Author Topic: Story of Civilization ~ Will & Ariel Durant  (Read 350085 times)

Justin

Re: Story of Civilization ~ Will & Ariel Durant
« Reply #360 on: October 31, 2009, 12:43:10 AM »

"I want to know what were the steps by which
man passed from barbarism to civilization (Voltaire)"

What are our origins?
Where are we now?
Where are we headed?
Share your thoughts with us!
   Volume Five (The Renaissance)

"Four elements constitute Civilization -- economic provision, political organization, moral traditions, and the pursuit of knowledge and the arts. "

"I shall proceed as rapidly as time and circumstances will permit, hoping that a few of my contemporaries will care to grow old with me while learning. "

"These volumes may help some of our children to understand and enjoy the infinite riches of their inheritance."

"Civilization begins where chaos and insecurity ends."

SAVONAROLA AND THE REPUBLIC

The Prophet
The Statesman
Literature: The Martyr
Architecture and Sculpture: The Republic and the Medici
Art Under the Revolution

In this volume the  term "Renaissance" refers only to Italy. Will Durant studies the growth of industry, the rise of banking families like the Medici, the conflicts of labor and capital and considers the reasons why Italy was the first nation, and Florence the first city in Italy, to feel the awakening of the modern mind. He follows the cultural flowering from Florence to Milan, Mantua, Ferrata, Verona and Venice, Padua and Parma, Bologna, Rimini, Urbino, Perugia, Siena, and Naples. 

In each city of Italy we witness a colorful pageant of princes, queeens, dukes, or doges -- of poets, historians, scientists, and philosophers -- of painters, sculptors, engravers, illuminators, potters, and architects -- of industry, education, manners, morals, crime, and dress -- of women and love and marriage -- of epidemics, famines, earthquakes, and death.

Dr. Durant draws vivid vignettes -- of Petrarch, Boccaccio, Cosimo de' Medici, Fra Angelico, Donatello, Beatrice and Isabella d'Este, Leonardo da Vinci, Piero della Francesca, Signorelli, Perugino, Giovanni Bellini, Giorgione, Aldus Manutius, Correggio, Alexander VI, Caesar and Lucrezia Borgia, Julius II, Leo X, Raphael, and Michelangelo.

The Renaissance, by recalling classic culture, ended the thousand year rule of the Oriental mind in Europe.

This volume, then, is about YOU. Join our group daily and listen to what Durant and the rest of us are saying. Better yet, share with us your opinions.

Discussion Leader: robby

Ambrogio Calepini gave his name to the early English dictionaries (Calepins). and
predated by a couple of hundred years the later lexicographers extolled here by the
Oxford Dictionary -

http://www.askoxford.com/worldofwords/oed/legendarylexicographers/?view=uk

Wikipedia has a fine picture of a bust of this learned Augustinian monk 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrogio_Calepino

I suggest we post the following material along with Brian's instructions in # 356  on as many foreign site as possible.  

The Story of Civilization has been active as a discussion group for eight years. We are now talking and reading about Italy during the Renaissance years.

That period in history was launched by reports of the travels of Marco polo and the reappearance of classical objects from antiquity. Early archeologists unearthed what once was Rome and the Arabs of Spain brought Greek and Roman documents to 13th century Italy. Genovese and Pisan trade with others around the Mediterranean basin brought new Hellenic influences to the Italian peninsula.  Artists were ready to break out of the idealistic constrictions of the past and to push into more realistic areas of art expression.  

Trade brought new wealth to Italian merchants and gave rise to a moneyed merchant class. The new wealth found it's way to the Papacy and it encouraged dissipation among the Popes of the period. This led to abuses and to conflict with European royalty and dissension from within the Church.

Things happen in this period of history that change the way of the world forever. We can never go back and it all happened here.

Come share with us this discussion of one of the most significant periods in the history of the world.

You'll be glad you came and you will gain in understanding why we are where we are today.  

Robby

« Reply #361 on: October 31, 2009, 03:52:32 PM »
I appreciate the spirit I am seeing among everyone here to revitalize our discussion.  I am perfectly willling to continue guiding the discussion as I have always done but do not have the time to spread myself around to rouse up the populace.  I have a busy clinical psychology practice, seeing patients hourlyfrom 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. five days a week.  I am extremely active in the local Chamber of Commerce.  I am on the Board of Directors of the Virginia Psychological Association and I have just been appointed to the Board of Directors of the local Hospice.  These are not honorary appointments.  I don't attach my name to anything unless I become an active participant.

If all of you as a group can unite your efforts to bring back some of our "old" friends and to recruite new ones, you have my word that I will be an active DL as I always was.

Thank you so much for what all of you have done over these many years.

Robby

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #362 on: October 31, 2009, 08:45:17 PM »
OK, I'm ready to change from my witch costume of today to my Cleopatra costume for tomorrow. I've had a long discussion with my asps, and they promise not to bite. So, who is bringing the food?

ALF43

« Reply #363 on: October 31, 2009, 09:16:11 PM »
ROBBY- you are the rock of this discussion.  You have always been the greatest of leaders and I salute you, my frined.

Andy
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Gumtree

« Reply #364 on: November 01, 2009, 01:43:53 AM »
I'm an occasional 'lurker; reporting in as requested. I read the discussion from time to time and sometimes venture a word or two.

Congratulations on your epic journey through history - I'll come to the party as Cleo's handmaiden carrying the basket of asps. I'd better organise some virtual food and drink too!

I do hope some of your active participants from the past rejoin the discussion so I can lurk around for a few more years.  8)
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #365 on: November 01, 2009, 09:13:58 AM »

Congratulations, Robby on your incredible achievement with The Story of Civilization, 8 years!

I've come with balloons to celebrate and more exciting news:  that our own  Robby has another achievement,  too, he's being honored by an entire chapter in the forthcoming book "WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH THE REST OF MY LIFE?  True Stories of Finding Success, Passion, and New Meaning in the Second Half of Life." by Bruce Frankel.  Published by Penguin Press.

Our own celebrity!! Rejoice, let's partay!

Frybabe

« Reply #366 on: November 01, 2009, 09:46:48 AM »
Congratulations Robby!

Brian

• Brian's Den
« Reply #367 on: November 01, 2009, 11:00:42 AM »
Congratulations to all of us - - - and especially to Robbie who puts more into a single day than I put into a week.

As promised, I have brought some food - - - I will leave the drink for others to bring.

Celebratory Feast 

Butlered Hors D'ouevres

Crab and Avocado Tostadas

Sweet Potato Pancakes with Crème Fraiche and Apple Cracklings

Red Onion and Gruyere Tartlets

Lobster Quesadillas

Filet Mignon Crostini with Herb Butter and Watercress

First Course

Smoked Trout Napoleon on Sweet Potato Crisps

Entrees

Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb with Roasted Shallots and Rosemary Oil

Pan Seared Scallops in Herb Butter with Shitake Mushrooms, Grape Tomatoes and Snow
Peas

Eggplant Rolletini with Ricotta Lightly Topped with Béchamel

Vegetable

Herb infused Fingerling Potatoes and French Green Beans with Lemon Zest

Salad

Field Greens with Carmelized Pears, Gorgonzola and Glazed Pecans in White Balsamic
Vinaigrette

Dessert

Fudge Brownie Cake with Hazelnut Cream Served with Vanilla Gelato and Chocolate
Sauce

May we all be around to finish the mammoth task set us by Robbie.

Brian (posing as Will Durant - - - just for the day!).

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #368 on: November 01, 2009, 11:20:22 AM »

Yaaaaaaaay, Robby!  8 yrs!! My goodness!  Barbara St Aubrey and I seem to remember suggesting that you start this discussion in Chicago in 1999 and what a SUPERB discussion it has become.  You are a great DL!!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #369 on: November 01, 2009, 12:51:12 PM »
YEAH ROBBY!! Our fearless leader has done it again! When/where can we get this book? You mean there are enough other people like you to make a book? I thought they were all in Seniorlearn.

GUM: thank you for holding my asps. I'll hold your food. But you don't need to bring any. Look at Brian.

BRIAN: I mean WILL. Who knew you were such a gourmand. And I'm still full of hershey bars from Holloween.

Now, where is Mark Anthony?

bluebird24

« Reply #370 on: November 01, 2009, 01:39:57 PM »
Robby wow:) 8 years that is great!
Brian what are apple cracklings?
Battle of Anghiari
http://www.wga.hu
look at alphabet on bottom
click l
find Leonardo Davinci

Brian

• Brian's Den
« Reply #371 on: November 01, 2009, 01:54:32 PM »
Welcome bluebird - - -

Apple Crackling is made from just-picked apples drenched in naturally sweet apple cider, sprinkled with sunflower seeds, and baked until crispy,  and it is delicious.

Enjoy!  Will (Brian).

bluebird24

« Reply #372 on: November 01, 2009, 02:03:59 PM »
yay Robby!
Brian thank you

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #373 on: November 01, 2009, 02:23:08 PM »
Wow, Brian. Do you want us to sample all the food. We can't -- we have to choose. Let me see---.

mrssherlock

« Reply #374 on: November 01, 2009, 03:39:02 PM »
Mark
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Brian

• Brian's Den
« Reply #375 on: November 01, 2009, 03:39:34 PM »
I have posted an invitation - - - beautifully crafted by  Justin - - - in three of the other sites on SeniorLearn, and hope we can attract some more posters to our discussion.  Robbie is the hub, but we still need wheels.

JoanK - - - I hope you used the term "gourmand" in its newer meaning - - - it used to have the connotation of antithesis to "gourmet", and described a person whose love of food was greater than his ability to stop eating and drinking.

By the way - - - who's bringing the booze? - - - I'm getting thirsty.

Will (Brian).

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #376 on: November 01, 2009, 06:01:41 PM »
Good question. I 've soft drinks, but that's probably not what you want. I'll get a good wine to go with the meal. What do you recommend.

I thought "gourmand" was just someone who appreciated good food. I should have said gourmet. Your menu is one for the ages!

Emily

« Reply #377 on: November 01, 2009, 06:06:47 PM »
I am bringing the wine. My teenage boyfriend hid me in a barrel when they were loading the wine from the vineyard, where we both are slaves, to be shipped back to Gaul. He was allowed to assist the cart driver to help onload the barrels on to the ship when we reached port. We never reached the port, the driver had too much to drink and fell asleep. We slipped off into the night with horse, cart, and wine. We came upon your party, and will offer wine for food.

From Wikipedia....

Large-scale, slave-run plantations sprang up in many coastal areas and spread to such an extent that, in AD92, emperor Domitian was forced to destroy a great number of vineyards in order to free up fertile land for food production.

During this time, viticulture outside of Italy was prohibited under Roman law. Exports to the provinces were reciprocated in exchange for more slaves, especially from Gaul where trade was intense, according to Pliny, due to the inhabitants being besotted with Italian wine, drinking it unmixed and without restraint.[6] Roman wines contained more alcohol and were generally more powerful than modern fine wines. It was customary to mix wine with a good proportion of water which may otherwise have been unpalatable, making wine drinking a fundamental part of early Italian life.

Emily (Sixteen year old slavegirl)

Emily

« Reply #378 on: November 01, 2009, 06:16:21 PM »
This is excellent wine we are offering, I stomped the grapes myself. A barrel of water will be needed to temper the wine, or it will be a short party. Everyone will be under the table, including me.

Emily (sixteen year old slavegirl)

Brian

• Brian's Den
« Reply #379 on: November 01, 2009, 06:30:37 PM »
That's great Emily - - - I shall certainly help in demolishing an amphora or two.
It will be a pleasure to give food to a couple of escaped slaves.

You will remember that the Romans considered wine to be a necessity and not a luxury.

In vino veritas (that's a wee morsel in honour of Ginny's Latin classes).

Will (Brian).

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #380 on: November 01, 2009, 06:46:33 PM »
Hic!

(That's not Latin).

Where is our honoree?

Emily

« Reply #381 on: November 01, 2009, 07:15:47 PM »
Joan (Cleopatra) I too am wondering if Robby (Mohammed) lost his invitation, or is he busy dictating sura's against this entire enterprise. I would be distressed to lose my head over a barrel of wine, when I've only been free for a few hours. Maybe I can do my 'grapa stomping dance' for him, while you work your wiles as Cleopatra. You might become wife #15, but you would still have your head.

What about Justin (Mark Anthony), probably watching those bread and circus games again.

Emily

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #382 on: November 01, 2009, 07:24:46 PM »
Justin (Mark Anthony) stood me up. Just because he's scared of my snakes!! Humph.

Justin

« Reply #383 on: November 01, 2009, 07:58:59 PM »
Hear this,  Cleo, If you will put your snakes in a basket I will bring the claret and the mixing water to our party. The trick is to eat, drink and be merry for as long a time as possible and then to do as Cicero did- learn new things no matter one's age. Now is the moment to booze it up so lets have at it. Bottoms-up.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #384 on: November 01, 2009, 08:01:49 PM »
AHHH! Mark Anthony is coming. My snakes are safely tucked in the basket. I have to leave for awhile, but I'll be back.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #385 on: November 01, 2009, 08:12:53 PM »
Dear Robby, 

Congratulations on this most significant occasion! 
Jubilation !!!

Thank you for your extraordinary dedication to the work of Durant  and your continuing discussion.

As you know, I was a  some-time participant in the past and greatly enjoyed the discussion. But on some occasions  I found myself at variance with Durant and his approach.

Bravo, bravissimo!
Traude

mrssherlock

« Reply #386 on: November 01, 2009, 08:24:27 PM »
The reason we drink wine is the water isn't safe.  Bottoms up!
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #387 on: November 01, 2009, 08:59:13 PM »
Eight years!  I hadn't quite realized.  What an accomplishment.  I've been in this discussion from time to time with great pleasure, guess it's time to come in again.  The last time, I ended up being sunk by trying to keep the Guelphs and Ghibbelines straight--something I've been failing at my whole life.  But here goes again.

I can't improve on Brian's menu, though I suspect sweet potatoes weren't prominent in Renaissance menus, and someone else is bringing the wine, so I'll just add a picture of the preparation.

http://www.mutualart.com/Artwork/Kitchen/541ECAB594B80AB6

And I'll be willing to help handle the asps.  I have as many fears as everyone else, but they're different, and snakes are definitely not among them.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #388 on: November 01, 2009, 09:27:13 PM »
Who are you coming as, Pat?

Emily

« Reply #389 on: November 01, 2009, 09:45:59 PM »
Welcome Mrs. Sherlock and PatH, and to all the posters who have joined the party today.

Brian (as Will Durant) has laid a feast that is tempting just to read, much less eat. As a starving slave girl, I will eat and then fill my scarf, tied at all four corners, for later. I wear the scarf on the rope around my waist that contains my only worldly possessions, bits of food for days when there isn't any.

PatH, in the kitchen scene by Campi, is that a stag hanging in the upper left part of the painting?

Justin (Mark Anthony) so glad you made it to the party. With all this food and wine, the party may go on all night.

Emily (teen slave)

Brian

• Brian's Den
« Reply #390 on: November 01, 2009, 10:18:13 PM »
This has the looks of being a long day - - - the food is lasting like the Widow's Cruse --- I have had so much to drink that I almost typed Widow's Cruise - - - and on last count, there have been 26 posters - - - Oh no! I'm seeing double again.

I nearly forgot - - - where's Robbie?  Surely he could do with a drink.

Will (hic! Brian)

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #391 on: November 01, 2009, 10:30:09 PM »
Well, I was going to come as Lucretia Borgia, but I think instead I'll be Artemesia Gentileschi.  She was a painter, a tad farther on then we have gotten to (1593-1656), but very appealing to me.  Her "Judith and Holofernes" is unbelievable.

http://www.artemisia-gentileschi.com/judith1.html

This link doesn't do it justice (warning--it's pretty bloody) and nothing I've ever seen in print does it justice, but I was lucky enough to see the original at an exhibit in DC at the Museum of Women in the Arts, and it was unforgettable.  Judith's expression is a remarkable fusion of cold justice and judicial impartiality, distaste at the actual process, and personal vindication.

The focus of the exhibit was women painters of the time, and how, as a portrait painter, you got commissions by pushing your own personal image--in the case of a woman, being a non-threatening member of the class of your female subjects.  "Judith" wiped the floor with all the other paintings, including some others by Gentileschi, but it was still well worth seeing.

You can assume that Judith is Gentileschi, but don't worry, I'll leave my knives and swords at home.

Brian

• Brian's Den
« Reply #392 on: November 01, 2009, 11:57:16 PM »
Pat - - - what you didn't tell us was that Artemesia Gentileschi painted that picture shortly after she had been raped by one of her father's friends.  No wonder she put so much feeling into it.

And, on that happy note, I am off to bed - - - it's been along day - - - but I hasten to add - - - it has been a FUN day.

Back to work tomorrow and damn the hangovers.

Brian (Will has already gone home).

winsummm

« Reply #393 on: November 02, 2009, 12:15:53 AM »
hmm Brian's Apple Crackings have me drooling a little. I wonder if I can make some. Iff so I'll bring some for all of you.

claire
thimk

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #394 on: November 02, 2009, 07:58:41 AM »
What a celebration, food and costumes, yet! And what food!

Cannot stop thinking about this one:

Red Onion and Gruyere Tartlets. Yes, please, is there a recipe?

And oh...

Crab and Avocado Tostadas

Yes yes! What an exciting alive group this is, congratulations to you all! Makes one want to be part of it, does the party go on 8 days, one for every year?

winsummm

« Reply #395 on: November 02, 2009, 02:29:47 PM »
exciting and alive about food. what happens when we return to durant? food is more relevant to our lives I think. crab and avocado tostados need a little moistening and a sqeese of lemon I think. possibly a little cilantro as well. yummmmm
thimk

Emily

« Reply #396 on: November 02, 2009, 03:07:44 PM »
Back to the future.

My slave boyfriend and I slipped away during the night and made our way to the Port. We are aboard ship, heading back to Gaul (France) our home. We will face danger when we land in port, as it is controlled by the Roman Legion. With luck we will escape the port and travel at night by the Northstar into the far reaches of Provence, and home.

Now, back to today and the renaissance with the three Popes. One has died and the two left standing are scheming and vying for advantage in a power struggle for control.

Nothing lasts forever.

An aside.....On my daily desk calendar of 'Lost in translation' quotes the following....

"Here, you shall be well fed up and agreeably drunk. In the close village you can buy jolly memorials for when you pass away."

in the brochure of an Italian hotel in the Dolomites

Emily

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #397 on: November 02, 2009, 03:15:58 PM »
I thought Durant had covered everything! But now I see what's been missing all these years -- food! He doesn't tell us what people ate in these epochs we're passing through.

That's important -- we could develop a whole alternative history based on food. It's clear, if the Emporor has a stomach ache, he's going to want to go out and conquer everything in sight. But if he's pleasantly sated, like us, he's going to want his subjects to be happy too.

Before I get started on this magnum opus, can I have some leftovers?

Brian

• Brian's Den
« Reply #398 on: November 02, 2009, 03:38:06 PM »
Oh my poor head!  I should never had so much from that last amphora - - -

Well, Robbie how did we do?  JoanK, go ahead - - - help yourself.

I for one never want to see any more Roman wine, and am ready to sign the pledge.

The only thing that might clear the hangover is a good stiff dose of history.

Are we ready to continue?

Brian.

Justin

« Reply #399 on: November 02, 2009, 04:49:16 PM »
It looks like the party is winding down. We started with a panegyric.  We have all drunk too much and now it's time to go back to the main pleasure. I hope all our old friends who have come to the party stay and joust with Durant once again. Traude and Pat H. and all the others, we have missed you.  Come, please, we can not continue very well without your participation.