Author Topic: Zeitoun ~ David Eggers - September Book Club Online  (Read 79151 times)

Ella Gibbons

Re: Zeitoun ~ David Eggers - September Book Club Online
« Reply #280 on: September 26, 2010, 10:01:54 AM »
 :o
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  everyone is welcome to join in.

SEPTEMBER Book Club Online

Zeitoun ~  by David Eggers

" In Zeitoun, Dave Eggers expertly captures the Zeitoun family’s story of perseverance through forces of nature and man. This book is a testament to the city of New Orleans and the survivors of Hurricane Katrina who carry on and strive to rebuild. Zeitoun is narrative nonfiction at its storytelling best and Eggers valiantly provides writing worthy of the source material."   Mike Sullivan  About.com Book review

"It’s the stuff of great narrative nonfiction"  Timothy Egan ~ New York Times Book Review

SCHEDULE FOR DISCUSSION:

Sept l -8           PART I
Sept. 9 - 16          PART II
Sept. 17- 23         PART III
Sept. 22-25          Part IV, (September 6 --September 19) Zeitoun
Sept. 26-30          Part IV,  (Sptember 19)-- end Cathy, followup

Related links::
  Photographs - America's Greatest Heartbreak;
  About David Eggers; the town of Arwad;

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

1. What struck you the most about Cathy's experience trying to free Zeitoun?

2. What do you think would have happened if the Zeitouns hadn't known a lawyer and been able to afford to hire him?

3.Why do you think that Cathy showed more afteraffects than Zeitoun?

4. Did the interview with the man who arrested Zeitoun change your view on what had happened?

5. What is the main thing you will take away from having read this book?

Discussion Leaders:  Ella & JoanK

Sorry, there are two Muslim organizations listed on the Zeitoun Foundation site.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #281 on: September 26, 2010, 02:28:11 PM »
HEY, MAHLIA, great to have you here. Your knowledge of Islam, experience in various countries, and thoughtful approach are appreciated by all of your friends here.

And thank you for reminding us that Zeitoun is one person, not all Muslims. For example, it's obvious in the book how differant his personality is from that of his beloved brother Ahmad.

One thing about his personality: it seems from the afterward that Cathy has more long term affects from their experiences than Zeitoun does. Cathy has physical problems and admits that she has trouble controlling her anger. Whereas Zeitoun always appears calm, and says he bears no resentment.

Some of this difference is the obvious differance in their personalities, but I wonder if some of it could also be cultural. Could it be hard for Zeitoun to show or admit how much his experiences had affected him because of the cultural norms on how a man should behave? Certainly, it was surprising to Cathy (and me) when Zeitoun's brother said it would be worse for his family knowing that he was in prison, than if they thought he was dead. 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #282 on: September 26, 2010, 05:38:50 PM »
...it seems from the afterward that Cathy has more long term affects from their experiences than Zeitoun does.

That's why I asked earlier which had the worse time.  Zeitoun could certainly have internalized his anger, but if he had the same memory lapses as Kathy, his business would suffer, and I doubt he could hide it.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #283 on: September 26, 2010, 06:01:49 PM »
What do you think is wrong with Kathy?  Are we to understand that it is connected to those days of anxiety five years ago?  Does stress cause the symptoms that Kathy is exhibiting now in 2010?  Were you surprised that they went back to New Orleans after Zeitoun's experience?

kiwilady

« Reply #284 on: September 26, 2010, 06:11:58 PM »
Yes it was stress. She was an American converted to Islam but all the same American born and bred. I think although she knew it was possible she never dreamt that her law abiding husband would be treated so harshly. It must have been hard for her knowing it was her countrymen who had treated her husband in this way. I think it was more Zeitouns imprisonment that affected her rather than the flood.

Yes I am surprised they went back to New Orleans. However I can understand in because all their friends were there and they were respected by their clients.

Carolyn

Persian

« Reply #285 on: September 26, 2010, 06:42:35 PM »
CAROLYN - you've nailed it!  The response of Zeitoun to folks he does not know (as in their not being friends of his family) is VERY common among folks from the Middle East.  And although if one does not understand that Middle Eastern culture in general has it's "public side" (which is demonstrated outside of the family) AND its more personal, family/friends side, then it is hard to understand the differences.  But among folks from that region it is common:  quiet, a bit hesitant/shy - but polite generally - with folks who are not familiar.  Yet with family and friends, often a louder tone of voice (in arguments and with one's laughter), and willingness to question/answer a topic for hours.

Over the years, I have met, talked with and interacted on a regular basis with American women who have married men from other countries AND often converted from their birth religion to that of their husbands.  Although my own husband is an Egyptian Muslim, I remain a Christian.  Yet I have known many female colleagues, some neighbors in Washington DC and other women whom I have met publicly, who were adamant about converting to their husband's faith.  Some of the women took the time and effort to learn about their adopted religion, others did not.  And it was the latter group who had the most difficult time adjusting.

I can appreciate the wife's struggle - physical health, shock at the circumstances the family found itself in, and concern, worry and fear about the future.  These are HUMAN concerns, of course, but in her case, they're also coupled with the emotional trauma of her spouse's imprisonment and what life ahead would be like for her and their children.  The "unknown" (especially when it's as severe as what the family experienced)  can really wreck havoc in one's life.

Mahlia

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #286 on: September 26, 2010, 07:21:19 PM »
And yet when she was convinced that Zeitoun had drowned, or had been shot by the looters, she was so calm and ready to go to N.O., claim his body, bury him and get on with her life.  I think it was her frustration dealing with the bureaucratic red tape (we really can't call it that) that got to her - before she learned of his harsh treatment from his captors..

Persian

« Reply #287 on: September 26, 2010, 09:05:17 PM »
Perhaps her calmness was her own way of dealing with shock.  The latter affects each one quite differently and can be felt at one level for some time, followed by a complete about face, ranging from being totally mute to absolute hysterics to unusual behavior (including refusal to eat or drink or sleep) over a period of time, depending on how one channels the shock. 

And, of course, the intensity of the emotional and psychological relationship between the two also plays a role in how one responds to personal shock affecting a spouse.  The differences can be major, combined with various cultural norms, and/or may not be apparent for some time - perhaps years.  The latter behavior reminds me of the emotional and psychological behavior so many of the WW II, Korean and Vietnam vets suffered after serving in a time when outward demonstrations of what we called "shell shock" then and PTSD now was not well accepted (or understood).

Or perhaps at a less complex level, Zeitoun's wife did indeed just feel that she needed to "take over," make the necessary arrangements to identify and claim her husband for burial and assume full responsibility for their children.

Mahlia

kiwilady

« Reply #288 on: September 26, 2010, 09:13:11 PM »
For an entire year after my husbands death at the age of 49 I was in a detached mode. I can completely understand this coping mechanism.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #289 on: September 27, 2010, 09:58:19 AM »
 :)

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #290 on: September 27, 2010, 12:12:51 PM »
Some of you were surprised that Kathy and Zeitoun went back to New Orleans!  Where could they go?  Their business was in the city, they had a reputation there, Zeitoun was known for the good jobs he had done and he continues to get good work after the hurricane, after that terrible experience.

His calm is inner, I think.  My husband never showed emotion either and I wished he had in so many occasions.  It's a manly thing with some individuals I believe and is true in any culture.  And not just men, all individuals express emotions in varying ways and degrees.

Kathy is worried about Zeitoun; he's become more religious; fasts on two days of the week; eating less and working harder.  Kathy's struggles with the whole experience has shown up in different ways.  It would be difficult to be reminded daily - their neighbor on Claiborne who was visited by the National Guard, helped to pack for the boat and was helicopted  out.  Zeitoun passes the Greyhound bus station often and is reminded of that horror.

But his two friends spent months in a prison. 

Zeitoun had the money for a lawyer and, consequently, was out of the prison much earlier.  But I think it is obvious that his treatment in prison was worse because he was identified as a Muslim, don't you agree?

If so, they both must be worried about that aspect of their lives.  And their children as Muslims!! 

America in time will be more tolerant and less suspicious of Muslims I'm sure.   We are still very aware of 9/11 and the terrorists. 

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #291 on: September 27, 2010, 01:59:23 PM »
And yet when she was convinced that Zeitoun had drowned, or had been shot by the looters, she was so calm and ready to go to N.O., claim his body, bury him and get on with her life.  I think it was her frustration dealing with the bureaucratic red tape (we really can't call it that) that got to her - before she learned of his harsh treatment from his captors..

JoanP,When she thought he was dead there were obvious steps she could take, leading to closure.  I wonder if she is now living in a state of limbo, so to speak. And wonders, "is this the way it's always going to be?  When will our real life begin again?"  And "can this ever happen again -- take our rights away?"

Ella, I agree with you, that New Orleans was the only place they could go.  Zeitoun knew he could make a living, he still had a good reputation, and from what we can gather in the conclusion, he's doing all right in that respect.  I think it would have been very hard for him to start up in a place like Phoenix, without an established client base.

Mippy

« Reply #292 on: September 27, 2010, 03:00:21 PM »
I also agree that the family had to return to New Orleans.   Especially in the repair and renovation business, Zeitoun had an outstanding opportunity to help the city recover.

But we might be taking the book at face value.  Did he really recover emotionally, or did he ... as Ella suggested ... just cover up his inner turmoil by working hard.   I think men are able to do that better than women in many cases.   

I do not agree that the outlook is rosy for American acceptance of Moslem practice and attire.  I'm pessimistic about this, perhaps from my experiences and awareness of antisemitism against Jews (I am Jewish).  The entire anti-immigration feeling as expressed in the Arizona broughaha (spelling?) recently is one more instance of dislike and fear of any people who are "different"  although I do understand people fearing violence from those who cross the Arizona border (my father used to live in Arizona).   And look at the Tea Party ... don't get started on what they believe.   

One of the reasons this book was so difficult for me to take in was recalling all the difficulties encountered by any minority in the U.S. and in other countries.    Thoughts?

quot libros, quam breve tempus

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #293 on: September 27, 2010, 05:08:05 PM »
MAHLIA, CAROLYN: I, too, understand that coping mechanism. When my husband died, suddenly and unexpectedly, I was like a robot for months, doing what had to be done. Then sometimes feelings would break through.

The moment they broke through for Cathy was when she couldn't get anyone to tell her where the courthouse was where her husband would be tried. I had the same reaction. That was when I burst into tears reading the book. Why on earth do you think that happened?

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #294 on: September 27, 2010, 08:03:27 PM »
My husband and I both read the book and had slightly different reactions.  His reaction was mostly anger and surprised at the different levels of government in their treatment of Zeitoun.  While mine was more sorrow but not surprise.

Senator Dan Inouye, Hawaii, made a terrific speech on the Senate floor just a week or two ago about how he was treated as a Japanese after Pearl Harbor.  Young Japanese men actually had to petition the government so they could fight in World War II.  I didn't know until his speech (when another Senator mentioned it) that he has a Medal of Honor.

Sorry, kind of off the subject.  But it does show how many of our citizens react against minorities (religious and ethnic)  in times of trouble.

Mippy

« Reply #295 on: September 28, 2010, 07:17:10 AM »
Jean ~  I don't think your post is off subject at all.   
A discussion of how everyone feels about how the US authorities have been doing racial profiling might be allowed here.  Thoughts?

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #296 on: September 28, 2010, 10:06:45 AM »
Racial profiling!  By the goverment!  By the media! 

Oh, I think it is all true, you read it, you hear it.  For years and years it was the black population, still is, or course, in many ways although I think they have made some strides.

Yes, Mippy, I think also there is a subtle negative undercurrent in America about Jews, sad to say.  Why?

Yes, FlaJean, there have been all kinds of books (and a movie, I think) about that dreadful incarceration of Japanese-Americans during WWII.  My husband served in the Navy in WWII (I'm rather old, you see) on an aircraft carrier and while there were many black sailors they were all treated as inferiors and served in capacities such as kitchen help, etc.  He was troubled by it.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #297 on: September 28, 2010, 10:18:05 AM »
I was mad as hops when I was reading the last part of the book.  Zeitoun, an innocent man, was arrested, mistreated, and held incommunicado.  It never should have happened that way.  It's important to figure out why it happened, what fraction should never have happened, and how it could have been avoided.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #298 on: September 28, 2010, 10:38:54 AM »
FlaJean, you said your husband showed anger at the government treatment of Zeitoun and his friends, while you showed sorrow.

One of our questions in the heading is what will you take away from this book.  Good question.  Offhand, I would say I'm divided in my opinion about the handling of the hurricane in New Orleans by FEMA.  President Bush had just made FEMA a part of Homeland Security in 2003.  Bureaucracies are slow to organize; particularly one of this size.  It's huge!

http://www.fema.gov/

The soldiers were acting on orders.  There had been a mandatory evacuation; no one should have been in the city and the soldiers were ordered to arrest looters, to protect property.  Zeitoun should not have been in the city, he had the means to leave, he should not have taken the chances he did.  We are a nation - a city - of laws and particularly during a disaster a person needs to obey the government, whether it is a mayor, a governor, or the president.  Order must be established.

On the other hand, the soldiers were undoutedlly too quick to act and certainly somewhere - at the prison camp - the arrestees should have been allowed a phone call.  The police officer, Gonzales, who was one of those who arrested Zeitoun had this to say:

"When they (six cops in a boat) arrived, Gonzales was one of the first to enter. He saw a pile of computer components and stereo equipment on the dining room table, and he saw the fourt men.  There was something in their attitude, he thought, which signaled that they were up to no good."

They brought the men to a staging ground and handed them to the authorities.  When later interviewed Gonzales was regretful and said "They should have gotten a phone call."

Yes, Yes.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #299 on: September 28, 2010, 03:16:09 PM »
Yes, not getting a phone call was terrible. We put all these safeguards of rights in place, but in the end, we don't know if they're being followed or not. I wonder in other circumstances, how many people are dragged to jail without being charged or allowed a phone call, to be released later.

A friend told me her son (Black) was going into his grandmother's apartment, when two policemen grabbed him, made him lie down on the ground, searched him, and took him to jail. a few days later, he was released. He never found out why.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #300 on: September 28, 2010, 05:00:45 PM »
It's reasonable that they should have been picked up, and maybe even charged, though, given a chance, they could probably have come up with proof they were legitimate.  But then the system broke down.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #301 on: September 29, 2010, 10:17:18 AM »
It was really frustrating to watch the saga of the useless trailer, but that was probably a lucky break for the Zeitouns.  It turned out that some of the trailers were health hazards, full of vapors of lovely things like formaldehyde, and people got sick living in them.

Persian

« Reply #302 on: September 29, 2010, 02:29:01 PM »
I'd never lived in the American South before relocating from Maryland to NC in 2004.  It is STILL an enormous shock for me when I realize how segregated this area of our country still is.
I hear that division in many instances, witness it in unexpected (to me) ways, and am often appalled by the racially discriminating manner in which folks speak about or address people unlike themselves.  I do a lot of public speaking about the Middle East and Central Asia and often folks in the audience will ask me "why is someone like you" (meaning Caucasian) interested in folks like that (meaning people of ethnic, cultural and religious backgrounds)?  At first, I responded with a typical academic answer.  Now I simply respond with "that's obviously God's plan for me.  Thanks for asking and Bless Your Heart!"

JOAN - your comment about your Black friend's son being arrested as he tried to enter his grandmother's apartment reminded me of an instance I experienced sometime ago.  Our trash is picked up on Tuesday's - sometimes in the morning, mid-morning or occasionally in the late afternoon.  Since the weather has been so enormously hot this Summer, I meet the route fellows who take care of our neighborhood and hand them a plastic bag containing 4 - 6 bottles of ice cold water.  I've done that for many months and they are always appreciative of the water as I am of their excellent service. 

One day, when our trash container was REALLY filled up to overflowing, I carried the bag of water out to the curb behind the fellow pulling the container and waited to hand him the bag of cold water for he and his partner.  He thanked me profusely for the water, said they really looked forward to stopping for our pickup, because we're towards the end of the route and their water supply was about to run out.  He grinned and said "but we know we can always count on you."  I waited while he dumped the trash container into the truck and was setting it back down on the curb.  Suddenly, a police car pulled up, the Officer (White) got out and asked "Ma'am, do you need help?"  I assured him I did not!  After he'd gone away, one of the fellows turned to me and  said quietly "He just doesn't know you, Ma'am.  Don't be upset with him."  I was absolutely appalled; the fellow was just resigned.

Mahlia

kiwilady

« Reply #303 on: September 29, 2010, 03:00:33 PM »
I came from a suburb in Auckland where there were virtually NO black or brown people. The only Maori I knew were Kiri Te Kanawa's cousins who went to my high school. In a large high school we had only four brown skinned children. My family were very prejudiced. If one of us had married out of our ethnic group we would have probably been disowned.

It is different now regarding intermarriage in my family. We now have a brown baby in our family. My sister has realised there is still discrimination when my niece and her husband had to take their newborn to the childrens hospital because she had small seizure. They were grilled for an hour and made to feel they had done something to the baby to cause the seizure. This because the babys father is a very big very dark man. The staff did not take note of the neat way the parents dressed, their obvious healthy lifestyle ( no drugs etc) they only saw the big very dark man and thought Ha! must be some abuse here.  The baby is fine will be two years old in December and has the most patient loving dad.

Brooke and Graces great grandmother was Maori. Hence Brookes beautiful skin, brown eyes and wonderful thick wavy hair.

kiwilady

« Reply #304 on: September 29, 2010, 03:03:29 PM »
When I was reading this book I could not help wondering. If this event had happened in Florida would the outcome have been better. Would the levees have been improved long ago? All I could see was black people who seemed to be the ones suffering the most during the TV coverage of Katrina.

Carolyn

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #305 on: September 29, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
Oh, MAHLIA, what a story - a dreadful story about the policeman and the garbage man.  He was resigned, how sad!

You must read THE OTHER WES MOORE by Wes Moore, because this discrmination is not just in the south, it's in the poor neighborhoods of our biggest cities.  I hear about the conferences on education being held; I hope those people realize the dreadful conditions these children live with, almost hopeless in my opinion.

Read the reviews here and listen to the trailer by the author:

http://www.amazon.com/Other-Wes-Moore-Name-Fates/dp/0385528191/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285604403&sr=8-1

I would like to discuss this book with others, possibly a two-week discussion.  Anyone interested?

JOANK, I think your friend might be interested in the book, look it up.

PATH, yes, wasn't that trailer on Zeitoun's lot (I think it was on the street in front of his house) ridiculous.  Never hooked up, no steps, fill of vapors, as you said.  What a waste it all was and I wonder if FEMA  has made any improvements in the way all of this is handled.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #306 on: September 29, 2010, 03:12:49 PM »
Hi CAROLYN.  We were posting together and the story of your niece's baby is heartwarming and, yet, sad too.  I'm so happy that the beautiful baby is healthy and loved so well.  Did you write a letter to the hospital about the treatment?  I think I would have had to to ease my mind.  

The new generation is better in this regard aren't they?  We have a black president and, like you, none of us would have dated a black fellow when young and would have been disgraced if we had done so.  Likewise, I doubt if any black family would have welcomed a white DIL in their family either. 

It's going to take awhile for it all to change and some may never.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #307 on: September 29, 2010, 03:19:48 PM »
FEMA'S TRAILERS:

"In the days after hurricane Katrina devastated southern Louisiana and Mississippi, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) bought 145,000 trailers to house the thousands of victims displaced by the storm. Over the next five years, the trailers -- which emitted unhealthy levels of formaldehyde, but which were nevertheless used by thousands who couldn't find any other place to live -- became a symbol of the federal government's bumbling in the face of a national tragedy. Sold at auction, and then repurposed as housing for BP cleanup workers, the trailers remain a problem that just won't go away."

See full article from DailyFinance: http://srph.it/bAIqNH

kiwilady

« Reply #308 on: September 29, 2010, 06:37:45 PM »
Wonder how many people have ongoing illness globally due to unhealthy levels of formaldehyde
in so many homes and buildings? It seems to me that profit is the bottom line and you cannot tell me manufacturers were ignorant. Also what checks do we have as citizens to ensure we have healthy componants and foods. Seems to me our systems are broken! Its criminal and gets me so mad! ( environmental hazards are one of my biggest worries)

Mippy

« Reply #309 on: September 30, 2010, 06:56:30 AM »
Just a note to say a Big Thanks to our great DL's  Ella and JoanK, who have made this discussion come alive!   This book was very difficult for me to keep reading, but because of the group I did not give up when it became so upsetting to me.   Thanks to you two and to all the great people here in SeniorLearn who participate!

Aside:  The Kindle worked pretty well for this after all!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #310 on: September 30, 2010, 09:26:06 AM »
TODAY, SEPT. 30th.  OUR LAST DAY AND I HAVE SO ENJOYED DISCUSSING THIS BOOK WITH ALL OF YOU.

I HOPE YOU DID, ALSO!

MIPPY, THANKS FOR YOUR POST.  AND IT WAS AN UPSETTING BOOK IN MANY WAYS. 

I would llike to know your thoughts on the Kindle, however, because many of our participants will be using that in future book discussions in which we need to separate the parts of a book.  What are your suggestions?

I will be getting a Kindle, I know, one of these days and am storing all this information away where I hope I can retrieve it in the future.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #311 on: September 30, 2010, 09:55:10 AM »
Wonder how many people have ongoing illness globally due to unhealthy levels of formaldehyde
in so many homes and buildings? It seems to me that profit is the bottom line and you cannot tell me manufacturers were ignorant. 
I suffer from chemical sensitivities, and I can tell you that FEMA's reaction to the trailers--at first not believing there is a problem, then being very slow to take it seriously and do anything, then doing something inadequate--is a common one.  Of course, that seems to be FEMA's general approach here.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #312 on: September 30, 2010, 10:43:39 AM »
I cannot believe that September is over!  Where did the time go?  I want to thank you, Ella, and JoanK, for sticking with the discussion of a book that was unsettling at times...and all of you who shared your own personal experiences.  

There were some bright spots - at the end we learn of the birth of little Ahmad in 2006. I was surprised and happy to read that life goes on for the Zeitouns - in New Orleans.  Business is thriving...though so many of the Zeitouns' neighbors have moved, they returned, they prosper.

Have you had the chance to access the link to The Zeitoun Foundation, which was mentioned at the end of the book?  Lots of good information in Eggers updates in this site. I was interested in how Eggers is using the proceeds from the sale of this book...

"A portion of the proceeds of the book will go to the Zeitouns themselves. They have five kids, and I wanted to be sure that they would all be taken care of for college. And we’re planning to give some to those arrested with Zeitoun. The state of Louisiana is unlikely to compensate these men for their wrongful conviction, so we’ll do what we can. The brunt of the proceeds, though, will go to the Zeitoun Foundation. The Foundation is a very simple grant-giving operation. It will take the proceeds of the book and then distribute them to a number of nonprofits, most of them working in New Orleans. I was able to visit a number of them recently and they’re doing fantastic work. And we’re at a juncture in the recovery of New Orleans that a lot of us elsewhere in the country might assume that all is well again in New Orleans, the recovery is complete, etc. But this is the time when they need new funds, an influx of interest and support. So we’re hoping to contribute to the ongoing work of Rebuilding Together, the Porch, The Green Project, the Innocence Project, and others."

Thanks again, everyone - till next time!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #313 on: September 30, 2010, 11:17:04 AM »
Where did September go?

Ella and JoanK, thanks so much for leading this discussion and for bringing this book to our attention.  I don't read a lot of non-fiction, and am sure glad I didn't miss this one.  It, along with the discussion, was an eye-opener. 

Mahlia, your experience with the trash and the police -- unbelievable.

Carolyn, I'm glad you were with us.  Enjoyed your input from the Kiwi perspective.

serenesheila

« Reply #314 on: September 30, 2010, 02:00:34 PM »
I am so happy to have participated in this discussion.  Our book has made a permanent impression on me.  I still feel angry with the powers that be in Louisiana.  Also, with FEMA, and the Bush administration.  I still can hardly believe that our government could not have done a better job, with the aftermath of the flood!

A big thank you to our discussion leaders.  I appreciate your time, and your energy.

Mahlia, I am so glad that you are posting again.  I learn a lot from your posts.  I have missed you.

Sheila

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #315 on: September 30, 2010, 03:38:08 PM »
If we feel that the times are out of joint, we are not alone. Here is a poem written 2000 years ago:

From GEORGICS I

by Virgil

I feel the dread,
and the sun burns me, burns like a fever.
The world is full of war, and at home, crime
resembles a war. Men flock to the city
leaving their fields to weeds, their tools to rust.
Plowshares now are beaten into swords.
It’s bad in Asia, bad in Europe, bad...
No treaties hold, no laws hold, nothing
But Mars, blood red ... He holds it all
hurtling through the sky in his chariot.
I feel those wheels rumble. I feel the sway
of speed. The horses are mad and running faster.
They ought to check. They ought to answer the reins.
There ought to be reins.

But there are none.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #316 on: September 30, 2010, 03:42:44 PM »
As usual, you guys have been great discussants. I can't believe that the time is up already. If it was goodbye, I'd be crying, but it's on to "The Left Hand of Darkness", tomorrow.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #317 on: September 30, 2010, 04:14:05 PM »
It was a terrific discussion.  Thank you, Ella and JoanK

kiwilady

« Reply #318 on: September 30, 2010, 04:19:16 PM »
Thanks also for the great discussion. The book was very sad and got me mad at times but it was well worth reading.

Carolyn

Persian

« Reply #319 on: September 30, 2010, 06:06:34 PM »
It has been a true pleasure interacting with all of you again.  Many thanks for the invitation to join the discussion.  I post regularly in Seniors&Friends, so hope to see some of you in those discussions.  Carry on!

Mahlia