Author Topic: Soiree in New York City: A Retrospective: Come share the adventures!  (Read 135320 times)

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
Re: Soiree in New York City: a Retrospective
« Reply #440 on: September 06, 2010, 05:31:54 PM »

September 8-12, 2010
We Came, We Saw, We Conquered! We're BAACK!  

Author's Tea at Sarabeth's on Central Park South:

Morning at the Met: at the Metropolitan Museum of Art's American Wing

"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
Re: Soiree in New York City: come join us!
« Reply #441 on: September 06, 2010, 05:49:44 PM »
Andy, is this the Italian place you have mentioned, where you and Ginny ate?

"I have been raving about Don Giovanni's on 10th Avenue between W.22nd & W.23rd since having eaten there. The Italian dishes are hearty, the portions large and the atmosphere is casual and upbeat. It's great for first-time New York Visits as well as for those of us who have lived here for years, and want good food without attitude"

Looks close to Leo.

I need to get off this computer and do other stuff, but looking for things in New York is so much fun.

JoanR

« Reply #442 on: September 06, 2010, 06:23:42 PM »
If I remember correctly we ate in a place near the Leo House on 23rd st.  The servings were huge, alright,( I don't remember the name of the place!). but I like the looks of the Don Giovanni menu.  I see an appetizer I would have and then split an eggplant parm. with Meg.  She's a vegetarian & I don't eat red meat so that sounds good.
Does anyone remember the name of the place we went before?
I would hope to get together with all of you for dinner Thursday eve - wherever!

Suitcase is gaping wide and waiting for stuff!  The right stuff, I hope!

I appreciate all the well thought out schedules - so helpful!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #443 on: September 06, 2010, 06:43:11 PM »
Ann, those are those little short blocks. :)

Ok you and Mary and Andrea  can decide where you'd like to eat and when and I'll go, too. I'm agreeable.

I don't remember the Don Giovanni but 10th is about 3 very long blocks away. I like the look of it tho, very much. The one we liked was two doors down between the Leo and 7th.
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

ALF43

« Reply #444 on: September 06, 2010, 07:05:53 PM »
I don't believe it was Don Giovanni's on 23rd.  We got that recommendation for that restaurant when Ann (Pedln) and I were catching a bus.  I struck up a conversation and asked the lady the best Italian near by and she gave us that recommendation.  It had one name like Diana's or something like that.  I say let's try something new and hit Don Giovanni's Pedln, it is near by the Leo House.

Annie- 5 blocks = 5 minutes.  I want to go to the Marquis so I can revolve and enjoy the city lights. :D  We can always meet after the show, as well.
Has anyone thought about going to the Top of the Rock?  It's on 49th and 5th but I know nothing else about it.  I'm going to check it out.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #445 on: September 06, 2010, 07:18:21 PM »
OK Ann, I'll add the free tour at 11 am for High Line

Andrea, I really like your suggestion to exchange cell phone nunbers. I can't use my cell in the US, that is so strange, but if I get lonely or lost???  I can call someone from a pay phone.

Is there a lounge in the Leo where we can talk before going to bed?

Lucylibr

« Reply #446 on: September 06, 2010, 07:22:11 PM »
Don't forget Vivian, who is scheduled to come to dinner at the Bridge Cafe.  We are traveling together.

The Circle Cruise takes three hours, so it will be a little after one when we head to the Chelsea Market.

Eataly was reviewed most favorably by a local TV station this weekend.

Good idea for avoiding bedbugs!

I look forward to seeing everyone soon. Bonne Voyage!  Hope everyone has a pleasant trip.  Lucy

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #447 on: September 06, 2010, 07:24:06 PM »
 New York Soirée  Calendar

Wednesday September 8th,
Fraunces Tavern Museum            =  3 :30 pm
Dinner at Bridge Café           =  6:00  pm

Thursday  September 9th,
Time to leave  Leo House Limo   =   8:30 am
Hudson Cruise around Manhattan   =   9:30 am
Chelsea Market          =  11:30 am
High Line - free tour         =  11:00 am

Friday, September 10th
Transport to the Met by Limo     =  8:45 am
Metropolitan Museum of Art      =  9:30 am
Lunch in the Atrium           = 11:30 am
Chariot and Cubiculum       

Hotel Marquis
1535 Broadway NYC         =  6:00 pm
Million Dollar Quartet      =   8:00 pm

Saturday September 11th
Time to leave is now         =  3:15
Tea at Sarabeth,          =  4:00 – 6:00

40 Central Park South
New York, N.Y. 10019
Phone 212 826 5959

8th Avenue Festival

Sunday September 12th
Breakfast with Andrea        =  8 or 9 am
Ellis Island, transport to pier by taxi
Brooklyn Book Festival
Broadway on Broadway
St Thomas Evensong          =   3:45 pm
Lion King              =  6:30  pm

Monday September 13th
Departure

Lucy’s phone number
Home 347-230-4776 – Cell  609-709-8849

ALF43

« Reply #448 on: September 06, 2010, 07:44:48 PM »
Vaya Con Dios, my friends.  I'm soo-o-ooo looking forward to seeing each and everyone of you.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

JoanR

« Reply #449 on: September 06, 2010, 08:40:49 PM »
Eloise - My daughter from Toronto has the same trouble with her cell phone once she crosses the border!
  We'll just have to make sure that we don't leave you alone or else we can leave messages at the desk for you.  You will not be set adrift!  I hope we will exchange cell phone numbers at breakfast. I'm just getting used to mine - don't even know what the ring sounds like!!!!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #450 on: September 07, 2010, 06:54:58 AM »
Right and when we get there I'll exchange cell numbers, too. We've got Lucy's, and she can be our Emergency Aid and Advice  number. hahaha (Zulema's message  was STILL on my cell phone till I got to Europe this summer and somehow managed to erase everything I needed on it including her voice trying to meet up and our misadventures there). hahaa)

Since Eloise's cell will not work in the US, we can make Andrea the Switchboard and she can keep track of us phone wise: works for me. hahahaa) This morning I was futzing around and couldn't remember something planned after one of our events, no problem:  Eloise's schedule to the ready, it's already in my purse.

Remember,  for those things you forgot, walk out the front of the hotel, turn right, and at the corner look left, across the street is one of those drug stores which stocks all those things travelers forgot. I plan to make a run there first thing upon arriving at the hotel.

It looks to me as if Eataly is within hiking distance of the hotel for those who like to walk? It's on 5th and  is between 23rd and 24th, so it's two LONG blocks down. (The avenues are LONG blocks, I mean wear yourself out blocks, the streets are short and doable). I plan to go there the day of the Street Fair, barring rain, it's in the opposite direction but I want to say I saw it, even tho half of it is not open.

Looks like the only threat of rain is the Ellis Island/ Broadway on Broadway/ Bookfair in Brooklyn day and 30 percent is not a big thing, cross fingers!

Any last minute concerns other than trying to get 50 pounds of books on the plane or train? hahahaa

Safe travels to you all!
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

ALF43

« Reply #451 on: September 07, 2010, 11:09:59 AM »
Sure what the heck, I'll be Sally Switch board operator.  I can barely keep track of me, but I am willing to try.

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #452 on: September 07, 2010, 02:36:14 PM »
Alf, I promise I will call you every hour on the hour  :-*

Just saw a mistake on the schedule about Thursday cruise time which is 3 hours long, sorry. It's the only change since yesterday. and the 8th avenue between 8th and 23rd street. Just on the corner from the Leo House

New York Soirée  Calendar

Wednesday September 8th,
Fraunces Tavern Museum            =  3 :30 pm
Dinner at Bridge Café           =  6:00  pm

Thursday  September 9th,
Time to leave  Leo House Limo   =   8:30 am
Hudson Cruise around Manhattan   =   9:30 am 12:30 pm
Chelsea Market          =    lunch
High Line  -  free tour       =  after lunch

Friday, September 10th
Transport to the Met by Limo     =  8:45 am
Metropolitan Museum of Art      =  9:30 am
Lunch in the Atrium           = 11:30 am
Chariot and Cubiculum                    =  after lunch

Hotel Marquis
1535 Broadway NYC         =  6:00 pm
Million Dollar Quartet      =   8:00 pm

Saturday September 11th
Time to leave            =  3:15
Tea at Sarabeth,          =  4:00 – 6:00
40 Central Park South
New York, N.Y. 10019
Phone 212 826 5959

8th Avenue Festival between 8th and 23rd street

Sunday September 12th
Breakfast with Andrea        =  8 or 9 am
Ellis Island, transport to pier by taxi
Brooklyn Book Festival
Broadway on Broadway
St Thomas Evensong          =   3:45 pm
Lion King              =  6:30  pm

Monday September 13th
Departure

Lucy’s phone number
Home 347-230-4776 – Cell  609-709-8849

JoanR

« Reply #453 on: September 07, 2010, 08:02:06 PM »
Have a good trip, everyone!!  I'll see you in the Big Apple on Thursday.  Will hope to meet for dinner!!
Maybe you could leave me a note at the desk.

Watch out, NYC, here we come!

kiwilady

« Reply #454 on: September 09, 2010, 11:08:08 PM »
Oh why do I live at the "ends of the earth"!!!

I hope you will take lots of photos and give us a blow by blow account of your soiree!

Carolyn

Gumtree

« Reply #455 on: September 10, 2010, 11:29:40 AM »
Hey Kiwilady - its our Yankee friends who live 'at the end of the earth' not us.

They'll have a ball in NYC - and yes, I wish I was with them too!
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

kiwilady

« Reply #456 on: September 10, 2010, 05:06:35 PM »
The thing is that because we are in cyberspace its hard to reconcile the fact of the distances separating us!

Carolyn

Zulema

« Reply #457 on: September 13, 2010, 09:59:57 AM »
It was marvelous seeing you all and talking to you all and I wish you godspeed getting home safe and sound.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #458 on: September 13, 2010, 10:15:33 AM »
Well we're on the way home, I echo Zulema that it was fabulous, EVERYBODY pitched in, we picked up 3 I think new people for the Books and 2 for the Latin. Both authors have written how much they enjoyed it-- will put their thanks in when I can copy andf paste.

The photos are fantastic-- wait till you see!

So good to see you all here! Wait till you hear the stories.

Ann just said she thouight this was our best one ever. I agree, really One For the Books AND the Latin.We had the largest Classics contingent ever too.

Give us a bit, you won't believe the photos and stories!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #459 on: September 13, 2010, 08:40:43 PM »
One of the best things about this trip was the great cooperation and spirit among all those who went. These are such independent spirits that we got a LOT covered. Just in looking at the list, I hope each person will come in and tell about their adventures in these or something else they did, share here with all of us their fun time because it WAS such a fun time.

I'm trying, till they all get home, to make a list of what we all did.

So far we've got the:

Author Tea
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
The Bridge Cafe
The Cruise
The Chelsea Market
The High Line Park
Eataly is Open!
The 8th  Avenue Street Fair
Broadway on Broadway
Sitting down the row in the theater  from  Bill Clinton
Seeing Jerry Lee Lewis play himself onstage  in Million Dollar Man
The South Pole Exhibit, Scott Versus Amundsun at the Museum of Natural History
The Lion King
Grand Central Station
The Revolving Restaurant at the Marquis
Ellis Island
The Brooklyn Book Festival
The Chinese Limo Driver With the General Tsao Complex
Shopping!
Limos! (We held our tradition up here, as well as on the subways, the buses and the taxicabs of NYC!~)
The St. Patrick's Cathedral 9/11 Concert
The Death Defying Bus Ride by Night
Being Rowdy in the Lobby (at our ages) and shushed by the staff....

And MORE!~! No we did ALL do ALL of   these things but some of us did every one of the above, and I'm really wanting when everybody gets in, to hear their own takes on the events above and the 101 others that we don't know about.

We need to thank Ann Alden eternally  for coordinating this entire thing so well and arranging  Sarabeth's, a million details,  but the authors and those attending really enjoyed it.  I've got a photo of Ann and Mary's door that shows exactly what was involved.

Thanks to Eloise who acted as unofficial events coordinator daily and kept track of us, and whose schedule saved the bacon for many of us!

Thanks to Andrea who unofficially was the Social Chair and Mother Hen and did a heck of a job.

Thanks to Mary, our MC with the Most, she can have the job in perpetuity.

Thanks to Lucy who honestly worked night and day, I can't believe the time she put in, wait till you hear,  to be sure we got where we should be, and really helped with the NYC logistics,  and to  Zulema for the great suggestions (that St. Patrick's was just perfect).

And thanks to  all  those, named or not named  above,  who attended with such bright spirits and...incredible attitudes, because YOU are what made it,  are what we remember,  and what made it perfect.  That's all I can think of, the shining attitudes, all the rest was pure serendipity. And it was!

The weather was perfect, the New Yorkers helpful and kind, and we have a new slogan to go with the A Train is the A Train but you can't say it in polite company. hahahaa

I'm really proud of this group, 7 of whom were Classics  Students, and how wonderfully everybody came together as a group. Will never forget it. I hope everybody gets  home safe, Gay on the plane to England, Eloise on the 12 hour train to Canada, and everybody else by plane train or car.

I've got something like 200 photos but a hectic week coming up,  so will just put up two now, one of the Author's Tea (minus Maryann's husband who was shy of being photographed):

I have more of the tea as well, and the notes from the authors tomorrow.

And here are our intrepid Three Musketeers at Ellis Island Before "The Birds,"  and I think I'll start there with my own remembrances tomorrow. hahahaa

From left we have Pedln, Joan R, and Gay from England, about to depart the dock for Ellis Island on the only day it rained. The sea heaved (I got a photo of it), the boat rocked up and down, the gangplank was straight down and slick as a seal's back and the BIRDS. I found I would not have lasted 1/2 day as an Immigrant. Maybe not even that long.

I am so glad it rained, it was such an experience. Everybody on the boat spoke a different...well... I plan to start there with my own stories and put in more on the Tea and the notes from the authors and the photos tomorrow afternoon. I hope everybody will come in and share what they each  did and saw,  their own memories, photos or not: a GREAT trip!~

I wouldn't take anything for the memories.

Something really surprised me about NYC this time, but more on that tomorrow. :)

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #460 on: September 14, 2010, 03:10:54 AM »
I got home one hour ahead of schedule and the train ride was great. I am glad I had that experience.

Never in my life did I expect to have such an exciting time in the Big Apple. Most of all was the joy of seeing my old friends again that I had not seen in some years was an emotional moment for me.

The hotel was so "downtown" that I walked to Penn Station. I could not list all the fun things I did during those 5 days, it was one hectic event following the other but I guess that looking at the New York City lights from the 48th floor revolving restaurant of the Marquis Hotel after seeing the Lion King performance was the most memorable moment even if they were all exceptional.

Thank you Ginny for organizing this Soirée in New York for us. I hope to see you all next time.    

Bow_Belle

« Reply #461 on: September 14, 2010, 07:37:18 AM »
Hello shipmates!

I have been back home for over an hour. My son has been decorating my office but unplugged all the leads on my computer. I so wanted to go online that I just had to get them put right and then log on to our website.

I had a really wonderful time meeting my fellow  Latin onliners and meeting the bookworms as well!

Lovely to see some photos posted already. I am going to sleep now as I feel like I am still on the boat at Ellis Island! All at sea!

All of you and many New Yorkers have been so kind to me and really went out of your way to make my trip so enjoyable and memorable. Thank you Grazia Mille!

Will write again later. My daughter is cooking my tea so I shall get up when it's ready!
Love to all

Gay

ALF43

« Reply #462 on: September 14, 2010, 11:58:44 AM »
Good day, everyone!  I am whipped, my feet are bleeding but my spirits are high. I am very proud to be called a New Yorker after this trip.  9-11 changed many attitudes and they are all for the best.  I can not tell you the hundreds of people that I spoke with when I went to "Broadway on Broadway" at Times Square & each and every person was kind, helpful and considerate of others.  This event on Broadway is the opening season of the 2010-2011 existing and new Broadway shows, hosted right on Times Square by Keelsey Grammer.  I was warned (like I ever listen well) not to go due to the congestion and the thousands of people.  Well there was no congestion, 5 blocks were closed off to traffic and the event was televised against the front of the buildings, up and down the square.  It was fabulous!!!!!!  They had chairs, small tables, and a huge bleacher set up at the end of it.  I can not tell you how much I enjoyed the 10 min. previews each show provided to us.  I even got to see the 4 wonderful performers from Million Dollar Quartet, which we had seen on Friday night.  I have to come back and tell you about THAT wonderful night.  
Each show was represented and it was well broadcasted- you could hear and see each and everyone of them with those "close-up" cameras.  I was so excited, I am absolutely smitten with Broadway productions and walked myself up the street after that to see The Fantastics who had a 20 for 20 deal going.  20 minutes prior to the show, it costs 20 bucks.  If you can believe it- it was front row for me.  I don't wish to lose this post- soo---

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #463 on: September 14, 2010, 12:12:35 PM »
From  dinner at the Bridge Café to our last breakfast at Leo House it was all super super super.  I don’t know how we did it all, but we did, and we can write the book on the big city -- what to  do, where to go,  and how to get there.

Thank you so much Ginny and Ann for all the efforts you put in to make sure everything was perfect and this such a memorable trip.  For me, seeing old friends again and meeting new ones was the highlight, but I enjoyed everything we did.  My girls loved the tea at Sarabeth’s and a chance to hear our authors.  I missed the concert at St. Patricks (opting instead for a visit to Grand Central Station), but what a treat to walk in to St Thomas Church and listen to that wonderful choir with the boy sopranos, and then stay for the organ concert.

Andy, I'll echo you about New Yorkers.  Everywhere we went, such helpful kind people, for which I am truly grateful.

It was a short easy trip from Leo to Brooklyn and the keys  with the color coding instructions were right where they were supposed to be.  I hope everyone had an easy and uneventful trip home.

More later

ALF43

« Reply #464 on: September 14, 2010, 12:14:48 PM »
I guess I am hogging the site, but I don't care, I just want to come in and tell each one of you how very much I enjoyed being with you.  Ginny did an admirable job hooking us up at the Met so that those who couldn't hear well were able to use the audio aids, provided by our lecturer.  It was extraordinary listening to her relate the earliest of years of "book-binding."  At one point we read a book entitled People of the Books by Geraldine Brooks (I think it was) and this lecturer discussed much of that information as we drooled over an early Ethiopian book and the story of its binding.  From there Ginny took us to the Curriculm  ;D-  (I will get scolded for that comment) and she gave us an informative, interesting history of this Roman bedroom.  I got to listen twice as Ann and Mary seemed to have difficulty keeping up with the rest of us. ;)  From there she provided so much in depth information and stories of  the Achilles Chariot which was dug up (that's not the right word, is it?) and is now on display.  Ginny is a dynamite teacher as most of us already know but boy was she fired up in this wing.  She did a sensational job taking us right there and I thank her for the lesson.  

Mary and Ann stepped right up to the plate at Sarabeths welcoming our authors.  I think I'm in love. :D  Oh this Bruce Frankel is my kind of guy. ::) Maryann McFadden as well as Bruce took us through their journeys as writers and I enjoyed their stories as much as I enjoyed reading their books.  They were very gracious and humble.

Zulema

« Reply #465 on: September 14, 2010, 12:22:58 PM »
People, you shame me with your stamina and good spirits!  The photos are fantastic and of such better quality than even two years ago (and taken all by different hands).  It was a wonderful experience for me although I did 1/4th of what each one of you did, but being with you, absolutely wonderful.

Thank you Ginny, thank you Ann, thank you Andrea, thank you every one, and Eloise and Gay especially for coming from so far away or from out of the country with a very long train ride.

Now you can all recover.  Be well!!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #466 on: September 14, 2010, 12:25:52 PM »
I recognize some of you from past New York trips and It's fun to see the pictures and hear all about it.  IT SOUNDS FABULOUS AND I'M SO SORRY I COULDN'T GO!  BROADWAY,  OH, BROADWAY!  Just the sounds of it thrills me - so tell all.  Thanks for the pictures!

ALF43

« Reply #467 on: September 14, 2010, 12:27:46 PM »
Oh hello Pedln, my favorite room mate.  I am pleased that your trip to Brooklyn was uneventful.
Poor Gay didn't fly back to England until last evening.  I wanted to stay and show her around a bit more but Bill didn't think that was such a good idea. ::)
I was so happy to meet Gay, (Gabrielle).  Ginny and I met her at the Airport and she said it made her feel like "royalty" to be greeted by the Americans, holding a sign with her name on it.  Between Gay and Mary, I laughed myself sore.  That British wit always amuses me and she is full of stories that just cracked me up.  I wanted to go home with her, meet her 3 children and have a"spot of tea" with all the family.  Gay, you were the highlight of my trip as we exchanged our stories.  You are always welcome here whenever you would like to visit Florida.
Mary- on the other hand I will avoid like the plague.  Mary is the shopper of the group and boy- can she shop.  After the Met, Mary and I walked across Central Park, from East to West side.  It was beautiful fall day and perfect for enjoying the bikers, the carriages, the walkers-- all of it. 
People say that New York hums- to me it SINGS!  Anyway, Mary HAD to stop at Chicos and I dropped a bundle while waiting for her.  It is all her fault I told my hubby. :o
I enjoyed watching Eloise and Gay as they absorbed the life of the city and all of its fascination.  I could feel what they were feeling and it gave me great joy.

Lucylibr

« Reply #468 on: September 14, 2010, 08:34:28 PM »
I'm glad everyone got home safely and that the visitors are pleased with their experience of NYC.  I enjoyed meeting everyone, especially my fellow summer reader, Gay, who posted with me almost every day this summer as we read Cambridge III. I was so happy to see Ann, Mary, Joan (who also read with us this summer), Andrea, Pedln, Zulema, and of course Ginny, all of whom I had met 2 years ago. I was glad to meet Eloise for the first time, after her lengthy train ride, which is the kind of trip I also would have enjoyed. Thank you, Ann and Mary, for planning the tea at Sarabeth's, which was excellent, with both of our authors so engaged and willing to share, and the food and venue also very fine.

Ginny, the program at the Met was excellent, and your comments about the chariot superb. Sorry I took you by a needlessly long route back to the Leo the day before. Thanks for all your efforts to make the visit memorable for all and for all the useful information you have posted all summer.

I am sorry I could not make it to Ellis Island. I got home very late Saturday evening because of subway delays, and I would have faced the same on Sunday with woefully little sleep. So I attended the Brooklyn Book Festival, which is bigger and better every year, even in the rain. There were plenty of indoor venues and the crowds not too overwhelming.

Next year I will definitely attend "Broadway on Broadway." I was the naysayer of that event having tried to attend it many years ago and as at so many similar events not having been able to see or hear at all. But conditions have improved and Broadway has undergone renewal. I knew there were chairs and seating in Times Square, but I did not link it with the event or realize that they would have TV screens and good acoustics in this day and age. I'm glad you got to enjoy it, Andrea.

Now I have to go--school tomorrow, both SeniorLearn Latin and Spanish with the Brooklyn College retirees.

Zulema

« Reply #469 on: September 14, 2010, 08:44:27 PM »
Andrea,

I apologize.  It was my fault about the shopping because I told Mary where to find Chico's and I guess you all did find it.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #470 on: September 14, 2010, 08:59:43 PM »
Ginny and I met her at the Airport and she said it made her feel like "royalty" to be greeted by the Americans, holding a sign with her name on it

Yeah well she should have been there with us the time  prior to her coming out, when first I then (because I got embarrassed) Andrea shouted GAY? GAY? At everybody who passed by who looked vaguely (I will admit Andrea's standards slipped a little, I mean I knew Gay wasn't 20 years old, and that she was not traveling with her husband, I mean really. Andrea was determined no soul should walk the exit from Customs unaccosted or feeling left out. One shudders to think what some people coming to the US for the first time might have thought?).

Anyway, finally when it did seem that we might be accosted for soliciting gay persons, Andrea changed to  her last name but by then I expected the entire place to come down on my ears. What a hoot.

Having just gone thru Customs in Newark a couple of weeks before, I knew we could pitch a tent and have blintzes before we ever saw Gay.

But I think you can see from the remarks above the type of persons we had at this Gathering and it really just lifts you UP!

I have much more to say about everybody here, so glad you got home early Eloise and safely and you too Gay, what an exhausting trip that must have been, the both of you, our international stars, one French, one British!

Andrea 20 for 20? Who knew this? Is it for all the shows?  Wouldn't have worked for Jerry Lee Lewis I betcha. So you liked The Fantastics presentation so much you went to see it? Love it. How bad was the rain? It sure poured where we were on Ellis Island.

Zulema, I do think the photos this year of our people are fine, and about 180 more to come. :)

Ella, so glad to see you here, do come back there are tons of great photos and stories yet to come!

Pedln, I'll add Grand Central Station to our list, tell us about it. You missed something not going to St. Patricks. I actually have the children's choir on tape, took a movie of it.

I'm, for my little slice of NYC for the day (and I hope to read 100 tomorrow from all of you) going to talk about our little trip to Ellis Island because for some reason it really resonated with me. I had never been there.

Here are again the Intrepids: left to right, Pedln, Joan R and Gay (Bow Belle) standing on the windswept dock (note the waves) before rain/ boarding the ferry to Ellis Island.  This is not the Circle Line Cruise Ship, it's a ferry but you could not have had nicer people manning the thing on the QEII.

I think Gay saw one of the Queens at the harbour, Mary, maybe? (the ship not a transvestite).

At any rate, you can't see Gay's packet of...what were they....fried cashews here. She's braver than I am (I wanted one of those NYC pretzels SO bad) she just bravely noshed and they were good, it was a festive quartet which boarded the ship before the storm.

That, believe it or not, is NOT the water we had that day but instead the water of the Hudson for our Circle Line Cruise. Would you believe the water was so rough going TO Ellis Island my photos are blurred with the ship? And it started to rain. Now here we were, recreating the voyage of how many --as imperfectly as we did, the announcements were quite evocative-- 12 million people, and I must say it was pretty sobering.  We first went to the Statue of Liberty,
and then around it to Ellis Island.

and it started to rain so hard that I actually bought and gave away and could kill myself for doing that, a super little rain poncho with the statue of liberty on it for 3 bucks. And all around us a babel of languages, foreign languages, people speaking in all sorts of different tongues. Ship was actually heaving up and down like a surf board, I kid you not.

When we landed at the Statue of Liberty however, one could not help but notice the ramp was straight down, it was slick with rain and one of us having just broken her leg a year ago  was not particularly  eager to do it again. I really thought we should turn back. I tried to talk some into this.

No no everybody said, no no, and so we sallied forth, one of us with fear and trembling, and the staff was so helpful (don't tell ME the doggone gangplank did not rise UP in the air about 6 inches and slap back down over and over) but we made it!  Then as we walked across a perfectly flat area, down went Gay, caught by Pedln from a total fall, but up she jumped black and blue and probably with a broken foot, and/ or knee,  and said (in the immortal words of Monty Python's Holy Grail: "tis but a scratch."

That's Gay. She's the knight in that film totally. In fact the last time I saw her she was striking out to do some shopping on the last day.

So with people like that around how can ONE  gripe and groan? Well, not TOO much?

So in we went. Pedln and Gay had relatives to look up, they got hooked up with a computer thing which will send them all the instructions. We walked in in the cold rain and thought lunch was in order but on the way stumbled first on a wonderful 30 minute film on the history of Ellis Island and THEN on the most gorgeous Christmas shop you ever saw, I mean it put Biltmore to shame and the most gorgeous gifts and expensive I ever saw and we had to seque out of that one in self defense  into the dining hall, super food, mine was,  but nowhere to sit so we went out on the covered porch, it was a tad windy and blustery  but quite nice and you could see the boats. There must be a Big Ship thing coming up soon, there were a lot of sailboats.

The BIRDS the birds, a horror, people should not feed the birds, this couple to our left  just left their plates and the BIRDS descended, good thing we were through it was Hitchcockian in the extreme. Big birds, pigeons and giant sea gulls, just ATTACKING the food. Where is Tippi Hedren when you need her?

So we escaped inside. We looked at one wing of many  of why some people had come to America, it was pogroms, just awful,  awful. The testimonies of the people who came for other reasons, it was quite moving. You need a day to do Ellis Island, a complete day,  and you need the audio tapes so you can hear the oral testimonies, but none of us had that much time, so on we pressed. We saw the luggage displayed, how on earth did they carry it.  They should give you a score card, how would YOU have done as an Immigrant? At this point I'm -10.

We saw the dormitories where they slept on these strange beds which could be raised during the day, very clever, actually, and we saw the Great Hall where they took in all of the people:

Then we went upstairs (where the dormitories were) and saw the things they brought with them, some of the dresses with wasp waists and the books and jewelry, it was fascinating. It's a place you need to stay a long time.

We did not see the wall of 600,000 names as it was outside and it was pouring.  I've decided to read more about this place and the exhibit I saw at the Museum of Natural History, I figure I saw these things, I'd like to  Read More About It. There were tons of books but ones luggage was at the Pay and Display point so had to leave them behind both here and at the Museum, but I'm going back. I'm going to read up on it first, pick a sunny calm  day and go back, I want to get in that Christmas shop again.

Then we got back to Battery Park and there was this:

The taxi driver coming in told us there had been a  ceremony there yesterday, (we went on 9/12) and as it turns out that ball was found in the wreckage of the Twin Towers, it was a sobering thing.

What I found different about New York, and this is just my subjective opinion,  were the flags and the people. Outside my window (I had two) in the hotel were three large  flags seen on distant rooftops, that's a first for me, I've never seen that before. I've got photos of that too.

The new subway cars (and every subway I took, and I took a lot of them) had new cars, have American flags on them.

I love the patriotism. New York is different. The man doing the commentary for the Circle Cruise lines mentioned 9/11 over and over. OUR Twin Towers.

To add to the spirit, every New Yorker I met was friendly, helpful,  and kind. With the possible exception of the sidewalk salesman hollering out, "does anybody want to buy this stolen s**&?" hahahaha Which to me is perfect NYC.

But everybody is kind. Gone are the jaded blase rude  New Yorkers, or if they aren't gone,  I didn't encounter them,  and I'll tell you, I loved it. NYC shone. I can't think of anything better they could do to enhance their being THE tourist destination of the world.  I loved the entire experience. Every person you met was kind, with the possible exception of the Chinese  Ninja Limo Driver  who I thought was attacking Ann, we'll have to let her tell that one. :)

Boy did we limo! hahahahaa There are advantages in numbers. BOY did we go in style.

Let's write down our memories while we still have them of the fun, odd, funny and dear moments, because there were a lot of them. Look in the heading at the faces and they will tell you the story.

More anon... oh...and yes, I figure I would have made it about 4 minutes as an Immigrant, and have a tremendous respect for them as a result. I have to read more and go back and NEXT TIME we go to NYC we must do the Tenement Museum.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #471 on: September 14, 2010, 09:13:55 PM »
Lucy we were posting together, I'm amazed you're still standing! Tell us about the Brooklyn Book Fair, did you see any authors you had heard of?  Who did you see? What was the weather like? I didn't get to go, trying to drown self  going to Ellis Island and all?

I am so glad so many of you enjoyed the Met. More coming up on it later.

Thank you Lucy for bringing your two friends, I did so enjoy Vivian and it was very kind of you and your other  friend, the teacher of knitting, what was her name again?  to take me thru the labyrinth of the subway, she even gave me a swipe on her card.  I hope she will come in and discuss some books with us.

It was a good thing, it really was, it was extraordinary. I think we should do NYC every year, I hate to say that but how much better can  it get? Of course there's the  Getty Mansion on the west coast. hmmmm

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #472 on: September 15, 2010, 08:39:22 AM »
I went with Ginny to see The Lion King and it was my first Broadway show, what a show that is. First off the story is an old time favourite but only in New York can you see what they can do with it. The sets and costumes were simply spectacular, unforgettable. The theatre was packed with more adults than children who were all mesmerized and so was I, I was simply blown away with the talent of every character on stage, the dancing and singing and the music was simply perfect and afterwards we went to finish the evening at the revolving lounge of the Marquis Hotel across the street from the theatre.

After Sarabath High Tea around 6:30 pm about 7 or 8 of us decided to walk from there to St. Patrick’s Cathedral for the 9/11 commemorative concert. The streets were packed and I tried to keep up with Andy, our marathon runner, I didn’t want to loose track of her because of the crowd, but as expected we became separated at one point and when we reached St. Patrick’s, there were only three of us but we got together again there. We went in and sat down in the back and Andy, Mary and Ann decided to move forward to be closer to the front to get a closer look.  It was dark when the concert ended and New York streets come alive at night when it’s hard to see one foot ahead of you because of all the people, but we made it back all in one piece. Good thing I always had a good night's sleep because days were so busy.

ALF43

« Reply #473 on: September 15, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Eloise- YOU my friend, are no slouch when it comes to being a marathon runner.  Good grief, I had to keep up with you when we walked back to the Leo house after our visit to the Chelsea Market.  I am so happy that you enjoyed your play, it is so exciting to be a part of that.
Wait until we tell everyone of our Million Dollar Quartet evening where poor Gay almost had a heart attack as she realized she was sitting in the SAME row- the same row as Bill Clinton, Chelsea, new hubby and 10+ secret service guys.  She became absolutely unglued.  HE is her hero and she wasn't about to move out of that line outside the doors, after the performance.  She was going to get a closer look and there she planted herself.  It was such fun to watch our visitors from another country. I loved it!  I an't say enough about this guy that played Jerry Lee Lewis that night.  He is top notch musician and performer.  He really looked and sounded like Jerry Lee did years ago. Poor Jerry Lee was at the theatre for the first viewing of his "life" done by this kid and he did sing d play a bit before the closing of the show.  He is old, decrepit and does not look healthy.  Of course beating up on his body (and sou) all of those years had to take its toll.  Wonderful music.

Tomereader1

« Reply #474 on: September 15, 2010, 04:28:26 PM »
It looks like you had such a marvelous time!  I wanted so badly to be able to join you all.  And what a beautiful group of ladies!  Perhaps the next time you meet I can attend.  (I missed the last one, too, darn it!)
I feel sure I should report you all, as it seems it ought to be against the law to have so much fun!!!  Bless you all for your adventurous spirits!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #475 on: September 15, 2010, 06:34:30 PM »
It is such a pleasure to read about all the wonderful things you did and experienced in NYC.  It sounds fantastic and it clearly was.  I wish I could have been there to meet you and share in the fun and adventure but, alas, my traveling days are behind me.  That is why I am grateful for your vivid, informative, funny reports.  Please keep them coming!
Thank you all.

Ginny,  we never saw Ellis Island. When we arrived in Hoboken, N.J.,  in the summer of 1954,  the facility had been closed. 
Traude

Frybabe

« Reply #476 on: September 16, 2010, 12:12:44 AM »
Gosh, when did you all SLEEP?  What an adventure.

Eloise, I forget whether you are in Montreal or Toronto. Did you take the Adirondack? I've been wanting to take the train up along the Hudson and stop here and there along the way. The other train trip I want to take is the Silver Star (or Meteor) down to Savannah, GA.

The lecture at the Met sounds very interesting. Love the photos, especially the two group pix.

On of these days I might get brave and visit NYC. I've been a bit afraid of it ever since I was a little girl. I was very disappointed to find that the streets weren't lined with gold and glitter. We had gone up to get grandma when she disembarked off the Queen Mary. I saw a seedy area of NY. Grandma took passage in the lowest of low decks where there weren't proper rooms or floors. I remember the floor was wooden planks laid down a narrow passage. I never got a look at the rooms.

ginny

• Administrator
Re: Soiree in New York City: A Retrospective: Come share the adventures!
« Reply #477 on: September 16, 2010, 06:15:38 AM »
Traude, so glad to see you here. I think Ellis Island closed in something like 1924. It opened in 1892, somebody check those dates. Prior to that and afterwards, people landed elsewhere.

But 12 million immigrants came thru Ellis Island. Tell us about landing in Hoboken!

Margie, you need to come with us next time. What memories you have! You and I will go back out to Ellis Island. On a clear, sunny day. hahahaa.

I have to say it, we do NYC well. We really did. NYC did itself well. The weather was spectacular with the exception of that one day, and note that we all branched out and did Ellis Island, the Broadway on Broadway and the Brooklyn Book Fair on that day.

We are admirably set up to do NYC, so long as Lucy holds out, bless her heart. hahaaa

Eloise I did not know that was your first Broadway show! What a trooper Eloise is, and I've got a photo to prove it.  Oh my gosh, so much did we pack in those few days, but the schedule was good, too, allowing for lots of time off or individual time, it was ....I'm sorry...it was perfect, but it's DUE to all of those who went.

The Lion King was spectacular, it was the 4th time I've seen it, they've changed it? They've changed a good bit of it, especially the second half, it's almost Japanese in concept. The theater was packed, I saw no empty seats. They've removed one of my favorite songs from the first bit, The Morning Report, but I've been singing the others ever since I saw it. What a good sport Eloise is, and how I enjoyed her spirit. We tried to do a pre theater dinner at the revolving restaurant, no, they did not open till 5:30 and the show was at 6:30. Ok, the Marquis recommended J's next door, no no no. NO. no no no.

Packed. No no no. I tried (in my endless quest for the chopped chicken liver of my youth) the chopped chicken livers, a pate with eggs. It was Ok I guess, if you like pate (I don't), and Eloise gamely tried some, (ELOISE, the FRENCH CHEF)  but the tuna melt? Please.

I sat there thinking oh dear this is not the kind of evening I had envisioned for Eloise, but then she said she did not care for rock and roll, all those drums, and I totally panicked (the Lion King?  Drums?) so we, ini our position right at the front, right in front of the speakers, at one point when the drums threatened to carry us off, I turned to say well now, how about the drums and she was totally transported, I wish I had a photo of her face, and enjoying it tremendously, as you see above, so it was a total hit, and The Circle of Life has been running thru my head ever since.

Ann said she thought that was one of the last performances and it's closing!!! I hope not so, it was a tremendously enjoyable evening out,  and it  made up for the hidjous dinner,  and I will never see it again if not on the aisle.

Jerry Lee Lewis as Andrea says, came out on the stage. Gay did not notice, she was taken up with Bill Clinton down her row as you see hahaha but I  had seen him on TV not a couple of months ago, it was a different man who came out on the stage, bent over like I am, moving slowly as he sat at the piano.  He will be 75 on the 29th of September.

The young man who played him, Levi Kreis,  is about the most talented person I have ever seen and was the perfect combination of deference and respect, it was a beautiful thing. People screamed and yelled, a  nice tribute to Jerry Lee Lewis in his long and often turbulent life.

Then he played like a ball of fire,  and sang in a 30 year old voice, and the house erupted again. He played two songs with the cast on the stage joining in. Then an awkward silence fell. The audience demanded more. obviously they had not prepared anything more. Jerry Lee Lewis said, "What we goin'  do now?" Another silence fell. The young woman in the cast looked dismayed, everybody froze.  This is Broadway, live, in the moment. The reason people come to Broadway.

A man I had not noticed previously  on stage, a small aging man with a guitar, standing amongst the young cast lined up,  seemed to say something amid the many suggestions hollered from the audience. The man next to me said he was Jerry Lee Lewis's accompanist of 50 years.

Turning to the piano again. Lewis belted out another song perfectly in the old style and left to a thunderous ovation.

As we exited the theater we were met in the place on the left we had arranged to meet a phalanx of police making people move back. You'd have thought the queen was coming. I thought it was Jerry Lee Lewis. I wanted to see him leave. BACK BACK BACK, move back. We were packed like sardines. Who IS it? There's a car waiting, is it two cars? Who IS it? Press everywhere.

Bill Clinton somebody says, Bill Clinton is in the audience. WHO? BILL Clinton, I say? Yes. Without thinking I said Who Cares? This brought up a roar from some of the bystanders, all of whom obviously cared.

I was trapped, could not move. Mob rule. As you can see here (here is a photo of Bill Clinton, do you like his suit?) Yes, people rushed ahead of me (I was first in line) to take his photo or shout out a greeting. He seemed to pause and wave, who knows? Who,  I repeat,  cares? But I have to feel sorry for the poor guy, he can't even go out to see a show  without causing a riot even now. What a life. You can see how something like that would go to any person's head.

This is what makes the Paris Hiltons and Kardashians of the world.

More to come, this was our requisite "celebrity" viewing for the trip. Gay will have to tell us IF she knew  Bill Clinton was down the row from her at the time, and what it was like. :)

Eloise, the Good Sport of the Year, and I took in the lights of the city at the Marquis revolving restaurant after the show, these are both good so I'm putting them both in:

And enjoyed the lights:

Prior to the Dinner at the Awful Restaurant, we took in Times Square from the non revolving Marquis Lounge: I can never get enough of these views:

I love these views. The  Marquis should hire me as advertising consultant, the cost of this view was the price of a soda. :)

When they built the Mariott Marquis, they tore down an old Broadway Theater, and the howls went up across the city. 42nd street was a sink hole of prostitution and girly shows and Disney made it clean again (again this is a subjective opinion) with its first show (was it Lion King?) and redoing the old theater. You can take tours of the old theater backstage and see what they did. They made it a family destination again. Even tho the Mariott Marquis built a theater INTO the hotel, people still griped. I think they should stop. :)

Gumtree

« Reply #478 on: September 16, 2010, 06:45:48 AM »
What a time you had - with Bill Clinton to boot!

Lovely photos of Eloise and the view - the group photos are great too but I'm guessing who's who - though some are familiar from the avatars.
Please keep the posts coming - this will be the closest I get to NYC - like Traude my travelling days are done.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #479 on: September 16, 2010, 11:17:29 AM »
Hello to my fellow travelers plus others who will enjoy the descriptions of our travels in the Big Apple!  And we have now had three huge bites and are going for the whole apple in the future.  

Thanks to all who helped us accomplish an outstanding visit.  First of all to Ginny who is undaunted by NYC and just jumps right in to see that we all have a wonderful time.  Her beautiful description of the Cubiculum and Achilles Chariot at the Met kept Mary and I in step with the rest of the crew.  I don't remember how we got lost.

And to Lucy, who not only took us on a Circle Line Cruise but also kept us so neatly aware of all the things the city had to offer BEFORE we even left our homes to travel.  And Zulema who added to Lucy's knowledge along with Janet, another of Lucy's friends, who knew some interesting things not mentioned by our cruise captain.  Although he did cover most sights along the Hudson River with much aplomb!

To Pedl'n who intrduced us to the High Line Park, newest park in NYC, crafted from the old High Line railroad trail which was built and opened during the depression or just before.

To Alf who played Nurse Ratchet in comedy drag!  The woman should be on Comedy Central!  What a hoot!

Mary and I spent a delightful day with Eloise, eating our way across town.  When I saw the Plaza Hotel just waiting for us to enter, I was mesmerized.  Seeing Eloise's name up in bright letters advertising a gift shop, we had to go see it.  Mary took a picture of our Eloise with the sign behind her saying, "Eloise Lives at the Plaza" which is a title of an old book about a little girl who did live in the hotel. The gift shop was totally pink and Eloisey.  Outrageous prices but great fun.  We peaked in at the Palm Court restaurant just for fun.

And to all of you who joined us and added so much to the tours and concerts

Each of our trips have shown us that one can never see it all in a lifetime.  With the wonderful New Yorkers plus many of the tourists, we had little trouble touring this wonderful magic city.  And it is magic!  I haven't quite gotten it out of my system and am definitely not on the right page yet.  When I read these posts about the trip I am right back there laughing and talking and racing to keep up.  Well you know from what has been posted here.  

There was so much but I will add the day everyone said goodbye in the Leo's Cafe.  Monday, the 12th!

Mary and I subwayed up to to 87th to get a good look at the Guggenheim Art Museum.

On the way, Mary just had to stop at Williams&Sonoma to ask about their classes which are offered all around the world.  She was interested in finding one in NC. We then spent awhile sitting on the floor reading their cookbooks while their resident chef told us all about the classes which we couldn't attend since we don't live there!!.  She even took our email addresses for some reason.  Don't ask me why, I forget!

We finally got to the Guggenheim where we found many folks inside taking pictures of that spiraling walkway up to the top.  Actually we weren't going to see the art, just Frank Lloyd Wright's architecture. I did buy a few souvenirs in the gift shop.  Wonderful photos!

Suddenly struck by hunger, we walked around in circles, finally stepped into a wine shop where a nice gentleman recommended a French place which we never found.  But, we did find "Centolire"(is that French?) and its wonderful menu with the most delicious Bread Pudding for dessert. We planned to return later to get another serving of that pudding but the storm gods had other ideas.

Off we went to walk across Central Park, view the Jackie Onassis Reservoir where Mary kept insisting it was going to storm.  No, no said I.  The sun is shining and that dark sky is too far away.  On we went, deeper into the park when the rain hit plus the thunder and the lightening and there we were walking among all those tall trees! We hurried across Central Park West Ave to the Natural History Museum and sat on the covered steps for awhile with many rain soaked folks.

Not wanting to return to the Leo yet, we decided we would brave the rain and walk to Central Park South to eat. We were on 79th St! As the rain tried to drown us, the bicycle rickshaw men spotted our plight and offered rides to our destination for $35, $25 and finally $10 from a sweet young man named Jim, who was from Turkey.  

Now its pouring and the wind is whipping us around like leaves so we boarded.  He zipped us inside the cart and took off, battling the weather and the wind.  With the wind trying to tear his poncho asunder as he swerved back and forth in traffic, he took a short cut into the park and out onto 59th St(Central Park South) 20 blocks away.  We did tip him big time and entered Mickey Mantle's Sports Bar where we had had lunch with Eloise on Saturday.  Sloshing through the restaurant, we gratefully sat on their offered napkins(8) and had pie and a Kahlua and Creme.  Are we eating and drinking too many carbs here??

Planning to return to the hotel, we bussed to 23rd where I just had to show Mary Eately! Another hour of pure joy!

Later, in our room, Mary and I moaning about our aching feet, I decided to fill the bathtub and soak mine. Reaching for the drain plug, I fell in!  Mary rescued me so we sat on the side of the tub, and soaked our feet together and laughing about our day! A perfect ending to a perfect day!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey