Author Topic: Holiday Memories Open House  (Read 56554 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Holiday Memories Open House
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2010, 12:01:05 AM »

Holiday Memories - An  Open House for All of US!

What's the best Christmas or Holiday you can remember from back in the Good Ole Days? We hope you will come  right inside out of the cold and share those memories with us - beginning Dec.1   T'is the season to wax nostalgic about Christmas past - and all the  holidays you celebrate this time of year..

Every party needs MUSIC!  Let us know your Holiday favorites...we'll link them here for you. Remember this one?

What's a party without  GOODIES? Let's  fill this buffet table with your favorites!  What's your best  Holiday  recipe ever and  the story behind it? Do you still bake like you once did? Shall we have a contest for the OLDEST RECIPE?

And what's a gathering of BOOK LOVERS without Books? We all have our seasonal favorite STORIES and POEMS. What are yours?  Each week in December we'll focus on two of your favorites.  Do you remember these two?

Is it really you, Hats!  What a pleasant surprise! We hope you will stay for a while.   Please sit down and have a nice cup of tea by the fire. nlhome - will your remind us where you are?  Is it snowing there now?
Books are the best presents, aren't they?  That's a great tradition you have -  My sons really treasure their childhood books with inscriptions - and dates inside.

I've noticed Pearl Buck's name being discussed in the Library the last few days.  Quite a coincidence that we are talking about her Christmas Day in the Morning here too.  I was curious about her background after reading this story.  Was really surprised to see that she moved with her parents to CHINA when she was three months old.  She came back to the US to attend college in Virginia - but didn't her story sound as if she had grown up on a farm in the US.  She seems so familiar with what a farmer's  life must Have been like.
Have you read The Good Earth?
Pearl Buck's Biography
I was also surprised to read that her marriage was not a happy one either - and yet she writes such a poignant tale.
Have you read her story?  It really makes me think of my own father - of how I was never able to find the just the right Christmas present to let him know how much I loved him.  Christmas is really a time for remembering, isn't it... My mother died when I was seven,
- so my father was the one who made the magic at Christmas from then on...

"He wished, that Christmas when he was fifteen, he had a better present for his father. As usual he had gone to the ten-cent store and bought a tie."
Ahhh, Christmas shopping at the ten-cent store.  Now THAT takes me back - way back!! (No wonder I couldn't find the perfect gift for him!  :D ) It didn't matter if I had been able to shop at Bloomingdales, there would not have been an adequate gift for that man!

kiwilady

« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2010, 12:41:34 AM »
Hi Hats

Lovely to see you here.

Carolyn (SNs kiwilady)

kiwilady

« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2010, 12:51:18 AM »
Because I have to eat gluten free I rarely cook for family gatherings now. Gluten free ingredients cost so much that I only bake for myself rarely. I also do not want to contaminate my cooking stuff with glutened ingredients. I do buy them good quality baked goods as my contribution.

My contribution to the family feast this year will be supplying the baby potatoes. We can all eat those. Potatos are really expensive nowdays. Its disgusting as we are an agricultural nation. All globalisation has done is increase the price of all our food to an almost unaffordable level.

I take mostly my own food to the Christmas feast I already have gluten free sausages for the barbie in my daughters freezer. I will take some gluten free ham also. They will have a non gluten free ham so I will not be able to eat it. My youngest daughter always makes a giant trifle and she always makes me an individual gluten free trifle ( bless her). I can eat Pavlova and fresh cream too.

My kids don't drink to excess on holidays. I am pretty much a non drinker. I will have one single whiskey on Christmas day. However NZ has a binge drinking culture its terrible. Not my kids thank goodness!

Carolyn

Steph

« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2010, 06:26:53 AM »
HAts,,I missed you and wondered where you were. Glad for you to be back. Feel like an old friend returned.
I remember Ideals. We always got one for Christmas. My mother saved them, but no idea what happened to them.
My sons are funny about some of the Christmas traditions.. My eldest get so indignant because they dont make the old fashioned ribbon type candy any more.The current stuff is thick and not the thin thin stuff, we all adored.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanR

« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2010, 08:31:09 AM »
Hats!  So good to see you here - you have really been missed.

I seem to have been too quiet myself for too long, so I'm making a Christmas resolution (and that is more binding than a New Year's resolution!) to be a better "poster" in the future.  Things have been a bit overwhelming lately but I can work around them.  My DH is becoming more and more forgetful and I find myself taking on responsibilities that I never had to deal with before, besides keeping him happy and relatively healthy.

I've put up and decorated a tree here in my study and have let DH decorate the
living -dining room just the way he wants - he has a sweet, small tree out there that reminds me of the tree our children used to decorate for themselves .
 He has hung Christmas balls all aong the perimeter of the ceiling and covered every flat surface with the antique bells and small toys that we used to collect.  The effect is really very nice!

I've been enjoying all the Christmassy postings - the recipes sound intriguing.  I will definitely make the squash recipe!  Sticky toffee pudding sounds a bit rich for us but so good!

Babi

« Reply #125 on: December 10, 2010, 08:38:29 AM »
The Native American book initiative did kind of die a natural death, GINNY.
The last two times I e-mailed my contact there was no response. I don't know if they lost interest, or the contact was no longer there, or what.

HATS! How wonderful to hear from you again.  It seems I lost track of so
many old friends when SN crashed.  I'm so grateful to Ginny for starting up
this site for us all. 
  BLESS YOU, GINNY.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2010, 09:01:06 AM »
Babi I'm glad you brought that up, the move here, and thank you for the kind thoughts,  because it's something I also have been thinking about, as this is our second holiday season here and I'm feeling very grateful to all of YOU who have made this site a home.  Thanks to all our volunteer staff who have first of all put the thing UP, it seemed a daunting task initially,  and seen to it that it works.

All of our Technical Staff and Hosts, who truly we could not have functioned without, what a contribution, what a creation they have made:  (These lists are all in alphabetical order) :  Jane,   Joan Pearson,  Marcie, Pat,  and Tony, our old webmaster who was such a help initially.

All of our Discussion Leaders (who have I left out here?) : Adoannie, ALF (Andrea), Annafair, Babi, Barbara,  Bill, our late friend Deems (Maryal) ,  Ella, Harold, JoanG, Joan K, Judy, Pat H,  Pedln, Robby, and Traude.  

Our Latin Teaching Assistants : Pedln, Mippy and Goldensun and former TAs  Janet and SandyRose, and  Games Meister Edith Anne,

All of our Latin Students, all 70+ of them.

Our Readers and Participants, in the hundreds.

Each person who comes here by generously giving us the gift of his time and  talents  has changed what we are and made it even better, it's become a true   home for all of us. I wanted to say this at Thanksgiving but felt perhaps it was too maudlin but truly in this long season (as Dickens said the rolling season of the year) I feel it the most.

Thank YOU all for everything you've done, it HAS mattered and it HAS sustained us and made it work. It's one thing to put it up, it's another thing to actually work to make it go. You've done that.

I'm very proud of what we've done  here, and you.

Thank you!! Gaudeamus as the Romans would say, let us rejoice!  Let's PARTY!  
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2010, 11:38:09 AM »
Party would be a great boost this weekend - groan - I have to pack which means sorting out the winter clothes - the plan is to ship my two weeks supply of clothes etc. so that I only have carry-on when I leave next weekend. I want to run over to my son’s in Magnolia. Hoping to do that on Monday but we have to chat about the timing and it may be pushed up to Sunday. If it is Sunday, on my way home I will be driving against all the lights of folks returning to Houston after their day or weekend out of town where as, on Monday there will not be on-coming traffic.

Yes, Ginny this is great that Senior Learn is alive and well - I think it took some of us awhile to get past the shock of feeling like the rug was pulled - now, when there is talk of a corporate take-over we know how it happens. Ah so... Onward!

I really like this discussion that Joan has put together - more coffee klatchy - chatting with a variety of interests from music and recipes, memories to changing short stories but with a theme - Hope we could have this kind of discussion a few times during the year for other memorable holiday seasons.

It is a thing now - like neighbors after they say 'Hay' we comment on the weather - today is glorious - sunny, warm with just the right chill in the air so we know winter is almost here.

The few trees that do show Autumn color only turn around Thanksgiving. In the planting circle on the patio there is a Shumard Oak that grew from a bird dropping - the space is crowded with a Redbud that also grew from a bird dropping - I really need to get that Oak out of there before it gets much bigger but I love seeing the color - the leaves are the toothed leaves and the edges turn a beautiful maroon -  

I also get a grin over the temerity of the Shumard. The patio is sheltered by a huge Live Oak that drapes over the area so that only in the Fall and early Spring when the sun is low do I get sunshine in my windows and then this wayward tree, like a cute two year old stubbornly thinks it can grow full size by finding spaces between the branches of this old master of our landscape. Probably could but its roots would tangle up under the foundation of the house or break up the patio - I should have transplanted it when I could.

It is wonderful to see you post Hats - as Babi points out the changes - there was fruit basket upside down - well thank goodness there were those who hung on and worked hard to make this a bookie site that satisfies.

JoanR - and so TWO trees - how much fun - sounds like the decorating talent of your DH was a surprise - amazing how we continue to try new things and enjoy ourselves in the process. If this is a first for him, I can see him now proudly showing everyone that comes through the door while you quietly shake your head over the fuss. Nice to know that someone is pushing past a humbug attitude toward the holidays.

I noticed last night on my way to dinner with friends that almost half the houses in this area were decorated with lights - trees wrapped, porches framed, whole houses framed, large balloon Snowmen, life size nativities on lawns and I saw one house where they had  covered with tiny white lights an entire Live Oak - these are huge trees - all those tiny bulbs brightens with enough light to read a book. All this was reminiscent of the 1990s that has been missing since 9/11.

Steph are you talking about the stripped candy that wound back and forth looking like one bow on top of the next? I have seen it in pictures but I just do not think I have ever seen it in real life and here you know it well enough to remark about the thickness of the candy - reminds me of when I was a child we had an Aunt who never had children and doted on us at every holiday - every year when school let out for summer there was delivered a box of sugared fruit-peel twists - where she found them I have no clue because I only have a memory of the softness and taste - I never learned what store delivered them nor was I ever able to duplicate the taste in my kitchen.

Oh dear that brings  up for me so many memories and memories of other dishes my mother prepared that I never learned how she did it and I never thought to ask her - one of my favorites being her Ox Tail Soup. How she thickened it, I cannot figure. OH oh enough,  if I am going to get anything done today, I cannot go down memory lane - Toodles for now...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2010, 01:54:05 PM »
Hats, it is so good to see you here.  I do hope you'll stay.  Your name pops up on my computer every so often -- we both  have att internet service, and sometimes I'll see under the contacts list is the mail area that "Hats is online and busy."  I've thought of you so often.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2010, 02:07:14 PM »
Here's some fun, if you're in a singing mood

David Pogue's Songfest

And Bellemere, Pogue also has on the NYT a short video about color Nooks.  You should see it on the same page.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2010, 04:21:16 PM »
Addicted to the Web is a riot - thanks...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

nlhome

« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2010, 07:23:46 PM »
I add my welcome to Hats.

Joan P, I'm in southern Wisconsin. It's not snowing today, but we have winter storm watch for tomorrow, with freezing rain starting tonight, snow after noon tomorrow and then very very low temperatures and wind chills for Sunday and Monday. Winter.

So our shopping trip will be delayed a week, and instead we will clean house and decorate and wrap what few gifts we have bought already.

Gumtree

« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2010, 11:21:59 PM »
Hats:D  I can't believe it's really you!  How've you been?  What are you reading?  It's so great to 'see' you  :D  :D  :D
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Steph

« Reply #133 on: December 11, 2010, 06:30:33 AM »
Yes ribbon candy is just that. It looks like a ribbon. Very high flavor of peppermints and cinnamon and cloves, etc. Used to be thin as it could be and it would crunch in your mouth and fall to pieces. My Mother loved it and then I did too. Both of my sons adore it, but now it is made thick and with little taste. Different company. Ah well.
My son, dil and I are off today to Universal to see Harry Potter. We are all excited ( well at least the women are)

rosemarykaye

« Reply #134 on: December 11, 2010, 08:34:22 AM »
Steph, let us know what you thought of it -I went to see it last night with Madeleine.  She is 12 and has read all the books, and she thought it was fantastic.  I have not read this far into the series and I was not so impressed.  I won't say anything else until you've seen it!

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #135 on: December 11, 2010, 08:45:16 AM »
 Ah, it's Saturday morning and I finally had to time to read Pearl Buck's
Christmas story.  What a warm, lovely way to start my day!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #136 on: December 11, 2010, 10:42:17 AM »

I know exactly what you're talking about, Steph!  The ribbon candy nowadays is so thick and doesn't taste the same.  I saw it in the Vermont Country Store catalogue - they claim it is made from a 100 year old recipe - very expensive though, 22.95 a pound...and then there's the shipping - Vermont Country Store

Here's an idea - a recipe to make your own - I bet you could make it as thin/thick as you like! :D

nlhome - we had "snow" here in Arlington, VA yesterday.  For about ten minutes.  I caught some flakes on my tongue.  No accumulation though - does that count?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #137 on: December 11, 2010, 11:00:33 AM »
Rosemary, my granddaughter read the 6 Harry Potter books and can't wait to see the new movie just released.  She's 9.  I wonder why it's rated PG13...

Babi - didn't Pearl Buck's story take you back to gift-giving when you were young.  There were five of us - we managed to put enough of our small allowances aside to buy my father something in Harris Men's Shop - but that didn't leave much for gifts for one another.  Somehow we managed to find small gifts - in the five and ten.  I'll never forget the one Christmas I was in 5th grade.  There was a new girl in our school - from Greece. Cathy Pappas.   Very shy, no friends.  I tried to be nice to her - I guess that's why she asked me if I wanted to exchange gifts with her.  Without thinking I agreed - but oh what to do with those two dollars that had to cover my sister and three brothers' gifts...and now hers?  There was nothing really suitable.  I ended up selecting a book of paper dolls - imagine that!  I still blush to think of it.  Paper dolls!  They were fashion dolls though - I remember evening gowns, but still...
What was worse, she gave me three embroidered hankies, nicely wrapped.  And then, the look on her face when she opened my poor gift.  After that, she no longer looked for me at lunch time...

We'll need another story for the coming week - hopefully, they won't trigger any more embarrassing memories like mine...  Do you have a suggestion?

My son is flying in from London today - will land this afternoon.  Bruce says you'd think visiting royalty was coming.  He'll stay "home" until Jan. 4.  Can't wait!
Where's my apron!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #138 on: December 11, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
Sounds like a fun outing Steph - I miss the midnight parties with all the children picking up their copy of the latest Harry Potter book. For that last book I noticed many in costume were already College age - and I loved watching  how some youngsters as soon as the book was in their hands they sat on stairs, floor, outside the building leaning up against it to start their read -

Here is a fabulous youtube of Harry Potter at Christmas - such a magical bit they assembled -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kagXP2e8pyM

Another warm day -  yesterday it hit the high 70s and everyone was in shirt sleeves - smiling at the children walking home after school with their jackets slung over their shoulder and the little ones trailing them behind of course sweeping up the sidewalk as they go.

Today may be a tad less warm - I am glad since it is easier to get things accomplished with the doors and windows open and the sun shining -  full day - I'm planning on driving over to my son's in Magnolia on Monday - Since I leave for my daughter's next weekend I won't see them so I want to wrap and bring with me their Christmas. Plus the company will be good - this is the week they find out if Paul's back has healed well enough so that he can get back to work.

Thought I had a jar of Marichino cherries in the frig - looks like anther trip to the grocery - need to make his favorite this time of year -  Pinapple upside down cake - and I think some Pecan tarts for Sally.  Hmmm I ought to make a slew of tarts and bring them down for the staff at the doctor's office as a small thank you.  OK my day is cut out for me - hope y'all's day is full and satisfying.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2010, 11:41:05 AM »
Whoops missed the other posts - a recipe for the ribbon candy - how wonderful - I must try it - I may wait and try it when I am at my daughter's - her Cade is the youngest of the grands and often gets lost in the shuffle with all the other boys in college now - he is 16 and loves to cook with me when I visit - I had thought of a taffy pull - the addition of home made ribbon candy would be fun -

I can feel your excitement over the miles Joan - what a treat to have any of our children with us for a spell. And royalty they are in our hearts aren't they...   :) :-*

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #140 on: December 11, 2010, 04:55:41 PM »
Hello everyone!  
So glad to see old friends like Kiwi and BarbStAubrey.  But then we are all old friends, aren't we?  How much I appreciate having met all of you special folks.  

Ralph and I have been very ill but seem to be finally walking the well road for now.

I saw the Ribbon Candy mentioned and wondered if anyone here has enjoyed reall butter handmade candy canes? We truly miss getting ours each year as the store that used to have them has quit making them.  So sad!

I will leave a recipe later in the week.  Its just so happy to see and speak with all of you.
[/color]
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

rosemarykaye

« Reply #141 on: December 11, 2010, 05:39:16 PM »
JoanP - without wishing to give too much away, I think that the new H Potter film should certainly be rated a 13 (or as it is here a 12).  A lot of very unpleasant things happen in it, and some themes come out which are really quite scary - although my daughter, aged 12, had no problem with them at all (and she did understand them, they didn't just pass her by), so maybe it's just me being an old fuddy duddy.

Have a great time with your son.  Mine doesn't arrive back till 24th.

Rosemary

kiwilady

« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2010, 07:38:57 PM »
AdoAnnie how lovely to see you! I am so sorry you and Ralph have been so ill. Getting old aint for the faint hearted is it? PJ was saying this a few weeks ago on Facebook.

I didn't get to the library today as Nicky the girls and I went clothes shopping. We patronise a recycle clothing shop which has designer clothes as well as the usual mass produced variety. Its a fraction of the cost of new and some clothing is new. People get given gifts that don't fit and were bought overseas so they can't return them.

I bought one pair of long shorts with pockets for dog walking and two designer sports singlets for walking too. I wanted white ones as they reflect heat. I need pockets in my shorts for the cellphone, MP3 player and obligatory doggie poop bag.

Nicky is taking back the Ken Follet book as its due tomorrow (She is a librarian) I could not get into it as it was not nearly as well written in my opinion as his other novels. Did he get too ambitious with this tome? I wonder? I read about half of it and it just did not sustain my interest.

Brooke and I are going to one of the smaller branch libraries tomorrow to try and find books. We have pretty much read all we want to read at the Central library.

Carolyn

salan

« Reply #143 on: December 11, 2010, 07:39:06 PM »
Barb, yes please travel my way!  If we have a good wildflower season, we could drive around the country roads, feasting our eyes on the wildflowers. 

Ginny, the whole coconut--my father would puncture one of the eyes, drain and save the "milk" and then take a hammer and break the coconut open.  We would eat chunks of fresh coconut and the rest would be grated to into cakes, pies, or ambroisia.  I don't even like the taste of coco. that much; but I was fascinated by the process.

I was an avid reader, and always received the latest Nancy Drew mystery/mysteries.  Eventually, I had the whole collection.  When I got older,  I gave them all to my niece when she started reading them.  I need to ask her if she still has them.  I also loved The Bobbsey Twins series.

Until later,
Sally

Janice

« Reply #144 on: December 11, 2010, 10:02:06 PM »
I recently found a Bobsey Twin Book at our local thrift store and you would have thought I found gold.  I so enjoyed them when I was much younger.
Thank you for the ribbon candy recipe, we have always loved the really thin ribbon candy and it was part of our Christmas...along with the hard picture candy and the candy chicken bones of course.
We are in the throws of our first blizzard...high winds, 0 temperature, but it's nice and warm here as I read these posts.  Oh to be where it's 70 degrees and I can drag my coat behind me as I walk along.

kiwilady

« Reply #145 on: December 11, 2010, 10:35:52 PM »
My mother found Milly Molly Mandy in a thrift shop in perfect condition. She gave it to my granddaughters and I had great fun reading it when I was caring for the kids one day. They love it too.

My mother read Milly Molly Mandy when she was a little girl.

Carolyn

Gumtree

« Reply #146 on: December 11, 2010, 11:00:35 PM »
So did I - read Milly Molly Mandy. Haven't thought of that for years...
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

kiwilady

« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2010, 12:42:02 AM »
Milly Molly Mandy has lessons that could be well used today.

The importance of the extended family. Grandma Grandpa and Uncle and Auntie her parents and herself all live in the same country house.

How to be happy despite not being wealthy.

Learning to accept others for their differences.

Kindness to animals.

Unselfishness.

Could go on and on!

Carolyn

rosemarykaye

« Reply #148 on: December 12, 2010, 02:39:59 AM »
Oh I loved Milly Molly Mandy as a child - my mother also read them to me.  I sometimes call my youngest Milly Molly Mandy - she looks at me in despair  :)

I also loved My Naughty Little Sister - did anyone else read her?  The books were by Dorothy Edwards, and the illustrations were by Shirley Hughes - some of her first work.  She went on to write the wonderful, wonderful Alfie and Annie Rose stories (amongst others), which I used to read to my children.  They are lovely peaceful books, again with an emphasis on kindness and family, but also very accurate indeed in their portrayal of a "terrible two", ie Annie Rose, with whom Alfie deals very philosophically.  Their lives revolve around their home, Alfie's nursery school, and the neighbours - Mrs Cocoa Jones and Maureen- and tradesmen - the window cleaner, the milkman - and the things that happen are the things that matter to a pre-school child; Alfie manages to lock himself inside the house, there is a burst pipe when the babysitter is looking after them, they go on a trip to the seaside and Alfie loses his favourite possession - and so it goes on.  I still have the books and I recommend them to all of you who are lucky enough to have grandchildren.  I wanted to call one of my daughters Annie Rose, but my husband wouldn't let me  :)

And did anyone read the Mary Plain books?

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2010, 06:37:54 AM »
 Oh me.. First I saw the latest Harry Potter movie a few weeks ago and it is dark indeed. Be careful with anyone under maybe 12.. No school, No owl, No quidditch. This is the genuine quest part of the story. Good but dark.
Second I live in central Florida and my birthday present for my son, wife and me..We all have December birthdays was a trip to Harry Potter at Universal. We had such fun.. I now own a wand ( Dumbledores) and Susan a muffler.. Tiring, but a lovely day.Grown children can be such fun.. They worry a bit about me, so I got mothered on stairs, The actual castle ride is a bit wild..But I managed,, just had to sit a bit after getting off.. Still wonderful.. Loved the utube.. Make the candy..Hmm.. Maybe

Babi

« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2010, 08:54:12 AM »
  JOAN, you remind me of a very unusual gift that my younger daughter once gave her Dad. She was married at the time, had no money. With considerable anxiety, she put some tissue paper in a small box with a note. It said the box was filled with love. Of course, he said he loved it but she was ashamed and embarrassed.
 Then years later, she learned that whenever he went on a trip, he packed her box and took it with him.  That meant so much she broke down and cried. I was so grateful for that blessing and it is one of my most poignant memories.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2010, 09:58:11 AM »
What lovely and beautiful  memories here this morning! I'm reading Louise Penny's A Fatal Grace, which is a Christmas Mystery like no other I have ever read, and I've really read some.

And oh my word, the Bobbsey Twins! I read every  Bobbsey Twin, Nancy Drew, and Cherry Ames, Student Nurse there was. I was lucky in that our neighbor, who had three girls,   had an entire attic full of them, and I read them all.  I just managed last  year to get a copy of one of the Bonita Granvilles, which I just loved. She had been an actress and somebody wrote a small series on her, sort of like a Nancy Drew using her own name, solving mysteries as I vaguely remember it, but I LOVED them! The copy  I got is really one you'd need gloves to even handle but OH nostalgia!  I think her husband bankrolled the venture, there weren't many of them.

Of course my all time favorite is The Christmas Crimes at Puzzel Manor, by Simon Brett in which (puzzel in the title  is spelled correctly) you've got the requisite grand  house, guests stranded by a snowstorm at Christmas but you also have a puzzle important to the plot at the end of each chapter for the characters AND the reader to solve. They are all kinds of puzzles and the author does not solve the last one. At all.  It's the perfect book to read with a friend, especially if you can't solve the last  one. It's also  one of a kind.

Yesterday here was somewhat magic. My oldest son brought my 4 year old grandson John to the farm, along with yet another live wreath for the centerpiece on the table  from my daughter in law, who had already made two made of greens cut here  for my parents's graves at the cemetery, she's very talented and obviously very generous. That meant a lot to me.

It was a wonderful day here, J and I brought down Christmas from the barn and hung some decorations on the doors,  and  in  the process of a day spent enjoying many things on the farm, they did our annual Christmas tree. John had picked it out before, they cut it down, together,  brought it back down to the barn with many choruses of O Christmas Tree by John, trimmed it up (it's cedar) put it up, with the lights and put the train  around it. We piled in the truck  and saw local Christmas lights (more singing from all) and then J ran the train ("his" train now) around the tree. More singing on the "pino," (piano)  as he calls  it. Nothing like a child to put the wonder back in Christmas.  A magic day all around.  Like something in a book, really, a lovely memory.

Strangely enough, reading Penny's A Fatal Grace, which is about as opposite to the above experience as you can get, made me appreciate it even more. It's that kind of book, outspoken 80 and 90 year olds, some  shocking things said, so brace selves, but there's a strong theme of  underlying goodness...no wonder she has won so many awards. I recommend it, (not for the easily offended), it's not a "cozy."  Or IS it? Cozy with an edge, perhaps?  
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2010, 03:00:51 PM »
I looked everywhere on the net and didn't find my recipe so I am copying it here.  It is the best and most popular bar in our holiday celebrations.

Chocolate Creme De Menthe Bars

Heat oven to 350 degrees

1st layer:

1 cup of sugar
1/2 C. Butter(salted)
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup of flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1-16oz can Hershey's chocolate syrup

Mix together and pour into an 11X15 greased pan.  (I use a jelly roll pas as I don't like the thickness of the brownies using the 11X15 pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
Cool completely and refrigerate for 30 minutes

@nd layer:

Mix 2 cups of powdered sugar with
5 or 6 tblsp. of Creme de Menthe (if not green, you can add food coloring)
Spread on cake and return to fridge until partially set until partially set and then add glaze.

Glaze:

6 oz. chocolate chips melted with
6 tblsp of butter

Spread over cake and chill for 1 hour.
After allowing to sit out for 1/2 hour, cut into 2" squares  (I cut into smaller pieces, 1",
because these are so rich.

Store in refrigerator for serving over the holidays.

These can be divided for gifts and saved in the freezer before giving.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

nlhome

« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2010, 03:48:51 PM »
Somewhere my last message must be in cyberspace. Anyway, Joan P, we did have a lot of snow down here, notjust 10 minutes worth, and not as much as Minnesota - the Metrodome collapsed there.

Lots of memories in this discussion. The Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, Ginny Gordon - all from my childhood. Also eating coconuts - it was about as exotic a treat as we got in central Wisconsin back then.

I learned that my daughter is coming home earlier than expected, so suddenly I am finishing cards and wrapping gifts so that I can enjoy her visit and maybe she'll share in the baking.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #154 on: December 12, 2010, 04:20:51 PM »
Ginny your day with family sounded like a picture Christmas card - I can only imagine the glow will stay with you for a few days.

nlhome today it is cold here however we may never come anywhere close to your winter weather experience - I heard on the news the dome for the Vikings' football stadium crashed in with the weight of the snow – How long does it take before you can use the roads?

We received the furthest edge of the cold - the temps plummeted and still have not reached 50 degrees - we are expecting a freeze tonight but for only one night and so I will not attempt to cover things - the faucets are wrapped but I do need to bring in the two hose reels.

Kiwi I wonder - I know it is summer in New Zealand however, it is far enough south that I am imagining the weather to be more like a summer in the northern states of the US. I bet you do not have Christmas around a swimming pool like some from Australia who post on Senior Learn. For Christmas, is it jacket weather or Tshirt weather?

Babi what a precious memory you shared - thank you - it was a touching story.

Steph a wand - huh  8)  ;)

And Yes, Salan - we must take a 'Bluebonnet' trip...

Aewww Ann the Chocolate Crème De Menthe Bars sound fabulous.

All you Milly Molly Mandy readers - oh my - I too gobbled up the Bobbsey Twins along with the Mary Poppins series - Mary  Poppins Open the Door and Mary Poppins Comes Back.  

I was sick in bed a lot as a kid - no anti-biotics in those days - Mom read mostly in the afternoons books like Robinson Caruso, Gulliver’s Travels, Black Beauty and Hans Brinker - Mom also read Little Women that I hated - Jo was the only one with spunk and even she was to tame for me. When I found the Leather Stocking Tales I immediately identified with Hawkeye - Earlier, in the third grade I fell in love with Kate Seredy's books - The Good Master, The Singing Tree and White Stag.

My most favorite two books - in the Fifth grade my Grandmother gave me her copy telling me – “this is a real German” - She was so upset with the stories of WWII Germany - and Count von Luckner the Sea Devil was a sort of hero from WWI that was to help me understand the chivalry that existed during war in the Germany she knew - Yes, the book  was special because it came from a favorite grandmother but in addition, it was an exciting adventure as Count Luckner propelled his Submarine all over the oceans at times purposely breaking communications with the German hierarchy.

And then the second favorite - in the sixth grade I read The Story of Nathaniel Bowditch - this is the book I still give as a gift although, another version that has since been published for children. A remarkable young boy, a whiz with numbers, who because of the death of his mother and a farm loosing income during the 1790s, was indentured at the age of nine. On his own, he learned languages by translating using the bible as his base - I loved his ingenious approach to a life that was built on discovery. As late as the 1980s, his navigation books were still basic text used at the Navel Academy  

My daughter, born during the 1950s had a host of books available - I remember reading when she was very young several from the Honey Bunch series and Pooh - Oh and Wind in the Willows, Charlotte's Web, Mark Twain and Robert Lewis Stevenson. On and on –

Children's story are still for me a favorite way to enjoy an evening. Watched last night my DVD of Wind in the Willows - the one with Vanessa Redgrave on the riverboat with some children. I now have the whole series of books by William Horwood who got permission from the Grahame family to continue the series being faithful to the characters. I must pull down The Willows at Christmas Perfect read for tonight.

Ah, books – Like many of us on this site – as children, some of our friends were characters in a book. A great bit of reminiscing – thanks!

nlhome

« Reply #155 on: December 12, 2010, 07:17:19 PM »
Barb, roads get opened quickly around here. There is still a lot of drifting, especially on the smaller roads,  but the plows are active. The Interstate up in the West Central part of the state was closed last night, but I'm assuming it's open. People are traveling - just not so fast. We didn't have anywhere to go, luckily.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2010, 09:17:51 PM »
Interesting your roads are ready for driving quickly after a large snowstorm and that is what must be expected by those who live in areas were there is the risk of severe winter weather which explains the snafu that Rosemary was addressing last week - it looks like Scotland did not enjoy a typical response to their snow storm - this BBC news article goes on to explain that there was a resignation with a new Minister named as a result of how the affects of the storm on transportation were handled.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11978544

Last year there were a couple of snow storms while I visited my Daughter in the mountains of North Carolina - I visited for nearly 4 weeks and it didn't compute when the snow was falling so out the window looked scene from the movie 'White Christmas' that the snow stays - it stays, and stays, and stays - I thought OK a couple of days but it stayed the entire time I visited - I've become so used to our snowfalls - Every 5 years or so we get a snow fall - most often the snow is gone by 10: in the morning - a few times there was enough snow and cold temps that the snow stayed a day or two.

kiwilady

« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2010, 11:48:54 PM »
Kiwi Christmas in Auckland

Yep we do have swimming on Christmas day. Some of us even pack our Christmas dinner into hampers and head for the Beach. ( did that many a time) My grands will be swimming on Christmas day if this humidity keeps up.

Auckland is warm and humid. Very humid today. The lower part of the North Island and Lower Parts of the South Island can be quite a lot cooler. Dunedin and Wellington can be cool.  Wellington had a horrible summer last year. My best friend went to her brothers beach house near Wellington and they had a fire lit for part of the holiday last year. Where I live it can be raining and stinking hot at the same time. Not many older houses have air con but all the new ones do. My son has just put heat/cold pumps in the two new rental houses he has just built.

Next week I had better pick up all the Candy canes and chocolates for Christmas day. I usually take these things to the family gathering.

Carolyn

Steph

« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2010, 06:29:30 AM »
Beggars
Put in bowl.. 2 cups flour, 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.. Set aside.
Another bowl.. 1/2 cup brown sugar and another 1/2 cup white sugar,, then add 1/2 cup shortening ( either a crisco type or butter if you want, not oil) Creaming together and then adding 2 eggs, one at a time and 1 teaspoon vanilla.Beat until fluffy.
Then add the dry ingredients alternately with 3/4 cup milk.. Blend thoroughly..Then the fun.
Add in one bottle of maraschino cherries halved, 1 cup of nuts,, ( I tend to mix them up), 1 bag of chocolate chips ( any type, semi sweet, or the flavored or even the milk chocolate), , maybe  a handful of raisins or dates.. Mix thoroughly. Pour into a 15x10x1 jelly rolll pan. well greased and floured..
Bake at 325 for about 25-30 minutes until golden brown.. When cool, make frosting.. Brown 1/2 cup butter over medium heat until deep brown.
Remove from heat. Blend in roughly 4 cupos of powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla( sometimes almond or peppermint works too), then add up to 2 tablespoons mik.. Beat until smooth.. Frost them and then cut into bars or squares. Very rich indeed. But my families favorite cookie.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2010, 09:21:40 AM »
Isn’t this the best  holiday discussion ever?  I am literally blown away whenever I come in and read your posts.  Babi,  your poignant memory of your daughter’s gift to her dad is one that I will never forget!  Thank you for sharing it with us. 
 Ginny’s Christmas celebration at the grape “ranch”  is always a Christmas card!  Is it possible to bring a photo here, Ginny?

Beggars are here!    So glad you were able to find and share the recipe, Steph!  Do you use dark or light brown sugar – or does it matter?  I want to replicate your old family favorite!

And Annie, recovering – the best news!  We’ll add the recipe for the crème de Menthe bars to the cookbook today.  Thank you!  Has anyone tried the recipe for ribbon candy yet?  Don’t want to include it until  it’s been tried by at least one of us.  I’ll be babysitting tomorrow evening with two of the grand kids.  Not sure if their  mother will be pleased with grandma making candy right before they go home to dinner though…

Snow!  Do you hear those sleigh bells? 
  A little accumulation in the nation’s capitol too...  Son#4 made it home from London on Saturday and is off to work in DC this morning – in snow!  The first of the season.  Magical, as Frosty ways.  NLhome – tell  where you live again?  So much early snow all over the country this week! 

I'm reminded of “White Christmas”   and Bing Crosby.   He WAS Father Christmas when we were kids.  I’m sure you remember this - Bing Crosby - White Christmas   (That’s Rosemary Clooney singing with him..

Barbara, I love the scene you brought from Harry Potter - with  The Carol of the Bells with the Vienna Boys Choir