Author Topic: People of the Book ~ Geraldine Brooks ~ July 15 ~ Book Club Online  (Read 35965 times)

marjifay

Re: People of the Book ~ Geraldine Brooks ~ July 15 ~ Book Club Online
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2009, 01:24:09 AM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  everyone is welcome to join in.

People of the Book - by Geraldine Brooks

You'll fall in love with  Hanna Heath,  Geraldine Brooks'  edgy  Aussie rare book expert with an attitude, a loner with a real passion for her work.  How could she refuse this opportunity of a lifetime, the conservation of the beautifully illustrated Sarajevo  Haggadah, the mysterious Hebrew manuscript, created in Spain in the 15th century?

The invitation will bring Hanna into war-torn Bosnia in the spring of 1996 and then,  into the world of fine art forgers and international fanatics. Her intuitive investigation  of the manuscript will put her in a time capsule to medieval Spain and  then back to Northern Australia again with a number of stops along the way.  This is based on the travels of an actual manuscript, which has surfaced over the centuries since its creation in Spain.
Discussion Schedule:

July 15-19  Hanna, 1996; Insect's Wing;
    Sarajevo, 1940  (JoanP)
July 20-24 Hanna, Vienna, 1996; Feathers and a Rose;
    Hanna, Vienna, Spring '96 (Ann)
July 25-August 3 Wine Stains, Venice 1609;
   Hanna, Boston, 1996 (Traude)
August 4-August 8  Saltwater, Tarragona, 1492;
   Hanna, London, Spring, 1996  (JoanP)
August 9-August 13 White Hair, Seville, 1480;
   Hanna, Sarajevo, Spring, 1996  (JoanK)
August 14-18 Lola, Jerusalem, 2002;
   Hanna,  Gunumeleng, 2002  (JoanP)
August 19-August 23  Afterword

(click twice to really enlarge)

Prediscussion Considerations

1. Had you ever heard of the illuminated medieval Spanish manuscript, now known as the Sarajevo Haggadah before now?  

2. What exactly is an illuminated manuscript?  Do you think  a centuries-old illuminated manuscript would be fragile?

3.  Can you find the meaning or the derivation of the word, haggadah?

4.  What can you find in Geraldine Brooks' background that might have led her to Sarajevo and this particular topic?

5. Do you remember the Sarajevo Olympics? Any of the athletes who participated?  When did Sarajevo host the games?

6.  What do you know of the Bosnian War and the situation in Sarajevo, Bosnia when the story opens in 1996?

Relevant Links:

Sarajevo Haggadah; Early Haggadah Manuscripts;

Discussion Leaders: JoanP, Ann , JoanK,  & Traudee
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

ALF43

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2009, 09:40:30 AM »
Marjifay-Well here I was reading and discussing relics and ruins one minute in the Night Villa  in Rome, attempting to restore buried treasures (scrolls) from the Vesuvius eruption. 
I actually learned alot about the importance of preserving and revitalizing found antiquities.
NOW

In the first chapter of People of the Book, once again I find myself in Europe, with another treasured handwritten manuscript (the Sarajevo Haggadah) to analyze, by a conservator.  Why is she called a conservator and not a "Restorer?"

I had to put the book down and rethink what it was I was reading. 
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2009, 12:25:39 PM »
HI all,
Are we all getting ready for this wonderful book???  I am not able to stop reading it.  It just leads you on and on!
Alf,
I am saving your questions for later on in the discussion!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ALF43

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2009, 12:51:40 PM »
oops Sorry,Annie, I just don't seem to like that word.  I will wait with bated breath, blah,blah....
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

countrymm

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2009, 03:46:45 PM »
I may join the book discussion too.  I'll have to take a look at the book first!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2009, 04:25:57 PM »
countrymm - Welcome!  - I am certain that once you take a look at this book, you will not want to put it down!  Don't let Andy scare you - there are no gods and godesses in this one.  It is another mystery, however, but very different from what you are reading in Night Villla.

ALF43

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2009, 04:47:41 PM »
Not to fret countrymm- the only goddes in this story will be our leader! 8)
The only likeness is the treasure of the  pieces.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2009, 06:59:54 PM »
Welcome, COUNTYEMM! Shouldn't be any Greek gods and goddesses in this one. I found it hard to put down: only did so so that I could come to the discussion fresh.

I was really into mythology when younger. But I must admit that even after reading Hamilton, Homer, and a number of the Greek plays, with my senior memory I still get the characters and their relationships all mixed up. I wish I couyld find my copy of Hamilton -- it's a great reference to have (if you don't lose it).

HA HA ALF! I hop[e that comment refers to all the DLs. ;)

ALF43

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2009, 07:39:11 PM »
oops Joan AND CO-leaders. ;D

EvelynMC

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2009, 03:13:42 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations for authors of mythology.   I was introduced to mythology when I took Latin from our Ginny.  I just love the stories and my reading has really expanded.  Now I have more authors to explore.

Evelyn

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2009, 04:08:44 PM »
Oh my - I'm wishing we didn't put off the discussion of the book until mid-month.  It is so difficult not to say anything about it until everyone has book in hand and is ready to go.

Every once in a while, I find myself staring at the bookcover - and wonder what the blue and black and sand-colored drawing is supposed to be.  Am I the only one who doesn't get it?  Is it a map of some sort?

We're off to Disney in the morning.  On July 1, we'll begin the discussion - well, the Pre-discussion of the book - which is better than nothing, right?

Does everyone have a copy of the book?  What do you see on the cover?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2009, 09:54:54 PM »
Marjifay, I'm glad to see another Campbell fan here.

winsummm

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2009, 01:07:13 AM »
people of the book

a free sample is ordered for my kindle.  I like to check out the writing stye before spending the kindle price ten dollars on a book that is probably available at the library but probably not in large type.  that's the beauty of the Kindle. I enlarge six times so as to read more comfortably even with good reading glasses.

I likehistorical love stories. will have a look.

claire 8)
thimk

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2009, 12:50:18 PM »
I believe the picture on the cover is a butterfly.

winsummm

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
well the sample arrived. I read it and went right on with the book itself unable to stop. It took a couple of minutes to show up on the kindle.

the technical part in the beginning took me back to a materials class, part of my major at ucla where we made our own gesso and ground pigments first in water and then in egg medium. It's a lovely smooth surface to paint that way, made me want to do it again although now you can get acrilic gesso.

I think only two of us did the whole assignment. I enjoyed it mightily. . . and look forward to more in the book. There is lots  of information here already for me as a secular/reform Jew I know very little about the practice of a family sedar.

claire
thimk

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2009, 02:27:48 PM »
Winsom: I had the same reaction!

winsummm

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2009, 06:56:38 PM »
Hi Joank

do you have a kindle now? I think we did talk about it a while ago as a convenience for folks who are only semi mobile. I'm spending too much money for sure,but what is it for???

seeya

claire
thimk

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2009, 02:24:31 PM »
Hi, Claire!

Not yet. I have a library a block from where I live, and someone kindly pushes my wheelchair there every few weeks. And I buy far too many books on Amazon. Even with the shipping, their used books are often reasonable. (I still spend too much money!! But as you say, what is it for?)

seeya back!

winsummm

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2009, 10:40:22 PM »
Joan P and others

I know what the cover illustrtion is, having read the first chapeter of the book
it is a butterfly wing.

claire

thimk

Gumtree

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2009, 11:15:24 PM »
The illustration on the front cover of mine is of a woman: it shows the  lower face, throat and down to the cleft of the breast - there is also a small butterfly about 1 inch in size, what looks to be a thread or hair and a pinky dot, some calligraphy and down through the centre of the cover a broken line like a crack from top to bottom. The back cover zooms in to the chest of the woman, the broken line, calligraphy and part of a butterfly's wing. - woman is coloured in rich ochres and background and clothing is black.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2009, 01:16:16 PM »
We're baaack!  Sort of.  I need a bumper sticker for the car - "we survived a whole week in  DisneyWorld with 7 grandchildren - the oldest seven - in 98 degree heat!"  All I can say is - never attempt this yourselves - and if you must, make sure you have a cell phone on you - charged!  (With the phone numbers in each kid's pocket.)

Kidsal - I'm looking closely at the book cover - trying to see the butterfly that you see.  If I turn the book to the back cover, I see the continuation of the wing.  Thanks for pointing this out.  (you too, Claire!

Gum
, I tried every which way to turn the cover art to see the woman you describe.   No luck.  Finally googled - and found this Harper Collins edition cover - (perhaps printed in Australia???)  And now even I can  see her!  Who is she?  Do you think she's Hannah Heath, the conservator?  The Hannah in my head is not this glamorous - BUT if you only knew who has been cast as Hannah for the upcoming movie, you wouldn't be surprised.  I really don't want to tell you yet - until you have formed your own mental image of Hannah.

Claire - I remember thinking of you,  hoping you would join us -  when reading the early section - Hannah peeling  fat off the calf's intestine to make gold leaf, making a mess of her "old-lady hands."  (She's only 30, isn't she?)  Oh, dear, I'm getting into the story beyond the book cover and we haven't even started our pre-discussion yet!

Here's the plan - on Tuesday, the Book Bytes will be published, after which we will begin our Pre-discussion in preparation for the actual discussion of the book - which we will begin in earnest on July 15. I will try not to get into the story - until then, until everyone gathers here and has located a book.

EvelynMC

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2009, 04:43:46 PM »
JoanP Congrats on surviving DisneyWorld.  ;)

Evelyn

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2009, 09:02:58 PM »
JoanP: I have your medals ready.

Gumtree

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2009, 01:11:58 AM »
JoanP I see you're refreshed  and reinvigorated from your trip. 8)
 and yes, that's the cover illustration on my copy. I didn't know there was a film in the pipeline.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Mippy

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2009, 06:37:12 AM »
JoanP ~  Well done on the Disney trip!   One at a time, baby grandson, that is, wears me out!  You are amazing!  Those kids of yours with the grandchildren must be great, also!  

I've ordered the book and am looking forward to the pre-discussion.
quot libros, quam breve tempus

winsummm

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2009, 12:33:56 PM »
I can't believe I didd it, read  the whole thing . . . . maybe by july fifteen I will have forgotten most of it and it will all seem new again. in the meantime I'll concentrate on getting over this damn shingnles attack. this old ladie has blotches and  blisters on her old lady  hands.

seeya.
claire
thimk

winsummm

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2009, 03:55:12 PM »
so who is it to play hannah, my  first thought from the length of the neck etc. was too old now for the part. and I've forgotten her nae. the Captain of the ship in Aliens. . . someone will know.

claire :P

got it
sogourney weaver. . . not thirty any more.. .ann hathaway is too pretty but can do an;ything.  so . . who is it?
thimk

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2009, 05:08:09 PM »
Claire, I'm serious, I really don't want to spoil it for the others by inserting the image of this actress into the minds of our readers until they have at least formed their own picture from Geraldine Brooks' description.  I'll tell you this - it is neither Sigourney Weaver nor  Anne Hathaway...  You won't believe who it is, but try to wait until others have caught up to you! ;)

I can't believe you read the whole thing!  Please come back and discuss it again with us on the 15th!  I hope you forget what you read by then!  Poor old lady hands - that's from scrubbing the inside of the cow's intestine with the pumice stone!

Mippy, welcome aboard!  This is going to be quite an adventure!  Happy to hear you have ordered your book.

Frybabe

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2009, 06:40:40 PM »
I found a Reader's Guide on Geraldine Brooks' website. Thought you might want to take a look at it.

http://www.geraldinebrooks.com/people_readers.html

winsummm

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2009, 10:09:59 PM »
joan P you brought it up but didn't say we shouldnt 'try guess. who ever gets it right won't know until you decide to tell us. . .

so no guessing.  I guess.. claire
thimk

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2009, 07:33:38 AM »
Claire, you're right of course!  I did bring start the guessing game regarding the actress who will portray Hannah Heath when I saw the illustration on Gum's bookcover - Mea culpa!  It was my fault.  I just hope I can keep quiet about Hannah until everyone else has imagined Hannah.  How old is Sigourney Weaver now, anyway?  

Frybabe
- thanks!  We don't usually read the Readers' Guides until after everyone has read the book - lots of SPOILERS in there!  We'll save it for later.  Thanks, again.

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2009, 11:32:42 AM »
According to the internet movie database (http://www.imdb.com), Sigourney was born on 8 Oct 49.  She has a degree from Stanford in English Lit.

winsummm

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2009, 11:13:06 AM »
what is a pre-discussion?  I do remember those olymbics in sarajevo. another life time for me.  I've been trying not to talk or even think about this book until we were ready and have read a good science fiction book to change focus  The writer is Lois McMasters and the book was Warriors Apprentis. I'm already into the sequal and must change gears again.

about the haggadah . . . . I'd never heard of it. so much for a reform jewish background.  My daughter married into a conservative one and was amazed that I had never experienced a home sedar although she understood that she hadn't gotten to either growing up with me.

This book Illuminated a great deal for me and her. She will read it too, although I don't think she will join us.  There is something about us old people that turns of our Young ones, this one in her fifties. sheesh. doe illuminated mean illustrated? in any special way. hand painted minatures I guess on parchment in egg tempra???

claire ::)
thimk

Mippy

« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2009, 12:03:09 PM »
Claire and those who have not yet started reading  ~ 
A haggadah is a book of ritual readings used at the Passover Seder.   Most American seders I've attended use simple, paperback copies, nothing at all like the historical one in our book.
For many years copies were available free from the manufactures of matzo and other Passover foods.

Here's a link     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggadah

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2009, 01:51:13 PM »
You can still get free copies freom many grocery stores each spring. One grocery store near us had special Haggadahs for children, which my grandchildren loved.

CLAIRE: ny husbands family was reform, but still had seders at home, and used haggadahs. But each family is different.

winsummm

« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2009, 02:44:04 PM »
there was a community sedar at Hillel councel which I sent to a couple of times as a kid. My dad was involvred with the formation of the group.  I was bored but appreciated the wine and the gifilite fish. the minced apple was supposed to represent bitter herbs.  I never did know or care about what any of this represented and only went to a cople of them a large room full of people at long tables.

the one where the coeds walked in late was funny.  the door opened to permit eligia? or someone important anyhow. I am so unjewish but not at heart after all. I can't imagine being anything else, so it adds up to secular and in the end atheism.

claire :-\
thimk

Mippy

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2009, 03:36:20 PM »
Claire ~  you posted:  minced apple was supposed to represent bitter herbs.

Sorry if this is too much detail, but it might be good to correct it now in pre-discussion.
I'd like to emphasize that none of this detail is needed to enjoy the book.

Bitter herbs, maror, are eaten in a separate step of the ritual, and horseradish was used in our family.   

The apples are chopped with walnuts, then mixed with wine (with cinnamon optional) and
this mixture, charoset, represents the mortar used as the Jews labored in Egypt.  

A link might explain it better, but do skip over all this if you are not interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passover_Seder#Koreich_.28sandwich.29 

ALF43

« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2009, 04:21:01 PM »
Did I read this earlier on when I started this story or did someone mention that Seder actually means "order" in Hebrew?

I love horseradish and will now forever remember that this food underscores the bitterness of the Jewish experience and the bitterness of slavery.

I also love chopped nuts and apples (called Haroset in Hebrew) that symbolizes the building mortar used by the Hebrew slaves in their forced labor.  mm---mm wine mixed in with Mippy's should make it all the better .
Salt water symbolizing the tears due to the years in bondage is too sad for me to even contemplate today.

I have never been invited to a passover or sedar but I love tradition and would love to be invited.  Are Christians welcome to come if invited by a family member?

Babi

« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2009, 04:45:14 PM »
  I'm reading the book and am well into it by now.  I'm enjoying it so much, I
forget to pause and make notes.  I expect I'll have a few things to contribute, tho'.  Naturally, one of the first things I did was look up a number of words I
was only vaguely familiar with.  Looks like it's going to be one of those lovely
read and learn experiences.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2009, 06:41:30 PM »
ALF:" Are Christians welcome to come if invited by a family member? "

OF COURSE!. If you're ever in Southern California at Passover time, you have an open invitation.

I love the churosis, too! When my kids were kids, we would all chop it up together, pretend we were making morter like the Jewish slaves, and sing "Let my people go!" as loud as we could.