Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece 2014 Cont. - Downton Abbey & Other PBS programs  (Read 109703 times)

Steph

Re: PBS Masterpiece 2014 - Downton Abbey; Sherlock; Selfridge
« Reply #240 on: April 13, 2014, 10:05:34 AM »
 ;D

See the 2014 MASTERPIECE schedule.  

Now Discussing
Watch Season 2 of SELFRIDGE March 30 through May 18.

COMING
This summer (June 15 - September 7) look forward to new and continuing series: THE ESCAPE ARTIST (June 15-22): David Tennant (Doctor Who) and Sophie Okonedo (Hotel Rwanda) star in a gripping legal thriller; ENDEAVOUR, Season 2 (June 29 to July 20): Shaun Evans returns for a second season with four all-new mysteries as young Endeavour Morse, before his signature red Jaguar...but with his deductive powers already running in high gear; HERCULE POIROT, Season 12 (July 27 to August 3): David Suchet returns as the suave Belgian super-sleuth in two new mysteries; BREATHLESS (August 24 to September 7): In this stylish and compelling new medical drama set in London in 1961, Jack Davenport (Smash, Pirates of the Caribbean) stars as a brilliant surgeon who believes he can make a difference in women’s lives.

ALREADY DISCUSSED
Watch Season 4 of Downton Abbey during January and February 2014.

Sherlock, Season 3, returned, starting January 19, following the 9pm broadcast of Downton Abbey. Benedict Cumberbatch (The Fifth Estate, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit, The Office UK) returned as Sherlock Holmes and John Watson in three new 90-minute episodes of the contemporary reinvention of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle classic, created by Steven Moffat (Doctor Who) and Mark Gatiss. Watch episodes on TV or online after they air.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

MaryPage, we have some sort of secret connection.. My Mother was adopted, so possibly through North Carolina, there is an invisible bond.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Steph

« Reply #241 on: April 14, 2014, 10:10:18 AM »
Loved the girl who played the pregnant inmate..Beautiful creature.

MaryPage

« Reply #242 on: April 15, 2014, 03:28:02 PM »
Yes, I thought so as well.

My mother was not adopted, but she wound up as a foster child.  She was the oldest of 3 little girls when her mother, a grandmother I never knew, died when she was 10.  Their dad was unable to take care of them, so they were placed with families in the same town.  Not the town, nor even the state, they lived in, but the same town in a nearby state.  The two younger girls went to the same family, just a block from where my mother went.  The younger one was adopted by that family and took their name.  That always pained the older of those two.  My mother stayed with her family as an only child, but was never adopted.  She went to the Army School of Nursing at Walter Reed Hospital, and thus got her education for free.

Steph

« Reply #243 on: April 17, 2014, 09:27:34 AM »
Foster children.. the farm next to where my parents lived took in fosters. a boy and girl until they graduated from high school.. They would keep them even if they aged out to let them graduate.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #244 on: April 28, 2014, 02:05:30 AM »
After tonight this is what I think - Henri will turn out to have been helping Jewish families get out of Germany and he may even be Jewish - it looks like Agnus still loves Henri - I wonder if she and Victor will last and what of her brother, will he stay alive - hope Harry doesn't loose Rose again but Delphine Day has a plan that includes hurting Rose - and it appears young Mr. Selfridge, Gordon  has a crush on a salesgirl I think she is Miss Bunting but I get them confused - and dear Miss Mardle I think she is leaving herself open for another heart ache - her young Belgium will turn out to either be married or have a girl back home. Cannot figure out what happens to Loxley but they sure created a smarmy villain that we can easily curl our lip up at him when he appears.  
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #245 on: April 28, 2014, 09:07:54 AM »
Oh I did love last nights Call the Midwife. It looked as if the young adults with various limitations were quite reall and it was so impressive. Did even doctors think that it was hereditary?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #246 on: April 28, 2014, 11:04:55 AM »
Barbara, we've all been wondering what Henri was doing in Germany. That's an interesting guess.

Yes, Loxley is a smarmy villain. Good adjective! It's he who pushes Selfridge to accept the "intelligence" job in Germany by telling Selfridge that he has lined his own pockets with the store and not done anything for England.  What's up with Delphine? What happened between her and Rose?

Steph, I thought that CALL THE MIDWIFE was very good too. It seemed that the doctor had never seen a case of a pregnant woman with Downs Syndrome. He didn't know if she could give birth normally and did venture that the condition was hereditary. Since marriage seemed out of the question in those days and pregnancy out of "wedlock" was a terrible stigma for anyone, with or without a disability, it seems that most doctors would not have had experience or knowledge in this area.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #247 on: April 28, 2014, 11:17:46 AM »
 I thought Midwives was very well done and so different from the previous shows,  and then our PBS station ran a very interesting presentation about the history of Sr Angelena.  

I am really impressed with the historical fiction we are watching on PBS recently with   The Midwives, of the '50s' , Selffrige of the WWI era, and Bletchley Circle offering us women who served in WWII as code breakers and, of last night, are looking into the trafficking of young girls from Balken countries whose parents paid to have them placed in nonexistent jobs. This is happening right after the war ends.  So, we are learning about the thriving Black Markets
in many European countries happening because of shortages of desired luxuries that are not available. three shows that are historical fiction on Sunday nights.  I am truly loving it!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

CallieOK

« Reply #248 on: April 28, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »
I'm also loving the Sunday night shows on PBS!

"Call The Midwife" was especially good last night - not only with the Downs Syndrome characters but also with the young man who has....muscular dystrophy?  cerebral palsy?  Both he and the young woman who played his girlfriend were very good actors.
I sometimes have to remind myself that the show is set in a time when little was known about a lot of medical conditions we now think of quite differently.

Years ago, a local woman, whose child had Downs Syndrome, started The Meadows Center for Opportunity to train/hire challenged people for jobs and assist them in living independently.
One of the Center's businesses shreds papers and other data "trash" for both businesses and individuals.  Another one hires workers to sort/count/package small items that are sold in quantity.
 It's not uncommon to see someone with Downs Syndrome as a restaurant greeter or a grocery store stocker.

I recorded "Mr. Selfridge" and only saw the "teaser" for last night's episode.  Hadn't thought about Henri being part of the French underground - quite possible!   I suspect that, if someone else doesn't "take care" of Lord Loxley, Lady Loxley will!!!!

jeriron

« Reply #249 on: April 28, 2014, 12:45:24 PM »
This is a good web site that has lots of links showing where and when shows will be showing in the US?

Thebritishtvplace.com

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #250 on: April 28, 2014, 12:52:07 PM »
Call the Midwife was a little different last night and very good. Some scenes had to have been taken in a home of people with disabilities such as Downs . And CP. I had both experiences in the UK with both. This was in the 1930s to 1950s there were those homes back then.  We have 2very good ones here in my town in Illinois. One for ages to 15 and the other for life time. Have the daughter of a friend still there at age 59. Parents now past. They do say that many more children being born with Downs. They can now test for it in early stages of
Preg. And abort. A family decides.it seems that it can be passed as on TV it was showing 3children in one family. So much Med. Science does not know.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #251 on: April 28, 2014, 05:51:29 PM »
Callie and JeanneP,  Did you notice when one of Sr Angelina's friends, a young mother, was talking to her, that she held a baby with Down's?  So glad someone identified what was wrong with Jacob, the father of ?????? baby.  Did everyone get that little short presentation about Sr Angelina who wrote the original book about the midwives?  That she had served in WWI and WWII?  She was celebrating her jubilee anniversary of taking her vows, so that would be her 50th??  Is that right?

Callie,
Yes, I think Lord Loxley has caught on to Lady Loxley's  inviting the singer to the celebration.  And, I hope she does him in!  I thought she was the one with the money when they married but after last nights entertainment,  I think he had the money.  What a !!!!!! he is!

We are getting Bletchley Circle after Selfridge; is anyone else?  I guess I can look into that link that Jeriron left here for us.

"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: April 28, 2014, 06:06:43 PM »
Thanks for that link, Jeriron. There is some not so good news (for me) at that site.

It says, "The Bletchley Circle,which, despite garnering nearly 5 million weekly viewers in the UK, was axed by ITV. Fans of the mystery drama about former World War II code-breakers are not happy about the cancellation, and have taken to social media to get the show back for a third series. Whether the effort results in Amazon or another company bringing the show back for a third series, as happened with Ripper Street, remains to be seen."

I hope some company picks up this show. I think it's been great.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #253 on: April 28, 2014, 06:32:12 PM »
Ripper Street was one of our new programs here in the US that we really liked.  But when it came back, the shows seemed to be much more violent than they had been so we quit watching it.

The Bletchley Circle shown last night seemed to have changed 'key' from the earlier ones.  I do like the show but its almost as though it has a different writer.  A different something.  Its probably me, not them. 

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #254 on: April 28, 2014, 07:07:03 PM »
Now I could be wrong but I thought the Jubilee celebration tied into one we always had for the Royals. Seems like we had one for Queen Elizabeth as she would have then been on the Throne as wasn't it 1952 last night. I am not sure.
I have some tin biscuit boxes and teapot that says Queen Jubilee with certain dates on.Most going back to King George and Mary.  Seemed like they held a Jubilee every 5 or ten years. Don't think it was for the Nun.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Full coverage of Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee celebrations marking 60 years of her reign; latest news, pictures and video from royal events in 2012, the ...

Now Elizabeth was crowned in 1952.

MaryPage

« Reply #255 on: April 29, 2014, 08:09:55 AM »
I thank my lucky stars for PBS every Sunday night.  Lots of good stuff during the week, as well, such as Phryne Fisher and DCI Banks and George Gently.  Barbara, I hope, hope, hope you are right about Henri.  I, too, am convinced he is a good man.  But I hope the money was going towards something like saving Jews.  However, this WAS World War One, and it was the Nazis in World War Two who murdered anyone with Jewish bloodlines.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #256 on: April 29, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »
OH yes, I forgot - well what ever it is I do not think he is supporting Germany and I do not think he is in the black market - the rush to turn in anyone who has an interest in Germany reminds me of the early days of WWII and I guess we still do it since after 9-11 every Muslim in this country especially with middle eastern heritage was thought to be a terrorist.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #257 on: April 30, 2014, 09:38:50 AM »
I am glad that others enjoy Call the Midwife with the Downs. I have a cousin whose daughter taught Home Ec to Downs and managed to convince a county that they could run the cafeteria at the county building. They did all sorts of jobs for years and then some stupid politician decided that they should put the cafeteria up for bids and some company who does not hire any of them is doing it.Very sad and stupid.

mrssherlock

« Reply #258 on: April 30, 2014, 02:29:20 PM »
Midwife's treatment of Downs, etc, was outstanding!  Instead of magnifying the differences between Downs and non-Downs, we saw slices of their lives which could resonate with most viewers.  It was easy to feel their joy at the dance, their delight at choosing lovely clothes, and the intensity of their attachment to one another.   This may have been mentioned before: has anyone read  the  book?
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Frybabe

« Reply #259 on: April 30, 2014, 03:37:40 PM »
For those who don't get the email, here is the summer Masterpiece Mystery program:
http://www.kcpt.org/announcements/masterpiece-2014-summer-schedule/

I can't find it posted on the PBS site, but got an email with this listing. After trashing the post, I really had to hunt for the schedule. Found it on KCPT.

CallieOK

« Reply #260 on: April 30, 2014, 03:39:58 PM »
What is the title of the book?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #261 on: April 30, 2014, 09:52:26 PM »
Thanks for the schedule, Frybabe. Here's the same one on the main site:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/features/news/masterpiece-2014-summer-schedule/

Call the Midwife book info from wikipedia:

Call the Midwife, later called Call the Midwife: A True Story of the East End in the 1950s, is a memoir by Jennifer Worth, and the first in a trilogy of books describing her work as a district nurse and midwife in the East End of London during the 1950s. Worth wrote the book after retiring from a subsequent career as a musician, and it was originally published in 2002.[1] Reissued in 2007, it became a bestseller, as did the sequel Shadows of the Workhouse (2005, reissued 2008) and the final volume Farewell to the East End (2009). By the time of Jennifer Worth’s death in June 2011, her books had already sold almost a million copies.[2] In 2012, the popular BBC adaption of the trilogy boosted sales further, and all four of the author's books about the East End (the "Midwife trilogy" and In the Midst of Life (2010) went back into the charts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_the_Midwife_%28book%29

Good to see you, mrssherlock!

Steph

« Reply #262 on: May 01, 2014, 07:30:43 AM »
Mrs. Sherlock, long time, no post... I am now going to look for the trilogy for Call the Midwife, since I love the series.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #263 on: May 02, 2014, 10:11:45 AM »
Sherlock, long time away for you.  Welcome back!

Steph

« Reply #264 on: May 03, 2014, 08:33:38 AM »
Whew... none of the used book sites have any of the three books.. It has been reissued in many forms, but I find no one that has a reasonable price.. Sigh.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #265 on: May 03, 2014, 09:53:33 AM »
No library copies either, Steph?

rosemarykaye

« Reply #266 on: May 03, 2014, 01:27:40 PM »
Gosh Steph, such a shame that you don't live here - I've just been into The Works (a discount book shop) and seen those books in the '3 for £5' section!  Maybe you can pick them up when you are on your trip?

Rosemary

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #267 on: May 03, 2014, 03:56:34 PM »
I can get the first book as an eBook from my library, but of course, I can't keep it like you can if you are getting it from somewhere on the net. And they have all three books. 
The books themselves are pretty popular right now but they own quite a few copies of each one.
If Rosemary can get them in Scotland for such a reasonable price, maybe you should inquire on the Amazon site for GB.  They might have outside sellers of used books at better prices and you could order and have them shipped to your hotel.  I did that for something that I needed at the Leo House in NYC when I arrived.  I ordered it from the Manhattan Home Depot and there it was, at the front desk.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #268 on: May 03, 2014, 04:20:08 PM »
None of the  "call the Midwife" books are in LP here. Also they are in Soft back. I got them but sent them back to the Library. Just waiting now to see if they are out anywhere in LP. If not then I will read the small print.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #269 on: May 03, 2014, 05:27:05 PM »
Here's the Amazon UK site:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_5?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=call+the+midwife&sprefix=Call+%2Cstripbooks%2C446

They have just about any copy you might want and if they have used, even better.

But, the exchange rate is not good and these cost us just as much in England as they do at home.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #270 on: May 04, 2014, 04:11:28 AM »
I've just looked at The Works online site - they do not appear to have the '3 for £5' offer, but they do have the first two books for £1.99 each, plus (I think) a further 30% off this weekend if you put their code in:

http://www.theworks.co.uk/search/midwife

Would you be able to order them from this site and get them delivered to your hotel? Or does the exchange rate (about which I know nothing) make them much more expensive for you?

Hope it helps,

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #271 on: May 04, 2014, 10:15:33 AM »
I will hit a few used book stores in London. Somewhere I have a list of good ones.. Paperback would be easier since I have to worry about weight.

MaryPage

« Reply #272 on: May 04, 2014, 03:35:07 PM »
When I was in Scotland and England I hit every used book store along my way, and they were simply wonderful about mailing the books I bought back to my home in the States.  Addicted to books as I am, I had a ball doing this.  Every single book, and there were at least 40, all told, arrived safely as promised.  The booksellers in the UK are great human beings!

Steph

« Reply #273 on: May 05, 2014, 09:30:14 AM »
Thanks for the advice.. I prefer mailing if they will.

Frybabe

« Reply #274 on: May 09, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
Oh joy, kinda. The new fall schedule is out, but it does not include a Wallander. I do so much want to see what they did with The White Lioness. However, new Miss Marple, new Lewis, and Bill Nighy is back with a spy series.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/features/news/masterpiece-announces-fall-2014-schedule/?elq=01fcd499949e4055b7cfa4d45d140841&elqCampaignId=913

Overall, I am very pleased with the choices for this summer and fall.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #275 on: May 09, 2014, 11:04:16 AM »
I'm also very pleased with the summer and fall schedules on Masterpiece.  For some reason I just haven't enjoyed either Selfridges or the new Sherlock.

Frybabe

« Reply #276 on: May 09, 2014, 12:28:37 PM »
I agree, Jean. I haven't watched any of the Selfridge, skipped the last season of Downton Abbey, and while the new Sherlock was okay, I can't say that I really enjoyed it near as much as before. The only one of the listings for this summer and fall that is ifsy for me is Death at Pemberton. I am not a big fan of fan fiction, which I guess is what you might characterize that one as.

Steph

« Reply #277 on: May 12, 2014, 09:02:33 AM »
Oh Call the Midwife was outstanding. I had forgotten  that in the 50's shock therapy was popular and even worked to some extent. So I was riveted to the story.. I still don't quite understand the sub plot of a nurse or a midwife.. What was Jenny trying to do? work in hospitals??

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #278 on: May 12, 2014, 11:05:54 AM »
I must have missed an episode of Midwives. I didn't know why Jenny had been away grieving. I'll look to see if I can find what I missed. It seems that at the beginning of this episode she wanted to go back to work but not in the familiar setting that had too many memories for her. So she did go to work in a London hospital. Too much "efficiency" there for her at the expense of personal contact with the patients.

The shock therapy scenes were done "tastefully," I think, but still scary.

It seems that the treatment still exists. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroconvulsive_therapy
"ECT is considered one of the least harmful treatment options available for severely depressed pregnant women"

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #279 on: May 12, 2014, 11:07:05 AM »
I thought Selfridge was good last evening with a good explanation for Henri's behaviour.