Author Topic: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson - April 1  (Read 85080 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson - April 1
« Reply #400 on: May 03, 2011, 11:46:02 AM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand  by Helen Simonson

April Book Club Online  

"When Major Pettigrew, a retired British army major in a small English village, embarks on an unexpected friendship with the widowed Mrs. Ali, who runs the local shop, trouble erupts to disturb the bucolic serenity of the village and of the Major’s carefully regimented life.

"As the Major and Mrs. Ali discover just how much they have in common, including an educated background and a shared love of books, they must struggle to understand what it means to belong and how far the obligations of family and tradition can be set aside for personal freedom. Meanwhile, the village itself, lost in its petty prejudices and traditions, may not see its own destruction coming."  New York Times   (best seller)

"...a wry and witty love story set in a little English village where small town prejudices, and race and religious intolerances are alive and well. With gentle insight, the author captures the thrill of falling in love after 60 and the disruption romance can introduce into a well-settled life."

Discussion Schedule:

April 1-7 ~ Chapters 1-6]
April 8 - 15 ~ Chapters 7-12
April 16 - 24 ~ Chapters 13-17
April 25 - April 30 ~ Chapters 18-25
May 1-May 3 ~  Epilogue, Final Impressions, Visit with the Author

Questions from our Readers for Helen

1. Did you intentionally portray some of the characters as annoying - unlikable - unbelievable, even? Ferguson and Roger for example?

2. How common it is for quaint little villages in England to be developed into theme-park makeovers? Were you exaggerating a bit, or has it actually been happening?

3. I wonder if the Major saw himself in his son, and then was able to more objectively look at his own situation. I wonder if the author intended/planned to have the lives of father and son parallel or if it “just happened.” I know authors often talk about characters taking on lives of their own, doing unexpected things, etc. I could see this parallelism being planned or being a pleasant surprise. I wonder which is was.

4. Jasmina is so willing to make things better for people she loves - even when doing so diminishes the quality of her own life. Does she see it that way? Does Sandy represent the opposite - determined to have equal say-so or nothing at all? Does Grace represent the "middle" - wanting to have a life that suits her but bound by tradition to think/act otherwise? Are any of these characters stereotypes of the way women "ought to be"?

5. Your strong female characters, and men without consequence, bring to mind Barbara Pym's characters, who feel that love alone is not always enough reason for marriage. Have you read her novels? Do you feel they have influenced you?
Follow up - do you see the Major as a "strong" character?

6. The Vicar's reasoning against this mixed marriage upset quite a few. Can you tell us if he was mouthing Church teaching or expressing his own opinions based on what others might think?

7. When you decided on the title of your first novel, what did you have in mind as Major Pettigrew's LAST STAND? Do you agree that when he took a stand for himself and Jasmina, with the military pun intended,  because of his military background?

8. As an aspiring writer, can you tell me where you found the time to write with being a mother, wife etc.? Did you have a special space you made just for your writing? What time of the day or night did you find the best quality time for writing?

9. How long must we wait for your next book? I am a "forever fan" of yours.

10. Is there a film in the works? A sequel, perhaps? a TV mini-series?  

Discussion Leaders:  Barbara & JoanP

It is the bits of wisdom sprinkled through out that most impressed me - and glory be the hub bub at the dance was so well written -  
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #401 on: May 03, 2011, 11:46:49 AM »
A good question, Pedln.  You knew that George was important to the story.

Barbara mentions a film - Is there one in the works? A sequel, perhaps? a TV mini-series?  So many of the scenes would translate well to film - the dance, the duck hunt, the scene on the white cliffs...

Simonson

« Reply #402 on: May 03, 2011, 11:50:09 AM »
Running off to write now.  Second book is SLOW going when so many delightful invitations, such as this, come to tempt me away.  regards to all and feel free to email me at helen@majorpettigrew.com.  HS

Simonson

« Reply #403 on: May 03, 2011, 11:51:18 AM »
Yes, movie option signed.  Now we just hold our breath for up to five years or so!!!!  Goodbye all.  best, HS

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #404 on: May 03, 2011, 11:51:41 AM »
Yaaay!  We'll wait for word of the movie!  Maybe we don't have time for that  last question...I'll bring it to you on Thursday!
Thank you so much for your time, busy lady!  Wonderful interview!

Can't forget to ask about your next book...although we have to ask, when do you get a chance to write?

And this is a good time to ask this question from Bella, one of our readers - and writers-

"As an aspiring writer, can you tell me where you found the time to write with being a mother, wife etc.? Did you have a special space you made just for your writing? What time of the day or night did you find the best quality time for writing? "

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #405 on: May 03, 2011, 11:54:03 AM »
Thank you Helen and thank you Joan - as always you can hold things together under the best and worst of situations -  interesting Pedln hadn't thought of George as an emblem of the future but he is isn't he...Joan again, thanks this was a special treat...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #406 on: May 03, 2011, 12:04:40 PM »
Thanks to all of YOU - all I had to do was type in your questions.  And thanks to Helen for answering them so willingly and completely.  Bella, Sheila, I'll take your questions on to the book signing/reading in Arlington on Thursday pm.  (And will listen closely for clues to the author's next book!)

Laura, I see that this question go lost in the shuffle too - a good one to take to the reading on Thursday -

"I wonder if the Major saw himself in his son, and then was able to more objectively look at his own situation. I wonder if the author intended/planned to have the lives of father and son parallel or if it “just happened.” I know authors often talk about characters taking on lives of their own, doing unexpected things, etc. I could see this parallelism being planned or being a pleasant surprise. I wonder which is was."

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #407 on: May 03, 2011, 12:37:37 PM »
Now can we hear from those of you who had a different response to this book - who may have felt somwhat inhibited knowing the author was going to visit today?

Laura

« Reply #408 on: May 03, 2011, 01:35:16 PM »
Super discussion!  Thanks Joan and Barbara!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #409 on: May 03, 2011, 04:34:19 PM »
Thank you, Laura!

Here's this morning's interview - all in one place -

SeniorLearn Readers' Interview with Helen Simonson;[

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #410 on: May 03, 2011, 11:29:22 PM »
Many thanks, Joan and Barbara.  And everyone who participated.  It was a great discussion with many well-thought-out opinions.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #411 on: May 03, 2011, 11:37:04 PM »
Pedln, are you anywhere near the flooding in your area of MO?
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

bellamarie

« Reply #412 on: May 04, 2011, 12:49:46 AM »
Oh what a treat to come in and see Helen's discussion.  It was very gracious of her to take our questions and I giggle when I see once again our overactive minds have taken some of the characters to places she had no real intention for.  I love how we just disect and ponder ourselves beyond what the authors ever intended.

So our author did not see the humor we and other readers saw in the book, especially the Major.  I am shocked, because I found myself laughing out loud.  Another interesting point she made was she intended the Major to be a weak man.  I can now see how two or more people can read a paragraph or even a sentence and come away with an entirely different perceptive. 

JoanP and Barbara thank you so much for the fantastic discussion and the interview with Helen. Joan I am sure you will have a delightful time meeting her in person, and do let us know if you get the chance to ask her any of our other questions.  Thank you to all the wonderful posts, I really did enjoy the book and discussion even if I began late and played catch up.  This book will have a special place in my nook and I can see me reading it again.  Until we meet again.......

Ciao for now~
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Steph

« Reply #413 on: May 04, 2011, 06:21:17 AM »
 I was startled at the idea of the Major being weak.. I thought that he tried so very hard each day. So I guess it is in the eye of the reader on any story.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

salan

« Reply #414 on: May 04, 2011, 11:58:52 AM »
Steph,  I never thought of the Major as weak.  He behaved "weakly" in some areas; but I didn't feel he was weak.  A little set in his ways, but......

Thank you,  Joan and Barbara for a great discussion and the interview with HS.  You did a great job!
Sally

Gumtree

« Reply #415 on: May 04, 2011, 12:26:47 PM »
The Major didn't come across as being 'weak' to me either. I thought he was just very British - a tad old-fashioned for someone only 68? - certainly he was set in his ways and perhaps more than a trifle intolerant of others. But that was part of his charm and also a perfect device by the author so she could then have him 'unbend' little by little as Mrs Ali turned his preconceptions upside down.

I did think that HS wrote this with one eye firmly on a movie contract - well option anyway - it appears that it would be just too easy to adapt to film.

On the downside I do think HS touched on too many issues without being able to really work through them in sufficient depth in the space she allowed herself.

I'm sorry I didn't participate more often - Once again, I've been battling a recurrent virus which is out to 'get' me.

JoanP and Barb - thanks for all you do. The discussions with Simonson were truly excellent. She treated the questions you posed with respect and answered them fully.  Thank you both! Meeting her in Arlington should be a hoot.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #416 on: May 04, 2011, 12:50:44 PM »
Thanks for a good discussion.

And Joan, get a photo of you and Helen.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

bellamarie

« Reply #417 on: May 04, 2011, 01:49:20 PM »
Gumtree, I do hope you feel better soon.  I always love your thoughts and insight in our discussions.  I especially like and agree with this statement.

On the downside I do think HS touched on too many issues without being able to really work through them in sufficient depth in the space she allowed herself.[/i]

After reading H.S.'s comments I surmised she is a writer of great strength, but short on elaborating too much on one specific topic or interpretation of her characters.  Reading her answers to our questions left me seeing her as a no nonsense kind of writer/person.  We at senior learn have a thirst for depth on issues we see in our books we read.  Now don't misinterpret, I am in no way criticizing our author, but I agree that there were so many issues that could have been developed, but then again it would have had to be a much longer book to write and read and just possibly she left it to the reader to ponder and decide which direction to take the characters.  Many great authors are known to leave the reader thinking and wanting more....lol

JoanP, I found the answer to my question about how does H.S. find the time to write and does she have a certain place she does her writing. There is a section at the back of my book on my nook called, A Conversation with Helen Simonson..Random House Reader's Circle.

She state's "I struggle to maintain a proper writing schedule.  It has been a shock to discover that now that I am a published writer, I am still a mother and have a full plate of mom obligations, plus the appearances, writing assignments and office work that comes with promoting a published book.  Who knew being a writer was work!  I know that to write, I need to start first thing in the morning, with a mind empty of anything else, and to get out of the house.  I'm sharing an office space with some other writers, and going to "work" seems to help.  I have slowly come to the conclusion that this struggle to find consistencyand a good routine, and to pile up creative work, is the challenge of all creative people.  It is what separates the writer from the person who has an idea for a novel if they could just find the time."

I look forward to the movie, so let's all decide who we would like to play some of the characters...come on it will be fun!

Major Pettigrew......Hugh Grant
Mrs. Ali.................Penelope Cruz (aged makeup)
Roger...................Jude Law
Sandy...................Cameron Diaz
Abdul Wahid...........
Animina.................Rachel McAdams
George..................
Grace....................Kate Winslet
Mr. Ferguson...........Russell Crowe
Alice Pierce.............Kathy Bates  (tee hee)

i am at a loss for Abdul and George I kinda like Will Smith's little boy for George.  So let's see who you all come up with.  Okay got to go get ready for a Tim Magraw concerte tonight, am so excited!!

Ciao for now~

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #418 on: May 04, 2011, 10:53:58 PM »
We'll stay open another day or two to give everyone a chance to read Helen's remarks from yesterday - and to hear anything more about her next book.  What I love about reading an author's first novel - is seeing what s/he will write the second time around.  I love Helen's writing and am confident that  this  first novel is only the beginning.  To get published by Random House with a first novel...and go up to #12 on the NY Times best seller list -  I believe she can do it again.  Would love to find out how far along she is on the second book, and a clue as to what she is writing about... I'll let you know.

(Maryz- I promise to get a photo of Helen - one with both of us in the picture will depend on whether I can get someone to snap the picture - and whether I'm having a good hair day.) :D

Bella, since you have found the answer to your question, I'll  focus on Laura's question  tomorrow night-

Did she intend to have the lives of father and son parallel or did it just happen -
"  I know authors often talk about characters taking on lives of their own, doing unexpected things, etc. I could see this parallelism being planned or being a pleasant surprise. I wonder which is was."

Gum - if it's true that H.S. had an eye on a  movie contract as she wrote this, I'll bet the surprises just didn't happen...  But do you really think she was thinking of this?  It's only her first novel.

bellamarie

« Reply #419 on: May 05, 2011, 11:06:04 AM »
Gumtree, I suspect H.S. did not have an idea when she was writing this it would be considered a movie.  From the interview I have read, she was a bit surprised at how much her first book took off and became so popular.  I especially like this part of her interview:

Q.  What motivated you to pursue writing at this point in your life?
A.  "Being a stay-at-home mom is a 24/7 job with very little time off for good behavior!  It's been at once the most wonderful experience of my life and the most demanding.  Between the baby gym classes, wiping up apple juice, and trying to ensure both sons learned Latin and piano by kindergarten (I'm joking!), I was ready for some small intellectual and creative escape.  When modern dance and gardening failed to satisfy (I have two left feet and I hate weeding), I turned to a writing class.  Beginner Fiction at New York's 92nd Street Y saved my sanity,"

This does not come over to me as a writer intending anything more than self satisfaction and hope that others will like her work. I think its movie material because its so descriptive and relatable.  Her characters are so real to life and the little town Edgecombe St. Mary is painted so vividly in the novel that it makes the reader want to be there.  Any good producer would want to bring this book to the big screen.

Does anyone else have this interview in the back of their book or is this a special feature my nook provides, because all of the books I have purchased and downloaded into my nook seem to have these type of interviews in the back of the book.

JoanP, I will be thinking of you and wishing I were there in the room with you and our fine author.  Please come back and share with us.  Have a great time!

Laura

« Reply #420 on: May 05, 2011, 12:15:36 PM »
Bellamarie, my trade paperback has the same interview.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #421 on: May 07, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »
May 5.  One More Page - a tiny new bookstore in Arlington, VA

I arrived five minutes late - parking was a problem. Because of large turnout, time was spent trying to gather chairs for everyone. Finally, they gave up - standing room only, people were lucky to get in the door.

And there was Helen way up front, speaking of the "vagaries of the publishing world."  She described a book talk last week in NYC - the president of Random House was there - she listed a few other important people who were with him...and the EIGHT people who showed up to hear her speak and have books signed.  She wished they could have seen the crowd  (200?) in Arlington.  Her husband was there too - laughing at her description of life as an "established author."
She laughs at herself...a really droll sense of humor.  She seemed surprised at some of things we laughed at - as if she didn't understand why we were laughing.

Helen Simonson -  smiling eyes

She wrote the book as part of a Masters' Program in creative writing.  Started writing shorter pieces for magazine publication, until one day, she wrote a piece on the Major...who was instantly loved by her class - and her professor.  They all loved the Major - seemed to know him better than she did.  He seemed to take on a life of his own that day, and everyone wanted to hear more.  So she began to write about him, 20 pages for each class assignment, until it became clear after a while, that she was writing a novel.

The novel took FIVE YEARS TO WRITE - probably would have taken longer, but when the economy collapsed, it was time to stop the writing and get a proper job. Quickly she finished the book - the last EIGHT CHAPTERS she wrapped up in 6 weeks.  Frankly, she said, she didn't care any more - got tired of the Major and his inability to act..  When the time had come to get the book done, and the Major refused to come up with an ending,she ORDERED him to do something.  She would have liked to end it on the cliffs, but had trouble ending there.    (The Epilogue had been written earlier, so she knew how it would end.)

She revelled in her rejection letters that began, "Dear Writer".. Felt she now had a title. This was much better than "Dear Housewife."  You learn to live with rejection - it's a way of life, she said.  But after many rejection letters, I think she said 30, she heard from an agent with Random House and from then on, her life changed.  Shortly after it was published and she was told she was booked for a book tour, which was "simply exhausting,  brutal" - five star hotels, chauffeurs, restaurants, nail salons..."brutal"  She said she felt like a combination of Cinderalla and Pretty Woman - as if she had won the Literary Lottery.

About her characters -  

Everyone is made up.  Characters just pop into her head, little snippets stored away, but none based on a real person.    Once in her writing class in a short story, she did describe real people - who didn't recognize themselves!  

She said the Major isn't based on anyone at all.  She said that she has never described him, so that any number of people could play his role and still look like him - she has given no physical characteristics.  She will not be writing the screenplay for the movie.  Will leave that to people who are experienced bringing literary works to film.

The Pakistanis...she started out researching until she became overwhelmed.  Participated in message boards on-line with young Muslim people.  She tried to give the Pakistanis the same  problems everyone struggles with - especially class.

She mentioned little George - said she was pleased with the group who picked up on the fact that George was the Patron Saint of England - and that her George represented the future of England.  (That would be our group)

Her favorite character was Roger; he is an apology to her own parents.  ....He is made up of all the terrible things she ever said to her parents.  He represents the worst in all of us.  The more outrageous he became, the more she laughed.  It became difficult to make him three-dimensional.

The question on the parallels between the Major and his son came up...was it planned, or was it a surprise.  I had that one question typed up and in my hand from our group, ready to ask her.  Someone else asked and her reply was "you must be from that SeniorLearn group who has been dogging me for an answer  to that question."  I called out from the back - "that was us, but we really weren't dogging you"...We really weren't - we just asked the question- twice.  Was that "dogging?"  Helen turned to me and laughed and went on to say that it wasn't an easy question to answer.  She said you really shouldn't plan something like that.  You just toss in all of the ingredients...into a big bowl of spahetti and meatballs only without the bowl, and hope it all takes shape.  I'm not describing this as well as she did, but I think our question was answered.  Helen was right, there isn't an easy answer to that one.  When you work out and understand the character, the parallels will appear, even without planning.

Her next book - she is "morally opposed to sequels."  Those characters should be allowed to rest in peace.  Her New Characters are waiting for her, standing with bus tickets in hand, waiting for her to signal when they can get going.
I'm really looking forward to her next book - and relieved that we will see new characters from this talented writer.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #422 on: May 07, 2011, 01:39:24 PM »
Fabulous Joan - I am so pleased you gave us a picture of the event - interesting that the folks in New York were not as thrilled with the book as other areas - I wonder why? Well we certainly enjoyed it and could relate to the characters - and so that dry quiet humor is the style of Helen  herself - wonderful because I bet we can look forward to that same light humor poking into every subject matter even those that are serious.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #423 on: May 07, 2011, 01:44:26 PM »
Wonderful report, JoanP.  And now we know what YOU look like, too.  ::)

Gumtree

« Reply #424 on: May 07, 2011, 01:54:39 PM »
Great pic JoanP I see more than one set of 'smiling eyes'

Sounds like it was a bookie night to remember - I could use a little of the 'brutal' - 5 star hotels, restaurants etc ....

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Laura

« Reply #425 on: May 07, 2011, 04:31:23 PM »
Great summary, Joan!  Thank you for getting my question answered!

Frybabe

« Reply #426 on: May 07, 2011, 05:02:43 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to go and to give us such a great report, JoanP.

bellamarie

« Reply #427 on: May 07, 2011, 05:21:28 PM »
Joan,.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all her responses.  She sounds like she could be any one of us aspiring writers and it gives me such hope and anticipation to continue to persue my writing.  The rejection she speaks of is my biggest fear although a few of my works have been graciously accepted and put in print, I still have a long way to go.

I was about to leave out the door to go out to dinner with my hubby and just happened to see the email and am so glad I took the time to open it.  Joan you must have been so excited to meet H.S. and get a pic with her.  I have to share with all of you I went to the Tim Magraw concert and he was inches from me, smiled into my video camera and took my hand three times as he reached out into the audience in response to our squeals.  Oh at my age I felt like a screaming teen when the Beatles were famous.  lolol  Now to come in and see not only our Joan with Helen, but that she actually mentioned our group I have to say its pure joy!!

Happy Mother's Day to all our mothers in our group! 

Ciao for now~

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #428 on: May 07, 2011, 11:04:31 PM »
Many thanks, JoanP, for that outstanding report.  It was really good to read.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #429 on: May 09, 2011, 07:52:24 AM »
Thank you all!  I just wish you could have been there - or that I had thought to record Helen's remarks - she is SO funny - in that British way - in that Major Pettigrew way, perhaps.

All good things must come to an end.  At the end of the day, this discussion will find its way to our Archives - and a Readers' Guide will be available on the web.  Before signing off here, I would like to thank Barbara for her outstanding leadership and all of you for your many contributions - oh, and Helen Simonson for writing this delightful novel.  Needless to say, we are all looking forward to her next adventure!

You'll find this discussion in the SeniorLearn Archives!