Author Topic: Clara and Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland Prediscussion  (Read 20161 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Clara and Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland Prediscussion
« on: March 29, 2011, 10:42:59 AM »
CLARA and MR. TIFFANY

by Susan Vreeland

"For a century, everyone assumed that the iconic Tiffany lamps were conceived and designed by that American master of stained glass, Louis Comfort Tiffany. Not so! It was a woman!" (Susan Vreeland)

Vreeland captures Gilded Age New York and its atmosphere--robber barons, sweatshops, colorful characters, ateliers from the  voluminous letters belonging to the Tiffany glass studio manager, Clara Driscoll, discovered by the author

"Susan Vreeland has once again revealed the people and the stories behind Art. “Clara and Mr. Tiffany” makes for compelling and enjoyable reading. It’s a good story that happens to be based on fact. An Afterword defines which of the book’s details were real and which ones were filled in by the author’s imagination." (Amazon review )
Please post here if you can join us in May.
We'd like to invite Susan Vreeland to join us

Discussion Schedule:

May 2-8   Chapters 1 – 12   p. 101

Related Links:  NPR Interview with Susan Vreeland;    Morse Museum, Winter Park, FL - World's largest collection of Tiffany glass;

Discussion Leaders:  Pedln  & Annie

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Clara and Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 10:52:13 AM »
Can hardly believe the winter is over - MAY will be here before we know it!  Have you read any of Susan Vreeland's other novels?  Luncheon of the Boating Party?   It is difficult to call them "novels"  because they are based on solid facts.  More aptly, historical fiction.  Susan's imagination makes history and art really come alive.

How she came about writing of the Tiffany lamps is the foundation of the story.  We hope you will join us in this discussion.  If enough interest is shown, we can invite Susan Vreeland into this discussion.  That would be an extra treat!

Looking forward to hearing from YOU.

serenesheila

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:55:30 PM »
JOAN, count me in.  This sounds interesting.

Sheila

Steph

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 06:08:43 AM »
I am in. I am trying to fit the book into a busy schedule since I am in both April discussions, but for my home library, I am in charge of this years Literary Adventure.. And that is???? Clara and MR. Tiffany. We will spend one day discussing both the book and the history of Tiffany and the second day, We live close to the Morse Museum in Winter Park, Fl. and we will bus over and spend the day looking at the glass itself..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 07:11:51 AM »
Welcome, welcome, Sheila and Steph!  Aren't we all just saying "yes"  to life, as we cram so much into our busy schedules?  Aren't we lucky that we are able to!  Steph, I'm going to have to find some Tiffany to look at during the discussion.  Don'[t you think the Smithsonian would have some?   I don't even know anyone with a Tiffany lamp these days.  Plenty of imitations around, but I want to see the real thing.  We'll rely on your description after your field trip to the Morse Museum.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 03:09:05 PM »
Sheila and Steph, welcome.  I’m so glad you will be joining us.  This seems like a book made for you, Steph.  I remember reading earlier, somewhere here, about your plans for your library’s special day.  It’s enough to make one start heading down to Florida.  Please take great notes so you can tell us all about it.

This is the first Susan Vreeland I will have read, just now having downloaded it to my Kindle.  And truthfully, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a real Tiffany lamp.  Maybe on paper, but never out in full bloom.  Perhaps if we’re lucky one will show up on Antique Roadshow before the end of May.  JoanP, I do hope you find one at the Smithsonian.  Surely there is one someplace in the DC area.  Take your camera.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 08:43:38 AM »
Pedln, you are in for a treat!  What I like about Susan Vreeland  - she does her research for her fiction.  Really sound historical fiction.

Steph, when did you say you were going to the Morse Museum?  Pedln found the link in the heading.  This museum is said to house the world's largest collection of Tiffany glass.  Uh oh - they have a museum shop!  You're in trouble. :D

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 10:34:01 AM »
Tiffany windows seem to be everywhere. 

Here in the Heartland:

"...Then we went to Dubuque's "jewel in the crown" St. Luke's United Methodist, which has the largest collection of Tiffany Art Nouveau windows in the country. Every piece of glass is a Tiffany!"

http://www.garyolsen.com/Stainedglass.html
{Gary is a noted artist in Iowa}

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Luke's_United_Methodist_Church_(Dubuque,_Iowa)

and I also saw some on Martha's Vineyard last Sept:

http://www.standrewsmv.org/about.html
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church   
Edgartown, Massachusetts
On the Island of Martha's Vineyard

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 06:22:22 PM »
I love that little church in Edgartown, Jane.  Didn't know there was any Tiffany there though.  And Dubuque has a collection.  And Winter Haven, FL?  I searched the Smithsonian in DC  - found only one floor lamp.  I've always thought of NY as Tiffany Central.  Will search the Met next.

I'm hooked on the Tiffany.  Not sure that I EVER saw the real stuff.  There are so many faux imitations.  Can't wait to read Susan Vreeland's book - and see what she found on Clara Howard.

Probably won't get any Tiffany glass for myself in this lifetime but found this Address Book for sale at the Met in NY.  And I've been looking for a new one too!

http://store.metmuseum.org/American-Decorative-Arts/Tiffany-Address-Book/invt/14010128

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 08:07:26 PM »
Jane, thank you so much for posting that information.  I take it you have been to Dubuque -- or going soon.  What a wonderful fundraiser Gary Olsen and his colleague put on to raise funds for charity.  The stained glass is beautiful.  So what they did was create a poster with photos of stained glass throughout the city, and made calendars as well.  What a wonderful idea.

I'm thinking that many of us may have Tiffanys in our environs and not be aware of it.  Some of them may even be attributed to Clara Driscoll.  We may have to go on a scavenger hunt.

JoanP, surely there is more than one in DC.  New York, at the Met, definitely.  But maybe, in our own back yards.  Let's look.

Tiffany Dome in a Bar

The link above shows Tiffany in an unlikely place -- a bar in Mendocino, CA.

CallieOK

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 08:08:33 PM »
Count me in, please.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 08:54:29 PM »
Callie, that's wonderful.  I'm glad you'll be with us.  Be sure to let us know if you find any Tiffanys in Oklahoma.  By the way, I was volunteering at the library today and on the "Friends" sale there was a copy of Billie Letts' Shoot the Moon.  Have you read it?  I was tempted to get it, but decided it if was meant to be it would still be there in two weeks.  I didn't realize she had written something else besides Where the Heart Is.

I am having so much looking for Tiffany works in different places.

Union Station Mariott Hotel
St. Louis

CallieOK

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 10:50:49 PM »
Pedln,  I will go on a search for Tiffany's in Oklahoma.  Surely some of those early oil barons managed to get a few for their mansions.  :D
Edit:  "Seek and ye shall find"!   The Burnett Mansion in Sapulpa Oklahoma (near Tulsa)

I've read all four of Billie Letts' novels.  I don't particularly like the picture she paints of Oklahomans - but, unfortunately, it's pretty accurate about a certain segment of the population - particularly in the eastern/southeastern parts of the state.

"Where The Heart Is" and "The Honk and Holler Opening Soon" were written while she was a professor at Southeastern State University in Durant, OK - not far from where I grew up.
 I think "Shoot The Moon" and "Made In The USA" (pub. 2008) may have been written after she moved to Tulsa, where she lives now.

"Honk and Holler..." has a character named Caney, which is a tiny town near Durant.  BL did a book signing at a local bookstore and when I met her, I commented on this. She signed my book   "To Callie, who knows where Caney got his name".

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 08:42:50 AM »
Good morning, Callie...our Oklahoma representative!  Happy to have you with us!  Glad to hear you will be joining us in this discussion.

Now THAT is a train station!  I feel like taking a train to/through St. Louis jjust to see that window, Pedln!  

Here's a question that just occurred to me...is there a relationship between Louis Comfort Tiffany of Tiffany glass - and the Tiffany Jewelry family - both of New York? Does anyone know?  

CallieOK

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
Joan,   :D    I'll try not to sound like an Oklahoma Chamber of Commerce - but there are so many who aren't familiar with Oklahoma authors, history, etc.   Since I'm a Education Docent at The Oklahoma History Museum, it's hard for me not to "teach" about my state.
(For instance, did you know that the only "skyscraper" designed by Frank Loyd Wright and constructed is in Bartlesville, Oklahoma?)

It takes a little work, but if you click on the Burnett Mansion link - then on Pictures - and then on the painting to the right (Interior Pictures) and look for thumbnails that show light fixtures or windows, you will see some of the Tiffany pieces.
Unfortunately, none of the pictures are labeled for provenance or other information.

Gumtree

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 01:27:35 PM »
I guess I'll come to this party - the glass is so fantastic. - and Vreeland does the job on this sort of thing.

I rather thought the jewellery firm was founded by Louis Comfort T's father?
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 07:23:21 PM »
Gumtree, that’s great that you’ll be with us.  And I think you’re right about Louis Tiffany’s father.

Charles Lewis Tiffany, founder of Tiffany & Co. in 1837, succeeded in providing the elite with classic silver jewelry. A recognized blue box and white ribbon has been the staple for Tiffany & Co., enticing buyers since the beginning, such as Queen Victoria of England, and to this day keeps with Tiffany’s vision of timeless, elegant pieces.

But Louis C Tiffany also designed jewelry.  The necklace in the link below is attributed to him, or at least the design is.

Tiffany necklace

JoanP, get off the train at the new Gateway Station and walk one block west to the old Union Station,  which has been completely renovated into shops, restaurants, and hotel.  A fun place to spend the day.

Callie, the Burnett Mansion must have been the showplace of the times back in 1911.  I followed your directions and saw the Tiffany windows.  I gather it’s privately owned by individuals or a foundation?

CallieOK

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 07:34:49 PM »
Pedln, I didn't know about the Burnett Mansion until I found it by Googling "Tiffany Glass Oklahoma".  I would assume that some sort of foundation or association manages it but have no idea who owns the property now.
I'm sure it was the showplace of the times in Sapulpa - but there were far more elaborate mansions in Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Ponca City and other oil rich centers.

It occurred to me that I don't know the history of Tiffany glass.  I'll try to remedy that by May  :) - but wondered if the lamps and windows in a 1911 home would be considered "the real thing".
Of course, many of these early oil barons bought original art, marble, etc. all over the world and had it shipped in.

Laura

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 06:52:13 AM »
I'll be here for the May discussion!  I discussed Luncheon of the Boating Party with many of you, which was a great learning experience and fun too!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 10:14:10 PM »
That's great, Laura.  We're so glad to have a Vreeland reader with us.

And this book is already showing us what a learning experience it will be.  Callie, I think that as we read and discuss the book we'll learn much about the history of Tiffany glass.

CallieOK

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 11:15:21 PM »
It's on my Reserve list at the library and I think I'll get my turn just about in time for the discussion.

salan

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 05:27:10 AM »
Count me in!
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 10:02:36 AM »
Good good, Sally, Laura - a good group and a fun book.  You'll really be surprised at Susan Vreeland's discovery- and our ventury into the world of Tiffany.  Amazing that Tiffany glass and jewelers are the same family, father and son, isn't it?

See you all soon!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 10:44:54 AM »
Sally, that's great.  I'm glad you'll be with us.

I've been having a ball looking at Tiffany and/or glass sites online, found by going to Google Images and typing Louis Tiffany.  (If you just type Tiffany you'll get some other things as well)

Here's one from today's "oohs" and "ahs"

Peace of Glass

JoanR

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 12:55:10 PM »
Hi- I'll be reading the book along with you all.  My husband and I have always been interested in stained glass - particularly windows.  He himself made 3 large stained glass windows for our dining room and a smaller one for the hall many years ago. Enough windows for our kids to divvy up when the time comes for this house to go!  He can't work with glass anymore - it takes a very steady hand.

We live about 10 miles from Cold Spring Harbor where Tiffany had his estate - sadly no longer existing; it must have been so magificent!  Here's a link to a great article with a lot of detail on the place:

http://antiquesandthearts.com/Antiques/CoverStory/2011-01-25__10-58-30.html

and another article which has a slide show of some of the work:

http://www.metmuseum.org/explore/Tiffany/lau_02.html

JoanR

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 12:59:13 PM »
My message box looked full so I've continued here.  I should have typed my message in Notepad & pasted it in reply. Forgot!!!

All I had left to say was that a good bit of the Cold Spring Harbor mansion has been transpoted to Florida where I hope Steph will be able to see it .
Seeme odd for it to go so far away!
My book should be arriving today!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 12:51:58 PM »
JoanR, that's greatthat you will be with us, and wonderful to hear about your own windows made by your husband.  Get out your camera, take some pictures.

Thanks for the links, especially the one about Laurelton, the Tiffany home.  84 rooms!!! 25 bathrooms (how thoughtful -- no lineups there).  But how sad that such a place fell into such disrepair.  And how fortunate for us that there were people who gave of themselves to preserve as much as possible so that others could see and enjoy.

I understand that the Queens Museum of Art also has a Tiffany collection -- the Neustadt Collection -- on long-term display.  Have you been there?  Are you familiar with it?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 02:45:33 PM »
Judy,
Are you joining us here for the discussion?  Haven't seen you around lately.

I am having an unusual experience with Clara and Mr Tiffany!  At first, I was disappointed with it but this morning, it all came together for me and now I can't put my computer down as I am reading it there.  NO LIBRARY LOANS ARE AVAILBLE AT THIS TIME!  They are all taken and I am 55th in line, so I checked out an  ebook on my laptop.  and Barbara Vreeland has once again captured my interest in art.  I took classes for doing stained glass but this book goes way beyond and with all the links here, we will be discussing it 'til midnight every day!

http://www.morsemuseum.org/

I toured this little museum many years ago and was most impressed with the Madonna and Child window on display. The depth of the window was truly impressing.  From reading the book, I now have an idea of how they did that!   Incredible!
I used to do stained glass for a hobby until I found myself doing it out in the kitchen on the middle counter, and realized if I didn't stop, we'd soon be eating glass slivers in our scrambled eggs.  Moved to the basement, moved to California and returned to quilting and forgot all about the glass stored in the garage.

Looks like we have a great group of readers here and I look forward to the discussion.

Oh, JoanR, do take some pictures of your stained glass windows and bring them here.

"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 03:02:44 PM »
Well, after reading the article about the Morse Museum's large new exhibit of Tiffany art,  I believe that I should be visiting family in Orlando just so I can visit this new part of the museum.  What was on display back in earlier days didn't impress me much except for that window.  Lots of smaller stuff but I didn't know anything about Tiffany's works so wasn't too interested.

In searching for an Ohio Tiffany piece, this is all that I found so far:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/don-iannone/2874947939/in/photostream/

And another:http://wazopia.blogspot.com/2008/07/tiffany-glass-window.html
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2011, 11:43:13 AM »
Here's the largest mural by Tiffany in Philadelphia.
http://atlasobscura.com/place/tiffany-glass-mural-the-dream-garden

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »
A wonderful link.  I was trying to figure out if it was inside or outside, and see that it was originally designed for the lobby of the Curtis Publishing Center.

In June of 1998, Dream Garden was sold to casino owner Steve Wynn, who planned to move it to Las Vegas. Philadelphia historians, artists, activitists (notably the Arts Defense League), and press protested the proposed move — and the Pew Charitable Trusts agreed to provide $3.5 million to the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in order to purchase the important work. The work is now owned by the Pennsylvania Academy, and is permanently installed in its rightful home in the Curtis Center lobby.

Though there was an attempt to sell the mural for 9 million dollars to a casino owner in the late 1990s, Philadelphia designated the mural a "historic object" putting a stop to the sale. Eventually ownership of the mural was handed over to be jointly shared by four Philadelphia cultural institutions.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 10:39:03 PM »
Are you all still here?  I hope everyone has been able to get a book.  I've started, am not too far along yet, but am just amazed at the depth and breadth of what is included.  It's not only Tiffany Glass, but New York City in the Gilded Age,  the plight of and lives of those new to our shores, and surprisingly, The Columbian Exposition of 1893 in Chicago.  Remember Erik Larson's Devil in White City?

Susan Vreeland was fortunate enough to come upon letters written by Clara Driscoll.  My understanding is that two different parties each had letters,. But neither party knew about those of the other until much later when someone researching Tiffany designs was able to bring them together.  What a treasure trove.

“Clara’s letters reveal many facets of her work at Tiffany Studios,
iincluding her work as a designer, and her interactions with her staff
and the Tiffany managers. The two collections of correspondence
are Round Robin letters written by Clara, her three sisters, her mother  and
occasionally other relatives.  Each person penned a weekly account of their lives, and then the letters were circulatedt among the family members. The letters were assigned a number corresponding to the week, and then gathered together at the end of the year “
(Sotheby's)

What a neat idea.  Have you ever done that? 

salan

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 05:09:48 AM »
I am still waiting for my library to get the book.  I may have to break down and order it.
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 07:48:15 PM »
I'm number 6 of the 8 copies our Library system owns, Sally.  Still hoping...

Laura

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2011, 02:31:57 PM »
I finished the book last night and loved it!  It drew me right in.  I thought it was even better than Luncheon of the Boating Party!  I hope you all get your library copies in time for the discussion.  Don't worry, no spoilers! 

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2011, 05:04:14 PM »
Laura, that's wonderful, and great news to hear how well you liked it.  I've been reading it on Kindle, but the library here finally got it, and if it ever stops raining I'll get over to pick it up, check page numbers again etc.    The schedule will be up soon, but for the first week we'll be talking about the first 12 chapters.

(Don't let that scare you, folks, the chapters are not very long at all.  Some are just a few pages.)

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2011, 02:47:22 PM »
I picked up the book at the Library this morning and if no company comes (I'm not expecting a sister again but one never knows, I love them to come) I will join the group.

CallieOK

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2011, 04:01:29 PM »
I'm reading and enjoying the book but I'm not sure I care to dissect the characters and their actions.  However, I will be interested in following the comments of others - which usually leads to a few "Aha" moments.  :)

salan

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2011, 05:46:10 PM »
I am number l on the reserve list in my library.  Here's hoping.....
Sally

JoanR

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2011, 07:23:37 PM »
Pedln - while my Virginia daughter was here over the holidays, she took a picture of one of my husband's windows and has sent it to me via e-mail.  Of course I have not the foggiest notion of how to post it!!  Help!