Author Topic: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!  (Read 187504 times)

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
Re: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!
« Reply #520 on: May 01, 2014, 01:36:42 PM »

Please post and introduce yourself!  We're looking forward to getting to know you.

Click on the Discussion Index on the menubar near the top of every page to see what we offer: [/font][/size]

Latin Courses Information: Click Here

Wow, Jackie, that sounds like a real challenge for you.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #521 on: May 01, 2014, 03:05:50 PM »
Welcome home, Jackie!!

So sorry to hear of your balance problems.  Hey,as my FIL would say. "Your gyro is off center!".

I have had similar problems over the last 18 months caused from falling
and hurting my head and my neck 3 times.  Ain't life grand?  :-\  ::) ::) ::)

"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #522 on: May 01, 2014, 03:59:04 PM »
JACKIE: so sorry to hear that.

I use a walker when I'm not in my wheelchair. One problem is that you can't carry anything. I've gotten various devices to hang on it (a bag on one walker, a kind of shelf/basket on another) to help with that.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #523 on: May 01, 2014, 06:13:52 PM »
Ha!  The same Jackie is back!  WELCOME Home!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #524 on: May 02, 2014, 10:29:32 AM »
JoanK, while we(SL Books) were visiting Charleston in 2005 or 06, Ginger had a walker that had a seat on it.  Very handy for when she became tired. :)
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #525 on: May 02, 2014, 12:09:21 PM »
Hello, Mrs. Sherlock, how lovely to see you again.  Welcome back, we've missed you!
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

mrssherlock

« Reply #526 on: May 02, 2014, 01:47:07 PM »
How humiliating it is to learn that the stiff upper lip heroine is only as close as the printed page.  Raving and ranting, tears, melancholy,  I could go on and on listing my short comings.  The most maddening loss is that of not picking up what I've dropped since I'm always dropping something.  Life, however, goes on.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #527 on: May 02, 2014, 06:16:41 PM »
Jackie: I can see by your picture that you're doing a good job of raving and ranting.  ;) Maybe we should have a contest (a rant - off) to see which of us does better. But I've had longer to practice -- I'd beat you!

Seriously, I've found that laughing at yourself is the best way to handle things. (Sometimes screaming and banging on the wall helps, too).

Even more seriously, I was born with a handicap, so I grew up figuring how to do with difficulty things that everyone else does easily. I thought I was pretty good at it (HA!) but as my problems progressed through the years, from cane to walker to wheelchair, each time I had to go through the "Oh woe is me" phase of ranting and depression. But each time, so far, I've been able to pull myself out, and get to the "seeing it as problems to be solved" stage. Sometimes, I've used anti-depressants to help.

My solutions aren't always the best. I've been able to afford (barely) a part-time caretaker and I tend to rely on her to do things that would take only a little bit more effort to do for myself. But at least I'm happy, and only cry once a week (just kidding!)

But I HATE it when I drop things, and my stupid grabber won't pick them up!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #528 on: May 02, 2014, 11:19:23 PM »
Ladies, ladies!  There are wonderful tools available for helping one to pick up whatever they drop.  Call one of your medical supply stores.  They usually carry this and more stuff for those of us who don't get around like we use to.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #529 on: May 03, 2014, 10:11:24 AM »
When I had hip surgery, I got two grabbers.  One was the "grabber".  The other was the "grabber grabber", for picking up the grabber when I dropped it.  When I dropped the grabber grabber, I was in trouble. ;)

JoanK is right; grabbers won't pick up heavy books.

Frybabe

« Reply #530 on: May 03, 2014, 11:07:16 AM »
What we need to do is figure out how to get one of those small sized robot arms you always see on the industrial how do they do it programs or in research labs to attach to a chair. Reasonably priced, of course - ah, there is the catch.

I would never have thought of having a second grabber to pick up the first one, PatH.

mrssherlock

« Reply #531 on: May 03, 2014, 11:21:02 AM »
You need to have a grabber in each room if you cannot carry them.  The darn things are hard to place, lean one against the chair and it will fall over with the slightest air movement.  What did we do before grabbers?
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #532 on: May 03, 2014, 12:43:12 PM »
If we had one in each room, I would find a way to put it in a different place, unconsciously, of course.  Like when you wander as you use phone.  I leave glasses of water, my glasses, whatever I was reading, all over the place, when I wander while using the phone.  In fact, I can do that without using the phone!  :D :D

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #533 on: May 03, 2014, 04:52:21 PM »
My helper is always neatly putting my grabbers away (where I can't reach them). I need a grabber grabber too.

But grabbers have a built-in flaw. If you remember your elementary physics (of course you do!), you know why lifting a book with a grabber takes all your strength.

Frybabe

« Reply #534 on: May 10, 2014, 07:33:57 AM »
This morning, while cruising Seniors and Friends, I ran across a pix of Eloise and her daugther, Isabelle, that Shirley had posted back in 2010. I still think of Eloise on occasion.

http://www.seniorsandfriends.org/v/Shirley/Eloise+and+Isabelle.JPG.html

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #535 on: May 10, 2014, 08:00:44 AM »
That's a lovely picture, Frybabe, thanks for posting it.  I was just thinking of her 2 days ago.

Pam55

« Reply #536 on: June 28, 2014, 04:24:14 PM »
I can't wait to start Latin class.  In the meantime I'm trying to lean a bit about the site - like where and how to post a message.
I have not studied Latin but have always wanted to.  I took a leave of absence from work several years ago to care for my mother full time. While rewarding, it's not exactly stimulating. I figured studying Latin would be fun and engaging. I've been working a bit on my own. I'm most excited about reading Medieval and Ecclesiastical Latin. Ok - I'll hit post and see if this works.  Thanks. :)

Pam55

« Reply #537 on: June 28, 2014, 04:40:10 PM »
continuing my introductory post (above) ... My name is Pamela and I'm from Alabama. I'm not sure what other discussion threads might be useful re. Latin. Does anyone have any suggestions for preparing for the first course?  Books to recommend?  Vocabulary? Study hints?  I'd love to hear from you what your experience with the Latin class has been like.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #538 on: June 28, 2014, 05:17:07 PM »
Hi, Pamela...

Welcome to SeniorLearn and it sounds as if you'll be interested in joining our Latin 101 class.

I do the enrollment for that, so I'll be glad to add your name to the list to be notified when enrollment opens.

EDIT: I see I already have you on my "to be notified list."  Good for you getting your username in place.  You'll need that for enrollment time!

I'll be doing that about mid July.  There will then be an Orientation for those new to our Latin program that will begin the day after Labor Day, Sept. 2.  The actual class will begin with Ginny, the Latin Instructor, on Sept. 8.

There is a lot of information available about the classes here:

http://www.seniorlearn.org/classics/

and

http://www.seniorlearn.org/classics/courses/descriptions.html

The text you will need is explained there as is the class set up, the cost, etc.

We also have a Latin Information discussion for those interested in learning about the class.

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=170.0

I can email you a list of books that the Instructor suggests for those who wish to start their exploration early.

jane

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #539 on: June 29, 2014, 05:05:21 PM »
WELCOME. And while you're waiting, check out our book discussions.

Ethannah1902

• Diane
« Reply #540 on: July 10, 2014, 11:18:15 PM »
I'm looking forward to learning Latin and I am chatting online , while playing Words With Friends, with my friend Becky about signing up as well.
Why do I want to learn Latin? I am a Traditional Catholic who would like to read my prayer book on the "Latin side of the page."
Diane

Ethannah1902

• Diane
« Reply #541 on: July 10, 2014, 11:20:30 PM »
How do I post a photo?
Diane

BeckiC

« Reply #542 on: July 11, 2014, 01:31:37 AM »
Hi.
I was invited by my friend to take the Latin course. Thank you Diane. She also tempted me with news of a book club as well. The first book, "The Greater Journey-Americans In Paris" sounds very interesting. I enjoy reading and discussing a really good book with others.

I am looking forward to a fun and hopefully not too challenging year ahead with the Latin course. Any suggestions on materials to get me started in the right direction when it comes to the Latin course would be greatly appreciated. I have minimal experience with it.
Thank you.
Becki

Frybabe

« Reply #543 on: July 11, 2014, 06:32:10 AM »
Welcome to Pamela, Diane and Becky. I know you will enjoy the Latin classes. I do. Please don't feel shy about joining any of our other discussion groups as well.

PS: The most helpful books when I started Latin were, and still are, a good Latin dictionary (I am currently using Collins Latin Concise Dictionary), The Big Gold Book of Latin Verbs (or any book of fully conjugated verbs), and The Everything Learning Latin Book by Richarde E. Prior, Ph.D. Helper books are always somewhat subjective owing to the writer's style and the reader's preferences. I like to browse in a physical bookstore for my Latin "helper" books rather that look online for that reason.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #544 on: July 11, 2014, 01:44:33 PM »
Hi, Ethanna and Becki!

Ethanna...to post a picture, you'll need to have it at a third site...I use Photobucket because it's free...or the webspace my own ISP gives me.

Then, get the coding for that picture and post the coding here.

We don't do a lot of photos directly, but do post links so others can look at them at their convenience and not slow down those on older computers.

Becki...I see you've posted in the Latin Classes Info discussion, so I'll get you on my "to notify" list.

I'll open enrollment for Sept. classes in about a week now.  It will be announced here in the Newsline and in the Latin Classes Information discussion.

hullwmr

« Reply #545 on: July 15, 2014, 04:50:33 PM »
Hello everyone-My name is William Hull although most people call me Bill.  I'm 73 married with two grown sons and one grandson and live in Sharpsburg, MD.  It is known for the civil war battle of Antietam.  Classical music has become a major involvement in my life in later years and I play the flute and harp.  My two dogs are a continuing source of joy and thanksgiving.  I have a background in theology and Near Eastern Languages.  Since I have had contact with Koine Greek I thought it would be interesting to study classical Greek and also Latin.  So I am here with you to learn and have fun.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #546 on: July 15, 2014, 04:54:41 PM »
Hi, Bill!!

Thanks for the introduction here, and also please go to our Orientation Room and post.  I'll post the link here for you.

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=178.0

We're looking forward to you joining us in the Latin classes!!

Frybabe

« Reply #547 on: July 16, 2014, 07:35:52 AM »
Welcome, BillH

I hope you will join us in some of our discussion groups if you have time and interest.

We have a sister site that includes "Classical Corner", if you'd like to join us over there. You'll find it under Leisure Activities. www.seniorsandfriends.org

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #548 on: July 16, 2014, 04:59:24 PM »
WELCOME WELCOME BILL. Glad to see another classical music lover. What kind of music do you love most? (I like chamber music)

You may want to check out the classical music discussion on our sister site "Seniors and friends." We join together to listen and discuss a classical music program given by one of our members on Sundays as well as discus our other music experiences.

http://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?topic=1693.8430

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #549 on: July 18, 2014, 09:06:29 PM »
Welcome Bill. I'm in awe that you know near Eastern languages AND that you play the flute and harp. Those are two beautiful instruments. I hope that  you'll participate in some of our book discussions as well as the Latin class.

Ethannah1902

• Diane
« Reply #550 on: July 29, 2014, 08:35:56 PM »
Becki!
Go to the discussion page in our Latin class and meet the fascinating people that we will be learning with. Oh, and as you read about the accomplishments of some of these fine folks think about how my cousin said  he didn't need to take Latin to "appear smarter."
Diane

mmahoney

• w II
« Reply #551 on: July 31, 2014, 09:23:14 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here so I'm feeling my way around. I took four years of French in high school and always regretted not having taken Latin. I managed to take a summer night course at a local college in Latin five years ago and would I like to do more.

I'm 65 yrs old and a retired engineer and have always had a lifelong love of learning. I love the classics and ancient/medieval history and find it easier now to study on my own and at my own pace.

I live in Massachusetts just south of Boston in an area we call the South Shore. There are plenty of colleges around here but very few offer Latin as a course so I think this online course is great.

I look forward to this new endeavor and new friends.

Margaret (Peg) Mahoney

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #552 on: July 31, 2014, 09:51:50 PM »
Welcome, Peg.    It's good to see you posting here!!

jane

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #553 on: August 01, 2014, 03:50:57 PM »
WELCOME PEG! What classic would you like to read for our next classics discussion?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #554 on: August 03, 2014, 05:39:24 PM »
Welcome, Peg. I'm glad you found us. I hope you'll enjoy your Latin class as well as some of our book discussions.

Dennis

« Reply #555 on: August 04, 2014, 02:38:27 PM »
classical music....  as they say....  "if it ain't baroque, don't play it"

which book ?   my target book is Newton's PhilosophiƦ Naturalis Principia Mathematica

But that will take a few years of latin before I am up to it.

I found these that look interesting for my  start:
http://flavorwire.com/155717/your-favorite-childrens-books-translated-into-latin

Virent Ova! Virent Perna!! (green eggs and Ham in latin) is more my target the first year.
Dennis

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #556 on: August 04, 2014, 03:50:30 PM »
DENNIS: "if it ain't baroque, don't play it". I'm with you if you'll let me sneak in Mozart.

BeckiC

« Reply #557 on: August 04, 2014, 04:23:58 PM »
Diane, I am impressed. I feel like I went down the wrong rabbit hole though. :)
This course is going to be fantastic. I just feel it.
I like the link to children's books in Latin. So thanks to the gentleman who shared that.
Looking forward to studying with everyone.
BeckiC

Dennis

« Reply #558 on: August 04, 2014, 04:38:29 PM »
I also like  Gregorian chants in Latin.  But I never know what they are saying.  Perhaps after these classes.....

Dennis

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #559 on: August 04, 2014, 05:22:16 PM »
BeckiC, I hope we'll see you in the non-Latin Class side of this site too.  You and I have a number of things in common.

I've got Winnie ille Pooh somewhere, don't know if it's still available.

Dennis, JoanK was referring to the occasional book discussions we have of English translations of Greek and Roman literature.  Among others, we've done the Iliad, the Odyssey, selections from Plutarch (that was heavy going, but rewarding) and several Greek plays featuring strong women.  It's about time for another.