Author Topic: Last Dickens, The ~ Matthew Pearl ~ October Book Club Online  (Read 63726 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Last Dickens, The ~ Matthew Pearl ~ October Book Cub Online
« Reply #120 on: October 07, 2009, 05:16:25 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Click register at the top of the page to create a username and password so that you can post messages in the discussions here on SeniorLearn.

Welcome! Everyone is invited!  

We are happy to announce that the author, Matthew Pearl, is joining us in the discussion of his  latest novel, "The Last Dickens," as he did with his "Poe Story"  and "The Dante Club.

Matthew's literary fiction picks up where Dickens left off in "The Mystery of Edwin Drood."  The story of the fate of Edwin Drood is a mystery within a mystery. When young Edwin disappears after dinner on Christmas Eve and his watch and chain are later found in the nearby river, everyone suspects foul play. Could one of Edwin’s acquaintances have murdered him – and, if so, what could their motive be?  Tragically, the mystery is destined never to be truly solved, as Dickens died before he could finish this novel – all that is left are the clues that can be found in the completed chapters.

Pearl  sends a partner of Dickens’ American publisher, James Osgood, to the Dickens' estate in England where we meet the "fugitives"  from the characters of Dickens' novel.  Is Edwin Drood dead or alive? Was he killed by his uncle, John Jasper? Or did he somehow escape that fate, possibly to return later?  We are anticipating more intrigue as Pearl's fictional characters search for answers in the author's well-researched fiction.

Chapter discussion schedule

October 1-6:     First Installment ~ Chapters 1-10 ~ June, 1870
*October 7-10:   Second Installment ~  Chapters 11-17 ~ November, 1867
October 11-13:  Third Installment ~  Chapters  18-22
October 14-16:  Fourth Installment ~ Chapters 23-26
October 17-28: Fifth Installment ~ Chapters 27-37
October 29-31: Sixth Installment ~ Chapter 40

Discussion Leaders: JoanP, Andy

Some topics for discussion  Oct. 7-10 : Chapters 11-17, November, 1867:

1.  Can you recall another author creating such rock star excitement as Dickens did in his American tour in 1867?  Why was he here?  Was this a book tour?

2.  Have you ever read Dickens' Nicholas Nickleby? Did you notice William Thackery's rhyme on Nickleby at the start of the Second Installment?  Why do you think it was placed here?

3.  Do you have any idea why Dickens receive such negative press, yet the public's adulation?

4.  Did you notice that screw in Dickens'  walking stick?  Do you think  it was common at this time to use walking sticks as weapons, or for protection?

5.  Those Bookaneers again!  Who were they?  Did they really exist?  Do you suspect the man described as George Washington was one of them?

6.  Is Tom Branagan correct in warning the police to keep the female stalker away from Dickens, or do you think she's harmless?  Did you notice something about the description of her eyes?

7.  Why do you think  the subject of mesmerism was  brought up and then quickly dropped as the train jolted?  Have you ever been hypnotized?  How had the train wreck at Staplehurst in 1865 affected Dickens?  Do you expect to hear more of mesmerism - and Staplehurst in upcoming chapters?

8. Are you familiar with the terms, "incubus"  and "succubus"?  The stalking woman refers to herself as an incubus. Why is this so odd? Do you think it is ominous?  

9. What has happened to Dickens'  diary?  Could the incubus have learned anything of importance while she had it?

10.  Do you think the incident with the lighting in the Tremont Temple was an accident?  If not, who do you think would want to harm Dickens?

Related Links : SeniorLearn's Q & A with Author, Matthew Pearl; 19th century Boston publishing houses ; check out Mr. Osgood here; James R. Osgood Co. closes,  May, 1885 - NY Times ,   Listen to Matthew's Interview at the Parker House in Boston;

Some Recent Questions for Matthew:http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/lastdickens/lastdickens_q_a.html

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2009, 05:17:21 PM »
I was just guessing about the betel nuts.  It seemed the obvious explanation for red teeth in a man from India or thereabouts.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2009, 05:33:49 PM »
Oh, I think it was a fine guess explaining those red lips, PatH!  Other than the obvious, that the man is a demon, a vampire.  ;D)  I just can't figure out how the ivory toothpick doesn't stain too.

Sheila, I'm convinced  Herman had to have an accomplice on board the ship - there's no other explanation how he could have broken all those chains - and then climbed out of the ship's hold - unassisted.  (Unless of course, you consider the obvious - that he has superhuman powers. ;D)

Were you surprised that the Second Installment did not follow Mr. Osgood and his bookkeeper to England.. I'm trying to figure out why our author took us back in time.  There had to be a reason, don't you think?  But what?  Did something happen in Boston, in Baltimore or in New York that would affect the story three years later?

And what of Herman?  You don't suppose he was a Bookaneer, do you?  Can anyone remember if that fellow dressed as George Washington was tall?
Maryal, I'm going to come back and listen to Matthew on NPR - is he talking about the Bookaneers?

I doubt Mark Twain caused such a commotion when he gave readings - maybe because he was an American.  Did his readers love him - was he celebrated during his lifetime?  I think it's amusing that the people seem to love Dickens -yet he seems in a constant state of irritation with their presence.  Do you sense that?

Deems

« Reply #123 on: October 07, 2009, 05:37:36 PM »
Sheila--I have no idea how Herman (or whoever he is) escaped, but I'm sure we'll find out.  Maybe he's a contortionist?  Maybe he bit off the rat's head and pretended to be choking on it?  Then whoever the guard is comes and he conks him on the head, gets the Key and escapes.  But where would he go in the middle of the ocean?

JoanP--Yes, the interview is about five minutes and he does talk about bookaneers.  I just listened to it.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2009, 05:49:38 PM »
Without looking it up, my memory is that Mark Twain's theatrical evenings were extremely popular.  And of course, Hal Holbrook has mad a career by repeating them.  (Holbrook does other things, to, but his Mark Twain has lasted for many decades.)

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2009, 06:48:27 PM »
JOANP asks if we know of other incidents that may have created such long llines and such excitement as Dickens did in 1867.

And it was November?  Football time in America?

As I read about the cold and the rowdy lines forming and the ticket speculators who would buy up seats and resell them, why, it takes place in Columbus, Ohio whenever the Buckeyes (OSU) play at home.  All of it!

DEEMS mentioned the Beetles.  Yes, I remember that excitement also and if we go back in our own times, we could say Frank Sinatra, maybe?

Entertainers!  Dickens was an entertainer???  An author created such entertainment?

And he stayed at the Parker House, which is still there in Boston, look how lovely it is:

http://www.bing.com/local/default.aspx?what=Parker+House&where=Boston%2c+MA&s_cid=ansPhBkYp01&mkt=en-us&ac=false&q=Parker%20House,%20Boston,%20MA

"I swore to myself never to return to America again.  There can only be bad things from coming here."

I must laugh.  Hasn't it always been thus?  America, greedy, materialistic America, how they all hated us but loved our money, didn't they?  Dickens among them!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2009, 09:04:10 PM »
Although he had good manners towards his admirers, he was certainly cynical when it came to the Americans et al.  Talk about greedy, Ella, if our author is true to the personality of the Chief, he was very happy to entertain large crowds as long as they paid big bucks to see and hear him.  What did he tell Dolby about wiring the money taken in,  "Remember that its $7 to a pound!"

Speaking of wiring and ships cargo, I wonder why they didn't wire the installment instead of sending it on a ship?  Probably was very expensive.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2009, 09:19:51 PM »
Speaking of wiring and ships cargo, I wonder why they didn't wire the installment instead of sending it on a ship?  Probably was very expensive.[/color][/b]
It would have taken forever.  Messages were in Morse code, and the transmission speed was slow.  The Wikipedia article linked in post 70 said that in 1866 transmission speed was 8 words per minute, and it wasn't until the 20th century that they got up to 120 words per minute.  Maybe it was more than 8 wpm by 1870, but I bet not much.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2009, 09:43:29 PM »
Before we get totally immersed in the current installment, there are 2 things I'm going to keep in the back of my mind.  Daniel went to the docks in the morning and picked up the manuscript.  He then hid it under a barrel, reappearing some time later, quite disoriented, retrieved it, and doggedly tried to get it to the publishing house.  Why did he hide it, and what happened next?  He could have hidden it to go off to get an opium fix, but since he doesn't seem to have been an addict, more likely he saw some danger, and hid it before his enemies could get it.  He was then caught, and given opium.  What danger?

The second thing: what did Daniel actually say to Bendall before he died?  Bendall takes the precaution of hiding the papers on his person constantly.  Was this because of what Daniel said?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2009, 10:29:02 PM »
I think you're right, Pat. I too think that Daniel saw some danger so that is why he hid the papers. It seems he was looking around after he got the papers to see if someone was following him to steal the papers. I think that theft of the papers was the danger.

I don't think that Bendall kept the papers on him because he was worried. When his house was broken into, he didn't put it together with the fact that he had the papers. I think he just wanted the celebrated writings of Dickens near him. But I do think that Daniel was trying to tell him something. I don't know how to figure out what it was.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2009, 10:39:26 PM »
Annie, even though Dickens came to America to make money on his reading tour, he asked that the tickets not cost more than $1 so most everyone could afford a ticket. The book indicates he could have made more and could have reduced the number of scalpers if he charged more per ticket.

I can't find the place right now but somewhere it says that the speculators buying up the tickets cut into the profit. I'm not sure I understand why that would be so. A ticket sale is a ticket sale, is it not?

matthewpearl

« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2009, 10:44:12 AM »
Apologies--a family wedding this week and lots of relatives in town, so I've had no time in front of the computer. Store up those questions and I'll be back in action hopefully tomorrow!

Deems

« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2009, 11:04:01 AM »

Pat H--I went back and reread the dock scene (chapter 2).  Daniel manages to get away from Herman.  On page 10 (pbk) he says to Herman of the papers, "Osgood needs it."  Daniel gets away from Herman by tearing his sleeve loose.  Molasses later goes to the barrel where he thinks Daniel hid the manuscript, but it is not there.  Implication is that Daniel had the papers with him the whole time.  When Sylvanus Bendall kneels above the dying Daniel, he hears a few words, which he later tells Osgood were "It is God's. . ."

But Daniel must have said roughly the same thing he did to Herman as he struggled with him, "It is Osgood's" which Bendall misinterpreted.  Later, just before Bendall runs after Herman (big mistake!) he thinks to himself that what Daniel was trying to say was "It is God's vengeance."  Red herring, I think.

The dock scene is very confusing because there are so many people and everything happens so quickly.

Well done, Matthew, you made me reread it!

Deems

« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2009, 11:06:46 AM »

Drat, I just missed Matthew.  Hope the wedding and family were a good break for you!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2009, 12:03:38 PM »
How nice to celebrate a family wedding, Matthew.

Deems, I think you are on to something with the misinterpretation by Bendall of Daniel's last words. "Osgood" makes sense.

I think that the reason that Molasses doesn't find the papers under the barrel is because Daniel already got them. At the beginning of Chapter 2, just when Herman comes onto the dock and asks about a "lad", there is a description of the young man the dockworkers saw minutes before. "Steadying  himself with a self-conscious air, he had removed a bundle of papers tied up with black string from underneath the barrel..."

mrssherlock

« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2009, 01:25:10 PM »
Why did Matthew flash back to Dickens' American tour?  The reason will be revealed in time I'm sure but there are three points that struck me.  First was the adulation Americans felt for Dickens.  The subtle nuances of the copyright law would have had little interest to most but the reality of THE MAN in person, ah that is self evident.  Second we meet Tom Branagan.  Can't tell yet if he is a pivotal character but much detail in included to make him known to the reader.  Last, and most mysterious to me, is the depiction of Mrs Barton.  Seems to be short a few bricks.  I'm going to make a list of all the characters we've met so far and keep track of their appearances.  Whoops, there i go again, organizing and analyzing the data. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2009, 03:06:26 PM »
Yes, Jackie, Mrs. Barton seems rather nutty; I doubt she's in there just for local color.  Either there's some method to her madness, or her actions impact the plot.

I'm assuming that the foundation for what happens in 1870 is partly laid down during the American tour.  We'll probably get more of it later.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2009, 03:38:36 PM »
MATTHEW: Happy birthday. And HAPPY PUBLISHING DAY!! That must feel wonderful! To see all the new books in the store. Do you sneak in to look at them?

So Osgood published William Dean Howells and Mark Twain!! Those two have always fascinated me!!! Howells, as I understand it, was very important to Twain's early career, recognizing his talent and publishing him. And yet you couldn't find two writers whose works are more different. Howells, the efete New Englander, whose characters find eating a grapefruit too animal-like and primitive for them. And the raw Twain!!

They illustrate for me one of the most interesting characteristics of the culture of the period: the contrast and clash between the English-imitating sophisticated New England culture, and the more Western raw culture. Intellectuals like Henry James and Dean Howells (who is a kind of Henry James without the genius) couldn't have stood that culture for an instant, but they romanticized it, as Howells did Twain.

ALF43

« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2009, 03:54:18 PM »
AHA, Jackie I think that you hit the nail right on the head.
The subtle nuances of the copyright law would have had little interest to most but the reality of THE MAN in person, ah that is self evident.

I feel sorry for him.  He's a world reknown author BUT values his privacy (remember how the New York World article included his room # at the hotel where he was staying.)  Cartoons mocked him and reminded his readers that he was estranged from his wife while off entertaining young maidens. 8) Imagine thousands of people knowing your business!  YUK :-X

The Tremont Temple interested me, as it's claim is that it's the first integrated church in America.  Is this true Matt?   Here's a picture of where Chas. Dickens had his first public reading in Boston.
check this out.

and here, look at this is the history of this building that housed Dickens first reading attendees.
here they are

Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

ALF43

« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2009, 04:01:14 PM »
Deems- brilliant deduction there with the final words that Daniel uttered.  Yes, that makes perfect sense.

Mrs. Barton is nuts! I will love to hear all of your comments about her, folks. 

Matthew- you work so hard, enjoy your family day.  When I was in B & N today, I noticed you strewn about in many places.  Good for you!  Your Poe's Shadow was on a "included with a readers guide" table for Group Discussions.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2009, 04:29:41 PM »
We'll be looking for you, Matthew.  I'm sure we'll have  more questions for you then -  Thanks for thinking of us during your family celebration.

Ella - yes!  That's it! Dickens, the entertainer! Not a shy, retiring introvert of an author. -  We read of his "dramatic renditions of characters that made each one come alive - "each had his own voice, manner and soul"  I get the feeling that Dickens was amusing himself, more than he was attempting to entertain his audience.
Ella, the old Parker House was the "in" place to stay in Bostonf at that time, but was demolished and rebuilt in 1920.  They still serve those famous "Parker House rolls though...Bruce stayed there on business some years ago - said it was "tired."  I love reading its history though -

Opened in 1855 by Harvey D. Parker and located on School Street near the corner of Tremont, not far from the seat of the Massachusetts state government, it has long been a frequent rendezvous for politicians.
The hotel was home to the Saturday Club, also referred to as the Saturday Night Club, which consisted of literary dignitaries such as Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
John Wilkes Booth was also once a guest at the hotel.

20th century
The original Parker House and later additions were demolished in the 1920s and replaced with an entirely new building. One wing of the original hotel remained open until the new building was completed in 1927.
As the longest continuously operating hotel in the United States, many well-known people have worked at the Parker House, including Ho Chi Minh who was a baker in the bakeshop from 1911 to 1913, Malcolm X who was a busboy in the early 1940s, and Emeril Lagasse.

Matthew writes - "his reading public has been allowed to know Dickens not only as an author, but a man with a voice, mannerisms, facial expressions."  I don't think that many authors let the public get so close, do you?  Maybe this explains his rock star status as his fans break into his hotel room to  steal his pillow!

I'm wondering why the newspapers, the cartoons etc. are attacking Dickens, while the public adores him?  Does that make sense to you?
Marcie, I don't see why the speculators' greed should cut into Dickens' profit - though the speculators stood to profit a great deal - especially after Dickens ordered all tickets go for $1.00.  Imagine what they could sell those tickets for when these performances sold out - which they did!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2009, 05:09:40 PM »
PatH, I agree with you.
 "The foundation for what happens in 1870 is partly laid down during the American tour."

What do you think it is?  Daniel Sand is working  for Fields and Osgood  in 1867- he's the one who suggested they put out paperback copies of  Dickens' tour performances.  Did you notice Rebecca glowing with pride as Osgood compliments him? Oh, and those Bookaneers were following the tour stops - We'll see them again on the dock in Boston in 1870:
"The swarthy stranger hadn't been the only one out hunting...on the docks that morning.  There were, two or three others...familiar faces on the docks, many mornings out before the stevedores. "  These were the Bookaneers.
  "Right in front of Molasses eyes was hidden what he wanted...he had seen the young man in the suit hide it - earlier in the morning. " "There was a whaler of  a fellow following the young man."
 Says Esquire, another of the Bookaneers - "Oh I saw him earlier..."  The key word is earlier.  Daniel had been spotted earlier in the morning by the Bookaneers.  They'd also spotted the swarthy stranger.
The question remains - where had Daniel been since early morning to the time of the omnibus incident in the heat of the day? I think we all suspect Herman of injecting D. with an opiate...but where?
Here's a question for you - Do you think the "swarthy stranger" - the one we call Herman - is somewhere in this crowd in Boston in 1867?

Do you all  think as Andy does, that Mrs. Barton is "nuts" - disturbed?   I'm wondering about that description of her eyes when Tom first notices her staring at him  - "Eyes cold and clear but dim".  What does this mean?  
 Whatever is going on with her, I feel fairly certain that we'll hear more about her.  Do you think she could have learned anything of importance in Dickens diary that she lifted from his hotel room?

Deems

« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2009, 05:21:03 PM »

Thanks, Marcie, I missed the part about Daniel hiding the papers.  I guess I should have reread the beginning even more carefully.  Sheepish grin.  

I'm so happy that other people have brought up Mrs. Barton because I have a theory on who she is.  I haven't read beyond the assigned reading, just guessing here.

What with all the other famous real-life people, like Osgood and Harper and the various authors, I think that we have just met Clara Barton, Civil War nurse and founder of the Red Cross.  When Dickens comes to America, the Civil War has only been over for two years.  

Clara Barton, if it is she, is described as being a woman "about forty."  I looked her up in Wikipedia and she was in her mid-forties in 1867, but hey, that's really close.  In addition, she had some sort of breakdown after the Civil War and went to Europe to recover.  I obviously should have read the article more carefully.

That's my guess, Clara Barton.  Probably we will find out later--I hope.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2009, 05:52:30 PM »
The press does not change with the years and if there is a hint of a scandal attached to a famous person, the press willl "out" it; true today, yesterday and always.

Dickens does not want the press too close does he?  He is married, father of eight children and not living with his wife?  He gives parties to which any number of females are invited, so one article entitled "Dickensiana" disclosed.  Another cartoon mocked his language, his cockney origins. 

But there is good in Charles Dickens.  He provided special seating for a woman in a wheelchair and "hating the notion of the wealthier being able to buy a better view" he refused to allow the cost of the tickets to be raised above a democratic one dollar, "even if it might have inhibited speculation to have done so."

"Exact equality for my hearers, he said."

DEEMS, I think you have hit on what poor Daniel Sands was attempting to say while he lay dying under the wheels of that carriage.  Good for you!  Will Matthew Pearl acknowledge that??

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2009, 06:10:16 PM »
Ella, let's ask him!  I'm going to guess that he'll say to wait for the answer in later chapters though.

Maryal - as good a guess as any - especially since Clara had a breakdown of sorts at the end.   BUT Clara Barton never married if memory serves.  The policeman who recognizes the "lady"  calls her Mrs. Barton...very sorry Mrs. Barton," he says as he allows her to keep her pistol in her carpetbag - for protection.  She must be "somebody."

We all seem to feel she is "disturbed" - but do you think she's dangerous - as Tom Branagan fears?
Do you think we'll hear more of her in coming chapters?

Deems

« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2009, 07:44:51 PM »
Joan P--Yes, the "Mrs." bothered me too.  Here's my reasoning:  it was a title of respect due her because of all she had done for the soldiers and her country.  Not tremendously convincing, I know, but the best I could come up with when I decided that she must be Clara Barton.  (Of course she doesn't have to be Clara at all.  She could easily be someone else.  Or maybe Matthew made her up?)

Ella--Ah yes, the press hasn't changed at all, has it?  Any bit of gossip about anyone famous, true or not, is immediately eaten up and spread around as fast as possible.  Dickens' readers wanted to see him as the author of hearth and home, and they were discouraged when he turned out to be a human being after all.  He really was lionized in his time.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2009, 07:14:50 AM »
I have read up to the entourage going to NYC and Plymouth Church.   Here's a link to that church and a link to the map showing its location.
http://www.plymouthchurch.org/

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&q=NYC+Plymouth+Church&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Plymouth+Church+of+The+Pilgrims,+Brooklyn,+NY+11201&gl=us&ei=EhnPSqegDejj8AbnmfmABA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1

I don't know if this is the Dicken's party's Plymouth Church but I will do more research.  This one seems to out in Brooklyn so it might not be.  Reading on!!
Yes, yes, yes!!!!  Dickens did speak in this church.  Read the history of Henry Ward Beecher's  Plymouth Church, where many spoke.  According to this history, the church held 2800, so I am assuming that Dickens spoke 4 times, since they had prepared 10,000 tickets for the NYC audience.
http://www.plymouthchurch.org/our_history.php
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2009, 08:53:46 AM »
Being the cynic that I am, I just had to challenge the train returning to Boston and its voyage on the ferry to cross certain rivers.  But, in this article, I found that it was true!!  What a surprise!
http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?a=1380&Q=259692

In the article's own words, way down that page link:  I read this:

"Rail lines along the coast opened between New London and New Haven in 1850, and between New London and Stonington in 1858. The trains still had to use a ferry to cross the Thames River until a drawbridge was completed in 1889." ConDOT; 1 Chapter DOT History

This must have been quite a sight to see and experience.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2009, 09:35:55 AM »
Great links, Annie!  Don't you love the blend of fact and fiction here?  Reading of these old hotels, churches, and theaters lends so much to the story - to the sense of place and time.  I'll bet Matthew visited every one of them as part of his research to make his story come alive for us.

I was interested in your links to the train ferry too!  What an experience!   Dickens didn't really enjoy it though.
Can you find anything on that Staplehurst train wreck in 1865 in England?  It seems to have had a traumatic effect on him. Did you notice that he was travelling with Ellen Ternan - and her mother?  Her mother?  

matthewpearl

« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2009, 09:45:45 AM »
Hi everyone.

Here is another guest post I've written, this one about the secret world of 19th century publishing and literary pirates as portrayed in The Last Dickens.

No spoilers--although as I've said before if you're trying to steer clear of external material, you might want to skip it.

The post is at ReadingGroupGuides.com, an "online community for reading groups". If you're not familiar with it, take a look around their site if you go to read my post. Check out the post here.

matthewpearl

« Reply #150 on: October 09, 2009, 10:10:39 AM »
Thanks for all the birthday wishes!

Lots of the great discussion here I can't chime in on without spoiling things to come--for instance, all the Herman stuff--so I'll zip my lip!

About Osgood. I'll say this: if I made up a character named Osgood (OsGOOD) as my hero, I'd be accused of being too Dickensian. Glad he really existed!

Deems, glad you're seeing links with The Mystery of Edwin Drood. As I say, I wrote the novel being careful that anyone could read it--not just readers of MED. HOWEVER, I also hoped readers of MED would catch on to small details if they chose. Also, re: the Bookaneers. As you'll see in the post I link to above, the "job" (so to speak) was real, although I did apply the term to them. I did not invent the term Bookaneers though--it was used in the 19th century about literary pirates, generally.

On to some questions kindly pulled out by Joan:

"1.Did your research take you to the hotels, churches, theaters mentioned in your book, or did you rely on the Internet? (It feels as if you actually visited these sites.)"

Oh, never rely on the internet! It is becoming more and more a good starting point for research, but nothing substitutes for getting out there when it comes to seeing the sites. You'll read lots about the Parker House in Boston, where Dickens. This was mentioned earlier, but I gave an NPR show a tour of the Parker House vis a vis my novel. I can't swear there are no spoilers that *they* put in (I wouldn't ever say anything to give away a part of the plot), because I can't listen to my own voice. Maybe someone who has read ahead can listen and tell us if it's spoiler-free.

Scroll down on this page for the interview.

"2.Did you know that the Tremont Temple was the first integrated church in America. Could this be the reason Dickens chose the site for his first public reading in Boston?"

Dickens's manager Dolby, whom you're all meeting in the Second Installment, chose Tremont Temple after being showed some other choices, because he liked the seating arrangements. But who knows, Dickens certainly would have enjoyed hearing its history, which I'm sure he did since he did lots of readings there.

If any of you ever visit Boston, stop by the Parker House and check out the mirror they have from Dickens's room!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #151 on: October 09, 2009, 11:23:28 AM »
Hi Matthew,
I see your posts aren't giving anything away as we traverse this most interesting book.  What I want to ask is why you went back to Dicken's trip earlier in the 1800's?  Is there a clue here that I am not seeing??? or is this part just adding more to the story of Dicken's when he was in the U.S.
He is certainly a most interesting man when he does his readings along with voices for each part.  Sounds like my favorite one man show by Hal Holbrook doing Mark Twain.  It is the most entertaining of one man shows.

JoanP. ask and you shall receive!  Here's the story of the Staplehurst train wreck.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staplehurst_rail_crash

And here is the story of Ellen Ternan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellen_Ternan

matthewpearl

« Reply #152 on: October 09, 2009, 11:46:39 AM »
Hi Matthew,
I see your posts aren't giving anything away as we traverse this most interesting book.  What I want to ask is why you went back to Dicken's trip earlier in the 1800's?

Hi Annie, I'm afraid if I answer this, it too might be giving something away! But please remember any such questions later we can add them to the mix... Thanks for being part of the discussion!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: October 09, 2009, 12:02:08 PM »
In addition to developing the plot and introducing and providing more information about characters, the device of switching back and forth in time between various chapters makes the book richer and more interesting to read. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the informative links, Annie. I was wondering about the train ferry. It must have been a huge task uncouple the train cars and get all of the cars on the rails on the ferry. There is a graphic of a train ferry here: http://www.igg.org.uk/gansg/12-linind/docks/trainferry1.jpg

The article about the Staplehurst accident says that it's possible that the post-traumatic stress may have contributed to Dickens death by stroke five years later. He was  fearless and helpful to the other victims at the time of the accident but it seems to have clouded the rest of his life.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: October 09, 2009, 12:09:32 PM »
Thanks, Matthew, for your link to your article about literary bounty hunters. I love the way you brought them to life in your descriptions of Molasses, Kitten, et al in your book.  And those stenographers who wrote down every word of Dicken's performances during his tour reminded me of court reporters today, although the Dicken's scribes did it all by hand!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2009, 12:21:45 PM »
I just finished listening to the Here & Now interview at http://www.hereandnow.org/2009/06/rundown-61/ (Click Listen under Matthew Pearl near the bottom of the left column). It didn't give away any information that we haven't read in the first two sections of the book. It was great to hear your voice, Matthew, and to learn a little bit more detail behind the book.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #156 on: October 09, 2009, 12:45:13 PM »
Being a nonfiction reader most of the time, I am, at times, apt to believe that all this is true; whereas, some may be, some not.  

I apologize for using the Internet, but I had to know.  Dickens made two trips to America but that is all I want to say about what I read in several articles.  I believe someone mentioned that they had read or wanted to read his AMERICAN NOTES.

Matthew, thank you for your posts.  When I have more time I want to investigate all those clickables you have given us.  Those bookaneers must have been highly paid for what they did; where in the world did their employers find men who could speak several languages, who were very intelligent and capable of recognizing from brief glances the author of a particular piece of work.

As to the identity of woman in question,  perhaps remembering that a woman had a mudprint of Dickens boot, later a switchblade, she seems to be someone who can obviously take care of herself.

Hurriedly posted, I must go.............

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2009, 02:48:50 PM »
Annie, thanks for the links to Plymouth Church.  That is one place that will be on my “to see” list on a future trip to Brooklyn.

What fun it is to read the Last Dickens and then to read more about what is written there in another source.  They blend so well, the tone melds.  It is very enjoyable.

Since a fellow Latin student found an ancient Germanic warrior in the New York Times, I thought I would see what was going on there in 1867, and there is lots.

Demand for Tickets

Reading in Boston

American Notes Revisited

It's been interesting to note that all kinds of people, from all walks of life, the tough, the gentle, the good and the bad, the rich and the poor, all want to hear Mr. Dickens read.  That would not happen today.  When you give readings, Matthew, do you anticipate a certain kind of audience?

As usual, I’m running behind in my reading, but must say, I don’t care much for Mr.  Dolby.  He’s kind of “picayune”  and he certainly does pick on Tom Branagan.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2009, 05:53:35 PM »
Oh my, there are so many new links - all serving to fill and make the period come alive - not to say that Matthew hasn't already done a remarkable job.
Even if you don't get a chance to read all of the interesting links coming in with each post, be sure to take a few minutes to Listen to Matthew's Interview at the Parker House in Boston;
  Thanks for re-posting the link, Marcie.  I've put it in the header.  You're right - it is enjoyable to hear Matthew's voice as he tells his story.
Be sure to scroll down to Matthew Pearl, and then click the word "Listen."

Matthew, thank you so much for answering our questions - when you can - with such detail.  I'm going to ask something about the Parker House - I really want to imagine Dickens in this old hotel, to think that his room is just as he left it - but then I read this.  Is the original Parker House entirely GONE?

"The original Parker House and later additions were demolished in the 1920s and replaced with an entirely new building. One wing of the original hotel remained open until the new building was completed in 1927." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omni_Parker_House

Ella, I think that there's plenty here for non-fiction lovers to love, don't you? Pedln has provided actual news articles from Boston and NY newpapers - so these events must have happened, right?  If you read it in the newspapers, it must be true! ;)  Seriously, Matthew really did his research.

I marvelled at the Bookaneers too and loved Matthew's description of the sound ...like cats scratching as they scribbled rapidly with their pencils, faster than he ever saw anyone write.  Some of them spoke three or four languages, they could take excellent shorthand one had served as a spy during the "War of Rebellion."   So that's a good question -  why would such intelligent and talented people take jobs like this - except as you say, for the pay, which must have been very, very good!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2009, 05:56:53 PM »
Annie, I knew Matthew wasn't going to give away the answer to your question about placing this second installment two and a half years before Dickens'  death.  That's up to us to figure out together, don't you think?

Jackie has brought up the subtle nuances of copyright laws which were of a concern back in 1867 and will come into play in 1870 at Dickens' death.

We've already seen the Bookaneers at Dickens'  performances - many of the same folks who were on the dock the morning Daniel was killed.  They are looking for something - They know Daniel works for Fields and Osgood - so that when he appears on the dock in 1870, they know who he works for.
 We read of the Staplehurst train wreck in Kent- and we've read  that Dickens was still traumatized by the event during this 1867 tour.

We know that the young actress, Ellen Ternan was on the Staplehurst train with Dickens - and that her mother was with them.  I don't know why I found that surprising. Thanks for the two links, Ann. " Dickens met Ellen when he was 45 and she was 18!  He cast her, along with her mother and one of her sisters, in a performance of The Frozen Deep in Manchester.  Ternan left the stage in 1860, and was supported by Dickens from then on. She sometimes travelled with him, though he abandoned a plan to take her on his visit to America in 1867 for fear that their relationship would be publicised by the American press."  Interesting, don't you think? All of these factors seem to be setting the scene for the chaos that followed Dickens' death.

What else?  Do you think we'll meet Mrs. (Clara?) Barton again?  I do.  Now work backwards - do you think that Herman has been among the crowds in Boston or New York or did he become interested in Dickens - or Osgood later in 1870?

While on the subject of Mrs. Barton - what do you think she means when she refers to herself as  an incubus.    Are you familiar with the terms, "incubus"  and "succubus"?   Why is this so odd? Do you think it is ominous?