Author Topic: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~  (Read 280764 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~
« Reply #320 on: July 10, 2010, 03:52:22 PM »

Suggestions for Future Discussions (titles=links to reviews)

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian
by Marina Lewycka

Kristin Lavransdatter Vol I - Bridal Wreath

The Finkler Question- Man Booker Prize
by Howard Jacobson

Mark Twain Autobiography Vol I
by Samuel Clemens

Vanishing Act"
by Thomas Perry

Lacuna
by Barbara Kingsolver

No, Frybabe, we haven't... - would you like to nominate one or both of Bradbury's books?  I was thinking that I'd like to try one of Ursala Le Guin's books...We seem to be thinking along the same line...  Her latest just won an award - you can read about it here. Cheek by Jowl

JoanR

« Reply #321 on: July 10, 2010, 08:00:50 PM »
I think Ursula LeGuin's "The Left Hand of Darkness" would make a good discussion.  I seem to remember that Michael Dirda of the Washington Post led a discussion of it back in the days of the Post's book club.  Anything Dirda recommends is OK for me anyway!  I had read the book myself before all that, though!

review:  Amazon.com Review
Genly Ai is an emissary from the human galaxy to Winter, a lost, stray world. His mission is to bring the planet back into the fold of an evolving galactic civilization, but to do so he must bridge the gulf between his own culture and prejudices and those that he encounters. On a planet where people are of no gender--or both--this is a broad gulf indeed. The inventiveness and delicacy with which Le Guin portrays her alien world are not only unusual and inspiring, they are fundamental to almost all decent science fiction that has been written since. In fact, reading Le Guin again may cause the eye to narrow somewhat disapprovingly at the younger generation: what new ground are they breaking that is not already explored here with greater skill and acumen? It cannot be said, however, that this is a rollicking good story. Le Guin takes a lot of time to explore her characters, the world of her creation, and the philosophical themes that arise.
If there were a canon of classic science fiction, The Left Hand of Darkness would be included without debate. Certainly, no science fiction bookshelf may be said to be complete without it. But the real question: is it fun to read? It is science fiction of an earlier time, a time that has not worn particularly well in the genre. The Left Hand of Darkness was a groundbreaking book in 1969, a time when, like the rest of the arts, science fiction was awakening to new dimensions in both society and literature. But the first excursions out of the pulp tradition are sometimes difficult to reread with much enjoyment. Rereading The Left Hand of Darkness, decades after its publication, one feels that those who chose it for the Hugo and Nebula awards were right to do so, for it truly does stand out as one of the great books of that era. It is immensely rich in timeless wisdom and insight.

The Left Hand of Darkness is science fiction for the thinking reader, and should be read attentively in order to properly savor the depth of insight and the subtleties of plot and character. It is one of those pleasures that requires a little investment at the beginning, but pays back tenfold with the joy of raw imagination that resonates through the subsequent 30 years of science fiction storytelling. Not only is the bookshelf incomplete without owning it, so is the reader without having read it. --L. Blunt Jackson --This text refers to an alternate Paperback edition.

Review
A jewel of a story. -- Frank Herbert

Another interesting SciFi book is "The Sparrow" by Andrea Doria Russell
      http://www.amazon.com/Sparrow-Mary-Doria-Russell/dp/0449912558

Frybabe

« Reply #322 on: July 10, 2010, 09:55:11 PM »
I'll second that nomination JoanR. I bought the book last year when it was nominated. It is still on my TBR pile.

Since I already nominated a book, I don't think I should nominate another in this round. A note on Fahrenheit 451: while browsing Amazon I discovered that there are "Cliff Notes" for the book. Someone must use the book in college courses.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #323 on: July 11, 2010, 07:04:32 AM »
Some very interesting suggestions lately!  I'm on the road these days, with limited computer access.  Will be home tomorrow and plan to spend more time considering the latest nominations for fall discussions.  Kidsal, somehow I missed your mention of "An Accomplished Woman" the other day - sounds like something our Jane Austen fans would go for - and we have quite a number of them here.

I'm with you, Nancy.  Am putting these titles on my TBR list, whether chosen for group discussion or no.  - Which of those titles suggested by JoanR is on your list?  Joan- I'm with you on anything Michael Dirda recommends.  'The Left Hand of Darkness" is on the list.  Will spend some time on other titles you've mentioned - manana.  Thank you!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #324 on: July 11, 2010, 04:37:11 PM »
"The Left Hand of Darkness" is a very good book.  I remember that Dirda was impressed with the evocative descriptions of the harsh wintry climate of the planet (that's background, not the point of the book).  The situation of a one-gender world has one looking at gender issues from an odd angle.  It also deals with issues of suspicion and trust, and a highly developed, rigid sense of honor.

But it is not a particularly easy read, making demands on the reader.  As with many of LeGuin's books, she takes time at the start to set up the situation carefully, so you understand the odd sociology and mindset involved, which means it gets off to a slow start.  And the political situation on the planet is somewhat complicated.  But as it gets going, and the action heats up, it gets quite exciting, and there are many memorable bits.  People who don't care for sci-fi might still like this book, as it's the "thinking what people are like" style, not the "Shoot-em-up space opera" style.

It's definitely got enough meat in it to make a good discussion, but the readers would have to be willing to give it a good try.  

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #325 on: July 11, 2010, 07:10:29 PM »
Frybabe, I loved both of those Bradbury books. They've both were discussed on the old seniornet.org website but, as Joan says, they haven't been discussed HERE. We have many participants now who were not part of those discussions, including myself. I'd love to talk about either of them.

Fahrenheit 451 in 2001. See archived discussion at http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/archives/fiction/Fahrenheit451.htm

Martian Chronicles in 2002. See archived discussion at http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/archives/fiction/MartianChron.html

I'd also love to be part of a discussion of "Left Hand of Darkness" and also LeGuin's latest non-fiction work, "Cheek by Jowl."

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #326 on: July 11, 2010, 07:19:19 PM »

"The Left Hand of Darkness" is a very good book.  I remember that Dirda was impressed with the evocative descriptions of the harsh wintry climate of the planet (that's background, not the point of the book).  The situation of a one-gender world has one looking at gender issues from an odd angle.  It also deals with issues of suspicion and trust, and a highly developed, rigid sense of honor.

But it is not a particularly easy read, making demands on the reader.  As with many of LeGuin's books, she takes time at the start to set up the situation carefully, so you understand the odd sociology and mindset involved, which means it gets off to a slow start.  And the political situation on the planet is somewhat complicated.  But as it gets going, and the action heats up, it gets quite exciting, and there are many memorable bits.  People who don't care for sci-fi might still like this book, as it's the "thinking what people are like" style, not the "Shoot-em-up space opera" style, but they will have to wait out the slow start.

It's definitely got enough meat in it to make a good discussion, but the readers would have to be willing to give it a good try.  

Babi

« Reply #327 on: July 12, 2010, 08:48:18 AM »
You're repeating yourself, PAT.  ::)  :D
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #328 on: July 12, 2010, 09:23:24 PM »
Ooops.  Somehow, when I changed a word my post doubled itself and I didn't notice.   :-[

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #329 on: July 12, 2010, 09:28:52 PM »
That's okay - it was a very good post - worth repeating! ;D

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #330 on: July 13, 2010, 01:44:19 AM »
Yes, definitely worth a second read!

Frybabe

« Reply #331 on: July 13, 2010, 03:16:25 PM »
Thanks, Marcie, for the links to the discussions of Bradbury's books. That was way before I discovered you all.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #332 on: July 13, 2010, 03:26:10 PM »
Fry, which of the Bradbury books would you like me to put up??  Both?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #333 on: July 18, 2010, 03:45:40 PM »
Read Pat Conroy's latest book, "South of Broad".  It would make a good discussion but nothing as serious as Ursulla Gann's book.  Too much for summer for me!  I seem to remember reading it long ago and far away.
Are you home and ready to go, JoanP.?
And JoanR, are you packed yet??? Oh, I forgot, you live in NY state, right?
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanR

« Reply #334 on: July 18, 2010, 07:47:49 PM »
Hi, Anne - N0, not packed yet!  But thinking about it.  Early in Sept. in NY can be quite warm.  I remember the kids sweltering in their new school clothes which they insisted on wearing although the temperature was still like summer!  We'll just have to keep an eye on the weather forecasts.  Have been busy casting counter-hurricane spells - here on Long Island we are particularly vulnerable and this year some demented weatherman has  predicted that it's our turn! Nope!  Won't happen!

I prefer to take buses wherever I go and I believe that Pedln is of a same mind.  I love the idea of sitting on a bench in the park on 14th St. with Pedln and Eloise and watcing the fascinating events unfold.  Good food across the avenue at Whole Foods and the Strand  down a block or two - there's a super movie theater further down in the viilage which always has something interesting and different although we won't be in NY to sit in a movie!  Just nice to know about it.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #335 on: July 23, 2010, 07:16:38 PM »
We've just now opened the vote for fall book discussions.  You can vote for your top choice in Part I of the poll and then in Part II click on ALL of those you would be interested in discussing at some time.  Some great choices - note that there are reviews linked to the book titles in the header in the Suggestion Box  if you are not familiar with some of them.  

Are you ready? -
  Click Here to Cast your Vote! -

Babi

« Reply #336 on: July 24, 2010, 08:28:29 AM »
 Done!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #337 on: July 24, 2010, 08:56:18 AM »
 :)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #338 on: July 28, 2010, 09:52:49 AM »
Do keep on voting!  You have until August 7 - the results so far have been very interesting and exciting!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #339 on: August 07, 2010, 04:10:20 PM »
The Results are in - and you all have selected quite an interesting group of THREE in the lineup for the Fall.

ZEITOUN (Eggers)- An American epic. Fifty years from now, when people want to know what happened to the once great city of New Orleans during a shameful episode of our history, they will still be talking about a family named Zeitoun
We will read and discuss David Egger's  Zeitoun in September with Ella and JoanK.  This is a true story, but as gripping as Fiction.   Just  opened today - Zeitoun .  Please drop in now and let them know whether you will be part of the discussion.

LEFT HAND OF DARKNESS (Le Guin) - Story of a lone human emissary's mission to an alien world. Groundbreaking science fiction hat leaves you thinking about gender issues, "nature vs nurture," nationalism and more.  Proposed for October

EXCELLENT WOMEN (Pym) - High comedy about a never-married woman in her 30s, which in 1950s England makes her a nearly confirmed spinster.Often compared to Jane Austen  Proposed for November

Babi

« Reply #340 on: August 08, 2010, 08:09:51 AM »
 Uh, errata there.  1950's England isn't the period of "An Excellent Woman".  I think that should be the 1750's.  The comparison to Jane
Austen is on the mark, only in this case the author is a man.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #341 on: August 08, 2010, 10:30:49 AM »
Babi, have you read Barbara Pym's  Excellent Women?  I just fininshed it - loved it.  It is set in post warII England.  She wrote the book early in her career as a writer - in 1952.  Becuase the book is quite short, I'm thinking that we might consider reading another more recent book of hers in the same month. Her Quartet in Autumn was shortlisted for the Booker Prize...more about Barbara Pym = http://www.barbara-pym.org/bio.html

salan

« Reply #342 on: August 08, 2010, 11:51:40 AM »
JoanP, I am confused.  Is Zeitoun for Sept or Oct?  Ditto for Left Hand of Darkness.  Is the title for Pym's book Excellent Women?  That's the only title I could find with excellent woman in it??  Sounds like all three titles will be interesting.  Count me in.

Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #343 on: August 08, 2010, 12:14:33 PM »
You're confused!  You should stand in my shoes and you'd know what confused really means!  Zeitoun will discussed in September - Ella and JoanK just opened the site yesterday - do drop in and let them know you will join them.  They will be delighted!

Barbara Pym wrote "Excellent Women" - not just one.  I'll go fix that error wherever I can find it...

Thanks for alerting me to the confusion!

Babi

« Reply #344 on: August 09, 2010, 09:01:13 AM »
Oops! My mistake, JOAN. I recently finished reading Jude Morgan's "An
Accomplished Woman", and confused it with the book you were posting about. I haven't read Pym's book.  :-[

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #345 on: September 29, 2010, 07:58:23 PM »
Babi - hopefully you will read Pym's book - Excellent Women and also her Quartet in Autumn in November with us.  More about those two very soon.

I did read Jude Morgan's "An Accomplished Woman" - and agree with you - it is an excellent book.  I have to smile at the idea that both Pym's Mildred and Morgan's Lydia are considered "spinsters"  at the age of 31!  Such a word!  Where do you think the term "spinster" comes from?

Babi

« Reply #346 on: September 30, 2010, 08:00:23 AM »
 Since you brought up the subject, naturally I had to find out.  Spinster comes from the ME
term 'spinsterre', a woman who spins.  Why that came to refer to a woman still single pas
a certain age, I couldn't say.  Maybe spinning was the most common occupation/pastime of
unmarried women of the middle ages.  The only way they could earn their keep, perhaps?
  I'll take a look at the Pym books, see it they hold my interest....if my library has them.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #347 on: October 07, 2010, 03:57:16 PM »
The holidays are not far off, Halloween is just around the corner, so it may not be too early  to think of books to discuss in the New Year.  There is a large offering of books out there in both nonfiction and fiction.

Barbara Kingsolver's Lacuna  was mentioned recently in the Library, a novel about the often fractious relationship between the United States and Mexico. It would make for a good discussion.  We really know little about the history of our neighbor to the south in the 20th century.

A great deal of attention has been paid by critics  and readers alike to a book published in the UK in 2008  with the title "The Other Hand". The Anerican edition came out in 2009 and is titled  Little Bee .  The author is Londoner Chris Cleave;   this is his second book.  Its publication in Britain caused enormous excitement because of the author's first book, "Incendiary" (2005),  a stunning success,  that won several awards and was made into a movie.

"Incendiary" is about an Al Queda attack targetingin London a soccer match and seemed eerily prohetic because on the very day the book hit the book stores,  there was a real terrorist attack on the London tube.  

So when  "The Other Hand" appeared  in Britain three years later,  there was some skepticism as to whether  the second book would be a "worthy" successor to the sensational first book.  That has since been confirmed.  

Chris Cleave has a background in journalism and  has written a column for the Guardian.   His attention to detail and his  careful timing in Little Bee attest to that.

Little Bee is a book of our times, gripping in its intensity.  It deals with topics and issues \of global importance,  one is (especially illegal) immigration and its impact on society. Even so  this is not a political book because it is not about abstractions, parties or factions, but about people from different worlds and cultures,  and how they might react when they collide.  
On the back cover of the American paperback, the author requests that readers not reveal the ending to their friends.  

It would be helpful in planning if we could hear from readers of this forum how tyhey feel  abaout taking on this book.  Suffice it to say, there are other choices.
Thank you in advance.
Traude

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #348 on: October 07, 2010, 06:20:50 PM »
It's time to select a title for our December group discussion.  Winter will be here before you know it!  Where is the time going?  We are looking for nominations for a good holiday book...one that is light, or uplifting - and maybe even give as a gift.
 Have you heard anything about Garth Stein's THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN?

From Bookmarks Magazine -
"A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life . . . as only a dog could tell it."

Thank you for posting these suggestions for the coming year, Traudee.  THere has been much said about "Little Bee" lately.  Here's a review from The Washington Post -

Little Bee

Mippy

« Reply #349 on: October 08, 2010, 01:35:43 PM »
Re: Garth Stein's The Art of Racing in the Rain

Oh, dear, not my cup o' tea at all.  What a disappointment.  And I loved the Marley book, not the movie version.

I think that the dog was made so human that I gave up on the book.  Not at all uplifting!

I tried a sample on Kindle and decided not to get the book.
What experience have others had?
quot libros, quam breve tempus

ALF43

« Reply #350 on: October 08, 2010, 02:00:58 PM »

Little Bee is a young woman with a past so damaging that it seems to negate the possibility of a future, but her tensile stubbornness keeps her going. "Take it from me," she says at the outset, "a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."
Any scar can form from a blemish to a terrible truama but to survive it- there's the rub!
Joan- That is a good quote from Little Bee that has prompted a great deal of thought since I read the story.  It's one of those stories that you continue to think about after you put the book down.

He has carved two indelible characters whose choices in even the most straitened circumstances permit them dignity -- if they are willing to sacrifice for it. "Little Bee" is the best kind of political novel: You're almost entirely unaware of its politics because the book doesn't deal in abstractions but in human beings.

The politics is a hidden issue in this story - it is not the theme of this novel.
I love the structure and the way that the story elements have been arranged by this author.
Let's get this out there and see who else might be interested in discussing this story.  Now this is worthy of us.  It's got meat and thought.  It made me think a great deal about the word FAITH!  I'll get into that later.

"Blessed are all the emotions be they dark or bright."
` Nathaniel hawthorne
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

ALF43

« Reply #351 on: October 08, 2010, 02:05:20 PM »
oops- I thought I was posting in the DLS and here I am! ;D
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Babi

« Reply #352 on: October 09, 2010, 09:21:15 AM »
 I have to agree with MIPPY.  I opened the book and read a short bit.  The
narrator...supposedly the dog...sounds entirely human.  What was the point
of pretending it was the viewpoint of a dog?  It so obviously wasn't.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #353 on: October 09, 2010, 09:31:43 AM »
Thanks, Mippy, Babi...

Let's consider something else more suitable then.  December is usually a busy month for everyone - something light and easy might be best.

Babi

« Reply #354 on: October 09, 2010, 09:45:40 AM »
 We must have been posting simultneously, JOANP, and mine got lost.
I mentioned that I've started reading "Vanishing Act", by Thomas Perry.
It's not a heavy book,  a suspense-type novel, but it is engrossing. More
to the point, it has fascinating background information on the Six Nations
of New York and the northeast...Seneca, Iroquois, etc.  Not to mention,
the fascinating mechanics of disappearing.  Plenty to discuss.

salan

« Reply #355 on: October 17, 2010, 04:49:49 PM »
I suggest that we do something light for December.  Something fast, easy to read, and upbeat.  Can't think on any right now, but will sleep on it.  Something with a Christmas theme would be nice.
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #356 on: October 17, 2010, 05:39:46 PM »
I agree, Sally!  We've had several suggestions - but we need something light as we all seem to be so busy in December, and yet want to share our high spirits with others here.  Yes, sleep on it and meet us back here.  I'll start entering the suggestions in the heading...

Jonathan

« Reply #357 on: October 18, 2010, 02:18:37 PM »
I would like to suggest:

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian, by Marina Lewycka.

It's described on the dust jacket as: "A wise, tender, deeply funny novel about an eccentric elderly Ukrainian widower in England and the struggles of his two feuding daughters to thwart the voluptuous young gold digger from the old country who sweeps him off his feet."

And about the author: "Marina Lewycka was born of Ukrainian parents in a refugee camp in Kiel, Germany, at the end of the war and grew up in England. She teaches at Sheffield Hallam University and is the author of six books on aspects of elder care. She is married, with a grown-up daughter, and  lives in Sheffield."

There are a hundred excited book reviews at this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Short-History-Tractors-Ukrainian-Novel/dp/1594200440

On the other hand, how about the latest Man Booker Prize winner, advertised as 'hilarious'.

The Finkler Question by Howard Jacobson,/very articulate and very funny, but also, in the end, very serious. I'm happy Jacobson won the prize. I've always felt he should have won it for his earlier book Kalooki Nights,, a history, as he himself put it I think, of 5000 years of Jewish kvetching, or learning the art of bitter humor as a means of defense.

JoanR

« Reply #358 on: October 18, 2010, 02:32:07 PM »
Thanks, Jonathan, for mentioning "Tractors" - that's a terrific little book, not too long and funny - good for December.  Your suggestion is better than mine which I had posted  in the library and will copy here:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the old original 3vol. set of Kristin Lavransdattar which I read 60 years ago!  Would love to re-read vol.1.

Another thought - since there is so much attention focused on Mark Twain (his original autobiography in 2 volumes is coming out this month) I thought we might do a Twain book - Huck Finn or " Conn. Yankee in King Arthur's Court" or something lighter such as "Innocents Abroad" although that's fairly long.

The Morgan Library in NY has a special exhibit on Twain and there is another at the NY Public Library.  Also should be quite a few articles, etc. once the books are in the shops.  I've ordered Vol. 1 from Amazon, vol.2 doesn't seem to be available yet.  Twain didn't want these books to be published until 100 years after his death since he was pretty free with his opinions of everyone and everything in them!!  Should be fun.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #359 on: October 21, 2010, 11:12:34 AM »

Salan - something light with a Christmas-y theme - did you sleep on this? Maeve Binchy came to mind -  but not sure...

JoanR, there is a bit of enthusiasm for Kristin Lavransdatter in the Library, I see.  I was thinking of that for a nice long winter discussion - maybe March?
Jonathan - the Tractor Title alone grabs one's attention!

I'll put these in  the heading with extra information and  links to reviews - as soon as I get back!  A work in progress.