Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 552453 times)

marjifay

Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #640 on: May 10, 2010, 06:03:53 AM »
So many movies – how do  you choose what to watch?
Reviews?  Recommendations?  Actors?  Availability?
Do you choose a movie the same way you choose a book?

And where do you like to watch most of your movies?
Do you stream movies from Netflix and other places?
Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever watched a film?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of your favorite movies right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

I have the 1981 version of Brideshead Revisited (4 discs) on my Netflix queue, Pat.  With Jeromy Irons, Anthony Andrews, etc.  Wonderful.  I've only watched the first two discs so far.  They really brought the book to life.  Great acting--yes, as you said, a magnificent job.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Babi

« Reply #641 on: May 10, 2010, 08:24:59 AM »
Actually, PAT, 'Miss Congeniality' was a lot of fun, and an excellent
acting job by Sandra Bullock. I've seen it twice.   That was when I really
first took notice of Bullock and I've been following her movies ever since.
Her current one is, I understand, based on a true story and is getting fine reviews.
It's called "The Blind Side" and it's on my queue.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #642 on: May 10, 2010, 08:47:09 AM »
The first Sandra Bullock movie I remember seeing is The Net. They've been showing it on cable recently.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #643 on: May 10, 2010, 09:16:25 AM »
My favorite Bullock movie is "While You Were Sleeping". And wasn't that her in "Practical Magic", another favorite of mine.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Tomereader1

« Reply #644 on: May 10, 2010, 12:08:41 PM »
Marjifay, you list looks great!  I've seen all but the Austrian film and In Old Chicago.  In Bruges is filled with cursing and very violent.  While I have read Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, it is only recently out at the movie theatres, and I've not seen it yet.  Book kept my interest though.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #645 on: May 10, 2010, 12:11:43 PM »
Just watched "The Blind Side" yesterday with hubby and eldest daughter. (get your kleenex out) Wonderful film, Bullocks best role yet, but I like her in the comedies!  Congeniality2 is not anywhere up to the original one.  I also liked her in Speed (the original); The Net; Practical Magic and I think she was in Love Potion #9.   Hope Floats is pretty good.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #646 on: May 10, 2010, 12:44:28 PM »
I never heard of Practical Magic. She was good in Two Week's Notice too, and I liked her and Keneau Reeves in The Lake House. Oh, and I almost forgot - one of the very, very few Silvester Stallone movies I liked, Demolition Man.

Tomereader1

« Reply #647 on: May 10, 2010, 01:22:17 PM »
Forgot about "Lake House" - - I loved that too.  "Two Weeks Notice" was funny, funny.  Love Hugh Grant, also.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #648 on: May 10, 2010, 09:56:01 PM »
I liked "The Lake house" too. Although, I'll watch almost anything with Keneau Reeves in it.

mrssherlock

« Reply #649 on: May 10, 2010, 10:50:02 PM »
Me, too!
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Babi

« Reply #650 on: May 11, 2010, 08:35:02 AM »
 I see I've missed one or two Bullock movies.  Hold on a sec, while I jot them down.  :)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #651 on: May 11, 2010, 04:01:40 PM »
Marjifay, that is a great list of films.  I’ve seen quite a few of them.  Loved the Anthony Adrews Brideshead Revisitied and also My House in Umbria.  I was disappointed with In Bruges, good scenery, though.  As for Girl with the Dragon Tatoo – it will keep your attention, though the violence and sex is really extreme.

Frozen River is on my queue too, but I don’t know who or what  recommended it to me.  Maybe Netflix.  Now I’m waiting for the next five star film.  For me, there’s only been about 5 in the last year --  Recent Five Stars –

Two Weeks
          Paper Chase --   a golden oldie
          Julie and Julia
          The Station Agent
          Beyond Silence  (German)

Babi

« Reply #652 on: May 12, 2010, 08:47:27 AM »
 Thanks for the warning, PEDLN.  I'll skip the 'Tattoo' film; extreme violence and sex really doesn't appeal to me. Hopefully the book is not
as bad; at least it's not visual.
  On further investigation, I realized I had seen the Bullock movies I
thought I'd missed; I'd just forgotten the titles.

Tomereader1

« Reply #653 on: May 12, 2010, 11:20:36 AM »
Ahh, The Station Agent!  Simply loved that film!

What is "Beyond Silence" about?

André Maurois

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #654 on: May 12, 2010, 11:35:42 AM »
Tomereader,  Beyond Silence is about a hearing child whose parents are both deaf.  Conflicts arise when the child is given a clarinet by her father's sister, who is a professional clarinetist.  I found it to be a fascinating film.  The actors portraying the parents were deaf, one French, one German, and the sign language used was German.  It's a German film with English subtitles.  Another interesting feature was watching the child grow into a young woman.  Two actresses, but so similar in appearance you don't realize it.

salan

« Reply #655 on: May 12, 2010, 12:23:29 PM »
Babi, I did not enjoy "Girl with a Tatoo".  It was too depressing, and had too much violence and sexual molestation for me.  It put images and thoughts in my mind that I did not wish to be there!  It was well written--just not my kind of book.
Sally

winsummm

« Reply #656 on: May 12, 2010, 06:30:29 PM »
JoanK quote
I liked "The Lake house" too. Although, I'll watch almost anything with Keneau Reeves in it.
me too and that was a really good movie. I have not read the book. I wonder if my Kindle has it.

claire
thimk

marjifay

« Reply #657 on: May 12, 2010, 07:08:18 PM »
Thanks for your film recommendations, Pedln.  I saw the Paper Chase a long time ago -- I agree, a great film.  I just haven't been too interested in watching Julie and Julia for some reason, but I added it to my Netflix queue, along with the other three I have not seen.

I've been trying to read with another group Thornton Wilder's novel, The Bridge of San Luis Rey,  a difficult one to get through.  So I put the 1944 film version on my queue, along with Our Town (the one with Paul Newman as the Stage Manager) which I saw before and read the play, and loved.
Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Babi

« Reply #658 on: May 13, 2010, 08:02:43 AM »
It put images and thoughts in my mind that I did not wish to be there!

(SALLY)
 Alas, yes. Once seen, there forever, and cropping up unwanted at odd
times. I've learned to censor carefully what goes into my mind, if at all
possible.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #659 on: May 13, 2010, 03:01:36 PM »
I didn't know Paul Newman did "Our Town". Makes me want to rejoin netflix just to get it!

marjifay

« Reply #660 on: May 14, 2010, 12:11:52 PM »
Sally said: It put images and thoughts in my mind that I did not wish to be there!  It was well written--just not my kind of book.

It would be nice if we could have only nice, pleasant thoughts in our head, wouldn't it?  But I guess we'd then better not read the newspapers, listen to the television news, etc.

Marj

salan

« Reply #661 on: May 14, 2010, 04:08:55 PM »
Marj--that's exactly why I do not like to read about those things in novels.  I get enough of it in real life.  Most of my reading is done for entertainment and pleasure therefore I do not wish to read about sexual perversion, extreme cruelty, etc.  There are too many books out there for me to enjoy!
Sally

mrssherlock

« Reply #662 on: May 14, 2010, 08:10:02 PM »
I read only local newspapers, the Salem and the Portland papers.  (The Knights of Columbus had a spaghetti feed last weekend.  $10!)  Only watch News Hour on PBS.  Listen to NPR which has a twice daily one-hour BBC World News. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Babi

« Reply #663 on: May 15, 2010, 08:29:17 AM »
 JACKIE, have you read a little book called "Lumby Lines"?  You would love their newspaper!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #664 on: May 15, 2010, 11:32:11 AM »
JoanK, I'm finding that I enjoy the TV programs that I get through Netflix as much as the movies.  It's so hard to keep up with weekly TV shows, and this way there are no commercials.  Of course, I'm a few years behind the times.

I'm getting a new TV DVD on Monday -- Ballykissangel -- has anyone seen that?  I know nothing about it.  And don't remember who recommended it.

You all are so smart and know all the shows, please help me out here. What is the name of --  I think it's a TV series from several years ago -- about a family, the setting in Seattle (I think.) The mother dies in a horrible crime scene, a son is severely injured in the same scene. There are both married and unmarried children.  The dad later meets and starts dating a lady doctor. They ride bikes. I think Adam Arkin plays a son-in-law. (I tried looking him up, but there is so much.)

Tomereader1

« Reply #665 on: May 15, 2010, 11:47:51 AM »
Pedlin, the title of the TV show was "A Year in the Life".  I think 1986 or '96.  Arkin was, indeed, in it.

André Maurois

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #666 on: May 15, 2010, 02:07:34 PM »
Thank you tomereader.  You are right and there is a brief article about it in Wikipedia.  I was thinking I would like to see that show again, but there is nothing at either Netflix or Amazon.  Maybe some day.

salan

« Reply #667 on: May 15, 2010, 02:12:10 PM »
I watched Ballykissangel and absolutely loved it.  I think you will, too.  I had forgotten all about it.  Thanks for mentioning it.  I may have to rejoin Netflix just to revisit programs like this.
Sally

Babi

« Reply #668 on: May 16, 2010, 08:49:39 AM »
 What an odd title....'Ballykissangel'!   What on earth is that about?

We like watching old series via DVD also.  There were some we missed or never heard of,
like the British 'Primeval', that we're enjoying now.

salan

« Reply #669 on: May 16, 2010, 06:25:51 PM »
BallyK, as the natives called it, is a town in Ireland and the action is very character driven.  The acting is excellent, and the story revolves around all the characters in the story, a feminist pub owner, a priest, a female vet, a wealthy man who feels he owns the town, his two not too bright workers, and many more.  If you get a chance you must watch this program.  It will make you laugh and cry and keep you anxious for the next episode!
Sally

Babi

« Reply #670 on: May 17, 2010, 08:30:52 AM »
You've sold me, SALLY.   I'll look for it on Netflix.  :)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #671 on: May 17, 2010, 10:33:47 AM »
I watched Episode 1 last night, Babi.  Very enjoyable, different.  Sally has described it well.  And it is captioned. At first I didn't think it was, but it is.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #672 on: May 17, 2010, 02:05:44 PM »
Watched Foyle's war last night. I liked it, as usual. At the end, Foyle is off to America on the Queen Mary.

I hope they do the next episode on the Queen Mary! I sailed to England on it in 1963. Now it is berthed in Long Beach. My son and I did a tour of it last year: because I was a former passenger, I got royal treatmeent, and introduced to the current "Captain".

Frybabe

« Reply #673 on: May 17, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
I finally got through an entire Foyle last night. For once it held my interest. Miss Marple is up next. I will have to remind Mom. Miss Marple is one of her favorites.

Babi

« Reply #674 on: May 18, 2010, 07:50:37 AM »
 You sailed on the Queen Mary, JOAN!  What great memories you must have. 

Last Sunday's Foyle episode was especially good.  Very complex plot that really kept me
guessing and totally surprised me at the end.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #675 on: May 18, 2010, 10:38:27 AM »
JoanK, you set me to thinking about the Queen Mary last night.  I've never seen it, but a couple friends of mine have been on it more than once.  I think they were on its last voyage, but not sure.

But I was wondering, thinking about air travel all messed up because of volcanic eruptions. Are there any ships nowadays that make straight ocean-crossing trips -- without taking you on a tour?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #676 on: May 19, 2010, 10:37:54 PM »
But I was wondering, thinking about air travel all messed up because of volcanic eruptions. Are there any ships nowadays that make straight ocean-crossing trips -- without taking you on a tour?
Good question, Pedln, I don't know of any.

I sailed on the Queen Mary too, in late September 1958, coming back from a year in Zurich.  It was a very rough crossing.  Bob stayed in the room for several days, looking pretty green.  I'm pretty resistant to seasickness, so after half a day I was OK, but the dining room was pretty empty, and the shipboard social life was definitely minimal.

Mippy

« Reply #677 on: May 20, 2010, 09:49:50 AM »
Shall I chime in ... while we're off subject, on travel by ship.     :P

In Sep 1966 we took a huge, supposedly stable ship across from NY to Naples, the Italian line's Michaelangelo.   It was 6 days en route, and I was bored to tears.  We were en route to Israel for my husband's year teaching at Hebrew University (in English) in Israel.

We had our 1 year old with us, and the ship's day care didn't work, because the "nice" Italian nannies let our daughter have all the candy she could eat, and she was sick.
I took something like Dramamine because the motion bothered me, so I slept in the daytime way too much ... out like a light on the medicine.
My husband worked ... he was writing a book ... so he didn't care where he was.
The waiter spilled OJ down my back at breakfast and did not say he was sorry, not even in Italian.   But when I felt well enough to eat, I must admit the food was delicious.

Never again ... we flew to return at the end of our year, and shipped our stuff by freight.
quot libros, quam breve tempus

Babi

« Reply #678 on: May 21, 2010, 08:28:21 AM »
 I wonder whether that particular Italian shipping line is still in business,
MIPPY.  They didn't seem to have a good grip on passenger care and
satisfaction.  :-X

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #679 on: May 22, 2010, 02:49:47 PM »
MIPPY: we were in Israel at the same time!! I wish I'd known you then -- I was in Beer Sheva, but I would have gladly made the trip to Jerusalem to see you.

The tour of the queen Mary tells how glamorous it was in first class. Maybe,-- Dick and I were in tourest class, and I was bored to death too. (It was Winter, and too rough to go outside, so we played scrabble the whole way. Except when Dick was seasick. There were days when I was the only person in the diningroom).

The others didn't miss much -- the English cooking was uniformly tasteless. But served in style! The waiter would approach with a silver covered tray, whip the cover off with a flourish, only to reveal a small dish of lukewarm canned fruit cocktail.