Author Topic: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~  (Read 271492 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~
« Reply #960 on: February 22, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »

Nominations for September Book Club Online

Titles are all linked to reviews or descriptions

Title
Author
Plainsong, Eventide, Benediction                    Kent Haruf
Harvest, A Novel                    Jim Crace
Interpretation of Maladies                    Jhumpa Lahiri
A Visit from Voltaire                    Dinah Lee Küng

marjifay

« Reply #961 on: February 22, 2013, 06:37:50 PM »
I'll nominate PLAINSONG by Kent Haruf (301 pp, 1999)  

Per Library Journal, "Two bachelor farmer brothers, a pregnant high school girl, two young brothers, and two devoted high school teachers--this is the interesting group of people, some related by blood but most not, featured in the award-winning Haruf's touching novel. Set in the plains of Colorado, east of Denver, the novel comprises several story lines that flow into one. Tom Guthrie, a high school history teacher, is having problems with his wife and with an unruly student at school, problems that affect his young sons, Ike and Bob, as well. Meanwhile, the pregnant Victoria Roubideaux has been abandoned by her family. With the assistance of another teacher, Maggie Jones, she finds refuge with the McPheron brothers„ who seem to know more about cows than people. Lyrical and well crafted, the tight narrative about how families can be made between folks who are not necessarily blood relatives makes for enjoyable reading."

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Babi

« Reply #962 on: February 23, 2013, 08:58:37 AM »
I loved Ivan Doig! My library has Plainsong and Eventide, happily. Definitely
on my TBR list.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #963 on: February 23, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »
I did too, Babi.  I intend to pick up a library copy when I return Hare with Amber Eyes today.  Marjifay, I'll add Plainsong to the list in the heading.  I think we'll have a better idea about how we feel about the book by the time we start the vote...

Here are the opening lines from a book review in the New York Times when Plainsong was published in 1999:

"Here was this man Tom Guthrie. . . .'' That's how Kent Haruf begins the first sentence of his new novel, ''Plainsong,'' and not until the last sentence, roughly 300 pages later, does he allow himself a rhetorical flourish so pronounced. Yet from simple strands of language and cuttings of talk, from the look of the high Colorado plains east of Denver almost to the place where Nebraska and Kansas meet, Haruf has made a novel so foursquare, so delicate and lovely, that it has the power to exalt the reader."

http://www.nytimes.com/books/99/10/03/reviews/991003.03klinket.html

Try Ivan Doig - we loved his book when we discussed it here a while back.  Many of us went on to read sequels.  Why can't I remember titles?  Do you, Babi?

edit - ten minutes later, Doig's title came to me - Dancing at the Rascal Fair

Babi

« Reply #964 on: February 24, 2013, 08:41:58 AM »
    That was it.  One of the best books I'd read in a long time.  If "Plainsong" comes close to that, I'll be delighted.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Jonathan

« Reply #965 on: February 26, 2013, 09:45:30 PM »
I would like to suggest THE MONK, by Mathew Lewis. The wildest gothic tale imaginable. From the cover:

'This book, written when its author was nineteen years old, is held to be one of the finest of the 'Gothic' novels which enjoyed great popularity in the eighteentha century. It is a violent tale of ambition, murder, and incest, set in the sinister monastery of the Capuchins in Madrid....The mixture of the supernatural, the horrible and the carnal, makes this book as sensational as when it was first published in 1796.'

Frybabe

« Reply #966 on: February 27, 2013, 07:14:21 AM »
I'm going to have to look into The Monk, Johnathon. It  sounds like a precursor to Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose.

Speaking of Eco, has anyone read his latest book, The Prague Cemetery? It sounds positively distasteful (to put it mildly). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prague_Cemetery In reading about the book, however, I am learning more obscure history. For instance, after reading the article I looked up Abbot Barruelo, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustin_Barruel  who was something of a conspiracy theorist and to whose writing, the article claims, gave rise to modern anti-semitism.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #967 on: February 27, 2013, 10:30:03 AM »
Oho, Jonathan - this would surely be a sensational choice for our readers!  :D In many ways!  Where on earth did you find this one?  Read more -

The Monk by Matthew Lewis

ps Our Library system has one copy...

Frybabe

« Reply #968 on: February 27, 2013, 12:09:35 PM »
FYI, Project Gutenberg has The Monk and there is a free Kindle edition on Amazon, which also has three other editions listed.

marjifay

« Reply #969 on: February 28, 2013, 11:29:01 AM »
Oh, Jonathan, thanks for nominating THE MONK by Matthew Lewis.  I've had that book on my shelf for a long time but have yet to read it.  First heard of it when it was discussed in a great Yahoo group to which I belong, British Classics.  Sounds good, doesn't it?  My notes say "When this was originally published in 1796, readers were shocked by the gripping and horrific novel." 

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #970 on: March 02, 2013, 05:04:27 PM »
I would like to point out that the link to The Moonstone tells the whole plot, and since it's a mystery, that means SPOILERS.

It's a good story, shouldn't be spoiled.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #971 on: March 04, 2013, 08:55:13 AM »
Last evening I picked up my library copy of Plainsong - checked out a few days ago. Couldn't put it down. I was remembering how Babi was looking forward to reading this book...just a few days ago... I think I read it to be closer to her.  I remember how she used to read and take notes so she'd be ready for a discussion, long after she'd returned the book to the library. I know Babi would have loved this book.

I came in to remind you that we will close the nominations for an April group discussion at the end of the day today - and open the voting booth in the morning.  A very interesting field this time, don't you agree? There is still time to add to it.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KDCVZTZ

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #972 on: March 12, 2013, 04:39:43 AM »
March Book Club Online Selection:

THREE-WAY TIE For April!

Run-Off Vote HERE (link to vote)

(NOTE THAT ALL OF THESE TITLES ARE LINKED TO REVIEWS)

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Remarque

The Monk by Matthew Lewis

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

marjifay

« Reply #973 on: March 12, 2013, 09:20:53 AM »
It would be nice if we could, in the future, decide on a book earlier, especially when the nominations include books of almost 500 pp.  I voted on the shortest book for the reason that I won't have time to read a longer book.  I belong to several book clubs and am in the middle of two books which will be discussed beginning March 15.  Just my opinion.

Marj

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #974 on: March 12, 2013, 09:32:23 AM »
Your suggestion is greatly appreciated.  February was a short month - March sort of crept up on us.  There is only one super long book on the list.  If it wins, we can extend the discussion time into early May.  How's that? 

As soon as we decide on the April selection, we'd better start taking nominations for May.  Thanks, Marjifay.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #975 on: March 12, 2013, 04:49:26 PM »
That's a good suggestion, JoanP.  If you're referring to The Moonstone, it could definitely use more than a month.

Frybabe

« Reply #976 on: March 12, 2013, 05:50:41 PM »
Moonstone is 432 or 366 pages. The Monk is close to 500 pages if you get the Oxford Classics edition. Another edition is 364 pages, I think. The difference appears to be mostly in the page size of the editions and possibly some extra explanatory/editorial info.  My old copy of All Quiet on the Western Front is 299 pages, while the the edition on Amazon is 305 pages. Hope that is of help to those who are concerned about book length.

I am really having a difficult time making up my mind between the detective story, the Gothic story or the WWI story (essentially an anti-war book). Did you know that Remarque's book was one of the first to be banned and burned in Nazi Germany?

ps. okay, I just closed my eyes and made my choice. I'll be in it for whichever is chosen.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #977 on: March 12, 2013, 06:07:50 PM »
Phew - good!  Couldn't tell where you are going there - until the end when you said you'd be in it no matter what! :D  Can't say how the vote is going yet - except that it is now a two way tie!

JudeS

« Reply #978 on: March 12, 2013, 06:53:01 PM »
I voted for The Monk. That is the literary period I know least about and would like to know more.

The  Remarque book is not a feel good book.  have read it and many othere on WW1.  The horror in the trenches was so terrible that I will skip the discussion if that book is chosen. The movie is also a masterpiece, but depressing.

Wilkie Collins is usually an easy and literate read, no matter the length of the book.
So if one of those two make it I will be "in".

Just not in the mood for another war book, especially one that I have read.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #979 on: March 12, 2013, 08:37:06 PM »
The description of The Monk makes it sound pretty brutal too, as well as anticlerical.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #980 on: March 12, 2013, 08:40:41 PM »
I read that it is pretty humorous though, Pat. :D Brutal, anticlerical and wickedly funny!

JudeS

« Reply #981 on: March 14, 2013, 02:17:41 AM »
What could be better?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #982 on: March 22, 2013, 09:43:49 PM »
We are happy to announce that Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone has been selected for the Book Club Online discussion.  We will begin on April 15 and continue through the month of May.   This is a delightful selection, believed to be the first detective/mystery novel.  We hope you drop in now and say hello, select your chair...

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #983 on: April 15, 2013, 09:29:18 AM »
Something a little different for June Book Club Online...

The SeniorLearn DLs are planning a month-long discussion of favorite Short Stories.  The only requirement is that we can find the stories online.  Hopefully you will share some of your own favorite titles/authors with us.  Alice Munro is one of my favorite short story writer.  She seems to know how to keep the tension going - right to the end, when there is a surprise or unexpected turn of events.

I read that ingredients of a good short story are:  a strong theme, a fascinating plot, a fitting structure, unforgettable characters, a well-chosen setting, and an appealing style.

It's not easy to get all of these into a short story - do you think they are all required?

Scottieluvr

« Reply #984 on: April 15, 2013, 05:28:59 PM »
Something a little different for June Book Club Online...

The SeniorLearn DLs are planning a month-long discussion of favorite Short Stories.  The only requirement is that we can find the stories online.  Hopefully you will share some of your own favorite titles/authors with us.  Alice Munro is one of my favorite short story writer.  She seems to know how to keep the tension going - right to the end, when there is a surprise or unexpected turn of events.

I read that ingredients of a good short story are:  a strong theme, a fascinating plot, a fitting structure, unforgettable characters, a well-chosen setting, and an appealing style.

It's not easy to get all of these into a short story - do you think they are all required?

I'd be interested in joining that... where would this group meet? In the meantime I'll start collecting online short stories.
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim." - Nora Ephron

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #985 on: April 15, 2013, 05:58:16 PM »
Just opened this morning, Pamela...we're gathering here - please join us at SeniorLearn's Anthology of Favorite Short Stories

Steph

« Reply #986 on: May 31, 2013, 08:20:02 AM »
I would like to suggest for possibly October discussion, the trilogy of Kent Haruf.. It makes you feel as if you lived there and know these people as your neighbors and friends.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #987 on: May 31, 2013, 08:33:53 AM »
I agree, Steph!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #988 on: July 28, 2013, 02:03:09 PM »
Time to start thinking seriously  of our September group read.  Ella and Harold are attracting a wide group of posters to share memories of FDR -  in August.  Even if you are too young to remember those days, you will probably be interested to read what your parents were going through, while you so blissfully enjoyed your childhood!
Even though it's a hefty book, September will be here before you know it.

We already have several nominations in the heading - but open to more before we vote.  I'll nominate one more that has come to my attention recently -

Pedln recently posted the new Man Booker nominations in the Library.   One familiar name on the list -  Jhumpa Lahiri, an author Will Schwalbe wrote about in his End of Your Life Book Club, you might remember we read his book together here recently.

Jhumpa Lahiri is nominated for the Booker prize  for her new book - The Lowland .
In 2000 she won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction for her first book, ''Interpreter of Maladies''  is a collection of nine short stories evoking the isolation  South Asian immigrants in America. She is quite young, born in India, raised in Rhode Island.  The short story collection also won the  Hemingway Foundation/PEN Award in the year 2000 and has sold over 15 million copies worldwide. It was also chosen as The New Yorker's Best Debut of the Year and is on Oprah Winfrey's Top Ten Book List.

I'll nominate Interpreter of Maladies for our September Book Club Online to see if there is interest in more short stories.  If you'd like to sample one of her prize-winning stories, A Temporary Matter is the first story in the collection...

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #989 on: July 29, 2013, 05:15:22 PM »
Let's toss out titles - what do you think of this one?

The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff.  It sounds interesting but has anyone read it?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #990 on: July 29, 2013, 05:25:45 PM »
Did you like Dan Brown's DaVinci Code?  We read it here as a group?  Have you read his Inferno?  Would you like to do a group read of his Inferno?  Everyone is reading it...I think I'd only tackle it with you all.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #991 on: July 29, 2013, 06:07:59 PM »
I'd like to suggest Harvest: A Novel by Jim Crace

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385520778/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The story takes place in England during the end of a way of life that was tied to farming the land when labor was the skills of the people working the land.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #992 on: July 29, 2013, 09:58:57 PM »
Had never heard of Jim Crace, Barb - and yet I see he's written a number of books.  I'll enter to the suggestions in the heading. and look into it.

Here's another you've probably heard of.   Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James.  Have you read it?
A rare meeting of literary genius: P. D. James, long among the most admired mystery writers of our time, draws the characters of Jane Austen’s beloved novel Pride and Prejudice into a tale of murder and emotional mayhem.

Inspired by a lifelong passion for Austen, P. D. James masterfully re-creates the world of Pride and Prejudice, electrifying it with the excitement and suspense of a brilliantly crafted crime story, as only she can write it.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #993 on: July 30, 2013, 10:20:51 AM »
Here's an idea I've been investigating.  Remember Kate Chopin's short story we read this past month - "A Pair of Silk Stockings"?  The mother who spends what she planned to spend on her children -  on herself?  As a group we had mixed reactions to her behavior.

Well, Kate Chopin wrote a book,  The Awakening, originally titled A Solitary Soul, first published in 1899.
"Set in New Orleans and the Southern Louisiana coast at the end of the nineteenth century, the plot centers on Edna Pontellier and her struggle to reconcile her increasingly unorthodox views on femininity and motherhood with the prevailing social attitudes of the turn-of-the-century South.

"Kate Chopin's The Awakening is a frank look at a woman's life at the turn of the 19th century. Published in 1899, Chopin's novella shocked critics and audiences alike, who showed little sympathy for the author or her central protagonist, Edna Pontellier. A master of craft, Chopin wrote a forceful novel about a woman who questioned not only her role in society, but the standards of society itself."

The novel's blend of realistic narrative, incisive social commentary, and psychological complexity makes The Awakening a precursor of American modernism; it prefigures the works of American novelists such as William Faulkner and Ernest Hemingway and echoes the works of contemporaries such as Edith Wharton and Henry James. It can also be considered among the first Southern works in a tradition that would culminate with the modern masterpieces of Faulkner, Flannery O'Connor, Eudora Welty, Katherine Anne Porter, and Tennessee Williams."

The book is available on line - also in most libraries.  It was quite controversial when published, maybe still controversial now. Has anyone read it?  Might it be an interesting choice for September? It might be a bit controversial.  We couldn't even agree if her character in "A Pair of Silk Stockings"  should have spent money on herself!

Heck...I'm going to put it up for consideration.  I really want to read it!  See the box of nominations in the heading at the top of the page!  Any interest in the PD James - Death Comes to Pemberly?

rosemarykaye

« Reply #994 on: July 31, 2013, 08:01:19 AM »
Joan - I've read Death Comes to Pemberley, and it was AWFUL - a terrible disappointment.  At least, that's what I thought  :)

Rosemary

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #995 on: July 31, 2013, 08:33:40 AM »
I would rate it short of awful, but definitely disappointing.  James didn't get the tone right--admittedly difficult to do, and she had Elizabeth and Darcy having a number of personal conversations that they either would have had much earlier in their marriage, would never have had at all, or had already had in Pride and Prejudice.  Austen fans tend to want to read all these spin-offs, even if they aren't usually very good.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #996 on: July 31, 2013, 08:45:33 AM »
Oh boy, I came in this morning to tell you that I just heard  that Kate Chopin's The Awakening   was a real "downer" - from someone whose opinion I really respect - who has read the book to the end.

And now the news that Death Comes to Pemberley "is AWFUL" - how  do you miss with Jane Austin and PD James, PatH?

We've missed you around the halls here,  Rosemary. Any ideas for a September Book Club Online discussion?  

nlhome

« Reply #997 on: July 31, 2013, 05:41:29 PM »
I read The Awakening about 30-35 years ago. I don't remember it as a "downer" but more as a thoughtful book.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #998 on: July 31, 2013, 07:14:06 PM »
I was told the ending of The Awakening was depressing, nlhome. "Thoughtful" wouldn't be bad.  How do you remember that from 35 years ago?  Maybe we should reconsider it?

I came in to ask if there is interest in Arrowsmith - Sinclair Lewis.  There's been some interest in the Library recently.  I could go for that - Here's a review - http://joederbes.wordpress.com/2009/02/03/book-review-arrowsmith-by-sinclair-lewis/

Frybabe

« Reply #999 on: August 01, 2013, 08:20:39 AM »

Looks interesting, JoanP. It's one of the "must read" books I never read. I actually thought Arrowsmith was an early American venue, like Last of the Mohican's. I am disappointed that Project Gutenberg (US) does not have it in their catalog, though.

The 19th Wife looks interesting too. The others I haven't really looked into yet. It is safe to say, though, that The Awakening and Death Comes to Pemberly are out for me.

My brain has not come up with any suggestions yet.