Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 870602 times)

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #6160 on: February 15, 2014, 01:11:01 PM »
Tome reader
You are right.  I had a L.Penney book on my mind I guess.

Steph

« Reply #6161 on: February 15, 2014, 02:17:44 PM »
I read Bad Blood and yes it is sort o f a cliff hanger, but I enjoyed it. It is a bit different from most of her work. Not as much of a cliff hanger as when her boyfriend was killed years ago.Now that was a cliff hanger.. She was close to death  herself from grief and then the book ended.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Frybabe

« Reply #6162 on: February 15, 2014, 04:36:12 PM »
Thanks for the input, Steph.

Steph

« Reply #6163 on: February 16, 2014, 09:35:10 AM »
Why do I even try the Patricia Cornwall.. Her new in paper.. BoneBed.. is starting out with "Oh poor me, I am so bright and the rest of the world is crap" and then tolerating her police man friend, who is a serious pig.. Sigh.. Originally she was such a good writer and then ego got in the way.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #6164 on: February 16, 2014, 10:30:24 AM »
Her topics never appealed to me, so I can't comment on her latest.  I do think, however, that authors often seem to get in the same work rut many do.  Pretty soon they are doing the same plot book after book with minor changes on characters' names and locations and/or they just burn out on the no. of books they've contracted for.  The more successful ones may feel they're "entitled" and their fans won't notice or care.  

I also continue to believe that those who publish more than 2 or even 3 some years are, in fact, a "trade name" like the fashion industry where many produce items under a Name Designer label.  I think there are multiple "ghost writers" who are pumping out works that are sold under the well-known Book Author Designer Label.  That's the only way I can logically understand the logistics of the time it takes to write, edit, proof, re-write and still get out several new, long titles in a given year, year after year.

jane

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #6165 on: February 16, 2014, 12:05:30 PM »
Jane, do you think we now have something like the old Stratemeyer Syndicate -- like the Nancy Drews and the Hardy Boys?   :D

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #6166 on: February 16, 2014, 01:51:33 PM »
I do!  It's the only logical thing that explains for me how "one" author name can put out multiple titles a year...and it also accounts for the wide inconsistencies in quality.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6167 on: February 16, 2014, 03:54:37 PM »
Speaking of which, you can skip the newest Monk book. Why, why does Perry keep trying to write legal thrillers when she wouldn't recognize a legal argument if it hit her over the head!!!!

Tomereader1

« Reply #6168 on: February 16, 2014, 06:07:03 PM »
"Monk book" = = explain please.  Perry??  Anne or someone else?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

salan

« Reply #6169 on: February 16, 2014, 06:16:13 PM »
I used to enjoy reading Patricia Cornwall, but gave up on her several years ago.  I do think that a number of authors use ghost writers.  Many are pushed by their publishers to produce faster and many others are just greedy.
Sally

Steph

« Reply #6170 on: February 17, 2014, 07:53:07 AM »
Very popular writers tend to use paid writers, giving them a diagram of the plot twists.. But they own the copyright.But there are also light mysteries , that if you check the copywright, you realize the publisher owns it. This is the sign of someone who gets paid a set fee for each book and does not use their own name. If the books become popular, they may then branch out . Book publishing is all about volume now adays.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #6171 on: February 17, 2014, 08:36:39 AM »
I knew about authors selling their works outright to publishers.  Apparently common when authors know little about publishing and think $xxxx is a lot of money.  The publisher can then republish, often under a different title, etc. And author gets no royalties and has no say in anything.

I guess some authors are leaving long time publishers and doing self publishing where they can set their own deadlines and own expectations. 

There have been so many mergers of publishers, I've lost track of exactly how many are actually left.

ursamajor

« Reply #6172 on: February 17, 2014, 11:47:38 AM »
I have the Kate Shugak  Bad Blood book, and I agree it is very disappointing.  I don't think it would have been published if not for the reputation of the earlier books.  As to the ending, I think she is killing Mutt off because she is too long in the tooth to continue being Mutt.

Tomereader1

« Reply #6173 on: February 17, 2014, 11:55:36 AM »
Well, if Mutt gets killed off, I don't want to read anymore Kate books.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #6174 on: February 17, 2014, 07:36:13 PM »
Ursa, I had also been thinking that Mutt was getting up there. If each book covered six months, she would be at least ten. I think some of the books skipped a season or two, so more than likely we could say that Mutt is 12 or 13?

There were some interesting comments about it (Bad Blood) appearing to have been written like a TV episode...

I finally found something regarding my prior post: Stabenow had been approached (several times, apparently) to sell screen rights for the Kate Shugak series. So far, she has refused because those who want the rights won't guarantee that it will be filmed in Alaska, a must as far as Stabenow is concerned. Her is her blog on the subject. http://www.stabenow.com/2010/06/25/random-friday-6410

I am now reading Lincoln Child's, Terminal Freeze. So far, it is not as interesting as Deep Storm.

Steph

« Reply #6175 on: February 18, 2014, 08:54:03 AM »
Just read in the paper that Rowling is doing a second book on her monumentally boring detective. I know I wont buy it.. Disliked the first one and I did so love Harry. It is like two entirely different authors.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #6176 on: February 18, 2014, 01:31:19 PM »
I did enjoy Rowling's book in spite of it being "wordy".   I think I'll check whether the library has it on order.  It's called The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (pseudonym of Rowling).

No, not on order yet.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6177 on: February 18, 2014, 03:43:03 PM »
TOME: "Monk book" = = explain please." Sorry, for not being clear. Anne Perry writes two different series, which take place in slightly different tine spans. The earlier one features a detective called Monk (I think it'd William Monk, but he's always just called Monk) The other a detective called Pitt (Thomas Pitt). I get used to thinking of them as Monk books and Pitt books. They are different: the Monk books take place about 20-30 years earlier (1850s-60s) and always, except the first few, feature a court trial. I like them: Monk's partner is a woman who was a nurse in the Crimean War, and you learn a lot about medicine and health issues of the time. BUT her idea of legal cases and arguments drives me CRAZY!

Steph

« Reply #6178 on: February 19, 2014, 08:46:28 AM »
I stopped on the patricia Cornwall. Just could not take any more of Scarpetta being the  only human who knows how to do things.Sigh..

MaryPage

« Reply #6179 on: February 19, 2014, 01:14:09 PM »
Have never liked Patricia Cornwall.  Not from the very git go.

Have read about half of the Perry "Pitt" books, and have enjoyed them for Charlotte.  But I own the other half, and they languish on my bookshelves.  Some day!  Well, at least they are There.  Having books comforts me and soothes and quiets my spirit.

Two writers I can barely wait to buy their latest books:  Julia Spencer-Fleming and Margaret Maron (if it is a Deborah Knott book).  I used to feel that way about Michael Dibdin, but of course he is dead.  So is Reginald Hill, sigh.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #6180 on: February 19, 2014, 11:24:44 PM »
Yesterday, I left posts in two or three places including a rather long one here and they have disappeared.  Happened to another of our readers, too.  I wonder whats going on??
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Steph

« Reply #6181 on: February 20, 2014, 08:07:11 AM »
I just finished a Margaret Maron in paper. The Buzzards Table, but it was not enough Deborah and too much everyone else.. Sigrid belongs in New York City.. I just ordered a Spencer Fleming that is new to me, published just recently. but Amazon had a used copy already.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #6182 on: February 20, 2014, 09:55:18 AM »
Yesterday, I left posts in two or three places including a rather long one here and they have disappeared.  Happened to another of our readers, too.  I wonder whats going on??

Ann...you unintentionally sent your posts as replies to the Notification emails you get when people post here.  Those emails are sent by the system, and the replies you do to the email end up at the webmaster's  email only.

Be sure to come to the discussion and post.  That's the only way the post ends up in the discussion.  

Let me go check the webmaster email and find your posts.

Jane

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #6183 on: February 20, 2014, 10:00:14 AM »
Ann ...  Here is the message.  

BELOW is AdoAnnie's post:

When I saw the movie about the two girls murdering one of the girl's mothers, I swore I would never read Perry's books.  Then I got hooked on her use of the 1800's and all that history about what was going on in England then plus her use of accents of what seems like the actual accents of that time.  I wonder if she does historical searches to use the right accents for that time and place in her books.

I have stopped reading about Kay Scarpetta and her niece who now has several college majors under her belt and she owns her own airplane and does all the flying, I gave up and decided it was just too silly.  Like reading Richie Rich comics!

I don't read Cross mysteries anymore either or Clive Cussler's tales of Dirk Pitt and his entourage.  I even got tired of Tom Clancy and several others in that era.

I want to thank whoever pointed to Charles Finch titles as I am enjoying them a lot.  

Isn't it astounding to read these books written about the 1800's and realize how far we have grown from that era?

Steph

« Reply #6184 on: February 21, 2014, 08:45:40 AM »
I love Charles Finch and have collected most of his stuff and am doling it out when I want a lift. An interesting writer.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6185 on: February 21, 2014, 04:15:09 PM »
Steph  -the new Spencer Fleming (Through the Evil Days) has already been nominated for an Agatha!

Steph

« Reply #6186 on: February 22, 2014, 09:09:27 AM »
I am excited, I found it used at a reasonable price.. so ordered it.. I am reading a Linda Castillo.. This one seems to be really dark. Disappearing girls, all Amish.. now one found murdered. I like her Kate..

mabel1015j

« Reply #6187 on: February 25, 2014, 11:34:54 AM »
In case any of you want to write your own detective story...... :D.......Raymond Chandler's Ten Commandments for doing so...........whew, sounds impossible..........but a short, interesting write-up about Chandler.....

http://www.openculture.com/2014/02/raymond-chandlers-ten-commandments-for-writing-a-detective-novel.html

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6188 on: February 25, 2014, 03:14:26 PM »
That's interesting! I would agree with him on much of it. And Christie  and Carr are certainly open to criticism for some of their methods of murder, which would never have worked in real life. But I think we're allowed some suspension of disbelief in reading mysteries. Real life murders are often very dull. And these fancy methods and alibis, romances and atmosphere, are fun! Isn't the point of this reading to enjoy oneself?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6189 on: February 25, 2014, 03:17:58 PM »
This was "quilting mystery week" at the library. I found an Earlene Fowler, who writes about a quilter and rancher in California.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/f/earlene-fowler/

and one by O'Donahue (not listed in FF -- I'll have to check the spelling) who writes about the owner of a quilt shop in a small town.

I hadn't seen a Fowler mystery in so long, I'd forgotten about her. I see from FF that I've missed two. There was a gap from 2997 to 2011 and 12. Glad to catch up.

Steph

« Reply #6190 on: February 26, 2014, 08:47:58 AM »
Fowler writes several series as I recall. Have not read one of hers for a while, but always enjoy them.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #6191 on: February 26, 2014, 01:24:56 PM »
Here we go already on the one library in town that tore down a building of only 10 years old and spent 17 mil. Building a beautiful all glass one just 5 years ago.

Out of money now. Wanting city to give another million after giving that last year They already give almost 2 mil. A year to them out of taxes..

In a Meeting last night city said only 250 thousand.  They have already laid Off 28 people now saying more will go.( can't see why the had so many along with volunteers) also will cut hours open and no Sundays.  

I say way to many people on the board making to much money. Along with people with fancy titles.  Amazing what they earn. Just hired a new person at our library which is smaller at salary of 178 thousand a year.  We are not able to buy new books at the moment.  I have requested 12in the last month and they only have 2.  That have over 40 names down for it. Very sad .....hate to see libraries go down this way.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6192 on: February 26, 2014, 03:09:59 PM »
I see this in Universities, too -- money going to buildings, not to books or teaching.

$178,000?????? I'm glad librarians aren't underpaid anymore, but that's ridiculous!

Tomereader1

« Reply #6193 on: February 26, 2014, 03:16:20 PM »
Similar to our city's recent acquisition of a new City Manager.  The previous one, a wonderful woman who held the job for a many years and did a fantastic job, retired.  They decided to hire "from within", and hired a "man" at $450,000 a year,which was about $100,000+- more than she made.   How good at the job he will be --- only time will tell.   Moral of story:  we can't afford to buy books and keep employees at the libraries, but can up a big time salary for an unproven City Manager.
Yuck!

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #6194 on: February 27, 2014, 06:26:37 AM »
Hmmm! Now I am wondering what the main library manager (and staff) is making here. I know that the branch manager is not being paid much, nor are the regular staff. If our branch followed the policy of the main library, I probably wouldn't stick around as a volunteer. Apparently, the volunteer staff is not supposed to handle any computer work, leaving that for regular staff. Our branch is too small to strictly follow that policy, so at least I am able to check books in. My sister, who volunteers in another county system, is being trained to do more on the computers. We both shelve, do pull lists, etc. There was talk of increasing the county library tax, but I see they haven't done so this year.

Steph

« Reply #6195 on: February 27, 2014, 08:57:49 AM »
I was approved to volunteer, but.. the only place they use adult volunteers is in the childrens library and I simply do not enjoy small children. Sorry if that raises anger, but it is just the truth.I explained that and said I would gladly work backstage, etc. nope.. the college kids get that sort of volunteer.So I don't volunteer.

Frybabe

« Reply #6196 on: February 27, 2014, 09:14:01 AM »
You are not alone, Steph. I never had children and haven't been around them for years and years, except on a few occasions like family gatherings. The make me a little nervous because I am not used to them. The same with teens who come in but don't seem all that interested in the books. We've had a few who seemed to use the library as a kind of gathering place. One actually asked about a library card, but when he found out he wasn't old enough to get a card without a parent signing off on it, he looked disgusted and declined to sign up. They went in the children's section if no one was there to sit and talk or quietly use their cell phones and generally look suspicious and clam up if anyone came into the room. This lasted about a month until they must have found another hideout.

nlhome

« Reply #6197 on: February 27, 2014, 09:46:33 AM »
Libraries aren't just for books. Young people, all ages, are welcomed in our library as long as they follow the rules. Nothing wrong with sitting and using the WiFi and reading books or magazines. I would think a library would be far preferable to other places where youth hang out. If we want libraries to continue to serve us, we need to make everyone welcome. We have young pages who do more than shelve books. They create displays and schedule teen book discussions.

ursamajor

« Reply #6198 on: February 27, 2014, 11:30:58 AM »
Steph, you don'e need to apologize.  I raised five kids of my own but they were under control.  I don't know what to do with today's children and young people.

Frybabe

« Reply #6199 on: February 27, 2014, 02:27:12 PM »
I know, but this particular bunch acted so suspicious. It made me nervous when I went into the room to shelve books or do a pull list because they would clam up and look guilty until I went out again. Made me wonder what no good they were up to. Like I said I am not used to being around kids much, and this was just after I started volunteering there. Most of the children/teens who come into the library are using the computers or looking for books. We don't get a lot of teens during my hours, most are small fry who are with adults.