Author Topic: Non-Fiction  (Read 417252 times)

mabel1015j

Re: Non-Fiction
« Reply #240 on: April 08, 2009, 12:57:03 PM »

TO NONFICTION BOOK TALK

What are you reading?  Autobiographies, biographies, history, politics?

Tell us about the book; the good and the bad of it. 

Let's talk books!

Discussion Leader: Ella Gibbons

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to go back to look for something in the SN archives, but my bookmarked site wouldn't take me to it. Does anyone know the "address" for it? .................jean

HaroldArnold

« Reply #241 on: April 08, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
Here is how I found the old History discussion archive that I referenced in my earlier post:

1 From the main Seniorslearn discussion menue scroll down and click"Archived Pre 2007 Book discussions."

2. From the resulting page scroll down the 8- Item list to again click "Archived Pre 2007 Discussions."

3. Depending on the nature of the discussion you want to access, choose from the Menu Fiction, NON Fiction, or General Book Discussions. 

For example, to choose the old History Discussion Archive I Clicked the General Book Discussion option and click the History Discussion I was looking for.

Babi

« Reply #242 on: April 09, 2009, 09:13:30 AM »
HAROLD, the recovery of Galveston from this latest hurricane is going very slowly.  I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a decade to rebuild, and I suspect
many who left will not return again.  Galveston is so vulnerable.  I heard stories of the one that hit when my Mother was a tiny girl, and was carried pig-a-back through the flood by her Dad. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #243 on: April 09, 2009, 02:08:33 PM »
Thanks Harold...................Marni from SN hasn't joined any of the SL sites, had anyone heard from her? She was so active in the non-fiction discussions, i've just wondered if she's o.k............................jean

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #244 on: April 09, 2009, 05:50:18 PM »
No one knows about MARNIE.  I remember she had illness in the family when SN went down, but we all hope she will return someday. 

HaroldArnold

Re: Non-Fiction-Access to Archived Pre 2007 Discussions
« Reply #245 on: April 10, 2009, 12:05:29 PM »
Try this short-cut by clicking the following:  http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=181.0   The choose from Fiction, Nonfiction or General Book discussions.

You might want to bookmark this page for future use.  I suspect your problem is that you failed to strictly follow the 2nd step to scroll down the 8 item table to click the last item. Pre 2007 discussions.   Instead you went all the way to the bottom of the page to click another apparent Pre 2007 Link that dos'nt work.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #246 on: April 15, 2009, 11:50:18 AM »
Recently I read a short biography of John Steinbeck, who had a very difficult time of it attempting to support himself as a writer and often had to go back to his parents for a place to wash up and get something to eat.  But once he sold a book which became a movie his troubles were over. 

A couple of his last books, TRAVELS WITH CHARLEY, and EAST OF EDEN, sounded interesting so I looked for them at the library.  Not one Steinbeck book was on the shelves, so I had to request one.  What a shame.  As you know, he wrote about the human spirit in dealing with such hard times as the Great Depression, the Dust Bowl and poverty

Two years before he died, Steinbeck  wrote about how American literature had developed in his own lifetime.  I quote:

"Perhaps someone knows how the great change came which elevated American writing from either weak imitation or amusing unimportance to a position of authority in the whole world, to be studied and in turn imitated.  It happened quickly.  A Theodore Dreiser wrote the sound and smell of his people; a Sherwood Anderson perceived and set down secret agonies long before the headshrinkers discovered them.  Suddently the great ones stirred to life:  Willa Cather, then Sinclair Lewis, O'Neill, Wolfe, Hemingway, Faulkner.   There were many others, of course; poets, short story writers, essayists like Benchley and E.B.White.

Their source was identified; they learned from our people and wrote like themselves, and they created a new thing and a grand thing in the world - an American literature about Americans.   It was and is no more flattering than Isaiah was about the Jews, Thucydides about the Greeks, or Tacitus, Suetonius, and Juvenal about the Romans; but, like them, it has the sweet, strong smell of truth.  And as had been so in other ages with other peoples, the Americans denounced their glory as vicious, libelous, and scandalous falsehood - and only when our literature was accepted abroad was it welcomed home again and its authors claimed as Americans."

I don't know what to think about that last sentence, does anyone have an idea?

CubFan

« Reply #247 on: April 15, 2009, 12:05:06 PM »
Greetings -

I think that his final sentence illustrates the statement made in the Bible and in various forms else where :  There is no prophet without honor except in his own country, among his own kin and in his own house ... 

It carries over in all aspects of life/business ...  notice how often there is an "in house" authority on a topic i.e. technology etc - who is not paid attention to or rejected -  but someone 50 miles or so away is brought in - at expense - to say the same thing that the local person already said.   Goes on all the time in education.  Often the local person is recruited by other communities to do the same thing.

Once they are recognized for their excellence by outsiders - then the local community/country claims them as their own.  Must be "human nature".

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #248 on: April 15, 2009, 01:13:39 PM »
Travels with Charley is one of our favorite books of all time!  Our girls all had to read it in high school and unanimously hated it.  I should suggest they read it again and see what they think now.  Actually, I probably should read it again and see what I think.  ::)

I read Bold Spirit on my Kindle and loved it.  I ordered a hard copy to send to my 89-year-old aunt, then to pass on to our 20-year-old granddaughter.  My aunt loved it.  I'm in the middle of The Big Rich, and am fascinated with it!  I grew up in Texas in the 40s and 50s, and am very familiar with all those names.  I'm sending a copy of that to my aunt, too.  Thanks to those who recommended both of them.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mabel1015j

« Reply #249 on: April 15, 2009, 02:54:05 PM »
Wasn't Bold Spirit an amazing story? To go thru all of that struggle and time and then not to have happen what she expected to happen - i won't spoil it for folks who may read it in the future. And to be treated so badly by the people in her hometown and her family that she didn't even talk about it to her children and grandchildren. The Fates had to have a hand in getting this story out.......her dgt in law keeping the written story instead of throwing it out as the dgts were doing.........the grandson writing about her for the essay contest..........the husband of the author being a judge of the contest and suggesting she look into the story. It was all so senendipitous. I like that part almost as much as the actual story. Glad you enjoyed it MaryZ...............jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #250 on: April 15, 2009, 03:42:46 PM »
I particular want our granddaughter to read it, jean, because she's the most likely one to see that stories like that get collected and saved (also her mom).  I know there are lots of things that I don't know about our family.  And those who DO know are long dead.  Sighhhhhhh!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

CallieOK

« Reply #251 on: April 15, 2009, 04:05:07 PM »
I was able to tape conversations with my mother, her sister and my Dad's sister.  I will forever regret that I didn't think about this  - or, really, have the opportunity - to do with my Dad.

A few years ago, I put together an album about my late husband as a Christmas gift to our sons and his sister.  Unfortunately, there are no personal stories from him, either but I was able to write some things I knew about each phase of his life.  It isn't fancy; I did it all on my computer and printed out the pages myself.  I made copies for the gifts and kept the original pages in a 3-ring notebook in my file cabinet.

Now, I'm slowly working on my own story.  I took a class at the local Senior Center which helped me make an outline and start a 3-ring notebook divided into chronological sections.  I have pictures (not sorted) relating to each section tucked into a top loader with each section.  Of course, I keep thinking of things I want to include in the outline - and finding more pictures for possible use. By the time it's finished, it may be too heavy to lift!

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #252 on: April 15, 2009, 06:36:27 PM »
Good for you, Callie!  I need to check our community college and university continuing programs for that type of class.  We can take classes at any state school for free (over 60).

CallieOK

« Reply #253 on: April 16, 2009, 12:13:34 AM »
MaryZ, the lady who teaches the class here offers it in various places - the Senior Center, the library, a church, etc.   I'm not sure she has a schedule; I see the announcement in the paper every once in a while.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #254 on: April 16, 2009, 10:56:02 PM »
We'll vote the first week in May for future book discussions.  Some good titles in the header right now - still time to add some more.  We're looking for books that you think might make for a good group discussion.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #255 on: April 18, 2009, 03:17:01 PM »
I am waiting somewhat patiently for several nonfiction books at the Library.  The one about Frances Perkins seems to be popular as the waiting list for it is long.  And I have one to pick up about Brigham Young.

So much depends upon the author!

This morning I listened to an lecture on C-Span3 (History) by Simon Winchester  (2005) about San Francisco and the earthquake.  He made an interesting point.  European cities - old ones like London, Paris, Berlin, St. Petersburg -  have been there forever with no great disasters because they were built in the right place.  There are ruins in Europe of cities that were not and tourists love to roam there (Pompeii).  He speculated on cities we have built in the USA, particularly New Orleans, which he said should never have been built. 

His next book was about China.  Perhaps I've read it, I'll have to look at it.

Has anyone read any of his books?  He's a good speaker.

marjifay

« Reply #256 on: April 18, 2009, 07:27:18 PM »
MaryZ, TRAVELS WITH CHARLEY was a favorite of mine also.  Read it years ago.  Maybe I'll re-read it now that you and Ella mentioned it.

I also loved Steinbeck's EAST OF EDEN which was wonderful--the best book I read last year. 

Can't imagine a library without any Steinbeck, Ella.  Where do you live?
I'm only sorry I've never gotten to the Steinbeck museum in Salinas, CA yet. 
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #257 on: April 19, 2009, 11:39:28 AM »
Hello Marj!  There are Steinbecks in our Library, just not at the moment any at our branch.  We have _____upteen branches of the Library and when I put a reserve on a book (at my computer), I get the book at my branch in 3-4 days and I get a note sent to me on my computer.

How sweet it is!

The books shift around at my branch; some old ones appear now and then, new ones; many childrens' books.

Did any one else see GREY GARDENS last night on HBO?  Do you remember the hullabooloo that occurred in the press when the mother and daughter was uncovered (by reporters in a documentary) in abject poverty when Jackie Kennedy was the Queen of America?  They were cousins I believe; she did rescue them from their horrible living conditions.  Jessica Lange was wonderful in the mother role; I haven't decided what I think about Drew Barrymore yet.

I attempted to get the documentary and I was 53rd on the list.  I'll wait!

Babi

« Reply #258 on: April 19, 2009, 01:27:48 PM »
I remember "Travels with Charley" with great pleasure. I wasn't sure I would like it when I picked it up, but found it a happy choice.  I've only read a couple of his books.  He was undoubtedly a great writer, but I found his themes heavy sledding for the young and optimistic soul I was then. Now I'm old enough not
to want to burden myself with dreariness and melancholy.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

CallieOK

« Reply #259 on: April 19, 2009, 03:49:32 PM »
Ella, I saw "Grey Gardens" but did not remember the story - probably because I was living on a mountain top in Colorado and not paying attention. <smile>
What a pitiful story. I don't care to watch the documentary.

I agree about Jessica Lange and thought Jeanne Tripplehorn (of "Big Love") was very good as Jackie Kennedy.  What do you question about Drew Barrymore's characterization?

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #260 on: April 20, 2009, 02:19:10 PM »
Hi Callie.  Perhaps the worst thing you can say of an actor is that he/she was "acting."  That was my impression of Drew Barrymore.

Both actresses, Jessica and Drew, seemed to be speaking in an unnatural way, faintly reminding me of the way that Jackie Kennedy spoke and I am wondering if it is ingrained in the family to speak in such a measured manner.  Jessica seemed to be true to her character, but not Drew.

The documentary has become a cult and it was stated in an interview that both actresses worked very hard knowing their parts would be scrutinized carefully.  I remain open minded until I see the documentary.

CallieOK

« Reply #261 on: April 20, 2009, 04:06:36 PM »
Hi, Ella.   I read an interview with Drew Barrymore in which she said she watched the documentary several times to get the speech pattern right.
 I've never lived "back East" so don't know if that manner of speaking is typical.

I agree that Jessica Lange seemed more natural in her role.

Steph

« Reply #262 on: April 22, 2009, 07:49:57 AM »
I found and bought the second Wally Lamb on the prisoners writing project in Connecticut. It is quite good and much to my surprise and delight, he mentions our Ginny and the Senior Net library project. Nice to be recognized for trying to help. I remember how much Ginny sent off..
These essays are not particularly how they got to prison, but snips of their lives. Interesting.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

HaroldArnold

« Reply #263 on: April 22, 2009, 10:21:36 AM »
Today, April 22nd is Earth Day.  The following link is to a Barnes & Noble email promotion with catalog links to over a dozen book titles appropriate for Earth Day reading:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/container/2-3-merch.asp?r=1&PID=27095

For more information on Earth Day in the United States go to the Earth Day home page at http://earthday.envirolink.org

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #264 on: April 22, 2009, 11:52:47 AM »
Hello Harold!

Thanks for the links.  Our paper had a huge section devoted to Earth Day with graphics showing exactly what happens to recyclables.  Where each goes, what good they do.  So many are re-used, which is good to know.

HaroldArnold

« Reply #265 on: April 24, 2009, 02:21:13 PM »
Regarding Ella’s recent post on John Steinbeck’s “Travels With Charley, I vaguely remember reading this book.  Charley was Steinbeck’s old dog that according to text on the dust cover was afflicted with a prostrate problem.  Charley was Steinbeck’s motor-home travel companion.  My recollection of it is that it was an interesting fun reading, but today in my memory its importance ranks far below three other far more memorial travel accounts.  These are the John James Audubon “1826 Journal,” Francis Parkman’s “Oregon Trail,” and Rudard Kipling's “American Notes.” 

I also have a copy of Francis Parkman’s journals, “The Journals of Francis Parkman,” two volumes, Edited by Mason Wade and published by Harper Brothers in 1947.  This is an interesting publication because it contains not only Parkman’s original day by day field accounts of his 1845 trek through the west, but also his accounts of his many other travels including his early 1840s grand tour of Europe and his field trips through eastern Canada gathering material for his major work on the 18th century English/French strugge for control of North America.

I will in the future post further details on the Parkman and Kipling titles.  For now the following is copied from my earlier post on the now archived pre 2007 History and Biography board about the John James Audubon “1826 Journal”

Harold Arnold
June 26, 2000 - 01:08 pm
Here is a comment on a post regency/pre Victorian travel journal that I found to double as a social history of the time. The book that I am referring to is “The 1826 Journal of John James Audubon” edited by Alice Ford, University of Oklahoma Press, 1966 (Library of Congress #66-22713). This book describes the 1826 trip of the author from his home in Kentucky to the United Kingdom to publish his life work, ”The Birds of North America.” Apparently in the early 19th Century, the publishing expertise in the United States was unable to print the color reproductions required.   (Added April 24, 2009)  This is not entirely true.  I now know Audubon knew that a rival ornithologist was favored in Philadelphia.  Apparently he was not sure of a favorable reception there, and choose to go to England to avoid an embarrassing conflict.)

I was first attracted to this book because of the description of the riverboat trip from Kentucky to New Orleans where Audubon booked passage on a cotton cargo sailing ship, the Delos. There are interesting accounts and sketches of the voyage. It took two months, half of which was spent in the doldrums in the Gulf where the sighting of another vessel aroused concern lest it turn out to be a pirate. Once in the Atlantic the voyage went faster but Audubon showed boredom leading to several afternoon bouts with a bottle of Porter the effect of which left several journal entries illegible to his 20th century editor.

In Liverpool Audubon introduced himself through letters of introduction to several “middle class” families, meaning rich merchant intellectual types. These were principally the Roscoe and Rathbone families. It is amazing how easily and how quickly he was accepted into their circle. The friendship of his own in-laws, the Bakewells, was much more difficult to establish (This included his wife’s sister’s husband who was a Liverpool merchant). A showing of his bird pictures at the Liverpool establishment of the prestigious Royal Society was quickly arranged. A similar showing followed in Manchester while contact was being established with publishing experts in Edinburgh.

There is a wonderful account of the long stage trip between Liverpool and Edinburgh. Ten years later Audubon could have went by train. Here Audubon continued his easy association with the intellectual, professional and business elite. This contact led to meetings with a young Lord Stanley (the pre Stanley Cup, Stanleys) and Sir Walter Scott. It also led later to Audubon's election as a member of the Royal Society. The publication of his bird pictures began. This apparently involved the etching of copper plates that were used to make two-tone prints (Black and white or maybe sepia and white). The prints were hand colored with transparent light oils and sold by subscription at a price only the very rich could afford.

One negative fact to emerge from this reading that came as a surprise to me, was that John James Audubon was no ecologist. His method of painting birds and animals was to shoot the creature dead and by wires and supports pose the body in a natural and characteristic position for sketching and painting. While in Edinburgh he actually executed a street cat to make one of his better-known non-bird art works. Though John James Audubon is not recognized to-day as a great artist, he is recognized as a great ornithologist and his works in this field to-day remain significant. To me the significance of this book lies in neither ornithology nor art, it lies in its description of the society in which the actors, John James Audubon, the Rathbone family, the Roscoes, Bakewells, and many others played their parts.

Frybabe

« Reply #266 on: April 24, 2009, 03:28:51 PM »
Please sir, Harold, can I have some more?

My reading of travel journals has been limited. The most notable has been Dana's Two Years Before the Mast.  Recently, I read The Places in Between where the author, Rory Stewart, walked across Afghanistan shortly after the Russians left.

I love to use maps to follow characters or principals around as I did with the above. The first were Oliver Twist and Two Years Before the Mast.  In Latin class, we've tried to follow Caesar around on campaign in Britain. I've followed explorers, military campaigns, and adventurers with maps.

Babi

« Reply #267 on: April 25, 2009, 08:42:08 AM »
Interesting, FRYBABE.  I had never thought of "Two Years Before the Mast" as a travel journal.  Of course, it's been a very long time since I read it, so I don't remember it well, only that it was the story of a man who was shanghaied and
forced to serve on a sailing ship for two years.
  Oliver Twist?  You'll have to explain that one to me.

Frybabe

« Reply #268 on: April 25, 2009, 10:37:11 AM »
Babi,

Dana was not shanghaied but signed on as a working hand aboard ship, sailing from Boston Harbor on August 14, 1834.

He had become ill with measles during his Junior year at Harvard. This apparently affected his eyesight. He always liked the sea and on recommendation from several physicians, he decided to take a sea voyage. He didn't want to go as a passenger as he thought that would give him too much leisure time to read thereby counteracting his goal to give his eyes time to become strong again. After returning home he completed his studies and became a lawyer specializing in maritime law and the rights of merchant seamen. He also wrote To Cuba and Back: A Vacation Voyage and Elements of International Law.

For Oliver Twist, I had a city map of London to locate places and streets Dickens mentioned.  The internet makes it all the more exciting, now, because we have ready access to more maps, old photos and the like of places mentioned.

Steve Berry's The Templar Legacy was based on real people and a real church/monastery. So, when I did a search I was able to see the real deal. It is a fascinating story even without Mr. Berry's fictionalized overlay. http://www.renneslechateau.com   Have a look.

In our Latin class, someone is always finding pix of old maps and places mentioned in the writings of likes of Caesar, Pliny, Cicero, not to mention the archaeological digs and historical sleuthing done my modern (and not so modern) experts. It all makes history, places and people come alive for me.

Babi

« Reply #269 on: April 25, 2009, 09:42:10 PM »
You surprised me, FRYBABE.   I was sure Dana had been shanghaied.  Well, it
was a very long time ago that I read it, and I may have confused it something else since then. Thanks for setting me straight.
  I also like to follow any maps that the books include. I keep going back to
the map to follow the route.  Since many of those 'maps' are about fictional
lands, I haven't tried to find them on-line. ::)

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #270 on: April 28, 2009, 10:36:42 AM »
Anyone reading a book that's interesting?

I am finishing one about the Stanford White murder of 1920 (but I wouldn't recommend it) and one that I would is the Frances Perkins book.  I am contemplating offering that one for discussion sometime in the fall.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #271 on: April 28, 2009, 02:12:41 PM »
Yes, as noted in the Library, I'm reading The Big Rich and it's incredible, about the original Dallas TV  type oil barons, who knew that was not just a Dallas joke? Along the way I'm learning a LOT about the oil business, I recommend it heartily!

I've gotten to where I really like non fiction.
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

nlhome

« Reply #272 on: April 28, 2009, 06:47:17 PM »
I'm reading the Worst Hard Time by  Timothy Egan. It was mentioned here earlier.

My Grandfather lost his farm during the dust bowl years, so it's interesting to read the history of the times.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #273 on: April 28, 2009, 07:49:04 PM »
HEY GINNY!   I just got notice that my reserved copy of the Big Rich is in at the Library so will pick it up and take a look.  I am sure I will enjoy it as I read your post and one other in our Library site!  Yes, let's think about a discussion!

Before or after Texas secedes from the Union?  Hahahaaaa  Or breaks up into five states?  Think of the clout they would have in the Senate? 

HELLO NLHOME.  Yes, I recommended the Worst Hard Time.  A good book!

Babi

« Reply #274 on: April 29, 2009, 09:48:21 AM »
 Why does no one believe us? (sigh) You would be surprised, GINNY, how many of the Texas 'jokes' are fact. (Most, of course, are tall tales for the greenhorns.   ::) )

bellemere

« Reply #275 on: April 30, 2009, 08:42:58 AM »
I am also reading The Worst Hard Time by timothy Egan. I love the way he weaves together eyewitness accounts of the Dust Bowl years, and the families that went through it.  What a great cautionary tale about caring for the land.  It supported bison for thousands of years, and was destroyed in a decade by crop farming.  I wonder how conditions are today in Boise City and Dalhart?  I hope ;to read more by Egan.

mabel1015j

« Reply #276 on: April 30, 2009, 02:57:11 PM »
Since this is the 50th anniversary of the end of the 1960's, i'm facilitatiang 3 discussions at our library about the 50's and the 60's. The first one is "Seeds of the Sixties," or, the 1950's. That discussion has already taken place. The next one is the cultural sixties and the third one is the political sixties - yes, they are difficult to separate, but we are going to try.

So, i've been reading some books that talk about that era. David Halberstam has a mostly political book titled The Fifties, which is a good look at the politics that were happening - especially the Cold War. Halberstam also worte a great book about the desegration of Central H.S. in Little Rock, titled "The Children." I love Halberstam's style of writing.

David FArber has two good books on the sixties. One is a book of essays by various authors which FArber edited. It includes topics on Viet Nam, Civil RTs, Women's Liberation, the youth culture and the "silent majority." The other book, which he authored is The Age of Great Dreams: America in the 1960's. It covers many of the same topics in Farber's easily read style. It's hard to believe that those events took place more than 50 yrs ago.

I love that title because i have said to my college students, many times, that in 1970 many of us tho't we would have all the problems (civil rts, women's rts, environment, poverty, wars, etc.) solved by the year 2000! Now it seems to me that problems are never solved, they just keep evolving, or getting pushed back a step for every step that we seem to make in progress.

Is it left to the young to dream of better times ahead? .......................jean

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #277 on: April 30, 2009, 07:11:32 PM »
Gosh, Jean, wish I could be at your Library and get in on those discussions; they all sound terrific.

Is it left to the young to dream of better times ahead?  

- I think you answered this question by this remark:

Now it seems to me that problems are never solved, they just keep evolving,

CallieOK

« Reply #278 on: April 30, 2009, 10:47:45 PM »
Bellemere,  http://www.ccccok.org/  Scroll down to read about Boise City and click on small photos to see pictures.

http://www.dalhart.org/photo_gallery/photo_gal.htm  Click on links for pictures of Dalhart.  Click on links in left-hand column for more information.

http://books.simonandschuster.com/That-Old-Ace-in-the-Hole/Annie-Proulx/9780743242486  for a review of Annie Proulx' novel "That Old Ace In The Hole", which is about the TX and OK panhandles in more recent years.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #279 on: May 01, 2009, 09:10:02 AM »
The VOTE IS ON!  May 1 - May 5
After reading reviews of the nominated titles,
in the  Suggestion Box-  please vote for future Book Club Online discussions.

Thanks!