Author Topic: Holiday Memories Open House  (Read 56531 times)

salan

Re: Holiday Memories Open House
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2010, 06:43:29 AM »

Holiday Memories - An  Open House for All of US!

What's the best Christmas or Holiday you can remember from back in the Good Ole Days? We hope you will come  right inside out of the cold and share those memories with us - beginning Dec.1   T'is the season to wax nostalgic about Christmas past - and all the  holidays you celebrate this time of year..

Every party needs MUSIC!  Let us know your Holiday favorites...we'll link them here for you. Remember this one?

What's a party without  GOODIES? Let's  fill this buffet table with your favorites!  What's your best  Holiday  recipe ever and  the story behind it? Do you still bake like you once did? Shall we have a contest for the OLDEST RECIPE?

And what's a gathering of BOOK LOVERS without Books? We all have our seasonal favorite STORIES and POEMS. What are yours?  Each week in December we'll focus on two of your favorites.  Do you remember these two?

Oops, I meant to post this info.  Those of you reading the Covington series, there is a Christmas book titled "Blue and Gray Christmas" about the ladies.  I think you would enjoy reading it this time of the year.
Sally

rosemarykaye

« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2010, 06:57:56 AM »

I would not like you all to think we are a family of alkies!  Like Steph I can't recall when I last had any alcohol that wasn't wine - but I do enjoy a glass of that with my dinner some nights.  Unfortunately - as Barb has explained - there is a terrible binge drinking culture in the UK - probably in Scotland in particular.  I would not of choice go into the city centre on a Friday or Saturday night, and from now until after New Year it will be like that every night - far too many office parties where people start drinking at noon and roll home many hours later.  

Liver disease is increasing at a horrendous rate here - I saw a documentary recently about a hospital dept that has to deal with this.  Some of the teenagers that came in were actually chastened and went away saying they would stop getting drunk - the worst person was in fact a 30+ woman, who appeared not to give a damn - she had a job, house etc but her argument was that her "social life revolved around drink" (these days mine revolves around tea and scones!!) - she had been diagnosed with fatty liver disease but she was still filmed out drinking every night with her equally obnoxious friends.  I know I should probably be more understanding, but really she had no excuse, and in this country it is our hard-pressed NHS that is paying for this.  Also many many people have liver disease that is not self-inflicted, and the consultant in the dept said it was terrible having to do liver transplants on people who had brought it all on themselves, when others were still waiting for matches.  My neighbour is a hospital consultant who used to work in A & E - she said most of the people who came in on a Saturday night were the worse for drink and/or drugs.  She changed to geriatric psychiatry because she got so fed up with all this self-inflicted stuff.  When I was a student our college had a bar that was the main meeting place for everyone all day long - you had to walk through it to get to the dining hall - but despite that I don't recall people ever getting drunk except at the occasional student party, whereas now it seems to be what happens on a regular basis from Freshers Week onwards.  In those days I was a very boring student and used to drink tomato juice, plus the odd glass of sherry dished out by my Tutor.

that said, the odd glass of wine on a cold and wintry night is a great comfort  :)

Babi - I see what you mean about tea now!  When we speak about tea we inevitably mean India tea served hot with milk and maybe sugar, though in Scotland many people drink it black (just about no-one does in England).  Iced tea would be a great accompaniment to a meal, especially in your climate (I don't think I would fancy it here today - snow still lying and it's freezing cold).  I don't think I have ever had a home-made version, it sounds lovely - my daughters like Liptons Iced Tea that comes in a litre bottle, but I imagine that has as much in common with your version as hot Liptons tea, which is often served up in hotels in France and Italy to placate us , has in common with the tea we have here.

Drink driving is certainly not approved of here, and I do think that - despite all this binge drinking - very few people now do it.  They either have a nominated driver who doesn't drink, or they get taxis.  I think it is maybe worse out in the country where people live a long way from pubs - but we lived in a very remote area for 6 years and neither of us would have dreamt of drinking and driving.  In the town of course people can walk home - though how they afford to spend much time in bars beats me - the tax on alcohol here is very high, plus bars and restaurants put a huge mark up on drinks.  In the summer I bought two small glasses of wine for my friend and me in a country inn in the Lake District and I actually thought I had been wrongly charged - it was over £8 for 2 glasses - but it turned out that was correct.

Is egg nog the same as advocaat?  I seem to remember it was very fashionable when I was a child - people used to make a drink out of it called a Snowball, (yes, probably at their built-in bars!  You would never see one of those in a new house here either.) - which I am sure we would now think was vile, but at the time my parents - who only ever bought alcohol at Christmas - thought it was the height of sophistication - that along with Babycham, which is a kind of sweet fizzy stuff - yuk.  It's funny to think of all the things that were thought smart in the 1970s - black forest gateau, "chicken in the basket", scampi, that sort of thing.  I wonder what will be looked back on with derision in 30 years time?

Rosemary

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2010, 07:04:12 AM »
Barbara, I don't know on the Elderflower presse, it's sort of a soft drink, Rosemary will need to explain or maybe Pearson, it's not flavored water, but it sure is good. It TASTES,  if you can't get it, somewhat  like Mist, if you've ever had any of that. I discovered that to my shock  after lugging no end of it from England aboard the plane (in the good old days) and having two crates delivered here, only to find a new soft drink called Mist!  But it's like a lot of things you enjoy when traveling, I think you want to bring the experience itself  home more than anything else. It's an elusive flavor actually, and there are lots of websites on making your own. I have to assume when you make your own it's not carbonated, maybe you can get it both ways?

On the squash as soup? That's way beyond me as a "cook," hahahaa, but I admire people who can see things in recipes and make them their own. I need a You CanNOT Fail Unless You Don't Turn on the Stove Cookbook. I would leave the crackers out since they make it stable.

Lately I'm wanting tomato soup with water, one of my comfort foods, do you all have them? Why on earth acidy salt laden tomato SOUP should be a comfort food, is beyond me:  it's got 900 miligrams of salt per cup (maybe the comfort is in killing the comfortee, hahaha) maybe along with a grilled cheese sandwich (fat AND salt) or cheese toast (ditto) is an acquired taste.

Memories! I remember the Automat in Philadelphia as a child. I just saw in Heathrow Airport this summer a suchi bar which reminded me of the same thing. The diner in that case goes in, sits down, and revolving tracks bring no end of delights covered for you to choose as you sit. At the Automat you had to go  yourself (does anybody know what I'm talking about?) to a wall of what looked like post office boxes with glass fronts, put in your nickle or two and pull out your vending machine food. The cooks, standing behind it, would put new food in it. Then you'd take it to a table and eat. I loved Horn n Hardart's Automat. I understand they are making a comeback, but I have not seen one but there are lots of self serve places to eat, thinking of Pret a Manger, for instance, just no glass doors (and forget the nickle price).

Sometimes we'd end up with somebody wanting to share a table, it was always packed, and often it might be somebody who was down on their luck, to put it mildly. They'd come in, get a cup and hot water (free) and use the ketchup on the table and salt to make tomato soup.  So there we'd all sit.  I don't remember what happened next, as I was quite young, but knowing my mother I'm sure the man would not have lacked for the next meal, but those details escaped me as a child.

Other Christmas memories: I grew up in Philadelphia and as a special treat we'd go downtown to Wanamaker's grand store which had a multi floor atrium, all dressed out for Christmas. There they'd have one floor of toys, trains everywhere.  We'd eat on one of the restaurants on  the balcony and hear the grand organ concert, which played at several times during the day. The store has changed hands since then, it was Lord and Taylors the last time I went and the organ continues to be played, I took a short movie of it. There was a huge  huge eagle statue in the lobby ("Meet me at the Eagle,"), still there too.  Eagle for freedom? Philadelphia, Liberty Bell? The organ is  conserved now by Friends of the Wanamaker Organ, it's still, 62 years later, a thrilling experience. I think the store has changed hands again but I am pretty sure the organ continues.

Those old department stores, Gimbels, Lits, Wanamakers, nothing like them at Christmas.  I just also saw the windows featured in an article, of NYC, Bergdorf Goodmans has the TV cooks on one: Bobby Flay, Emeril Lagasse, that would be a hoot! Love the store windows,  magic!

Oh wow lemoncello, Sorrento's own, it stays in the freezer and doesn't freeze, Pedln? The ones I've had in the south of Italy  I can see why! hahaha

Janice, my only grandbaby just turned 4, what a magic age. I get to keep him during the week, aren't they magic tho?

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2010, 11:53:30 AM »
Here's a wonderful link for all to enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE

It brings many good memories to mind for me as, like Pedl'n, I was able to atttend a singalong at one of our historical theatres here in Columbus, OH for years with a good friend of mine from our church choir.  Almost all of the hundreds of folks singing "Alleluia Chrous" brought there own copies of the whole rendition.  It was pure joy to sing! And to be a part of joining that huge community of music lovers.

Also, when I was in 8th grade, there were three of us grade schoolers asked to join the high school St Cecelia Choir in Indianapolis, IN.  We spent many joyfilled hours at Christmas luncheons and dinners and parties performing nothing but Christmas songs.  Did you know that St Cecilia is the patron saint of music??

"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

CallieOK

« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2010, 11:53:40 AM »
Salan,  central Oklahoma here (if Oklahoma City were a clock face, I'd live "north of noon").  
Snow flurries were predicted for today.  I counted - oh, maybe 25 that fell on the car hood as I left a store a little after 10:00 a.m.  IMO, that'll do!!!   ;)

Molasses Sponge Jelly Roll

4 eggs, separated
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup molasses (NOT syrup)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Beat egg yolks until thick.  Gradually beat in sugar and molasses.
Beat egg whites until almost stiff.  Fold into yolk-sugar mixture.
Sift dry ingredients together and stir in gently until well mixed.
Pour into jelly-roll pan (edged cookie sheet) that has been lined with waxed paper.
Bake at 375º for 12 minutes.  Turn out onto waxed paper that has been sprinkled with powdered sugar.  Peel paper from cake and trim crusts if necessary.  Roll quickly with fresh waxed paper inside roll.  Cool.
Unroll and spread with apple butter - then roll again.

Ginny, my family was stranded for almost 24 hours in a snowstorm coming from Colorado to Oklahoma. When we were finally rescued (story for another time) and were in a restaurant, almost everyone ordered hamburgers, steak, etc. 
All I wanted was cream of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich.  Comfort food, indeed!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2010, 01:21:31 PM »
hahaha, There are two of us then! it's amazing when I crave it, I have to ask self what needs comforting. hahaha

That recipe looks fabulous, thank you so much!  Have copied it to my own recipe page I'm getting up here, I love trying something new, each season, maybe that's why there's too much to eat here. :)

I came back in to say I have just  found (and I sat here blubbering too and could not even tell my husband what it was, he now, I am sure, thinks I am certifiable) but I've found the absolute perfect thing, tying in the Wanamaker Organ and the talk here about the sing along Hallelujah Chorus?

You can be present without leaving your chair and see a slide show of the great organ (impressive, huh?) and  hear the great organ (small button to the right as you scroll down this) but don't, go about 1/4th down the page, to the  first image under the words Welcome to the Friends of the Wanamaker Organ Website, it's a movie.  Click on the arrow and you can be part of the magic.

Apparently the Opera Company of Philadelphia conceived a surprise for shoppers one day in Macy's   which is now what Wanamaker's has become, apparently during holiday time. Shoppers were gathering in the atrium listening to the organ play as they do when suddenly 650 members of combined choruses began singing the Hallelujah Chorus along with the organ.

Can you IMAGINE what that must have been like? For somebody like me who always expects people to break out in song it's just incredible.

The amazement of the shoppers and the joy? The scenes of the lobby (anybody here from Philly, you can see people sitting under the bronze eagle feathers  and shoppers singing)  and the JOY is just....it's what Philly used to be,  (and apparently still is) it captures the magic perfectly, to me.  A once in a lifetime happening, and we can participate!

Enjoy, you really don't want to miss this: http://www.wanamakerorgan.com  
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

Janice

« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2010, 02:11:56 PM »
Kiwi that ham sounds perfect for us too, I hope I can find one like it.
No, I am not new here, been a member since the beginning but have been off having a brain bleed and attempting to die...it's why the talk of possessions and death was a little bit hard for me...but have completely recovered which surprised all the medical people as I also had a ruptured aneurysm.  
I remember Tom and Jerrys though I've never had one.  My parents used to make them at Christmas for all the adults that visited.  The kids got the home made candy...fudge, seafoam, popcorn balls, etc.
I have my shopping list in hand and I'm ready to go get my Christmas grocery supplies.  
I live in Green Bay, Wisconsin, it's very cold here but not nearly as cold as it will get.  It's 22 degrees right now with no snow on the ground.  The sun is out and is shining in through the windows and warming up my two cats who are sleeping in the windows.  I have two children and two grandchildren ages 4 and 6.  This evening I plan to wrap Christmas presents as all my shopping is done.  I don't have any recipes to share except Mexican Wedding Cakes, though they may be called just Wedding Cakes, but most people already have that recipe.  I also make fudge balls...only easy things. :D

mabel1015j

« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2010, 02:25:02 PM »
Ginny- the Kurlansky book on food talks about the automats, of course.

Have been to the Wanamakers light shows, first w/ the children, then w/ the grandson. I wonder if there has been a clause in the selling contracts that new onwers have to continue the shows or if Macys and Lord and Tayors have just recognize that it a great p r piece. It really puts you in the Christmas spirit to hear that organ and to see those lights......jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2010, 03:18:55 PM »
I loved the two concerts in the shopping centers! Especially the faces of the children in the first one. There may have been some new music lovers created.

STEPH: "americans seem to drink less and less." And smoke less and less, too. The first thing friend who go to Europe tell me is "it was great, but there was cigareete smoke everywhere -- you can't get away from it.

That's great, but what no one will admit is that those are (at least in part) why we eat more and more -- America's number one health problem is obesity (a problem I share).

rosemarykaye

« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2010, 04:27:25 PM »
Janice,, a hundred apologies for going on about morbid things - I really should think before I open my on-line mouth  :(.  One of the problems with dealing with stuff like this for a living is that it is all too easy to forget that it is to do with people's worst experiences - for us it is what we deal with everyday, but for most people - thank goodness - it is a rare experience, but unfortunately also a horrible one.  I really am very sorry if I upset you.

I am full of awe for anyone who has done their shopping by 7th December - you will be able to sit back and enjoy all the Christmassy stuff while chaotic people like me waste even more time running around John Lewis like headless chickens, and discovering that on-line suppliers' deadlines have expired weeks before we have even looked at their websites.

my two cats are so fed up with this awful weather.  In summer they lie on cushions on the windowsill enjoying the warmth, but in winter they are curled up in the papaysan chair (or as my children used to call it, the Parmesan chair) - whenever they feel moved to get up, they just walk about moaning and looking hopefully at the gas fire (off).

Joan K - yes, I am sure French women are only thin because they smoke so much (well , that's my excuse anyway).  We have an increasing obesity problem here - particularly amongst young people.  The Scottish diet is generally terrible, far too much fat, salt, etc - and of course in the past many Scots would have been working on the land and burning up loads of calories, whereas now they are as idle as everyone else.  The government is always pouring money into this and that initiative to improve the national diet, but it makes no difference.  we live in a relatively affluent area, and every morning I see the pupils from the local school head into the sweet shop to buy iced doughnuts, rowies (100% hard fat roll things) and cola - they are not deprived, they often have £20 notes in their hands, but it is not cool to do anything else.  Similarly, the schools meals service strives to provide healthy lunches, but there is hardly any take-up because the pupils are allowed out into town from day one, and it is only cool to frequent chip shops, burger bars, etc.

Rant over!

Hope everyone's preparations are going well,

Rosemary

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2010, 04:47:41 PM »
The preparations here are not going so well, Rosemary.  Just finishing up the birthday shopping and soon can start the rest!  (Do I have to mention that I'm hooked on "Some Tame Gazelle" and read a chapter after each chore.  More reading that decorating, I'm afraid.)

So Sally - another renegade in our midst!  Have you ever visited Rob Roy's grave in Balquidder? The MacGreggor name was banned at the time, but that didn't stop the family from putting it on the grave marker - along with "MacGreggor Despite Them."
You asked where weall  are - the weather - We're in Arlington, VA - and it is COLD for here in early December...34 degrees - with snow predicted for the weekend.

JoanK, I can understand why the obesity just looking over the recipes we're all busy copying here!  Marcie is working on special file today for the heading...oh boy, are we going to put on the calories!
Thanks for the scruptious Molasses Jelly roll recipe, Callie... did you get any more snow today?
"I also make fudge balls...only easy things."
Nothing wrong with "easy," Janice!  Please tell how you do the fudge balls.  (Did someone mention a recipe for English Toffee - I'd like to have that recipe too.)
  I'm watching  looking for Steph's "Beggars..." They sound like something my son would like - want something special for when he comes home this weekend. He's living in London now - and will land here the same time the snow is expected to arrive.

Annie's back from the sick room!  Yaay! Is Ralph feeling better too?  Hope your appetite is back!  Thanks for the Allelulia links - isn't it interesting that we are hearing Handel's great works in the marketplace, rather than in the concert halls and cathedrals? Does this mean anything do you think?

Well, the music is covered and the table is groaning -   Are you ready for another story?  Someone nominated Pearl Buck's Christmas Day in the Morning .  I sure hope this doesn't make you cry.  So many of these stories tend to do that.  It must be nostalgia, the memories of time gone by - a combination of the two.  Loss.   Can anyone suggest a seasonal short story that doesn't tug at ones'  heart?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2010, 05:38:15 PM »
A cold and dreary day here - What a treat to come in here and feel the holiday warmth

Janice sounds like you have had a time of it - hope the warmth of the holidays with those grandbabies does your heart 'good'.

Ginny thank you - such a treat - amazing that was performed back on October 30 - did  you see everyone bundled up and all the red sweaters, sweat shirts and jackets - well I am glad it was cold enough for all of that in October because it made watching this a real treat - I felt like I was right there in the middle of all the hub bub of people enjoying people.

Sally - what fun - another Texan - sounds like you are up around Lampasas - Did you know Sage - she was with us when we were SeniorNet and she lived in a little house in downtown Lampasas.

We had a fun sojourner when before the world beat it to George Bush's ranch we had to find it in Crawford - fun and games - little help from that one gas station/restaurant/grocery but a wave in the direction - after poking around and knowing that day he had a telecast in Waco we found a road with those orange cones off the shoulders and decide that was the road - off we went when all of a sudden we saw a vehicle speeding up on us with another behind it - the one slows right on our tail and the other drives by - both cars - this is pickup country - and the driver looks in - sure enough - another mile or two they stop us - the FBI - where were we going - they followed us all the way after they told us there was nothing to see but we played little old lady and insisted - a guard at the most non-descript gate ever - there was the trailers that had all the TV equipment and the other that the reporters used right by the gate - the next year we went back out of curiosity - all the boarded up shops were opened as souvenir stores and the first wave of protesters were camping on the roadside far from the ranch.

Callie snow flakes - oh my - we are expecting a week cold front tonight that I bet is your snowflake cold front - hopefully it clears out this mizzly soup that has blown up from the coast.

Joan as long as we are comparing - looks like Europe succumbed to the eating as well - the BBC had a newsflash today saying that 50% of Europeans are obese. Are we really eating that much or is the changes in our food making a difference or is it that we are no longer as physically active sitting in front of a computer for so much time. Whoops Rosemary has posted since I started this agreeing she notices the added pounds on folks .

Yes Rosemary you are so right – Caster Sugar is not like our confectionary sugar which has some baking powder in the mixture - when all else fails I go to Amazon and sure enough a whole page of caster sugar –

Evidently it is like bar sugar – I am thinking few of us even know about 'Bar' sugar - but there is bar sugar as one of the choices – can’t find it now but there was a site that showed caster sugar on a tablespoon – frankly I could not see what was different from the photo but it seems to be a very fine or as they say super fine grind of sugar.

Most of all to me what was valuable is to learn that Imperial sugar still sells Cane Sugar - not Beet Sugar nor the mixture called Corn Sugar. [Did you know corn sugar is a mixture of chemicals that includes the corn syrup] I did read and learn that Beet sugar came about around the time of Napoleon - that shocked me - I forget now what the issue was that made it the norm.

OK a couple of fun links – this is for a Coke Recipe shown as a before Christmas Dinner drink in a web site that again I have lost – but the recipe is fun – http://www.coca-colaconversations.com/my_weblog/2009/10/recipecrystal-cocacola-coctail.html

And for a medieval dinner this page has a list of recipes – http://www.godecookery.com/allrec/allrec.htm scrolling down I did think that Tourtes parmeriennes looked interesting and when I found the recipe, it is really quite do-able

I would change the meat to boneless chicken quarters with maybe some rabbit or cut up deer meat and I just think it would be pretty and help the flavor to surround it with slices of carrots all floating in a thick stock that would jell once cooled. It would be fun to serve with paper flags on skewers with each of my grandson’s names – now wouldn’t that be fun…

And this site is a beauty – scroll down Mabel and there are the oysters served on a bed of ice – this site is like imagining you are a kid in a Dickens story looking in the window of a fine restaurant or peeking inside the front window of family home. http://www.victoriana.com/christmas/menu-99.htm

And to follow up here is a youtube of John Jacob Niles’ I Wonder as I Wander that is being played on a Hammered Dulcimer where as John Jacob Niles played an 8 string Mountain Dulcimer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gng2hRMqsOY

And to enjoy the simple beauty of the words sung by a voice that can do it justice –
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ_fH-1xwGE
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2010, 06:11:02 PM »
OK you wine folks -  what wine do you like with your Turkey - always a problem - the white seems too insipid and the red has to be just right or it takes over. The price is getting out of sight but we have enjoyed a Châteauneuf-du-Pape.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

nlhome

« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2010, 08:00:51 PM »
Tom and Jerry's - we used to have them a lot years ago. They are a hot drink, a beaten egg white batter with spices put in a mug with whiskey, rum or brandy and hot water or milk. Really warms a person up on a cold winter's evening.

It's 11 degrees right now in southern Wisconsin, with about 5 inches of snow on the ground. Tonight may get to 0. This is Fahrenheit, by the way.

Wine with turkey. We usually have a white or a white zinfandel, but there is a local white called Prairie Fume that really goes well. It's a little bit sweet, but not too much.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2010, 08:24:29 PM »
Oh heavens - 0 degrees - all I can think of is that  your homes are built to withstand the cold and so you will hopefully be snug as a bug - found the wine http://www.wollersheim.com/prairie_fume.asp I have not seen it in the wine store but then I have not been looking either - worth a try though - thanks for the tip.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2010, 02:40:50 AM »
Good morning!  Have been up since 5.45 am to get poor daughter onto bus to get to school - she has exam at 8.30am and her boarding house has been shut, first for snow and now for burst pipe.  The school is only 7 miles away but the bus takes over an hour to get there - very circuitous route.

Anyway, I meant to say one final thing re sticky toffee pudding.  My mother makes it and cuts it up into portion sizes, then freezes them individually - then she can have some herself when she likes, or take out however much she needs for guests.

I have this morning remembered another recipe - reindeer cakes.  You make some chocolate muffins or fairy cakes (small sponge cakes in paper cases).  When they are cooked and cooled, you melt about 4oz plain chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.  You lay a sheet of baking parchment or greaseproof paper onto a large baking tray, then using a teaspoon drizzle the melted chocolate on to it to make 24 little antlers  (they don't have to be uniform shape/size!).  You put them somewhere cold to set for 15 mins.  You then put a blob of chocolate spread on top of each cake.  Put a glace cherry in the middle of each one for the nose, put 2 white chocolate drops on for the eyes, and half a milk choc button (ie brown not white) for the mouth.  Then carefully remove the antlers from the paper and stick 2 on top of each cake.

We have made these for a few years now - we usually give some to our neighbour, who has a 3 year old granddaughter, but my children still like to have some themselves.

They actually are very easy to make apart from the fiddly bit with the antlers - which I get my husband to do, as he is good at that sort of thing, whereas I am the plain ordinary baker.  If you would like me to copy out the full recipe ( ie for the cakes themselves as well) , just let me know.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2010, 06:17:02 AM »
It is uncharacteristicly cold here. I live in central Florida. The last year for me was a hard sad one. I lost mdh just over a year ago in a horrible auto crash. I survived, but had a lot of surgeries and therapy. Now I am learning how to live alone after 51 years of being a team. It is getting easier, but still painful
Stephanie and assorted corgi

rosemarykaye

« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2010, 07:18:03 AM »
Steph, we are all with you in spirit - you are amazing to have got so far already, and I know you will continue to amaze us. 

I hope you are looking forward to your trip to Scotland - though you wouldn't want to be in edinburgh at the moment; snow everywhere and freezing temperatures.  it'll be a lot nicer in the spring.

Take care, and remember we are all here for you,

Love from Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2010, 09:22:28 AM »
 ROSEMARY, my 'drinking' was confined to the occasional single drink at holiday parties when I was half of a young couple. The one time I tried a second drink, my arms felt numb!  I decided I could easily skip all that. In later life I tried wine briefly for digestive problems, but wasn't happy with either the price or the results.
  I couldn't begin to guess whether Americans drink more than your lot , but they certainly drink. Beer is the most popular beverage, I believe, for the average drinker, but I'm guessing. The bars and the liquor stores are plentiful and busy, I know that.
  Er, what, exactly, is Elderflower presse?  Is sounds like someone has pressed juice out of an elderflower.

Do any of you remember 'angel hair'?  For 3 years or so my mother would painstakingly wrap
angel hair around each light bulb on the Christmas tree.  The effect was lovely, but it did leave
her hands irritated.  The angel hair was apparently a kind of spun glass.  It caused a lot of problems and after a while it disappeared off the market.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

rosemarykaye

« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2010, 09:33:53 AM »
Elderflower presse is a delicious slightly sparkling drink.  There are a couple of companies that market it -Bottlegreen and Belvoir Organic come to mind, but I'm sure there are others.  They also make elderflower cordial, which you dilute with water (that one's not fizzy - unless you add fizzy water I suppose!).  I know you can also make the cordial yourself from the huge white elderflower heads that grow in hedgerows in summer, but I've never done it.

www.bottlegreen.co.uk
www.belvoirfruitfarms.co.uk
 and here is a recipe (but as I say, I've never tried it):

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/elderflowercordial_6465

Never heard of angel's hair - but it sounds like the stuff builders seem to put in the linings of new house roofs.  We had a new house some years ago, my husband allowed my daughter to help him do something or other in the loft (ie inside the roof space) and her hands came out in terrible rash - I had to get cream from the doctor for her.

R

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2010, 12:23:32 PM »
Morning folks - just a peek in - it is one of those days - sun is out - rah -  but barely, sort of a stone blue gray sky - at least the mizzily soup is gone -

Ah so. the Elderberry presse is a sparkly drink! - I have purchased at IKEA a bottle of Elderberry concentrate that I have added to - here we go :D - my ice tea - but I bet it would be refreshing added to a seltzer water. Aha - found it online - http://www.ciao.co.uk/Belvoir_Organic_Cordial_Elderflower__7632153

My Aunt always used Angle Hair on her tree - I understand Angle Hair was spun glass - we used tinsel that each year when the tree was taken down we carefully picked off and wrapped on a cardboard for the next year - Since the recycling of trees has become so popular the tinsel must be removed - for awhile the trees were put out tinsel and all.

Rosemary I bet the roofing insulation is Fiberglass - it too is a devil in disguise.

Steph it is hard isn't it - I heard recently a helpful tip - that undersea movement and cracks in the earth's plate allows all sorts of new nutrients to escape into the ocean - I am hoping our cracks do that for us - I try to keep up with music and staying busy this time of  year - it is three years ago now that 3 days before Christmas the Sheriff called that my son died - alone, back from the hospital after surgery, no one to keep the fire going in his cabin in the mountains of New Mexico - a cold front blew in driving the temp to 20 below and he froze in his sleep. Problem, although neighbor was checking daily when  he did not answer the neighbor thought he was sleeping and so three days went by before he called the Sheriff - the why this or that and why didn't I this or that continues - ah so, we all have our stories that hurt - just saying I understand that helpless feeling that washes over  us with the loss of someone so close who brought joy to our life -

bellamarie

« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2010, 01:36:57 PM »
Good afternoon ladies and gents if we have some out here.  I am so very late to join the holiday chat this year.  Seems my daycare has overwhelmed me a bit and then surgery last week has set me back a bit, but....I am so happy to be here and see all your lovely posts.  The recipes sound devine and all the traditions you all have shared makes me feel so warm inside.

Steph and Barb, my heart goes out to you for your struggle with your losses.  This time of year can be so joyful, yet sad when you have lost a loved one you shared it with.  Steph, I hope you make his favorite desert you spoke of because I think your hubby will be looking down on you smiling.  I lost my Mom 20 yrs ago and I still miss her like crazy at Christmas.  I try to continue doing certain things the same way she always did and I have one of her ornaments, an angel hanging on a star that I place at the top front of my tree every year and say, "Merry Christmas Mama."  Ironically each Mother's day I plant a perennial in honor of her because she so loved her flower garden.  This year it was a tiny baby rose bush, and lo and behold I look outside my back kitchen door window and would you know it.....one tiny single red rose is still  as beautiful as it was in the summer and mind you its been freezing and snowing here for weeks.  She is holding her beauty and her place in my life even today!!! 

On a happier note, I have almost finished my shopping and have decided to donate to a family in need in our parish and forego a few extras for others.  I grew up very poor with a house full of hungry mouths and this family has felt the pains of the loss of jobs with the economy, so to fill my holiday with joy I will do all I can to help them have joy in their home.  That my Mom taught me at an early age, we may not have alot but we always have enough to share something.  Don't you just feel so overjoyed when you know you can help someone else?  Okay, popped in but have to run before the grndkids come in off the school bus and the little ones awake from their naps.  I'll peek back in soon, I want to write down some of the delicious recipes, thank you all for sharing.

Ciao~
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2010, 03:39:57 PM »
There is nothing like the blend of joy and sorrow a holiday brings. Every year we look around the table, full of joy for those who are there and sorrow for those who are not. But I also feel those who are gone very close to me at this time.

I am in Southern Califoria, and the weather is glorious! I keep thinking I will get used to it and stop noticing, but I've been here four years now, and every time I go outside, see the flowers and blue sky and smell the hint of the sea, I get excited all over agan. I don't miss the snow, since in Washingon DC, where I'm from, we rarely had snow til later in the winter. I do miss the rain -- the other day, it poured, and I opened my patio door and just sat there and watched it for hours.

At first when I moved here, I thought there were no seasons. Now I realized that there are, they are just more subtle. You have to keep your eyes peeled to see them.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2010, 07:49:16 PM »
I just have to share - my friend stopped by with what she thought was going to be an late afternoon treat - well we made a supper party of it and per usual we gabbed and gabbed as if it was forever instead of only 4 days ago that we visited each other.

Well her treat was a first time try at a dish new to me but to die for it was so good - Eggplant Caponata - I had a loaf of Russian Rye and that good Irish butter and after one bite we just had to splurge - so down she went to the HEB [Texas Food Chain] and picked up a bottle of Grolsche that we split between us - thank goodness she made a bowl full because we could not stop -  you have to understand here my friend in 91 - we are quite a pair having an afternoon party and one of the topics of conversation would you believe was Hans Kung's latest book. Oh my...  here is the recipe Charlotte used - fabulous tasting... oh yes she cooks like I do and so this is our best attempt to use real measurements and how to's.

* Small handful - about 1/4 cup golden raisins
    * 1 large eggplant, stem removed, and chopped into inch size to maybe a 1/2 inch cubes
    * Little over a 1/4 cup of olive oil
    * 1/2 cup chopped red onion - she used a whole onion so there may have been a bit more than a 1/2 cup.
    * a clove of garlic, minced
    * 1 cup of diced tomatoes - she only seeded about 2/3rds of the cup and left in some seeds
    * 2 teaspoons a good red wine vinegar
    * 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
    * Nearly forgot the olives - yes a good handful - a bit more than a 1/2 cup of green olives sliced in half across the middle.
    * Handful that was about 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
    * Salt and pepper

In a thick frying pan soften the eggplant in most of the olive oil - move them around so they do not stick or brown and cook for about 10 minutes - pull them off the fire before they become mushy when they still have body and you can still smell the olive oil.
place in a bowl - then add the remaining olive oil and soften the red onion - add the minced garlic, then the tomatoes and raisins, let that cook a bit seasoning with salt and pepper - then add the cooked eggplant and stir in the crushed red pepper and the wine vinegar - just heat it through for less than a minute and put it in a bowl to cool stirring in the parsley and sliced green olives -

Charlotte really cooled her Caponata so that it was cold, icey cold when we started polite enough with a small portion on a salad size plate - our eyes rolled it was so good - that was when she drove to the store and when she returned we just ate right from the bowl buttering the rye bread as we ate - the kind with caraway seeds - and enjoyed our glass each of Grolsche.

We didn't want to change the tastes in our mouth but we knew if we didn't add something to make it a meal we would end up eating a full meal late tonight - so I put a couple of apples in the microwave with butter and brown sugar and made a pot of coffee - I had some sugared pecans to sprinkle on the baked apples -

I read aloud the Pearl S. Buck Christmas story and then we talked about it which nudged our memory of a book, something about giving a gift to someone every day for a month and how healing it was for the author who was either ill or going through a bad patch - we could not remember the details but it prompted us to think of a few more ideas of how we could help the homeless this year.

Just an unexpected Christmas get-to-gether that was not planned but is a memory maker and thanks Joan, Pearl S. Buck's story added a rich topic of conversation to our evening.

salan

« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2010, 08:00:39 PM »
Ginny and Callie,  make that 3 for grilled cheese and tomato soup.  Just this past week, I was keeping my 9 yr old grandson for a few days, and we had grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for lunch.  Yummy!

Barb, I live in Llano; so you were in the right vacinity.  Babi--Angel Hair--I had forgotten all about it.  It was beautiful; but very hard on your hands.  And Icicles--silver tinsel that you carefully removed and saved from year to year.  Our parents and grandparents would be horrified with all the disposable items we have now.

We lived out in the country and would pick out a tree for my father to chop down for Christmas.  It was usually a cedar tree and my little sister insisted that it be tall enough to reach the ceiling.  It would be decorated with the large old fashioned multi-colored lights, glass balls, home-made red and green construction paper chains, tinsel icicles, various treasured ornaments and topped with a lighted star.  My poor mother was allergic to cedar; and sneezed all through the holiday.  The tree was put up about a week before Christmas and taken down shortly after Christmas.  I had two older sisters and one younger sister-no brothers.  Money was scarce, but we were never hungry and always had adequate clothing.  My mother was a child at heart and loved to see lots of packages under the tree; so she would wrap everything!!  The presents were usually practical-new sweater, flannel gown, a special dress, even new pencils or crayons for school got wrapped.  The "goodies" were saved for Santa to bring.  Santa Clause came sometime in the night and on Christmas morning, all the goodies were placed under the tree with name tags tied on them.  Our stockings were one of mother's nylon hose.  The toe always had a whole coconut in it.  There were oranges, apples, mixed nuts, candy of all kinds and various wrapped packages.  There was a large peppermint candy cane hanging over the top.  We had no fireplace and the stockings were very heavy; so they were placed on a chair close to the tree. When we woke up early, my little sister and I were allowed to sneak in, grab the stockings and take them back to bed with us.  It was usually cold (the days before central heating) and we would burrow under the covers and pour out our stockings.  We would lay there giggling and looking at our goodies until our parents could warm the house (and I realize now, probably have their first cup of coffee in peace); then they would get us up and Christmas would begin.

More later about my most memorable gifts.
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2010, 08:30:51 PM »
Precious memories.  Thanks for sharing yours, Sally!  
The talk of angel hair on the tree brought back my grandmother's house - in the 50's I think it was.  (my father wouldn't have it in our house.)  Isn't it amazing how mention of a long forgotten detail like that brings it all back?  I've been thinking what will be passé 50 years from now that my grandchildren will remember with nostalgia...

Barbara, I came running in here with the new cookbook, just off the press, only to find more recipes to be added.  Will do that tonight. Not sure if the Eggplant Caponata sounds as interesting as your whole account of time spent with your friend.  I will try it though -   I want to be just like your friend Charlotte when I grow up!  She sounds as sharp as a tack - and still knows how to enjoy life.  Glad to hear you enjoyed Pearl Buck's "Christmas Day in the Morning."  (It's in the heading just in case you missed it.)
 Rosemary, I'm not sure I can make those reindeer cakes - mine will end up a mess, I'm sure - though they sound like something the grandkids would adore.

Here's the cookbook - before the additions... Our Favorite Holiday Recipes

Bellamarie - agreed, memories are extra-poignant this time of year.  Steph, Barb -  and all  who have lost loved ones - we will never fully understand your particular loss, but can feel your pain.  Hopefully it will take the edge off a bit - just knowing that we really do care.

Loved the John Jacob Niles on the dulicmer, Barbara - am playing it now as I type this.  

nlhome

« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2010, 08:59:56 PM »
Barb, I hope you do find the Prairie Fume. It's very popular around here - a good local wine.

My daughter and I visited the winery this summer as part of a day of exploring - it was a beautiful place, and we enjoyed sampling a few of the wines and then buying a few bottles to take home.

I had to look up Grolsche - I'm not an ale drinker, but the combination of tastes you described made my mouth water. What a fun meal with a good friend.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2010, 09:58:22 PM »
Just one more for tonight - these two boys are precious - give them just a minute till they get over their stiff shyness because they are a treat to watch - they are playing Mountain Dulcimers where as the other is a Hammered Dulcimer -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKIDRltkJ5A&feature=related

nilhome you remind me that I still have not visited the winery's in this area - there are a few now and your sharing what sounds like a lovely excursion that you had with your daughter reminds me to add that to my list of things to do.

Rosemary where is that recipe now -  you said - you said - come on now... ;) :D :-*

Steph

« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2010, 06:25:14 AM »
Caponata. Oh me, that brought back a flood of memories. I once had a neighbor who made it. I thought I hated eggplant, but I did love that. She doubled up onthe olives. and had both black and green in it. But it is soooo good.
 am still on the laptop, but sooner or later  they will bring back my big pc.. Oh please.. I cannot use my printer until they do since it is tied to the big one and I dont want to mess up the programming.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2010, 07:00:11 AM »
If those are not the cutest little boys! Thank you for that Barbara and for the lovely story of you and your friend, that's wonderful, and a new recipe too!

Pearson I love the Recipe page, that's a real keepsake! What a wonderful heartwarming discussion this has turned out to be!

Salan, we must start a club!  The Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Sandwich Society, now we're three!

We still do a live tree, now my grandbaby and his daddy pick it out and cut it down here and bring it in. It's cedar where I grew up with frasier fir, I miss the smell but have found putting up no end of fresh garland does the trick as well. In fact my son  has planted a small row of cedar trees for this purpose which he trims throughout the year.

Of course you can do your own garland if you're talented enough from your own cuttings.

My DIL just brought me Sunday a wreath for over the mantel and two wreaths for the cemetery. My mother started a tradition at the old historic cemetery where she is now buried of live wreaths on the graves and now the entire cemetery, all these years later is gorgeous. This year my DIL made me two beautiful  wreaths for the graves of  my parents, out of greenery she got here to do a seminar at her garden center on wreath and garland making, and they are just wonderful.  Cedar, pine, holly and berries, and some...can't think of the name of the plant, spotted leaves, but they are wonderful.

I would give anything to be able to do what she does with greenery, but it's not my talent.

Babi

« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2010, 08:55:35 AM »
 BELLA, what a lovely idea, planting a perennial each year in honor of your
Mother. I envy you in a way. My own Mother died when I was just 13. I never really got to know her as an individual; she was still just 'Mother'.

SALLY, what on earth did you children do with a whole coconut?!
As I'm sure you all can well believe, all gift giving occasions included a
new book for me. I expected one and I got it! As soon as all the presents
were open, I usually took my new book aside to start reading it. When I was young, my grandmother (who hadn't much to spend) always gave me a coloring book and a new box of crayons. That was also an expected and welcome favorite.
Those are the gifts I remember; I never was particularly fond of dolls.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2010, 10:15:46 AM »
So many wonderful traditions here -- the greenry, the food, the presents.  We always had an advent calendar with little pockets holding ornaments to hang on the calendar's felt tree.  As they got older (and wiser) my children benevolently tried to juggle their turns emptying the pockets in order to be the one who got the star on Dec. 24. "Oh, you can go first."

Remember the Ideals Magazine – all glossy, with lots of pictures, poetry, and stories.  They came out quarterly?  bi-monthly?  I don’t know and I don’t know how we happened to have them, somebody must have passed them on to us. But I loved them, especially the Christmas ones, and it was there that I first encountered Eugene Field’s Jest ‘fore Christmas -- ---

Father calls me William, sister calls me Will,
Mother calls me Willie, but the fellers call me Bill!
Mighty glad I ain’t a girl—ruther be a boy,
Without them sashes, curls, an’ things that’s worn by Fauntleroy!
Love to chawnk green apples an’ go swimmin’ in the lake—
Hate to take the castor-ile they give for bellyache!
‘Most all the time, the whole year round, there ain’t no flies on me,
But jest ‘fore Christmas I’m as good as I kin be!

Here’s a link to the complete poem

Just 'fore Christmas

hats

« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2010, 02:14:34 PM »
Hello old friends and new,

I've lost my way around. I would like to ask first quick questions "where is Bubble, Marj, MaryZ? Please tell me. Thank you.

hats

« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2010, 02:15:57 PM »
Ginny, are you alright?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2010, 02:47:38 PM »
Hats --- how great to see you post - hope all is well and the holiday season is good to you...

Today my body is working - yep, it warmed up - It is a lovely day - the official is only in the low 60s but the sun on the patio that spills into my breakfast room and den shows 70 on the outside thermometer. The sky is blue and all is well...

Yes Pedln, I remember the Ideal Magazine - it was a quarterly as I recall and we could only find it in the one magazine store downtown - we used to have a store, that I can no longer remember the name that sold newspapers and magazines from all over the world - I think this was back when LBJ was president and I bet the shop existed because of all those who came to Austin when he came to town - this was also before the days of Barnes and Noble and Borders Book Store, who sell international magazine, back when we only had the small independent book stores.

Oh look - eBay is selling a Christmas issue of Ideals Magazine - looks like there are other issues available as well.http://tinyurl.com/28z3ywb As I recall the illustrations were wonderful - frame-able wonderful.

Sally with you and I living so close - after the holidays we just have to meet for coffee -  I would actually love to meet up with you in Llano - I understand there are some darling shops in town -  or we could split half way and meet in Burnet - I need to get out that way - I've been flirting with the idea of moving - I love Austin but this house is too much and I still want a garden -  With the projected cost of utilities I really need to get into at least the Pedernales Electric and if I am doing that I may just go out further - so I want to poke around this Spring and see where I think I may be comfortable - it will take me a year to get this house ready for the market. Next year I will be 45 years in this house.  

Steph both green and black olives hmmm   - although, I cannot imagine how that dish could have been better. I need to prepare it for my daughter's family when I am there for the holidays. I am still determined to play with Ginny's squash recipe and make it into a thick filling soup and Rosemary's antlers on muffins sound like fun - I never have fooled around with bakers chocolate - in coffee, yes - unsweetened mixed with store bought chili sauce to make a poor mole, yes and of course a treat while Mall shopping has to include a piece of Godiva - with all of that I just have not experienced yet baking with chocolate - it will be a new venture.

Ginny isn't it fun having little guys to play with again - like so many of us in this group, we cherish our young mom and grandmother memories - what I find astounding is to see and hear how the grands when they are young men find it important to include activities in their lives that were because of things we did when they were 4,5 and 6 years old. At the time I do not think it occurs to us that we are adding to the pot called the culture of a society.

This week's Pearl S. Buck story is pulling at me - we talk little about it, I think to keep a low profile but I wonder if there are ways anyone has found to offer help that does not cost money or if it does, very little money - this article in the Portland Oregon paper caught my eye http://portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=129185404227580500 I have not heard of this group -  here is the web site the article talks about http://wevegottimetohelp.org/

Most of us are not out of a job although, there may be some we know who have not found their retirement legs yet - but never mind trying to solve problems for other folks - I would love some ideas of things to do or ways to help that do not cost money - oh there are the  usual of donating time at homeless shelters or to a church group who prepares weekly meals for the housebound and then there is all the "stuff" we are now trying to downsize - and after we found we cannot even get 10 cents on the dollar for it we might just as well donate it to whatever group is local -

By the way I have lost track of a lot in the past few  years - are we still active donating books to the Native American children or to women in prison? Beyond those tried and true ideas - does anyone have any other ideas for inexpensive or free ways to help...

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2010, 02:51:12 PM »
Oh my goodness, look who's here! HATS!! I thought of you the entire time I was posting this, now just go look at this, and join me here under the eagle blubbering: http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=1981.msg97626#msg97626

Where have you BEEN?

MaryZ is here in the library,  and so is I hope marjifay, look up at the top of the page on the bar for Discussion Index and you'll find her in there. Bubble I think is on Seniors & Friends.

Your ESP must be working overtime!

Welcome home!   This is a perfect Holiday Reunion!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2010, 03:07:55 PM »
what I find astounding is to see and hear how the grands when they are young men find it important to include activities in their lives that were because of things we did when they were 4,5 and 6 years old.

That is beautiful, Barbara, from your lips to God's ears, I hope my grandbaby remembers me. :)

By the way I have lost track of a lot in the past few  years - are we still active donating books to the Native American children or to women in prison? Beyond those tried and true ideas - does anyone have any other ideas for inexpensive or free ways to help...

We are no longer donating books to SeniorNet's Native American initiative, and the Prison Library Project sort of ended (somewhat) with our move here. We still continue to broker books from the PEN/ Faulkner, this year they went directly to the librarian at the York Correctional Institute (where Wally Lamb volunteers) who was glad to have them, and until this year we also donated books librarians in two local prisons not far from   me  had requested (they ask the inmates for books they want to read) for Christmas. Prison library budgets get slashed as I'm sure anybody can imagine.

The Prison Library Project however did end with a lot more than 7,000 books donated, which is something we can all feel proud of. Thank you for asking, I am pleased to be able to talk about it.

On this website as well when anybody goes thru our Amazon links  we get a nice percentage and it does not work as it did on SeniorNet, going thru our link takes one directly to his own account. In this way, people who have been good enough to use our link are supporting the website, which we appreciate very much.

Thank you all!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2010, 03:35:38 PM »
HATS!!!! WELCOME, WELCOME! We've missed you! Don't leave us again.

When we moved, we kind of split. The books discussion is here, and the other discussions in Seniors and friends. Bubble is very active over there. Back in a minute with a link.

Here is the Seniors and Friends home page. Bubble is all over the place: I see her in "classical corner. I imagine she's in photos. I'll tell her you're looking for her.

http://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php

mabel1015j

« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2010, 04:53:36 PM »
Hi Hats, welcome back! Bubble is on the knitting page at Seniors and Friends, also.

Now if we can just find Jackie..............jean

nlhome

« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2010, 07:46:04 PM »
Ideals. I remember reading those. In fact, my mother used to buy issues at garage sales for her "gs gifts" at Christmas, which we all looked forward to because they were always true surprises. I buy each of my children and their significant others and the grandchild a book at Christmas - if I have the opportunity, I also find them used books, often jokes.

Barb, your comment about the local wineries brought back good memories. We try to visit one or two on our travels, and this summer my daughter and I visited one here and one near her South Dakota home and enjoyed our visits very much. The Wollersheim winery has flowers as well, a lovely place.

We're having a white Christmas here.