Author Topic: Last Dickens, The ~ Matthew Pearl ~ October Book Club Online  (Read 63753 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Last Dickens, The ~ Matthew Pearl ~ October Book Cub Online
« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2009, 05:58:28 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Click register at the top of the page to create a username and password so that you can post messages in the discussions here on SeniorLearn.

Welcome! Everyone is invited!  

We are happy to announce that the author, Matthew Pearl, is joining us in the discussion of his  latest novel, "The Last Dickens," as he did with his "Poe Story"  and "The Dante Club.

Matthew's literary fiction picks up where Dickens left off in "The Mystery of Edwin Drood."  The story of the fate of Edwin Drood is a mystery within a mystery. When young Edwin disappears after dinner on Christmas Eve and his watch and chain are later found in the nearby river, everyone suspects foul play. Could one of Edwin’s acquaintances have murdered him – and, if so, what could their motive be?  Tragically, the mystery is destined never to be truly solved, as Dickens died before he could finish this novel – all that is left are the clues that can be found in the completed chapters.

Pearl  sends a partner of Dickens’ American publisher, James Osgood, to the Dickens' estate in England where we meet the "fugitives"  from the characters of Dickens' novel.  Is Edwin Drood dead or alive? Was he killed by his uncle, John Jasper? Or did he somehow escape that fate, possibly to return later?  We are anticipating more intrigue as Pearl's fictional characters search for answers in the author's well-researched fiction.

Chapter discussion schedule

October 1-6:     First Installment ~ Chapters 1-10 ~ June, 1870
October 7-10:   Second Installment ~  Chapters 11-17 ~ November, 1867
*October 11-13: :    Third Installment ~  Chapters  18-22 ~ June, 1870
October 14-16:  Fourth Installment ~ Chapters 23-26
October 17-28: Fifth Installment ~ Chapters 27-37
October 29-31: Sixth Installment ~ Chapter 40

Discussion Leaders: JoanP, Andy

Dickens' Gadshill estate, Kent
Some topics for discussion  Oct. 11-13 : Chapters 18-22, Kent, 1870:

1. How is John Forster, Dickens, friend, confidante and biographer portrayed here?   Do Forster and Aunt Georgy differ on how Dickens intended to end his last novel?  What did  you think of  Katie Collins' comment - that no one knows how Dickens would end his story because he didn't want anyone to know?

2.   Were you surprised that Dickens'  British publisher, Chapman & Hall  had not investigated Dickens home at Gadshill,  where he had been working on the sixth installment of his unfinished novel?   What did you think of Chapman as a book publisher?

3.  Why is James Osgood in such a rush to learn the ending that Dickens planned?  What effect would his failure have on Fields and Osgood's authors if he doesn't?

4.  Do you think the "few small gems"  that Osgood and Rebecca were able to find were significant?  Why is Rebecca interested in the books in Dickens' library?

5. What did they learn about the  white-haired intruder?  Had Dickens been really able to help this man at one time?  What does he want from Osgood?

6. Did you find anything of interest in Dickens'  will?.  

7.  How can the playwright, Walter Stephens, write a screenplay without an ending?  Who does his character, Datchery, turn out to be? If you read Drood, do you agree with this conclusion?

8. Everyone in London has a flower in his coat - for Dickens?  Why do you think Osgood's rescuer at the auction house is wearing an opium poppy?   Who does he tell Osgood that he is?  Why would Osgood agree to meet him at night?

9. Why does Frank Dickens suspect that the Bengali thief is hiding something else besides opium?  Why was Dickens able to locate the thief when Turner and Mason failed?  What did he find in Narain's remote village?

10.  "Though I am the guide, it is not I who guides."   What does Datchery mean as he leads Osgood to the Familiar opium den?    Has Osgood been left for dead?  Who was his assailant?  And where is Datchery?

Readers' Guide Questions from FIRST  & SECOND INSTALLMENTS

Related Links : SeniorLearn's Q & A with Author, Matthew Pearl; 19th century Boston publishing houses ; check out Mr. Osgood here; James R. Osgood Co. closes,  May, 1885 - NY Times ,   Listen to Matthew's Interview at the Parker House in Boston;

Some Recent Questions for Matthew:http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/lastdickens/lastdickens_q_a.html

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #161 on: October 10, 2009, 10:02:58 AM »
Hi Matthew!
Your interview with PBS's  Lynn Matagon, at Parker House, was very interesting especially when you refer to wanting to put your readers right in the middle of the atmosphere of the times and how Dickens was loved by the public but really put down by the press.
I liked the story of the mirror at Parker House where, in his bedroom, in front of the still existing mirror, Dickens would practice his stories before going before an audience.  It sounds as if he was a very good story teller and wanted to make sure that those seated in the large halls, got what they paid for.  
I felt sorry for Dickens whose private side didn't agree with being hounded by the Bookaneers (a real word that was used during the times of early publishing and before copyright laws were passed in US.) and followed about by crowds of admirers and the press.  Your feeling that this last trip might have contributed to his failing health and his early death 2.5 years later, and  I believe that you also think that the Staplehurst accident contributed to his poor health and depression.  Doesn't Dolby refer to that??  Tells Tom the story of Dickens bravery at the Staplehurst train accident.
I can't quite see where you are going with the hypnotizing scene but since he left that idea and went back to playing cards, I will keep an eye out for another scene with what he calls "mesmirising" maybe being accomplished.

Joan
Thanks for the heads up about "Drood".  I was considering getting it from the library but it doesn't sound very readable or enjoyable.  And, I certainly don't want to see Wilkie Collins trashed.  Speaking of Collins, I wonder what our author found out about him while researching "The Last Dickens".for now.

"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ALF43

« Reply #162 on: October 10, 2009, 01:16:55 PM »
Annie-  It is sad, isn't it that Dickens suffered the press as he did in those days.  Of course it's not much different with today's papparazzi, is it?

Dickens discusses his first experience with the art of mesmerism, learned from the famed English spiritulist John Elliotson.
interesting link

It saddened him to remember this time.  Joan asked us- have you ever been hypnotised before?  When I was doing my 6 month psych rotation for nursing in Rochester state hospital, we studied hypnotism and all the old shrinks from long ago.  One of the professors told me at that time I would never be able to surrender to a  hypnotic trance because of my "strong" personality.
 I've thought of that countless times over the past 500 years and always wished I had explored that further with the prof.   ???  hmm ---could he have meant I'm too darned stubborn to succumb to another's challenge or that I might revert into Mr. Hyde?
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2009, 01:47:19 PM »
I was in a group hypnotism once, started to go under, heard myself say to myself "no, I won't let another control me, and came out of it. So I think I understand what your professor was saying?

mrssherlock

« Reply #164 on: October 10, 2009, 01:47:36 PM »
Alf:  I can't imagine a demon like Mr. Hyde lurking behind your nice words and thoughts.  Does the idea frightenyou or do you get a delicious thrill thinking about how something so evil can be a part of your personna, safely hiedden behind your public face?  Speculation, how engrossing to speculate. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #165 on: October 10, 2009, 01:52:26 PM »
Regarding the term "incubus" you might (or might not) want to read a bit (or all?) of this explanation of the word.  Too much!!  Good heavens!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubus

My cousin, whom I have lost touch with over the years (which is too bad) was a chiropractor and believed he could hypnotize people.  Of course, I scoffed.  He was going to attempt it once but we were interrupted.

I read the link that Alf provided and it seems as though Dickens really believed, and his subjects believed, that he could hynotize people and by doing so, help them physically.  Perhaps it was what we today call meditation?  Or yoga?

I am being very slow as I haven't finished Chapter 13 yet, but am enjoying all therein and the posts!

ALF43

« Reply #166 on: October 10, 2009, 02:37:48 PM »
JoanK- perhaps it is the idea of another one being in control.  I just can not imagine a GROUP hypnotism.  Good Lord, the hypnotist might be in for more than he bargained for with a group of minds going off in their own seperate hells/direction.
 I love reading stuff like that and Houdini was one of my favorites.  The link is about Elliotson and very informative (Ella mentioned ) and I am a great believer in meditation, prayer and yoga, Ella.  It is good for the mind and spirit as well as the for the body.

Oh Jackie-
Does the idea frighten you or do you get a delicious thrill thinking about how something so evil can be a part of your personna, safely hiedden behind your public face?  

I believe that evil lurks within each and everyone of us.  It is inherent.  We learn early in life how to camouflage loathsome and heinous thoughts and words.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #167 on: October 10, 2009, 08:59:53 PM »
Oh Ann, I don't know what was said to discourage you from reading Dickens' Mystery of Edwin Drood - it was very, very readable - if you could put out of your mind the fact that you were going to be left hanging half way through!  I'll bet you check it out by the time we are done here! ;)

Andy - I'll agree  that you would be a poor candidate for "mesmerism."  You like to be in control of situations.  As a nurse, do you believe that it is possible to heal physical ailments with mesmerism - as Dickens is said to have done in the link you brought us?

No, JoanK, I can't imagine group hypnotism either - or worse,  being hypnotised myself and have a group watch me.  Jackie, do you think that's it - the fear that an evil side, or secrets will be revealed while "under"?  

Dickens tried to hypnotise Aunt Georgy - it is said she became violent.  Hmmm, does Aunt Georgy have a secret?   Is there difference between mesmerism and hypnotism - or are they synonyms?
I expect Matthew is going  to pick up the subject in coming chapters...

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #168 on: October 10, 2009, 09:24:53 PM »
"An incubus (plural incubi) is a demon in male form supposed to lie upon sleepers, especially women, in order to have sexual intercourse with them, according to a number of mythological and legendary traditions."

Ella, that's a fascinating link on incubus and succubus!  Now I'm more curious than ever why Mrs. Barton call herself an "incubus."  A simple explanation might be that the poor confused woman is confusing the two terms, not knowing that incubus is a masculine demon, and succubus, a female demon.  I looked up succubus - "a female demon believed to have sexual intercourse with sleeping men" - I think this better describes our Mrs. Barton and her fixation on Dickens, don't you think?

Looking at the schedule I see we are about ready to move on to a discussion of Matthew's Third Installment,  chapter 18. starting tomorrow  Ella, as long as you are enjoying chapter 14, please take your time.

Before we start, I'd love to spend a few minutes talking about William Makepeace Thackeray -  over the years we've talked about taking some time to read and discuss his Vanity Fair as a group. Initially there was enthusiasm - but it came down to the length of his novel (over 700 pages) that decided against a discussion.  What do you think?  Should we consider it?

Thackeray and Dickens were always at it - though I've read that they "made peace"  before Thackeray's death.  I can't tell what he is saying in the poem Matthew has included before the Second Installment - is he making light of those who love the sentimentality of Dickens?  Or is he just stating the obvious - that Dickens is popular - more so than he is?  What did you think when you read it?

This next installment is a big one- I can't wait! we return to the present (1870) - a few weeks following Dickens' death -  and Osgood's search for the end of Dickens' story.  See you tomorrow!

JoanR

« Reply #169 on: October 10, 2009, 09:26:46 PM »
JoanP  -  I kind of think that Ann was referring to the book by Dan Simmons called "Drood" and not to Dickens" book which is wonderful even if we only have half of it!!  "Twas I who gave the Simmons book a bad review (along  with many of the real professional reviewers! But we all have a voice, small though it be!!)

The trouble is my name - I get lost in the "Joan's"  - maybe I'll come up with something else someday even though it's been so nice to take  credit for all the great things all you other Joans say!! (Said with a smile!)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #170 on: October 10, 2009, 09:30:01 PM »
Aha!  Thanks for that, JoanR. Good to see you here.  We Joans do have identity crises every once in a while here, don't we?  

Now I get it.  At first I thought that Annie was turning from Dickens because of something said here.   Any thoughts on the incubus matter?  Or Thackeray's little ditty in the front of Installment Two?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #171 on: October 11, 2009, 10:35:05 AM »
JoanR,
You are correct about the "Drood" that I was referring to.  Thanks for letting JoanP know.

About hypnotizing,  I had had surgery back in the olden days and when the dr came to remove the stitches in the hospital, he claimed he would hypnotize me, I thought that would be okay.  So he started his procedure and I, being too alert while watching what he would do, wasn't even close to being asleep but my roommate was out cold.  Too bad, she didn't have any stitches to remove!   :D
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #172 on: October 11, 2009, 12:33:09 PM »
Annie - that's funny!
I only have one hypnotism story -

Last week my son was home with the kids at night while wife was at a PTA meeting.  Two year old Cassidy had been having sleep issues - would only get to sleep in her own room when someone sat with her until she was asleep.  Son got a business call after about 20 minutes of sitting with her.  She began to cry when son left the room.  Six year old Riley went in to sit with her.  After a minute or two, she stopped crying - Son  went into her room at the end of the call and she was sound asleep.  The next morning when asked how he got her to sleep, he shrugged and said, "I hypnotized her like I saw on TV."

What do you think?  Should he do this every night?

No one has any ideas on Mrs. Barton, the "incubus?"  Maybe SHE is NOT a she at all...a man in disguise?  
I'm sure we haven't heard the last of her.  Let's add her identity to our list of mysteries -

and move on to the THIRD INSTALLMENT.  This is big - we go right to Dickens estate - James is just in time to beat the moving vans to get a look at Dickens'  study before it is packed up - (and sent where?)

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #173 on: October 11, 2009, 01:23:51 PM »
When Forster takes them to Dicken's home we meet Aunt Georgy and Dicken's daughter, Mamie, who both mourn the loss of the house and all its valuable goods.  In the meantime, the auctioneer who will sell the house itself, glides through the house making sure it is in good condition and preparing it for the auction.  Georgy offers them a chance to investigate the Swiss chalet where Dickens wrote his books.
Osgood and Rebecca jump at the chance to see this sacred place. Peering around at what the writing room holds, they see a figure on the mantle?? of an Oriental man smoking a pipe and the figure is quite heavy.   I think we need to put this down as a clue.  Maybe connected the first installment with India and the sending of opium to China to sell.  (Did we all know that GB wanted China's tea so they offered to pay for the tea with opium?? I read that in another book but will research the true history later.)
Also, while there and looking through a spy glass, James, sees an old man with wild hair seeming to look at him,too.  Then the old man appears the next day at the chalet but a servant removes him before he can say much.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: October 11, 2009, 01:35:22 PM »
Joan, Riley is so precocious. Hypnotizing his little sister from something he saw on TV. That's a great story.

According to the dictionary, one of the meanings of "incubus" is "nightmare." It could be that the term is used figuratively and generically, to apply to both males and females. I do think that Mrs. Barton seems to be deranged, following Dickens around. Maybe she'll turn out to be one of his worst nightmares!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #175 on: October 11, 2009, 03:13:04 PM »
Gadshill Place is a tourist attraction today and even the room behind the books is there.

http://www.lang.nagoya-u.ac.jp/~matsuoka/CD-Gadshill.html

The poem, JOAN!  Thackeray's poem about Nicholas Nickleby.  It's one of those you are meant to ponder and come away with different meanings each time.  When I first read it I thought the child read it in all her different moods and then enjoyed it so much she decided she needed to read it again.  ??????????

ANN has introduced us to the next chapters which I thought were more passive in that they did not have the drama of the Second Installment and we read of the journeys of Osgood and Rebecca (at least through Chapters 17).  The wild fellow in the "hop" fields (what are they) added drama didn't he?

I didn't care for Mr. Forster; he seemed loud and too prideful to me and downright nasty in his opinion of Americans,  but Georgy was warm and loveable.  The two were the executors of Dickens' will and that is strange.  At the time women were not given much responsibility in administrative affairs.

Forster has nothing but scorn for Dickens' children - "his many sons, like him in no aspect but his name, lead expensive, wasteful lives" - and that is true, correct?

And Chapman!  A businessman?  Described as looking "the part of a sportsman and man of leisure, far more than that of a bookman" I would not have believed that Dickens put much faith in the publisher.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #176 on: October 11, 2009, 04:08:30 PM »
Here's a link to the history of Great Britian's trading of opium for tea.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/history-of-tea-in-hong-kong-tea-opium-and-the-balance-of-trade.html

Its spelled out pretty good in the second paragraph of "Cultural Differences, The Demand for Bullion and the Opium Wars.

Oh, Ella, don't you wish we could all go to England, Kent and visit Gadshill???

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #177 on: October 11, 2009, 04:18:41 PM »
Well, Marcie, if "incubus"  can refer to both male and female demons, that would explain Mrs. Barton's use of the term, wouldn't it?   Do you think she's dangerous?  Dangerous enough to turn up again three years later?  

When I first read it I thought the child read it in all her different moods and then enjoyed it so much she decided she needed to read it again
Ella, do you think the "little girl"  who reads Nicholas Nickleby could be Mrs. Barton?  Remember how she kept changing her disguise at Dickens'  performances?  (to suit her different moods?) She seems to have committed much that Dickens wrote to heart.  Maybe it is because she has read so much of his work that it has affected her mind?  Are you familiar with this novel?  Do you think she's dangerous?

Don't worry, you haven't read enough of the Third Installment to reach the action.  You won't believe what happens in this one!

I couldn't believe that DIckens had chosen Mr. Chapman as his publisher!  Wouldn't you think that a man of Dickens' stature could have chosen anyone in London to handle the publication of his books?  Why Chapman and Hall?  I'm wondering if he's a fictional character - we'll have to ask Matthew!  Could you believe that it is weeks since Dickens died - Chapman has seen all six installments - and knows there will be no more.  Wouldn't you think he would have investigated to see if there were more installments that he hadn't finished?

Annie, a month ago I was in London and visited the DIckens museum - a little house where he lived when first married.  Little did I know that Cloisterham, which is really Rochester, was only a 20 minute train ride from London!  Kick self!  Kick!  Kick!  Kick!  The setting for Dickens' Mystery of Edwin Drood.  Not only that, the Cathedral is open to visitors.  Dickens lived outside of this town as a boy - used to walk by the Gadshill estate as a boy and dreamed of living there.  I think it's a school today.  The Swiss Chalet out back was Dickens'  retreat where he wrote his Edwin Drood.  At his death, they disassembled it and moved it to another site - where you can see it.  I have forgotten where it is...

Let's go back - lets!  Only a 20 minute train ride from London!  If only in our dreams!

ps  Am reading the Opium trade now Annie, thank you for the link.
pps  Riley - precocious, oh yes, Marcie.  That he is!

Deems

« Reply #178 on: October 11, 2009, 05:02:04 PM »

Back from the beach where it was very fine weather mostly.  Quite warm--low 80's on Friday, hard to believe it is October.

Hypnotism--I have been hypnotized twice, once when I was in my 20's by a friend and then twenty years or so later by another.  Neither time was I actually "under," but I didn't want to disappoint either hypnotist, so I pretended to be their subject, lifting my arm very slowly during one experience.  The hardest part was figuring out how to act as I was brought out from the hypnotism.  I guess I did pretty well faking it because both men were very proud of themselves, and one of them said I was an excellent subject.

In reality, I am pretty much like Andy, unwilling to "submit" to being under control.

I'm busy reading out third installment.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #179 on: October 11, 2009, 06:33:44 PM »
Thanks, ANN, for that link on the opium trade.

No, I want to go China!  Anyone else?  I bet we could find a good tour.

I've never been and the culture would be so different than England.  I never knew just how Britain got Hong Kong but that link talked about the Opium War and as a result of the Treaty of Nanking Britain got the city and had it until 1997. I read about the city when it was given back to China and what the people living there were expecting.  I gather not too much has changed.   Very interesting.  

So, you were faking it, DEEMS, both times?  I've often wondered if that was true of subjects claiming to be "under."

Deems

« Reply #180 on: October 11, 2009, 07:05:35 PM »
Ella--Yes, truth.  Both times I listened to the voice and followed what it was saying, something about going deeper and deeper.  I remember the first time something about I was supposed to nod if I was very warm and comfortable, so I nodded.  And then there was the raising the arm slowly thing, which I did, trying to go as slowly as possible so as to look hypnotized.  But never was I anywhere at all except the chair I was sitting in. 

JoanR

« Reply #181 on: October 11, 2009, 07:39:39 PM »
Well, Deems, how about the possibility that you really were hypnotized and were given the suggestion that you remember nothing about it!!!  Could be!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #182 on: October 11, 2009, 08:17:39 PM »
Chapter 1: Turner says "Never lose sight of the true blessings of public service.  Each one of us is here to turn out a better civilization in the end, and for that reason alone."

At this time England is actively encouraging opium trade with China, creating new addicts, in spite of China's objections, to create a more favorable balance of trade so that Englishmen can get their cuppa tea with a suitable profit.

"Better civilization in the end"  Yeah, right.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #183 on: October 12, 2009, 07:09:08 AM »
Yes, another young man, eager to bring pride to his country, truly believes in GB.  The usual political nonsense fed to the young.
Here's a link to the Surrey Theatre:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrey_Theatre

I couldn't quite picture the horseshoe shape from four tiers but my brain is not quite awake this morning.
I have been to the corner of Blackfriar's Rd while looking for a well known pub for lunch.  Its the business district now and was eerily empty as folks had left their offices early on that Friday(happens everywhere in the world--pay them early on Friday and they leave soon after)but we did have a beer and some crisps before finding our way back down the subway stairs and home to our tiny apartment which was near an open pub, in Chelsea.

And Osgood sees the old man who accosted them in the Dicken's Swiss cottage at Gadshill.
And we hear some of the lines for a new play entitled "The Mystery of Edwin Drood"  It was comforting to hear those lines and other people's opinions about the ending of the book/play. 

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #184 on: October 12, 2009, 08:47:43 AM »
JoanR - a good point - Maryal, were there any witnesses?  I'm interested in the fact that the farmer was cured by the hypnotism - but now has mental issues.  Where's our nurse?  Can hypnotism really cure physical ailments?  I find that fascinating.

Annie asked about this "hops"  farmer  (hops - as in beer)-
Because of its abundance of orchards and hop gardens, Kent is widely known as "The Garden of England" – a name often applied when marketing the county or its produce, although other regions have tried to lay claim to the title.
Here's an old photo of some old HOP PICKERS in Kent -

So, here's what interested me in this farmer and Dickens - Dickens, sitting in his garden chalet, writing one of his Drood installments, notices  from his window, this obviously troubled farmer (farmer with a head of long white hair that looks as if it could be a wig or a disguise - does this sound familiar?) - stops what he's doing and goes to help the man.  He hypnotizes him - cures him, but now the man has no memory of anything that went before.  He thinks he is...one of the characters in Dickens'  novel!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #185 on: October 12, 2009, 09:14:23 AM »
Here is Dickens' Swiss Chalet where he had been working on the 6th Installment when he died...

Isn't this a lovely, private place to work?  It amazed me to read that no one from Chapman and Hall had entered since Dickens'  died - to look for  notes or outlines, or anything to indicate how Dickens intended to finish the story.  The moving men are in the main house - they will empty the contents of the chalet into the van next!  Annie, the figure on the mantle - the Oriental man smoking a pipe -  does seem to be a clue - but what does it mean?  Yes, I do see a link to the opium theft in India - and then the opium trade as described in Dickens' novel...and Dickens' own son in India trying to police the trade...

The lack of interest in learning the second half of the novel was due to the fact that both the publisher and the biographer believed they already knew where Dickens was going with the story.
Many people point to John Forster's interpretation of Dickens'  plans - saying that as his biographer and close friend, Dickens would have confided his plot in this man. This explains is why Forster went ahead with the production at the Surrey Theater. The same month Dickens died!  I think it's important to note that the fifth and sixth installments  have not yet been published in England - or anywhere! Yet the production of the play is in full swing! It's important to remember that this is Forster's play!

What do you think of Forster? Ella finds him "loud and prideful."  If Dickens had been planning a surprise ending, you have to wonder if he would he have confided in someone "loud and prideful"?  
The portrayal of Forster as a less than sympathetic character might be a subtle hint that Forster might not have been in on Dickens'  intentions...
Matthew, can you tell us if this is a documented description of Mr. Forster or might it be fiction?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #186 on: October 12, 2009, 10:09:34 AM »

Why doesn't the auctioneer want to put up for bids the statue of the man smoking opium??
I thought that I recognized the description of those eyes on our farmer who tell Osgood that he is Dick Datchery.  Yes, I remembered him from "Drood" and this is getting exciting as Osgood brings in books about mezmerizing and says its okay if the farmer thinks that he is Datchery, as long as he can complete the story.

And, we are back in India, while Dicken's son searches for the confiscated opium.  Hmmm, where is are author directing us next??

matthewpearl

« Reply #187 on: October 12, 2009, 11:27:40 AM »
Hi everyone!

"1.I really want to imagine Dickens in the old Parker House Hotel, to think that his room is just as he left it - but then I read this. Is the original Parker House entirely GONE? "The original Parker House and later additions were demolished in the 1920s and replaced with an entirely new building. One wing of the original hotel remained open until the new building was completed in 1927." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omni_Parker_House "

Well, that's mostly true. There is still part of the original building left, but most of it is newer. Still, it's worth a visit. They have a Dickens Room, and retained the fireplace and the mirror from the room Dickens stayed in.

"2. Were Chapman and Hill really Dickens'publishers, Matthew? If this is an accurate portrayal of Chapman, the question arises, why would Dickens retain a publisher like this, one who obviously does not value his work? "

As you can see from Harper, there weren't that many great choices when it came to publishers! Actually, Dickens did get fed up with Chapman some years before the setting of my novel and left for another publisher. But the experiment didn't work very well and he ended up back with Chapman. Some years earlier, a different Chapman was in charged, Edward, with a very different personality and business style. I did portray Fred Chapman as closely as I could to the real person, always my aim with a historical character. We can see what an uphill battle it was for authors on both sides of the Atlantic to align themselves with their publishers back then! Of course, even today authors and publishers often have different interests. Chapman, like Major Harper, was a very fun character to write.

matthewpearl

« Reply #188 on: October 12, 2009, 11:31:13 AM »
Did anyone notice the Charles Dickens board game I mention in the novel as being sold by enterprising stores while he's on his tour of the U.S.?

At least I think I mention it. I never remember what made it into the final draft.

Either way, have a look! (this is a PDF, just so you know):

http://www.gamearchives.org/rules/Whittemore_Dickens.pdf

UPDATE: I did mention it! p. 108 of the hardcover edition

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2009, 12:39:49 PM »
Thank you for responding to our questions, Matthew. That was interesting that the U.S. had lots of products related to Dickens' novels for sale. I wonder if the British were as enterprising  in that regard.

I too am noticing characters similar to those in Edwin Drood. In this installment, Osgood is reminding me of characteristics of Septimus Crisparkle and Rebecca has the spunk of Helena Landless.

ALF43

« Reply #190 on: October 12, 2009, 02:51:59 PM »
Oh gracious, I am behind, running in place.  Annie, I cracked up at your back surgery debacle, when your room mate succumbed to the hypnotist and you remained wide awake. :-\

And—Joan- I could use Riley right here next to me many nights when I pace the floors.  Bless his heart that he is such an attentive brother.  Actually, I really want Simon Baker ::) next to me but Bill is so touchy about those kinds of things.

I am still in a tizzy about Mrs. Barton and can not for the life of me figure out why she’s even in the story as a character.  Clara Barton???  Deems- old Clara’s trolley went off the tracks but this Barton chick is totally derailed!

It just can’t be Clara Barton, I refuse to even consider that premise (we nurses stick together, you know.)  As Marcie mentioned she may turn out to be one of Mr. Dicken’s worst nightmares (incubus.)

Ella- I agree with you.   I find Mr. Forster, the executor, to be very obnoxious; after being warned that smoking was not allowed in the coffee room he shouts at the waiter, “ How dare you interfere with me,”  as he chews on his nasty cigar.
 I hate people like that they feel entitled to – well --to everything and everyone, as if their wish should be your command. 
The old coot, all puffed up said to Osgood, “perhaps I did not express my relationship with Mr. Dickens very clearly to you….. I do not flatter myself to say that Mr. Dickens and I were on the closest terms and though I am aftaid he was not as open to counsel in regard to point of personal conduct, he confided nearly every detail of his books to me.” 

Oh Pullleeze!  Get over yourself Forster. I highly doublt that a man such as Chas. Dickens confided anything to the likes of Forster. 
 I fear that his reverence is for himself, not Charles Dickens.   Did he so eagerly take the pen with which Dickens wrote The MED for a token of love and friendship or for its worth and value? He is so full of himself, trying to conceal his greed.  Now I do like the idea he is serving as a lunacy commissionerKnow thineself!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #191 on: October 12, 2009, 02:53:32 PM »
Marcie - yes, and how about Princess Puffer in the opium den.  I'm not sure she was called "Sally" in Dickens' Edwin Drood - but I recognized her when she called her clients, "dearie"...
You mention Rebecca's/Helena's spunk... I remember how sharp she was collecting Dickens'  books on mesmerism and spiritualism before they were packed away - some of the "small gems"  she and James were able to find.  BUT - what happened to that spunk when James tells her he is going off with Dickens'  mesmerism farmer.  She turns into a scaredy cat and doesn't want him to go..  I guess she wasn't "ready" - but James was. (Ready for what?)   How did the farmer decide James was ready?

Matthew, toys and games - it would seem that book stores are becoming more like Barnes & Noble.  I've read p.108 in the hardcover and don't see  reference to this  Dickens' game - I wanted to see what Dickens thought of it.  I'll bet he liked it - as long as he profited from it! ;)

Thank you for answering our questions - can't tell you how much we appreciate your candid response.

"I did portray Fred Chapman as closely as I could to the real person, always my aim with a historical character."

I guess you've just answered the next question - since John Forster is an historical character, then you have not exaggerated in portraying him as an "ungenial"  character.  He seems "prideful"  as Ella says - claiming his close friendship with Dickens makes him an expert on his unfinished work.

I find myself agreeing with Katie Collins's response - No one knew what her father had planned because he didn't want anyone to know.  What do you think?  I agree with you, Andy.  I don't believe Dickens would have kept it a secret from everyone - except his biographer?  Unfortunately, John Forster published the biography in which he claimed he had inside information - the same way he put on the play at the Surrey Theater! And his is the voice the world listened to when deciding what happed to Edwin Drood.  Thanks for telling like it is, Matthew!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #192 on: October 12, 2009, 03:30:48 PM »
I seem to remember earlier it was said that Foster quarrelled with others close to Dickens after D's death. Matthew: I assume you,ve been as close as possible to your assessmsnt of Fosters character? If so, we can already see the source of the quarrels. Foster, in your interpretation, has appointed himself as the one and only interpreter of Dickens to the world.

This has some justification in literature, but it's dangerous: creating "High preists" whose word can't be questioned. It's even more dangerous in law!! I have heard of several instances where people have tried to appoint themselves as the one and only interpreter of a law on the basis of access to the framer's papers. This of course, gives them all kinds of power. This almost happened with my father: he had written the first codified patent law. After he died, a lawyer friend wanted my mother to give him my fathers notes. She refused, saying (to me) that she was afraid he would make improper use of them. When alive, if people asked him what a sentance in the law meant, he would say "It means what it says. If I didn't say what I meant, that's too bad-- it is what it is."

ALF43

« Reply #193 on: October 12, 2009, 03:30:59 PM »
I would be interested in asking Matthew if Dickens often did dabble in the supernatural?  Did he learn his hypnotic lessons by the reading of these books that were found on his shelves?

Using hypnosis and the power of suggestion, could he really have altered the state of consciousness of the old gardner, Joan asks?  After undergoing this hypnosis does he believe he is a Drood character? 

Hypnosis is a concentration that bypasses the usual critical  activities of the mind to get to underlying matters. The patient becomes much more open to suggestion and guidance -- not so much a loss of control as an openness, agreeing to what someone else is suggesting.  Perhaps the old gardner needed an identity and Dickens gave him one.
Deems- who were you when you were under hypnosis?  A traffic cop raising your arm ?   ;D

As far as could someone be hypnotized like that- sure, why not?  Children can easily undergo hypnotism because of their imaginative minds and they will follow the pattern of suggestion.

People block off what is going on around them, suspend their disbelief and enter right into a story just as if it were really happening and they are there!

Those who meditate religiously are used to a concentrative state and can easily enter into a hypnotic like trance.

Most studies suggest that about 25% of people can be easily hypnotized, while about 20% just won't allow it.   

Have you ever witnessed a "sports addict" watching a game?  He's mesmerized and hypnotised. He doesn't care what goes on around him.  Granted there are degrees of that, thank God.
Have you ever been on a retreat or in a mode of heavy worship and found yourself spellbound?   That is a form of hypnosis.  I have seen hypnosis work and I have seen hypnosis fail.     I don't know what's up with this farmer seeking Dickens help in the garden but like Mr. Osgood, I have no fondness for phenomena either. ::)

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #194 on: October 12, 2009, 07:15:56 PM »
No mention, MATTHEW, on page 108 of the board game on my hardcover edition.  

I wouldn't mind believing I was a character in a book as the mesmerized farmer who believes he is Datchery, but which book, which character?   Certainly, as Rebecca said, I want to be a character in a book that is finished to know what my fate would be.

But not Datchery!  An interesting case, isn't it? Another mystery within a mystery.  Will Osgood find out anything in his pursuit of the end of Dickens' last novel?  What will be ending of all this?

More mysteries - the missing item in the catalog of the auctioneer at Christie's, the plaster statue of a Turk smoking opium, and the two men who were forcing Osgood toward the exit.  What is this all about?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #195 on: October 12, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
The board game isn't on p. 108, but it's in there somewhere; I remember it.  I still have both hardcover and paperback, not having had time to return the hardcover to the library.  The paging seems to be the same.

Deems

« Reply #196 on: October 12, 2009, 08:15:03 PM »

Hypnosis answers--yes, there were witnesses, two in one case, one in the other.  The raising of the arm thing Andy was simply to follow the direction the "hypnotist" gave me which was along the lines of "raise your right arm very slowly."  I never was asked to "be" or "do" anyone/thing.  Don't know how I would have handled that.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2009, 01:42:59 AM »
I found the reference to "Pickwick Snuff, Little Nell Cigars and a Christmas Game of Dickens (for Old and Young)" on the bottom of the first page of Chapter 13. It's page 104 in my hardback copy.

I think that Dickens was a debunker of "spiritualism" but he believed in mesmerism (hypnotism) based on the channeling of "magnetic fluid" within a person.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #198 on: October 13, 2009, 07:40:53 AM »
And there's our man with the scary cane, out trying to con one of Chapman's gophers as the poor boy tries to get the haunch of meat into the wagon.  The man helps the with the job and then feels open to asking the boy some questions about Osgood and Chapman.  This guy is never going away.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #199 on: October 13, 2009, 08:18:48 AM »
What did he say, Annie?  Is this the first time we've heard him speak? - something about "a-learning the book trade."  A rather jaunty remark for a seasoned killer, I thought.  Didn't you expect him to kill the poor boy with that cane, right there on the spot?  The boy knows that he is asking about Osgood and his conversation with Mr. Chapman...what's to stop him from telling Osgood?  
Since "Herman"  is following Osgood this far, don't you think he must be following the "Datchery"  character and Osgood to the opium den too?  

Did you notice that Sally was speaking Chinese in the opium den?  Who is this woman?  That was never made clear in Dickens'  novel - though we expected to hear more about her in the second half.  Do you think there's a connection between Sally and that opium figure Osgood saw back in Gadshill among Dickens'  things?  There had to be a reason Dickens would keep it in a prominent place in his home - on the mantle!  Was it in the chalet where he wrote Drood - or in the house.  

While visiting the Dickens'  museum in the house on Doubty St. in London, I did see the plaster figure - it does seem quite an odd thing to have on one's mantle, doesn't it?