Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2  (Read 745243 times)

mabel1015j

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2
« Reply #5760 on: March 08, 2015, 04:28:03 PM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

Pedln - The Shopkeepers Wife that i'm reading is by Noelle Sickels, is that a different book?

Jean

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #5761 on: March 08, 2015, 05:44:43 PM »
Yes, Jean, it is.  The book I read and liked is The SHOEMAKER'S Wife by Adriana Triganini.  It gets hard to keep these titles separate.  And, there are some titles (I forget which) that are used by several different authors.

Since you're liking the SHOPMAKER'S Wife so much, I'm going to have to look into it.

One little letter!

mabel1015j

« Reply #5762 on: March 08, 2015, 11:57:58 PM »
Oh! Yes! My brain slipped right over the title to the one i'm reading :D

I'll take a look at The Shoemaker's Wife LOL.

The Shopkeeper's Wife had very good reviews on Amazon, which is why i picked it up at the library. I've just gotten started, but the writing is very good.

Jean

Steph

« Reply #5763 on: March 09, 2015, 09:10:19 AM »
I liked Trigiani.. A bit sweet, but nice in many ways.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

serenesheila

« Reply #5764 on: March 19, 2015, 12:09:36 PM »
I am in the middle of Jeffery Archer"s series of he Clifton Chronicales  I can hardly put it down.  I find his writing so interesting.  The first of his books which I read was "Kane and Able".  I ordered all off his books from Amazon. so I have lots of good reading ahead of me.

Sheila

CallieOK

« Reply #5765 on: March 19, 2015, 02:43:53 PM »
I'm currently reading "A Fall of Marigolds" by Susan Meissner.  It's a story about a woman whose husband died in 9/11 and a woman who lost her true love in an NYC factory fire in 1911.  There is a connection that makes the intriguing title clear.

Steph

« Reply #5766 on: March 20, 2015, 08:36:08 AM »
Sounds as if it might be interesting. I am in love with A.J. Fikry and reading on as I go.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #5767 on: March 22, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »
Science Shows Something Surprising About People Who Still Read Fiction
Gabe Bergado November 21, 2014
Like Mic on Facebook:

They tend to be more empathetic toward others.

It's not news that reading has countless benefits: Poetry stimulates parts of the brain linked to memory and sparks self-reflection; kids who read the Harry Potter books tend to be better people. But what about people who only read newspapers? Or people who scan Twitter all day? Are those readers' brains different from literary junkies who peruse the pages of 19th century fictional classics?

Short answer: Yes — reading enhances connectivity in the brain. But readers of fiction? They're a special breed.

The study: A 2013 Emory University study looked at the brains of fiction readers. Researchers compared the brains of people after they read to the brains of people who didn't read. The brains of the readers — they read Robert Harris' Pompeii over a nine-day period at night — showed more activity in certain areas than those who didn't read.

Specifically, researchers found heightened connectivity in the left temporal cortex, part of the brain typically associated with understanding language. The researchers also found increased connectivity in the central sulcus of the brain, the primary sensory region, which helps the brain visualize movement. When you visualize yourself scoring a touchdown while playing football, you can actually somewhat feel yourself in the action. A similar process happens when you envision yourself as a character in a book: You can take on the emotions they are feeling.

It may sound hooey hooey, but it's true: Fiction readers make great friends as they tend to be more aware of others' emotions.

This is further apparent in a 2013 study that investigated emotional transportation, which is how sensitive people are to others' feelings. Researchers calculated emotional transportation by having participants express how a story they read affected them emotionally on a five-point scale — for example, how the main character's success made them feel, and how sorry they felt for the characters.

In the study, empathy was only apparent in the groups of people who read fiction and who were emotionally transported. Meanwhile, those who were not transported demonstrated a decrease in empathy.

Need more proof? Psychologists David Comer Kidd and Emanuele Castano at the New School for Social Research focused on the effect of literary fiction, rather than popular fiction, on readers.

For the experiment, participants either read a piece of literary fiction or popular fiction, followed by identifying facial emotions solely through the eyes. Those who read literary fiction scored consistently higher, by about 10%.

"We believe that one critical difference between lit and pop fiction is the extent to which the characters are complex, ambiguous, difficult to get to know, etc. (in other words, human) versus stereotyped, simple," Castano wrote to Mic.

Literary fiction enhanced participants' empathy because they had to work harder at fleshing out the characters. The process of trying to understand what those characters are feelings and the motives behind them is the same in our relationships with other people.

As the Guardian reports, Kidd argues that applying the skills we use when reading critically to the real world makes sense because "the same psychological processes are used to navigate fiction and real relationships. Fiction is not just a simulator of a social experience, it is a social experience."

The world around is as real as it gets. Might as well indulge in some fiction. Science says it'll make you better at interacting with people.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #5768 on: March 23, 2015, 08:53:48 AM »
hmm, I find the line between what is called literary fiction and popular fiction to some extent is wobbly.. Some of the current stuff is junk, whether it is literary or popular and I really really hate a few authors who are supposed to be wonderful.. Rabbit.. a whole series  on a man who was totally self absorbed. nonsense.  Claiming Gone Girl is literary.. nuts to that. Charles Dickens when he was alive was called a potboiler author, now,, literary.. Mark Twain was considered a childrens author.. now.. literary. Literary to some extent is in the mind of the reader.

Frybabe

« Reply #5769 on: March 23, 2015, 09:27:25 AM »
I wonder if, instead of literary fiction vs popular fiction, Mr. Bergado could better have said character driven vs plot driven books. I am thinking of the likes of Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, and Mark Twain (in as far as Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer are concerned). Accurate historical research (where possible) is almost a must these days, but doesn't necessarily make it a literary book. What about classics like Fahrenheit 450, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and 1984?  By what or whose standard makes a book literary or not?  An interesting research project, but not right now.

I am beginning a new series of books by R. W. Peake. His Marching with Caesar series follows a "grunt" soldier in the 10th Legion. The first book (not the first published) is teased from the original in the series, both being reworked to expand on the early life of Pullus (the legionary who narrates the story) and separate the material into two books.  The second of the series, The Conquest of Gaul, deals with campaigns that we are now studying in Latin Class. BTW, not only has the author copyrighted his material, but he has registered Marching with Caesar (with the little circled R behind the name). I've forgotten how to get to the symbol menu to type it in. Smart guy.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #5770 on: March 23, 2015, 09:42:22 AM »
Ahhhh, but isn't that the wonderful thing about reading fiction.  What one reader loves may indeed be what another dislikes.  Some authors that are raved about in various reviews and reader comments here and in other places that discuss books...goodreads, etc... are authors that would not appeal to me.  

My husband is an avid reader, but our reading choices could not be farther apart.  He loves nonfiction and particularly history, and those books bore me to death.  He likes writers like C.J. Box and Daniel Silva.  Nope...not for me.  

My friends rave about Jodi Picoult or a book like Somerset by Leila Meacham, and insist I would love them.  Nope!  I had Somerset thrust at me one evening by a new acquaintance who insisted I could easily read the 625 pages in a few days.  I really tried...and I couldn't enjoy it.  

I think with the availability of so many choices we are so fortunate to be able to find authors we enjoy--and that is the reason I read.  

One of the reasons I love my IPAD is that I don't have to suffer comments from strangers in waiting rooms or airports about what I'm reading.  Reading, for me, is a very private and personal, and I guess, selfish thing.  It's for me alone.

Frybabe

« Reply #5771 on: March 23, 2015, 09:57:27 AM »
Uh Oh, Jane. I am one of those who strikes up a conversation with book readers, if only to ask what they are reading and share what I am reading without further comment from either of us. I am always interested in others opinions on what might be good or what authors might be worth a try, elsewise I wouldn't be here.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #5772 on: March 23, 2015, 10:29:44 AM »
Yes, I can understand that, Frybabe, and each of us is different, of course.  

I think when you see someone reading something you know you've enjoyed or would, then asking how they like it, etc. is great.  

It's when someone is reading something you know you wouldn't enjoy...oh...for me, that would be something in this new genre called "New Adult," that I refrain from commenting.  Back when I read paperbacks in waiting rooms, I'd get..."You read Jessica Scott or Robyn Carr or whoever it was ?" in a tone of voice that indicated I wasn't meeting the commentator's standard for literature.  

Yep, I sure do.  I enjoyed those women's series...and I'm old enough I don't have to defend my reading choices to anybody.

[And, for the purists, as an English major in college and teacher of HS English, I've probably read most of the classics.]

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #5773 on: March 23, 2015, 12:58:59 PM »
OK found this

The guidelines for literary and mainstream fiction often differ from those of popular fiction such as romance novels, fantasy novels, crimes novels, etc.... Literary fiction tends to focus on complex issues and the beauty of the writing itself, and your novel may rely more on action, which is the tendency of mainstream fiction. So how do you know if your novel is literary or mainstream? Let us explain.

Defining Mainstream and Literary

Mainstream: Sometimes referred to as literary light and general fiction, mainstream fiction blends genre fiction with techniques often unique to literary fiction. The language of the novel will at times delve into prose of a more literary vein (full of insight) while the rest of the writing will be more driven by the story. The premise of the story has to instantly hook the reader, but the narrative arc will be equal parts plot-driven and character-driven. Perspective is important, but the story takes precedence.

As with any good story, conflict will arise, but it will be presented in a way that’s more apparent and less nuanced than it would be in strict literary fiction. This distinction makes most mainstream fiction easier to read and accessible to a wider range of readers. Keep in mind that mainstream novels for new writers generally fall between 70,000 and 100,000 words.

Literary: Think of literary fiction as a manifesto of sorts—it’s driven by the ideas, themes, and concerns of the novelist, often producing a narrative that is at times controversial.

The style of prose is emphasized in literary fiction, whereas a writer of mainstream fiction will often forego stylistic writing in order to get to the meat of the story. The plot isn’t the main focus in literary fiction; rather, the history, social issues, and character developments that are a part of the story take precedence. Literary fiction for new writers may match that of mainstream fiction, while the word count for seasoned novelists can fall anywhere between 40,000 and 120,000 words.

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #5774 on: March 23, 2015, 01:03:22 PM »
And this

If you’re a book lover, you’ll often hear the words ‘popular fiction’ and ‘literary fiction’ being bandied about. In all likelihood, you’ll favour one type over another. But what do these terms really mean? To me, the words sum up differing attitudes to fiction. While literary fiction aims to hold up a mirror to the human condition, popular fiction aims to entertain, to thrill, to comfort. This difference manifests itself in various ways.

Plot Popular fiction books tend to be driven by plot. They are big-hearted, bally stories that slip down as easily as punch on a summer day. Plot is less important in literary novels; often, very little happens.

Character In literary novels, the character takes centre stage. They drive the story. The reader becomes fascinated by the characters, as they reveal themselves layer by layer. They tend to be outsiders, with a murky backstory. Characters in popular fiction novels are more likely to be stock figures, whose function is to serve the plot.

Setting Places in popular fiction novels are either immediately familiar or exotic, offering the possibility of escape. In literary fiction, places take on characters of their own. Authors will often explore the foreign within the familiar, for example, the self-contained London Jewish community.

Language Literary authors use language with care. Not a word is wasted; each word packs a punch. Unusual images and metaphors abound. In popular fiction, the language is plainer, closer to everyday spoken language.

Dialogue Popular fiction is generous in its use of dialogue. Because popular fiction authors write as they speak, the dialogue rings true and is rich with the language of everyday life. Literary fiction relies more on description than dialogue. When there is dialogue, it is more like written language than spoken.

Theme In both types of fiction, there is always a danger that the novel will be bogged down by issues, that the issue will matter more than the plot or characters. In both cases, the reader will feel that they are being preached to. Both types explore relevant, interesting themes and this exploration is most effective when it is channelled through characters or plot.

In reality, both types of fiction have their own appeal. And the lines between them are becoming increasingly blurred. there are intelligent blockbusters that pack a punch. And there are literary novels that are the equivalent of a limp handshake, lacking bite and sparkle. It’s time publishers, booksellers and readers stopped thinking in such narrow, genre-based terms and learned to celebrate quality, no matter what form it comes in.

mabel1015j

« Reply #5775 on: March 23, 2015, 02:10:17 PM »
Thank you for all of this discussion, how interesting. I have often wondered how literary fiction was defined. Like Steph and Jane, and all of you, i have often had to plow thru, and sometimes give up on some "literary fiction" as well as popular fiction and on books that others "loved",  or keep reading those they look askance at. ;D

Isn't that wonderful!!! I love diversity of thought and choice.

mabel1015j

« Reply #5776 on: March 23, 2015, 02:14:16 PM »
O.k., this is weird........only half of my msg will post. The "preview" is complete, but the posting is only the first two paragraphs......i'll keep trying.

???

the rest of the msg

Even within my own reading my nightstand always has a cozy mystery, a fiction, a non-fiction and depending on my mood and circumstances a "deeper fiction".

Our church book group is reading Keep Quiet by Lisa Scottolini for discussion next Sun. I started it at the beginning of last week. I won't give anything away, but it is the kind of circumstance that any parent might find themselves in, especially through your children's teenage years. My children are way beyond teenagers, but, of course, even as adults we worry about them getting caught up in unsettling events. I had to put it down last week for i had an important event on Thurs night at which i had to make a speech which had to be coordinated with four other women's speeches. Reading the book was adding stress to the week. But i picked it up on Sat night and it's quite an interesting read, making the reader think "what would i have done at step 1, step 2, etc" as the events unroll.

It's not the typical LS "women's law firm" book. Something quite different.

Jean

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #5777 on: March 23, 2015, 06:35:44 PM »
So how do you know if your novel is literary or mainstream? Let us explain.

Barbara...interesting quote above.  Who is the "us"?  Can you give me a citation where this came from?

I'm confused about  what is meant by the word "bally"...
They are big-hearted, bally stories that slip down as easily as punch on a summer day. Plot is less important in literary novels; often, very little happens.

Perhaps it's a British term?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #5778 on: March 23, 2015, 07:11:42 PM »
One article is from the Huffington Post Book site and the other from the BBC book site -

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #5779 on: March 23, 2015, 07:12:24 PM »
Ah...ok...I'll go looking to see if I can find out the meaning of some of their terms.  Thanks.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #5780 on: March 23, 2015, 07:17:57 PM »
bally - informal intensifiers; "what a bally (or blinking) nuisance"; "a bloody fool"; "a crashing bore"; "you flaming idiot"

Steph

« Reply #5781 on: March 24, 2015, 08:44:54 AM »
As much as I have visited GB and have friends who are English.. Bally was a new term for me.. Not commonly used, I suspect .In the end,, as we age,, we read what we want, hopefully. I read a lot of stuff.. love mysteries, fantasy as well as general fiction. My only "Get away from me" fiction just now is this new passion for completely horrid characters that end up being even worse at the end..Sigh.. I know this is the New Wave... but not my wave.

MaryPage

« Reply #5782 on: March 24, 2015, 03:43:17 PM »
A woman who lives above me was no doubt feeling very magnanimous a few weeks back when she left a book, a popular book by one of those writers (female) who makes more money than anyone should writing pure trash pulp fiction for the market, in the hall below our mailboxes with a note for anyone to take it.  This author, who I do not name as I do not want to have my comments hurl darts into someones psyche, has been writing about rich folks and their sex lives and scandals of every stripe for decades now.  But the book sat there for over 3 weeks unbespoken until my neighbor finally removed it. 

I am firmly of the belief that reading ANYthing is better than not reading, albeit I do draw the line at inciteful propaganda.  Thus I applaud all readers regardless of their taste.

Literature contains GOOD writing.  Writing that emanates from an avid love of words and what they can describe.  Writers who can feel soul satisfaction if just one person sighs and says: "Now THAT is one of the most beautiful descriptions I have ever read!"  More than one would be great for the purse, but quality is a standard such a writer cannot abandon for the marketplace.

Historians remain divided in their opinions as to whether Sappho made a good living from her "songs,"  but that is actually a moot point, for truth to tell, no one knows.  What we do know is no one has ever written more exquisitely down the ages.  I feel immensely grateful that someone or some thing, somewhere along the line, stirred me to an appreciation of the art of writing.  My gratitude knows no bounds, but hey!

Here's to readers everywhere, except those who exult in hate trash lies such as The Protocols of The Elders of Zion and the rest of the long and relentless list of such like.  Reading is Good!

Frybabe

« Reply #5783 on: March 24, 2015, 04:54:17 PM »
Speaking of Sappho, MaryPage. She recently made the news. Perhaps you saw it?

http://www.livescience.com/49543-sappho-new-poems-discovery.html

ps: click on the "available online" link for the presentation which includes more pix beginning on p20 of the pdf.

MaryPage

« Reply #5784 on: March 25, 2015, 08:01:24 AM »
I did NOT see that article, Frybabe, so thanks.  I read a bit about it in one of my many magazines, though;  I think The New Yorker.  It may have been National Geographic;  I don't know.  Anyway, I fell in love with her bits and pieces way back when I was 13 or 14, and have never met her equal since.  Close, but no peer.  And when you think that what we are reading was written hundreds of years before Christianity came along AND is a translation, I shiver!

When I was that 13 and 14 year old, I could tell anyone precisely which issue and date of which magazine or newspaper I read ANYthing in!  Alas, no more;  now I quite literally cannot tell you what I had for breakfast, or even for sure whether I stopped to EAT breakfast!  So precious this brain matter, and so very fragile.

Steph

« Reply #5785 on: March 25, 2015, 08:45:04 AM »
I still struggle with why authors like John UpDyke are considered literary.. I started reading him years ago and gave it up.. Just flatout hated his take on women.. I guess I like authors who make me care about the characters , and put me into their world, when I  reemerge, I think about where I would rather be, their world or mine,, Sometimes it is hard to realize that their world does not exist except in our minds.

Tomereader1

« Reply #5786 on: March 25, 2015, 01:21:55 PM »
I may have posted this here when I read the A.J.Fikry novel.   Just my take on it!

May I heartily recommend a current fiction novel:  "The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry".  The Author's name is Gabrielle Zevin.  For booklovers like us, it is a beautiful read.  A short book, but there is so much there.  It has hilariously funny parts, sad parts, lots of literary references, and a bookstore owner who, in the beginning, is about as irascible and opinated as one can be.  Upon his first meeting with Sales Rep from Knightley Press, Fikry is saying "this is not for me".   She tells him, "I'd like the chance to get to know your tastes".  "Like" he repeats with distaste.  "How about I tell you what I don't like?  I do not like postmodernism, postapocalyptic settings, postmortem narrators, or magic realism.  I rarely respond to supposedly clever formal devices, multiple fonts, pictures where they shouldn't be--basically gimmicks of any kind.  I find literary fiction about the Holocaust or any other major  world tragedy to be distasteful--non fiction only, please. I do not like genre mash-ups a la the literary detective novel or the literary fantasy.  Literary should be literary, and genre should be genre, and crossbreeding rarely results in anything satisfying.  I do not like children's books, especially ones with orphans, and I prefer not to clutter my shelves with young adult.  I do not like anything over four hundred pages or under one hundred fifty pages. I am repulsed by ghostwritten novels by reality television stars, celebrity picture books, sports memoirs movie tie-in editions, novelty items and--I imagine this goes without saying--vampires.  I rarely stock debuts, chick lit, poetry, or translations.  I would prefer not to stock series, but the demands of my pocketbook require me to".
And so on.  This, alone, should guarantee that at least one of us has at least specified one of these criteria in our book choices, or the choices of our book groups!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

MaryPage

« Reply #5787 on: March 25, 2015, 01:57:40 PM »
I think he is a bit cranky and full of himself, I really do.  An awful lot of what he does not care for I do not care for either, yet to live a life without poetry would be to lose so much exquisite beauty.  I have two whole bookshelves chock full of poetry books, and what's more, those shelves are two books deep!

I read tons of translations, in fact, I just finished one by Jo Nesbo, and children's books are my very favorite genre of all!  And imagine never reading a young adult!  To have missed out on Harry Potter!  Or Cynthia Voight, Lois Lowry or Madeliene L'Engle!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #5788 on: March 25, 2015, 04:05:32 PM »
Sally great devise for character description without once describing his appearance or background - love it - and too some of his taste is similar to mine and some of it is not  - like MaryPage I too love poetry and children's books which may be why I like magic realism that to me is nothing more than grown up fairytales  and yes, have to agree all the novels built on historical tragedy or personal abuse oh dear.

Steph

« Reply #5789 on: March 26, 2015, 09:03:40 AM »
I loved the description and really saw it as a wonderful way of introducing him.. I love and read a lot of things he did not and as you get into the novel, you realize he carried a wide variety of things. As a matter of fact, I dislike short stories mostly, but do read them. I like some poets, but not all,,love young adult mostly..It just made him real from the beginning for me.

Tomereader1

« Reply #5790 on: March 27, 2015, 06:09:33 PM »
What are you reading?  I have the new Anne Tyler, and it's making me soooo mad.  Talk about dysfunctional families!  These are a whole group of dysfunctional people, passing themselves off as "family".  Have yet to find one character (well, maybe one) that has any redeeming value.  But yet I persist...I'm over the 100 page mark, and can't seem to put it down.  My weary brain just made a connection....it's all about "choices" that people make in their lives, and some that are made for them.  (Doesn't that sound "literary"?)  BTW the title is "A Spool of Blue Thread".  I did finish it, see that part of this post over on Srs&Friends in Library
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #5791 on: March 28, 2015, 08:47:03 AM »
I like Anne Tyler, but must be in the exact right mood for her. I grew up in Delaware and she writes about Baltimore and the eastern shore, so quite a lot, I know where she is going...
Reading.. Just finished the Loeb-Leopold book..Actually after reading it, am disappointed, that he got out on parole.. Not a nice human, ever, he simply did what he figured would get him out.. Bah..
Picked up The Dead in Their Vaulted ARches by Alan Bradley, I do like Flavia.. was startled as to how many I had missed, so Thrift books made out for me with a new supply of the books inbetween.

mabel1015j

« Reply #5792 on: March 31, 2015, 01:08:57 AM »
Finished The Darling Dahlias and the Confederate Rose, the third in Susan Albert's Darling Dahlia series. I like her description of living in a small town in the 1930s because it's not so different as my childhood in the 1940s, but i'd like a good story with the descriptions. This was a disappointing book, altho most of the Amazon reviewers liked it better than i did.

For me there was way too much descriptions of everything: people's appearance, houses, streets, etc. the story itself could have been written in about 100 pages. Maybe Albert needs to take a break from writing, she seemed to have run out of steam. This, from one who liked a lot of her mystery books.

Jean

Steph

« Reply #5793 on: March 31, 2015, 08:59:29 AM »
I love the Herb books, but not so the Darling Dahlias..Decided to take a break and read some fantasy.. The Bane Chronicles. Fun and vivid.

marjifay

« Reply #5794 on: April 01, 2015, 10:33:04 PM »
Thanks much, Barb, for your post about literary fiction. 

And MaryPage, I wish I could like poetry as you do.  I've tried but have a hard time understanding most of it.  I remember memorizing some poems when I was a teenager, mainly because I like their sound, like Poe's The Raven.  And I loved Eugene Field's Little Boy Blue (it still brings tears to my eyes).  But any of the modern poems I just can't care for them. 

Same with short stories. I can't think of one I liked.  So now I just skip them.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #5795 on: April 02, 2015, 08:49:01 AM »
When I think about it,, I too like the older poets, most of whom are dead now.. The current crop, not so much.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #5796 on: April 09, 2015, 08:18:21 PM »
I always liked poetry, but I got a much better handle on it when I read a textbook written by a cousin, which kind of alerted me to what to look for.  I doubt I would have passed his course, but he enriched my life.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #5797 on: April 09, 2015, 08:18:50 PM »
For the next book discussion, if we get enough people, I propose to discuss the first book of Sigrid Undset’s great trilogy, Kristin Lavransdatter.  If you’re interested, come and tell us HERE  

If you’re not sure, come on over and watch, and we’ll talk you into it.  It’s a really good read.

Steph

« Reply #5798 on: April 10, 2015, 08:32:18 AM »
no, simply will not be around. I did read the trilogy( Ithink it was three) and liked some of it.. not all however.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #5799 on: April 10, 2015, 10:14:38 AM »
Kristin Lavransdatter has been talked about for a possible discussion many times here at SeniorLearn.  This sounds like a wonderful chance to read it and have great people with whom to discuss it!

jane