Author Topic: Holiday Memories Open House  (Read 31989 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Holiday Memories Open House
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2011, 12:58:11 PM »

Holiday Memories - Our 2011 Open House!
Stop by and share the Holiday with all the good friends on Senior Learn

We want to hear about your favorite Holiday memory. Hi, come on in, make yourself comfortable and share your memories with us - Welcome to our month long Open House on Dec.1  T'is the season to wax nostalgic about all the Holidays you celebrate this time of year..

Every party needs MUSIC!  Here is a Mix of Christmas songs.

"4 AWESOME Christmas Songs"

When you were young was there a Holiday play with music in your school?
Do you find yourself humming a particular tune when you are shopping or out walking?
Who is your favorite holiday singing artist?

What's a party without GOODIES?
Let's fill this buffet table with your favorites!

What's your best ever Holiday recipe and tell us the story behind it?
What are you planning for a Holiday treat this year?

Are there special Cookbooks you pull out this time of year?
Tell us, do you set a special table or treat yourself to a special Tea or a bottle of Wine?

Did you ever send a package to a Service Man or Women for the Holidays or serve in a Soup Kitchen - tell us about it if you have. When you were young did you ever attend a Red Cross Holiday dance for servicemen? Did any of you help out at a hospital during the holidays?

What were some of the toys you received? Do you remember a special time with a family member during the holidays?  

Was there an Open House you attended when you were young? How about when you were an adult...or was there an office party that you really looked forward to attending?

Does your town have a Community Christmas Tree?
Have you ever visited the tree in Rockefeller Center?

And what's a gathering of BOOK LOVERS without Books? We all have our seasonal favorite STORIES and POEMS. What are yours?  

What seasonal stories do you still plan to read for the first time? Do you remember the Holiday stories you read to your children?

Can you remember attending your first Holiday movie in a theater?
What about the Nutcracker, is that or singing with a group, Handel's Messiah on your calendar?
Did you look forward each year to a special Holiday movie or show on TV?  

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2011, 01:41:10 PM »
I just read all of the posts that are here and found myself back in the olden golden days of recalled Christmases.
First off, in 2nd grade,  I was one of the 3 Kings which meant that my mother had to come up with a costume.  She took an old chenille bedspread and cut out a robe for me and dyed it purple or maroon. She was in such a hurry (as time was of the essence,I didn't tell her I needed it until 2 days before the play) that she just put it in a large grocery bag and sent me to school with it for the pageant.  Can't remember what she used for a crown but I carried the myrrh.  So I put the robe on and everyone realized that it was way too long!  So, I bundled up one side over my arm and with my crown trying to leave my head and my myrrh spilling little  grains of ??????myrrh or sand?? all across the desert,  I followed my fellow kings onto the stage singing "We Three of Orient Are".  That costume was the heaviest thing I've ever wore in my grade school career. Tee hee! ::)

My second appearance in the school Christmas pageant was, as the Angel Gabriel who visited Mary to tell her of her miraculous pregnancy. Have you read all that the angel announces?  Its pretty long for a 3rd grader but I had no problem remembering it.  It was in my genes! I don't remember how my mom dressed me that year but it was probably in one of her night gowns, bleached whiter than it was to begin with (she loved bleach!) and then a sash made from some golden leftover materiel (she was a seamstress in training).  Did I have wings?  I don't recall?  Did I have sandals on my bare feet?  Maybe!  I just remember that I didn't make an error in my announcement to Mary or trip over my sash!
The girl who played Mary and I attended a reunion of our grade school last year.  We have been friends since 1st grade.  70 years!  My gosh, how time flies! ;D
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2011, 01:51:28 PM »
Barb,
Due to Amberlaine's vacation, it looks like we will be here 'til the 20th?  
I couldn't open your link but found another story of Austin's decorating somewhere on the net (I didn't bookmark it) and enjoyed seeing 6 slides of the decorated trees.  OOOOKAAAAY, I will search it out and place it here for anyone else who can't open your link.

http://paulak.hubpages.com/hub/Random-Tree-Decorating

Your description of the rain was just beautiful!  And aren't you getting more rain later in the week? Maybe it will be a true downpour!  I can't imagine Lakes Austin and Travis at 45 feet below their normal levels.  Just too sad! Who is the God of Rain or water??? Looking it up!  Here he is (not the guy at the top).  Tlaloc is further down the page:  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tlaloc
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2011, 02:21:24 PM »
I left here to read my mail at Yahoo and found this article:  Hope you enjoy reading it.  Its quite interesting.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/6-holiday-traditions-fading-into-obscurity.html

CallieOK

« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2011, 02:46:35 PM »
MaryPage, those look like fun!   (love the link tiitle "notmartha.org"!)

MaryPage

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2011, 02:54:11 PM »
My cousins and I all remembered our surprise balls as being the most fun thing about Christmas.  Now my children and grandchildren say the same.  I am too old to make them any longer, so the grandchildren have to make them for my great grandchildren.  As my children got older, I put more and more valuable things in them.  By the time they were in college, a surprise ball could cost me as much as two hundred dollars!

bluebird24

Steph
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2011, 03:45:11 PM »
do you know the words to We three kings of orient are?

bluebird24

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2011, 03:50:11 PM »
BarbStAubre
thank you for The Fairies poem and the youtube Tran Siberian orchestra!

bluebird24

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2011, 03:52:05 PM »
MaryPage
I love the surprise balls!
Thank you:)

MaryPage

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2011, 04:17:07 PM »
We three kings of Orient are
Bearing gifts we traverse afar
Field and fountain, moor and mountain
Following yonder star

O Star of wonder, star of night
Star with royal beauty bright
Westward leading, still proceeding
Guide us to thy Perfect Light

Born a King on Bethlehem's plain
Gold I bring to crown Him again
King forever, ceasing never
Over us all to rein

Guide us to Thy perfect light

Frankincense to offer have I
Incense owns a Deity nigh
Pray'r and praising, all men raising
Worship Him, God most high

Myrrh is mine, its bitter perfume
Breathes of life of gathering gloom
Sorrowing, sighing, bleeding, dying
Sealed in the stone-cold tomb

Glorious now behold Him arise
King and God and Sacrifice
Alleluia, Alleluia
Earth to heav'n replies

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2011, 05:21:29 PM »
When I was a child, I could not understand why the old people in the family seemed to get sad around Christmas time. Mary Page

I know the feeling, Mary Page.  We remember those dear faces from our childhood more than ever at this time of year.  Hard to believe they are gone.  And then there are the faces of our own children and the excitement in the house during the entire season.   We can't sit and mope that those days are gone, that those children are grown - and gone.  We need to fill our lives with new traditions, or at least with new activities.

Today my youngest phoned from London to say that he wasn't coming home until the days AFTER Christmas as planned.  Instead will spend Christmas with a young lady he met in London - and her family. (!)

He'll be home before New Year's though -  and is planning a big family celebration on New Year's Eve with the entire family - Bruce and myself, his  three brothers and their families too. 
Rosemary, he  wants to celebrate Hogmanay - did I spell that right?  He's named after his Scottish grandmother and there are a number of the young ones in the family also bearing the McGregor name.  Have you ever heard of Hogmanay?  As far as I understand, it is celebrated on New Year's Eve in Edinburgh.  I thought you'd be just the person to ask.

If I get my act together, I may put together some of those surprise balls for the little ones.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2011, 05:30:46 PM »
MaryPage you have my brain going - I think a surprise ball is in order this year for my stocking stuffer's - now to figure out what to put in them - coins are an easy answer but guys - oh and your bookcase - what a wonderful gift - do you have the backstory on how they decided this gift for you - did your parents know?

There was something magical about our trees when we were young wasn't there - yes, the German made ornaments, some decorated with fine human hair and the light bulbs were not the tiny dots of the past few years.

I remember with visiting cousins and even just my sister laying on our tummies under the tree and playing when we shouldn't with the manger being sure to put it all back just right with the color lights making it a separate world - and we played such simple games like choosing an ornament and 20 questions others ask to figure out which ornament we chose - some times it was so easy because we knew which ornament was that person's favorite and inevitably that was the one they chose.

Good for you - I bet you knew Three Kings by heart and did not have to cut and paste it from some outside site.

Bluebird so glad to see your posts - thanks glad you enjoyed some of the links - are you planning something special for yourself during the next few holiday weeks? Do you put up a tree? Few of us do any longer but the memories as Ann says are part of who we are.

Ann an Angle - and a King - oh my - you hit the Jackpot didn't you - and yes our drought is something - when you realize most of us live in houses with 8 foot ceilings and then another foot or so between floors if it is a two story house you can better realize what 45 feet means to a river that usually is a full lake. One of our concerns now is we are loosing so many trees and if a wind continues to come out of West Texas as it does every Spring how many power lines will be toppled. It is not quite but getting to look more like El Paso around here with everyone putting gravel down where there used to be front lawn.

Sorry you could not access the YouTube -your photos are fun but a drop in the bucket with 1000s of trees decorated and many with unique creative decorations recycling roadside trash. There is no electricity on these hillsides so any tree that may have lights is using some sort of battery powered lighting.

Well I just broke down and made an unplanned for purchase - all and I mean all my Christmas CDs are gone - I have searched every nook and cranny - even called my daughter thinking I brought some with me and left them there - and so I find a few of my favorites as resale on Amazon and a few that they still had new - they won't be here till Tuesday but that is OK because I still celebrate the Feast of St. Nickolas by bringing out all the Christmas books and the decorations -

Picked up a pre-made wreathe last night that I will tie to the mailbox on Tuesday. Now I really need to get with it and start organizing around here - it is just too tempting though to stand with coffee in hand and stare out the window at the rain falling and the deer scattered all over the yard - there are 9 of them back there now including a buck with a nice rack -

Till later...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

MaryPage

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2011, 06:59:49 PM »
I suggest those who want to do Surprise Balls do this:

Figure out who you want to give them to.

Set up a box for the tiny gifts.  In the box, put a zip loc bag for each person with their name on their baggie.  A stick on label will do the trick.

Shop for a Whole Year:  looking everywhere you go.  As I stated, a little girl who has a doll house is the most fun to buy for.

Look for miniatures of all sorts for the older children.  Those tiny little china and/or glass animals in Hallmark stores and other gift stores are very popular as keepsakes.  College kids like stamps and money.  Things that come in those little aluminum and/or plastic envelopes are easy to add to the balls, as well.  These come with everything from face creams to instant drinks in them.

Barbara, I have no idea about the bookcase.  I was an only child of divorce and living with my dad and a housekeeper/nanny.  We were stationed at West Point that year, where my dad had graduated in 1925, and he was teaching Physics.  This was 1936.  The bookcase would have been purchased in Manhattan, where my aunt and uncle lived at that time, and shipped up to West Point.  I would not have had a clue if I saw the box prior to Christmas.  I imagine they forewarned my dad to expect it.  I doubt he was consulted, as this particular aunt, his younger sister, had a mind of her own, bless her.  The reason for the bookcase?  I lived for my books, even then.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2011, 07:44:06 PM »
Bluebird, it's good to see you here.  What's the best part of Christmas for you?

nlhome

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2011, 09:17:14 PM »
Wow, I wish I had read about the surprise balls before going shopping today. What a neat idea. May have to wait until next year, though.

Shopping today was sad - I could not get in the mood. Too many other things going on, maybe? Couldn't even find anyting in Barnes & Noble!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2011, 12:32:32 AM »
With all this talk of oranges in stockings it reminded me of this lovely from John Henry Faulk

OK I hope this is a treat - it is for me - John Henry Faulk is from Austin - born and raised in a house South of the River that the family turned into a marvelous upscale restaurant called Green Pastures

In the next post is a Christmas Story written by Flaulk in the colloquial southern vowel-heavy storytelling that was typically heard up through the 1970s before the Chamber of Commerce helped the world find and kick a wide door to prosperity by setting up shop here in Central Texas the chosen town for the Capitol of Texas back before we attached ourselves to the US when Texas was its own nation.

John Henry Faulk, as American as they come had his career cut off by the nitwits in Congress who accused him of being a Commie during the rush to judgment by the House on Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) (1938–1975)

Our main public library building is named after John Henry and here is a delicious bit of history - at the time in Austin there were three influential men - Roy Bedicheck, a naturalist, J. Frank Dobie, a folklorist, and Walter Prescott Webb, a historian - they would often gather near a big rock in Zilker Park near the diving board over the natural creek fed swimming hole. There is a statue commemorating their almost daily philosophizing. John Henry often participated when he was back in Austin from his work in New York and Hollywood - Although he is not included in the statue we all know his spirit is there.

This Christmas story has a similar ring to the way all these men wrote as they tried to give us a window to early Texas and its people
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2011, 12:34:35 AM »
'Christmas Story'
by John Henry Faulk

The day after Christmas a number of years ago, I was driving down a country road in Texas. And it was a bitter cold, cold morning. And walking ahead of me on the gravel road was a little bare-footed boy with non-descript ragged overalls and a makeshift sleeved sweater tied around his little ears. I stopped and picked him up. Looked like he was about 12 years old and his little feet were blue with the cold. He was carrying an orange.

And he got in and had the brightest blue eyes one ever saw. And he turned a bright smile on my face and says, "I'm-a going down the road about two miles to my cousins. I want to show him my orange old Santa Claus brought me." But I wasn't going to mention Christmas to him because I figured he came from a family — the kind that don't have Christmas. But he brought it up himself. He said, "Did old Santa Claus come to see you, Mister?" And I said, "Yes. We had a real nice Christmas at our house and I hope you had the same."

He paused for a moment, looked at me. And then with all the sincerity in the world said, "Mister, we had the wonderfulest Christmas in the United States down to our place. Lordy, it was the first one we ever had had there. See, we never do have them out there much. Don't notice when Christmastime comes. We heared about it, but never did have one 'cause — well, you know, it's just papa says that old Santa Claus — papa hoorahs a lot and said old Santa Claus was scared to bring his reindeer down into our section of the county because folks down there so hard up that they liable to catch one of his reindeer and butcher him for meat. But just several days before Christmas, a lady come out from town and she told all the families through there, our family, too, that they was — old Santa Claus was come in town to leave some things for us and if papa'd go in town, he could get some Christmastime for all of us. And papa hooked up the mule and wagon. He went in town. But he told us children, said, "Now don't ya'll get all worked up and excited because there might not be nothing to this yarn that lady told."

And—but, shucks, she hadn't got out of sight up the lane there till we was done a-watching for him to come back. We couldn't get our minds on nothing else, you know. And mama, she'd come to the door once in a while and say, "Now ya'll quit that looking up the lane because papa told you there might not be nothing." And — but long about the middle of the afternoon, well, we heared the team a-jangling harness a-coming and we ran out in the front yard, and Ernie, my little brother, called out and said, "Yonder come papa." And here come them mules just in a big trot, you know, and papa standing upright in the bed of that wagon holding two big old chickens, all the feathers picked off. And he was just yelling, "Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas." And the team stopped right in front of the gate. And all us children just went a-swarming out there like a flock of chichis, you know, and just a-crawling over that wagon and a-looking in.

And, Mister, I wish you could have seen what was in that wagon. It's bags of stripety candy and apples and oranges and sacks of flour and some real coffee, you know, and just all tinselly and pretty and we couldn't say nothing. Just kind of held our breath and looked at it, you know. And papa standing there just waving them two chickens, a-yelling, "Merry Christmas to you. Merry Christmas to you," and a-laughing that big old grin on his face. And mama, she come a-hurrying out with the baby in her arms, you know. And when she looked in that wagon, she just stopped, and then papa, he dropped them two chickens and reached and caught the baby out of her arms, you know, and held him up and said, "Merry Christmas to you, Santa Claus." And baby, little old Alvie Lee, he just laughed like he knowed it was Christmas, too, you know. And mama, she started telling us the name of all of them nuts. They wasn't just peanuts. They was — she had names for all of them. She — mama knows a heap of things like that. She'd seen that stuff before, you know? And we was, all of us, just a-chattering and a-going on at the same time, us young'uns, a-looking in there.

And all of a sudden, we heared papa call out, "Merry Christmas to you, Sam Jackson." And we stopped and looked. And here comes Sam Jackson a-leading that old cripple-legged mule of his up the lane. And papa said, "Sam Jackson, did you get in town to get some Christmas this year?" Sam Jackson, you know, he sharecrops over there across the creek from our place. And he shook his head and said, "Well, no, sir, Mister. Well, I didn't go in town. I heared about that, but I didn't know it was for colored folks, too. I thought it was just for you white families." All of a sudden, none of us children were saying nothing. Papa, he looked down at mama and mama looked up at him and they didn't say nothing, like they don't a heap of times, but they know what the other one's a-thinking. They're like that, you know. And all of a sudden, papa, he broke out in a big grin again. He said, "Dad-blame-it, Sam Jackson, it's a sure a good thing you come by here. Lord have mercy, I liked to forgot. Old Santa Claus would have me in court if he heared about this. The last thing he asked me if I lived out here near you. Said he hadn't seen you around and said he wanted me to bring part of this out here to you and your family, your woman and your children."

Well, sir, Sam Jackson, he broke out in a big grin. Papa says, "I'll tell you what to do. You get your wife and children and you come down here tomorrow morning. It's going to be Christmastime all day long. Come early and stay late." Sam Jackson said, "You reckon?" And mama called out to him and said, "Yes, and you tell your wife to be sure and bring some pots and pans because we're going to have a heap of cookin' to do and I ain't sure I've got enough to take care of all of it." Well, sir, old Sam Jackson, he started off a-leading that mule up the lane in a full trot, you know, and he was a-heading home to get the word to his folks and his children, you know.

And next morning, it just — you remember how it was yesterday morning, just rosy red and looked like Christmastime. It was cold, but you didn't notice the cold, you know, when the sun just come up, just all rosy red. And us young'uns were all out of bed before daylight seemed like, just running in the kitchen and smelling and looking. And it was all there sure enough. And here come Sam Jackson and his team and his wife and his five young'uns in there. And they's all lookin' over the edge. And we run out and yelled, "Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas." And papa said, "Christmas gift to you, Sam Jackson. Ya'll come on in." And they come in and mama and Sister Jackson, they got in the kitchen and they started a-cooking things up. And us young'uns started playing Christmastime. And it's a lot of fun, you know. We'd just play Christmas Gift with one another and run around and around the house and just roll in the dirt, you know, and then we started playing Go Up To The Kitchen Door And Smell. And we'd run up and smell inside that kitchen door where mama and Sister Jackson was a-cooking at, and then we'd just die laughing and roll in the dirt, you know, and go chasing around and playing Christmas Gift.

And we played Christmastime till we just wore ourselves out. And papa and Sam Jackson—they put a table up and put some sheets over it, some boards up over some sawhorses. And everybody had a place, even the baby. And mama and Sister Jackson said, "Well, now it's ready to come on in. We're going to have Christmas dinner." And I sit right next to Willy Jackson, you know, and he just rolled his eyes at me and I'd roll mine at him. And we'd just die laughing, you know, and there was an apple and an orange and some stripety candy at everybody's place. And that was just dessert, see. That wasn't the real Christmas dinner. Mama and them had done cooked that up. And they just had it spread up and down the table.

And so papa and Sam Jackson, they'd been sitting on the front porch and they come in. Papa, he sit at one end of the table, Sam Jackson sit at the other. And it was just a beautiful table like you never had seen. And I didn't know nothing could ever look like that and smell that good, you know. And Sam Jackson, you know, he's real black and he had on that white clean shirt of his and then them overalls. Everything had been washed and was real clean. Papa, he said, "Brother Jackson, I believe you're a deacon in the church. I ain't much of a church man myself, but I believe you're a deacon. Maybe you'd be willing to give grace." Well, Sam Jackson, he stood up there and his hands is real big and he kind of held onto the side of the table, you know. But he didn't bow his head like a heap of folks do when they're saying the blessing. He just looked up and smiled. And he said, "Lord, I hope you having as nice a Christmas up there with your angels as we're having down here because it sure is Christmastime down here. And I just wanted to say Merry Christmas to you, Lord.

Like I say, Mister, I believe that was the wonderfulest Christmas in the United States of America."'

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2011, 01:06:05 AM »
OH oH Oh here it is - NPR has a copy of John Henry reading his story - oh hearing him again, YES!

John Henry Faulk reading his Christmas Story

Steph

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2011, 06:14:28 AM »
 I do agree that Christmas is somewhat bittersweet for us as we grow older and more and more leave us. I know that on Christmas Day, I will look at my granddaughter and wish that Grandpa could see the beautiful young lady who has appeared.
Costumes.. yes, as the head angel who sang, I had a white robe, wings ( they were a true pain) and a halo..(Hmm). Long blonde hair t hat was loose from my braids.. My cousin got to be Mary, She had a wonderful alto voice and the lullabye was gorgeous sung by her.
Books.. My Mom loved a stupid little series called "HOneybunch" and gave me a new one of those every year.. Ugh.. She was way too sweet, but I also got The Bobbsey Twins and Nancy Drew from an Aunt. I loved them..
I dont do surprise balls, but I do small handmade baskets ( I love to weave baskets) and fill them with small stuff.. Which I have collected all year.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

MaryPage

« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2011, 07:43:27 AM »
I had The Bobbsey Twins and Honey Bunch and The Five Little Peppers and Nancy Drew and The Dana Girls and all of the Uncle Wriggley, all of the Raggedy Anne & Andy, all of the Oz, The Hardy Boys, The Swallows and Amazons series, and a great set about boys on international adventures the name of which I forget.  All of the fairy tales.  All of James Fenimore Cooper and Gene Porter Stratton.  Many, many others.  I tried to save some for my children, and they loved them.  My daughter Anne has an almost complete set going back to the nineteen thirties of The Bobbsey Twins, and you know what?  She cannot give them to her granddaughter, my great granddaughter, to read because they are full of prejudices towards people.  It is just amazing how our attitudes and casual conversation and comments reveal who we are, and even something you would think pure and sweet does this very thing!  It has been a great revelation to me!

Great story, Barbara.  Did you ever read any of Lella Warren's books?  Whetstone Walls and Foundation Stone.  Had a lot about southern (Alabama) Christmases in them.  Beautiful books about the Old South.  I knew her.  She was my mother's dear friend.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2011, 12:35:11 PM »
No I have not MaryPage read any of her books - for me it isn't the south especially it was how poverty was accepted and regardless of race in the twentieth century, around here for the most part the story would ring true - there was this concept of sharing that still holds us in spite of the hoards who have moved here and are taking Austin into the direction they understand.

The fires this past summer are a perfect example - the only full time non-volunteer fire departments in this state are in the large cities and so Bastrop and Smithville and Leander and Spicewood and Ceder Creek - all those areas where thousands of acres and nearly a 1000 homes burned were handled with very trained, but volunteer fire departments - when all is said and done families did not need that much help from Red Cross or FEMA because everyone is pitching in - folks without insurance are re-building with weekend volunteer help - trees standing but dangerous having been too far burned are taken down with volunteers - flood control, re-seeding - you name it folks are just doing it, even those who lost everything help their neighbor.

It is comforting during the holiday season to read stories that include that kind of sharing that seems more poignant when it would be easy to see the need among those who are needy enough to accept help in a way that does not take from their dignity.  This story also reminds me of how we try to dazzle with gifts and to imagine we could see the beauty in and feel special having received an orange. Someone mentioned how grocery store foods are year round now so that we seldom look at our fresh foods and really stop long enough to savor the flavor, to revel in any of our food.

Here in the Austin area until the early 1980s we still saw in the fall of the year on our roads mule drawn wagons full of cotton - now all those cotton fields are subdivisions and I do not know of a Gin still operating in the area. In the early 80s is when there was another huge successful push by the Chamber to bring clean industry to Austin and with that change we gradually lost hearing folks talk as John Henry does in the NPR bit - you have to shop and socialize in certain areas of town to hear the sounds that were typical of Austin not so very long ago.  As to levels of poverty and who suffered more and the differences in race - we all learn and grow - it is easy to tut tut our past understanding and, as you say MaryPage, it was so pervasive and common that we had to go deep to even understand -

When it comes to children's books that are not supportive of difference in race, unfortunately that is a legacy however, to realize that was our history and that some folks acted toward each other in spite of the culture of the time to me shows a heart that kids can learn that you share with everyone - this story shows how John Henry would have characterized those who will share today with our hard hit neighbors from south of the border on the other side of the Creek we call a river rather than, because of job scarcity and tight budgets bus them back regardless how long they have sharecropped in the US - worked without ownership -

OK, getting too political here and there are lots of issues folks have that I think can all be answered since, like our view of people 50 years ago, our views were often based on what we were told rather than facts - the same holds true today. I am thinking that John Henry can touch a nerve if we let him because few of us are as free with what we have to share with all races or folks who practice any religion and here is an example where without words the natural inclination is to treat everyone like a good neighbor which is to treat them as one of our own.

We do like our children to read stories like the one about Ann Frank but we do not hold the story as an embarrassment to bring up Germany's past - we know for the most part the change among people - and sure, even in Germany there are a few who think as if it were 70 and more years ago. The history of what made a Hitler successful is long and winding so that often we have even created a myth that includes our own version in order to accept the average German's behavior - today we recommend stories of heroism where in Europe folks acted to help their beleaguered neighbors -

I am thinking an orange that symbolizes love, fire, luxury happiness and often a symbol for the golden apples from the Garden at Hesperides; if we can share an orange with our family members maybe John Henry's story can urge us to share an orange with others, even those who some part of society has deemed less worthy.

Hmmm need to put my thinking cap on - we used to regularly for all the holidays bring a tray of goodies to the fire station and drop off token for the teachers - no they are not beleaguered but the habit of letting these folks know we care - hmmm maybe it is time - it is still rainy - thank goodness - but it has gotten cold and the heat is on - maybe I need to turn on my oven instead and get some Christmas going - I have two schools on the other side of the street - gotta think this through because I cannot have a bundle of cookies for every teacher - maybe a tray for the office - need to think on this.

mabel1015j

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2011, 12:36:38 PM »
Loved the story Barbara. Thanks for sharing it...... Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2011, 07:45:18 PM »
So glad you liked the story Jean - tried to find NPR today thinking maybe they had other authors reading their  Holiday story but it wouldn't come in - there is a lot of interference with the TV tonight so maybe the airways are in flux.

Well I decided - when I called the school secretary and asked - it seems that with all the staff there are 65 of which a dozen or so are part time - I blanched - but then the more I calculated numbers it was OK - I have decided since I have tons of blue and yellow tissue I will get some silver ribbon - that narrow kind that you can curl with the side of your scissor - and I started my baking - I decided on small bundles of 6 cookies each bundle - One Ginger Bread Man each - I only need to do the recipe 3 times and the rest are recipes for 3 to 4 dozen at a time and so I only need 2 to 3 batches for each of the additional cookies - I have decided on a couple of snickerdoodles and a couple of raisin mixed fruit cookies and one pecan butterball added to the Ginger Bread man.

I have already finished the snickerdoodles - Tonight I will do the pecan butterballs, I have one batch of Gingerbread man done that rather than icing a decoration I used the old fashioned way with bits of cherry for the mouth, citron for the eyes and raisins for buttons before baking - they do really need a white line for a hat though and tomorrow when I pick up the ribbon I may get a can of that icing.

Then tomorrow I need to do the other two batches of Ginger Bread men and a batch of raisin mixed fruit cookies - I make it with apple sauce and throw in a bunch of dried citron and dried cherries - decided against the chocolate chip since I have no idea when these bundles would be picked up -

I have a large basket I need to get rid of and instead of getting a quarter for it at a garage sale I will use it with one note tied to the handle rather than any attempt to include a note in each bundle.  

This is reminding me of when I was a kid my mother backed cookies - enough to fill up a bushel basket - a couple days before Christmas, always in blue paper with stickers holding it together we packaged cookie gifts for the neighbors, our teachers, always the firemen and the priests and scared stiff, since it was my task to deliver all these packages, I knocked on the big double door to the Swedish home to leave a package of cookies for the two older people that did their farming and who we regularly chatted with over the fence.

And then there were these special butter cookies that during the war Mom saved her stamps to get the ingredients. This was the gift for her older sister who always brought us a Stollen that together she and my grandmother made every year.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2011, 08:10:53 PM »
Just heard from Sandy Davidson (Dapphne) - she made a Thanksgiving Holiday trip back to Maine to be with family and she has made a home for herself clear across the nation in Port Townsend Washington in a small vacation type community right on the waterfront. Her plan was to travel the nation living out of her vehicle that she retrofitted but her car become unreliable and so she settled in a dream community - she sounds really great and calmer than I can ever remember. From what I know about that part of the country their politics and Dapphne's politics match where they did not match in Maine.

Steph

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2011, 05:42:35 AM »
Our Christmas tree went up on Christmas eve.. I never saw it or helped with it until I was a teen.. My godparents had ten children and they would block off their formal parlor the week before Christmas and they did the tree and presents. Then at midnight on Christmas eve, they would throw open the doors and all of the children up to adults would be welcomed in to open presents. The tree was always filled with homemade ornaments. It was always a very special time. When I was young, I loved to go to their house, since they lived in town.. and it was so exciting to live in a house with all ages. even though the older girls ( who was in their 20's) were very very bossy..

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2011, 09:56:28 AM »
The same here, Steph - We had a "sunroom" with French doors - just as you did, Barbara.  It was closed off before Christmas - we never saw that tree until Christmas morning.  It was a breathtaking, unforgettable moment.  My grandchildren will never experience that.  Their trees are up - and decorated - have been for a week.  By the time we get to see them, the week after Christmas, their tree is a fire hazard!

Rosemary K - I need help wth Hogmanay!  The plan down in NC is to celebrate Hogmanay on New Year's Eve.  Do you know it?

Nancy, said something in the Suggestion Box - about Christmas novels...being lighter somehow, even the mysteries.  There's something in the air.  Kidsal  had suggested we read Christmas Carol - Is it just me, or does it seem to take on more significant meaning every year with a rereading?

Before I forget - we are taking nominations for February's Book Club Online discussion - and will vote in January.  Now's the time to put in your two cents -
Dickens' 200th birthday - (200th!) - is coming up in February.  We're planning to celebrate with a discussion of one of his many novels.  To date, we've had three nominations - and will continue to add to the list until January.    If you have any suggestions, please post in the SUGGESTION BOX and we'll enter it into the slate for consideration.  We'd like as many as possible in this discussion - and that includes YOU!

Babi

« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2011, 10:21:51 AM »
 MARYPAGE, how delightful. I've never heard of that! I wonder where it
originated.

That seems to be so typical of kids, ANNIE. I'm sure there is not a
one of us who hasn't been informed by one of our darlings that we must
produce something by tomorrow, they forgot to tell us sooner. But Mom, you've got to!! I promised!!!  

A wonderful story, BARB. And I really like that statuary group; thanks for capturing it for us.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

CubFan

« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2011, 03:54:26 PM »
Greetings -

Last week Barb asked about the cinnamon roll recipe & my mother's bread recipe.  I don't know for sure which bread recipe she used except that it was from her Betty Crocker Cookbook. I didn't make the bread because my husband preferred "store bought" and I knew if I made it I would sit and eat the whole loaf right out of the oven with melted butter.

The cinnamon rolls are in my Betty Crocker cookbook from the early 1960s. I think it has been revised out of the newer editions.

Sweet Roll Dough - Large recipe

2 packages active dry yeast 

½  cup warm water (105 to 115°) 

½  cup lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled) 

½  cup sugar 

2 teaspoon salt

2 eggs 

1/2  cup shortening  

7 to 7 ½ cups Gold Medal flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water.
Stir in milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and ½  of the flour. Mix  until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle. 

Turn dough onto lightly floured board; knead until smooth (about 5 minutes). Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up.  Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1½  hours.

Punch down dough. Let dough rise again until double, about 30 minutes.

Roll dough into oblong, 15 x 9”. Spread with 2 tbsp softened butter, sprinkle with ½ cup sugar (brown) and 2 tsp cinnamon. [these 3 ingredients are not measured by the boys - they are generous with the brown sugar].  Roll up tightly and cut roll in 1" slices. Place in greased 13x9 pan, cover and let rise until double 35-40 minutes.

Heat oven to 375 . Bake 25-30 minutes.   Makes 3 dozen. Can be iced, if you choose.

(We each test at least one apiece as soon as we can right out of the oven to be we were successful.)

Mary

"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2011, 04:44:58 PM »
Oh sounds slarping good - I am still baking and have to hustle and pack - the days are flying by - I have copied the recipe Mary and put it in the special folder I bring with me - asking my daughter to check her cabinets to see if she has the ingredients - this sounds like a great Sunday morning treat...

Steph

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2011, 05:56:06 AM »
Something that has disappeared. When I was little and even when my children were little, a very special Christmas treat was tissue thin ribbon candy. I loved it and my sons as well. You cannot find it any more, all they have is the fat ribbons..no flavor at all. I tried so many sources, butr they all end up with fat ribbons with no flavor. Darn..
To this day, I love tangerines and try to always have a few in season.They have such a short season, even in Florida.. The tissue thin skin type. There is a new type that has way too thick skin.

nlhome

« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2011, 07:34:46 AM »
I am enjoying reading these - I'm having trouble getting into the holiday spirit here, and these memories are really helpful.

We will get our tree this weekend, not because we are putting it up so soon (I hope) but because if we don't there will be none to pick from. We live in a state that produces a lot of trees, just not available right up to Christmas like they used to be.

Babi

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2011, 08:55:32 AM »
 Sadly, we no longer put up a Christmas tree.  For one, there isn't room for
it.  And if there was, the prices are far too high for our budget.  But I string
tinsel and small tree lights over the mantelpiece, add a few decorations, and
enjoy that almost as well. And the cats can't bat stuff off the mantel, as they
did the tree. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2011, 12:29:42 PM »
Ah yes, Steph tangerines - they are lovely and for the last few years the growers in the Valley have been doing a small orange with thin skin.

Babi, you and nlhome remind us of the changes we make after our kids are grown - We put so much energy into the years with our children at home so that it is easy to compare what we did to the many more years of our lives after our children are adults and we set another course for living and celebrating holidays. Me too, for the last 12 years traveling to my daughter's the house is empty for Christmas however, I started to do something else for Christmas other than a Tree back when they were all still living in Austin - Seemed like putting up a large 8 foot tree was more than I could handle on my own plus all that for a one afternoon visit did not seem to add up - I even tried a trio of small 3 foot trees, undecorated with just a star on the top of each but naahhh. Plus as you say the cost for something that no longer brought joy.

And so tradition has become picking up a wreathe each year that brings that wonderful memory scent of Christmas and hang it with four large red ribbons under the light fixture at the Breakfast room table and then hang at various lengths using tiny thin red ribbon all the old family ornaments that were my mother's and those that were on my childhood tree.

One year I brought in a good size branch and spray painted it white and then wrapped it with those tiny lights. It was fine but too rah rah for me. This year I am forcing myself to play Christmas carols on the piano again. Sheesh it is hard but I guess a few tears are part of life. Keeping busy and doing new fun things is great for blocking but I really need to get back to what I valued.

Right now I need to hustle about and finish up all the loose ends before I leave - I leave this week for my daughter's for our annual December visit - flying this year as I did last year and so I still have to finish packing up these Fed Ex boxes and get what I need off - that way I only have a small carry on - last year I used my son's carry-on that has a long handle and wheels but even that I found too difficult to get up and down the stairs making that connection in Atlanta - so this year I am using a cloth bag that is like a large beach bag made of black nylon - actually from 'The Modern" the art museum in Fort Worth.

Each year I leave something more in the closet at my daughter's to cut down on what I have to bring with me. Problem I never took inventory and forget what is there and what isn't - for sure this year I am remembering I do have a pair of slippers there - it is so much colder than I am used to but then we do get a couple of weeks of cold weather in either January or February so I cannot simply leave all my warm things at their house - OK on with it - piano first so I am not melancholy before bed - then clean sheets - finish wrapping cookies and deliver - lay out what I am bringing and start to fill the boxes - and no, jolly holiday music - those sounds only hits me in all the wrong places - for liveliness today it is Patrick Fiori and Paolo Nutini -

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2011, 06:42:19 PM »
Here are a couple of treats that I thought I would leave before I am on my way -

This is a nice annual Yule site http://simnet.is/gardarj/index.html

And this is the department store Printemps Christmas window in Paris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LykAmI0KU7k&feature=related

Wishing everyone a lovely December that will be warm memories in the future...

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
I just deleted a post that took me 30 minutes to put together.  Please forgive me if I swear here. >:( >:( >:( >:( ??? ??? ??? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
I will come in later tonight and try to recall it.  So sorry!

mabel1015j

« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2011, 10:06:48 PM »
Go for it Annie, i understand the frustration! Jean

Steph

« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2011, 06:42:08 AM »
MDH and I bought a small fiberoptic tree maybe 7 years ago. I can put my treasured birds on it and around it on the small table. My granddaughter added Disney princesses  the first year and so I still hang them on it as well.. It spins and lights of course and I use it each night. This year I got brave and put my little led lit christmas tree from the Rv in my front window and then sort of flung some small lights on the outside bushes. I knew that I needed to get back to at least some of our customs. The tree reminds me of our last Christmas.
we were at an RV park where the people mostly stayed all winter and wow.. do they decorate.. We felt sort of out of it and went to a little hardware store close to the park and then found a teeny little tree. It fit nicely into the front window of our RV and made us smile.. So it is up and I can think of how much we loved the RV and how much I miss him and it.

MaryPage

« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2011, 07:39:52 AM »
I think the Vermont Country Store carries that ribbon candy.  I have no idea whether it is the same or not.  We, too, had it as a part of every Christmas when I was a child, and I remember the beauty of it fondly, but have never missed the taste as, well, truth to tell, I have never cared much for hard candies of any type all of my life.  My huge sweet tooth yearns always for the taste of chocolate and the soft, gooey yumminess of caramels and creams.  No matter the flavor, hard candies just do not deliver all of the required sensuality for my enjoyment!

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/jump/productDetail/Food_&_Candy/Candy_&_Chocolate/Nostalgic_Treats/Old-Fashioned_Ribbon_Candy/60966

nlhome

« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2011, 08:00:04 AM »
Home made anise candy is great, and I remember the good quality ribbon candy from my Christmas bags at church when I was small. But I too prefer chocolate, although not the cream filled kind.

Came home last night briefly to see a tree in our living room, so husband and daughter were busy yesterday. They also drove down to put one up for our daughter-in-law and our grandchild. They were from Menard's, a building supply center here in the midwest, and must have cost less than $25 apiece, because my husband said his whole bill for two trees and a big sack of birdfood was $50. We had lights on, took them down because they weren't very pretty - and will put on some smalled white ones today. Actually, when I say "we" I mean "they" because other than finding the white lights, I didn't do anything. Had a dinner meeting last night and another one tonight.