Author Topic: Last Dickens, The ~ Matthew Pearl ~ Pre-discussion  (Read 14159 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Last Dickens, The ~ Matthew Pearl ~ October 1
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2009, 05:37:15 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Click register at the top of the page to create a username and password so that you can post messages in the discussions here on SeniorLearn.

You are all invited to join us here on October 1! 

We are happy to announce that the author, Matthew Pearl, will join us in the discussion of his  latest novel, "The Last Dickens," as he did with his "Poe Story"  and "The Dante Club.

Matthew's literary fiction picks up where Dickens left off in "The Mystery of Edwin Drood."  The story of the fate of Edwin Drood is a mystery within a mystery. When young Edwin disappears after dinner on Christmas Eve and his watch and chain are later found in the nearby river, everyone suspects foul play. Could one of Edwin’s acquaintances have murdered him – and, if so, what could their motive be?  Tragically, the mystery is destined never to be truly solved, as Dickens died before he could finish this novel – all that is left are the clues that can be found in the completed chapters.

Pearl  sends a partner of Dickens’ American publisher, James Osgood, to the Dickens' estate in England where we meet the "fugitives"  from the characters of Dickens' novel.  Is Edwin Drood dead or alive? Was he killed by his uncle, John Jasper? Or did he somehow escape that fate, possibly to return later?  We are anticipating more intrigue as Pearl's fictional characters search for answers in the author's well-researched fiction.

Do plan to join us.  Matthew assures us that his book can stand alone, even if you haven't read Dickens' novel.

PREDISCUSSION  - Some questions to consider before we begin:

1. Have you ever read Charles Dickens' Mystery of Edwin Drood?

2. Are you aware of the fact that Dickens died before he completed his mystery?

3. Did the knowledge that Dickens would leave you hanging at the end affect your appreciation for what Dickens had completed before his death?

4. "The ideal mystery is one you would read if the end was missing." (Richard Chandler, creator of Philip Marlowe)  Do you agree with him?

5. To your knowledge, are there any known documents or recorded conversations that indicate Dickens' intentions for the second half of his novel?

6. Have you read any of the other recent novels that have attempted to complete Dickens' story?

7.  Are you expecting  Matthew Pearl to reveal something about what Dickens was planning for the end of his novel, following his extensive research?

Chapter discussion schedule
October 1-6:     First Installment ~ Chapters 1-10
October 7-10:   Second Installment ~  Chapters 11-17
October 11-13:  Third Installment ~  Chapters  18-22
October 14-16:  Fourth Installment ~ Chapters 23-26
October 17-28: Fifth Installment ~ Chapters 27-37
October 29-31: Sixth Installment ~ Chapter 40 

Discussion Leaders: JoanP, Andy

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2009, 05:42:29 PM »
Glad to see you here, Andy - as we gear up for October 1.  You add a certain "oomph"  to these discussions!

Matthew's comment -
"Absolutely no knowledge of Dickens or of The Mystery of Edwin Drood is required to read The Last Dickens"
-  is reassuring to those who haven't read Dickens'  novel - but some of us who have might be hoping that the author's  vast research into Dickens'  Drood will reveal a little something of Dickens'  intent - unintentionally, of course. :D

I'd really like to know what has caused the recent renewed interest in Drood.  It makes me wonder if there hasn't been a recent discovery, or reason to go back to consider how Dickens intended his story to end.  Matthew, can you tell us what brought you to Dickens' last novel as a starting point for your fiction?

serenesheila

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2009, 10:35:14 PM »
Please count me in on this discussion.  I have the book.  But, I am rather confused about "The Mystery of Edwin Drood".  I am hoping that this Matthew Pearl book will clear up some of my confusion.

Sheila

ALF43

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2009, 09:24:44 AM »
Welcome aboard SereneSheila.  I love it when you are in one of the discussions with us.
We are now discussing The Mystery of Edwin Drood which is Dicken's last writing.
He died prior to completing this mystery back in 1870 soemthing.
In October, we will follow that up with Matthew Pearl's The Last Dickens  intriguing novel whose characters try in their own way to uncover the final mystery.  Matthew has assured us that we do not need to read The Mystry of Edwin Drood to read his novel; his story can stand alone. 
He has proven to be a wonderful resource for us when he offered to join us in The Dante Club.

Come on in and have a seat Sheila while we go collect the rest of our readers for this tale.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

matthewpearl

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2009, 10:43:26 AM »
This is a great discussion group and book club, so I'm always glad to squeeze myself in.

You know, I'm not sure there's any reason for renewal of interest in The Mystery of Edwin Drood now. It might just be cyclical. For me, I came to my decision to write a Dickens novel while writing my novel about Poe, The Poe Shadow, and researching Poe's one meeting with Dickens.

I do hope my novel can help those of you spending time thinking about the Mystery of Edwin Drood to see it in a light. I love when books speak to books!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2009, 05:13:41 PM »
Sheila, good to have you in this discussion too!  Not only do we have Matthew's well-researched book - we have Matthew himself to pepper with questions.  He's been living and breathing Drood for several years now!

"Maybe it's cyclical."
 Matthew, were you surprised to learn of the other books on the subject of Edwin Drood that came out around the same time your book was published?  Not that they are anything alike, but  did you know they were in the works while you were writing yours?

ALF43

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2009, 09:13:56 PM »
I feel compelled to share my insanity with all of you here in The Last Dickens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok I am well aware that my mental status has been questionable, to say the least lately -but will someone please look and confirm the fact that Chapter XX111 entitled The Dawn Again, is the very last chapter of this mystery, before Mr. Dickens retired and went to join his ancestors?

I'm reading away tonight and all of the sudden, thinking that I am starting part two of this story I retire to the bedroom with my book and start reading about Master Humphrey's Clock.  
How nice, I think, one more character called Master Humphrey.
Apparently this is a lesser-known story of Dickens because I have no idea who these people are.  Now I've followed Edwin, Rosa, Mr. Crispsparkle, et. al and up pops Master Humphrey all of a sudden!  "WHO?????????" SHE ASKS.

Comically I sat up and started shaking the bloody, damned book thinking that Amazon had gyped me.
What the h***?  They've left out the rest of the story.

Before I panic I have but one question--  Is that all there is?  XX111 chapters???

Matthew, move over!  I am going to write the finish MYSELF! :o
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

matthewpearl

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2009, 09:17:12 AM »
Matthew, were you surprised to learn of the other books on the subject of Edwin Drood that came out around the same time your book was published?  Not that they are anything alike, but  did you know they were in the works while you were writing yours?

No clue! Since most books take years to write, and don't really get spoken about during the writing process for many reasons, you don't hear about them until publication is announced (and the book is already finished). The same thing has happened to me before, but it can help to create the feeling of a "trend" or "pattern" which can bring more attention to the book.

Now I've followed Edwin, Rosa, Mr. Crispsparkle, et. al and up pops Master Humphrey all of a sudden!  "WHO?????????" SHE ASKS.

That's all there is! Though the chapter numbers themselves can vary depending on the edition (the reason for this is after Dickens's death, the sixth and final installment was reorganized by John Forster, Dickens's literary executor, and one of the chapters split into two). Some publishers try to fatten up their editions of The Mystery of Edwin Drood by including other ancillary writing or shorter stories, since I think people expect a bit of heft when picking up a Dickens novel.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2009, 09:51:35 AM »
Hahahaaha, you've made me laugh, Andy.  Earlier you stated how Dickens went to "join his ancestors"  before completing the book - and then you lost it when you  actually reached the end of what he had written!  Join the club - now you know how those who have read Edwin Drood feel!

Matthew - I was just thinking about Dickens - and the "heft"  issue.  Can you imagine how long his Drood would have been, how "hefty"   if what we have in hand is only half of what he had planned!

It's true, the recent publications on Drood have created a certain field of attraction to Dickens'  work - sending many of us to read hs Mystery of Edwin Drood for the first time!

winsummm

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2009, 01:53:11 PM »
I'll look at the sample if it is on kindle. real books print is too small for me otherwise. Is it a mystery? I think I like them better than ordinary novels where the writer gets lost in discription while I'm breathlesly waiting to know then what happened.

claire
thimk

mrssherlock

« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2009, 01:58:46 PM »
Mark
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

ALF43

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2009, 01:58:48 PM »
winsumm- great we would love to have you join us.

Matthew's literary fiction picks up where Dickens left off in "The Mystery of Edwin Drood."  The story of the fate of Edwin Drood is a mystery within a mystery. When young Edwin disappears after dinner on Christmas Eve and his watch and chain are later found in the nearby river, everyone suspects foul play. Could one of Edwin’s acquaintances have murdered him – and, if so, what could their motive be?  Tragically, the mystery is destined never to be truly solved, as Dickens died before he could finish this novel – all that is left are the clues that can be found in the completed chapters.

Pearl  sends Dickens’ American publisher, James Osgood, to the Dickens' estate in England where we meet the "fugitives"  from the characters of Dickens' novel.  Is Edwin Drood dead or alive? Was he killed by his uncle, John Jasper? Or did he somehow escape that fate, possibly to return later? We are looking forward to Matthew Pearl's version in October!
Please do join us!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2009, 02:01:44 PM »
Winsummm, the author says that you don't have to know anything about Dickens or his Mystery of Edwin Drood in order to enjoy THE LAST DICKENS. I've read the book already and I think it stands on its own as a mystery story.

It's available on Kindle. See http://www.amazon.com/Last-Dickens-Novel-ebook/dp/B001VT3L3W

Phyll

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2009, 05:06:30 PM »
Marking my place.
phyllis

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2009, 05:55:04 PM »
Phantastic, Phyll!  Jackie!  And  Claire, yes, Matthew has written   a real mystery.  I think you will enjoy this one!  Welcome -  all of you!

Have you ever read Dickens' Mystery of Edwin Drood?  Just curious. It was reading Matthew's book that sent me to read Dickens'.
Here's a question for those of you who did read Dickens'  last novel -
 Did the knowledge that Dickens would leave you hanging at the end - affect your appreciation for what he had completed before his death?  I just had a chilling thought - do you think Matthew plans to end his own story in the same way?  I don't know if I could take it!

"The ideal mystery is one you would read if the end was missing," writes Richard Chandler, creator of Philip Marlowe.  (What was he thinking!) I'm wondering how many of you agree with that?

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2009, 06:57:29 PM »
If the end of a mystery was missing, would I read it?  Frankly no.  I can understand Chandler's statement, however, no ending to the story would leave the reader puzzled, leave the reader thinking, using the imagination.  Yes, that would be good but still I wouldn't like it at all.  We expect mysteries to end, it's our right! 

I've started Pearl's book and just got interrupted on Chapter Six, I believe, where the romance between Rebecca and Osgood is beginning to bloom, but such violence and colorful characters and historical characters.  It is all rather exciting and I must return to it as soon as possible; I cannot be left in 1870 in Boston with the frustrations of the Civil War and try to find a connection between Dickens' lost pages and the Englishmen's trip to civilize the natives in India.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2009, 07:02:17 PM »
JOAN, in answer to a few of your questions, I have NOT read Dickens' Mystery of Edwin Drood, but I did know that he had died before ending the serial installments.  Will I want to after reading Pearl's book?  Perhaps!

I'm not sure what to expect from Matthew Pearl's book.  I picked it up on a shopping expedition to Barnes and Noble as it looked rather intriguing and I know I shall enjoy discussing it here, particularly with Mr. Pearl in attendance.

mrssherlock

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2009, 03:29:42 PM »
Before this discussion was off the ground I had Pearl's book and was reading it but it was accidentally returned to the library before I finished.  It's waiting for me now so I'll pick it up this weekend. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2009, 03:34:25 PM »
Jackie: reading your quote, the fall colors are among the few things I miss here in California. Are they beautiful yet?

mrssherlock

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »
I live in Oregon, the Wilamette Valley, and we are just starting to see some color changes.  We don't get the spectacular color shows that New England enjoys; many of our trees are evergreen and another large category is wood for pulp, not noted for exotic colors.  Many of our homes are adorned with Japanese Maples, chose for their delightful form as well as beautiful spring and/or fall colors.  But vast sweeps of colors do not occur here.
Jackie

serenesheila

« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2009, 03:30:40 AM »
Clair, yes, both books are available on Kindle.  I love being able to enlarge the font, as my eyes seem to be going, too.

Sheila

ALF43

« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2009, 08:36:02 AM »
I just picked  Girl in a Blue Dress, by Gaynor Arnold, a novel inspired by the marraige of Charles Dickens.  Have anyone ever heard of him?
 It IS a novel and I hope I do not become overly indulgent with the breakdown of this marriage in the story.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2009, 02:15:34 PM »
Just in case you are waiting for a library book - and get impatient, you might be interested to know that a paperback edition of Matthew's Last Dickens will be available in the US on October 6.  My local library has a total of nine editions in all of its branches - all except one is checked out!

Andy, I have heard of Girl in a Blue Dress, but not much.  The girl, I gather is Catherine, Dickens'  wife.  As a wife and mother, she got bad reviews - especially from her own children, as I recall.  It was their aunt, their mother's sister, Georgina, who lived with them, kept house and cared for the children.  I'm not going to defend Dickens'  affairs with young actresses, however.

Ella, I'm not sure what to expect from Matthew's book either - I've read well into it to get into the story, but not sure if Matthew intends to reveal his personal thoughts on Dickens'  intended ending in his fiction.  Dare we ask Matthew if he reached any conclusions as he researched The Mystery of Edwin Drood and the existing materials, illustrations, letters, etc. during  the years  spent on this book?  (He's not going to tell, I'll bet. ; But we can ask, can't we?)

ps  Matthew, I still intend to drive over to George Mason for the panel discussion, but am still waiting for some workmen to finish a project - they were supposed to be here this morning - and assure me they will be here this afternoon.  I am looking forward to it -

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2009, 12:53:23 PM »
I finally got my book--ready to go.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2009, 03:13:33 PM »
Started the book last night, and I'm hooked!

mrssherlock

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2009, 05:44:19 PM »
Got my book!
Jackie

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2009, 06:01:02 PM »
That's great!  The discussion schedule is in the header - we're on the way to London - by way of Bengal!  Bengal?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2009, 09:42:30 PM »
Day after tomorrow!  I'm reading away.

JoanR

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2009, 04:44:59 PM »
I have "The Last Dickens" and am looking forward to starting it tonight.  I read "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" some time ago
and, although I enjoyed Dickens' descriptions so much (you really get a feel of presence!)  and his characters were so fascinating, I was upset by the incompleteness of it all.  And upset also at the tragedy of Dickens' death before he was past the halfway mark of what was supposed to be his greatest work.
 With this discussion in mind, I read (or tried to read) Dan Simmons "Drood".  I gave up before the end - it was far, far too long and repetitive -where was the editor?  Also I really don't like it when someone takes real-life people from the past (who can't defend themselves!) and mistreats them all over the place!  Willkie Collins took a huge beating in this book!
I always thought that Jasper was not likely to be the murderer because where then would be the mystery in the missing 250 or so pages that were to come.  I even toyed with the idea that Edwin was not dead but returns .
I can hardly wait to see what Mr. Pearl does with all this!!!!

Deems

« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2009, 05:24:16 PM »
marking

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2009, 06:09:18 PM »
Oh good, Joan R, so glad you will be joining us.  And we had hoped you'd find the time to join us, Maryal.  We'll close this Pre-discussion now and move over to our nice new place, just as we turn the calendar page to October -

You're all invited to join us  for our discussion of Matthew Pearl's - The Last Dickens