Author Topic: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~  (Read 271482 times)

bluebird24

Re: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~
« Reply #680 on: December 13, 2011, 07:33:34 PM »

Currently selecting one of Charles Dickens' Classics for February-

~ Step One - Read Information on each title in the list below - (the book title is a link.)

~ Step Two -
Vote HERE (click this link to vote)

(Titles below are links to more information)

BLEAK HOUSE
~ (often considered Dickens' masterpiece, his finest work, though not his most popular.)

GREAT EXPECTATIONS
~ (An absorbing mystery as well as a morality tale, this novel contains a strong autobiographical elements.)

PICKWICK PAPERS
~ (Dickens' first novel:""If I were to live a hundred years and write three novels in each, I should never be so proud of any of them as I am of Pickwick.")

A Tale of Two Cities
~ (This is the  novel, which begins "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  set against the backdrop of the French Revolution.")

http://books.mirror.org/gb.dickens.html

you can read some stories online

bluebird24

« Reply #682 on: December 13, 2011, 07:39:37 PM »

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #683 on: December 13, 2011, 10:34:38 PM »
Thanks for those links, bluebird.

Frybabe

« Reply #684 on: December 13, 2011, 11:47:39 PM »
Bluebird24, I am enjoying browsing through the World Wide School Library site. Of course I zeroed in on the recipes from Applied Science and Technology. The Almond Jelly Cake ingredients, I noticed, are measured in coffee cups.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #685 on: December 19, 2011, 07:08:13 PM »
Now how old is the "Ship of Fools". Can't find it anyplace in the Library.  Seems like I saw the movie years ago but I can't even find the DVD.  I am sure they would not have just left it on VCR.  Never checked for it

hats

« Reply #686 on: December 19, 2011, 10:10:35 PM »
Hi JoanP and Group,

As usual lately, I'm lost and a little bit confused. Is this discussion about Ship of Fools or Charles Dickens? If I'm not mistaken, I remember when Ship of Fools was published or came to the movies. It was sooooo popular. I never read it. Always wondered whether I would enjoy it. Then, I heard the title mentioned here. I thought, "aaaaaah, I should have read it." Now I have the chance again. Haven't checked the price of it. Haven't checked the library. I think it's a chunky novel. So, I would rather own a copy of it.

By the way just a couple of days ago, I lost my heart to Charles Dickens. I'm reading Great Expectations on my Kindle. What can I say?? It's fabulous. It makes my whole heart feel light and fluffy like a good cake. I've met two convicts, Joe Gargery, Pip, Joe Gargery's wife who is Pip's sister and Mrs. Havisham and the young girl named Eleanora. I might have her name wrong. My Kindle is in the bedroom.

Before I die I want to read every book and story written by Charles Dickens. Also, I want to read a bio of Charles Dickens. I have two or three Dickens' novels under my belt. This doesn't count. I didn't read for the joy of it but to write papers for school. So, I would prefer to say Great Expectations is my first time with a Charles Dickens book.Truly, I'm having a love affair.

Would like to give a shout out to Ginny! :D Oh, I've fallen into the Charles Dickens discussion. Perfect.

hats

« Reply #687 on: December 19, 2011, 10:11:50 PM »
By the way, it feels so good typing in this little white box again. I've missed all of you. ;)

Frybabe

« Reply #688 on: December 19, 2011, 10:15:32 PM »
Hi Hats. It is good to hear from you again. Yes, Dickens is quite something isn't he? When I read Oliver Twist pre-computer, I followed him around London with a street map. How wonderful it would be to read it again now with Google Earth/Maps.

hats

« Reply #689 on: December 19, 2011, 10:52:10 PM »
Hi Frybabe,

I'll bet you had a wonderful time. I can't imagine taking such a journey. ::)

Frybabe

« Reply #690 on: December 19, 2011, 10:56:49 PM »
Wish that I had actually been there. No, I was just arm chair traveling with the map while reading. Dickens was specific enough that I was able to find most of the streets on the map.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #691 on: December 20, 2011, 01:31:43 AM »
Jeanne, the novel, SHIP OF FOOLS, was written in 1962 and the film was made in 1965. I was able to find both the book and the DVD in my public library. The DVD doesn't have any extra features (such as behind the scenes, etc) so if you find a VHS that might do as well. There are some used videos at http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/6302305942/ref=sr_1_4_olp?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1324362511&sr=1-4&condition=used

Now how old is the "Ship of Fools". Can't find it anyplace in the Library.  Seems like I saw the movie years ago but I can't even find the DVD.  I am sure they would not have just left it on VCR.  Never checked for it

Hats, it is great to see you back! I found some used paperbacks of THE SHIP OF FOOLS at http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0316713902/ref=sr_1_1_up_1_pap_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324362757&sr=1-1&condition=used

This discussion is just for suggesting books. When we all decide on which Dickens to read together, we'll open a new discussion for it. I am glad that you are so enthusiastic about Dickens. I can't say that I've been wild about the few books of his that I've read but I think your appreciation of him will help me learn to love his work more.

hats

« Reply #692 on: December 20, 2011, 02:24:39 AM »
Marcie, thank you for the link. Not sure I'll make it to any of the discussions. Just stopped by for Holiday hello. Thank you for the link. Happy Holidays to All~

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #693 on: December 20, 2011, 07:44:16 AM »
Good morning, Hats!  and a Happy New Year to you.  We sure have missed you.  It would be great to have you join a Dickens' discussion - Great Expectations just might be the choice.  We'lll vote in January to discuss in February - to celebrate Dickens' 200th birthday anniversary.

I have to add - don't miss his little-known Mystery of Edwin Drood.  We discussed it here on SeniorLearn a while back - a tantalizing book, his last, never-finished.  But oh, what writing.  And what fun trying to solve the mystery!  Frybabe, next time in London, try following Edwin Drood around that town!

I hope all of you will plan to join in the discussion of Ship of Fools in January.  (it's much better than the movie - so said the author, KA Porter.)

Babi

« Reply #694 on: December 20, 2011, 09:57:38 AM »
 Good to hear from you, HATS, and especially that you are enjoying Dickens.
I think I've read everything of his; he has been a long time favorite. Not
all of his book are cheerful, tho', by any means.  He addressed a lot of social
issues in his time. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

hats

« Reply #695 on: December 20, 2011, 10:54:28 AM »
Hi Babi and JoanP~

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #696 on: December 20, 2011, 11:52:11 AM »
Hello, Hats, how are you? It's so good to see you here!

If you have not read any Dickens, you might like David Copperfield after your current experience or A Christmas Carol too. I also remember reading Oliver Twist, Frybabe, but after I saw the  musical which I also loved. Such treasures, and this time of the rolling year as Dickens would say, you really want to read a Dickens.

:)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #697 on: December 20, 2011, 10:45:31 PM »
HEY, HATS! Great that you're back! So you have a kindle, too --- isn't it a blast!!

And The Complete Dickens costs about 2 dollars! The better the book, the cheaper it is!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #698 on: December 21, 2011, 09:54:49 AM »
Oh my goodness~  why is that, JoanK ?  Because the Dickens are no longer under copyright?

Frybabe

« Reply #699 on: December 21, 2011, 02:25:57 PM »
JoanP and JoanK, project Gutenberg recently added several Dickens books to their free library. Great Expectations is the only title I remember just now.

Babi

« Reply #700 on: December 22, 2011, 08:02:17 AM »
 I'm trying to remember.  There was quite a bit posted about "Night Circus" not long ago, and
I can't remember if it was one scheduled for discussion.  Was it?  I've gotten a copy from my
library, and if we are going to discuss in in the future I do want to make some notes.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #701 on: December 22, 2011, 09:47:44 AM »
Babi...I have a terrible memory.  Don't remember Night Circus at all.  Can you tell us a bit about it?  What got your attention?

We're getting closer to choosing a Dickens' title for February discussion.  We'll vote on those titles nominated by our readers.  Check the heading to be sure your favorite will be included in the vote.

Frybabe

« Reply #702 on: December 22, 2011, 10:17:41 AM »
Babi, we didn't do a book discussion on Night Circus. It is a book I want to read, but haven't put in for it yet at the library. I want to reduce my TBR pile here before I get more books, bought or borrowed, to read. It is also on my Wish List on Amazon so I don't forget it.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #703 on: December 22, 2011, 04:15:21 PM »
JOANP: that's one of the great things about e-readers. The classic literature is available for pennies, thanks to Project Gutenberg and others. I have the complete Shakespeare, Austen, Mark Twain, Dickens, Sherlock Holmes, Thoreau,a choice of translations of the Greek and Roman writers, etc etc at my fingertips. And they don't take up (nonexistant) space on my bookcases, and are not too heavy to hold! You name it -- I can get it in seconds.

The "Book of the moment" costs money, but the books for all time are almost free.

salan

« Reply #704 on: December 22, 2011, 04:33:27 PM »
I have been reading Night Circus.  It is very strange, but well written and interesting.  However, since I am having about a dozen people over to my house for Christmas; I have done no reading in December.  I will probably have to turn it in unread, but I will definitely check it out to finish (although, I may have to start over...). 

The older I get, the longer it takes to get anything done.  Sigh.....
Sally

Frybabe

« Reply #705 on: December 22, 2011, 05:49:22 PM »
The older I get, the longer it takes to get anything done.  Sigh.....
Sally

I'll drink eggnog to that, Sally

rosemarykaye

« Reply #706 on: December 23, 2011, 05:57:42 AM »
But Sally, I think that's because we are all such interesting people with lots of interesting thoughts to sidetrack us  :)

The older I get the less I care if I do get half the things done that I once would have thought important.  Viz Christmas - I used to make everything from scratch and run around like a demented chicken, now I buy most of it from Lidl and it is my 16 year old daughter who wants to make sausage rolls, mince pies, etc - so I let her.  It's amazing how often if you don't do something it turns out not to have been that important in the first place, don't you find?

Babi

« Reply #707 on: December 23, 2011, 08:59:19 AM »
 Ah, yes, ROSEMARY. During the years when my house was the gathering place for family holidays, I took great pride in producing a huge, delicious dinner. No packaged cornbread dressing, special homemade desserts,..the whole schmear. Now, it's a much smaller group and my daughters do most of the cooking. I figure I've earned my rest.

I haven't started 'Night Circus' yet. The posts intrigued me, describing
it as a quirky and unusual book, beautifully written.  The reviews use phrases
like "playful and intensely imaginative", "as dark as it is dazzling",
"engrossing", "utterly enchanting".  I mean, how can I resist?!! :)

salan

« Reply #708 on: December 24, 2011, 05:32:19 AM »
Rosemary, Frybabe, and Babi,  what you say is so true.  What I used to consider important is definitely not so much anymore.  However, I still make my dressing from scratch.  It's just so much better than the mixes that it is definitely worth the trouble.  I also bake the turkey, but buy the honey baked ham and use packaged pie crust mix.  I definitely don't make all the candies, pies and goodies that my mother used to make.  The holidays are now focused on people I love instead of all the food.  I've also found that my house doesn't need to be as "spotless" as I always thought it did. 

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you with best wishes for a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year.

Sally

Aberlaine

« Reply #709 on: December 28, 2011, 06:32:45 AM »
I just bought a Christmas present for myself - a Kindle.  I haven't read any Dickens in ages.  So I'll be happy with whatever book is chosen.

Nancy

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #710 on: December 28, 2011, 08:24:01 AM »
Nancy, what a nice present you received from yourself! :D  My granddaughter (10) asked for one for Christmas - and was lucky to receive one.  Caused a scare  when my  son received a notice from Amazon the day after Christmas - saying that Lindsay had ordered 33 books for the Kindle.  (She found a site where she could download free books, but that wasn't clear at first.)

I'll be interested to hear your reaction to reading a book on your Kindle.  I would imagine it takes some getting used to at first?

We're really close to voting on the Dickens' selection for February discussion.  If there is another besides those already nominated that you would like to see included in the vote, you still have time to nominate a title.

Those nominated to date:

BLEAK HOUSE ~ (often considered Dickens' masterpiece, his finest work, though not his most popular.)

GREAT EXPECTATIONS ~ (An absorbing mystery as well as a morality tale, this novel contains a strong autobiographical elements.)

PICKWICK PAPERS ~ (Dickens' first novel:""If I were to live a hundred years and write three novels in each, I should never be so proud of any of them as I am of Pickwick.")

A Tale of Two Cities ~ (This is the  novel, which begins "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  set against the backdrop of the French Revolution.")

Babi

« Reply #711 on: December 28, 2011, 08:30:29 AM »
 'Pickwick' and 'Two Cities' are definitely my all-time favorites.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #712 on: December 28, 2011, 08:35:39 AM »
Last night we watched the first of a new three part TV adaptation of Great Expectations.  I wasn't sure that anything could live up to the David Lean film, but it was brilliant.  Gillian Anderson played Miss Havisham wonderfully - it may just be that I am older now, but I saw so much in her that I missed in the old film.  Ray Winstone was fabulous as Magwitch.  In fact, they were all fabulous.  I hope you get this on PBS in due course.  Looking forward to the second instalment tonight.

Rosemary

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #713 on: December 28, 2011, 06:43:49 PM »
Rosemary, how exciting that you're getting to see GREAT EXPECTATIONS! I think we have to wait until April in the U.S.

I see it got a lot of viewers in the UK. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/8981287/Great-Expectations-meets-BBCs-high-hopes.html

Babi

« Reply #714 on: December 29, 2011, 08:44:50 AM »
 I do hope you're right, MARCIE, and that we will be getting it here.  I really would love to see it.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #715 on: December 30, 2011, 01:20:26 AM »
Great Expectations is set to air on April 1 and 8 in the U.S. on many PBS stations. See the Masterpiece schedule at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/schedule/index.html

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #716 on: December 30, 2011, 02:17:46 AM »
Purchased the Norton edition of Great Expectations.  Contains maps, reviews, and explanations for many of the terms used. 

rosemarykaye

« Reply #717 on: December 30, 2011, 04:28:55 AM »
Saw the last episode of Great Expectations last night.  There was so much that i had forgotten.  Gillian Anderson was magnificent.  I forgot to mention that David Suchet was Jaggers, also wonderful. 

Afterwards there was a trailer for another Dickens that they are going to show next year.  Predictably I've already forgotten what it was.  Could be The Old Curiosity Shop?

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #718 on: December 30, 2011, 08:22:47 AM »
 I look forward to "Great Expectations".   "The Old Curiosity Shop" has such
a tragic ending, I'm not sure I want watch that.  Reading it was traumatic
enough.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #719 on: December 31, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »
One 90-minutes episode of THE OLD CURIOSITY SHOP (from 2007) is set to air on many U.S. PBS stations on February 26, 2012. See http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/curiosityshop/index.html