Author Topic: Read Around The World  (Read 49895 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: Read Around The World
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2009, 02:01:55 PM »

A site where we find books and films  
in all the corners of the world,
created by those who have lived there.
 IMPAC International Literary Awards

Words Without Borders

Best Translated Books 2008

Academy Award Winning International Films

100 Greatest Foreign Films

Discussion Leader:    Pedln

Thanks Ann - I was reading Rev. Wright's book when all that broke loose during the run-up to the election and I could not figure out if the media was making a big deal over something they did not understand to rile folks against Obama or if I should set the Reverend aside - as a result I shelved the book - and since Advent was around the corner it was easy to pick up other reads. Between you and Hats I really must get that book back on the coffee table where the current and next reads are piled.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2009, 10:13:02 AM »
On PBS this week, Rick Steves is visiting Iran.  I think the show might be on tonight.  The ads emphasize his search  for the common Iranian citizens living in this ancient country whom most of us know nothing about.  Here's a link to Steves page about Iran.  I would think we can all find the show in our area.   There is a link for finding when your city will be showing it.  The program is an hour long.

http://www.ricksteves.com/iran/

Check it out!!

Persian and the folks who have read books about the middle and central Asian probably would like to see this as will I.  Somewhere back on the old SN site, I led a discussion about Iran and an American family's search for their old friend and servant.  Most interesting story and hopeful, too.  Title is:  "Searching For Hassan" by Terrance Ward.  The trip takes place in 1998 and probably couldn't happen in today's Iran.   
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Babi

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2009, 10:44:24 AM »
 Oh, my, ANNIE.  I definitely think the version with the green background is more hopeful.  I'm going to look up the Guildhall Art Gallery and see if they are showing the exhibit you mentioned. I'd like to see that other version.  I think I'll look up more of G. F. Watts work, too.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2009, 10:54:27 AM »
Yes, Babi, the more colorful picture is the most hopeful but the more darkly colored picture is the one in the Tate Museum and is also the original one.  I think if one reads the caption, the artist's intent is better understood.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

MarjV

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2009, 07:33:07 PM »
As to the Canadian film - The Stone Angel - I had to stop watching it.    Too many discomforts in it for me.     We all come at these books and films with our backgrounds.   

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2009, 10:58:46 PM »
Ann, thanks so much for showing the picture of Hope, and giving the background information on it.  It’s amazing the difference between the one at the Tate and the one shown here.  I was not familiar with either the picture or the artist, but found a site here that lets one browse paintings by artist, and there are several by Watts.

GF Watts

And I just added Stone Angel to my Netflix queue, after finding out that it does have captions.  Marj, did it remind  you at all of A Trip to Bountiful?

Each year my community offers a united-we-read program where everyone reads the same book, and there are speakers and discussion groups throughout the designated time period.  This year it will be A Long Way Gone: memoir of a boy soldier by Ismael Beal, about the children who were forced to take up arms in Sierre Leon.  Has anyone here read it?

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2009, 05:51:21 AM »
This is a great heading Pedln, Thanks for launching RATW, I say the list of best foreign films, many of the I saw. especially the French ones.

Last fall I read Love in the Time of the Cholera and loved it. It was my first Marquez, then I read The Reader and I am now in the Elegance of the Hedgehog.

I certainly will enjoy the Hedgehog discussion. The book is an absolute must read because it opens the door to many many interpretations of how we see life. Even if the author is relatively young, she was born in 1969, she has a keen eye for discerning people's character which usually comes later in life. I have the French version but Indigo Book store has the English version.

You read The Reader in one sitting, it is so gripping you don't want to put it down and it is a short book. I will read The Homecoming.

If you come across Suite Française, by Irene Némirovsky it is a jewel of a book.

Babi

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2009, 09:57:57 AM »
I looked up G. E. Watts, too, PEDLN.   A surprising number of the pictures I saw had angels in them.  Not the pretty, female guardian angels, but strong, masculine looking angels, including the 'Angel of Death'.  He did a number of contemporary portraits, too.  The most colorful of his paintings that I saw was his portrait of actress Ellen Terry. She evidently inspired a departure from his usual palette.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

MarjV

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2009, 09:53:59 AM »
Quote from: Eloise link=topic=

If you come across Suite Française, by Irene Némirovsky it is a jewel of a book.

[/quote

I sure do agree with Eloise about Suite!   Just remarkable.

Here's the NYT review:      http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/09/books/review/09gray.html

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »
Marj, when Ginny suggested that book I was curious and by coincidence my Literary Club had it available, needless to say I read it right away. Another one you can't put down, how I wish it could always be read in French, her prose flows smooth like a river at sunset.   

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2009, 02:47:05 PM »
ELOISE: how well you put that.

I really recommend "Beloved". It is not difficult to understand. It is difficult in the sense that the level of emotion in the book is so high, you feel "wrung out" on reading it. But it is an experience not to be missed.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2009, 06:33:23 PM »
Welcome Eloise.  It’s good to see you here.  You have certainly been reading around the world.  Those books are great recommendations.  I’m really looking forward to reading Hedgehog as soon as my library notifies me it’s ready, and also The Reader.

I’m glad you like the film list.  I checked the Foreign Film Academy Award link, and found that I’d seen some of the recent winners (or nominees) while visiting my children who live in cities where theatres don’t hesitate to show subtitled films.  Both Lives of Others and The Counterfeiters (German or Austrian) were excellent, but one of my favorites was After the Wedding, a Danish film.

Babi, mea culpa, it’s GF Watts – George Frederick.  I think he was married to Ellen Terry.

Babi

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2009, 09:29:29 AM »
Ah, PEDLN, that would certainly explain the uncharacteristic exuberant color of the portrait of her.  I'm so pleased by that tidbit.

I have been reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Societ", in preparation for the Feb. discussion. I'm enjoying it so much, and it's very easy to read.  I like the letter format; it reminds me of an old favorite, "88 Charing Cross Road".  I highly recommend it.

MarjV

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2009, 11:53:37 AM »
Thanks Pedlin for the film ideas.

Here are the Foreign Film Golden Globe nominations from the other week's presentations.   I haven't seen any so can't comment further.   If you subscribe to Netflix they can be "saved" in your queue.

The Baader Meinhof Complex (Germany)
Everlasting Moments (Sweden)
Gomorrah (Italy)
I've Loved You So Long (France)
Waltz With Bashir (Israel)

MarjV

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2009, 11:59:38 AM »
Pedlin, you asked if "Stone Angel" reminded me of "Trip to Bountiful" - only in that there was a trip - but I didn't watch Stone all the way.

I want to say again - I'm glad we have this Around the World topic.

Currently I'm reading a Robert Barnard (British author) mystery A Cry From the Dark.    Set in England ; in sections the novelist character Bettina brings in her childhood in Australia.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2009, 03:01:54 PM »
MargV: do you like mysteries? Let us know about it in Mystery Corner (hit arrow next to "Go to" below).

hats

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2009, 06:32:36 AM »
http://www.redlightwarningsignals.com/witchdoctor/book.html

This is a small book. I'm going to try it out. I have it here beside me. I've never heard of this author. I hope it's good. I have heard a lot about the Masai tribe. I would like to know more about the tribe. This book might have some humor too.

http://www.amazon.com/Backyard-Tribe-Neil-B-Shulman/dp/0312105134

hats

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2009, 06:54:34 AM »
I finished "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" by Alexander McCall Smith. Now I'm ready for "Miracle at Speedy Motors." I will hate to see this series end. One of the mysteries in this one involves a hospital. It's really, really interesting.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2009, 10:14:13 AM »
Hats, what an interesting-sounding book --  The Backyard Tribe.  How did you ever happen to come across that title?  It looks like it may be out-of-print, though available.  Perhaps if Shulman, the author, gets the film made the book will come back in print.  The theme, what happens when there is cultural misunderstanding, reminds me of the film, The Gods Must Be Crazy, about what happens when an isolated tribe meets up with 20th century civilization.  Do let us know what you think of the book.

MarjV,  thanks so much for the list of GG Foreign Film nominees.   I’ve heard of a couple of them, but don’t really know what they are about.  Will have to check them out.

Is McCall Smith's Precious R series ending?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2009, 02:20:37 PM »
oww oww Hats - glad to see your post - wanted to let you know I found my Rev. Wright book of sermons and now I realize why I did not remember the painting - whenever I read anything written about Hope my head immediately takes me to St. John of the Cross, Dark Night of the Soul who essentially says the same thing using a different metaphor - and so I read along and convert in my head adding to my already grounded understanding of Hope and the new metaphor goes right by me. Glad I re-read the sermon though - it was another opportunity to reflect on aspects of my life. Thanks...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

MarjV

« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2009, 07:48:13 AM »
hats - there's been no indication on Smith's web sitei that his "Precious" series is ending.    Our lib has the newest one on order (can't remember the title).

MarjV

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2009, 05:31:55 PM »
Oho!!  This afternoon finished Scotland's Peter May's second Enzio MacLeod mystery - set in the wine country of France.   Mr.  May certainly can tell a convoluted tale.    Think : bodies soaked in wine.    Title:  The Critic.   Glad I read the first one initially.  Sets the scene for the main character interactions.

And now I have a copy of Guernsey from the lib.

And am also starting Everything Under the Sky by Spanish author Matilde Asensi.  The book cover says she is one of the most successful  historical thriller writers of her generation.   Story line is "hunt for the lost treature of China's first emperor".

hats

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2009, 09:33:20 AM »
Marj, that's good to know. Thanks. I'm ready for "Miracle at Speedy Motors." It's on the seven day shelf. This is for new books. I will wait until I can keep it a longer time.

MarjV

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2009, 12:21:51 PM »
This was in my current e-newsletter from the Alexander McCall Smith website:

".......new HBO No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. This begins on Sunday March 29. I am delighted with the job that the Weinstein Company has made of this project and I am very pleased that it will be running on HBO"

---------------------
I'm also reading short story book Say You're One of Them.   Not a fan of ss usually but I wanted a  taste of this new writer UMEM AKPAN.   

AUwem Akpan was born in the village of Ikot Akpan Eda in southern Nigeriafter studying philosophy and English at Creighton and Gonzaga universities, he studied theology for three years at the Catholic University of East Africa. He was ordained as a Jesuit priest in 2003 and received his MFA in creative writing from the University of Michigan in 2006. “My Parents’ Bedroom,” a story from his upcoming short story collection Say You’re One of Them, was one of five short stories by African writers chosen as finalists for The Caine Prize for African Writing.

In 2007, Akpan began a teaching assignment at a Jesuit college in Harare, Zimbabwe

The stories (2 I've read so far) are just unimaginable me. Startling.  Brutal and yet tell love.  "These five stories - set in Nigeria, Kenya, Rwanda, Ethiopia and Benin - are all about children and their perilous, confusing lives, their searches for bits of grace and transcendence along with food, family and survival. This link allows a huge, perplexing continent to be known in intimate ways"

hats

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2009, 08:35:34 AM »
I finished "Interpreter of Maladies" by Jhumpa Lahiri a while back. It's a book of short stories involving India. I enjoyed the whole collection. She has another collection titled "Unaccustomed Earth." I haven't read it yet. I hope my library has the collection you just named. I also receive Alexander McCall Smith's newsletter. It's very enjoyable.

Nope, my library doesn't have "Say You're One of Them. I bet it's a new book. I love short stories.

MarjV

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2009, 09:16:29 AM »
"Say............." is new fiction, hats.

Could you phone the lib and ask if it is on order?

I like reading of India - might look at those short stories by Lahiri.   I feel like I may have read them already.   Odd feeling.   have to look thru my notebook.

hats

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2009, 03:27:03 PM »
When you finish one good book, it's hard to start another one unless it equals or surpasses the last one. The last book I read was "Amagansett." I loved it. Now, I have another one that struck me immediately. Just a few pages in and tears came to my eyes. The title is River Woman by Donna Hemans.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?r=1&afsrc=1&EAN=0743410408

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2009, 03:58:38 PM »
What joy it is to see RATW back and so many old friends!

Hats, yes, "The Bookseller of Kabul" is nonfiction. Åsne Seierstad is a Norwegian reporter who lived in the house of  bookseller Sultan Khan and his family in Kabul for three months in 2002 and had his permission to write about the experience. 
Among many other things she writes how she visited the bazaar with the female members of the Khan family, encased in the limiting but protective cocoon of a burqua;  about the rigid rule that females be allowed outside only in the company of a male (even a minor will do);  and the rude,disrespectful treatment of the mother by one of Khan's sons. It was factual reporting of her own  first-hand experiences

In this connection I'd like to mention that our exchanges about  Paul Scott's "The Ray Quartet" are continuing.  We just started the first chapter of volume 4, A Division of  the Spoils.

Geraldine Brooks is a magnificent story teller. Last year the local book group had a great discussion of her book  "March", a story from the American Civil War, in which GB imaginatively creates the absent father in Louisa May Alcott's  "Little Women".

Brooks is coming to Sandwich on Cape Cod at the end of February to promote her new book just mentioned above and,  since the Cape is within reachable distance, we intend to be there. 

hats

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2009, 04:12:19 PM »
Straudetwo,

I would like to go with you. I hope you enjoy meeting Geraldine Brooks. I bet you are enjoying the Raj Quartet.

MarjV,

I rarely check out new books from the library. These books are on a seven day shelf. After six months, they change to twenty eight day. I feel rushed trying to read seven day books. I'm not fast enough.

Gumtree

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2009, 10:15:43 AM »
Hi HatsMy goodness, you get through an amazing number of books even if seven days is too short a time for you to read them in. I like to take my time as well.  ;)

Traude I agree Geraldine Brooks' work is excellent. She took me by surprise with March. She was here in Australia last year to promote The People of the Book which again was  something of a tour de force but she didn't come within 2,000 miles of where I am. Plenty of TV coverage though. Don't forget to give us your impressions of her.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2009, 05:25:04 PM »
gumtree, Geraldine Brooks is nothing if not versatile!  She worked for the Wall Street Journal for a few years, and they sent her to the Middle East.  Her first book is a report of that experience, Nine parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women. That's on my growing list of books to read.

P.S. I remember a lovely actress by that same name. She looked a little like Ann Baxter and was married to writer producer Budd Schulberg (On The Waterfront).

MarjV

« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2009, 09:14:26 PM »
hats:   our lib has 2 weeks for new fiction & 4 for new nonfiction .  And you can renew twice as long as no one has them on "hold".

kiwilady

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2009, 11:17:18 PM »
We can renew for a maximum period of 2 weeks so that altogether you can get six weeks to read a book.

Carolyn

Gumtree

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2009, 01:20:53 AM »
We have a good library system due in part to our isolation and the foresight of an early State Librarian. We  can request virtually anything and eventually they will produce it on loan from wherever.

My library card for my local library entitles me to borrow simultaneously from three other nearby libraries without further registration. It also allows borrowing from the City Library and can be used in regional (country) libraries while on holiday. It's a good system and completely free (paid for out of taxes of course).

The  local library allows borrowing of up to 12 items at a time which can be made up of books, magazines, journals, videos, dvds. talking books, and I can borrow just as much from the city library at the same time.
The normal borrowing time is for three weeks with two renewals of a further three weeks each -provided the items are not requested by others.

The State Reference Library is also available for borrowing in certain areas - eg music scores, films etc. Anything else they have can be requested through the local library. They have a Discard Shop which offers discarded library stock for a couple of dollars - and once or twice a year they run mammoth book sales in the underground carpark -I have bought many items there over the years.

I also have access to our University Library for which there is a fee and where membership criteria applies - again 12 items at a time for 6 weeks with option to renew for a further 6 weeks with the proviso that no-one else wants it. They do maintain the right to recall any item should a student or staff member require it - which  it has happened occasionally.

So it's pretty easy to find something to read in this part of the world. So tell me - why am I always in and out of bookshops?

kiwilady

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2009, 02:32:30 AM »
Gum we can have almost unlimited number of books. They do begin asking questions if you end up with more than 30 but there is no specified limits.

I usually have about a dozen books out at one time. I have seven on hold for me that I requested online. I will dash in and pick them up on Sunday morning.

Carolyn

Gumtree

« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2009, 11:37:36 PM »
Kiwilady 30 books at a time  :o that's a lot. I've not heard of libraries offering a virtually unlimited number of books before. I'd need a trolley to get that many to the carpark.

kiwilady

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2009, 11:50:07 PM »
The most I have had out at one time is twenty. I did not pick them all up on the same day.

Carolyn

Babi

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2009, 08:37:41 AM »
I assume if you have 20 books checked out,  you have more than two weeks in which to read them.  Even with two weeks renewal, I couldn't read 20 books in 4 weeks!

Persian

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2009, 09:02:52 AM »
Now that family issues have settled a bit, I have the delightful opportunity to catch up with SeniorLearn and this great site.  It is a true joy to be back among friends, especially in the literary world.

I'm preparing for a presentation at one of our local libraries and plan to talk about Afghan culture in connection with Greg Mortenson's Three Cups of Tea.  I've also included the SeniorLearn's Read Around the World site in my comments as an indication of how a group of REALLY dedicated bookies can overcome sudden tragedy and "reappear" in a new and continually exciting format.  In the past, I often referred to the former SN in presentations about books and now I can share this site with local folks, too. What a joy!  I'll certainly be back.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2009, 11:42:32 AM »
Mahlia, so good to see you here.

I would love to hear your presentation about the Afghan culture and Three Cups of Tea. The library patrons in your area are most fortunate, for with so much interest about Afghanistan, such a presentation can be nothing but a success. There has been a lot of concern expressed here about the schools that have been burned by the Taliban, and much hope that those built by Mortenson were not among them.

Thank you for your kind words about RATW and SeniorLearn.  Every one here is  also grateful that SL has been reborn.  Do come back, often

Learning about your presentation sent me to find other titles about that area of the world and I found several links, especially one I’d like to share here:

Nancy Pearl's Journey after Kite Runner

Nancy Pearl is a former Seattle librarian and author of Book Lust and More Book Lust.