Author Topic: Mystery Corner  (Read 158178 times)

Steph

Re: Mystery Corner
« Reply #520 on: April 22, 2009, 07:44:29 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

No books on my chest. My newest rescue corgi who is named "Gracie" would object. She has claimed the right to cuddle at night and then fall gently asleep. She was lost in the woods for no one knows how long. She suffers from terrible night terrors and cries and shudders in her sleep. I have found that cuddling her helps her and then when she cries out, I am very close and can tell her that all is well.
The sins committed on animals is sometimes beyond my imagination.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #521 on: April 22, 2009, 10:22:33 AM »
  Oh, PEACE, I definitely give Stephen King credit as a really good writer.
Anyone who can scare me with written words as he does is a master craftsman in his field.  I just don't want to read books that leave me with nightmares!

STEPH, since getting cable and going digital, I have been watching
Animal Planet a lot.  It is incredible some of the things you see there, but
it is so good to see those animals rescued, cleaned up, restored to health
and hopefully, homes found for them.

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #522 on: April 23, 2009, 07:56:23 AM »
I have been involved in Corgi rescue for quite a few years and have two rescues currently living with us. Rescues have so much love wrapped in them. Hard for them to share, but it is rewarding when they begin to trust again.
Started a semi western type mystery by Allana Martin. She writes in current day,, about  a woman who runs a trading post down by the mexican border in Texas. They are interesting and quite unusual.

Babi

« Reply #523 on: April 23, 2009, 08:33:49 AM »
I've just finished the first of the Charlaine Harris "Shakespeare" series, ie., "Shakespeare's Trollop".  I'm ambivalent about it.  The lead character, Lily Bard, is rather difficult to warm up to as she tends to isolate herself.  This is gradually explained by her past history, but it does make it difficult to 'get involved'.  I'm going to read the next one, because I think it will be worthwhile.
Harris makes Lily's involvement in a murder case much more reasonable than most of books of this type.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #524 on: April 23, 2009, 02:04:40 PM »
Babi:  According to Fantastic Fiction Shakespeare's Trollop is #4 in the series.  #1 is Shakespeare's Landlord http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/charlaine-harris/shakespeares-landlord.htm This one probably sets the scene (it's been a long time since I read it) which may make Lily a more interesting and sympathetic character. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #525 on: April 24, 2009, 07:49:36 AM »
Yes, Shakespeares Landlord sets the scene and so you understand Lilys pain and fear or committment. I did love the short series. Lily in the end is braver than I could be.

Babi

« Reply #526 on: April 24, 2009, 08:55:16 AM »
Yes, I discovered that, to my chagrin, when I picked up what I thought was the second book and realized I had them all out of order.  I'm accustomed, in picking up a book in a series, to find all the previous books in that series listed somewhere. The copy of "Shakespeare's Trollop" did not have such a listing, so
I assumed it was the first. Ah, well.  It's not a major problem.

Steph

« Reply #527 on: April 25, 2009, 09:27:10 AM »
They are being reprinted by a different publisher and he did it out of order, No idea why.
I am reading The Spellman file.. A really odd book. Supposed to be a mystery, but darned if I see why. It is interesting in a complicated sort of way.  Lisa Lutz is the author.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #528 on: April 25, 2009, 12:19:09 PM »
Finding the order of books in a series is a pain. Publishers WILL list them alphabetically in the front, rather than in time sequence. Many a time, I've stood in a bookstore reading the copyright dates on a series to find out which is the next one.

Of course if I was prepared, I'd have looked in Fantastic Fiction (link in the heading) -- they list an authors works by series and publicatin date. But I usually don't know, when I set out what I'm looking for.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #529 on: April 25, 2009, 01:14:43 PM »
Our Library has taken to using a colored tape and putting the series number on the spine call no. It's a HUGE help.  In the bookstore, I resort to the checking copyright dates, too, though some publishers do list the books in chronological order, but one's never sure.

I always end up looking in several places for authors I like. Sometimes the local catalogers will decide to put a favorite author in Fiction, sometimes in Mystery, sometimes in Romance.  Bookstores who categorize seem to do the same thing.  Whatever.  I guess there's no perfect shelving solution...hence the need, as I tell others who complain to me about the same thing...that that's the reason for the "card catalog"...whether the old time version (if any of those still exist) or the computerized one.

jane

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #530 on: April 25, 2009, 02:40:03 PM »
Like jane, I use the library catalog to get the order of publication, and never hesitate to open the books to check on the back of the title page.  You can usually get that information on amazon.com, too.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Babi

« Reply #531 on: April 25, 2009, 09:47:01 PM »
And I really do appreciate the pb's that tell you right on the front cover,
Book I of the ______ Series.  So helpful.  Now if I could just sell the librarians on the idea of buying all of a series.  It's so annoying to find they only have Book I and III!

Steph

« Reply #532 on: April 26, 2009, 09:53:20 AM »
Finished the Spellman File.. Very unusual book. But there are three and I will look for the second one.
Yes, I do hate to make a mistake, read like #4 first and then  have to retrack. I would love to have a number somewhere on the back of each book in a series.

Babi

« Reply #533 on: April 26, 2009, 10:17:04 AM »
 The more I read of Charlaine Harris (I'm reading some of the 'Shakespeare' series), the more I like her.  I'm glad I followed up on the recommendations some of you made here. I intend to go on to more of her work. Thanks, y'all.

Steph

« Reply #534 on: April 27, 2009, 07:33:43 AM »
Harris is a unusual writer. She writes in several genres and makes you want to read each one for a different reason. I like the Sookie series because Sookie is funny and honest and you feel it. Weird when you think she reads thoughts and likes vampires and werewolves, but she feels like someone you would like to know.

Babi

« Reply #535 on: April 27, 2009, 08:47:53 AM »
Which Harris series was it that featured a woman who always knew where the body was buried...literally? 

mrssherlock

« Reply #536 on: April 27, 2009, 12:37:46 PM »
Harris makes it easy for us.  All the Harper Connelly stories have the word "Grave" in the title.  There have been four so far.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/charlaine-harris/
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

nlhome

« Reply #537 on: April 27, 2009, 06:44:48 PM »
I read the first three of the Charlaine Harris series with Harper Connelly, and I look forward to the fourth. Because there were no more in that series, I checked out A Fool and His Honey, one of the Autora Teagarden books by Harris. That was not what I expected, much more serious than I thought it would be. Our library only has one more in that series, so I will read that to see if I want to order any of the others.

mrssherlock

« Reply #538 on: April 27, 2009, 09:25:02 PM »
nlhome:  I'm sorry you didn't like the Aurora Teagarden book.  I began my reading of this author with that series and consumed them gladly as they can out.  There's not much of Harris' sense of humor in them, true, but she is a talented author who can captivate me in many styles. 
Jackie

nlhome

« Reply #539 on: April 28, 2009, 08:28:42 AM »
Jackie, it wasn't so much that I didn't like it as that I expected it to be lighter - that's why I want to check out another to see if maybe I can like Aurora more.  Our library has mostly the Sookie books, and I don't really enjoy that type, and none of the Shakespeare ones. Yet. I find that after I request some of those series that our library does not have, we then get some in - our library staff use requested books to help decide what to add to the collection. So, do you have a recommendation about the Shakespeare ones? Thanks.  N

Steph

« Reply #540 on: April 28, 2009, 08:30:53 AM »
Aurora was the first books published by Harris. She had not developed her sense of humor or would not let it peep out much in that series. Harper is an interesting woman and Harris is doing some interesting work with her. It is Sookie where Harris uses her sense of humor the most.
I am reading a very very cozy type.. Married to the Mop.. Not much plot, but sort of fun.

mrssherlock

« Reply #541 on: April 28, 2009, 10:19:49 AM »
Lily Bard, the housecleaner who lives in Shakespeare, is not very light either.  LIly is seeking solace and finds it in her solitary occupation which allows for little interaction with her clients.  Harris' subject is murder and its effects on the families and friends of the deceased.  She has infected the Sookie series with whimsy but violence is at its heart.  What I like about Harris is, first of all, it is about women who are flawed yet still act, however reluctantly, to deal with their problems.  Secondly her lead characters have very distinct voices so that switching from one series to another is not like the same old story with only different names on the characters.  Thirdly, I'm not sure why, I just like her books. Maybe it is that Lily, Aurora, Sookie and Harper are intelligent and it shows.  There is never an instance of, why didn't she, why did she, etc. 
Jackie

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #542 on: April 28, 2009, 04:49:55 PM »
I'm really excited about the discussion of "Three Cups of Tea" that will be starting May 1: The book is non-fiction, but is so interesting, I couldn't put it down. It's an American climber who gets lost in a small Pakistan village. When he leaves, he promises to build them a school. Although he is almost penniless, he manages in the end to build over 200 schools for girls in Pakistan and Afganistan. How he does it is an inspiration to all of us.

Join the end of the prediscussion here:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=369.msg20784;topicseen#new

or wait for the discussion, May 1.

Steph

« Reply #543 on: April 29, 2009, 07:30:37 AM »
Jackie, well put. I also feel that I just like Lily and Sookie and Roe and Harper. Harris has a gift for making her women into people I admire. They lift their heads and carry on. A valuable life trait in my estimation.

Babi

« Reply #544 on: April 29, 2009, 10:16:23 AM »
  Harris' 'Shakespeare' series could not be called 'light', by any means,
but they are well written and I have definitely become 'involved' with the
life of Lily Bard. Even if she does make me feel guilty about the poor
level of my housekeeping! (That's a side issue; don't worry about it.  ;))

Steph

« Reply #545 on: April 30, 2009, 08:27:25 AM »
Laurie King also wrote an excellent ( well lots of very good stuff) book called Folly about a woman who has been terribly damaged by life and how she copes.. Very good indeed.

mrssherlock

« Reply #546 on: April 30, 2009, 01:27:37 PM »
Folly, I haven't read that one in about three years, time to reread it.  Speaking of Laurie R King the library notified me that her latest Mary Russell, The Language of Bees, is waiting for me.  Hooray!
Jackie

peace42

« Reply #547 on: May 01, 2009, 01:14:24 AM »
just finished Double Minds by Terri Blackstock...didn't realize it when I picked up the book from the new book section but this is a Christian mystery...involved the Christian music business..main character is Parker James...secondary characters include her brothers Gibson and LesPaul...Daddy, a guitarist and alcoholic, named his kids after guitars!! nothing spectacular here but did like it and would read another..she has written several different series of books so want to start with number 1, if I can!!
Garrison Keillor on books: "they're rectangular and easier to wrap than, say, basketballs, and they're a compliment to the recipient"

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #548 on: May 01, 2009, 09:17:30 AM »

The VOTE IS ON!  May 1 - May 5
After reading reviews of the nominated titles,
in the  Suggestion Box-  please vote for future Book Club Online discussions.

Thanks!

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #549 on: May 01, 2009, 01:19:13 PM »
Never read the OConnel. I have read Nancy Martin, who does Philadelphia society.. They are fun.. Not a whole lot of mystery, but wonderful funny plots..

I agree that Nancy Martin is so funny.  I hope she writes many more about the three sisters.

I am now reading "The Princeton Murders" by Ann Waldron,  I highly recommend it and the author.  I see by the front of the book that she had written others with Princeton in the title.  I will certainly check them out at Amazon.

mabel1015j

« Reply #550 on: May 01, 2009, 01:44:40 PM »
I just finished "Dead Girls Don't Wear Diamonds" by Nancy Martin. Easy, fun reading and since i live in South Jersey and know the PHila area, it adds to the fun. Am now reading one of the Amish stories, "Too Many Crooks Spoil the STew"  by Tamar Myers. The beginning is a little slow, i hope it speeds up.................jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #551 on: May 01, 2009, 05:42:37 PM »
I like Nancy Martin too. Do the "Princeton" muders take place in Princeton, NJ? I spent a summer there once.

Alexan

« Reply #552 on: May 02, 2009, 12:01:38 AM »
Hi folks - haven't been in for such a long time.   Hope this finds you all well. :)

I just finished a book by Jeffrey Archer.   It wasn't exactly a mystery - but it was most enjoyable and I couldn't put it down.   "A Prisoner of Birth".    I've also been reading some Patricia Cornwell books.   

Babi

« Reply #553 on: May 02, 2009, 09:23:59 AM »
 Good to have  you back, ALEXAN.  I hope you are well, too.  I think I've read
something by Jeffrey Archer, but I don't remember what just now.

serenesheila

« Reply #554 on: May 03, 2009, 12:43:48 AM »
Bbi, Jeffrey Archer wrote a book called "Cain and Able", which I thought was great! 

Can someone please tell me the name of Laurie R. King's first book?  I want to order it for my Kindle.  Thanks!

Sheila

Alexan

« Reply #555 on: May 03, 2009, 01:35:06 AM »
Serenesheila:  Laurie R. King’s fiction falls into three areas. First in the hearts of most readers comes Mary Russell, who met the retired Mr Sherlock Holmes in the winter of 1915 and became first his apprentice, then his partner. Starting with The Beekeeper’s Apprentice and continuing through The Language of Bees, Russell and Holmes move through the ’teens and ’twenties in amiable discord, challenging each other to ever greater feats of detection, traveling the world from Sussex to Simla.

And then there's King’s other series concerns San Francisco homicide inspector Kate Martinelli, her SFPD partner Al Hawkin, and her life partner Lee Cooper.

There the stand-alone novels - "A darker place"  and historical novel "Touchstone"

But think you may want "The Beekeeper's Apprentice" which I think is the first one.   

serenesheila

« Reply #556 on: May 04, 2009, 01:50:43 AM »
ALEXAN, thank you for the info on Laurie R. King.  I just tried to get "Beekeeper's Apprentice", but it isn't available for my Kindle.  So, I ordered the other Beekeeper book that you mentioned.  I will order the first one, in paperback if it is available.

Sheila

Tomereader1

« Reply #557 on: May 04, 2009, 12:57:25 PM »
 Has anyone read the novels of Louise Penny?  I just discovered them through another website I subscribe to with other book lovers.  They are mysteries, in a way sort of cozy, but not smarmy in any way.  Set in Three Pines, a picturesque village in Quebec, the lead detective is Inspector Armand Gamache.  First book in the series is "Still Life"; then "A Fatal Grace".  Excellently written and you learn about the characters who live in the village as the investigation moves on.  I highly recommend these books.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #558 on: May 04, 2009, 02:31:52 PM »
Tomereader: I love the Penny mysteries. I've read the same two you have, they are the only two my library had. Got to look for some more.

I also like Laurie King, especially her series about Sherlock Holmes' wife. She had managed to create a character who uis believable a Holmes' wife.

I like the other series, too. Note that the detective is gay: if it makes you uncomfortable to read about gay relationships, you might want to skip those.

I haven't had good luck with my reading lately. My f2f mystery group meets tonight to discuss "Leather Maiden" by Joe Lansdale. We had read an earlier one we liked, "The Hollow". But "leather Maiden" is definately a waste of time. He tries to do a "tough guy" in a middle class suburban setting, and it doesn't work at all. Without the "mean streets", it just sounds silly. And there are parts that are much too gruesome for me.

Then I picked up a Mary Dahiem "Viagra Falls". I usually like her, but I couldn't get into this one at all. 100 pages into the book, there not only hasn't been a murder, there is only one character, except for the continuing ones.  Perhaps she's going to kill off her husband's ex. No loss, but there's only one suspect.

Alexan

« Reply #559 on: May 04, 2009, 02:46:49 PM »
JoanK - I find that gay relationships sometimes make the characters more interesting.   I have no objection whatsoever to them.

One of Patricia Cornwell's characters has a "same sex partner".   The niece of her main character Kay Scarpeto, the coroner has a same sex partner.   

I am trying to get hold of Masello's "Blood and Ice" - I think it is just a new publication - my library doesn't have it (yet).

I've just place a hold on a book by Arnaldur Indriðason, called Arctic Chill - I'll know in the first chapter if I like it or not.   It was among one of the new titles in my library.