Author Topic: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~  (Read 271509 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~ VOTE HERE!
« Reply #160 on: October 11, 2009, 02:11:17 PM »

Polls are now open to choose  Bookclub Online titles for JULY and AUGUST Discussion!

VOTE HERE UNTIL JUNE 8!

Title
Author
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn                    Clemens
The Lacuna                    Kingsolver
Frankenstein                    Shelley
Dracula                    Stoker
Gulliver's Travels                    Swift
From the Beast to the Blonde: On Fairy Tales and Their Tellers                    Warner

mrssherlock

« Reply #161 on: October 11, 2009, 03:38:04 PM »
There were so many but I restrained myself, voted for four or five.  It will be along wait.  When will the book we choose be scheduled?  Seems like we could do more than one book at a time.  Right now all we're deoing is The Last Dickens, right?
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Janice

« Reply #162 on: October 11, 2009, 03:40:33 PM »
I guess my reading moves along a different line.  I didn't seem interested in any of them, although I've read a few of them already. 
Have a great Autumn and enjoy the books.
Janice

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: October 11, 2009, 03:56:02 PM »
Janice, is there a book you've read or are interested in reading, that you'd recommend to us for discussion?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #164 on: October 11, 2009, 04:06:04 PM »
Yes, JoanP, there are 2 good sci fi books on that list, of rather different types; should be adequate for testing the interest.

JudeS

« Reply #165 on: October 11, 2009, 07:35:12 PM »
Dear Friends
I have been absent from this site for too long.  My Writing class is putting out a book and I am on the committee to get that book out.  In past years I have just contributed stories but didn't realize how much work it was to get the whole thing finished.  Besides polishing my own contributions (four stories and three poems) there is so much to do, especially raising money to see the project published appropriately.  At present we have more than 350 pages.  This Thursday is the final date for entries.
One of the committees most experienced members broke her leg and tore a ligament.  Her sister, who also was prominent in publishing the other four books for this class is caring for her.  Therefore the rest of the committee is overburdened  I will be back with you wonderful folks when this project is finished.
Best wishes
Jude S (Judy Shernock) 

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: October 11, 2009, 09:10:37 PM »
Judy, what an ambitious undertaking. It sounds like a wonderful, though stressful, project. I hope the book is ready to be published soon.

Gumtree

« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2009, 01:31:22 AM »
JudyS:  We've missed you! Good luck with the book - I've been there once or twice myself so have some idea of what you're into. thankfully it always comes to an end.  ;D

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Gumtree

« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2009, 01:37:22 AM »
I've voted too and ticked about 6 titles. I'm not into sci-fi so it was easy to count those out. I've read several of the others - Zusak and Brookes and Durrell - they'll all present plenty of discussion material. And yes, it will be a long wait for the results.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2009, 11:42:14 AM »
My, we are getting quite a response to the poll already - and it just went out yesterday!   Remember, this is not a vote - it's just a poll to assess interest in the nominated titles. You'll have to wait until next Sunday to learn the titles of the finalists.

If you want to suggest a different title for consideration, you may post it here if you wish - and we'll keep it for the next list.~

Hey Juuuude....!  We've all missed you!  (Everytime the AARP magazine comes out, I wonder about you! ;) ) It's good to know you are okay - swamped, but that's good, isn't it?  We're looking forward to your return.  By the way, I'd love a copy of the book you are working on - is it for sale?

Missing you too, Gum!  Hope things go well with you and yours~

mrssherlock

« Reply #170 on: October 14, 2009, 11:51:42 AM »
This morning on NPR's Morning Edition occurred an interview about how much has changed for women economicdally in the last 50 years.  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113764557  Author Gail Colins, the first woman to be editorial page editor of the NYTimes, has written When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present  Since I was born in 1935 this encompasses almost all of my adulthood.  Sounds like we could find one or two topics here for a discussion.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~
« Reply #171 on: October 21, 2009, 04:44:57 PM »
Jackie - I'm on the run right now - but when I come back, I'll get up a new nomination chart and the first entry will be When Everything Changed
.  It has been amazing ride since 1960, hasn't it?

Right now, I've got the results of last week's poll which ended Sunday.  Goodness, it's Wednesday already. Sorry to be so late.

Here are the results. Next to the title you can see the number of folks who would be interested in participating in a discussion of the book -  

The Book Thief by Zusak  19
 Bridge of Sighs by Russo 11
The Doomsday Book by Willis   8
I, Robot (short stories) by Asimov   12
Justine (Alexandria Quartet) by Durrell   12
Kim by Kipling   19
March by Brooks   13
Say You're One of Them by Uwem Akpan   7
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by Wroblewski   18
White Tiger by Adiga   13
Year of Wonders by Brooks   8
Zeitoun by Eggers  8.7% 4
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Howe  21.7% 10

December is for a very special surprise - which you will hear about very soon.  We think you will love it.

Starting January we will be discussing the top three in the poll - we need to coordinate with the DLs' schedules.

The Book Thief by Zusak  19
Kim by Kipling   19 (January)
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by Wroblewski   18

We will begin January with Kipling's Kim, led by PatH and JoanK - you may know these are twin sisters, one living on in Maryland, the other CA.  I think this is the first time we've had twins leading a discussion.  They grew up loving Kim, so what could be more special.  

Other surprises in the works too - stay tuned!

ps - don't worry, we've noted the interest in many of the other titles and are discussing  them for the next year too.

Frybabe

« Reply #172 on: October 21, 2009, 05:28:06 PM »
Am I ever glad I don't have to make a decision on just one of these JoanP. It would be next to impossible. I am looking forward to discussing all three.

mrssherlock

« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2009, 12:05:03 PM »
I've read both Kim and The Story of Edgar Sawtelle and am looking forward toThe Book Thief.  All good choices.  It is disappointing that some others I've loved won't be shared and discussed with this daunting group of minds, but c'est la vie, n'est ce pas?
Jackie

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2009, 12:23:26 PM »
Which ones will you miss discussing, Jackie?  Naming some of them - might lead to something...

Gumtree

« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2009, 12:31:35 PM »
I've read Kim and The Book Thief - they'll both provide plenty to discuss and are so different from each other. I'll be lurking around in January.  ;D

mrssherlock

« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2009, 02:17:49 PM »
Kim is so timely as it concerns Afghanistan.  There is a DVD with a BBC version of Kim available; maybe we could talk about that, too.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087557/

The books I'll miss discussing are The Doomsday Book and March.  There are too many choices and we can't read them all.  it would be nice to schedule them like F2Fs do, for a whole year, and assign moderators for each, but that would rule out any new books that will come out during that time.  It seems that the process here to establish a discussion group is difficult.  I can understand that the chief resource, a DL, is limited; but spontaneity is lacking, sadly that feeling of the delightful sharing of a new found treasure gets lost.

Jackie

Frybabe

« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2009, 08:14:13 PM »
My local used book store just happened to have a copy of The Book Thief. She seems not to have Kim right now, but I can get that freebie off of Project Guttenberg. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle has been in my TBR pile for months.

Gumtree

« Reply #178 on: October 23, 2009, 01:34:18 AM »
I bought The Book Thief when it first came out. It was the book chosen for our annual summer arts festival a few years back. All libraries hosted discussion groups,displays etc  and Zusak was here for the Writers Week.  It was on everyone's lips for quite a while - two of my F2F groups discussed it. I'll be interested to see how I view it now.

Kim is somewhere on my shelves.

So I'm ready!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #179 on: October 24, 2009, 11:29:41 AM »
Gum, Marj, Jackie - really looking forward to discussing these books with you in the future.  Jackie, I understand what you are saying.  Believe me, we have noted your comment and trying to figure out a way to accomodate.

I felt the same way about The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane - although I understood why there weren't more votes for it - the suggestion came at the 11th hour - and not many of the 46 respondants had heard anything about it.  I still think it would be a good discussion -
Maybe another time...

Aberlaine

« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2009, 07:47:09 AM »
I have to admit that I've never heard of the book Kim.  I'll be excited to read and discuss a book that is new to me.  I've read The Book Thief and probably won't be in that discussion.  But I have heard great things about The Story of Edgar Sawtelle and may stick my head into that discussion.

I read both Brooks' books and highly recommend them.  I'm going to add Bridge of Sighs to my reading list.

Since I also belong to a f2f book club and am reading a book of my choosing, I can only handle three books at once.  And many times, not even that!

Thanks for all you do, JoanP, and all the other discussion leaders.  We couldn't do any of this without you!

Nancy

mrssherlock

« Reply #181 on: October 25, 2009, 01:19:51 PM »
Sorru if my comments were not gracious.  The work you Dls put in is prodigious and i'm sure that we discussants are not properly appreciative.  When you asked the question about which other books I liked, expanding the list of discussions just followed logically.  There is a vast difference between strategy and logistics, isn't there?
Jackie

JoanR

« Reply #182 on: October 25, 2009, 02:16:35 PM »
I'm looking forward to the discussion on "Kim" - have a lovely copy sitting on a shelf!  I read it many, many years ago, much too young to appreciate it really, about the same time I was reading Kipling's Jungle Books and the Just So Stories.  My parents had a whole set of Kipling and since I read everything in the house, I devoured that.
I have a copy of Brook's "Year of Wonders" that I was saving for a discussion but I think I won't wait -  it looks too far down on the voting list!
I'll have to acquire a copy of "The Book Thief",  been wanting to get it and now you've given me the push!
Edgar Sawtelle??  Hmmmm.

mrssherlock

« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2009, 04:38:03 PM »
edgar sawtelle is a very powerful story.  I didn't finish Year of Wonders  Doomsday Book by Connie Willis has me spoiled.
Jackie

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #184 on: October 26, 2009, 09:15:13 PM »
Wonderful suggestions have been made in this folder; the list in the header is impressive.  My own to-read (or to re-read) book stack is getting ever taller.  

I'm not sure all of you know that a small group of us has just completed a months-long discussion and summarization of volumes 2 o 4 of Paul Scott's The Raj  Quartet.  Some time ago we discussed  here the first volume, The Jewel in the Crown,, but a number of  questions remained  unanswerable. It made us want to explore what happened to the protagonists we'd come to care about, and to the villain who appalled us.

In the author's own words at the end of Volume 4, "A Division of the Spoils is the last in a sequence of four novels about the closing years of British rule in India. The characters are imaginary. So were the events. The framework (the period between 1942 and 1947) was as historically accurate as I could make it. ..."

The recognition this literary masterpiece deserved eluded Paul Scott.  But he had more to say. In 1977 he published a fifth book, a sort of coda, or epilogue to the Raj Quartet,  with the title  Staying On. It describes what happened to one (rather un-assuming) military couple readers encountered  in Volume 2, who did not go home but chose to cling to their bungalow in the hills in the same region - which fell to Pakistan after partition in 1947.  The action takes place twenty-five years later.  Colonel Tucker and Lucy Smalley have grow old together.  How are they interacting with the Pakistani help ? What is their life like?

It was this small volume of 216 pages that finally brought the author lasting fame and the Booker Prize award.  He was too sick to accept it in person and died a year later at age 58.  
And it is this book that the patient readers of the Raj Quartet  and I would love to read here. We believe it is the real conclusion to a fascinating, epic story and might well be of general interest.
Therefore I'd like to suggest this book for reading here in the not too distant future (because tempus fugit = time flies).  

At this time I'd also like to invite all of you, inveterate readers, to join us in the discussion. It would run for the customary four weeks 24/7 and questions would be offered for consideration.  
To reiterate, it is a slim volume containing sixteen brief chapters. It is available on line (in an old-fashioned-looking print), and in paperback (easier to read for sore eyes).  Many of you may recall the British Granada TV production  and Masterpiece Theatre presentation ,Jewel in the Crown, sown in this country in the eighties.
But rest easy : no foreknowledge of that is necessary because Staying On stands on its own.

Pakistan is in the news daily, it is an iportant political and military power in a very dangerous area of the world where our troops ar fighting.  Wouldn't it be interesting to see what Pakistan was like in 1972, twenty-five years after Partition?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #185 on: October 26, 2009, 10:48:06 PM »
Thanks, Traudee - we just started a brand  new chart with reviews linked to the title.  We sure have a range of interests in these discussions! 

ALF43

« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2009, 09:16:41 AM »
I didn't realize until yesterday that The Book Thief is found in the young adult section. 
I have such a terrible time reading of those poor Holocast victims, I don't know if I could handle that, at this time.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #187 on: October 28, 2009, 12:29:47 AM »
Traude, I've always been sorry I didn't join your Raj Quartet in time.  If you do "Staying On", I'll certainly be part of the discussion.

The books I'll miss discussing are The Doomsday Book and March.  There are too many choices and we can't read them all.  it would be nice to schedule them like F2Fs do, for a whole year, and assign moderators for each, but that would rule out any new books that will come out during that time.  It seems that the process here to establish a discussion group is difficult.  I can understand that the chief resource, a DL, is limited; but spontaneity is lacking, sadly that feeling of the delightful sharing of a new found treasure gets lost.
I didn't finish Year of Wonders  Doomsday Book by Connie Willis has me spoiled.

Jackie, I did finish "Year of Wonders", but I agree with your comment.  I don't feel you were in any way ungracious in your previous comments.  You're right that the main problem is limited number of DLs, and also it's important not to have too many discussions going at one time, because it splits the reader pool.  In addition to the voting method you see here, any DL can propose a book they are willing to lead, put it up for comment, and, if they get enough nibbles, have a discussion.  Maybe we can get "Doomsday Book" in later.

mrssherlock

« Reply #188 on: October 28, 2009, 12:45:10 PM »
Pat:  The present system is DL limited since it is dependent on DL interest except in the case of votes such as this one. I was thinking along the lines of if three or more express an interest in discussing a book, why can't they?  Just an off the cuff, mini discussion.  Spontaneous.  Without a DL.  And this is not about Doomsday it is a thought which has been amorphous for quite a while; this vote simply help clarify my thinking.
Jackie

serenesheila

« Reply #189 on: October 29, 2009, 08:21:14 AM »
May I suggest we read, and discuss:  "The Forgotten Man", by Amity Shlaes?  It covers the period from 1929-1940.  It covers individual stories about both common Americans, and the ich, famous and powerful.  So much of what the author writes about, is happening today in this country.  IMO, it is a real page turner.

Sheila

Frybabe

« Reply #190 on: October 29, 2009, 10:08:29 AM »
Another good suggestion, Serenesheila. That is a book on my to buy list, that is on one of the lists that I made and misplaced. Thanks for reminding me. It is one I definitely want to read.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #191 on: October 29, 2009, 09:31:07 PM »
Jackie, we need to wait until we build up to enough participants to sustain a full month-long book discussion, inviting authors to participate, before we can break into small reading groups of three or four people.  In time, perhaps!  Would you like to put Doomsday back into the new list in the header?

Sheila - another good suggestion.  It just flew up into the heading.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #192 on: October 29, 2009, 09:41:21 PM »
PatH,   thank you for your # 187. I hope we will get to do Staying On - eventually. It is the perfect postscript to The Raj Quartet,  quite literally a "zinger". 

The Forgotten Man by Amity Shlaes is another good suggestion.
She has been a guest on C-SPAN several times, and I remember especially an excellent program about Geman reunification.  Her first book was Germany: The Empire Within, about the country's reunification.  She was marvelous.

Gumtree

« Reply #193 on: October 29, 2009, 09:59:30 PM »
Traude I'm hoping for a discussion of Staying Onto come to fruition. Having accompanied you on the long journey through The Raj Quartet there's no way I would miss the 'zinger' as you call it. I remember a film of Staying On with Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson - maybe from the 60s.

mrssherlock

« Reply #194 on: October 30, 2009, 05:16:05 PM »
Pat:  Thanks for the thoughtful answer to my comments.  Yes, let's put Doomsday Book in the new list.
Jackie

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #195 on: October 30, 2009, 08:46:35 PM »
Gumtree. Yes, a movie of Staying On was made in 1980 and starred Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson (who was made DBE).  The two had been unforgettable in the 1945 film Brief Encounter . Brief Encounter was shown on Turner Classic Movies a few times. The acting is superb.

Makes me wonder whether Staying On is available hereabouts. Must find out.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #196 on: October 30, 2009, 11:10:09 PM »
Yes, Netflix has it.

serenesheila

« Reply #197 on: October 31, 2009, 02:17:23 AM »
Traude, thank you for telling me about another book by Amity Shlaes.  I am using a Kindle, and when I checked her books, the only one that they list is "The Forgotten Man".

I have seen the author, several times on CSpan2.  She is a very interesting person.

Sheila

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #198 on: October 31, 2009, 08:38:04 PM »
The Story of Civilization has been active as a discussion group for eight years. We are now talking and reading about Italy during the Renaissance years.

Things happen in this period of history that change the way of the world forever. They are happening again in our discussion.

Come share with us this discussion of one of the most significant periods in the history of the world. You'll be glad you came and you will gain in understanding why we are where we are today.

On Sunday, we will have a celebration of eight years of discussion, and of making our way in only eight years from living in caves to the glories of the Renaissance.

For Seniorlearn members, go to http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=64.360

If you’re not a member, go to http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?action=help

Brian

• Brian's Den
« Reply #199 on: November 01, 2009, 12:10:20 PM »
The Story of Civilization has been active as a discussion group for eight years. We are
now talking and reading about Italy during the Renaissance years.

That period in history was launched by reports of the travels of Marco polo and the
reappearance of classical objects from antiquity. Early archeologists unearthed what once
was Rome and the Arabs of Spain brought Greek and Roman documents to 13th century
Italy. Genovese and Pisan trade with others around the Mediterranean basin brought new
Hellenic influences to the Italian peninsula.  Artists were ready to break out of the
idealistic constrictions of the past and to push into more realistic areas of art expression.  

Trade brought new wealth to Italian merchants and gave rise to a moneyed merchant
class. The new wealth found it's way to the Papacy and it encouraged dissipation among
the Popes of the period. This led to abuses and to conflict with European royalty and
dissension from within the Church.

Things happen in this period of history that change the way of the world forever. We can
never go back and it all happened here.

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=64.new;topicseen#new

Come share with us this discussion of one of the most significant periods in the history of
the world. You'll be glad you came and you will gain in understanding why we are where
we are today.