Author Topic: The Technophobe Reader - Technology Help  (Read 204256 times)

LarryHanna

Re: The Technophobe Reader - Technology Help
« Reply #640 on: September 25, 2012, 09:18:46 AM »

Welcome to The Technophobe Reader

Confused about Ihpones, Ipods, Ipads, Itouch, Androids, or anything else electronic? Don't know what a "text" message is? Don't have a Nook or a Kindle and don't know the benefits of an e reader?   Feel left out of the rush of the new technology and wonder  what all the shouting is about?

Have a new Iphone,  Ipod, Ipad, Nook, Kindle,  or I headache or are considering same?

Ask your question here! Other sufferers may be able to direct you to a source for help or help with their own experience.

This discussion has no "expert" moderator, we  offer here no professional advice but we may be able to answer out of our own experiences, so ask or comment  away!

Lorac, you will not be able to update to IOS 6 unless you have an iPad 2 or later and I don't remember what models of the iPhone can be updated.  I went in the first moments the update was available for my iPad and updated it.  Other than the SIRI feature I really haven't noticed much new.  Some of the new features are just for the iPhone.
LarryBIG BOX

Lorac625

• Visiting the replica Parthenon in Nashville,TN,USA
« Reply #641 on: September 25, 2012, 11:42:01 AM »
Thanks,hadn't looked at it yet.  Means I will have to get a new iPad or all the new apps will be for 6 and I won't have it.  That's the main reason I updated to 5!
Lorac 625

LarryHanna

« Reply #642 on: September 26, 2012, 10:23:39 AM »
Lorac, actually the applications should be backward compatible with the exception of the new features like SIRI. 
LarryBIG BOX

Lorac625

• Visiting the replica Parthenon in Nashville,TN,USA
« Reply #643 on: October 14, 2012, 07:17:05 PM »
Ok,but now I have a new question.  Is there an iPad1 keyboard that will allow me to put the appropriate accents in my Latin?  I'm just in 101, so we aren't really using them yet,but I recall it being useful to learn the accents with the vocab,rather than trying to add it in...(But if I can't sit on the couch and do it on my iPad,well,why bother?)
Lorac 625

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #644 on: October 14, 2012, 07:56:39 PM »
Lorac, do you mean in addition to doing it on the IPad keyboard which is on the IPad itself? If you hold down any of the vowel keys on the Ipad, a menu will come up with the various diacritical marks on it for your choice.
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #645 on: October 26, 2012, 01:38:40 PM »
I'm thinking about getting a kindle or something similar, basically to take with me when I go abroad so I can read my email mainly, and keep up with my Spanish on line class which has a new spoken program every week.
 How do these things connect to the internet?  Like the telephones do?  Can you get some kind of package for the US which you can upgrade to Europe when you're going there?

Apart from that, I might use it here in the US to down load netflicks movies. 
Is there such a thing as some kind of cloud library from which you can download books on loan?
I think $10 is too expensive to get some book I may not like.  I get all my books second hand from amazon, or from the library.

HaroldArnold

« Reply #646 on: October 26, 2012, 05:25:33 PM »
http://allthingsd.com/20121023/hardworking-tablet-with-pc-chops/

Click the above link for a technical review and a comparison of a new Microsoft Tablet computer in comparison to the current Apple I-Pad offering.  This is an interesting tablet offering running the new Windows 8 operating system.  Mossberg is the Wallstreet Journal‘s technology editor.  Over the past 2 years he has published reviews of the Apple I-Pad and most of the competing offerings that have been offered by other manufacturers.  These reviews have been generally available to the public through the allthingsdigital.com site.   

All have been highly supportive of the I-Pad and universally critical to the available alternates most of which ran a version of the Google Android operating software.  In the above review Mossberg has for the first time judged the new Microsoft Tablet that runs the new Windows 8 Operating System a worthy alternate.   Costwise these tablets seem pretty competitive.   One of the plusses of the Microsoft  offering are two covers that double as a physical key board, and the most serious negative attaching to the Microsoft tablet is the availability of only 20,000 aps in contrast to the ½ million I-Pad apps now available.

In any case there just might be more serious competition now appearing in the Computer Market.  Also the new Windows 8 operating software now on the market is the most intensive change since the release of Windows 95; that’s been 17 years.  Last Week I received a printing from Dell indicating their thoughts regarding new hardware adapted to the touch Screen capabilities of Windows 8.  In particular there was a Notebook with an ingeniously rigged screen element that would flip over to form a tablet.   It appears we can expect much new innovation in the new year

Dana

• ::
« Reply #647 on: October 27, 2012, 11:29:33 AM »
Thanks Harold, that looks interesting.  I have to find out how its accessed when abroad.  I don't want to buy some expensive package that I only need a couple of months in the year, max.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #648 on: October 27, 2012, 07:47:23 PM »
Dana...if your ereader or Ipad has WiFi connection, you can connect to any WiFi anywhere.  When we were in Scandanavia in July, people with ereaders with WIFi and IPADS with Wifi connected in every single one of our hotels...and it was free there.  It may be that hotels elsewhere charge for WiFi, depending on where you're going.  I know some of these devices also have 3G capability, but I don't know how that works so will that to others to answer.

If you know where you're staying, you might be able to check their online website and see if they have WiFi and if there's a charge.

jane

Steph

« Reply #649 on: October 28, 2012, 06:28:18 AM »
I have a stupid hiccup and hope someone can tell me how to fix it.
Two days ago, I made a mistake in an address, misspelling part of it. Normally it would kick back and I would change it, but somehow Road Runner took it in and now has it in the outbox and of course it wont go through. There seems to be no way to retrieve the message from there.. I know I can in my lap top, but not the PC..I assume that either Bill gates or Road Runner has somehow managed to screw it up.. I keep getting a message when I am in internet express that there is a message that cannot be sent, but there is no way that I can get to the message. I must have tried every single window, etc and nothing erases or brings the message back to erase it. Any ideas???
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Frybabe

« Reply #650 on: October 28, 2012, 08:22:19 AM »
Sounds odd. I never had any problem getting into my sent box and deleting the files. However, I don't use Internet Express or Roadrunner. So I can't help. I will be interested to see an answer to your question, though, for future reference.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #651 on: October 28, 2012, 12:34:11 PM »
What email program are you using, Steph?

I assume you've tried RIGHT clicking on your mouse on the message in your outbox and seeing if any options come up?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #652 on: November 09, 2012, 11:30:16 PM »
Once upon a time I knew how to use the clone brush in Adobe Photo Shop...but now that I need it, I cannot remember the steps involved, nor can I follow the instructions.  Is anyone familiar with this?

I need to remove the house across the street in the background of this photo...would like to clone the tree leaves next to the house so that there are all leaves, no house.

Frybabe

« Reply #653 on: November 10, 2012, 08:16:28 AM »
It's been a long time since I've done any Photoshop. I am not sure if you can "erase" the house first or must use the silhouette feature to get rid of it. I have a really ancient version. I can play around with it a little this afternoon and see what I come up with. Oh, and I have some old Photoshop tricks books around. I'll see if I can find something there. Since they went to CS, I wonder if Adobe has any old tutorials that may help still available. Do a search and see if anyone has a how-to out there. And don't forget the forums over at S&F. I'll bet Soapy Bubble and a few others know exactly how to do it.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #654 on: November 10, 2012, 09:29:57 AM »
Oh thank you, Fry!  I've an antique copy of Photoshop on my sluggish laptop too - sometimes it works, sometimes it freezes. I think it's version 5 - from 2000..   I'm wondering if I can load the software to my hard drive.

Please let me know if you have time to play with it - and exactly what you did?  Thanks!  It's so hard to get everyone together for a group photo - everyone in the same state - in the same country!

Frybabe

« Reply #655 on: November 10, 2012, 10:04:48 AM »
I think it depends on the OS you are using now. I am using Windows 7 which I was able to install Photoshop Elements 2. I didn't even try to install my regular Photoshop 4. When I migrated to 7, some of my old programs installed okay, some didn't.

Now to make lunch, then I'll be ready to see what is what.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #656 on: November 10, 2012, 10:19:30 AM »
When my old computer died it was right BEFORE windows 7 came out and I was forced, literally forced to buy this Vista OS...  I had heard so many negatives about it - and really didn't want it.  Still don't , but it works.  Had to get a new printer, scanner and other programs wouldn't work  with it...something about drivers.  Everything works pretty well now, except every once in a while I come across programs that will not work.

Maybe I'll find some time to try my Photoshop5 on this - but I do know that when I went to the laptop with the XP operating system - it  was working, but I couldn't remember how to clone the trees with the clone brush. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #657 on: November 10, 2012, 11:28:31 AM »
Good heavens, Pearson!!

Talk about Mother of Nations!

I should have had 4 boys instead of two!

:)

In Paintshop pro 5 you look for the two brushes symbol and click on it and then right click on the trees you want to reproduce and then left click on the house and the trees appear.

Personally  I think it will be difficult because it will look odd, you'd want to copy the trees at the base line above, is it David's head? Because you'd have high level trees in the wrong place  I'd leave the house.
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

GeneJ

« Reply #658 on: November 10, 2012, 01:24:34 PM »
Hi, I haven't been on here for many, many months. Last time I asked about a kindle and I finally bought one. I find it handy. Thanks all who helped with comments.

Now I'm thinking about buying an Apple product and I have many, many questions. Too many to put in one post. So I have decided to work with several.  A relative told me that if I bought my Apple product in an Apple store I could always go back there to get instructions on the use of the device.  However, that's where the first snag comes in. How do I find such a store. I googled and got nowhere. I live in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts.  If anyone knows where I might find such a store please advise. The possible product on which I'll say more in a later post is an IPod.

Frybabe

« Reply #659 on: November 10, 2012, 01:35:47 PM »
http://www.apple.com/retail/

Gene, put in your zip or city and state. It will come up with four apple stores in MA and one in NH.m It looks like the closest one to you is in Natick (A) on the map.

GeneJ

« Reply #660 on: November 10, 2012, 03:45:31 PM »
http://www.apple.com/retail/

Gene, put in your zip or city and state. It will come up with four apple stores in MA and one in NH.m It looks like the closest one to you is in Natick (A) on the map.

Thanks Frybabe, I will follow up.  :)

GeneJ

« Reply #661 on: November 10, 2012, 04:11:16 PM »
Frybabe,

Just what the doctor ordered. I have visited the site and I will be able to ask all my numerous questions at the store. This information has been extremely helpful.

Thanks again,

Gene   :)

mabel1015j

« Reply #662 on: November 10, 2012, 04:40:19 PM »
My dgt is bugging me to get an iphone. I have a cell phone but it has to be charged frequently even tho i keep it in the car to use for emergencies and hardly ever use it. I have an ipad which does many of the same extra  things i could do on an iphone. I know some of you techies must have iphones. Tell me your experiences, pro and con and any suggestions you have.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #663 on: November 14, 2012, 03:46:23 AM »
I know that some of you told me - some time ago - how to resolve problems with my Kindle, but now I can't find the post, so I am here hoping that you will take pity on me again.

When I purchase items from Amazon, many of them won't open on the Kindle.  It says they were successfully downloaded, and they appear on the home page, but if I try to open them I get a message saying they won't open.  I have gone onto Kindle Help on the Amazon site and have followed their instructions about deleting the item, restarting the Kindle, then re-downloading the item - and it gets me absolutely nowhere, just the same message when I try to open the item.  I don't think it's a problem with one particular item, it's happening regularly.  The items are still in my 'archive' so I can download them again, but to no avail.

Any ideas much appreciated (and this time I'll bookmark your words of wisdom  ;D)

Thanks

Rosemary

rosemarykaye

« Reply #664 on: November 14, 2012, 03:49:28 AM »
And while I'm here - another problem!

My MacBook Pro (grrrrr...) has suddenly started to refuse to download anything.  I click on documents from known senders (eg my daughter's school newsletter) and which have always downloaded fine in the past, and nothing happens.  I've tried re-opening the documents, etc but it just seems to be unable to download anything.  Although the items I want were sent to me via my email server, I don't think it's a problem with that, as I went into the email programme on our ancient desktop computer, and the items downloaded just fine.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,

Rosemary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #665 on: November 14, 2012, 07:23:39 AM »
Rosemary, you might try calling Amazon's tech service.  I've called them in the past, and they were very helpful, and fixed my problem quickly.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Frybabe

« Reply #666 on: November 14, 2012, 07:27:58 AM »
RE: your MacPro problem. Did you run a virus scan? Don't forget to do a boot scan, which scans before the operating system comes up. Don't ask me how you do that on a Mac.

Did any of your software get upgraded recently? Occasionally, not so much these days though, a software upgrade or update doesn't install correctly or interferes with another program. Did you try installing your email browser and reinstalling it? Also, check with your email server. Does their website have a toubleshooting or tech support section? Occasionally, the servers are upgraded and sometimes it creates an incompatibility with some computers. There may be a fix posted or a work around posted in tech support or one of the forum groups.

Those are my best thoughts, but keep in mind I am not Mac OS fluent.

I also have had good service from Amazon's techies.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #667 on: November 14, 2012, 01:37:46 PM »
Thank you so much Frybabe, I will try all those things - it must be something!

Mary - you are so right about Amazon.  Having tried everything on their 'help' page for Kindle, I emailed them and they immediately replied offering me a phone call or an online 'chat'.  I opted for the latter, and was immediately contacted by a very helpful lady, who talked me through the whole thing and eventually told me I would have to return the device to 'factory settings', which she explained how to do.  She was so patient and unpatronising - Apple could certainly learn a thing or two from Amazon's service.  Of course the whole Kindle thing had to stop when I couldn't remember the password for our home wi-fi - but husband has now supplied this, so I'll carry on with the re-setting up, and the Kindle lady told me to get straight back to her if it didn't work.  

I told her I would tell all my book friends how good their service was - so here I am!

Rosemary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #668 on: November 14, 2012, 04:02:28 PM »
Hooray for Rosemary and Amazon!!!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mabel1015j

« Reply #669 on: November 15, 2012, 11:51:10 AM »
Mary, i think i remember your saying you had the original ipad and now have a newer version? Is the audio better in the later one? The volume of the first one can not always be turned up loud enough - and i dont have a hearing problem - and the tenor tones are not good. ........ Just curious.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #670 on: November 15, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
I had a kindle2, then got a later version.  I don't think I  ever used the sound on that one.  I've never particularly liked audio books.  I have an iPad 3 now, my first, and do my reading on it now.  Gave the kindle to our daughter.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #671 on: November 16, 2012, 04:06:11 AM »
Mary, do you like the I-Pad?  My husband has offered to take the hated MacBook off my hands and buy me a 'tablet' for my birthday, but I am nervous about buying anything from Apple after all the trouble I have had from them.  Also we are not sure if the keyboard on a tablet (even if you buy an external one) would be enough for writing documents (as opposed to short emails and posts), and whether I could get used to not having a mouse - I really don't like the way you are supposed to 'drag' everything on the MacBook, my hands never seem to be big enough and I am always losing things half way to the 'trash' icon.

Rosemary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #672 on: November 16, 2012, 06:35:14 AM »
Rosemary, I really like the iPad, but our daughters bought it for me. It's an early Xmas present, plus something I could use more easily after I fell and broke my upper arm, near the shoulder, last summer.  Reasoning being it would be easier to manage one handed than my laptop.  This it is, but there are still some things I prefer to do on the laptop.. Like most longer writing.  I've gotten pretty good at one finger typing . I had the second surgery on the shoulder on 25 oct.  there are cases for the iPad that include a keyboard, but for me, I think that would make it too heavy.  I like using the mouse, too.  Two daughters with iPads have all but given up other computers, but I'm no ready to do that.  It's great for travel, though.  And I have completely given up my kindle, though . All my books are on the iPad now.  Hope that helps.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #673 on: November 16, 2012, 08:44:13 AM »
Thanks Mary, that's really helpful.  You mentioned the mouse - can you buy one for the i-pad or were you referring to another computer?  I don't mind the built-in mouse on the MacBook keyboard, but I'm not sure about not having one at all.

Rosemary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #674 on: November 16, 2012, 10:49:31 AM »
Rosemary, I don't know about a mouse for the iPad - the one I was talking about is for my laptop.  I want to get to the Apple store (Mac place in our area) for some iPad classes, but it'll probably be another month or so (or into next year) before I can do that.  I still haven't been released to drive, and the store is at a mall across town.  I'm sure there are lots of things I could do with the iPad that I haven't figured out on my own.  I was a secretary/typist/etc in my working life, so I know I'll always be more comfortable with a slanted keyboard for my typing.  But I can do the one-finger then fairly easily for short things.  I wouldn't want it to be my only computer - at least not without an attachable keyboard.  If possible, go to an Apple store and try one out - and see what accessories are available.

LarryHanna

« Reply #675 on: November 16, 2012, 11:06:51 AM »
Rosemary, I have a very light keyboard that I bought for about $16 from eBay that is blue tooth and it works very well if you want to type a longer item.  However, I don't have much trouble with the keyboard on the iPad as the letters are big and I usually use that rather than the keyboard.  I don't see any need for a mouse as it is a touch screen and very easy to use.
LarryBIG BOX

rosemarykaye

« Reply #676 on: November 17, 2012, 05:30:23 AM »
Thanks Larry - is the touch screen easier to use than an i-phone one?  The trouble I have with that is that I am forever touching the wrong letters - am getting a bit better now I have an android (not Apple - Huwaei (?sp)) phone, but I'm still not that good at it.

Rosemary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #677 on: November 17, 2012, 08:22:49 AM »
I'm not Larry, of course, but....   I think the iPad type pad is much easier than a phone - much bigger.  Again, Rosemary, try to find one to actually hold in your hands and give a trial run.

LarryHanna

« Reply #678 on: November 17, 2012, 12:20:45 PM »
Mary, I certainly agree with you on the iPad keyboard being much easier to use.  Howver, I find I most often do one finger typing versus what I do on the keyboard. 
LarryBIG BOX

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #679 on: November 17, 2012, 02:50:41 PM »
Agreed, Larry.