Author Topic: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!  (Read 188361 times)

joangrimes

• Alabama
Re: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!
« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2009, 08:55:58 PM »

Share your  personal photos with us here

Graphics and photos are welcomed here in Introductions only. We ask you to limit the size to 500 pixels on the longest side and to 100 KB in file size.

If you need a place to store your photo for posting  you might like to use this free site http://photobucket.com/

If you do not have PSP or other software for sizing and compressing your photos you might like to use http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ this is also a free site.
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
Pedlin

My goodness, is it 7 years since you came to Champaign. How time fly.  Yes I am still here. Done some traveling but I believe this will always be home base.

Done a lot of reading this winter.  "The Reader" The Red Tent.. The saffron Kitchen.  Loved them all.  My library keeps me well supplied. Just do not buy books anymore.  Soon as I ask for a certain book the library seem to go out and purchase it or get from another library.

JeanneP

ALF43

« Reply #162 on: March 23, 2009, 08:18:20 AM »
Also in June we are reading and discussing The Night Villa, by Carol Goodman.  She just wrote me and agreed to come into our discussion.

News  Flash! Carol Goodman, award winning author of The Night Villa, will attend our June discussion of her book. If you like mystery mixed with mythology, cultural and religious history and intrigue then this is the story for you.

The novel is a multi layered mystery  set in the exploration of an ancient Roman villa. Mrs. Goodman is a former Latin teacher who knows her stuff,  and since we met with her in NYC, we know she is an incredibly responsive person. This will be "one for the  Books.."  Do join us June 1!

She is just lovely and I am so excited that she will be with us.  Do join us there, too.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #163 on: March 23, 2009, 11:01:04 AM »
Sounds like a real winner Alf.  I will probably join the discussion.

Joan G

ALF43

« Reply #164 on: March 23, 2009, 02:10:52 PM »
That is wonderful Joan.  We would love to have you.  Have you ever been to Rome, with all of the traveling that you have done?
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2009, 05:06:32 PM »
Yes, Alf,  I have been to Rome quite a few times.

Joan Grimes

ALF43

« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2009, 08:41:51 PM »
I thought that you had said, Joan, that you had traveled to Rome.  This is good! 
I have never been there and i love to read a book and see it through someone else's eyes that have actually witnessed some of these historic sites?  Have you seen Pompeii and Herculaneum that is mentioned in The Night Villa?

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2009, 09:33:46 AM »
Alf,

Yes I have visited Pompeii and Herculaneum.  The last time I was there was two years ago.  I had a wonderful trip there and to Rome on that same trip. 

We also had a wonderfu exhibition at the Birmingham Museum of Art (where I volunteer) with artifacts from Pompeii that same year.  So I studied lots about it all and was inundated with information on the area.  It was just fascinating.  I love that part of Italy too.

Joan Grimes

ALF43

« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2009, 02:01:17 PM »
oan, that's great.  Then The Night Villa should be right up your alley.  Carol Goodman, the author, is so accessible and so much fun to spend time with and visit.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2009, 03:27:33 PM »
I visited Pompaii in 1963, but they hadn't done the excavations theen that they have now. But we learned a lot about Pompaii in Latin Class with ginny.

Cecropia

« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2009, 08:20:57 PM »
I am a 58 year old entomologist and a former zookeeper and nurse.  I have been doing my "A Look Into The Insect World" lecture and slide show to libraries, schools and interested groups for 29 years.  I have been writing haiku since 1991, and use these verses in traditional and pop-up greeting cards that I design and make for my friends.  I listen to Library Of Congress Reading For The Blind cassettes every day, as I get double vision whenever I read books or watch TV for very long.  I grew up without a TV, so I watch very little of it.  I spend most of my time at my computer, and am a member of LinkedIn and AARP.

I am a nature lover who grew up in a family that raised 100 silkworms in large fish tanks each summer just for the fun of it, and my late father took ultra close up slides of the life cycles of these and other insects. I currently am identifying [1600]and have cleaned [about 400] of his 2000 insect slides.  I have written a children's manuscript using Dad's slides and my haiku on insects and am resubmitting it for publication at this time. 

I found out about you from a member of the nonfiction discussion in the books group at AARP's on line group.   I am mostly a nonfiction reader [nature, insects, animals, travel, adventure, autobiographies of [especially] medical, nursing, veterinary, police, correctional, fire and EMT professionals, anthropology and culture, pioneers and their culture, biographies, history, WWII, the Mafia, FBI and other similar groups like the KGB, cooking, health, inventions and how things work, and many other subjects.  I do like historical, cooking mysteries and suspense/espionage novels.  My favorite authors are Gerald Durrell, James Harriot, Laura Ingalls Wilder and Rose Wilder, Eric Sloane, and Ralph Moody, Studs Terkell, James Michener, Dickens, Twain, and others.

I look forward to meeting other book lovers and interesting people of all ages. 

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2009, 08:54:53 PM »
Dear Cecropia, we are so happy you found your way here.  From reading your post, I can tell you will be very happy with us.

Though you prefer non-fiction, I do spot Dickens.  Hopefully we will be discussing his unfinished "Mystery of Edwin Drood" here in the near future.  Our group met with Studs Terkel in Chicago several yeas ago - after discussing his "Good War."

Oh, and oh my, I was drawn to the fact that you have been  writing haiku.  I think haiku verses would be perfect on greeting cards.  I would really prefer that than the wordy cards one finds on the racks in stores.
Beginning April 1 we will be discussing "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" -in which the Japanese influence plays a big role - one of the characters reads haiku - to relax.  It would be fantastic if you could join us!  We are gathering right here... The Elegance of the Hedgehog

Even if you can't make this one...you are very, very welcome here!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2009, 09:30:58 PM »
Welcome, Cecropia, it's good to see you here.  There are lots of people here whose interests overlap yours.  The Poetry discussion has several members (especially JoanK) who are haiku fans.  The Mystery, Non-fiction and Fiction general discussions are good places to get leads on new books to read.  The Library has more generalized, random conversations about books.  There is usually a specific non-fiction book discussion going.  At the moment it's Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals", about Abraham Lincoln, and you would be very welcome to join in, even half-way through.

As a child I really wanted to be a herpetologist, and my childhood hero was Raymond Lee Ditmars.  I ended up being a chemist instead, but never forgot about zoology.  I'd dearly love to see your children's book when it reaches an appropriate stage.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2009, 10:01:03 PM »
Cecropia, I'm sure this isn't professional quality, but just to make you feel at home

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff125/PatriciaFHighet/IMG_0836_2.jpg

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2009, 10:50:31 PM »
Welcome Cecropia!!

It is a real pleasure to welcome you to SeniorLearn.  I know you will enjoy the discussions here and getting to know all of the wonderful people who participate in these discussions.

I have something to make you feel at home here too.  I took this photo out my bedroom window this morning.

Hawk

One of my favorite activities is taking photos of birds.

I am really looking forward to getting to know you.

Joan Grimes

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2009, 05:25:12 PM »
Welcome Cecropia!!!

You inspire me to look up some of my favorite insect haiku from Japanese poets:

How easily it lights up
How easily it goes out
The firefly.
Shuku (?)

The breeze
Lifts a hair
On the caterpillers back.
Buson

And of course Issa was THE poet of insects:

Don't worry, spider
I keep house
Casually.

In a large room:
One man
One fly.

But my favorite of his is about a mollusk:

The snail
gets up and goes to bed
with very little fuss.

Aren't you sorry you got me started? Join us in the Mystery Corner and the Poetry group. (We're reading Hardy now -- wordy after haiku, but we change on April 1.

Bow_Belle

« Reply #176 on: April 01, 2009, 07:54:45 AM »
HEllo!

My Login is Bow_Belle because I grew up in London in a place called Bow. I now live in Somerset which is 150 miles from London. It is a beautiful county quite a far cry from London.
I have been studying  Latin at a College now since last September. It was 50 years since I last studied the language and I felt really chuffed just how much I still remembered. We learned things by rote in those days and some of the things just stayed with me.

I have been studying book 1 of the Cambridge Latin course at one venue and also Book 2 at another. I have got the bug and am keen to continue and the idea of being able to do it online and have regular assigments is just what I need as i always need impetus!

Will definitely enrol for the autumn term

Bye for now

Gabrielle

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #177 on: April 01, 2009, 08:18:21 AM »
Welcome Bow_Belle,

I am happy to see you here.  I am sure that you will enjoy the online Latin Classes...

Do you like to read and discuss books.  We have wonderful book discussions on this site too.  If you have time we would be happy to have you join in the book discussions as well as the Latin Classes.

I Love the area of the world where you live.  I used to travel to your country once or twice a year but did not manage to get there last year and don't have anyu travel plans at all this year.  I do hope that I will get back there sometime though. I have lots of travel memories.

Again Welcome to SeniorLearn and I wish you well with your Latin studies.

Joan Grimes

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #178 on: April 01, 2009, 11:26:52 AM »
Hi, Gabrielle,
 I'm glad you got the information I sent in response to your email about the Latin classes here for fall.  It's terrific that you've already registered here and will understand how the discussions work. That'll give you a big headstart on the Latin class come enrollment this summer.

WELCOME!!

jane

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #179 on: April 01, 2009, 02:00:26 PM »
Welcome, Bow_Belle.  I hope that while you are waiting for Latin to begin you'll check out our other discussions.  We have a number of generic conversations about books going all the time, and we are usually discussing two specific books also.  something for everyone.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #180 on: April 04, 2009, 05:24:48 PM »
Welcome Bow_Belle.  We're so glad to have y ou with us for both Latin and book discussions.  You are right on target with the Cambridge.  The current Latin 101s finished Cambridge 1 just last week.  On Monday they will be Latin 102s and will use the 1997 Ullman-Henry Latin for Americans 1, but will also later use Cambridge 2 for supplemental readings.

trlee

« Reply #181 on: April 30, 2009, 03:24:44 PM »

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this site.  Andy asked me to join your discussion group, and I'm game.  I love to read and discuss books,

and am looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Lee

ALF43

« Reply #182 on: April 30, 2009, 03:27:36 PM »
 Hey Lee there you are.  We are always delighted to welcome new readers to our group go over to Three Cups of Tea and check us out.

Andy

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=465.0

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #183 on: April 30, 2009, 05:58:15 PM »
Welocme, Lee!  I'm sure you will feel at home here in no time!  We are delighted to hear from you and look forward to getting to know you.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #184 on: April 30, 2009, 06:07:59 PM »
Welcome, Lee.  This is a good time to find us, since new book discussions are about to start.  In addition to discussing specific books, there are a number of more general discussions: Mystery, Fiction, Non-fiction, Sci-Fi, etc.  Something for everyone.  I'll see you around, wherever you settle.

If you feel like it, tell us a little about  yourself

ALF43

« Reply #185 on: May 01, 2009, 07:18:39 AM »
I hope that Lee can navigate her way back in here to us.  I will keep an eye out.  She is a retired teacher, very bright, funny and articulate-- our kind of gal.

She has just started her own book group in her town and will be the facillitator for their first meeting.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #186 on: May 01, 2009, 08:50:03 AM »
Welcome Lee!

We are so Happy to have you join us here.I am sure that you will be an asset to our community.Join right in and tell us what you are reading right now.   We all want to hear about what you are reading, along with how you spend your time.
We would like to see photos of your book group that you have organized.  So if you have time to get one and need help in putting it here in this discussion just click on my name and send me an email and I will help you put it here.In fact if you need help with anything about this site just ask.  Someone will be glad to help you find your way around.

Looking forward to getting to know you.

Joan Grimes

bellamarie

« Reply #187 on: May 01, 2009, 08:50:35 AM »
Happy May Day!  I have been with Senior Net/Learn for a few years now.  I have read and discussed books here that I would never have chosen just browsing through the library or Amazon. 

I am 56 so I'm not so sure I would be considered a "Senior", but that has not detered me from enjoying this wonderful site. 

Thanks to all of you!
Marie Reinhart
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

ALF43

« Reply #188 on: May 01, 2009, 09:19:21 AM »
belleMarie-  It matters NOT your age, we love to have you with us.  We are all young at heart here at SeniorLearn.  Some of us are more juvenile than others, too, I might add.  ( who ??ME???)

Rainbow

« Reply #189 on: May 04, 2009, 05:40:42 PM »
I've finally finished with all my volunteering for a while.  I first signed in to SeniorLearn back in March, can't believe it's already May.  It's so nice to have time to read for more than 30 minutes at a time.  I finished Elizabeth George's Careless in Red last week and I'm now reading another of Alexander McCall Smith's books, Friends, Lovers, Chocolate.
The hot weather is starting up here in Florida so it's a good season to curl up next to the air conditioning and read.  I used to curl up next to our fireplace up in Massachusetts, life does have a way of turning you around! 

Rainbow

« Reply #190 on: May 04, 2009, 05:41:45 PM »
Sorry about all the under lines, have to learn how to use this format!

trlee

« Reply #191 on: May 04, 2009, 06:48:15 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of the welcoming messages.  To answer a few of your questions, I'm a retired teacher who has just organized a book club in our local library. Our club will read mostly fiction books....we think.....and the first one is a novel by Sue Miller called the Senator's Wife.  We met only once so far to organize and lay the ground rules (we worked together on them, and agreed they are a work in progress)  We had l3 teachers attend, and will be meeting again in a month to discuss the book.  Everyone is writing a question so that we can be sure they will all participate.

I see that some of you are travelers.  My husband and I have done quite a bit of traveling during the past l5 years.  We've been fortunate enough to travel to many destinations.  I think that our most interesting trip was to China in 2004.  As much as we like to travel, we always look forward to coming home.  We live in an area that used to have a lot of farms, and now is more suburban.  We have lots of gardens, both vegetable and flowers.  It's mostly my husband's passion, but I love it as well. 

I ordered the book you are reading this morning, and will get into it as soon as it comes in.  It sounds like an interesting read.  I'm looking forward to interacting with all of you.

Lee

ALF43

« Reply #192 on: May 05, 2009, 08:43:37 AM »
Welcome back Lee.  Which one of the books are you going to read with us?

trlee

« Reply #193 on: May 05, 2009, 06:55:53 PM »
Alf43

Three cups of Tea.  I heard some people talking about it today, on a trip to the Botanical Gardens in the Bronx, and they said it was wonderful.

Lee

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #194 on: May 06, 2009, 05:23:07 PM »
Yes, it is.  And we're only a few days along, so catching up won't be a problem.

puddingyes

« Reply #195 on: May 19, 2009, 12:36:13 AM »
Hi everyone.  I'm so darn glad to be back with the bookish senior netters.  This is elizabeth78 but the powers that be wouldn't let me on, insisting the info I was giving belonged to someone else (me).  I finally thought to sign up using my daughter's email name -- so-- Puddingyes, at your service. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: May 19, 2009, 10:33:58 AM »
Elizabeth78!! So good to see you again!! I wondered where you were!

I bet Jane can fix that snafu on your name, puddingyes@ hahahaha

Just look up at the top of the page at the buttons which say Discussion Index, right under the flowers and PLUNGE IN anywhere and everywhere you like!

So good to see you again!

I call my little grandbaby Gammie's Little Pudding and he will say that if asked, he's good enough to eat. :)

Welcome!
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #197 on: May 19, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
WElcome badk Pudding yes, Elizabeth 78...Great to see upi here.

Just jump right in and get started in the discussions of your choice.

Ginny,   good to see you here.  So sorry to hear about your fall and the injury to your knee.

Joan Grimes

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #198 on: May 19, 2009, 10:02:55 PM »
Hi everyone.  I'm so darn glad to be back with the bookish senior netters.  This is elizabeth78 but the powers that be wouldn't let me on, insisting the info I was giving belonged to someone else (me).  I finally thought to sign up using my daughter's email name -- so-- Puddingyes, at your service. 

Elizabeth...I've emailed you.

Please look for an email from janeiowa@gmail.com

jane

Judyg

« Reply #199 on: May 23, 2009, 07:00:28 PM »
I am judyg; 63 years of age; live in the lower desert of California where it is beginning to get hot for the summer.  I teach Literature and Writing half days at a Christian high school; am retired from the public schools.  I am in a book club and our 'leader' discovered this site and recommended it to us for the talks about books.