Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 870912 times)

salan

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #5320 on: July 02, 2013, 06:11:45 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

JoanK, I love Rhys Bowen.  I have read several in the Molly Murphy series.  Thank you for reminding me about this author---more books to put on my tbr list!
Sally

Steph

« Reply #5321 on: July 03, 2013, 07:31:32 AM »
Aha, you mention the laps and I remember reading the book and being totally bewildered by the laps a the end of each chapter. Now I cannot remember if they were ever explained.
I loved the J.D. Robb. fascinating premise.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Frybabe

« Reply #5322 on: July 03, 2013, 07:46:22 AM »
JoanK, thanks for reminding me about Rhys Bowen. She also wrote the Royal Spyness and the Constable Evans series. I bought Mom a Constable Evans book some time ago, but she had trouble, at that point, following multiple story lines. I never got around to reading it or any of the others. I am particularly interested in Constable Evans because of the Welsh setting.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5323 on: July 03, 2013, 09:56:50 AM »
Thanks, JoanK and Steph. I've finished the book and still don't see an explanation for the "Laps,"  but it was a fun read, and quite different. I enjoyed it.  As always, I failed to guess the real murderer, but I enjoyed learning about Pedestrianism, and I now find out there are ultramarathons today. Lots of them.   Not sure where I've been, but I'm glad to know about them.

On  reading further I found astounding facts on this (to me) little known sport. One man in the 1800's walked one  mile an hour for 1000 hours.  That's just unbelievable.

I'm going to try another Lovesy, had never heard of him,  and apparently this is the first of 8 in a series.

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #5324 on: July 03, 2013, 10:21:12 AM »
JoanK and Ginny, my library didn't have Wobble to Death, though it has a lot of other Peter Lovesy titles. I've read a few.  And today I needed to pad out my Amazon order for free shipping  -- valences for the bedroom, so the Lovesy was just perfect.  Good recommendations and a good price. (But that blows my book-buying resolution -- NOT TO)

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5325 on: July 03, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »
Me, too. It looks like he's done one on crew, if that's what you call rowing, which Ruth Rendell recommends,   and all kinds of interesting stuff with this Victorian detective, Cribb. They are very cheap (I guess because they are oid). I love the covers of the paperback 2008 reprints,  and look forward to reading another great one on a subject i know absolutely nothing about.

When you figure out what the "Laps" are, (and I know you will),  let us know! :)

What do you all think about Carol Higgins Clark? I read one of hers on my last trip and enjoyed it?

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5326 on: July 03, 2013, 03:00:08 PM »
I think I read one of hers but have no memory of it. That's not as negative as it sounds: my memory is getting really bad.

mabel1015j

« Reply #5327 on: July 03, 2013, 06:56:39 PM »
I've read most of CHC's books and like them a lot.

Jean

MaryPage

« Reply #5328 on: July 03, 2013, 08:58:35 PM »
Have read most, if not all, of Peter Lovesey's books.  I love him for a good yarn, but also because he is so very funny.  I can remember laughing out loud in some of his books.
I am really excited because I have found a new mystery writer whom I love.  Am just a ways into the first book of his, THE SNOWMAN by Jo Nesbo, and I am so enamoured I have this very day gone on line and ordered 4 more of his Inspector Harry Hole books from ThriftBooks.  I find they always have almost everything I am looking for, and el cheapo.

MaryPage

« Reply #5329 on: July 04, 2013, 08:49:56 AM »
Have a Glorious Celebration of this grand day for us all! 

Steph

« Reply #5330 on: July 04, 2013, 09:25:57 AM »
I love Peter. He is truly funny sometimes.. Not that big a fan of CHC.. I have read several of them, but they are sort of forgettable.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #5331 on: July 04, 2013, 09:51:52 AM »
MaryPage, I may have to give Jo Nesbo another try.  My daughter gave me his Nemisis a few years ago, but I just really couldn't get into it.  Guess I was tired of borderline alcoholic detectives with dicey love lifes.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #5332 on: July 04, 2013, 10:02:25 AM »
MaryPage,   Guess I was tired of borderline alcoholic detectives with dicey love lifes.
Amen, pedln. ;D

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5333 on: July 04, 2013, 05:52:09 PM »
They do seem to be popular, don't they. "The Snowman" sounds familiar. Where is it set?

And isn't it great that mystery writers can appeal to a wide variety of tastes.

Had a problem with my library last week that PatH has been complaining about for years with her library. I got a Rhys Bowen Royal Spyness book out and was looking forward to trying it. But it smelled so strongly of some perfume I'm allergic to that I couldn't read it. I think it's some bug spray or cleaner they used. I tried it again yesterday after a week, and it was better, but still not readable.

This is only the second time I've had that problem, but PatH says it happens to her all the time. We are both allergic to a number of cheap perfumes: they cause our throat to close up so that we have trouble breathing. 

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5334 on: July 04, 2013, 06:06:34 PM »
Not as bad now as when lots were smoking and the books stayed in their homes. I suppose could do what they tell us for bed bugs on books.  Just spray a little and put in MW for a second . ( not on high)

Tomereader1

« Reply #5335 on: July 04, 2013, 07:17:07 PM »
what is MW?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #5336 on: July 04, 2013, 07:17:51 PM »
Oh, I guess you mean "microwave"!  I was having a "moment"!  Won't the MW melt the glue that holds the pages?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5337 on: July 04, 2013, 10:45:02 PM »
Must not as it was the library that told me to do it on the problem with the bed bugs. It is just a second . MW heat is different from dry oven heat.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #5338 on: July 05, 2013, 05:04:17 AM »
When I was a child, there was a notice inside the books saying 'if this book has come into contact with anyone with an infectious disease, please notify the librarian' - I was always desperate to have reason to do this, so I was almost pleased to have had measles so that I could.  I have no idea what they then did with the book.

When my mother was a child she had scarlet fever and was taken to a sanatorium.  On leaving, her one and only doll was confiscated and destroyed.  She has never forgotten that.  I wonder if any of this ever did any real good - surely most infectious diseases (I know that is not what you were talking about above) are spread primarily in the air?

Rosemary

MaryPage

« Reply #5339 on: July 05, 2013, 08:20:16 AM »
The Snowman takes place in Oslo, Norway and is about a serial killer who calls himself The Snowman because he leaves one at each kill site.  The books are translations, which just amazes me because they are SO very well written.  I love a book that just carries you right along;  sort of like one of those rafting trips through the white water where you hang on for dear life and trust the pilot to get you through, in the meanwhile getting a kick out of where you are and what you are seeing.  This book is written by a man, not a woman, and is not a cozy.  It is quite bloody. 

Steph

« Reply #5340 on: July 05, 2013, 09:20:33 AM »
Rosemary,, I too wondered about contagious diseases and books, etc. I know that both of my sons had chicken pox. and the teacher sent home books and homework. and we returned the homework when they finished, so the teacher mustnot have worried.. Lepers used to not be able to even write to their families since the contagion was very high.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #5341 on: July 05, 2013, 04:26:49 PM »
That rule for lepers was totally unnecessary, since leprosy is actually not very contagious--needs prolonged close contact.

Jeanne--spray a little and microwave a second: spray with what?

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5342 on: July 05, 2013, 05:05:35 PM »
I suppose just any mild thing other than bleach is ok. Cold .  Now for years I have always kept a large bottle of hydrogen peroxide 3 percent  mix with half water on my kitchen sink. Safest .best .mildest  antiseptic there is. hurts nothing. Cleans great. I just spray sink all around were I have worked daily.  Done this since Ww2in UK? Get a cut on it goes.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #5343 on: July 05, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
That's an excellent idea.  It's totally safe, since it breaks down to water after it's sprayed.

Steph

« Reply #5344 on: July 06, 2013, 08:45:45 AM »
Hansons Disease ( leprosy) was once so feared.They isolated the people and never tried to reintroduce them to the general public. Now they understand it and all of the asylums as far as I know are gone.. It is not contagious, but way back noone believed that. I read a book many years ago written by someon who came to the asylum in Louisianaas a teen, married there and lived out her whole life.. Sad..but interesting.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5345 on: July 06, 2013, 12:43:43 PM »
I was thinking that the one in Louisanna still open as a hospital.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5346 on: July 06, 2013, 04:47:36 PM »
Read the first "Her Royal Spyness" mystery by Rhys Bowen and loved it. The protagonist is a minor Royal (34th in line for the throne) who is trying to escape from a life of hanging around cold castles waiting to marry a minor prince whom she cant stand. Unfortunately she is broke and not allowed to "work! heavens!" Of course she finds a body.

It's hilarious. Unfortunately, I bought the next in the series from kindle (A royal Pain) late at night and got another book by the same name by mistake. Didn't find out my mistake until I couldn't find it in my alphabetical by author list -- too late to return it. 9.99 off my book allowance.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5347 on: July 06, 2013, 05:31:25 PM »
I've got the Snowman, maybe I'll move it up to the top of the pile while waiting for the next Lovesy. The Royal Spyness sounds so cute, JoanK, I'll put it on my list too.

I've been seeing Bad Monkey around everywhere and I've seen everybody here talking about Hiassen but have never read one. I read some of the Bad Monkey online, in those preview things and liked it. I like the way he writes.

Which  of Hiassen would those of you who know him recommend for a first read of his? Which stands out for you? I  would rather read a paperback and the Monkey is not in paperback here.

(Too bad I'm not in London, that ability to put books in paperback when all we can get is hardback is amazing, and I love the editions.) I was just in Memphis and can attest that the Hudson (books and sundries in airports, not many books as junk) chain would suffer if WH Smith moved in.  In Heathrow  a couple of weeks ago there's a stand alone WH Smith with only books to complement the big WH Smith, with drinks, magazines, junk just across the way. It was full of people too.  Too bad nobody likes to read any more.

Steph

« Reply #5348 on: July 07, 2013, 09:38:02 AM »
Hiassen, I have read all of him except the new one. He is funny. Dive in anywhere, but for my favorite character,, you should start at the beginnin to see how an ex governor became the character in the swamp.. Hiassen also writes a column in Miami and that one is mostly serious, since Florida politics in many ways is the weirdest of all areas..

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5349 on: July 07, 2013, 10:07:30 AM »
Thank you! Do you know the name of the first one? Don't you wish it would quit raining? I don't know what to think because it's soo nice and cool for walking, and on the few days the sun does come out it's blistering.

Maybe since it's July I need to be thankful! :)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5350 on: July 07, 2013, 02:52:24 PM »
Is this the author?

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/carl-hiaasen/

STEPH: Which series has the ex governor in the swamp?

Steph

« Reply #5351 on: July 08, 2013, 08:42:31 AM »
The ex governor is in all the books in the only series. The stand alones are clear. I wish I could tell you the first book, but I do know that Amazon generally has a place where they list them.. I just started a book that I am pretty sure someone here recommended.. John Hart  "The King of Lies".  Only 35 pages in and I am sucked into several forms of mystery.What a treat. A southern author I have never heard of or read. He is good.. Hooray. I love finding new authors

MaryPage

« Reply #5352 on: July 08, 2013, 09:36:51 AM »
Finished THE SNOWMAN, and loved it.  Have to warn you, it is not for the faint of heart.  It is not often that a book, for crying out loud, can get my heart to beating as hard as do the scary parts in a movie.  But this Norwegian is a Good Story Teller!
I can usually type into Google:  list books by ____author's name_____
and it will give me sites that do just that.

salan

« Reply #5353 on: July 08, 2013, 11:34:30 AM »
Steph, I read John Hart's The Last Child.  It was very good.  I'll put The King of Lies on my tbr pile.
Sally

Winchesterlady

« Reply #5354 on: July 08, 2013, 12:49:37 PM »
MaryPage -- There is a site, Stop You're Killing Me, that lists mysteries by author or character in order of publication.  Then, when you click on the link for the book, you are taken directly to Amazon.  It's located at:  http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/. It's an easy to find books in a series.
~ Carol ~

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5355 on: July 08, 2013, 12:57:55 PM »
Thank you all about the Hiassen. Yes, that's him, JoanK, thank you for the link:  I see he's on tour, too.

That looks like a super link,  Winchester Lady, I think we need it in the heading for other authors, too, so MANY mystery authors!!!  All I see on the page is non series. I think I will start with his Tourist Season, because it's the first one apparently he wrote in the mystery field about Florida and go from there.

I'm well into Swing Swing Together or whatever Lovesy's Victorian mystery about the rowers is called. I love a book which starts with a poem or quote,  he does the Victorian era so well,  and don't want to put this one down either.  I'm going to try Hiassen and if I can't get the first one, I'll pick one I can get. :)

Also love the idea of The King of Lies, I'll look for it. I am so enjoying having the time for pleasure reading and such a pleasure it IS~! I need to structure my year with more of this, it's so fun.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5356 on: July 08, 2013, 04:13:40 PM »
STEPH and GINNY: Stop Your killing Me is in the heading, along with another one, Fantastic Fiction.

FF lists four series for Hiaasen. But "Skink" has the most books.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/carl-hiaasen/

(It doesn't hurt that Hiaasen is so good looking).

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5357 on: July 08, 2013, 09:26:45 PM »
I picked up ( The Snowman )today. Have one more book before starting it.

Steph

« Reply #5358 on: July 09, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
Skink is the exgovernor.. He is in most of the books, sometimes important, sometimes not.
The John Hart. Thus far no characters that are cheerful or up.. Hmm. I may read this in segments, since I can only take depression up to a point and then need relief from it. Good book, good writer, but a downer.
You can really start anywhere with Hiaasen. I saw him on Today promoting the new book.. He always makes the point, that they may be funny, but it all comes from things in Florida, just a bit overdrawn..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5359 on: July 09, 2013, 03:49:02 PM »
By the way, the links I post when we mention an author if you scroll down list their books by detective and order. I'm with those that prefer to read the books in order, although if I see a book in the library that looks interesting, I'll pick it up.

Did that with the last book I read "When Maidens Mourn" by C. S. harris. About a couple in the Regency period of England (1812). A lot of background that reveals what happened to the couple in earlier books. By an author of Regency romances. Stayed up to finish it, but don't think I'll read another. Good historical background, but not my style somehow.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/c-s-harris/