Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2  (Read 742832 times)

Frybabe

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2
« Reply #640 on: May 30, 2010, 08:11:10 AM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

Oh, do re-join us in Latin Steph. It is such fun. After a year off, I hope to be back this fall too.

mrssherlock

« Reply #641 on: May 30, 2010, 12:20:29 PM »
I'm thinking of returning to Latin as well, though my history is dreadful.  The very first assignment I read and thought, surely we aren't to translate this word for word, so I carefully submitted the sense instead.  Too embarrassed to try again, I slunk into the closet and hid.  Maybe I can come out now?
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #642 on: May 31, 2010, 05:47:51 AM »
Jackie, I suspect that you and I can be soulmates. I am with you on the latin.. But I am sitting on the fence just now trying to decide.
I am reading a Jody Picoult.. This one is The Pact and I think it is one of the older ones. I can only read her once in a while. Several of her book infuriated me.. but others come through with a little gong of belief.. She writes well.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

marjifay

« Reply #643 on: June 01, 2010, 03:38:44 AM »
Has anyoe read THE LITTLE STRANGER by Sarah Waters?  It was my favorite book read this month, the first I've read by her.  It's a very well written ghost/haunted house story, about a family living in a crumbling great mansion in the English countryside, which house seems to be alive. Or is it?  It provoked a lot of fascinating discussion in the Constant Reader book group.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #644 on: June 01, 2010, 06:04:30 AM »
Finished the Pact. Not a believable ending, but then not a believable couple either.. She was nuts and somehow hid it from everyone.. I dont think so.. Not the type of nuts she is describing.

serenesheila

« Reply #645 on: June 02, 2010, 03:34:06 PM »
I really enjoy Jodi Picoult.  Right now I am in the middle of "Handle With Care".  The first novel of hers that I read was "The Pact".  She really makes me think.  Her book that I am reading now has me riveted.  It is about a couple whose child is born with a serious disability.  Her mother learns that her obstitrition missed the disability on her first sonogram.  The mother, and the doctor are best friends.  Then, the mother learns that she has a malpractice lawsuit, and files for wrongful birth. 

I don't want to put the book down.  What would I do, if I were the mother?  How would I respond if I was the dr. and learned that my best friend filed a lawsuit against me?

Sheila

Steph

« Reply #646 on: June 03, 2010, 05:56:48 AM »
I can only read Picoult maybe once a year. She writes topical, but I am never too thrilled with her conclusions.
Tried reading The ARt of Racing in the Rain, but stopped.. I cannot really even handle the death of a dog , or human.. Nice book though. I will put it away for when I am not quite so tender.

Steph

« Reply #647 on: June 04, 2010, 05:46:38 AM »
Just started South of Broad and love it.. He sucks you in so quickly..

salan

« Reply #648 on: June 05, 2010, 07:12:00 AM »
Here are some books that I recently read and enjoyed:  The Help by Stockett, Whiter than Snow by Sandra Dallas, The Four Seasons by Mary Alice Monroe,  The Forgotten Garden by Sarah Addison Allen, and South of Broad by Pat Conroy.  Have any of you read these and what did you think?  What books have you enjoyed this past year?

I just checked out The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen, and The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls.  I have'nt started reading them yet.  I must quit checking out library books so that I can get to my piles and piles of tbr books that just keep growing.  I always feel that I must read library books first as they have to be turned in.  Consequently, my tbr books have been neglected.

Sally

Babi

« Reply #649 on: June 05, 2010, 08:22:46 AM »
  I know a number of us read "The Help", SALLY, and enjoyed it very much.  I haven't read any
of the others.
  The thing to do about your tbr  books is to plan your outings to avoid the library.  You know if
you go in you're going to pick up something.  Return books to the book bin or slot; going inside is dangerous.   ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #650 on: June 05, 2010, 12:11:43 PM »
Sally: I've read the first two and added the next two to my library reserve list.  there is a series about five women who became buddies when they were in high school and have met every month for lunch since then.  Great fun, they are engaging and their lives and history are recounted as the story unfolds.  the first one is The Red Hat Club and the author is Haywood Smith.  I've read all the Red Hat books, nice, light reading, a perfect change of pace.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #651 on: June 05, 2010, 12:59:33 PM »
BookTV today is talking about the state of books today - lots of panel discussions.  At 4 p.m. EDT will be something on e-books.  Following that, someone will be talking with Pat Conroy.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #652 on: June 06, 2010, 05:48:32 AM »
Sally.. The Glass Wall is a good good book, hard to read, but excellent. She really was raised by wolves.. Some people should not have children.
Still forging ahead on South Of Broad. I do like it very much.

serenesheila

« Reply #653 on: June 07, 2010, 10:47:37 AM »
Well, I watched quite a bit of BookTV on CSpan over the weekend.  I particularly enjoyed the interview with Pat Conroy.  As soon as I finish one of the three books I am now reading, I will begin reading "South of Broad".  Thanks for your comments about it,  Steph.

Sheila

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #654 on: June 07, 2010, 11:06:06 AM »
Sheila, I hope you love it as much as we did.  I'm ready to go back and reread The Great Santini and The Lords of Discipline.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Frybabe

« Reply #655 on: June 07, 2010, 01:06:31 PM »
I also liked the Conroy interview, Sheila. I've never read any of his books. About time I looked into that. He seems a rather fun guy to know.

mabel1015j

« Reply #656 on: June 07, 2010, 01:26:59 PM »
Just saw an ad for The Confessions of Catherine de Medici, a novel written as her "side" of mythology of her life. The author is also bringing out a series on Elizabeth the First and the Tudors. Sounds interesting.

http://www.cwgortner.com/Confessions.html

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #657 on: June 07, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »
Frybabe, Conroy's books are free-standing - different characters, etc.  But, having said that, they are (to some extent) autobiographical, so it might be best to read them in chronological order.

Steph

« Reply #658 on: June 08, 2010, 05:54:52 AM »
De Medici.. Hmm. Will have to look for that. She has always been a woman who fascinated me.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #659 on: June 08, 2010, 05:41:07 PM »
The Catherine de Medici book does sound interesting. And it's interesting to me that it's written by a male. I usually associate books about female royalty with women.

Steph

« Reply #660 on: June 09, 2010, 05:41:05 AM »
I am reading a Lorna Landevik books just now. Something about Mount Joy.. Interesting and a bit more substantantial than most of her books. I am enjoying it.. Surprisingly for her, the speaker is a man..

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #661 on: June 09, 2010, 08:36:15 AM »
That name, Lorna L, rings a bell, Steph.  I think I brought one of her's home from my daughter's one year, but it's been a while.  Have't read it, don't remember the title.  Now will have to look for it.

Tomereader1

« Reply #662 on: June 09, 2010, 10:28:40 AM »
Lorna Landvik??
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

salan

« Reply #663 on: June 09, 2010, 03:17:08 PM »
Steph, I've read almost all of Landvik's novels.  Some were really good and some were just okay.  Can't remember what ones, though.  I just know that I enjoyed most of them.
Sally

Aberlaine

« Reply #664 on: June 09, 2010, 03:30:47 PM »
I have just finished listening to The Help.  I've send a copy to my daughter for her birthday.  It's the best book I've read this year.  I highly recommend it.

I'm now reading The Last Lecture for my f2f book group and will start The Other Boleyn Girl as soon as I'm finished.

Nancy

MaryPage

« Reply #665 on: June 09, 2010, 03:51:35 PM »
I loved The Other Boleyn Girl, both the book and the movie.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #666 on: June 09, 2010, 08:12:22 PM »
Due to my connection with Simon&Shuster and their author of "Moses-America's Prophet" they send me notices every once in awhile of new books.  This one looks pretty good so I am leavingyou all a link.
http://books.simonandschuster.com/Her-Fearful-Symmetry/Audrey-Niffenegger/9781439169018/?mcd=enmu100610&cp_type=enmu&md=epb&cp_date=100610&custd=351522
Aberlaine,
My daughter highly recommended "The Help" and she doesn't read that much.  So I have it reserved at my library.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

mabel1015j

« Reply #667 on: June 09, 2010, 09:39:22 PM »
I read Landvik's "Angry Housewives Eat Bon-bons" - funny, well-written, i liked it...............our f2f group is discussing The Help on Sunday. Someone recommended The Three Weissmanns of WEstport. I just happened to get it when someone returned it to the library yesterday. It's a "new book," they have sev'l copies, so there was no "hold" on this copy. I started it and am enjoying it, altho having been married for 43 yrs, it could be a little scary - husband leaves wife after 48 yrs of marriage!!! ..............jean

mrssherlock

« Reply #668 on: June 09, 2010, 09:42:36 PM »
Audrey Niffenegger's books are unique but I've enjoyed them.  Time Traveler's Wife was more engrossing probably because I am a fan of SF,  but her talent produces extremely good books IMO.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #669 on: June 10, 2010, 05:47:32 AM »
I finished the Mount Joy and enjoyed it. I think I have read all of Landvik's books.. She writes of midwestern communities and with such love.
I still have both The Help and the Three Weismanns on my to be read list. I will get to them.
I have a new Spellman and think I will read that one next.

Tomereader1

« Reply #670 on: June 10, 2010, 11:15:46 AM »
"Her Fearful Symmetry" is very good, but like TTW, it gets kind of strange.  Loved the parts about the "cemetary", (and did you catch the play on words?)  This is another of those "some folks liked/loved it; some folks hated it" type books.  Personally, I enjoyed the story.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #671 on: June 11, 2010, 05:48:39 AM »
Have not opened the Spellman book.. Realized I needed to at least try to catch up on several magazines. Hmm..

Babi

« Reply #672 on: June 11, 2010, 08:53:12 AM »
 I only read one magazine these days, and it was a gift subscription.
My friend knows me well, I think.  It it the "Smithsonian" and it always
has articles that interest me.  Makes for good bedtime reading when my
regular books are heavy hardbooks.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #673 on: June 11, 2010, 01:19:07 PM »
Babi:  count me among the fams of Smithsonian.  Never a dull page.  And I love the ads in the back.
Jackie

Tomereader1

« Reply #674 on: June 11, 2010, 09:04:12 PM »
Did this group happen to read "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver?  And if so, did you do a discussion w/questions on it?

André Maurois

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #675 on: June 11, 2010, 09:18:10 PM »
The Poisonwood Bible was discussed. The archive of the discussion is at http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/archives/fiction/PoisonwoodBible.htm

I don't know if there were questions for that discussion. Maybe Ginny would remember.

I found some questions for that book at http://www.readinggroupguides.com/guides_P/poisonwood_bible1.asp

Steph

« Reply #676 on: June 12, 2010, 06:03:00 AM »
KIngsolver is one of those authors I gave up on. I used to love her stuff, but she got more and more intricate..Off my list.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #677 on: June 12, 2010, 08:50:47 AM »
Me,too, Steph (re Kingsolver).  Neither one of us could even get into Poisonwood Bible, much less finish it.

Steph

« Reply #678 on: June 13, 2010, 05:35:05 AM »
There are some authors that I started out reading and liked, but over the years, both they and I (hmm grammer lacking here) changed in different directions.
Just finished another Patricia Sprinkler. I think it was the first one in the southern series.. A bit too drawn out and obvious, but fun.

marjifay

« Reply #679 on: June 13, 2010, 06:41:04 AM »
Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible was a DNF for me.  Have often thought someday I'd read it again and finish it.....but I probably won't.  Too many interesting books to read.

I just finished MUDBOUND by Hilary Jordan.  Very interesting book. Good writer. Makes you realize what it must have been like living in  the deep South before the Civil Rights movement, when a black person had to ride in the back of a truck if you gave them a ride, even if it was raining, where a black could be hanged and no one did anything about it, and forget it if you were a black man and even looked sideways at a white woman.  Laura, an educated woman who thought she was destined to be an old maid teacher, is courted by a nice man and marries, but finds he wants to farm and they move to a 200 acre farm in the Mississippi Delta with his misogynist, racist father.  When her husband's brother and his black friend return after WW2, the trouble starts after they've been used to the way things were in Europe and find they have trouble living under the racist rules in Mississippi.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman