Author Topic: The Library  (Read 197855 times)

Babi

Re: The Library
« Reply #1040 on: May 09, 2009, 08:51:08 AM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is  always out.
Do come in from the wind and rain and join us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!

Suggestion Box for Future Discussions

[/b]GUM, to paraphrase an old line, 'If you have to ask, it probably isn't.'  ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1041 on: May 09, 2009, 10:01:41 AM »
Wow, we were just talking about au courant in the upcoming Night Villa discussion, and yesterday's  Wall Street Journal in the states (since we have an international audience here, you all may not get it, but I expect it's the same news item everywhere)  had as its cover for the  Weekend Journal IS The Next Age of Discovery: "As scholars race to digitize crumbling archives, they're unearthing new finds-- from lost gospels to an alternate 'Medea.'"

This is followed by the news that:

This summer, a professor of computer science at the University of Kentucky plans to test 3-D X-ray scanning on two papyrus scrolls from Pompeii that were charred by volcanic ash in 79 A.D. Scholars have never before been able to read or even open the scrolls, which now sit in the French National Institute in Paris.

By taking high-resolution  digital images in 14 different light wavelengths, ranging from infrared to ultraviolet, Oxford scholars are reading bits of papyrus that were discovered in 1898 in an ancient garbage dump in central Egypt.  So far, researchers have digitized about 80% of the collection of 500,000 fragments, dating from the 2nd century BC to the 8th century AD. The texts include fragments of unknown works by famous authors of antiquity, lost gospels and early Islamic manuscripts.

Oh boy, what will they find of Roman Egypt in those records? Maybe where Cleopatra and Antony are buried?

It also says: Recent Breakthroughs: 

Digitization projects are also bringing previously unknown manuscripts to light- and to the Web, where scholars and curious internet surfers alike can look at high-resolution digital images of new discoveries from the ancient  world.

Wow! Just imagine what they will discover in the yet unexcavated parts of Pompeii,  not to mention Stabiae, and thanks to the new technology, we also may be ready to peer on something never seen for more than 2000 years! WOW!!

Just imagine!  Talk about au courant!  Talk about Indiana Jones!

Here's our chance to enjoy  the same experience vicariously!  Pack your pith helmet and shovel,  and come on down to 
    The  Night Villa Discussion, we're off on a high virtual  adventure, which is making news today!

Everyone is welcome!
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #1042 on: May 09, 2009, 10:57:13 AM »
Hi Ginger, I've been wondering where you were ---
come back often and let us know what you are reading.

Frybabe

« Reply #1043 on: May 09, 2009, 12:19:51 PM »
Gum, you and I seem to have similar tastes in books. So far, I like The Seduction of Water very much. I am only up to the bit where she is talking about her Mother's death.

I bought The Historian for my sister two years ago because she likes vampire stories ( and horror films). I am not fond of them myself.

ALF43

« Reply #1044 on: May 09, 2009, 02:17:35 PM »
Yes, gum the last 300 pages are worth the read in The Historian.  I finished Edgar Sawtelle and just got Jodi Picult's Handle with Care from a neighbor.  We're discussing 3 Cups of Tea on line NOW and in a couple of weeks, Ginny and I will be heading to Pompeii in The Night Villa.

Gingee!!
  Oh my golly, how are you?  I've thought of you so often and hope that you are well.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

winsummm

« Reply #1045 on: May 09, 2009, 09:59:37 PM »
hi

my kindle just bought a book about robots and the military. WIRELESS AT WAR.

bots ARE AMAZING BY  P.W. SINGER.

been reading it and reading it and . . . .reading.

also back to the robin hobb book, a continuation of the FOOL series.

my eyes have had it.  byeee
claire
thimk

Babi

« Reply #1046 on: May 10, 2009, 09:19:16 AM »
Wow!, indeed, GINNY. Did the article give any hint as to when some of
these findings will by made public?  Or are some of them available now?
I always find such discoveries fascinating.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Gumtree

« Reply #1047 on: May 10, 2009, 12:15:42 PM »
Babi:
- if you have to ask, it probably isn't

In general I agree,  - when in doubt, vote NO - on the other hand ALF   encourages me to go on and I know others here have enjoyed The Historian - so I picked it up again this evening and became quite engrossed - I guess maybe I was a little weary or had read on for a little too long....I'll see what tomorrow brings. - still a long way to go.

Ginny  Indiana Jones has nothing on us! But isn't it just amazing what they are doing in archaeology these days. They're bound to uncover more lost treasures of the literary kind - what a time to be young and enthusiastic and involved in the search...I sure wouldn't mind reading the 'lost gospels'  and the alternative "Medea" - WOW, the mind boggles - as they say in the classics :D
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #1048 on: May 10, 2009, 01:11:39 PM »

Funny that all this ancient stuff is being talked about in here.  I just finished listening to Elizabeth Peter's  "The Serpent on the Crown"  with the narrator Barbara Rosenblat.  What a fabulous reader she is.  Does all the voices and accents in this crowded story "featuring intrepid Egyptologist Amelia Peabody deftly blands high-state suspense with the riveting lore of an ancient and magical land."
I intend to try another of Peter's books with this narrator. I had never heard of her before I chose this audio tape but it was a worth the effort.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

bellemere

« Reply #1049 on: May 10, 2009, 04:49:17 PM »
To the reader "also reading The Worst Hard Time " by Timothy Egan:  Remember the descriptions of the horrific winds in the Texas panhandle, blowing up dust storms and stripping the land of topsoil?  I read where T. Boone Pickens has a plan to build a huge windmill project in the Texas panhandle.  He must have done his research. 

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1050 on: May 10, 2009, 05:11:45 PM »
I've just finished The Big Rich.  Thanks for whoever mentioned it here.  It's a great slice of history, and gives a lot of insight into present-day events.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1051 on: May 10, 2009, 09:22:55 PM »
I came in this evening to ask if any of you are watching Maspterpiece Mystery  this evening  on PBS.  Tonight is the first of three episodes of " Wallander:Sidetracked" with the Irish actor, Kenneth Branagh.

These episodes are based on best selling books by Henning Mankell -
Sidetracked, Firewall and One Step Behind Are you interested in a discussion of these thrilling mysteies? 
SeniorLearn has been contacted by Masterpiece HGTV - offering us free sets of two lf these books if we are interested.  (Masterpiece is one of our Reading Promotion Partners in the Library of Congress Center for the Book.)

If you are intersted in these books and chatting about the PBS adaptations, please post here and we'll open a discussion - and send you your set of novels.
I'm watching the first episode right now - Kenneth Branagh is Detective Wallender!

CubFan

« Reply #1052 on: May 10, 2009, 10:37:05 PM »
Greetings Joan -

I just finished watching Wallander and intend to watch the next two episodes but I don't think I'm interested in reading the books.  I'm sure that there are major differences but since I've seen the TV program first I'll pass.  Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1053 on: May 10, 2009, 10:41:26 PM »
Thanks for responding so quickly, Mary. I watched the first episode too.  Sure different, wasn't it?  I loved Kenneth Branagh, in the Wallender role.  How did he get his eyes so bloodshot?
 I'm wondering if we might open a discussion of both the film AND the books - one discussion for both.  Those requesting the books could read them - those wanting to comment about the film, could do the same.   What do you think?

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1054 on: May 10, 2009, 11:09:12 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation.  I'll set it to record the rerun at 1 a.m.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Babi

« Reply #1055 on: May 11, 2009, 09:35:07 AM »
FYI, I saw a post from early this morning that Ginny had a fall yesterday and broke a leg. That remarkable lady dragged herself to a phone to call for help.
She will be in a cast and unable to get to her computer for a while ...I know she's going to hate that...so her involvement here is going to be on hold until she can return.  We're going to miss her, that's for sure!

JoanR

« Reply #1056 on: May 11, 2009, 09:58:38 AM »
 So sorry to hear about Ginny's broken leg! Poor brave Ginny!!! I can't even imagine how awful it must have been for her to drag herself into the house and to a phone!  I hope that her whole summer will not be totally wrecked!  She enjoys her trips so much.

I would definitely be interested in a "Wallander discussion".  I watched the first episode and thought it very good indeed.  The review in the NYT mentioned that Wallander listens to opera in his car (yay!!) but they left that out of the series in case it made him look too much like Inspector Morse who used to listen to classical music.

Frybabe

« Reply #1057 on: May 11, 2009, 11:10:11 AM »
JoanP, I know I answered the post about Wallander last night, but I can't seem to find it. I would be delighted to participate in a discussion. My PBS replayed the show at 1AM this morning. Ufortunately, I fell asleep on the couch waiting for it and didn't wake up until it was well over. Big Bummer! I will be checking to see if they run it again later this week. I did want to watch it, but forgot it was on earlier. I was watching the History Channel program on the upcoming "Angels and Demons" movie based on Dan Brown's book.

If Ginny can't get to her computer, is there a way to get the computer to her? I can imagine the major withdrawal pains (as well as from her leg) from being away too long.

mrssherlock

« Reply #1058 on: May 11, 2009, 11:36:11 AM »
Poor Ginny!  She has grit, doesn't she?  Ca;n we continue without her leading us on to new frontiers of thinking?  Won't be the same.

Wallander has not been played yet on my PBS station.  I was crushed when I couldn't find it listed.  But as a long-time fan of Mankell's books I will be an eager participant in a discussion of any medium.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1059 on: May 11, 2009, 11:40:20 AM »
Here is a link to the Wall Street Journal article that Ginny mentioned above about THE NEXT AGE OF DISCOVERY

In a 21st-century version of the age of discovery, teams of computer scientists, conservationists and scholars are fanning out across the globe in a race to digitize crumbling literary treasures.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124173896716198603.html

Mippy

« Reply #1060 on: May 11, 2009, 03:36:36 PM »
Just in case someone at Ginny's house is signing on for her:

Dearest Ginny,  amica mea,
    Do  Get  Well  Soon  !!!!
quot libros, quam breve tempus

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
PBS Masterpiece Mystery!
« Reply #1061 on: May 11, 2009, 06:47:21 PM »
We're all hoping for the best prognosis after Ginny sees the ortho guy today for her cast.

OK, we've opened a General  PBS Masterpiece Discussion to determine if there is interest in the Wallanders - 
This is the question in the header of the new discussion.

Would you like to form a Wallander Book/Film club?   We could discuss  the PBS adaptation of Henrick Mankell's novels  and/or discuss  Mankell's  novels  if you are interested.  We can send you a set of two of the Wallander novels for the price of postage - if supplies last.  Are you interested?

Since I had posted in several discussions about the series yesterday, I'm going to ask those of you  who expressed interest to go into the new discussion, so all the information is in one place.
I'll be looking for you there, ready to take your orders!  ;)  Thanks!

ALF43

« Reply #1062 on: May 11, 2009, 08:41:01 PM »
mrssherlock- indeed the gal has grit!  She will be fine.  She is even tougher than she knows.

If everyone just holds and assembles together in the Night Villa, she will be a happy camper.  We all know how she agonizes over an opening discussion, particularly one with an author in attendance. ;D
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1063 on: May 12, 2009, 07:59:24 AM »
 Thanks for your Book Club Online votes, everyone!  Your participation is so important!

The VOTES have been COUNTED!

By Just ONE VOTE: Dickens' Mystery of Edwin Drood + Matthew Pearl's Last Dickens
Second Place: Geraldine Brooks' People of the Book
We'll discuss these top choices in the coming months!

ALF43

« Reply #1064 on: May 12, 2009, 09:21:50 AM »
Good Morning.
I just finished a 45 minute conversation with my newest patient- GINNY!

She went to the orthopedist yesterday and he told her that the break was NOT where the ER doc had diagnosed it but in a smaller bone in her knee.  This is  not a "weight bearing bone" that was fractured but non the less it is very painful and she is unable to bear weight at this time.  She was pleased that she does not have to undergo surgery, naturally, but concerned with us here at SeniorLearn.
She can not sit at her computer for awhile, her leg must stay with ice and elevation.  It is difficult with these types of breaks to ascertain just how long she will be off her leg.  She returns to the doc on June 1st. 
She is in excellent spirits and I was able to pick on her considerably and make her laugh. ::)
Her trip in July is another issue but she will patiently see what the month brings.  It will be at least 6 or 7 weeks post fracture by then.
She is comfortable that her Latin students are finishing up and hopes that they will post their interest in the Night Villa.
She swears that after June 1st she will try to get in there, but we will see.
A good dose of Oxycontin might help with that issue. ;D

She is resting well and says to say hello to everyone.  Only Ginny could break her leg and say that it was her best Mother's Day EVER.  Winston came back home, he was visiting his mother the day that she fell and her boys came to her house, to rally around the mama bear.
She said that she LOVED the attention but as for me-- I would prefer to keep all bones intact.
She hates the crutches and has found an alternative.  (Don't ask.)

I will be calling her in a couple of days and report back en mass.

Babi

« Reply #1065 on: May 12, 2009, 09:30:48 AM »
DON'T ASK?!!  You have no idea how my bump of curiosity is now itching.
Very well, I shall employ my vivid imagination with all sort of possibilities. (I'm grinning already.)  ;D

ALF43

« Reply #1066 on: May 12, 2009, 09:49:45 AM »
 ;D
I am the same way Babi.  NEVER tell a curiosity seeker, "don't ask."
She will tell her story, I am merely the Nurse in attendance.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1067 on: May 12, 2009, 10:11:05 AM »
There's gotta be an easier way to rally your family around.  I'm relieved it isn't any worse than it is; I was picturing a snapped femur.  It must be awfully painful, though.

What about getting a cheap laptop to use lying down?  (Maybe not while she's on enough painkillers to make it likely that she let it slide to the floor)

Tell Ginny hi from me, and that I think she's amazing.

mrssherlock

« Reply #1068 on: May 12, 2009, 10:49:58 AM »
What a relief!  I was picturing her with compound fractures, bones sticking out here and there, dragging herself over the yard in the chicken coop with all those bacteria lining up to jump on her and feast.  Still, knee problems are not easy to live with.  She is truly the heart of this discussion. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

mabel1015j

« Reply #1069 on: May 12, 2009, 06:05:55 PM »
Ginny - for when you are back on-line - I'm sending you a dozen fantasy cream-filled donuts from Peter Pan Bakery on Main St! They are guaranteed to  heal any broken bones  ;) ;)  ................or just thinking about them will make you smile, which we all know is a healing behavior................  :-* :-*  We are going to miss you in the mean time til you get back into the community w/ us...................jean

Mippy

« Reply #1070 on: May 13, 2009, 06:47:52 AM »
ALF ~ Thanks so much for the update on our Ginny!

Ginny ~ When you start to read these posts again, you'll be delighted to hear
how much the summer 200/201 group is looking forward to our start on June 1.
Can't keep those ol' Latin students quiet ... get well soon,  amica mea  :D
quot libros, quam breve tempus

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1071 on: May 14, 2009, 05:41:23 PM »
look what Jude found in the New Yorker!

If you participated in the recent Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society discussion, please please register here - six lucky members of our SeniorLearn Book Club could win an all expense paid trip to Guernsey this fall!

It's simple, really simple to register!

Babi

« Reply #1072 on: May 15, 2009, 08:25:17 AM »
I entered.  Shucks, why not?   8) 

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1073 on: May 15, 2009, 09:03:04 AM »
Babi, note thta you can register ONCE A DAY! ;D

Indeed - why not!

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #1074 on: May 15, 2009, 09:46:58 PM »
Thanks all for the report on Ginny. My thoughts and prayers are with her.
Ginger

EvelynMC

« Reply #1075 on: May 17, 2009, 06:22:01 PM »
So sorry to hear about Ginny.  Such a sad thing to happen to such an active lady. 

Evelyn

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #1076 on: May 17, 2009, 08:43:42 PM »
By being active, she is also a strong lady.  I know she will get through with her usual joi de vie!   :)
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

winsummm

« Reply #1077 on: May 18, 2009, 12:15:57 AM »
earthquake about an hour ago . . .5.0 greater los angeles area. I'm close enouh to be spooked bye it but none of my neighbors were here in san clemente. I did look it up on my computer though.

sorry about breaking the thread and ginny keep off that leg but don't stop reading stuff you can tell us about when you are back.

And . . .  thanks for introducing us to carol goodman. I'm into her book already. couldn't resist. couldn't wait for the group. she is wonderful. will just suck in everything she has writen with this new Kindle. It was only eight dollars there. I read SAMPLES of everything that is mentioned here.

hugs, claire
thimk

Frybabe

« Reply #1078 on: May 18, 2009, 12:27:46 AM »
Winnsummm, how scary! Glad you are alright. I keep the USGS earthquake site bookmarked so I can go over to take a look at the specs. We have had almost 400 very small, hardly worth mentioning, earthquakes in the last year around the Dillsburg/Boiling Springs (PA) area. The USGS doesn't  have an explanation for why it is happening there and with such frequency as yet. It is not a normal thing for us.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1079 on: May 18, 2009, 01:22:18 AM »
I felt the earthquake too, in Pasadena, and the epicenter was quite close to JoanK.  She's ll right, but felt her bed shaking strongly for a while.  It lasted a minute or so.