Author Topic: The Library  (Read 197696 times)

Frybabe

Re: The Library
« Reply #560 on: March 04, 2009, 09:58:05 AM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat always out.
Do come in from the cold and join us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not) right now.

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!

Frybabe: Babi, People of the Deer was written by Farley Mowat back in 1948. I doubt anyone has it in print anymore. There is always a chance someone has it listed on one of the used book sites.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #561 on: March 04, 2009, 10:12:31 AM »
Other people must have liked it too, because Amazon.com has a paperback printed in 2004.

mabel1015j

« Reply #562 on: March 04, 2009, 11:36:40 AM »
You Kindle users keep us up to date on how things are going - it's fascinating! Someone said it's like a novel - yup, but we know the "characters!" ......... ;D

Steph said after her husband was cleared of his testing "we will book."...........HaHaHaHa - I tho't she was using an old sixties slang meaning we will "go," " be off" etc......................reading on, i discovered she literally meant she would "book" - as in make reservations!!! Thanks for the memory and taking me back to 1968, even tho that isn't what you meant, Steph.

I'm preparing to facilitate a 3 session discussion on the 50's and 60's at the library, so i was probably in that mindset. .......... i'm still smiling.............jean

Frybabe

« Reply #563 on: March 04, 2009, 01:13:31 PM »
Thanks for the info PatH. I looked up Farley Mowat on Amazon just out of curiousity. I really hadn't kept up with his writing career. Shame on me! Anyhow, he as written tons of books including Owls in the Family which I have heard of and a book about Diane Fossey (of Mountain Gorilla fame). I think I would like to read more of his Canadian/Arctic books.

Here is a YouTube link I found of an interview with him. He is apparently very well known in Canada as a writer and environmentalist. He is active in anti-seal hunting, and there is a ship named after him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB3IQMZm7CQ

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #564 on: March 04, 2009, 02:08:04 PM »
Frybabe, many years ago a Canadian recommended Mowat to me, with a description which made me think I would really like him, but somehow I never got around to reading him.  Maybe now I will.

Gumtree

« Reply #565 on: March 04, 2009, 09:27:08 PM »
Aha!  Even here at the other end of the world I've read Farley Mowat...enjoyed him tremendously - The Boat That Wouldn't Float is one title that comes to mind. He writes with a great sense of humour coupled with reality - but all that ice and snow B'rrr! Didn't know he had written about Diane Fossey though.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #566 on: March 05, 2009, 07:51:52 AM »
Good morning everyone,
Ralph is finally in the pre op and awaiting to have surgery for the implantation of a Heartmate II heart pump.  Please keep us in your prayers today and for several days thereafter.  Thanks a bunch!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #567 on: March 05, 2009, 08:04:32 AM »
Oh Ann, that's wonderful news!  He's passed the first hurdle and is a candidate for the pump.  All those prayers worked!  Of course we will continue to keep dear Ralph in our thoughts and prayers today.  Thank you so much for keeping in touch!

Steph

« Reply #568 on: March 05, 2009, 08:04:37 AM »
Babi, I am always surprised at the number of people that have no books in their houses. I have good friends who never ever read.. I have a really good friend who only reads the n umbered romance stuff.. My brother never picked up a book.. His Son reads everything.. The reading gene or bump is surprising.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #569 on: March 05, 2009, 08:29:36 AM »
 FRYBABE.  My library didn't have "People of the Deer",  but I'm happy to say they do have several of his other books.  I'll be picking up one to investigate on my next library visit.

I'm very happy to add my prayer for a swift, successful surgery and a speedy recovery for Ralph, ANN.  We'll be watching for follow-up reports and good news.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #570 on: March 05, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
Steph, I'm wondering if there isn't something else at work besides a "reading gene" here.  Perhaps it is early exposure to good books - not necessarily from the genetic pool, or parental example, but from a good teacher, a librarian, or simply a serendipitous encounter with one good book that tempts the child to seek out more.

I came in this morning to share Michael Dirda's Washington Post  critic's "Reading Room"  with you. This week he puts our the question -

Who are the world's great storytellers? I've been thinking about this off and on for years.  We know that, say, Proust is a great novelist and Joyce a great writer, but neither is what you'd call a storyteller. In general, story tends to be undervalued when we think about the art of fiction. A lot of time we even view storytellers as at least vaguely juvenile -- thus the adventures of Sherlock Holmes and the "extraordinary voyages" of Jules Verne are now often regarded as essentially children's literature.

To me, the great age of storytelling is roughly the period from the 1860s to the 1930s, a time when mass literacy created a reading public, magazines flourished, and books started to be available in cheap editions.  What authors in this period strike you as great storytellers?

You might like to look in at some of the responses.  If you are tempted to join in the conversation, will you do  us a favor?  When you post, next to your name, will you put (SeniorLearn.org) or simply SeniorLearn?  We do need some advertising if we are to grow.
Here's the discussion -

We are in the process of getting up a discussion to register your suggestions for book discussions.  You just might note some titles or authors while scanning through those mentioned in Dirda's Reading Room...

Tomereader1

« Reply #571 on: March 05, 2009, 11:42:51 AM »
I wonder if the fact that someone is/was an "only child" factors into the reading bug.  I had half-brothers who were grown when I came along, so in essence, I was an only child.  My mother taught me to read very early on (although she never read much herself and never a novel) and when I learned to read, any nook or cranny in the house was a place where I could go and read to my heart's content.  As I had mentioned in earlier post,  my Dad read anything he could get his hands on, but mostly newspapers and magazines (Life was a staple at our house).
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

marjifay

« Reply #572 on: March 05, 2009, 12:15:20 PM »
Thanks, Joan.  for your post about on the world's greatest storytellers.  My vote goes to W. Somerset Maugham (The Razor's Edge, Of Human Bondage, his short stories).  Haven't read him for a long time - must get one of these and re-read now that I think of him.
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

mabel1015j

« Reply #573 on: March 05, 2009, 01:31:18 PM »
Tomereader - you may have something there about solitary children.......my three siblings are 8 to 15 yrs older than i am, so i was often the only child in the household, especially after i was old enough to read by myself, plus my parents were 42 and 51 when i was born, so by the time i was old enough to read books, they were in their 50's and 60's - not great "playmates".........we didn't have a television until i was 14 yrs old, so reading was a big part of my life in my pre-teens and teen yrs.................my son, who as i said, hardly ever picks up a novel, had many playmates and always was involved in whatever sport he could find. He, like my brother, will do anything that keeps him physically active, especially if it takes thinking and reasoning - so he's using his body AND his mind, but not w/ a book. When he stops and sits he does like watching movies.............................jean

Tomereader1

« Reply #574 on: March 05, 2009, 02:31:05 PM »
Mabelj, hey, I think you've been living my life!  My mother was 61 and dad was older when I was born.  I think we got a TV when I was about 14, too.  Since my brothers were so much older, grown and married, I don't know a lot about their reading habits, but the two who lived here locally, I never saw them reading (the youngest read a lot of repair manuals, as he could fix "anything").  Of my two daughters, the eldest is and has been a voracious reader, the other would prefer to watch TV, and rarely reads.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

EvelynMC

« Reply #575 on: March 05, 2009, 05:25:38 PM »
Ann, I will keep you and your husband in my prayers.  Please bring us updates as you have time.

Regarding reading...  My parents were also older, my mother worked days, my dad worked nights. My siblings were also older.  I had a lot of solitary time, so read a lot. --- My mother was also a reader and the evenings were spent quietly reading.

I read everything including cereal boxes.  ;)

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #576 on: March 05, 2009, 05:46:54 PM »
I blow the solitary child theory. Not an only child and only 2 years older than my sister. My Mom was a stay at home mom, but books were too expensive for buying at our house. I was allowed to use the Library and could read anything there. I couldn't and didn't have money to buy books...be it comic books or what passed for paperbooks  back then. 

My Dad did read the Sunday "funnies" to my sister and me every Sunday morning and he and my Mom both always got the local paper and the one from the big city...in the days when there was  morning (Cleveland Plain Dealer) and an afternoon (local paper)newspaper delivered.

jane

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #577 on: March 05, 2009, 08:34:16 PM »
Ann asked me to tell you that Ralph came through his heart surgery successfully.  Actually even the doctor was surprised and pleased with the results.  Both Ralph and Ann are very tired, of course, and need rest, but all is well.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #578 on: March 05, 2009, 08:36:01 PM »
Aaahhh, thank you Ella! 

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #579 on: March 05, 2009, 10:40:14 PM »
Can't go with the only-child-reader theory.  My parents each had two siblings - all readers.  I have one sister, both readers.  And we have four daughters - all readers; plus all but one of our 6 grands are readers.  Nobody that I knew growing up was ever without a book or newspaper.  And our girls never saw anything else, either.  It was an example sort of thing.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Frybabe

« Reply #580 on: March 05, 2009, 10:54:18 PM »
Wonderful news, Ella.

mabel1015j

« Reply #581 on: March 05, 2009, 10:56:57 PM »
Hi Maryz - how's the kindle "operation" coming along?

Jane - we bought very few books also, but when i was 12 yrs old i volunteered at the library - a little one in an old rr station in the middle of town. I loved shelving books, stamping the return dates on the orange cards of books that were going out the door, helping to fix damaged books, and getting to see dozens of books that i wanted to read!!

Tomereader - wasn't there another topic on SN that we had in common? I have forgotten what it was, but this is getting way too weird! ........Stay tuned, we may find out we're related ............. 8).............jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #582 on: March 06, 2009, 06:41:19 AM »
Basketball, literally, all day today and evening (6 games). But I'm taking my Kindle (and knitting) with me.  Terrific!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #583 on: March 06, 2009, 07:54:53 AM »
Thanks Ella, glad to know that all is well.
As I said, my parents were readers and my cousin who is 2 years older lived with us always, but I was an outdoor child. We lived in the country and had lots of animals. Always had a pony and a dog and cat of my very own. But I even carried books in my saddle bags along with a cold drink, an apply and a sandwich. My mother never restricted what I read in the house, so I read some stuff, that I did not understand until years later.. Anyone else remember Marjory Sharp?? and James Streeter.. Both big in my mothers library. Consequently I was always a big odd. I knew all sorts of big words and could use them correctly, but could not pronounce them. My teachers put up with me and taught me how to pronouce..I also knew about things that had nothing to o with our little farm community.. Havent thought of that in years. Heavens.
A wonderful story teller?? Thomas Costain.. remember the Tontine..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #584 on: March 06, 2009, 09:25:53 AM »
JOAN, I didn't have time to 'join' that discussion, but I think I would have added Edna Ferber to the great storytellers list. I'm sure others will come to mind, too.

So glad to hear that Ralph is doing so well. Thanks, Ella.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Tomereader1

« Reply #585 on: March 06, 2009, 11:25:30 AM »
Mabelj, I think there was another topic we had in common, but could I remember what it was?  NOT!  If you think of it, let me know.  I could only wish we're related, I have lost practically everybody, from my birth family, so have no idea how we might be "kin".  Where are you from originally?Tomereader - wasn't there another topic on SN that we had in common? I have forgotten what it was, but this is getting way too weird! ........Stay tuned, we may find out we're related ............. 8).............jean

André Maurois

mabel1015j

« Reply #586 on: March 06, 2009, 01:13:32 PM »
Tomereader - left you a msg in "Fiction" also. ...................my family are all from south-central Pennsylvania, Fulton and Franklin Counties, for generations. Good Scots-Irish on both sides. Altho, after i came to NJ in the 60's, i discovered that if i go back to the 18th century, both sides of my parents ancestors had starts in southern New Jersey!! There are some Germans in the mix from the 19th century. I grew up in Shippensburg...........maybe we're "soul-sisters." ...........

i'm sorry that you're almost alone of your family. I've seen my next door neighbor lose all of her parents and siblings, altho they have all lived long lives, and two of her adult children have died in the last ten yrs. Fortunately, she has some cousins in a neighboring town who are very kind and helpful to her........living a long life can be wonderful, but sometimes sad also..................i'm glad you have this "community" of friends here on SL and we enjoy you and your comments................jean

Tomereader1

« Reply #587 on: March 06, 2009, 01:27:03 PM »
Well, soul sisters it is.  My mother's folks were from Tennessee and my Dad's from Georgia, by way of Germany.  I have the good old Scots-Irish blood, plus Indian from my mom and the German from my dad.  We are all heinz 57's!  LOL.

I am thankful that I still have my husband, both daughters and all their children.
Somewhere in this vast U.S.A. I have some nieces, but the only time I see them is at funerals.  I am grateful that is not too often anymore.

I guess we will just have to remain (you and I) blended souls from our reading habits! ;)

André Maurois

nlhome

« Reply #588 on: March 06, 2009, 07:31:16 PM »
The only Mowat book I have read is Never Cry Wolf, which I found fascinating at the time. I may have to look for more of his.

My dad had an 8th grade education, and he was a good reader, but only of newspapers, magazines and practical books. Novels held no interest. My mother loved to read, especially novels, and late in her life she discovered mysteries. My two sisters and I are all readers. My mother read to us when we were small. We received books for gifts, and were encouraged to read. All 3 of my children, adults now, read for pleasure as well as for school or work.

When I was young, I collected all the Perry Mason paperbacks. I had a big box full, which I forgot about and left with my parents. My Mom kept them for me, for years, and finally asked if she could sell them at a garage sale. I think now that she read them all first.

My husband is also a reader. His mother, who is 90, still enjoys word puzzles, although she no longer reads books. She was a prolific reader until a few years ago, when she just lost interest. I'm thinking her eyes got tired.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #589 on: March 06, 2009, 08:16:43 PM »
tomereader, where in Tennessee was your mother from?

Tomereader1

« Reply #590 on: March 06, 2009, 08:35:48 PM »
MaryZ, my mother was actually from here in Texas, but her mother and father came from Tennessee, and she never told me where.  I had to interview her once for a class I was taking, andyou would be surprised at how little information she was willing to give me about herself and her parents.

André Maurois

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #591 on: March 06, 2009, 09:28:43 PM »
tomereader, where in Texas are you?  My parents were both from NE Texas, I grew up in Houston, and I still have family in The Valley and Houston.

Tomereader1

« Reply #592 on: March 07, 2009, 05:29:25 AM »
Mary, I'm in Dallas.  Born here, lived here all my70 yrs. :)

André Maurois

hats

« Reply #593 on: March 07, 2009, 06:32:19 AM »
Matthew Pearl has a new book out. Here is the link. I bet all of you already know about this book. I immediately thought of Joan Pearson because she introduced us to Matthew Pearl in such a memorable and delightful way.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1400066565/thebookreport01

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #594 on: March 07, 2009, 07:13:53 AM »
tomereader, We've never had family in Dallas - just John's folks in Ft. Worth, and an aunt in Arlington.  It's fun to find out about everybody.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #595 on: March 07, 2009, 09:27:05 AM »
For those who are interested about the new graphic in the NEWS at the top...

International Women's Day is March 8.

Here's a link:   http://www.internationalwomensday.com

Gumtree

« Reply #596 on: March 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM »
Hats Thanks for the link to Matthew Pearl's latest. I'm not sure when it's going to be released here but will watch out for it...
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Babi

« Reply #597 on: March 07, 2009, 10:17:09 AM »
MABEL, your post reminded me of my grandmother. She lived to be 95, outliving all but one of her four children.  When you think how terrible the loss of a child is, at any age, I would happily surrender so long a life not to have to bury one of my children.

HATS, do you have any idea what "The Last Dickens" is about? I'm wondering if it concerns Charles Dickens; I'm a great fan of his.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #598 on: March 07, 2009, 11:55:52 AM »
Well we have Tomereader in Dallas, Babi in Houston, Harold in San Antonio, I'm in Austin all we need is someone from West Texas and we have the state covered...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

hats

« Reply #599 on: March 07, 2009, 12:41:48 PM »
GumTree,

You're welcome.