Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 869983 times)

Tomereader1

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #8200 on: June 09, 2016, 04:21:00 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

ThriftBooks is just an all-around great place to buy your books!  Now I don't buy as many as MaryPage, but when I'm looking for something, I go to their website.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8201 on: June 09, 2016, 05:13:10 PM »
MaryPage: that's good to know.

PHYLL: " However, the British actor that portrays Endeavour Morse kind of rings my chime.  ::) "

How about the actor who plays the vicar in Grantchester? Whew!

MaryPage

JAMES NORTON!
« Reply #8202 on: June 09, 2016, 07:29:01 PM »
Oh, no you DON'T, Joan!  I've got dibs on that one!  Woo Hoo!  And he was Divine in War & Peace, too.  MINE, Joan!  Pitch your tent of daydreams elsewhere! :)

Tomereader1

« Reply #8203 on: June 09, 2016, 08:27:37 PM »
And I'm enamored of that wonderful, sad-eyed actor who played the lead in Wolf Hall!  Ooooh!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

MaryPage

THE GUY WHO PLAYED THOMAS CROMWELL
« Reply #8204 on: June 09, 2016, 08:33:39 PM »
MARK RYLANCE?

Pretty Sexy!

Tomereader1

« Reply #8205 on: June 09, 2016, 08:41:15 PM »
Yes, Mark Rylance.  He could turn those eyes on me, and I'd follow him anywhere!

André Maurois

MaryPage

ABOUT HEARTTHROBES
« Reply #8206 on: June 09, 2016, 09:31:18 PM »
DOWN, GIRL! DOWN!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8207 on: June 09, 2016, 11:42:55 PM »
MARYPAGE: Oookay (sob).

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #8208 on: June 10, 2016, 11:07:41 AM »
We used to wonder about Jessica Fletcher (Murder She Wrote) who was a magnet for murder in that small Maine town, and no one there thought it wise to avoid her!! Loved Angela Lansbury, though.

Leah...love the above.  The old gal sure did get around (on that bike)!  I've pretty much given up watching any TV except news and my beloved sports.  They just don't make shows like Murder She Wrote or others I enjoyed...Northern Exposure, etc. 

So, my IPAD and I are attached and I can download what I want while sitting in my house that's far from any bookstore and enjoy my reading! 

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #8209 on: June 10, 2016, 02:42:53 PM »
A recent visit to my library has revealed two new authors and I wanted to say that they are new to me so I will suggest them to you all.  First one is Gail Oust who writes about a lady who has just opened a spice shop and finds a body in a restaurant nearby. She considers herself and her best friend amateur detective.  Good reading!
The second author, Alan Bradley, writes a good tale about an 11 year old girl who also considers herself a good detective and she does solve two murder mysteries.  Very well written with humor.
Those are my newest authors.  Hope you will try them! 
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8210 on: June 10, 2016, 05:24:25 PM »
Thanks, ANNIE. Gail Oust is new to me: I love the idea of a spice shop. But I don't know what a bunco babe is.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/o/gail-oust/

Alan Bradley is an old friend to many of us, with his strange little girl (I think 11 at the start of the series) Flavia and her secret chemistry lab in that spooky house.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/b/alan-bradley/

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8211 on: June 10, 2016, 05:33:25 PM »
I looked up the first "Bunco Babes" mystery. They're a bunch of retirees who solve mysteries when they're mot plating Bunco or golf. Got to read that one:

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/o/gail-oust/whack-n-roll.htm

MaryPage

FLAVIA
« Reply #8212 on: June 10, 2016, 07:33:43 PM »
OH. she was talking about Flavia.  Yep, I've read the first two of that series so far, and have two on hand yet to read.  We certainly do know Flavia.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #8213 on: June 11, 2016, 04:19:14 PM »
i have already read "home by nightfall" by Charles Finch.  Got it from Overdrive onto my iPad Mini last month!  As usual, a very good read!  Love Lenox!  Just got notice that my new Lenox Mystery "A stranger in Mayfair" is in.
I am reading a new Grisham "The Racketeer" on my IPad today while watching the Cinncinati Reds.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

MaryPage

CHARLES LENOX MYSTERIES
« Reply #8214 on: June 11, 2016, 07:36:30 PM »
I should have said that it is the paperback edition of Home By Nightfall, which is book #9 in the series, which will be released on August 2nd.  I prefer paperbacks to hardbacks, as they are not as heavy for my arthritic hands.

A Stranger In Mayfair was book number four, and I read and passed that on to granddaughter Paige some time back.

The Inheritance is the newest, #10, and I have it on my Wish List to order as soon as it comes out in paperback.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8215 on: June 11, 2016, 09:18:34 PM »
MARYPAGE: I agree about paperbacks. Lighter, take up less bookcase space (and, of course, cheaper!)

Annie: I love Lenox, too. I'm way behind!

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #8216 on: June 12, 2016, 02:34:29 PM »
We loved Murder She Wrote and watched every Sunday night without fail

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8217 on: June 12, 2016, 03:41:01 PM »
So did I.

I'm trying to remember a PBS series where the detective was a British woman with vary stylish 1920s or 30s clothes. She flirted with her chauffer. Does anyone remember the name?

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #8218 on: June 12, 2016, 04:12:48 PM »
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries was in the 20s or 30s.  Beautiful clothes but her flirting was with the police lieutenant.  This interesting series was filmed in Australia.  They were on some PBS stations and later on Netflex where I saw it.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8219 on: June 12, 2016, 04:18:51 PM »
That's it! Thanks.

MaryPage

AURORA TEAGARDEN
« Reply #8220 on: June 12, 2016, 06:38:27 PM »
I am having fun watching an Aurora Teagarden murder mystery on the Hallmark Murder Mysteries channel.  And after this one, I am going to watch another one!  And after that one, I am going to watch ANOTHER one!  Fun!  So much fun!

nlhome

« Reply #8221 on: June 12, 2016, 10:41:56 PM »
Joan K, there is a show called Mrs. Bradley's Mysteries. She solves mysteries with the help of her chauffeur.

MaryPage

DIANA RIGG
« Reply #8222 on: June 13, 2016, 09:39:37 AM »
I have watched those, as well.  The wonderful Diana Rigg.  She always has that naughty glint in her eye.  And her clothes are divine!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8223 on: June 13, 2016, 05:18:21 PM »
THAT'S THE ONE! The reason I asked is I always wondered if those were based on books. I recently got a mystery featuring a Mrs. Bradley (with  an intelligent chauffer) thinking it might be the basis for the series. But this Mrs. Bradley is as different as can be -- she's 80 with the author keeps telling us how ugly and unpleasant she is, kind of like one of the witches from Macbeth! (And with horrible clothes). I found the portrayal quite insulting (another old person in the story is similarly portrayed). the mystery wasn't very good either.

I wasn't sure it was the same name -- that's why I asked. the TV people must have re-invented her character. Not worth trolling through another bad mystery to see if it's one I remember.

Funny I remembered her clothes but not her name from  the TV series. Does that make me shallow?

MaryPage

THOSE FASHIONS WERE DIVINE!
« Reply #8224 on: June 13, 2016, 11:27:11 PM »
Oh, Good Grief, No, Joan!  That just makes you a Woman!  And cut from much the same cloth as I.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #8225 on: June 15, 2016, 12:23:03 AM »
There's an interesting view of the adaptation of the first "Mrs. Bradley" book to the TV series with Diana Rigg at http://www.gladysmitchell.com/bradleytv.htm

I haven't read any of the books. I love the TV series.

evergreen

« Reply #8226 on: June 15, 2016, 12:39:31 PM »
JoanK--- now that you mention clothes, I noticed some time ago that all the news anchors on our local tv have started to wear black suits, or some combination of black and white.  The anchors on cbs and abc also began wearing black suits.  I think this has been happening for around a year.  Not sure of the time frame.  When I mentioned it to a member of my family, he told me to listen to the news, and stop worrying about what everyone was wearing.  LOL.  Does anyone know if this is because of high definition tv? 

I know.  Be quiet and listen to the news. :)

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #8227 on: June 15, 2016, 01:00:45 PM »
I saw one of the Mrs. Bradley Mysteries on Netflix streaming but now you can only get them on DVD and we only do streaming on Netflix.  I hope I can find the rest of Season 1.  Was there only one season?

MaryPage

DIANA RIGG AS MRS. BRADLEY
« Reply #8228 on: June 15, 2016, 02:12:57 PM »
As far as I am aware, there was only one season, and it was at least 15 years ago or a bit more.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8229 on: June 15, 2016, 05:33:38 PM »
EVERGREEN:  I hadn't noticed, but I'll bet you're right. I always notice what the women on TV are wearing: not so much the men.

Maybe it's to keep what their wearing from being distracting. I seem to remember when Dan Rather reported from a location at war, he always wore something that made him look like a soldier, in the trenches. I always thought it was phony.

MaryPage

KARIN FOSSUM
« Reply #8230 on: June 16, 2016, 07:33:55 PM »
I believe it was Marj who recommended EVA'S EYE by the Norwegian writer, Karin Fossum.  I have had it on my list ever since, and finally bought her first four (4) books used from Thriftbooks.  Just finished Eva's Eye, and have moved right on to DON'T LOOK BACK, which is something I never do, as I like to switch my venues, as it were, but in this case, the crime to be solved actually has its beginning towards the end of Eva's Eye!  So I had to keep going to see what happens.  I really like Fossum's detective, Inspector Sejer.  I never have cause to despair of him, as he does not smoke, drink, or sleep around.  Such a refreshing relief!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8231 on: June 17, 2016, 12:41:44 AM »
MaryPage: " Fossum's detective, Inspector Sejer.  I never have cause to despair of him, as he does not smoke, drink, or sleep around.  Such a refreshing relief!"

Yes, indeed!

MaryPage

FOR MY SINS
« Reply #8232 on: June 17, 2016, 06:14:32 AM »
Actually, I should have said:  "to excess."

He does have ONE drink with ONE cigarette when at home at the end of the day.  Just the one.  There are other authors I love, but I deplore their detectives going on binges and smoking packs and packs of cigarettes every day and having casual sex here there and everywhere.  It is all so counterproductive, and I get such a creepy distaste from reading about it as a lifestyle.

I must admit, though, that were I a detective, and were the details of my daily life being exposed in books, I would be the secret chocolate muncher.  Oh, dear!  People would no doubt be despairing over the number of times I hit the ice cream, or dash into a shop for cream puffs or hot chocolate!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8233 on: June 17, 2016, 04:44:21 PM »
MaryPage: ", I would be the secret chocolate muncher.  Oh, dear!  People would no doubt be despairing over the number of times I hit the ice cream, or dash into a shop for cream puffs or hot chocolate."

I'm already the secret chocolate muncher. Any excuse is a good one for eating chocolate.

MaryPage

« Reply #8234 on: June 17, 2016, 07:39:25 PM »
Well, in our defense, I don't think anyone has ever been arrested for driving under the influence of chocolate.

Speaking of which, great grandson Ezra, who turned 5 this month, was riding home from school with his mother last month.  He told her his teacher had taught them about the senses, and then he named them and complained: "But Mommy, she forgot one!"

"Which one is that, Ezra?"

"CHOCOLATE!"

So far, every member of our family has lined up with that young man!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8235 on: June 18, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
 Clearly a well raised grandson!

Got a new Sara Paretsky from the library, "Brush back". I didn't realize she was still writing, hadn't seen one in a long time. but I must have missed a few: V I has a new boyfriend.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/p/sara-paretsky/

nlhome

« Reply #8236 on: June 19, 2016, 02:18:17 PM »
I picked up a copy of Eva's Eye also, and I do like Inspector Sejer, but I got 3/4 of the way through the book and could not finish. That's unusual when I've invested so much time in reading.

evergreen

« Reply #8237 on: June 19, 2016, 02:33:30 PM »
There is an article in The Atlantic Magazine entitled "Women Are Writing The Best Crime Novels" which you may find interesting.  I'm sorry I don't know how to put the link in here, but if you go to theatlantic.com there is a link on the front page.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8238 on: June 19, 2016, 02:41:05 PM »
EVERGREEN: that's interesting. I find myself reading mostly women writers, but I think that's my bias. I find it easier to take their point of view.

NLHOME: I'm having the same problem with the Sara Paretsky. it's heavy and I can't get comfortable with it. And it's sooo slow moving. I find myself counting the pages til the end. I'm going to give it up.

marjifay

« Reply #8239 on: June 19, 2016, 03:00:01 PM »
I just finished a very good Agatha Christie book -- THE MAN IN THE BROWN SUIT.  It's a stand alone -- no Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple but interesting characters.   The plot is interesting, although rather complex in parts.  But all is explained at the superb ending.  It's set in South Africa and I enjoyed looking in the internet to see the places that THE characters visited there while hunting for, and at times being hunted by, a criminal.  I'd like to visit there if I were younger.  A friend of mine visited there recently and raved about the beauty of it.

Now I'm all set to begin the latest Stephen King book, END OF WATCH.  It's the third in a trilogy of very good myster/thrillers, the first two of which I read and liked, especially FINDERS KEEPERS.

Marj   
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman