Author Topic: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley ~ July Book Club Online PREDISCUSSION  (Read 24678 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley ~ July Book Club Online PREDISCUSSION
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2010, 08:06:03 PM »

Frankenstein
 by Mary Shelley

Frankenstein is a story many of us think we know but actually don't. Very few films have followed the novel very closely. The monster of the book is intelligent and soft-spoken. The themes are timeless and full of conflict. Join us as we read this fantastic story, created by 19-year old Mary Shelley, and share your thoughts about its characters and meanings.

Post here to let us know you'll be joining us starting July 1.

"Remember that I am thy creature; I ought to be thy Adam, but I am rather the fallen angel, whom thou drivest from joy for no misdeed."

Discussion Leaders: PatH and marcie

Sorry to be dense, but what are PB and HB?

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2010, 09:40:10 PM »
Back at last as promised.
Pat,  the library copy is a Large Print edition published by G.K. Hall & Co., USA
and by Chivers Press, England.
Originally published in 1831 and is now in Public Domain in the
United States and the United Kingdom.

The Preface dated Marlow, September 1817 is followed by Letters I to IV, then (undivided) Chapters I through VI. Chapter VI ends in the sentence you quoted.
The letters all have a day and month but only 17- for the year.
The letters as well as the chapters have Roman numerals.
But the Year 1818 is nowhere mentioned   in either  the letters or in Chapters I to VI. Would this make a difference ?

There may be a personal problem, though:   July is shaping up to be busier than I had foreseen (or planned),  which  may limit the time I have to participate.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2010, 10:13:20 PM »
straudetwo, it looks like you have the 1831 edition, so don't worry about 1818.  I hope you'll come in when you can, read as you have time, whether or not you post.

JoanK, PaperBack and HardBack.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2010, 10:41:12 PM »
Jackie, the edition you posted a link to isn't either the 1818 or the 1831.  It's two versions, from still existing manuscripts--Mary Shelley's original, and one written in both Mary's and Percy's handwriting, printed in different fonts.  I suspect your Bodleian edition is one or both of these.  If you want to bother, we can sort it out by email.

I found some of our online links easier to read than others.

The publishers are sure doing what they can to confuse us.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2010, 08:12:36 AM »

It's two versions, from still existing manuscripts--Mary Shelley's original, and one written in both Mary's and Percy's handwriting, printed in different fonts.

Well, that fascinates me.  I keep imagining this 18 year old girl writing this imaginative story,  with a much older (how much older?) poet/writer husband putting in his two cents.  I'm going to have to come back and spend some time looking at the link Jackie has provided.  Does it really show Percy's additions, edits - in his own handwriting?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2010, 10:30:34 AM »
I thought you'd be interested, JoanP.  Jackie's link is to an ad for the book, which is available at some local Barnes and Nobles.

Percy was 5 years older than Mary.  He died at age 30, in a sailing mishap.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2010, 10:31:54 AM »
I hope all this talk about different versions isn't going to discourage anyone.  They are all of them really good reading.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2010, 11:40:44 AM »
Yes,  I think we'll have a great discussion and everyone can participate no matter what version you have.

mrssherlock

« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2010, 01:16:05 PM »
Joakk:  PB = paperback, HB = hard back.  The online version I prefer is the literature.org since Gutenberg is a download and I prefer to read the screen without crowding my HD.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2010, 01:36:33 AM »
Hello, everyone. Let's move to a new discussion to start talking about the book. We'll all start new at http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=1513.0. See you over there!