Author Topic: Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon ~ March Book Club Online  (Read 98986 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon ~ March Book Club Online
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2014, 07:29:16 PM »
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.
March Book Club Online
Blue Highways - a Journey into America
by William Least Heat-Moon

This should be FUN!  Whether you decide to read and discuss William Least Heat-Moon's classic 1978 travel account  or share your own memories of the "blue highways" of America, you will probably leave winter doldrums behind -  in your driveway. Heat-Moon coined the term to refer to small, forgotten, out-of-the-way roads connecting rural America (which were drawn in blue on the old style Rand McNally road atlas).

The book chronicles the author's 13,000-mile journey and the people he meets along the way, as he steers clear of cities and interstates, avoiding fast food and exploring local American culture. His book was on the NY Times’ best seller list for 42 weeks in 1982-83, and its title became a cultural code word for a journey of introspection and discovery.

Some questions we'll explore:  
   *  What's left of the country stores and cafes on the old blue highways?
   *  Do you have photographs?

Discussion Schedule:
   Part One ~ March 3-7  (Eastward)  
   Part Two ~ March 8-11  (East by Southeast~The Carolinas, Georgia)  
   Part Three ~ March 12-13-14 (South by Southeast) ~ Mississippi, Alabama, Louisisana
   Part Four ~ March 15-16-17(South by Southwest)Texas, New Mexico, Arizona

Relevant Links:
  Least Heat Moon's route map (interactive)
   Interview with Least Heat-Moon "Be a Traveller, not a Tourist"
   QUOTES noted from Blue Highways

Some Topics for Discussion
March 15-17 PART FOUR Texas, New Mexico

Let's bring in our own experiences and observations whenever possible.
Let's continue the list of  Least Heat-Moon's  philosophical observations, which make this so much more than a travel journal. (Just post your favorites and we'll add them to a list.)

Part  FOUR ~ South by Southwast

1.  Where do you say the  East ends and the West begins?  How does Least Heat Moon react to  the openness, the emptiness, the solitude of the West?  

2.  Highway 21  "The bison laid the route, a nation would follow."  Can you locate it on a map?

3.  Why did Least Heat Moon  pull off the route to Dime Box, Texas - a small town with only two streets?  What did he learn in Claud Tyler's barber shop about change in Dime Box?

4.  The only Apache Least Heat Moon ever talked to.  "The old blood still showed."  What impression does the  limping WWII Navy vet who is hitch-hiking 500 miles across Texas to see sick brother, make on LHM?

5.  Highway 29 west of Pecos River - no towns, no plants, nada. "Men go into deserts to lose themselves."  Is this why Least Heat Moon chose this route? Solitude?

6. Fort Stockton - Mexican cafe - one table, a Chicano, an Indian, a Negro. "What a litany of grievances this table could recite."  And yet they break bread together here, unlike in the Deep South!

7.  Manhattan Cafe, Deming, New Mexico   Two bars: the Central, English, the Western, Spanish.  Were you not surprised that Least Heat Moon chose the Western?  Does a language barrier divide them?

8.  Virginia Breen, owner of the Desert  Den Bar & Filling Station - "we 've got a nice town, what's left of us."  How can she be content in this remote place, "the end of things, down this way"?

9. Do you understand what Least Heat Moon meant when he said it was the 4th time he crossed the Continental Divide that day?  

10. What did you think of "the Boss," the voice in the darkness that night in Cave Creek, Arizona? Was this all a dream? Did the Boss mirror Least Heat Moon's preoccupation with his own problems?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2014, 08:10:06 PM »
One paragraph at the end of Chap 8 really made me sit up and wonder how many of us has heard the history of Roanoke, Manteo, Virginia Dare??

"The highway wound into the dark trees again as it traversed the very place where the English colonies disappeared where the English, the last group leaving behind America's
mystery word---Croatoan--carved in a stockade timber.  Roanoke Island gave a shadowy sense of an older time that Plymouth Rock, surrounded, dwarfed, and protected in stone and steel, has lost.  A man told me, "Out on Roanoke, you can "feel" the beginning."
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2014, 12:17:41 AM »
Life has intervened, so I'm not up on the reading, and my comments may be irrelevant,  but here goes.  Virginia Dare was a name from my childhood, but she wasn't the first child born to european parents on this continent.  As far as we know, that honor belongs to Snorri Thorfinnsson, born sometime between 1004 and 1013 in the ill-fated Norse colony in Vinland.  His parents escaped in time, and he later became a major figure in the Christianization of Iceland, and several of his descendants were bishops.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »
Annie...a little more on the Croatans:

"The Croatan lived in current Dare County, an area encompassing the Alligator River, Croatan Sound, Roanoke Island, and parts of the Outer Banks, including Hatteras Island. Now extinct as a tribe, they were one of the Carolina Algonquian peoples, numerous at the time of English encounter in the 16th century

It is possible that some of the survivors of the Lost Colony of Roanoke may have joined the Croatan. Governor White finally reached Roanoke Island on August 18, 1590, three years after he had last seen them in Virginia, but he found his colony had been long deserted. The buildings had collapsed and "the houses  taken down". The few clues about the colonists whereabouts included the letters "CRO" carved into a tree, and the word "CROATOAN" carved on a post of the fort."

Who knows - little Virginia Dare may have lived after all!  We do know that she was never heard of again - many believed the Croatan caused the colony to flee, with only time to carve "Croatoan" on the post - and they were unable to survive beyond the fort.

Pat - remember the jingle?  "Say it again, Virginia Dare"  I think it was an ad for wine, Bruce thinks syrup.
Snorri Thorfinnsson, huh?  How did you know that?  Saving it for the next time you're on a quiz show?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2014, 12:29:22 PM »
Trying to catch up with y'all this morning, speeding into the "Deep South" for breakfast at the Deluxe Cafe in Darlington, South Carolina -

The Deluxe Cafe  Doesn't it look welcoming? - Heat Moon had expected a warm friendly Southern greeting by a grandmotherly type,  but instead got surly Brenda- Yes, the breakfast comes with grits and all...if you "ast for it."
The Cafe is still there - just remember to ask  for what you see listed on the menu... ;)

We need Ginny back here (once the Latin exam is over) to describe what we might see on the Old Ninety Six today - compared to what Least Heat Moon saw back in 1975.  

LHM writes that he sees the remnants of the old sharecroppers cabins still standing - I gather they weren't inhabited, but Fry   writes of the "nationally standardized boxes replacing them"...Fry, have I got it right?  Can these be seen from the road along side the old sharecroppers' cabins?  I wonder what happened to those jobs?

"Only on humanitarian grounds can a traveler approve the nationally standardized boxes replacing them." - Fry -

Was this:  
 supposed to replace this?

The Old Ninety Six - sits astride the Old Cherokee path -

The ranger fears that once the parkland is turned over to the Feds, it will be paved over to protect it from the hordes of visitors.  Do you understand that LHM agrees with him, but has a dislike for the new bulldozing over the old without regard or respect, as Fry sees it? How do you pave over With respect for the past?  Is respect for other cultures an underlying theme here?  What are your feelings about this?  The path, the remnants of the cabins?  Should they be preserved out of respect or is their time past?

CallieOK

« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2014, 02:15:12 PM »
JoanP,  re: the replacements for sharecropper shanties....When I was following his route on the Google map satellite pictures, I saw several places where there were "cookie cutter" houses  (similar to the ones built in the early 50's in "planned neighborhoods").  I thought he was referring to something like that, not another wooden structure out by itself.

(I found the race track on the satellite picture, too.)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2014, 06:56:10 PM »
Callie...please tell me what you are doing to see these places.  I do have access to Google maps... So you can see the Race Track?  Didn't you need an address or just the name of the race track?  I'll bet you couldn't find Swamp Guinea's Fish Lodge on your map - read that it closed shortly after Least Heat Moon drove through...reopened somewhere nearby though.
  But the Trappist Monastery still stands.  Can you see the monastery from the road?  The water tower that caught LHM's attention?

At the Monastery website, I found this invitation:

Have you ever just wanted to get away from it all? If so, the Monastery is the perfect place for you to escape to. Surround yourself in the Monastery’s natural beauty where you can rest, reflect, relax and learn about the monastic life. You are welcome to join us whenever you’d like

At every stop, LHM seems to learn something, another piece of the puzzle he's trying to solve on his journey.  Fry, did you really think he was uncomfortable here.  What do you think he got from this stop along the way? Obviously it was important to him..devoted a lot of time and ink...

CallieOK

« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2014, 08:20:50 PM »
JoanP,  I was actually on Map Quest when I saw the race track.  All of the following is a satellite view - not a street view.
I asked for directions from Darlington to Ninety Six and chose the options: Shortest Distance, No Highways, No Tolls.  
I clicked Satellite (in the top right hand corner of the map). That brought up a picture with the route marked in purple.  Lucky that it was Highway 34.

I used the + - lines at the right hand side to bring the image in closer and used the directional arrows (just above the + -) to click along the purple marked route (Highway 34).  This is a VERY slow process.

Just west of Darlington I spotted a big oval area and brought it in as close as possible.  It wasn't identified as the race track - but was the only thing I saw along the route that looked like a possibility.

At Ninety Six, I backed up the view and saw "Ninety Six National Historical Site" south of the town of Ninety Six.  Rte 248 was on its left and I zoomed in to what looked like a Visitors Center.

I did this same thing asking for directions from Conyers, GA to The Monastary.  Turns out that address is 2625 Highway 2125SW. (The directions said "if you reach The Monastary of the Holy Ghost, you've gone 0.1 miles too far".  It's labeled on the map but there's a very short road just north of there.
 This is a Google Maps link to the street view:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/2625+Georgia+212/@33.582528,-84.068513,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sg9m0URHzIsyu3FjB0NSyzQ!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x88f44dc974b0fc4d:0xb98a1971decb86e0!6m1!1e1
I suspect it's the building you can see through the trees.
Use the circular arrow to move in a panoramic view and get an idea of what the countryside looks like.

TMI?  Sorry 'bout that!   ;D  I'm way ahead in the reading - so I'm off to see what else I can find....

CallieOK

« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2014, 09:18:08 PM »
OMT:   http://www.trappist.net/ Monastery of the Holy Spirit, Conyers, GA

O.K., I'll stop now.  :D
Sleep well, everyone and have pleasant dreams

Frybabe

« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2014, 09:06:51 AM »
The monastery is certainly different than I pictured it. So modern looking.

Yes, JoanP, I did think he communicated a certain ill-defined discomfort.  As I start (and I only just started) the next section, his seems to have had something of a revelation(?) or insight, a feeling of loss for the quiet, simple, peaceful, faithful place he just left - a mind shift of a sort, or a recognition of something within him, long ignored or suppressed, a kinship to those seeking an inner peace maybe. He does seem to gravitate to a simpler life, and/or of solitude. Perhaps the monastery visit helped in his emotional healing process over his divorce and job loss. The discomfort I read into his earlier comments may have been his unconscious (or conscious a times?) efforts to avoid emotional turmoil. Does that make any sense? I think I've been in that emotional situation once or twice.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2014, 09:29:08 AM »
Goodness, Callie!  I rode along Route 212 and can almost see the monastery from the road!  You're right - it is addictive!  You are also right - it is slooow going.  I think the others have left us in the dust!  Where are you in the reading?  You say you are way ahead...

'a feeling of loss for the quiet, simple, peaceful, faithful place he just left'   Frybabe, yes, it makes a lot of sense!  

When Least Heat Moon left the monastery, he wrote, "Coming here is a call to be quiet.  When I go quiet I stop hearing myself and start hearing the world outside me."  That seems to be exactly what he did!

It's a good thing he had this time of peace and rest - after which he wrote - "that evening in Talapoosa County was to change the direction of the journey."  What do you think he meant?

Where is everyone? Have you already sailed through Alabama, Mississippie, Louisiana or just beginning?  I'm going to admit I'm eager to pass through this part of the country - find it depressing.  Right now I'm asking myself why.  How about you?  Have you ever spent much time in any of these southern-most states?  I've only been to New Orleans ~ as a tourist, I'll admit.  Never did get to know the people as Least Heat Moon did in the short time he was there...

Frybabe

« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2014, 04:24:06 PM »
I'm on the Natchez Trail Parkway at the moment.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2014, 05:37:18 PM »
Didn't realize we're starting Pert 3 today. Off to read it.

Ocean lover that I am, I can't believe he was that near the ocean, and didn't go there. But he seems to be more interested in people than in nature. That makes sense, if he's looking for people who have figured out how to live this crazy life of ours. Some people figure it out in nature, other elsewhere. The Trappist monastery was certainly an important experience for him.

CallieOK

« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2014, 05:57:53 PM »
Joan,  I've actually finished the book - but I'm re-reading the sections to look for details as the discussion goes along .

My late husband was from the northern part of Mississippi but what we're reading about the southern part doesn't sound all that much different.  I've been on part of the Natchez Trace at the northern end.

The Choctaws were "removed" to the part of Indian Territory (Oklahoma) where I grew up.

Links to the Choctaw Nation (MS and OK)  http://www.choctaw.org/aboutMBCI/history/ and

http://www.choctawnation.com/history/

Most of the white settlers came into that area from Appalachia - many after the Civil War.

"The Mercy Seat" by Rilla Askew is about some of them.  She is from southeastern Oklahoma.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2014, 05:58:36 PM »
Selma will not be an easy stop, Joan...but you MUST meet James Walker.  I forget, are you reading on Kindle?  If you have a book, there are photos grouped together in the middle do the book...James Walker's picture is there.

Oops, I missed your posts, Callie and Fry - glad you are with us on this rocky road.  
So that's where the Choctaw went when they had to leave Mississippi!. I'm going to read your link now -thanks!

ps I 'm hoping Wim Heat Moon meets up with a Choctaw or two in OK!
pps Callie, can you channel the Natchez Trace Parkway? I understand it's a new road now.  

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #135 on: March 12, 2014, 08:51:56 PM »
Well, now because I was forgetting some of what I read, I started back in the Monastery and am now behind where I was (good grief)!  So am sort of reading the book all over again!
Selma was disappointing since the citizens told him nothing had really changed! I felt so so sorry for the Vietnam Nam vet who had hoped that by learning a job in the service, he would be able to find a job when he was discharged and that was not going to happen.  I hope things are better now.
I will now search for ya'll wherever you are.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2014, 09:55:52 PM »
Annie...you're in Alabama...so are we.  I know how you felt to hear, "ain't nothin changed."

Frybabe

« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2014, 07:42:21 AM »
Yea! I got my reply button back. Post from The Library:

For some odd reason, I am missing the reply button in the Blue Highways discussion. I wanted to know what ever happened to James Walker of Selma. I got my answer. In Blue Highways Revisited, it states that he died in 2000 at age 46 of an aneurism.  http://books.google.com/books?id=WaaI4g1rWe4C&pg=PA62&lpg=PA62&dq=James+Walker+Selma+AL&source=bl&ots=WTvvxKOfxY&sig=O-u-58bJjeXvUfAC605ZAFLG_e0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=BJMhU-P5FaGR0AHW7YDwCg&ved=0CCoQ6AEwATgK#v=onepage&q=James%20Walker%20Selma%20AL&f=false Scroll around and look at the photos, etc. I noticed that his log pages had more than actually got into the book, like the diagram of the Sandy Creek Resevoir. Oh, and the picture of the grave stone we wondered about. The sons were making a statement, for sure.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2014, 07:55:59 AM »
Good morning, Fry!

Wonderful photos!  Thank you! Just to put that site into context, the pictures were not taken by Least Heat Moon, but several years later and published in a volume called Blue Highways  Revisited. From Amazon:

In 1978, William Least Heat-Moon made a 14,000-mile journey on the back roads of America, visiting 38 states along the way. In 1982, the popular Blue Highways, which chronicled his adventures, was published. Three decades later, Edgar Ailor III and his son, Edgar IV, retraced and photographed Heat-Moon’s route, culminating in Blue Highways Revisited, released for publication on the thirtieth anniversary of Blue Highways. A foreword by Heat-Moon notes, “The photographs, often with amazing accuracy, capture my verbal images and the spirit of the book. Taking the journey again through these pictures, I have been intrigued and even somewhat reassured that America is changing not quite so fast as we often believe. The photographs, happily, reveal a recognizable continuity – but for how much longer who can say – and I'm glad the Ailors have recorded so many places and people from Blue Highways while they are yet with us.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2014, 08:28:19 AM »
"Taking the journey again through these pictures, I have been intrigued and even somewhat reassured that America is changing not quite so fast as we often believe." Least Heat Moon

Funny, I had been feeling so low when I went to bed after reading of Heat Moon's encounters in the South - how nothing had really changed since the marches, Voting Rights, etc...the racial prejudice and bigotry...

When I woke up, I had a different perspective - realized time had passed since LHMoon's book was published, that there was reason to hope conditions would improve after reading James Walker's plans and determination to get an education - and oh, Barbara Pierre in St. Martinsville, in Louisiana - the same thing, didn't you love her! Didn't you know things were going to change, despite the town gossips?

Change was coming...it was just takes time.  It still is and will be...
The funny thing was coming to this realization, this perspective...and then reading that James Walker did in fact get his education, had a wife and children, became a children's guidance counselor..

And then to read Heat Moon's forward to Blue Highways Revisited decades later:
"Taking the journey again through these pictures, I have been intrigued and even somewhat reassured that America is changing not quite so fast as we often believe." Least Heat Moon

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2014, 08:39:23 AM »
If you're reading the book, you may have a photo section in the middle...pictures of James Walker in Selma and Barbara Pierre in St. Martinsville, LA. Don 't miss them!

Those photos were taken by Least Heat Moon on his trip.  

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2014, 09:59:22 AM »
Oh I love that Blue Highways  Revisited, thank you, Frybabe,  and it's allowed me to catch up to where I think you are. It's a quick way to catch up and not miss anything.

I went to college in the south in 1961, and I think it's quite heartening to see the changes since then.  I also think that it's important to preserve the oral history as it were and what was the situation then,  so people growing up today can see a difference. If, in fact, there really IS one. Recent revelations about a popular cook's perspectives have raised that issue.  Again.  Everybody loved the Help, everybody loved saying to themselves well of course I wouldn't be like the (bad)  people depicted;   this is just  another chapter.

But at the same time, he's only a tourist, driving through. You can't judge anything or anybody by the offhand observations of people you encounter,  (tho most people do, and form their opinions of that area forever frozen based on the 15 minute stop)...as you drive through a place,  there may be (and always is) another side or perspective. And certainly not everybody on either side of the fence in an issue can be firmly put in one camp, either.

I like this statement: "The photographs, happily, reveal a recognizable continuity – but for how much longer who can say –"  A recognizable continuity, what an interesting thing to say. Continuity may be one thing lacking to us in 2014.

I love the Revisited book and the photos. I am most struck by the cottonwood tree in Texas (you can really catch  up fast) and the fact anybody would take a photo of it or think it was meaningful enough TO take a photo of and cut down every year. I think I need the book Revisited.

I would like to know exactly where we are, that is the page (if paperback) or chapter or? What city in Alabama? Selma?

There's  another real change happening in America, which is exemplified by  what we think of as "quaintness" of some of the photos, it's quaint now, it wasn't then. Along with regional dialects in speech and pronunciation, we're possibly losing some of that individuality as time progresses. Is that a good or bad thing, one wonders. Is it good we all sound like TV announcers? Is  the "recognizable continuity" good or bad? So many issues this book brings up, not all instantly (a la 2014) solvable.

This has become somewhat addictive, I notice in the map above the "Old South Carolina State Road" appears to run smack thru my area. I  can find no reference to it, today,  that is,  which road it might have been,  they say the original route here is unsure.  But there is a road which runs to Asheville through Spartanburg to Union  a mile and  a half from me, and  there are old plantations out here, some quite fine, and of course Glenn Springs, the church of which remains, a famous spa resort town of the 1900's. Here's the colorful history of Glenn Springs, SC:  http://library.sc.edu/blogs/newspaper/2011/08/09/glenn-springs-south-carolina/.

Some people, when they travel, (I think all travel is a quest) are looking hard for something meaningful, and take every word from the mouth of strangers as omens or more. Oracles maybe.  SOMETIMES in some circumstances, they  may also just be the musings of somebody having a bad day or heartburn.  This reminds me of Studs Terkel, interviewing "the common man," tho how common each man is, I guess, is debatable.

I would like to start the book over, in fact, and probably will, this week, tho it seems a book to savor slowly and think about. You kind of want to read 3 pages and put it down and think about it.
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2014, 12:18:10 PM »
Hey Ginny!  It's so good to see you here -  you add so much already!

A few quick comments on your post - without getting into the specifics -

"it seems a book to savor slowly and think about. You kind of want to read 3 pages and put it down and think about it"
Hahaha, that's exactly why Pedln's dentist referred to this book as a "bathroom book!

"I LOVE those photos. They are a perfect compliment to the book."
Are you referring to the photos in the center of the paper copy of the book - or those from the link Frybabe posted, which were taken three decades  later by Edgar Ailor III and his son, Edgar IV, who retraced and photographed Heat-Moon’s route, culminating in Blue Highways Revisited?

"I would like to know exactly where we are, that is the page (if paperback) or chapter or? What city in Alabama? Selma?"
Since we're not travelling in a convoy - stopping at the same places, we are taking the books by the different PARTS.  Right now we are in Part 3 - which includes Chapters 1-14 - that covers Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana -   That said, all comments are welcome, wherever you stop your car!  

ps  Trying very hard to stick to the schedule and dates in the heading whenever you are feeling lost.
I'll copy the schedule from the heading for you -
Discussion Schedule:
   Part One ~ March 3-7  (Eastward)  
   Part Two ~ March 8-11  (East by Southeast~The Carolinas, Georgia)  
   Part Three ~ March 12-13-14 (South by Southeast) ~ Mississippi, Alabama, Louisisana
   Part Four ~ March 15-16(South by Southwest)Texas, New Mexico

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2014, 02:10:47 PM »
Oh yes, I did see that in the heading, thank you. What I could not figure out, being behind,  and thinking these chunks were a hundred or so pages each was where you were exactly,  Missisippi,  Alabama, and Louisiana to me  cover a good bit of territory.

Now I see it's only 36 pages, I expect that won't be an issue.

I was referring to the splendid photos in Frybabe's link to the Blue Highways Revisited book which I have ordered, the photos are very evocative.

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

Frybabe

« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2014, 02:41:24 PM »
I had hoped the library had Blue Highways Revisited, but it doesn't. I would have loved to do both books at the same time.

Right now, I am just done with the gumbo and about ready to hit the road again. The dialect was difficult to understand in spots.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2014, 04:53:12 PM »
Frybabe,   I was able to order Revisited just now and my library has 8 copies with only 1 available.  Hmmm, I wonder if those 7 copies are being read by one of our library's book disscusion groups.  Wish you lived near here, I could get you a copy and send it over.  But that is probably not such a good idea.  I'm thinking that I also want my own copy so will look in 2nd hand book sites here online.

Ginny, As JoanP says, its great to have you on board!! I agree with your statements above.  I truly want to reread this book and Revisited together.  I might look to see if I can get a used BH's in hard copy.  What I really need are more books to store on my TBR stack, which is already pilled up to the ceiling.  But what the heck, what else do I have to do???   :D :D   And like you, I want to read slowy and think about it more.  BUUUUUUT!!!  We do have to continue  driving along his route, at his speed(50mph?, traveling only from 8am to 5pm,  he's only traveling 45 mile a day) and try to do so in 31 days.  

CallieOK

« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2014, 05:36:23 PM »
Joan, several posts back, you asked if Least-Moon went through Oklahoma and if I could "channel" the Natchez Trace Parkway.

Least-Moon's route across Texas was about 115 miles south of the Oklahoma border.

The best I could do with "The Trace" was a satellite picture that, unfortunately, covered the roadway with a purple line.  I don't have any addresses along the way to use for "street views".

I don't know if anyone else is from the west/southwest part of the country - but I'll be very interested in your comments about his travels through Texas.

I agree with his comments about where the West begins - and the main differences between West and East.

I mapped his route across Texas but the link to Map Quest won't open to that page.  He traveled more than 900 miles from Carthage, TX to the first town he mentions in New Mexico.

As a comparison, the 900 miles he'd traveled before he entered Texas covered four states ( part of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana).

salan

« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2014, 07:07:19 PM »
Frybaby, I lost my reply button, also.  I wonder why??  Anyway, I've had to stop for road construction (had to finish my taxes & take info to CPA) and now I am on a detour (need to finish my ftf book club book.  I am enjoying the journey and can't wait to get back on track.
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2014, 09:23:38 PM »
Ginny - I enjoyed reading the link on the Glen Springs Hotel.  I've never been to a spa, or experienced the healing water of natural springs.  Came close once in Glenwood Springs in CO - but had no bathing suit on that trip.  
I was about to suggest we all gather there - until I read to the end of the article to see that the hotel burned down to the ground in the 40's.  Too bad!

Least Heat Moon wrote of the natural springs and artesian wells in SC. Are they everywhere? Sweet water, I think he called it...

Sally, sorry about the glitch earlier - where are you on the road?  Back in the  Trappist Retreat House, enjoying the natural springs, on the Natchez Trace...or way up front in Texas, keeping Callie & Frybabe company?  

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2014, 09:40:36 PM »
Least Heat Moon wrote of the "sad history" of the Choctaw, forced to leave Mississippi forever..."sad, not because of the influx of settlers - after all, Indians had encroached upon each other for thousands of years. It's a sad history because of the shabby way the new people dealt with tribal Americans."

So, when he reached Selma, and listened to James Walker and Charles Davis, his attention shifts to the current problems of the oppressed minorities?  Does it sound as if he has not experienced - or witnessed racial prejudice back in Columbia, MO?  Did he think the marches thirteen years ago had changed things in the South before he got there - and learned differently? And now is saddened to learn that nothing had changed?

Fry - you've had enough of the good times - and  the Cajuns in Louisiana?  I sensed that underneath all those good times, they were making the best of a bad situation since their means of earning a living had been taken from them when Army Corps of Engineers ruined the bayou-fishing.  I wonder how they are doing today?  How are they living - Have their numbers  diminished?    Reminds me of how the Indians were displaced from their hunting grounds. Can't see Cajuns moving elsewhere, can you?  

Just found this -
"Over the years, many Cajuns and Creoles also migrated to the Beaumont and Port Arthur area of Southeast Texas, in especially large numbers as they followed oil-related jobs in the 1970s and 1980s, when oil companies moved jobs from Louisiana to Texas. However, the city of Lafayette is referred to as "The Heart of Acadiana" because of its location, and it is a major center of Cajun-Creole culture.

Looks like we could be following them into Texas, Fry!  Maybe we'll find more mouth-watering  gumbo in Texas?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2014, 06:27:02 PM »
Look...this is from an interview with LHM - he's talking about  Barbara Pierre from St. Martinsville! I loved this strong woman...

"Least Heat-Moon: I guess it's been three years since I've talked with her, but Barbara Pierre is still in St. Martinville. She's not been able to get back and complete her formal college education. She's still fighting the battles of racism in that little town, still suffering from it, still, quite apparently, scarred by these fights and battles, but still not giving in.
DB: When you met her the first time, did you have a sense that she was somehow further along her road than you were yours? That she had gone out and come back and made her peace with other people.
Least Heat-Moon: Yes, she had. She was another instructor for me on the trip, even though she was slightly younger than I was. She had been to where I was headed. She had gone out and come back. She'd been up north, to Norristown, Pennsylvania, suffered there, and then she came back home and decided to fight it out. I understand it even more now than I did then-after working onPrairyErth and really getting to know people in a small town, how difficult it is, day after day, to fight those battles. It's one thing to fight with strangers, it's another thing to fight with your neighbors. By fighting, I'm not talking about physically fighting, I'm talking about, "We don't see eye to eye on this, so we're going to have to live with these tensions, our separate views."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2014, 07:49:08 PM »
That's very interesting. I loved her too. Does "Blue Highways Revisited" talk about her later life?

People like me who were "given" the opportunity for an education forget how rare that is in the world.

She has discovered the library, and has to fight for even this opportunity. With all the complaints I often have about our Public Libraries, I would fight to keep them available to all people!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2014, 08:38:05 PM »
JoanK- I read that when the Blue Highways Revisited author tried to locate Barbara Pierre when in St. Martinsville, two women in a convenience store told him she died in 2004.  That's all he wrote...

I wonder if anyone ever tried to contact her daughter when on these return visits.  Remember how determined Barbara was to get an education for this little girl?  I'll bet she did.  About how old do you think she would she be now?

CallieOK

« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2014, 12:10:15 AM »
"Blue Highways Revisited" is available in my local library.  As soon as I have an opportunity to get there, I plan to check it out.

JoanP,  I've "stopped" in the Texas Hill Country near Fredricksburg (one of my favorite areas) to wait for everyone to catch up.  :D

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2014, 06:49:06 AM »
On the way to Texas this morning - determined to catch up with you, Callie! I understand that some are still enjoying the $4.50 special back at Swamp Guinea's Fish Lodge in North Georgia.  (Do you believe for a minute the name means absolutely nothing?).

Please feel free to comment on anything at all from these earlier chapters.  We're covering quite a bit of territory - without hearing from you!  Should we be worried about you?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2014, 07:05:57 AM »
Where have you always considered the dividing line between East and West?  Where Heat Moon crosses the Brazos River into Texas is quite a dramatic change in scenery!  I've  never driven this route west, never visited this part of the country.  Will admit the openness, the emptiness makes me uncomfortable.  It would frighten me to be driving alone into the desert and the Texas hills.  Maybe it's because it is unfamiliar territory - a fear of the unknown?

What makes this one of your favorite areas, Callie?

nlhome

« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2014, 09:08:57 AM »
The one thing that stands out for me from our discussion so far is that we all live in areas where there is fascinating history and character and nature available off the 4-lane, and many times we have often been unaware or just don't appreciate it. Sometimes just sitting in a local restaurant during tourist season is an education for me, listening to and sometimes participating in conversations about what people are looking for or looking at. And on a good day, I can head out and find new things close to home, things that move my thoughts in a different direction. Perspective changes, even on a short quest, sometimes.

CallieOK

« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2014, 12:06:43 PM »
JoanP, thank you for the concern but there's no need to worry about me.   I've been busy with things "in the real world" and haven't had time to do much "exploring" of the country through which our author is traveling.

I did think I should back off a bit with the links and maps because I sense that most of the participants are concentrating on the socio-economic aspects of his travels.  I don't do as well with that kind of conversation as I do with the geographical/historical aspects.

You mentioned not feeling comfortable in wide open spaces.  Although I've traveled extensively - both in the USA and Europe,  I've lived all of my life in the Oklahoma/Texas panhandle/Colorado area.  So I feel claustrophobic in big cities where the buildings are very close together. 
I don't think I could ever happily live in, for instance, an apartment in an Eastern metropolitan area.

The "Hill Country" of Texas (where Fredricksburg is) is a beautiful wooded area with rivers and lakes.  I took my granddaughter to an Intergenerational Elderhostel in that area.  I love the .

Browse the links in this web site to get an idea of the area.  http://www.visitfredericksburgtx.com/ and this lengthy article about the German settlement there  http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hff03

The eastern part of Texas/Oklahoma and western part of Arkansas/Missouri are heavily wooded and humid.  I-35 is approximately the dividing line between that kind of physical geography and what most people think of as "the West".

More later.....

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2014, 05:35:14 PM »
I take back what I said about LHM not being interested in nature. he gives a correct species name for every bird he mentions. (almost unheard of in writing). I seem to remember that he took along a Peterson field guide to birds. As a birder, I love to think of him stopping to look up the name of birds he saw (presumably, if he couldn't find it, he didn't mention it).

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2014, 05:37:49 PM »
Funny, mentioning getting claustrophobic in cities. I get claustrophobic in wide open areas. There's probably a different name for it, but it's a similar feeling.