Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2010  (Read 102765 times)

nlhome

Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2010
« Reply #200 on: July 25, 2010, 10:43:27 PM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2010 brings back favorite sleuths with new episodes. See the complete 2010 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule

NOW DISCUSSING

A Study in Pink

October 24, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Sherlock Holmes teams up with former army doctor John Watson to solve a case of serial suicides and corner a killer who has mysterious powers over his victims.

COMING

The Blind Banker

October 31, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Pursuing the case of a banker and a journalist shot dead by a ghostly assailant, Sherlock and Watson uncover an antiquities-smuggling empire.

The Great Game

November 7, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
In a gripping match of wits, Sherlock solves crimes at a dizzying pace for a mad bomber who threatens to blow up innocent people.

ALREADY DISCUSSED
List of series and episodes already discussed.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

I was able to watch this last Poirot episode tonight. I enjoyed it - read the book, but didn't really remember it that well. I read them all so long ago.

Frybabe

« Reply #201 on: July 26, 2010, 08:46:41 AM »
I enjoyed watching Appointment with Death, but didn't he do this one years ago?  Oh, no it was Peter Ustinov that did one. I answered my own question. I forgot how it ended.

I like Tim Curry and John Hannah, so was happy to see them in this production. Nanny Brown was played by Angela, daughter of Donald Pleasence. I thought she did a wonderful job.

Babi

« Reply #202 on: July 26, 2010, 08:52:02 AM »
 I saw "Appointment With Death" last night and found it most enjoyable.  Typical Poirot, of course.  I had to smile at the scene showing him sleeping.  Someone had the great idea of
displaing him rigidly neat and orderly even in sleep. 
  I also was able to pat myself on the back for spotting one give-away early on, but I'll save that
until everyone has seen the film. Wouldn't want to spoil the mystery.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #203 on: July 26, 2010, 01:40:36 PM »
I also saw it last night. The background was magnificent. It was well done, except I had trouble telling the characters apart. It wasn't until the end, when Poirot ran over each one that I knew who everyone was.

I'll bet I know which give-away you spotted.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #204 on: July 26, 2010, 02:03:23 PM »
Hey there,
I would like the FREE three Kurt Wallendar books.  Should I be emailing you my snail mail address?
I didn't like this Poirot as much as Orient Express but it was certainly beautiful to look at, wasn't it??
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #205 on: July 26, 2010, 02:05:23 PM »
I've got your snall addy, Annie - and your name on an envelope -
Anyone else?
Haven't seen the latest episode, so won't stick around while you talk about it...

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #206 on: July 26, 2010, 02:06:24 PM »
JoanP: stupid me. Of course my address has just changed. I'll send you a message with the new one.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: July 26, 2010, 04:57:52 PM »
I saw the episode too and enjoyed it. It seemed to have more suspects who actually had done "bad" unrelated things than I recall from other Poirot episodes. I also wonder if the terrible deeds of the victim were in the original story. That was awful. I had a little trouble understanding the accent of the male doctor but I love him as an actor.

Frybabe

« Reply #208 on: July 26, 2010, 05:45:33 PM »
I quite like John Hannah, too, Marcie. I've only seen him in a three other movies and maybe a few TV shows. Has anyone seen Sliding Doors with Gwyneth Paltrow? A bit quirky, but interesting.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #209 on: July 26, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
JoanK, I had the same problem, keeping the characters straight.  But I've taped it, and may go back over a few parts.

All in all, I enjoyed it, and yes, Babi, he (HP) was orderly in his sleep, wasn't he.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #210 on: July 26, 2010, 10:18:09 PM »
I did have trouble understanding what some of the characters were saying.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: July 26, 2010, 10:58:56 PM »
oh, yes, Babi and Pedln, the shot of Poirot trying to sleep with two pillows to cover his ears was quite funny. Quite an imaginative visual way to show his fastidiousness.

Babi

« Reply #212 on: July 28, 2010, 08:59:06 AM »
MARCIE, I thought the two pillows were to keep his head straight. You
know how Poirot hated to see anything out of alignment!  ;)

I suspected, early on, that the nun was not a nun.  Remember her standing on that embankment at the dig site?  She was running her beads through her hands so fast she could not possibly have been saying her prayers.  It was an act.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: July 28, 2010, 10:58:39 AM »
LOL, Babi, it could be that the pillows were aligning Poirot's head :-)

I too noticed the fast rosary beads. Since it was a short scene, I was wondering to myself if they had her move the beads so quickly in order to let the audience see that it was a rosary.

I figured out the issue with the 'name' of the one child; but I didn't figure out who it was.

Babi

« Reply #214 on: July 29, 2010, 08:16:34 AM »
 One of my complaints (few) about the Poirot mysteries is that the villains always seem to come out of left field, so to speak.  Minor characters that seem to have little to do with the story at all; not even  suspects, really. I've always felt that was not quite fair. Most annoying!
 ;D

Joan Ray

« Reply #215 on: July 31, 2010, 07:34:44 PM »
I already requested the three Henning Mankell books for the PBS series using the jonkie@verizon.net email address.  If  I really do need to request through this site, please excuse the previous order and send to:
Joan Ray
1728 Cortez Avenue
Stockton, CA 95209-2520

Thanks.  I look forward to our exchange. 

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #216 on: July 31, 2010, 07:39:07 PM »
Welcome, JoanRay. I'm glad you've joined us.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #217 on: August 01, 2010, 05:55:13 PM »
WELCOME WELCOME Joan Ray.

If you're a mystery fan, come on over to the Mystery Corner, and let us know what you're reading:http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=807.1080

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #218 on: August 01, 2010, 06:30:25 PM »
I love this!  The Joans are winning...over the Anns and the Pats.  Never in my life have I been in such elite company!
Joan Ray knows I'm not ignoring her - I responded to her email that a set of the Wallander books are reserved for her.  Still some sets left...but not for long.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #219 on: August 01, 2010, 09:16:02 PM »
Tonight, my PBS station isn't showing CAT AMONG THE PIGEONS (from last year). They are having a pledge drive and will be showing Hallelujah Broadway. I love Broadway music. Here is some info about the program:
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/141297-Hallelujah-Broadway-Featuring-Linda-Eder-Will-Be-PBS-Special-DVD-CD-Also-Planned

Frybabe

« Reply #220 on: August 02, 2010, 07:54:47 AM »
I suspect my station is in pledge mode again, too, Marcie. I don't remember what they had on, but it wasn't Poirot.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #221 on: August 02, 2010, 08:54:43 AM »
We were in pledge mode too - but they highlighted Masterpiece Mystery by showing Agatha Christie's "The  Blue Geranium."  I was quite content as I had missed that one.  I thought it was excellent, Agatha at her best.  Though I never read the book, I sensed that the production stayed true to the book...Did any one else see this one?

Babi

« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2010, 09:23:25 AM »
  I realized immediately that last night's film was not a new one; I'd seen it before.  I watched it anyway, as I particularly enjoyed some of
the characters.  The sports director was such a horrible woman, it was
only a matter of time before someone killed her.  The two girls, Julia
and Jennifer, were a special treat.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #223 on: August 02, 2010, 11:23:16 AM »
JoanP and Babi, I'm glad that you two were able to enjoy an Agatha Christie last night. I plan on watching the Cat Among the Pigeons episode online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/poirot/watch.html

I watched a DVD of the 1974 Murder on the Orient Express with Albert Finney and 12 other stars. I enjoyed it. There was also a "making of the film" documentary included on the DVD that was very interesting. Albert Finney was in his late 30s and had to be made up to look in his 50s. He was unrecognizable. Even some of the actors said that they only saw him in his make up, even on breaks,--it took so long to put on and get off--and they didn't relate to him as Albert Finney at all.

The film was nominated for six Academy Awards and one of the actors won an Oscar.

* Academy Award: Best Supporting Actress, Ingrid Bergman
    * Academy Award Nomination: Best Actor in a Leading Role, Albert Finney
    * Academy Award Nomination: Best Cinematography, Geoffrey Unsworth
    * Academy Award Nomination: Best Costume Design, Tony Walton
    * Academy Award Nomination: Best Music, Original Dramatic Score, Richard Rodney Bennett
    * Academy Award Nomination: Best Writing, Screenplay Adapted from Other Material, Paul Dehn

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: August 02, 2010, 11:49:10 AM »
Starting next Sunday, for three weeks, many PBS stations will be showing three encore presentations of episodes from the last season of Inspector Lewis. Then starting on August 29, there will be five new episodes! I can't wait to see more of the interaction between Inspector Lewis and Detective Sergeant Hathaway.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #225 on: August 02, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »
My station was doing the broadway show, too. I wonder if they're planning to do "Cat"? I'll have to check.

I had no idea Ingrid Bergmann won an academy award for that? Did she play the Swedish nursemaid? Or the Russian princess?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #226 on: August 02, 2010, 06:30:10 PM »
JoanK, Ingrid Bergman was offered the role of the Russian princess but she was adamant that she wanted to play the Swedish nursemaid. I guess she knew what she was doing!

I wasn't very interested in that Broadway show so I watched the Murder on the Orient Express DVD instead :-)

Frybabe

« Reply #227 on: August 03, 2010, 04:43:29 PM »
Although my station didn't run Poirot on Sunday, I did discover that they put up Cat Among the Pigeons on Comcast's On Demand. Sooooooo, I watched it last night.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #228 on: August 03, 2010, 10:16:17 PM »
Oh, good thinking, Frybabe. I'll have to check my On Demand.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #229 on: August 06, 2010, 11:29:13 AM »
I didn't find Cat Among the Pigeons on On Demand TV so I'll watch it online before August 15.

This Sunday, it doesn't look like my local PBS station is showing at least the first Inspector Lewis episode from last year. I can watch that online too. It will be available starting on Monday.

I'm pretty sure my PBS will show this year's new Inspector Lewis episodes at the end of this month and through September.

UPCOMING NEW MASTERPIECE PROGRAMShttp://www.internettrafficreport.com/namerica.htm
Lewis and Hathaway will be solving five new cases from  August 29 to September 26. Those should be good.

October 3-17, Kenneth Branagh will return to his Emmy and Golden Globe nominated role as the soul searching Swedish cop in Wallander.

After that, on October 24, Masterpiece is going to launch a contemporary version of Sherlock Holmes. Read more at http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/02/23/pbs-launching-new-sherlock-holmes. I'm not sure how I'll like a more contemporary version. I loved the Jeremy Brett series. But I do think that the actor cast as the new Sherlock Holmes, could do well in the part. Benedict Cumberbatch was the lead in the 2008 Masterpiece Contemporary episode, "The Last Enemy." http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lastenemy/index.html. Sometimes  previews don't give a true sense of the program but there is a short preview of the new Holmes at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/index.html.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #230 on: August 06, 2010, 11:33:34 AM »
October 3-17, Kenneth Branagh will return to his Emmy and Golden Globe nominated role as the soul searching Swedish cop in Wallander.

A quick note that we still have a few sets of the Wallander books - they should arrive for mailing in September.  I'd be sorry that I changed the order to find that some of you wanted the books, but didn't get around to requesting them...

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #231 on: August 06, 2010, 11:38:43 AM »
I thought that the last set of Wallander books that we received were great (and, last time, only $4.95 postage for all three new paperbacks). I really enjoy Mankell's writing and his character, Wallander. I thought that the books were superior to the PBS episodes. I would encourage everyone to read the books.

Babi

« Reply #232 on: August 07, 2010, 08:36:49 AM »
  MARCIE,  I have purposely avoided the Wallnder books since so many people have commented on how violent and dark they are.  I only attempted to watch one of the films,
and turned it off because I wasn't enjoying it at all.  Maybe I just don't appreciate the cold Scandinavian milieu.  I had the same reaction to another Norse author.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #233 on: August 07, 2010, 01:35:52 PM »
hmmm, Babi, I don't recall there being descriptions of violence in the books that made me cringe. If there was, I can't remember it. Maybe others can help here. Wallander is not an "upbeat" person and, in the background, there are descriptions of a society in decline. But Wallander does care about the people in each case, and works to follow up on each detail until he solves the crime. He reminds me of a working class Inspector Morse.

Frybabe

« Reply #234 on: August 07, 2010, 01:49:27 PM »
I think some of the depictions of violence were a bit nasty. Wallander is certainly a "broody" type of person. He worries greatly about the changes, as he sees them - decline, in civilized Swedish society. I suspect it reflects some of Mankell's concerns.

I was just up on his website. There are a bunch of changes and some new stuff. You all might want to take a look. I think I am going to half to book mark it since I seem to visit it quite frequently. http://www.henningmankell.com/

BTW, if I haven't mentioned it, I now have The return of the Dancing Master in my TBR pile. At some point I want to read Depths also. Has anyone read any of his African based novels?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: August 07, 2010, 01:57:35 PM »
Thanks for augmenting my memory, Frybabe.

I appreciate the link to his site. I haven't been there for a while. It does look interesting.

Frybabe

« Reply #236 on: August 07, 2010, 05:49:42 PM »
Marcie, Mankell's site seems to change out rather frequently.

I see I substituted a word for have (half? oh my).

Babi

« Reply #237 on: August 08, 2010, 08:39:42 AM »
 I do that more often than I like to admit in speaking, FRYBABE.  It's
easier to catch when I do it while posting, tho.  I can correct a post;
I can't take back a spoken word.  :-X

EvelynMC

« Reply #238 on: August 12, 2010, 10:02:35 PM »
We have also had a fund raiser going in our area, so I have missed seeing the last 2 weeks of Masterpiece Theatre.  They substitute some verrry old shows of music they think all of the seniors will enjoy.  Oh well...

I'm looking forward to Sunday night and some more Masterpiece Theatre.  Even if it's a rerun.

The new Inspector Lewis sounds good.

I didn't think the Wallander books were particularly blood thirsty.  They are dark because the man has been through some dark times and really sees life through a dark glass.  He seems to brighten up around his daughter.  But everyone has their own opinion when it comes to reading. That's what I like about this site, we can actually talk about books and our opinion of them.

Evelyn

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #239 on: August 12, 2010, 10:45:53 PM »
Evelyn, what puzzles me is that the next Wallander series includes the first book Mankell wrote on Wallander - Faceless Killers.  I'm not complaining, I'm happy we'll learn more about the man and what makes him so despondent. 

We have four more sets of books if anyone is interested.  You might remember that these are high quality paperbacks.  And the price is right. ;)