Author Topic: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot ~ Oct Book Club Online  (Read 31551 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
The Book Club Online is the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

October Book Club Online

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
by Rebecca Skloot

"There's a photo on my wall of a woman I've never met, its left corner torn and patched together with tape.   She looks straight into the camera and smiles, hands on hips, dress suit neatly pressed, lips painted deep red.  It's the late l940s and she hasn't yet reached the age of thirty.  Her light brown skin is smooth, her eyes still young and  playful, oblivious to the tumor growing inside her-a tumor that would leave her five children motherless and change the future of medicine." -Rebecca Skloot

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/books/review/Margonelli-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.biography.com/people/henrietta-lacks-21366671

http://www.lacksfamily.net/

"There's a photo on my wall of a woman I've never met, its left corner torn and patched together with tape.   She looks straight into the camera and smiles, hands on hips, dress suit neatly pressed, lips painted deep red.  It's the late l940s and she hasn't yet reached the age of thirty.  Her light brown skin is smooth, her eyes still young and  playful, oblivious to the tumor growing inside her-a tumor that would leave her five children motherless and change the future of medicine." -Rebecca Skloot

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/books/review/Margonelli-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.biography.com/people/henrietta-lacks-21366671

http://www.lacksfamily.net/

"For Henrietta, walking into Hopkins was like entering a foreign country where she didn't speak the language."  (pg.16)   Do hospitals frighten you, whether you are a patient or a visitor?

John Hopkins Hospital:    http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/the_johns_hopkins_hospital/   Somewhere in those slides you can see the original building that Henrietta visited.  Huge and impressive. One of the top hospitals in the country, they did treat black patients but segregated them in "colored" wards.  Have any of you ever visited John Hopkins?

"Henrietta and Day (her cousin five years older) had been sharing a bedroom since she was four, so what happened next didn't surprise anyone." (pg.23)  Was there an adult living in that household?   Certainly Grandpa knew better; didn't care?
 Why do you think this was allowed?

The year was 1941, Henrietta and Day got married and both worked in the tobacco fields.  America was at war and the tobacco companies were supplying free cigarettes to soldiers.  My husband, in the Navy then, remembered those and although he never smoked then, many of our soldiers started a lifelong addiction.      Is there anything about war that we do better today?

Bethlehem Steel, 30,000 employees, a gold mine for black families:   https://www.facebook.com/Bethlehem-Steel-Sparrows-Point-Remembered-130389707036916/ - click on the slide show and think of listening to that awful noise all day long.  How do we prevent factory noise today for the workers?

What new thing or things did you learn about cells or cancer cells?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
Having to only use the cells for certain research as the patient directs seems too limiting when it comes science.  In Henrietta's case, she wasn't hurt when the dr took several slices of her removed tumor and gave it to Dr Gey to try to see if her cells would reproduce.  And they certainly did. 

As to Deborah's sister being used by dr's for experiments to see why she was not able to speak, IMHO, that was criminal.  Those scientists probably didn't know about HELA and the resulting cell reproduction of Henrietta's cells.  One thing never mentioned in this story is WHY her cells grew and no other cells from other cancer cells taken from patients over a long time didn't!   Was it the culture used? 

Amazing what a scientist will do to try another culture like Dr Gey's wife showing him how to get chicken heart blood without killing the chicken.  But if he failed and killed the chicken, he gave it to his wife for their next meal!  Good grief!  But what would we (the people affected by all this science)had the dr's and scientists not been obsessed with finding ways to prevent a person from catching diseases by giving them vaccinations like the polio shot.

When my daughter and I perused the Women's Hall of Fame, we found that there were many women scientists who helped the male scientists produce lifesaving vaccinations but the men were afraid to include their names in their presentations to the AMA.  And it wasn't the money as Dr Gey just gave away Henrietta's cells. Buuuuutt, as companies were formed to reproduce her cells and charge for them, the greed showed up, didn't it!

Ella, you have a book with a picture of reproducing cells on the first page? My book presents 1 picture of a HELA cell dividing into two cells on one page and two more pics on the next page telling about using stains with particular dyes so one can see the DNA in the nucleus is yellow, the actin filaments. Are light blue and the mitochondria--the cell's power generators--are pink.  The picture is in black and white.  And the pics were added at the end of the Lacks family pictures in the middle of my book.

"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanK

• BooksDL
I somehow missed the technical point of why these cells are so useful. Are they cancer cells? Why are they useful in studies not involving cancer? how are cancer cells different from other cells? PAT, ANNIE HELP!

PatH

• BooksDL
I'm not a biologist, so I can only give you a general answer.  One reason they're so useful is that, unlike most human cells, they are easy to grow and keep alive.  You can't do an experiment if your cells die halfway through.  Yes, they are cancer cells, and at first the research done with them was cancer-related, mostly trying to find a cure.

Cancer cells are mutated normal cells, but they are like normal cells in most ways, and scientists expanded to use HeLa cells for many different kinds of medical research.

Annie, it would be wrong to make money from the existence of HeLa cells, but it costs money in manpower, equipment, and supplies to grow them, and it would be reasonable to charge for this, along with a reasonable profit margin.

Ella Gibbons

Good question, Joan.  I want to know too.

I have an easy yes/no question.    Would this book have been written if the cells were removed from a white educated person?  As I understand it at that time there were no laws stipulating that a person had to sign a consent form for removal of cells.

bellamarie

Ella, 
Would this book have been written if the cells were removed from a white educated person?

My answer is, yes.  I don't think it would matter if she was black, white or educated.  The fact they were the first ever living cells and what was able to be done with them to cure so many different types of diseases is the story, regardless, if Henrietta was black or white I believe this author would have tracked her down, and still wrote the story.

I have only read a couple of chapters and my heart goes out to Henrietta's family.  This statement from Deborah's Voice just pulled at my moral fiber and heart:

"But I always have thought it strange, if our mother cells done so much for medicine, how come her family can't afford to see no doctors?  Don't make no sense.  People got rich off my mother without us even knowin about them takin her cells, now we don't get a dime.  I used to get so mad about that to where it made me sick and I had to take pills.  But I don't got it in me no more to fight.  I just want to know who my mother was."

Reading Henrietta's medical history and how she refused to follow up for different illnesses throughout her life, and testing positive for gonorrhea and had asymptomatic neurosyphilis but cancelled syphilis treatments, makes you wonder if these were causes of her cervical cancer. 

As for the Grandfather allowing Henrietta and Day to be together, I have to assume that happened back in those days, and in those conditions.  The term "kissin cousins" I think, probably came about because of this behavior. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

PatH

• BooksDL
Bellamarie, your post brings out so many ideas, I don't know where to start.

Deborah's voice: it was a stroke of genius to start with that, it sucks you right in.  The whole book is carefully and cleverly crafted.  We will meet Deborah, and follow her journey as she comes to terms with her mother's story.

It's ironical that the family of a woman who did so much for medicine can't afford care.  In a country as rich as ours, everyone should have access to adequate medical care.

PatH

• BooksDL
I don't think syphillis and gonorrhea have been linked to cervical cancer, but human papilloma virus, a mild STD that probably wasn't even detectable at the time, has a strong link, and may have been responsible.

Given the kind of medical care available to Black people then, and their justifiable distrust of white doctors, I can understand Henrietta not persisting with treatment of anything that wasn't causing problems.  She did get successfully treated for gonorrhea several times, though.

Ella Gibbons

ANN asked this question:

" One thing never mentioned in this story is WHY her cells grew and no other cells from other cancer cells taken from patients over a long time didn't!   Was it the culture used?"

Ann, it was my thinking from reading the book is that no other cells grew.  They would put cells in petrie dishes but they died, that is why Hen's cells were so miraculous.  They didn't die, but just kept multiplying.

However, Pat is our 'scientist" for this discussion so is that true, PAT? 

PatH

• BooksDL
Yes.  Cell culture is difficult, and people were still learning all the precautions needed, all the things that could go wrong, and everything you had to do to make it work.  No one had yet grown cancer cells--other cells either, I think.  Presumably HeLa cells grew because they are so vigorous you don't have to be careful.  It wasn't the culture medium; they were using the same techniques as always.  Later we'll see the downside of this vigor.

bellamarie

This is an interesting site for information and actual pictures of the HELA cells in different variations. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeLa

I'm not sure we will ever know for certain why Henrietta's cells lived vs others.  I feel a little like her daughter Deborah, and see it's like maybe part science and part faith.  Like she stated, "I really don't know how she did all that, but I guess I'm glad she did, cause that means she helpin lots of people.  I think she would like that."

And like our author said, pg. 7  "I was a science journalist who referred to all things supernatural as "woo-woo stuff"; Deborah believed Henrietta's spirit lived on in her cells, controlling the life of anyone who crossed its path.  Including me." 

"The Lackses challenged everything I thought I knew about faith, science, journalism, and race.

PatH.,  I had no idea gonorrhea or syphilis could not cause cancer.  I imagined the infections untreated would eventually cause break down of healthy tissue, and mutate into cancer cells.  Interesting to know.   

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

JoanK

• BooksDL
I asked my daughter-the-doctor how cancer cells are different from other cells. She says that they keep on dividing. Normal cells have a mechanism that turns off cell division. Cancer cells have a mutation that disables this mechanism. So Hela cells are still dividing and increasing in number. they are, indeed, immortal.

But they are like normal cells in some other ways.

PatH

• BooksDL
Thanks for that link, Bellamarie.  It's got some useful information on what we've been saying.

Syphillis doesn't turn cancerous, but it's got it's own nasty time bomb.  If Henrietta hadn't gotten cancer, an had left the syphillis untreated, she would have gotten some serious neurological symptoms down the road.

bellamarie

I am amazed at how they treated Henrietta with the radium:  Wharton slipped a tube filled with radium inside Henrietta's cervix, and sewed it in place.  He sewed a plaque filled with radium to the outer surface of her cervix and packed another plaque against.  He slid several rolls of gauze inside her vagina to help keep the radium in place, then threaded a catheter into her bladder so she could urinate without disturbing the treatment.  When Wharton finished, a nurse wheeled Henrietta back into the ward, and Wharton in her chart, "The patient tolerated the procedure well and left the operating room in good condition."  On a separate page he wrote, "Henrietta Lacks...Biopsy of cervical tissue...Tissue given to Dr. George Gey."

pg. 42 Henrietta knew nothing about her cells growing in a laboratory.  After leaving the hospital, she went back to life as usual.
pg. 47 But things weren't all good.  Toward the end of her treatments, Henrietta asked her doctor when she'd be better so she could have another child.  Until that moment, Henrietta didn't know that the treatment had left her infertile.    In this case, something went wrong:  in Henrietta's medical record,  one of her doctors wrote, "Told she could not have any more children.  Says is she had been told so before, she would not have gone through with treatment."  But by the time she found out, it was too late. 

Then she has acute Gonorrhea superimposed on radiation reaction. 
The skin on Henrietta's breasts to ther pelvic was charred a deep black from radiation
Henrietta just nodded and said, "Lord, it just feels like that blackness be spreadin all inside me."

I can't even begin to express my sadness for what she has gone through.  Not only are her cells taken and used without her permission, she is not informed it will leave her sterile, but now has Gonorrhea, and her skin is charred from the radiation.  This woman just seems to me to have had a pain tolerance and love for life beyond imaginable. 

maryz

• Z's World
One small comment - we have to remember that we cannot judge these treatments with today's knowledge and standards.  In many cases, it would've been the best care that was known and available at the time.  They knew radium and x-rays could be used, but had no clue as to the dangers involved.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanK

• BooksDL
My daughter tells me they still treat cervical cancer by putting radium inside. Ouch.

""Told she could not have any more children.  Says is she had been told so before, she would not have gone through with treatment."

Johns Hopkins at the time had a reputation for, when Black women came in to have a baby or other operation, performing a procedure to make them infertile without their knowledge or consent. This may be one reason why (as seen on her medical record) in the past, whenever the doctors recommended a procedure, Henrietta refused it.

PatH

• BooksDL
Yes, something had to be really hurting or bleeding or incapacitating for Henrietta to overcome her distrust enough to be treated, and she wasn't altogether wrong.

Maryz, you're right.  That was pretty much the best treatment available then.  When it worked, which it sometimes did, it was presumably better than dying of cancer.  Now, even when they use radium, the doses are much more carefully calculated.  And techniques for aiming x-rays are much more refined, so that horrible x-ray burns such as Henrietta suffered can be avoided.

Ella Gibbons

Other stories in this chapter:

The other side of the tracks:  The town of Clover.  Southern Virginia.   This book was written in 2010 and I doubt it has changed much.  Here is a funny youtube about the town:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAkcH5bUyNM

Didn't you smile at Cootie, a cousin of Henrietta's, who stopped our author and told her where to find Henrietta.  A polio victim, he never let it defeat him; he built his own house, tore it down to put in insulation and then had to rebuild because it had burned. 

"You know, they said if we could get all the pieces of her together (Henrietta) she'd weigh over eight hundred pounds now....and Henrietta never was a big girl.   She just still growin."

And still being talked about.

bellamarie

Oh heavens do not misinterpret my concern about the radium treatment for "judgement", I was only stating I was amazed that this type of procedure was done, placing it directly inside of her.  I had NO idea that was even possible, and the horrible burning it was doing to her skin, when I read that I just hurt for Henrietta.   

bellamarie

I posted on my Facebook I was reading this book with the online book club.  My friend who lives in Myrtle Beach responded and said her daughter Renee, (my Goddaughter) worked with HeLa cells for 3 yrs at the NIH in Bethesda Maryland.  I asked if she was familiar with the story of Henrietta Lacks and she said yes, that Renee told her about the story of where the HeLa cells first originated.  This is where she worked:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Institutes_of_Health     

PatH

• BooksDL
That's where I worked too, Bellamarie, in the 14 story red brick building that forms the back part of the complex in the picture.  The lower addition in front was just being built when I retired.  My lab was on the other side of the building, on the 11th floor, so there was a nice long distance view out the window when one had time to look.

PatH

• BooksDL
Bellamarie, I think we all hurt for Henrietta and the pain she suffered, and even more for the waste of a life cut short.  She was happy in her life among a large extended family, enjoying her children and looking forward to more.

Just a picky detail to keep the record straight, it wasn't the radium that caused the skin burns, it was the following x-ray treatment.

bellamarie

Thanks PatH., for the picky detail, I've gotten so involved in this story and am reacting, I may misstep.  Glad you are there to catch it.  Did you ever actually work with the HeLa cells when you worked there?  Small world to hear this is where you worked as well.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
I have been telling my DH about this book.  His comment was that he doesn't understand why we haven't discovered a cure for cancer.  My only explanation is each named cancer probably requires a different treatment.  I just had a "squamous" cancer removed last week. It revealed itself looking a boil on my leg and it required a 4 to 6 inch cut to remove all the cancer growth. Stiches will be removed next Monday but it will take months for site to heal completely. This my third cancerous skin growth to be removed. Had one Basil cell, then a melanoma and now a squamous.  I am afraid to ask what to expect next! 😍😍😍
I feel like a lab rat!

Loved Cootie's stories about Henrietta's kindnesses to anyone who showed up on her doorstep! Wish he had remembered more about H's daughter, Elsie. Later in the book there is a story about Deborah's thinking about her sister's Elsie's death and she thinks that Elsie was in a group of patients that were who being put through some nasty testing at the Negro Insane Assylum.  And she hates that she never knew that she had a sister.  Elsie died after Henretta when she was 15. 

I think the author has done a remarkable job of taking us into the Lacks's lives as the family grew
older.  I wonder if any of the Lacks family have put this info up on Ancestry.com.  I must go look!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
so,I checked out Ancestry.com and found a copy of Henrietta and Day's marriage certificate but so far no Lacks tree.  That does not mean there isn't one!  Means I need to look again!

Ella Gibbons

Back to the cell cultures.  We seem to have two different stories in this Part I and we do go and forth as we come to them or skim back.  The family and the lab. 

Are these the two universes JOAN that you mentioned?

So that is where our PAT has been working all these years and why she knows so much about such things, scientific things.   What was your major Pat in college?  I am so happy you are with us to answer so many questions.

Here's one I thought of and I have probably read it or skimmed it in the book.  The cells that were removed from Henny were cancer cells and as they discovered they never died they started giving them to other labs.  Were the cells still cancerous?  Or was there a way to take the cancer out of these HELA cells?

PatH

• BooksDL
My major was chemistry, with a minor in zoology.  I never worked with cells, mostly with things that come in bottles, so my knowledge is just that of an informed outsider.

The HeLa cells would still be cancer cells; they don't know how to take that out.  They would not be a danger to the people who worked with them, though.  They couldn't give someone else cancer.

Ella Gibbons

HEAVENSEDEN, are you still with us?   PLEASE COMMENT, TELL US WHAT WE ARE DOING RIGHT AND WRONG IN THIS DISCUSSION.  WE WANT YOUR IN PUT AND YOUR INTEREST!

ROBBIE, ARE YOU NEW TO THE BOOK DISCUSSIONS?  WE WELBOME YOU, IF SO, AND WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE THINKING.  PLEASE POST!

Ella Gibbons

KAREN, MARYZ and all other lurkers, pull up a chair and join in. 

JoanK

• BooksDL
ELLA: "The family and the lab. 

Are these the two universes JOAN that you mentioned?"

yes, and more narrowly, the White world and the Black world.

The world of the lab is foreign to the author, but being white and middle class, she has enough in common with it's inhabitants (in education, culture and above all confidence that she has a right to go in their and ask questions until they make the effort to be sure she understands) to navigate it and study to understand it. And we have enough in common with her (the same things) that we can understand, or are able to ask questions until we do.

Henrietta is from such a different world, she doesn't know what questions to ask, how to make people take them seriously and answer, and when she gets an answer, it might as well be written in Greek.

For example,we'll never know whether she wasn't told she wouldn't be able to have children, or whether she was told in technical terms she had no way to understand. If my doctor tells me something I don't understand, I tell him and ask him to explain. But being white, middle class, and educated gives me the confidence that I have A RIGHT TO UNDERSTAND. Henrietta, in 1950, had no such right, and knew it.

bellamarie

This is such an emotional book to read.  I find myself loving Henrietta as much as her family and friends.  I just want to shake my head at how the doctors would not pay attention to the many times she said she felt the cancer was spreading inside her, before her body was filled with tumors that would prove to kill her.  I realize there would have been no cure for Henrietta back then even had they found the tumors earlier.  It was heart wrenching when Day was told to stop bringing her kids to see her.

What a shock it was to read ch 7 The Death and Life of Cell Culture: Back in 1912 Alexis Carrel, a French surgeon at the Rockefeller Institute, grew his "immortal chicken heart." 

Scientists said Carrel's chicken-heart cells were one of the most important advances of the century... Carrel was a scientific messiah.  Magazines called his culture medium "an  elixir of youth" and claimed that bathing in it might make a person live forever.  But Carrel wasn't interested in immortality for the masses.  He was a eugenicist: organ transplantation and life extension were a way to preserve what he saw as the superior white race, which he believed was being polluted by less intelligent and inferior stock, namely the poor, uneducated, and nonwhite.  He dreamed of never-ending life for those he deemed worthy, and death or forced sterilization for everyone else.  He'd later praise Hitler for the "energetic measures" he took in that direction.

Years after Carrel died awaiting trial for collaborating with the Nazis, scientist Leonard Hayflick grew suspicious of the chicken heart.  No one had ever been able to replicate Carrel's work, and the cells can only divide a finite number of times before dying.  Hayflick investigated them and concluded that the original chicken-heart cells had actually died soon after Carrel put them in culture, and that, intentionally or not, Carrel had been putting new cells in the culture dishes each time he "fed" them using an "embryo juice" he made from ground tissue.  At least one of Carrel's former lab assistants verified Hayflick's suspicion.  But no one could test the theory, because two years after Carrel's death, his assistant unceremoniously threw the famous chicken-heart cells in the trash.

Either way, by 1951, when Henrietta Lack's cells began growing in the Gey lab__ just five years after the widely publicized "death" of Carrel's chicken-heart__ the public image of immortal cells was tarnished.  Tissue culture was the stuff of racism, creepy science fiction, Nazis, and snake oil.  It wasn't something to be celebrated.  In fact no one paid much attention to it at all.

I suppose you had all sorts of kooks like Carrel, looking for fame, fortune and ways to exterminate those they did not deem fit to live.  I can see why people were skeptical.  That's the thing with science, we can use it for good or evil.  I often wonder why we have not been able to find cures for more cancers. I know I have read articles where to cure it would put pharmaceuticals, doctors, and hospitals out of business.  I sure wouldn't want to think there is any truth in those theories.   

PatH

• BooksDL
It is indeed an emotional book.  And after Day was ordered to stop bringing the children to see her, he would bring them to play outside where Henrietta could drag herself over to her window and watch.

I think the reason there haven't been more cures for more cancers is it's an incredibly difficult problem.  In fact it's more than one problem, as there are many different kinds of cancers.

I know I have read articles where to cure it would put pharmaceuticals, doctors, and hospitals out of business.  I sure wouldn't want to think there is any truth in those theories.
I don't think there is much truth in that.  I'm sure there are people with that sort of motive, but there are too many hard-driven people working on the problem, too eager to find answers, for them all to be stopped.

PatH

• BooksDL
ELLA: "The family and the lab. 

Are these the two universes JOAN that you mentioned?"

yes, and more narrowly, the White world and the Black world.
Now we're about to get down to the White world and the Black world.  The author is going to have to enter the Black universe of Henrietta's family, no longer legally segregated, but still emotionally apart, and understand it, compassionately and non-judgementally, in order to earn their trust before they will be willing to talk to her.

It's going to be quite a journey.

Ella Gibbons

Unless you walk in my shoes, you will never understand me.  Our author has tried you think, PAT?  I never thought that way when I was reading the book; I thought our author had done a pretty good job of explaining, quoting, expressing the black world of Henrietta's family, children and relatives.  Where did she go wrong? 

Deborah said that the doctors tell her marvelous stories about all the wonderful things her mother did, like going to the moon, made polio vaccine, and all, but they never said how my mother did it. (Deborah's Voice)  Did she ask?   Couldn't she ask?  Was she afraid if she asked her ignorance would show up?  She was black, the doctors were white, they were educated, knew how to cure.

Is that the universe the author has to travel?  Did she?

Ella Gibbons

Of course, all of us know a little about cells from courses we took in school but beyond knowing they multiply and die that is all I knew.  I never thought of research on cells and growing them in petrie dishes and how much science learns from them.  PAT, is your job interesting or do you do the same thing every day?  Can science be boring, watching daily what cells are doing, hoping for a change?

PatH

• BooksDL
Ella, I've been retired for 17 years, but I did find my job interesting.  I never had anything to do with cells.  The details can sometimes be boring, but you care so much about the results you don't find it so, and there wasn't much repetitiveness in what I did.  I always enjoyed it.  A friend said he felt he was being paid for playing in the sandbox, and that about sums up my feelings too.

I don't think the author went wrong in putting us in others' shoes.  I think she's doing a remarkable job of putting us there, and did an equally remarkable job in putting herself there.  We can all decide when we've finished the book.

bellamarie

I love how the author was determined to talk with Henrietta's family to the point she drove past the same store over and over again where the black men stood watching her.  Myself, I would have been afraid to go there by myself with a car with no muffler, making all that noise.  That actually made me laugh picturing those black men watching her, knowing she was a fish out of water. 

PatH

• BooksDL
Yes, I laughed too.  It took a lot of courage though--she couldn't be sure what she was getting into.

Ella Gibbons

PART TWO - DEATH!

The first chapter is THE STORM.  It took a few pages of reading to determine what/where the storm was.  I am finding Rebecca Skloot unnecessarily dramatic in telling the story of Henney's life and death.  Is anyone else? 

Henrietta died of uremia, the buildup of toxins normally flushed out of the body in urine   I have a few pills in my bathroom cupboard that would have cured her of that. However, her uretha was completely blocked by tumors and I have no pill for that.  It's sad!  Tumors the size of baseballs!

Ella Gibbons

FDR - whom I thought would be president forever as a child, had polio all his life and ran the country while WWII was raging.  Admirable president! 

Do any of you remember the MARCH OF DIMES?  And now we know where the money went and what it was used for.

Isn't this chapter fascinating??   What did you learn from it?