Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #1  (Read 154084 times)

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers
« Reply #320 on: February 28, 2009, 12:54:38 PM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

After rereading the posts here, I see that JoanG is the only one who wants to read "Loving Frank".  So, JoanG, I will put you on the list.  We have two
DL's leading the discussion and so far that's it.  Traude and I will be proposing it by March 15th and its going to be discussed(if we get enough readers) starting on May 1st.

We have so many books that aren't that readable anymore due to the paper that was used or the topic.  I think that I will give these to the Kidney Services or Goodwill.  Maybe someone else would like to read them. 
 I used to collect old titles just to have the outside of them lined up on my shelves.  According to a decorator, one should not put up books with covers and using old books looks better.  Who cares at this time in our lives?  Its almost too much trouble to take them anywhere like the library, so I guess any charity will take them.
For years, I kept a bag of books in the trunk of my car which I traded with used dealers.  Sometimes they will do a 2 for 1 trade.  Its handy and does get rid of some of ones books.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Steph

« Reply #321 on: March 01, 2009, 09:22:42 AM »
I only keep books that I cannot lived without. Most of what I got at the sale and through my book swap internet group, I put back up on the swap. I also take bags of books for the sales. I am still overrun with books, but a lot of that is that I am a genealogist and have been one for so many years, that although people do mostly internet research nowadays, I started when you bought the books.. So have an extensive Genealogical library.. Almost entirely upstate New York.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #322 on: March 01, 2009, 10:34:54 AM »
Of course, MARYZ.  I recycle a number of other things,..why not books?!

ANNIE, much as I regret not being able to support you on "Loving Frank", I'm sorry to say the subject simply doesn't interest me in the slightest.  Maybe the next book....

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #323 on: March 01, 2009, 03:54:08 PM »
I just got on Senior Learn on the Kindle.  Who Knew?????

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #324 on: March 01, 2009, 04:28:27 PM »
How did you find that?  All the discussions?  Or just hooking up to their "whispernet"?
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #325 on: March 01, 2009, 05:30:23 PM »
O.K. you turn it on, I find this must be done quickly then hit the button that says menu. It comes up browse
under browse is books magazines
if you scrowl down to  Kindle Daily Post it has the date and four books pictured. One of those books is free. My problem is that under daily post the date has not been changed. Let me know if that works Mary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #326 on: March 01, 2009, 07:44:28 PM »
I found that page, Judy, and mine says 27 February, too.  I don't know why the date didn't change.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Aberlaine

« Reply #327 on: March 01, 2009, 08:27:25 PM »
Annie, sorry I didn't reply to you sooner.  I don't always get back to SeniorLearn for a few days.  I'm reading Loving Frank, but am not enjoying it very much.  I vowed to give it 100 pages, then I'm going to stop.  My f2f group is reading it for the month of March, but many times one or more of us don't read the book of choice because we just don't like it. 

Actually, we get together to catch up on each others' lives.  We all worked in the same place and at overlapping times.  We use books as the excuse.  And once in a while, like with The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, we actually have a great book to discuss.

Now, if you want to read and discuss The People of the Book, I'd be interested.  It's an awesome book!

Gumtree

« Reply #328 on: March 01, 2009, 10:41:03 PM »
Aberlaine I'd be interested in discussing People oftheBook too...great book with lots to discuss. It's just been mentioned over on The LIbrary again -
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Steph

« Reply #329 on: March 02, 2009, 07:45:21 AM »
I must confess that I have not gotten ahead of the Hedgehog in April.. People of the Book.. Hmm, maybe I will give it a try. I have no interest in Loving Frank.. Read it and did not like it.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #330 on: March 02, 2009, 04:35:26 PM »
Mary the date changed today. I am going to write a manual Kindle For Dummies and get bog time rich so I can mmove to GEORGIA.  I had my guru here this morning and he says there is not much info about operating the Kindle.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #331 on: March 02, 2009, 05:12:13 PM »
May I be the first to buy your book, Judy?  And check out Chattanooga before you move to Georgia.  It's much better here.  ::)

I've just finished China Road (enjoyed it a lot), and have one more easy book to read before I can start with the Kindle.  We have the new Jefferson Bass book, Bones of Betrayal, and I want to read that before it has to go back to the library.

Steph

« Reply #332 on: March 03, 2009, 08:06:55 AM »
Started reading an older book.. Friday Night Knitting Club. I suspect this is not going to be my cup of tea, but wanted something light.

Babi

« Reply #333 on: March 03, 2009, 08:44:56 AM »
MARYZ, your comment about Chattanooga vs. Georgia made me grin, remembering an old story I heard.  The Governor of Florida had been teasing the Governor of Georgia, pointing out how many Georgians were moving to Florida.  The Gov. of Georgia just smiled  and said, "That's just fine; it improves the quality of both States."   ;D
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marjifay

« Reply #334 on: March 03, 2009, 11:21:21 AM »
Steph, The Friday Night Knitting Club was one of the more boring books I could not wait to return to the library (unfinished).  It is being made into a movie starring Julia Roberts.  That's one movie I'll be sure to miss.
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #335 on: March 03, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
I would like to come and wee Tennessee Mary but when I get off the plane in Atlanta the car just turns straight down the road (after a stop at Cracker Barrell) and before I know it I am in Gay, Hamilton, Warm Springs Juliette I tell you that the deal. And thats before I head to Macon and down to Savannah. Who could go to the south and not go to Savannah, of course then there is Hilton Head and Charleston, Isle of the Palms.  I am so hooked

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #336 on: March 03, 2009, 02:20:17 PM »
I do understand, Judy.  Charleston and Savannah are great!.  Three of our grands are graduates of and students at the College of Charleston.  Still, you should give us a visit sometime. :D

Steph

« Reply #337 on: March 04, 2009, 08:02:56 AM »
Judy,, Northwest Georgia is worth a look. We love Hiawasee and Young Harris.. Clayton is fun.. and Dahlonega has its moments. The mountains in Georgia are quite special in their own way. I love both Georgia and North Carolina in that small narrow mountain area.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #338 on: March 04, 2009, 02:00:05 PM »
Mary I will make it to Tennessee some day.
Steph I have spent a lot of time in the Pine Mountain area. Warm Spring, Hamilton, Calloway Gardens, Pine Mountain the town is charming and the people are so nice.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #339 on: March 04, 2009, 05:10:45 PM »
Judy, you're right about that, too.  When we moved to Chattanooga 22 years ago, I was very surprised at the beauty of that mountainous area where GA, NC, and TN meet - even NE Alabama.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #340 on: March 04, 2009, 11:39:55 PM »
Did you get snow dumped on you in the last few days Mary - my daughter is in Saluda just east of Hendersonville and they got a foot of snow - down the mountain in Tryon they only got a few  inches and so the middle and high school started late but the buses could not get up the mountain to pick up the Saluda kids and so those whose parents could drive took them and the others had a free day.

In the little area where they live there are 14 kids within a year or so of each other in age - a neighbor had them all at her house for pancakes while the dryer spun clothes dry and then later they were all at my daughters for lunch while watching a movie and she spun dry all the outer clothes dry so they could get back out again in the afternoon. Good time had by all...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #341 on: March 05, 2009, 08:05:31 AM »
We didn't get any snow, Barbara.  Our daughter 50 miles west of us did, but the system swung south of Chattanooga, then back north and east.   ::)

Steph

« Reply #342 on: March 05, 2009, 08:06:42 AM »
Barb, I love that area. Hendersonville... Waynesville.. outside of Asheville, there are a number of small towns and areas that are a delight. We take the rv up there every summer and spend time. If I could have a second home, it would be there.

mabel1015j

« Reply #343 on: March 05, 2009, 02:06:54 PM »
Did any of you read the Helen Van Slyke novels? I read all that my library had in the 80's and 90's and was sad when i heard she had died and there would be no new ones. Yesterday at the library i was scouting the large print books - i like to read them while on the treadmill - and saw the shelf full of HVS books, which reminded me of her. I looked carefully at them, hoping there was one there i hadn't read, but no such luck. ................. any way, i enjoyed them very much. They were good stories, if a little soap operary sometimes, but they had a good substance to them and gave me something to think about............jean

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #344 on: March 05, 2009, 07:17:39 PM »
Jean what kind of books did she write? Can you tell us some title's?

mabel1015j

« Reply #345 on: March 05, 2009, 11:19:25 PM »
All of Van Slyke novels were about family relations. The first one i read was Sisters and STrangers. The title caught me when i saw it on the shelf, and i tho't it was a good story - if i remember it right 20 yrs later, - three sisters are coming home for one of their parents' funeral and - as we all have done - learn a lot of things about each other and about their parents which they hadn't known before.

Another one that i remember was called Mixed Blessings which was about a family where the dgt has an inter-racial marriage and family. She writes about  the emotions and complexities of various relationships that that involved. I remember that one because i have been in an inter-racial marriage for 40 yrs. Other titles were The Best Place To Be, The Heart Listens, A Necessary Woman, No Love Lost, Public Smiles, Private Tears. ................. i looked them up on-line at the library, I did NOT remember all of those  :D. The titles can give you a little sense of the possible story. I believe a couple of them were made into television movies...........jean

Steph

« Reply #346 on: March 06, 2009, 07:57:37 AM »
Oh me, I do remember Helen Van Slyck. I read a few of hers. Actually I think that Jody Picoult writes a good deal like she did.
Story tellers.. Eugenia Price wrote wonderful historical fiction. Very romanticized, but fun to read. Some one else did as well.. She wrote about Louisiana and my stupid skipping brain cannot remember her name.. Hmm. will drive me nuts all day.

Babi

« Reply #347 on: March 06, 2009, 09:28:02 AM »
STEPH, are you possibly thinking of Frances Parkinson Keyes?  I loved her stories. They were set in Louisiana, and taught me a lot about the history and culture of the times.

Tomereader1

« Reply #348 on: March 06, 2009, 11:33:46 AM »
Now, I'm not going to say this person is a "great writer", but all the talk about the authors from our past, has brought to mind one book that I read back in the 60's (I think) titled "Five Smooth Stones" - the author is Ann Fairbairn.  I'm not even sure if she ever wrote anything else.  But I still have that book, and whilst it was still new, I read it two or three times.  Wonderful story, set in the time, basically, of Civil Rights movement.   It was a terrific read.  And by the way, I had read all the Helen Van Slyke novels too.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

mabel1015j

« Reply #349 on: March 06, 2009, 12:56:23 PM »
Tomereader - And by the way, I had read all the Helen Van Slyke novels too........scary! ......Did you like Pat Conroy's The Prince of Tides? That's one of my favorite books................

Steph - i like Eugenia Price also, but i have to read one or two at a time and then move to someone else. But i'm like that w/ a lot of things. I like/need variety...........jean

Tomereader1

« Reply #350 on: March 06, 2009, 01:35:56 PM »
Yes, I like "Prince of Tides".  I have to think that I'm glad I read it back when it was first new, because in today's literature, there seems to be so much (too much) angst and dysfunctional family plots.  If I had to read "Tides" now, I would probably put it down after a few chapters.  I guess that's why I read so many mystery/detective novels; you've got bad guys/good guys, but not always in their own families!  That probably seems like an off the wall comment, but ...?   ???

Another subject:  do you find yourself spending too much time on the computer?  I certainly do!!!

Joanne

The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

CallieOK

« Reply #351 on: March 06, 2009, 03:28:17 PM »
Finally!  Some authors being mentioned that I've read!!!

YES to "Five Smooth Stones".  I was so affected by that novel and re-read it several times but I no longer have my copy.

YES to Helen Van Slyke.  I read all of her books and was so sad when she died and there would be no more.

YES YES to Eugenia Price and Frances Parkinson Keyes.  FPK wrote what would be called a "Young Adult" book today titled "Once On Esplanade".  My aunt who was living in Louisiana at the time, got an autographed copy for me.  I still have it but my granddaughters weren't interested in reading it.

And YES to "Prince of Tides" - although the movie annoyed me because it focused on Barbra Streisand and completely left out the sub-plot about the brother (details escape me at the moment).

Right now, I'm reading "Love Over Scotland" by Alexander McCall Smith and have just the last one of Debbie Macomber's "Cedar Cove" books that I hadn't read.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #352 on: March 06, 2009, 04:00:06 PM »
Prince of Tides reminds me of the book I purchased on Tape written by Sandra his wife - I think she goes by the name Cassandra King - anyhow I listened going and coming a year ago on my trip to visit my daughter Cassandra King's Queen of Broken Hearts- at first fluff but the more I listened the more fascinating and finally the last few chapters were filled with life changing examples of handling difficulties in life that often come to  us as a result of a family member's dysfunction. - If  you like stories centered in Southern Culture this is a good book to recognize behavior with a wry smile but to go deeper into handling life when it throws a curve.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #353 on: March 06, 2009, 04:15:16 PM »
I have the book 5 Smooth Stones here somewhere. A few years back someone recommend it and I got it but never read it. Maybe I will hunt it down and read it.

I just finished Mary Alice Monroe's book Time Is A River. I loved it and in my opinion her writing has just gotten better over the years. I don't know what really good writing is, I just read what I like. But I was impressed with the writing in this book.

BTW does the spell checking on here work? If so can somebody tell how??

mabel1015j

« Reply #354 on: March 06, 2009, 05:15:06 PM »
Hi Joanne/Tomereader - I think Pat Conroy's story-telling is so good that you just might stick w/ Prince of Tides even today, altho i know what you mean about the extreme angst. I probably would not have read P of T is someone had tried to tell me what it was about before i read it.  ;D

I liked Cassandra King's The Sunday Wife, but i just quit on one of hers titled Same Sweet Girls, about a group of women who had gone to private school together............i was about half way thru when i tho't "I don't care what happens w/ any of these women......................" and shut the book.

Always glad to hear that M A Malone has a new one. I haven't read all of hers, but am working on them and have enjoyed them all. I have been able to identify w/ her characters............which i didn't w/ the SSG's women which is why i guess i got bored w/ them.........actually they were acting stupid, IMO, can't abide stupid in characters. ............is that being a snob? I don't think so, i just want to strangle them and say "think about what you are doing." Now, if an author can give me a rationalization as to why a character would behave in such a way - that i can deal with, but if someone has seemingly no real reason to be acting stupid?  ??? ........Barbara - CK may have gotten to some meat about those 6 women eventually, also, but i couldn't wait for that possibility  :P

I love the fact that we can scroll down and see what the previous postings were on this site.

Judy - if you are in the "reply" box there's is a bar to click on spell check.........but i don't think any of us are going to be that persnickity (sp?) about your spelling.  ;D ...........toooooo many emoticons!...................jean

Tomereader1

« Reply #355 on: March 06, 2009, 07:56:40 PM »
I loved the Pat Conroy book about teaching the children, and you know the title escapes me...!!! darn, darn.  they made a very nice movie about it, too.  I thought better movie than "Tides", and I agree about that movie focusing on Streisand.   

I just watched something on TV this afternoon, that I had been forcing myself to avoid for quite awhile...talk about angst.  I had read the book first, so I knew what to expect, but the movie kind of brought the poverty and hopelessness up close,...guess I should say the title:  Angela's Ashes; Frank McCourt.   Anyone seen that?  Read the book ? (stupid question, I bet everyone here has read the book)

André Maurois

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #356 on: March 06, 2009, 08:13:24 PM »
Tomereader, the Pat Conroy book you're thinking of is The Water is Wide - his first published book, I think.  We love his first books -The Great Santini and Lords of Discipline.  We didn't much  care for Prince of Tides and and Beach Music.  We also loved his latest short one called My Losing Season, about the year he played basketball at The Citadel.

An aside about Conroy...For years he was persona non grata at the Citadel for his portrayal of the school in Lords of Discipline.  I think this enmity has eased somewhat over the years.  And there was just a story in our local paper today that Conroy's nephew is the new basketball coach at The Citadel, and they've had their first winning season in years.  They're in our conference, the Southern Conference, which is having its tournament this weekend here in Chattanooga.  We've just come home from sitting through four games.  And will be seeing the Citadel play tomorrow.  I'll be looking for Pat Conroy in the stands.

Another aside...The discussion about the Guernsey Literary, etc., discussion has closed.  But I recommended this book on my blog a couple of weeks ago.  One of my readers lives in the Orkneys (Scotland) and has read and loved the book. I sent her a link to the archived discussion in case she wanted to look at it.  I got this comment from her today on my blog, and wanted to share it with you.

I had a look at the discussion of the Guernsey book a few days ago and really enjoyed it. Certainly from the history I know of Guernsey during the war the book appears very accurate. There were a couple of things I want to check with my sister, but I'm sure historically the author(s) have done well. I now have a list of friends who want to borrow the book. Thanks again for the recommendation!

Sandy

« Reply #357 on: March 06, 2009, 08:48:46 PM »
  Hi, my name is Sandy. This is my first day here. I am 75, live with my husband in Phila. suburbs.  Formerly I was a teacher who loved her job -- teaching fifth grade. I dote on  reading and book discussions. Guernsey Island was one of my favorites. I am now reading Isabel Allende's The Sum of Our Days which is very good. I once lived in Brazil so like Latin American writers. A favorite series of mine is the Hamish McBeth books by M C Beaton. Next I will be reading Look Me in the Eye my life with aspergers. I love poetry, especially those by William Wordsworth. Also like reading the classics and most all but sci fi and mysteries except for the cozy kind which I like very much. I am not sure how to register for the classes I would like but fiction is definitely one of them.

*Sandy*

CubFan

« Reply #358 on: March 06, 2009, 09:14:37 PM »
titled "Five Smooth Stones" - the author is Ann Fairbairn.  I'm not even sure if she ever wrote anything else.  But I still have that book, and whilst it was still new, I read it two or three times.

I read another book by her called "That Man Cartwright".  I don't remember what it was about but think it was good.  It didn't move me like "Five Smooth Stones" but that one was so timely.   Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #359 on: March 06, 2009, 09:31:18 PM »
Welcome, Sandy.  Good to have you here.  We love Hamish, too.  Have you seen any of the BBC series based on those stories?  There were three seasons of them, and they're all available from Netflix.  We loved those, too.  And, a couple of years ago, we got to make a stop in the town in Scotland where the shows were filmed.  Quite a treat!