater Journey.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2014, 12:59:02 PM »
Wow Beck - what a fabulous intro - I can almost see you - we do get to know each other on Senior Learn and so it is really nice to know you a bit better. Steph also lives in Florida although she spends her summers in the mountains of NC - she was tragically widowed just a few short years ago and it has been heartwarming to see her reconnect with life. Who knows you may live close enough to each other that one day you will meet.

The Latin Club is a special group and I am sure you will get to know the participants - Ginny along with JoanP are the originals who helped get off the ground not only Senior Learn but the original SeniorNet that was the first online book group back in the mid 1990s

There are several of us that go back to those early days in, if I remember correctly it was 1994. Today folks would shake their head since I do seem to write long posts and like to add all sorts of tid bits of research but when I started I was so shy that I read along a couple of books before I finally had the courage to post - i remember reading but not posting to Jude the Obscure but I cannot remember the discussion where I first posted - I do remember it was the September Discussion - soon after JoanP led the discussion of James Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - which took us months to read.

In the list of discussions there are two archive folders - the one has most of the saved discussions of most of the books we have read - some of those early SeniorNet discussions did not make it over.

About me - I live in Austin and like you a book worm since childhood - my family is now all scattered - in the mid nineties my daughter was still living in Austin with her family and then they moved first to SC and very soon after to the mountains of NC - She and Gary have 2 boys. My daughter teaches and Gary has the Computer Outlet store in Greenville SC. Their oldest just graduated for the Savannah School of Art and Design with a double major and the youngest is this summer in Norway and Sweden, last summer in China and is going into his 3rd year at UNC at Chapel Hill  - My youngest son during these years has moved from El Paso to Portland Oregon to Bryan Collage Station then Lubbock and now he lives just north of Houston in Magnolia. He is considering early retirement this year since he turns 55 in September. He manages the Fed EX Houston Air and delivery operation. He has three sons all living in Lubbock - one of the twins now is following his Dad and works at Fed Ex and they pay for his tuition. He is attending Texas Tech. The other two are good kids, well actually in their early 20s, still working it out maintaining themselves mostly working Restaurants. My oldest son died a couple of years ago. He was living in New Mexico at the time.  

I am a Real Estate Broker - do not work the hours nor with as many people as I once did - only a few clients a year - I am one of those folks who woke up one day and realized in shock I got old - for the most part I am in good condition and do not look my age - had a couple of bad years there after walking with one leg into a deep hole that took a year of recovery which happened immediately after a 2 year bout with Temporal Arteritus and I have this eye thing that there will be more surgery this Fall but now pretty much back in shape after that down time deciding to forget the age number and just live.

I like to garden however, the deer are prolific and so that limits what I can grow - herbs and experimenting with their use satisfies my curiosity. I do like to cook. I have packed many interests in chunks of time during my life and delving into French Cooking was one where a group of us attended classes for a couple of years and one October we traveled to and in France, the south and the east as well as Paris, visiting farms and small truffle canning operations and of course ate at as many 3 star restaurants as we could find along with a few memorable 4 star restaurants - for a while I taught Needlework and there was a time I taught Silk Screening and and and - Big chunk of time I was involved with Girl Scouting and ended up being sent to Canada to train adult Guides. Like to swim, did a lot of hiking again, in Mexico, France, Germany and Switzerland. Like to and been knitting fun socks and sweaters for all the boys and recently took up Piano again after some 30 years of not playing at all. We all have a favorite author - for me that is difficult but one who I do have every book ever published is the poet Dylan Thomas. I've always been in awe at his way with words.

I guess my characteristic ID is I am very curious and any new idea, person, thing, time in history etc etc I have to find out more about it and cannot settle down until I do - then of course I assume everyone is as curious and I share which, thank goodness in this group others also like sharing what they bump into including books that will further our understanding of a story so we all end up looking into the corners and under the beds finding and learning more about the tid bits included in the writings of most authors.

Hope we see lots of you Beck - this should be a fun read with many "tid bits" to uncover more about.  ;)

mrssherlock

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2014, 01:56:06 PM »
Hi, Beck.  Welcome.  You will find us lively and super friendly.
 People think its strange that I read cookbooks for pleasure so we can share food book titles sometimes.  Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country are my main reading but surfing the net for recipes takes up much of my computer time too.  Disequilibrium and a bum hip-arthritis- limit severely my food experimenting.  Can't cook with one hand, the other is holding on.  A guilty pleasure is reading cozies, especially when there are recipes at the back of the book.
Journey has a slew of names in the first pages.  My memory is not what it used to be so I'm thinking of a sort of timeline relating who and what and when. I'm disappointed that I can't borrow Washhburne, after reading Maslin's comments (NY Times).  He seems to have been an interesting fellow with close ties to his fellow Ilinoisian, Abe Lincoln,  Brown is noted for getting to the real soul of France.  What a rich period this was.  The period between the two Great Britain wars and the Civil War was merely a place holder to me until now.   
Jackie

mabel1015j

« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2014, 12:04:25 PM »
Hi BeckiC - welcome to our discussion. This umbrella site is one of the joys of my day. I have loved reading all my life and i love learning, and i love discussing the themes and ideas in books. At this site i can do all of that while sitting in my sunroom and in whatever state of dress that i happen to be in! What else can i ask for!?!

I'm retired from several different careers, almost all of the tasks having to do with teaching/training/facilitating a variety subjects, mostly history, especially women's history and issues, and management.

You'll learn more about each of us just by reading our comments.

Jean

Jonathan

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2014, 02:34:40 PM »
Welcome, Becki. You're sure to find everyone a kindred spirit here. And, it's like Jean says, come as you are.

It's so good to see you again, Ella. You're right about the problem of getting to Paris. "That (awful) sea voyage. I think I would rather have gone west in a covered wagon."

Did you know that Mark Twain felt the same way. I dug up a copy of his The Innocents Abroad to see what he wrote about Paris. He must have landed at Marseilles, and then had an uncomfortable journey across France by early train, because he has this to say:

'Stage-coaching is infinitely more delightful. Once I crossed the plains and deserts and mountains of the West, in a stagecoach from the Missouri line to California and since then all my pleasure trips must be measured to that rare holiday frolic. Two thousand miles of ceaseless rush and rattle and clatter, by night and day, and never a weary moment, never a lapse of interest!'

But a few pages along, and:'In a little we were speeding through the streets of Paris, and delightfully recognizing certain names and places with which books had long ago made us familiar. It was like meeting an old friend when we read "Rue de Rivoli" on the street corner; we knew the genuine vast palaces of the Louvre as well as we knew its pictures; when we passed by the Column of July we needed no one to tell us what it was, or to remind us that on its site once stood  the grim Bastille, that grave of human hopes and happiness, that dismal prison-house within whose dungeons so many young faces put on wrinkles of age, so many proud spirits grew humble, so many brave hearts broke.:

Such fond memories. The last time we were in Paris. I've just found the travel guide we carried then. And what did I find in it? Two ticket stubs to a concert at the little Eglise Saint-Julien-le-Pauvre (on the left bank in the shadow of Notre Dame) with the Ensemble de Chambre de Paris playing Vivaldi's Four Seasons. I remember it was a very warm evening in June, so of course 'Winter' was played with unusual spirit.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2014, 10:31:38 PM »
Well, we are finally back home and I am readying my table for a glorious read of "The Greater Journey".  Our granddaughter is tangoing across Paris tonight with her intended.

Becki, I meant to welcome you to our newest discussion.  Hope you will join us anytime.  We do have a pleasant time discussing our books. 
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2014, 01:16:45 PM »
I think we're all going to see (and appreciate)  your natural curiosity at work in the coming weeks, Barb! And already we know of Jean and Ella's knowledge of - and love for history, and  Jackie and her passion for cookbooks and French cuisine...and of course, Jonathan's ready wit, always introducing  fascinating bits of information - such as Mark Twain's comments on ocean crossings!  And we're all set to chime in with similar memories - and observations.  This will be a great discussion!  It is already!

Annie's here - now we can begin! :D  Welcome back - JUST IN TIME!

I think we need to note that Mark Twain was travelling on a "modern" passenger ship in 1867 when he wrote Innocents Abroad - more passenger-friendly than the cargo boats that were transporting passengers in the 1830's.  Here's a picture of him crossing the ocean on the deck...doesn't look too unhappy, does he, Jonathan. Maybe he just had a bad night before his comment -

Mark Twain at sixty, on his way around the world, from Mark Twain, Following the Equator, Hartford, 1897

ps Ella - Jonathan - a quick note - don't be concerned about those cargo boats.  I've booked us all in the top-of-the-line Philadelphia - following the advice of Oliver Wendell Holmes.  That man had excellent taste!  Bring a full purse though!

Are you all packed and ready to set sail in the morning?

mabel1015j

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2014, 02:23:33 PM »
I love serendipity! I am, by chance of course, reading Rachael Carson and Her Sisters by Robt Musil. The dust cover says "RM redefines the achievements and legacy of the environmental pioneer and scientist, RC, linking her work to a wide network of American women activists and writers....... From the 19th century to the 21st century, Americam women naturalists and scientists developed an ecological approach to environmental science and advocacy, combining popular and poetic writing, a sense of wonder and imagination, a strong sense of morality, a serious scientific sense of purpose."  (That looks like a sentence written in the 19th century, it's so long)  :D

One of the first of RCs "sisters" that he mentions is Susan Fenimore Cooper, James dgt who went with the family to Paris!

Now, should i tell you today, about her and why her trip to Paris was important, or should i wait until tomorrow? ....... A cliff hanger ;D

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2014, 03:27:15 PM »
WELCOME BECKI!  You will enjoy this group I hope, stay for awhile, a long while.

JONATHAN, you were in Paris, mid pleasures and palaces and were you good or lonesome?

I was there brieflly with our very own Ginny some years ago.  We wanted to ride the new train under the channel - the Chunnel, which we did, an hour or so of blackness, and a day in Paris.  Had a bit of worrisome trouble finding the entrance again to get back to London, they had it hidden and Ginny was appalled that I went around asking in English, mind you, all the Parisians I saw and interrupted a class of students chaperoned with a nun who was lecturing. 

Paris had Lafayette indeed - but nothing that compared to our own Mark Twain.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2014, 08:23:38 PM »
Becki, welcome.  It's good to have you here and I hope you will enjoy the group.  We do have a good time.

Jackie, I think recipe readers are the real foodies.  Have you been to Cookstr?  Will Schwalbe's (The End of your Life Book Club) site.  I hope you will be able to tell us all about "petit pain, " the delicacy mentioned in Chpt. 2.

Ella, so good to see you here again.  I've been to Paris just once, a very short visit.  Would love to go again.

Have you all seen Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris?  It's a little post-David McC, but a fun movie for anyone who loves the idea of going to Paris.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2014, 09:56:06 PM »
Ella, how could we forget your European adventures with Ginny - Fran Middleton too, wasn't that the trip? Fran has since passed away, but has left behind many fond memories.  We all enjoyed your reports following that trip, Ella.!

Jean - that IS serendipitous!  Susan Fenimore Cooper, was one of the little ones who accompanied James Fenimore Cooper on his first trip to Paris.  I've just started one of his Leatherstocking Tales - The Last of the Mohicans.  Do you remember that?  I remember seeing the film version when much younger.
Jean, hold the story of Susan Fenimore Cooper until the new discussion opens in the morning.  We'll be locking this Prediscussion tonight and unlocking the actual discussion of the book in the morning.

Just click this link and you should be on board the good ship, Philadelphia! - you can continue the discussion there, just as you have been here.