Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2011-2012  (Read 150051 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2011-2012
« Reply #400 on: March 05, 2012, 11:33:32 PM »

Masterpiece Classic 2012 brings back favorite authors and introduces new authors and programs. See the complete 2012 MASTERPIECE CLASSIC schedule.

NOW DISCUSSING

April 15, 2012
      The Mystery of Edwin Drood
      An adaptation and completion of Charles Dickens' last novel left unfinished at the halfway mark at his death, The Mystery Of Edwin Drood is a psychological thriller about a provincial choirmaster's obsession with 17-year-old Rosa Bud and the lengths he will go to to attain her. Cast includes Matthew Rhys (Brothers & Sisters) and Julia MacKenzie (Miss Marple).

COMING

April 22 & 29, 2012 at 9pm
      Birdsong
      An adaptation of Sebastian Faulk's novel about lovers torn apart by World War I. Eddie Redmayne (The Pillars of the Earth) plays Stephen Wrayford, whose pre-war affair with Isabelle Azaire (Clemence Poesy, Harry Potter films) has an enduring effect on him as he fights in the trenches.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

April 1 & 8, 2012
      Great Expectations
      Widely considered one of the greatest novels by Charles Dickens, Great Expectations tells the story of Pip the battered orphan boy, who rises from blacksmith's apprentice to gentleman under the patronage of a mysterious benefactor, who assures him of "great expectations." Starring Gillian Anderson, David Suchet and Ray Winstone.

February 26, 2012
One 90-minute episode
     The Old Curiosity Shop
     A teenage girl and her grandfather lose everything to a maniacal moneylender and flee his relentless pursuit. Derek Jacobi (I, Claudius) stars as Grandfather, with Sophie Vavasseur (Northanger Abbey) as Nell and Toby Jones (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) as Quilp.

January 8 to February 19, 2012
      Downton Abbey Season 2
      Downton Abbey season 2 resumes the story of aristocrats and servants in the tumultuous World War I era. The international hit is written by Julian Fellowes and stars Maggie Smith, Elizabeth McGovern, and Hugh Bonneville, plus a drawing room full of new actors, portraying the loves, feuds, and sacrifices of a glittering culture thrown into crisis. Watch all episodes online through March 6 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

The Primetime Emmy Award® winning Downton Abbey season one returns December 18 & 25, 2011 and January 1, 2012. (Check local listings.)

Jeanne there is the book - it was written back I think before WWII - my copy has to be at least 40 years old and is a hardback where as this is a paperback of the book available from Amazon

http://tinyurl.com/6lmcdyn

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

rosemarykaye

« Reply #401 on: March 06, 2012, 03:09:17 AM »
Jeanne, i had a look on Amazon and there is a series 4 and 5 available here.  I have to say I have never seen any of it, something I really must get on DVD as it was massively popular here - it was just on at a time when I didn't have time to sit down and watch it.

I don't know Derbyshire very well, but when my ex-SIL had her 50th birthday, she invited all of her female friends to spend a weekend at Ilam Hall, a Youth Hostel near Ashbourne.  It's an amazing place - this is a picture of it:

http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodation/peak-district-sherwood/hostels/Ilam/index.aspx

We had a wonderful time and lots of beautiful walks.

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #402 on: March 06, 2012, 09:06:40 AM »
Valerie and I loved "Lark Rise to Candleford".  Valerie has said she missed the people
in that series, and wishes it could continue.

Oh, my, ROSEMARY. That huge place is a hostel? It's magnificent! Was it comfortable?
I would love to visit there, but it looks a bit chilly. I do so miss being able to
travel.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

MaryPage

« Reply #403 on: March 06, 2012, 10:32:17 AM »
I own all 4 years, seasons, series of Lark Rise to Candleford.  I just love, love, love it.  Did you notice that Bates of Downton Abbey is the man who lives in Lark Rise and is married to I forget-her-name and I am at work without time to look it up, but the blond with all the children and their daughter works for the postmistress in Candleford.

And the blond with all the children, a remarkable actress, was the maid to Judi Dench in Cranford.  I own all of Cranford, as well.

Dawn French of Vicar of Dibley is also in Lark Rise to Candleford.  She is not in every season because she had other committments.  So they put her in jail (gaol) in the scripts!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #404 on: March 06, 2012, 01:12:37 PM »
Babi - it was very comfortable, and not at all cold - the Youth Hostel Association hostels are always really well heated, often better than some small hotels.  In my mother's time, you were not allowed to arrive at a YHA hostel in a car (had to be bike or walking), you brought your own food, and there was strictly no alcohol on the premises.  All of these rules have long gone, and at Ilam there is a nice self-service restaurant and a cosy bar.  it doesn't seem to have led to any difficulties - it's all very low key, with lots of families with children staying there - we all had a drink in the bar and there was certainly no-one over-indulging - but I think people who use the YHA are generally outdoorsy, well-behaved sorts.  I think the larger hostels in particular have had to adapt - people are prepared to rough it in the tiny, remote, quaint ones (there is a wonderful one called Tanner's Hatch that was really just a cottage, when I went there maybe 25 years ago it had no electricity and you got an oil lamp to go to bed by.  It is set in woodland - I loved it):

http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodation/south-east-england/hostels/tanners-hatch/index.aspx

- but in the larger hostels they want a little more comfort.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #405 on: March 06, 2012, 01:25:03 PM »
Rosemarykaye.

I ran a check on both those sites you posted above.  Put the dates in which I thought I would like to do some checking in Derbyshire.  I put in for a Single. (usually travel that way).  I was a member of YHA for years but at the moment I 'm not.    Looks like the are not set up for singles.  Ilam Hall looks really interesting.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #406 on: March 06, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »
I checked my library and they have all 5 seasons of Lark Rise to Candleford.  I watched season 3 already and so looks like I will be watching 2 and 4 next weekend.  Little out of order but don't think it makes much difference in this Series.
Check your library.  they most probably have them.  I try not to buy books anymore.  I will own Downton Abbey.  Have number 1 and soon will buy No 2 or wait until 3 comes out and then buy the set.  May also buy Lark Rise to Candleford  I think they have the full set in one box.

MaryPage

« Reply #407 on: March 06, 2012, 06:49:52 PM »
I thought there had been only 4 seasons of Lark Rise.  Where can I get the 5th season?  It was my understanding that Season 4 was the end of the series.  I think it was because, despite its huge popularity, the major stars were all signed up for other series.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #408 on: March 07, 2012, 03:28:10 AM »
MaryPage, i think you are right - I checked again and I must have mis-read it.  Really sorry to raise anyone's hopes!

Jeanne - when we stayed at Ilam it was in a large shared room (but we were a large party).  I know that some YHA hostels do now do single rooms, but I don't know which - maybe more the city centre ones, as they often used to be hotels and were bought up by YHA when they closed.  I remember staying in the one in central Newcastle and having my own little room.

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #409 on: March 07, 2012, 08:20:36 AM »
Ah, what a clever way to explain the long disappearances of the irresponible mother.
And it added so much to the story of the eldest son.

Sounds perfect, ROSEMARY. The cottage in the woodland I would have loved, too...25
years ago.  :)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #410 on: March 07, 2012, 07:51:04 PM »
Mary.
I think that you are correct.  Only 4 seasons.  I just picked it up at the library today.  They said that they had the 2011 copy of Upstairs Downstairs if I wanted to take it.

Will decide which one to watch tonight..

Rosemarykaye.   I know that quite a few of the YHA around the world do have singles.  I did have the book showing.  I need to join again and ask for the new book.  New York and Chicago have some nice ones.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #411 on: March 08, 2012, 12:12:56 AM »
seems to me I read that the version shown in Britain was many hours longer and maybe even a 5th season. Again, the PBS purchases a shorter version.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #412 on: March 08, 2012, 04:39:57 PM »
Each series of most Masterpiece DVD seem to run for 3 hours  .Now Candleford I watched  4th season for 3 hours and it comes with 2 DVD and so still have another 3 hours to watch. And so with all 4 seasons that would be 24 hours of watching.  I think that this 4 season could be it because things seem to be coming to cl-osie. Will see after tonight.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #413 on: March 08, 2012, 04:47:46 PM »
At the library yesterday I picked up a large book telling all the series that are out on DVD which now seem to be all that has been Televised.  Great book as it gives the names of all the stars in the shows. Tells their lives.  Also which have passed away.  Looks like its back 25 years.
Lots we have not shown on our PBS station here.  I have made a list of the ones I have seen and then the one I still want to see.   Looks like I have 27 of them still to go.  Will now  check and make a list for library and see which they have, are can get.  The size of both libraries should have most of them.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #414 on: March 08, 2012, 04:50:27 PM »
Jeanne, i love lists!  What are the series that you are hoping to get?

Rosemary

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #415 on: March 08, 2012, 08:13:37 PM »
I just popped in here wondering if anyone is watching "The Drama of Downton Abbey"??Its on PBS tonight at 8pm in my hometown of Gahanna, Ohio, and will be on 'til 10pm.  That's two hours of seeing how it was done.  And its really quite interesting. Hope someone else is enjoying as am I!
A brief note:  I just read a few posts from page 11 and will come back tomorrow to hear about some shows that I am not acquainted with.  And I will be taking the titles and seeing  if our library is carrying any of them.

Jeanne
What's the title of your library's book?  Will it be in mine?
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #416 on: March 08, 2012, 08:32:05 PM »
JeanneP, that book sounds like a great resource. Like Rosemary, I'm interested in finding out which series you want to view.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #417 on: March 08, 2012, 08:43:19 PM »
 The Book is a large size sort of Tabletop book.  Called "Masterpiece Theatre" A Celebration of 25 years of Outstanding Televisiion.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #418 on: March 08, 2012, 08:46:45 PM »

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #419 on: March 08, 2012, 11:12:49 PM »
I just ordered a used copy for 1cent plus shipping from my home state of Indiana.  Hope it has all the pages.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #420 on: March 09, 2012, 02:18:36 AM »
What a good buy, Annie!!

salan

« Reply #421 on: March 09, 2012, 05:49:51 AM »
Thanks Annie.  I just ordered a used copy (like new) for .30 plus 3.99 shipping from Amazon.  I plan to give it to my sil for her birthday.  She is very hard to buy for and she loves Masterpiece theater; so I think it may be the perfect gift.
Sally

rosemarykaye

« Reply #422 on: March 09, 2012, 06:31:28 AM »
Hooray!  I have even found it on Amazon UK for £0.01 + postage, and the seller is the PDSA (People's Dispensary for Sick Animals) so I can feel quite virtuous about parting with all of £3  :)

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #423 on: March 09, 2012, 08:53:47 AM »
Oooh, thank you for finding that table of contents, MARCIE. I've jotted down a few titles
and am hoping to find them on either Netflix or in my library. One I've never heard of,
..Poldark?  Does anyone know what that is about?

MaryPage

« Reply #424 on: March 09, 2012, 09:10:04 AM »
Poldark, written by another favorite Englishman Winston Graham, is a series of rather swashbuckling novels set in Cornwall.  I think 18th century.  I loved all of Graham's books and was thrilled with the Poldark television series, albeit of course it was not portrayed quite the way I had it in my head and the series did not follow the books as perfectly as I would have liked.

But you will enjoy Poldark very much.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #425 on: March 09, 2012, 09:38:12 AM »
Oooh yes, I remember Poldark - Angharad Rees was Demelza.  I've no doubt she's been in lots of things since then, but I think she'll always be Demelza to most people over here.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #426 on: March 09, 2012, 07:38:38 PM »
Gosh! I can't believe that book bought for so cheap.  Wonder if the right one.  Now the one I have has one the front. up in the right hand corner , the cast of Upstairs/downstairs.  Do these books have that?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #427 on: March 09, 2012, 10:14:50 PM »
FYI

I just checked the PBS website and two full episodes of Oliver Twist are available, only until 3/12/12. It looks like the episodes are about 1 1/2  hours each. When I checked the original site, it says it's a 6 hour adaptation so I'm not sure what's going on.

The videos are at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html
The PBS Oliver Twist site is at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/olivertwist/index.html

Babi

« Reply #428 on: March 10, 2012, 08:44:27 AM »
Netflix does have it, MARYPAGE & ROSEMARY.  I'll be adding Poldark to my queue. Thanks
for the thumbs up.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #429 on: March 10, 2012, 10:10:25 AM »
PBS MASTERPIECE CLASSIC - GREAT EXPECTATIONS BOOK GIVEAWAY
Continuing the focus on the anniversary of Charles Dickens' 200th birthday, Masterpiece Classics on PBS will premier a new adaptation of Great Expectations on Sunday, April 1. The program has been nominated in Great Britain for "best drama series" by the Broadcasting Press Guild (BPG) TV Awards.

Our friends at the PBS Educational offices in Boston have generously offered our SeniorLearn readers a limited number of the 150th Anniversary/Penguin Classics Deluxe edition of Great Expectations free, just for the cost of postage. Interested?  If you'd like to own one of these book copies, simply post your interest in SeniorLearn's PBS Discussion by March 16.  If the number of requests is greater than the number of books provided by Masterpiece Classics, we will hold a random drawing of names from the relevant posts in the discussion. We will follow up later for your address. Open to U.S. residents only.

Talk about any PBS programs, or indicate your interest in receiving a copy of the 150th Anniversary/Penguin Classics Deluxe book, Great Expectations, at http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=2716.400

JoanR

« Reply #430 on: March 10, 2012, 10:30:03 AM »
What a generous offer!  I would love to have one of the books - put me on the list, please!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #431 on: March 10, 2012, 10:36:44 AM »
I,too, am interested in receiving a copy of the 150th Anniversary/Penguin Classics Deluxe book, Great Expectations.  What a treat, JoanP.  Put me on the list!

Frybabe

« Reply #432 on: March 10, 2012, 11:33:59 AM »
Of course I'd love a copy ot the 150th Anniversary/Penguin Classics Deluxe edition of Great Expectations. Do you still have my address JoanP?

JudeS

« Reply #433 on: March 10, 2012, 12:28:38 PM »
Please add me to the list. What a Great  giveaway. Do you have my address?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #434 on: March 10, 2012, 02:36:23 PM »
Yes, but ONLY if there are enough copies - if not take me off the list - thanks

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #435 on: March 10, 2012, 03:26:49 PM »
Marcie.  On the Masterpiece DVD.  on each one there are  usually 3 hours.  Go one hour then. comes up again for 2 more 1 hour run.  Will be 2 DVD in each case.  so you will be getting 6 hours.  At least all I have gotten were that way.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #436 on: March 10, 2012, 06:10:59 PM »
JeanneP, thanks for the info about the Masterpiece DVDs. The episodes of Oliver Twist are on their website at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html. Those are the two that seem like they are 1 1/2 hours each, but the website dedicated to the Oliver Twist program, says that it's a 6 hour series.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #437 on: March 10, 2012, 06:49:22 PM »
Now I did get one BBC the other day that was for 6 hours.  Had 4 disc in it.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #438 on: March 10, 2012, 06:51:15 PM »
With all the DVD that I have been getting this past two weeks on Masterpiece and BBC. I have not gotten much housework done.  But really enjoying myself.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #439 on: March 10, 2012, 06:58:44 PM »
JoanP, I would love an anniversary edition of Great Expectations, but only if there are enough to go around.  If there are not, don't put my name in for the drawing.