Author Topic: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~  (Read 271841 times)

Cathy B

Re: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~
« Reply #720 on: January 02, 2012, 11:25:39 AM »

And the selection for February is...

~ Charles Dickens' Bleak House  

We hope you will join us Here for the discussion.    

Frybabe

« Reply #721 on: January 02, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »
Hi Cathy,

I've never heard of American Notes for General Circulation. I've have to look it up. Thanks for the info.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #722 on: January 02, 2012, 11:57:14 AM »
The work is sometimes entitled just "American Notes." It's available for reading online in several places, including http://etext.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/DicAmer.html

Frybabe

« Reply #723 on: January 02, 2012, 01:19:01 PM »
What an excruciatingly difficult choice. Still thinking.

JudeS

« Reply #724 on: January 02, 2012, 05:22:10 PM »
Hmmm.....
We are now reading Ship of Fools which is a "downer book".(At least so far)
I don't like the sound of BLEAK HOUSE after that.
I have read Tale of Two Citiies in High School and Great Expectations as a teen ager also.
So my vote goes to Pickwick Papers . If Dickens felt the proudest of this book above all others it must be a good read. Hope it wins.

Frybabe

« Reply #725 on: January 02, 2012, 06:26:28 PM »
Jude, I also decided Bleak House was going to be, well, too bleak. Pickwick Papers is supposed to have more humor in it than Dickens' usual fare. I read snippets of all four, thought Great Expectations was very readable and almost chose it. I noticed, however, that many of the reader comments on Amazon stated that they were forced to read it in school and that it was boring. One commenter was a teacher who was convinced that the only reason it was required reading is that it is short enough to cover in class time alloted.

I look forward to seeing the PBS presentation of Great Expectations . I just looked at the trailer on You Tube. It looks like they modernized the setting. Many of the reviewers who saw one of the earlier movies liked watching the movie better than reading the book.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #726 on: January 02, 2012, 08:01:35 PM »
There's been heavy voting in the last 24 hours.  Shouldn't say much about what's going on - except maybe, we've got a dead heat right now!

I'm hoping that no matter which title is chosen you will all join the discussion in February.  I'm looking forward to the new production of Great Expectations too, Frybabe.  Not sure I like any of the productions more than I enjoy Dickens' writing though...

Frybabe

« Reply #727 on: January 02, 2012, 08:28:09 PM »
What I'd like to know is is Great Expectations really boring, or are were the reviewers grousing because they were forced to read it for school, perhaps before they could fully appreciate it? The little bit I read to make my final decision did not strike me as boring.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #728 on: January 03, 2012, 01:18:31 AM »
I read Great Expectations in 8th grade and wasn't mature enough to appreciate it. I'd like to read the story now.

JoanR

« Reply #729 on: January 03, 2012, 08:10:08 AM »
Can't begin to imagine how anyone could find "Great Expectations" boring!!!!!  So much happens!!! Hope it wins the vote!

Babi

« Reply #730 on: January 03, 2012, 09:06:57 AM »
The Pickwick Papers is a delight, JUDE. Just climb into the carriage and enjoy the ride.
   Personally, I don't usually like it when a classic is 'modernized'. Part of my enjoyment is in the old settings, mores and manners.  I hope I won't sound snide if I remark that I suspect many people prefer a movie to a book because the movie is quicker, easier, and doesn't require as
much thought.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

nlhome

« Reply #731 on: January 03, 2012, 07:23:38 PM »
I have not read Pickwick Papers. Might be a good choice.

I did read Great Expectations in high school, and I never understood why. So perhaps it would be good to reread.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #732 on: January 04, 2012, 01:05:04 PM »
If the PBS Great Expectations is the one we have just seen here - with Gillian Anderson as Miss Havisham - it was not modernised at all.  Of course they did reinterpret some scenes, but I suppose there wouldn't have been much point in re-doing it if they just reproduced the David Lean film.  As I've said elsewhere, I loved it and thought Anderson was outstanding.  Some of the reviewers here slated it, but they are a fickle lot!  All I can say is, we enjoyed it!

Rosemary

Frybabe

« Reply #733 on: January 04, 2012, 02:03:46 PM »
Oh good, Rosemarykaye, I must take another look at the trailer. What part does David Suchet play, do you remember?

rosemarykaye

« Reply #734 on: January 04, 2012, 02:51:54 PM »
He plays Jaggers and is just perfect.

Babi

« Reply #735 on: January 05, 2012, 08:01:37 AM »
 I'm really looking forward to it.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #736 on: January 05, 2012, 01:34:31 PM »
for some reason the story of Great Expectations always gave me the willies - for anyone to feel dependent on someone else and their whims for money - rrrr - and those two woman - or to be more precise - girl and old woman - sure had his nose by the string - no story left but I would have preferred if he just had the courage to shuck himself of the financial help even if it meant he had to go off to sea or something.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Babi

« Reply #737 on: January 06, 2012, 08:25:41 AM »
 Maybe, but I can sympathze with the boys hopes even while I want to smack
the women.  There isn't much hope for a good life running off to sea.  Unless
you have the education and family support to become an officer, it's just one
more way to spend a harsh life and die damaged and poor.  Or turn to a life
of crime; that can be profitable if you're clever and careful.  All of which, I think, is part of what Dickens is pointing out.  The poor boy who wants to make his way to a better life will need the backing and support of someone
with funds.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #738 on: January 06, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »
I guess that is it Babi - the old saying of sell your soul to the company store comes to mind - and to me with his background it was easy to convince him to sell his soul therefore, to me that was an easy manipulation and coercion that he fell for hook line and sinker.

I guess to me there are worse things than being poor - being manhandled is one of them and he sure had his share - can you escape being manhandled if you are poor - I do not know - can you escape being coerced into what appears to be milk and honey that ends up eating you alive - you have to have a pretty strong value system to rise above that kind of coercion and that is what gives me the willies - here she was the adult coercing a brutalized child - rrrrr - a chill goes up my spine.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Babi

« Reply #739 on: January 07, 2012, 08:47:15 AM »
 Being poor surely doesn't always mean mistreatment, or low self-esteem, or
victimization.  It is definitely a disadvantage, but we all know many people
who have risen to great heights from poor beginnings.  Strong family support
and a sense of worth are so important.  Some strong personalities manage
to overcome even a bad family background, though I think it must have its
effect on their outlook on life.
  We still have adults who abuse and victimize children, and it makes me
angry, too.  And by no means are all of them poor.  At least we don't take
hungry and abused children for granted now, as they apparently did in Dickens' time.   

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #740 on: January 10, 2012, 10:56:02 AM »
As you probably suspected, the vote was too close to call -   We need to select the ONE the majority would be happy with. Are you ready? Flex your voting finger...

A RUN-OFF Vote for February Dickens' discussion
 And then there were TWO...

~ Step One - Read Information on each title in the list below - (the book title is a link.)

~ Step Two -
Vote HERE (click this link to vote)

(Titles below are links to more information)

BLEAK HOUSE
~ (often considered Dickens' masterpiece, his finest work, though not his most popular.)

GREAT EXPECTATIONS
~ (An absorbing mystery as well as a morality tale, this novel contains a strong autobiographical elements.)

JoanR

« Reply #741 on: January 20, 2012, 05:02:46 PM »
Which book won?  Luckily, I'll be happy with either one and already own copies of each!

salan

« Reply #742 on: January 20, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »
I downloaded both books (free) on my Kindle, so I am ready for either.
Sally

Tomereader1

« Reply #743 on: January 21, 2012, 09:57:45 PM »
I thought we were getting the results after the 18th.  Today's the 21st.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

hats

« Reply #744 on: January 22, 2012, 07:31:49 AM »
I hope GREAT EXPECTATIONS won. I really like Pip even though.....

Babi

« Reply #745 on: January 22, 2012, 09:25:01 AM »
 Sorry, HATS, but Bleak House won.  Hope you will still participate, tho'.  I
so much enjoy 'talking' with you on-line.

hats

« Reply #746 on: January 22, 2012, 10:37:24 AM »
I will try my very best. Maybe the book is on my Kindle. Hope you have a nice day, Babi.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #747 on: January 22, 2012, 11:47:13 AM »
The discussion for the February Book Club Online, Bleak House, is now open.  Please come join in.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #748 on: January 22, 2012, 11:05:47 PM »
I had hoped for GREAT EXPECTATIONS too, hats. But I'll join the Bleak House discussion to try to follow with the rest of you the dozens of characters in that book. It should be interesting.

Babi

« Reply #749 on: January 23, 2012, 08:57:18 AM »
 Now that I'm older (and wiser? ::)),  I expect I'll appreciate and enjoy Bleak
House much more than I did the first time around.

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #750 on: January 24, 2012, 06:41:43 PM »
OK - count me in!

Babi

« Reply #751 on: January 25, 2012, 08:37:41 AM »
 I have my copy of Bleak House from the library, one with the original 'Phiz'
illustrations, a list of characters, and even a chronology of Dickens' life.  I
don't really see how the latter could be much help in dicussing the book, but
the publishers included it anyway.
  Oh, yes, it also has a short preface in which Dickens briefly defends his depiction of the Court of Chancery.  He insists it was every bit that bad!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #752 on: January 25, 2012, 02:48:54 PM »
And I believe him.

Babi

« Reply #753 on: January 26, 2012, 08:37:05 AM »
 :)

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #754 on: March 19, 2012, 10:26:11 AM »
For those of you who love historical fiction, I would highly recommend  "Peony in Love" by Lisa See.  She is the author of "Snowflower and the Secret Fan" which was made into a movie. Both good books but Peony is quite different as the author uses fantasy to tell her story.

While doing research on another book, much to Lisa See's surprise, she finds that  in the 1600's, in China's Yangzi Delta, there were thousands of women authors who were published.
And not only that, but many were professional woman writers who not only wrote for large public audiences but also supported their families with their written words.  Although the women were mostly wealthy, having bound feet and living in seclusion.

The author wonders why she has never heard about them before now.  Why haven't we all been aware of these women?
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #755 on: March 19, 2012, 11:44:54 AM »
I never heard of these women either, Annie - sound like a winner.  Let's start a new nominating slate for the header...

Babi

« Reply #756 on: March 20, 2012, 08:53:47 AM »
  Valerie and I watched the film "Snowflower and the Secret Fan",  but we didn't
finish it.  It seemed overly long and became tedious.  I might have liked the book
better.  Has anyone had an opportunity to compare book and film?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #757 on: March 20, 2012, 11:32:56 AM »
JoanP,
And how do I do that?  Its been too long!

Babi
I really don't remember the movie that well but the book, I do and I really like it.  I can remember having a sort of check list for the movie and I think I thought that the producers covered all the pertinent facts from the book.  How's that for a non-answer? :D
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Babi

« Reply #758 on: March 21, 2012, 08:21:55 AM »
 Considering the topic, no bad at all, ANNIE.   :)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #759 on: March 21, 2012, 09:18:09 AM »
Annie, you did just fine by suggesting the book.  We'll get up a new nomination chart up in the heading as soon as we can.  One thing that will help - if you can find a good site describing or reviewing the book.  We'll link the book title to that review.  Thanks!