Author Topic: RUN by Ann Patchett ~ June Book Club Online  (Read 38547 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
RUN by Ann Patchett ~ June Book Club Online
« on: June 01, 2012, 01:45:03 AM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

CAN YOU JOIN US HERE ON FRIDAY, JUNE 15?

RUN by Ann Patchett

Two families come together in a traffic accident during a snowstorm.  It quickly becomes clear that the families, a poor, single black mother with her 11-year-old daughter and a white, Irish Catholic, former Boston mayor with a biological son and two adopted black college-aged sons,  whose much-loved wife died over 20 years ago,  have a connection.  

"The book explores how these kids established their sense of belonging and self based on who raised them, and whom they gravitated toward as family.  It also conversely examines the notion of parenthood - what constitutes a parent? Is it simply genetics, or a history of nurturing and love? What role does race play in parenting and familial identity? There are clearly nature vs nurture issues at play here, which are interesting to trace and analyze." (Gayle Weisswasser)

And yet, in an interview, in the back of the paperback edition,  Ann Patchett said that to her, the book was about politics.  The book's central idea is how political responsibility plays out in the smallest and most intimate scale of family life.
How did such an idea come to her?
A: "I keep reading the newspaper and looking at all of the hardships in the world and it makes me think about issues of sacrifice and social responsibility.  Do we have a moral obligation to use our gifts to help people? These aren't questions that have a right and wrong answer, but I think they are ideas worth struggling with. Run is ultimately a novel about secrets, duty, responsibility, and the lengths we will go to protect our children."  Patchett beautifully weaves together seemingly disparate lives to show how intimately humans can connect

*********************************************************************************

About the Author: Ann Patchett was born in Los Angeles, California and moved to Nashville, Tennessee when she was six, where she continues to live. Patchett said she loves her home in Nashville with her doctor husband and dog.  She owns and runs Parnassus Books, an independent bookstore in Nashville. Her fourth novel, Bel Canto, published in 2002, won both the Orange Prize and the PEN/Faulkner  Award.  In 2006 she was the editor of the anthology series of  the Best American Short Stories.  Run, her fifth novel,  was published in 2007.   In 2011  State of Wonder, shortlisted for the prestigious Orange Award, was published. 

Discussion Schedule:
June 15~17  Chapters 1-3
June 18~20       Chapters 4-6

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: RUN by Ann Patchett ~ June Book Club Online
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:51:10 AM »
The results of the recent votes have been counted.  We have a winner!  How many of you have read Ann Patchett's award winning Bel Canto?   Or her recent State of Wonder?  You've got to wonder where the seeds for these very different novels come from, don't you?  

Run is a fascinating novel, with very different messages.   Is it about families, blended families - or as Ms. Patchett herself says, is it about politics?  Or both?  I read an interview in which she revealed that she had begun the novel's setting in Paterson, N.J. - but like John Updike, she abandonned that idea and moved her cast of characters to Boston, Mass.  I imagine Boston politics to provide more interest than Paterson's.  (said by this true Jersey girl, born and bred.)

Another interesting note - the entire story plays out in a twenty four hour period.  I'm told it's a real page turner - difficult to put down.  This may have an impact on our reading/discussion schedule.  Have any of you read this book already?

Please leave a note here if you think you can join us in mid-June.  I've been reading  reviews and really look forward to hearing different viewpoints...as we discuss  this follow-up to Bel Canto.  I find the author herself to be a fascinating character.

Everyone is welcome, old friends and new! 

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 02:15:43 PM »
I just noticed this, JOANP.  Of course, I will be here.  I think the book will make a great discussion - it's a great read by one of my favorite authors.

Who else is joining in?  You don't want to miss this.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »
Sign me up

Jean

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 06:29:57 PM »
Oh good, Ella, you're here.  We just opened the doors - you're the first.  You get one of the comfortable seats!  I'm glad you like Ann Patchett's work.  I'm amazed at the range of her subjects...Run is no exception.  Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

Jean - you came in as I was typing - and yes, it will be fun to have you in the discussion - you are signed up! Welcome - both of you!

Babi

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 08:18:03 AM »
 Here, with my running shoes on!  Since I've read the book I'll probably only scan
through it this time, to refresh my memory.  But there are parts I'll happily read again
for the sheer pleasure of it.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 08:21:20 AM »
Like Alf, I have read the book and liked it, but will join in.. Try to find it somewhere, so I can scan it,no idea where.. She writes such different stuff. Each one is a stand alone.. I love that.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

ALF43

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »
I'm here but exhausted because Joan told me to RUNon over and sign in please.
Now I've got to go buy this book so I will have it on hand to refer to.  I've missed you ladies and this should prove an interesting read to share.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 10:44:14 AM »
Put me down for "maybe".
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Tomereader1

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 12:20:48 PM »
I will do my best to get here for the Discussion; however, June is such a busy month for me and my family, Dtrs. birthday, our 51st anniversary, Father's Day, and who knows what else will crop up!  I have read Bel Canto, twice that I can remember, and probably a third time that I don't!  I read "State of Wonder" but I didn't like it near as well as Bel Canto.  I have great hopes for "Run"! 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 01:45:11 PM »
Babi, Andy, Steph, Tomereader, it is so good to see you all...out of breath, from the running, but here nonetheless.  Annie, your "maybe" counts - you won't be able to stay away. {Ella won't let you!}  Welcome to all!

I've yet to pick up my copy of the book from the Library.  I'm thinking that we will be able to discuss this book in less than a month - it's not a lengthy book and I'm told the entire story takes place in a 24 hour period.

I find Ann Patchett herself and interesting character.  A writer who owns her own bookstore!  If you're ever in Nashville, see if you can find it - Parnassus Books, it's called.  It just opened this past November.  A small independent bookstore is a rarity these days - especially one that is just opening.  Here's one link to the store -
http://www.npr.org/2011/11/16/142413792/ann-patchett-opens-parnassus-books-in-nashville

serenesheila

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 07:06:42 PM »
I am another maybe.  I am still living with my son. and his family.  Escrow closes on Tuesday.the 5th.  However. I cannot move in until the 11th.  I just ordered our book selection.  It sounds very interesting,

Sheila

Babi

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 08:12:48 AM »
 "Run" is actually quick and easy to read, TOME. It will probably fit nicely into
a busy June.  We should be able to discuss it in less than a month, I would think,
JOAN.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 08:50:26 AM »
As I remember I finished the book in a two day period. It is one of those,, dont put it down.. types.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 09:32:39 AM »
Welcome, Sheila, good to have you join us...even if in the midst of the tumult a move always entails.  Will put you in the "maybe" column, but look forward to every little comment you can find time to post.  It's surprising how small observations trigger whole conversations.  You can keep us informed about the move-in experience too. Consider this your little oasis.  

"She writes such different stuff. Each one is a stand alone.. I love that"
Steph, don't you wonder where the widely different ideas for her novels come from?  I was always taught in writing courses - write what you know.  
Bel Canto -  a Japanese opera singer, a South American terrorist/hostage taking...based on an actual event in Peru. - State of Wonder - set in the Amazon rain forest,  a research scientist sent to Brazil to locate the remains of her deceased lab mate —  who had been sent into the rain forest months earlier to find another employee who has been working to unlock the secret to the prolonged fertility of an isolated Amazonian tribe.

And now, Run, a former Boston major, who is dealing with a poor black family, victims of a traffic accident duirng one of those Massachusetts snowstorms.  

Don't you wonder where she gets the ideas for her fiction?  Maybe this is what sets Ann Patchett apart - you never know what her next story witll be.  No forumlaic writing here.  No sequels either...

This will be a fun discussion, I am sure.  

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 07:48:40 AM »
Have ordered the book so hope it arrives prior to start date.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 07:52:46 AM »
Oh good, kidsal.  Your book should arrive in plenty of time.  Welcome!

Steph

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 10:00:02 AM »
From mypoint of view, her very very best book that made me thnk really hard was her first ( I think) Patron Saint of Liars. I dod love that book and have read it at least twice. It says something to me, No idea why.

mabel1015j

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »
Got the book at the library today!
Jean

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 08:41:34 AM »
Steph, I'm wondering what a writer feels upon hearing that his/her best book was her first? What impresses me most about her - the breadth of her topics, always something fresh and different.   I checked on your memory - you're right, Patron Saint of Liars was Ann Patchett's first novel...I haven't read that one, but plan to.

Bel Canto  Jun-2001

The Magician's Assistant  Oct-1997

The Patron Saint of Liars   Sep-1996

Run  Oct-2007

State of Wonder  Jun-2011

Jean, glad you were able to pick up the book so quickly.  She's a popular author, but Run is not the latest, so I don't think we'll have trouble getting finding library copies.

marjifay

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 09:56:54 PM »
Well, I guess I will continue with this book.  Almost stopped after the first chapter, because it didn't make sense.  But, reading it again, I understood it.  I assume the story about the Saint Mary statue will have some significance at some point?  

I'm in Chapter 2 where the two boys are hurrying to meet their dad for a Jesse Jackson speech.  I can't imagine attending a speech by Jackson, as I can never understand a word he says.  A local talk show host in LA does a silly segment every so often called "What the H_ll Did Jesse Jackson Say?"  He plays a sentence spoken by Jackson and prople try to guess what he is saying.

I'm wondering why the author made their adopted children black.   The wife is a red-headed Irish lady.  Is her husband black?  

Onward...

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 08:44:11 AM »
Keep reading. all will become clear. Her hallmark is to confuse you first. I have never read The Magicians Assistant and will look for it.

marjifay

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 11:46:44 AM »
If her hallmark is to confuse readers at first as you say, Steph, then she is doing a good job of it.  I think I will have to re-read Chapter 4, as when Teddy asks Kenya "How long have you known?"  I must have missed something.

Marj

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 11:52:36 AM »
Marjifay, we are so glad you will be joining this discussion. Welcome!  Hopefully you will find the answers to your questions in the next chapters, or by asking other readers for their observations once the discussion has begin on June 15..

Let's all try to remember that some have not started the book yet - and that the discussion is set to begin  a week from Friday - on JUNE 15.  I'm going to put that in bigger letters in the heading to avoid confusion.  Be sure to write down your questions/observations if you have already begun the book!

marjifay

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 03:26:19 PM »
Oh, gosh, Joan, I'm sorry.  I thought it started June 1, not June 15.  I wondered why not many had posted.  Now I'll have a chance to do my re-reading of it!  LOL

Marj

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
 :D  Marjifay, I can see how that happened...we usually do start on the first of the month, but the Bleak House discussion threw the whole schedule into  chaos.

Don't go far away - it's almost the 15th!

mabel1015j

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 03:53:47 PM »
I started the book last night and thought the first two chapters were an interesting story.

Jean

Steph

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 08:29:44 AM »
Ah thats why the odd start date. I had forgotten you have decided to do some Dickens. I read himonce and decided he definitely got paid by the word  common back then) and have neve reread him.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 08:47:43 AM »
I take it that means you won't be spending the summer with us with Great Expectations, Steph...which is one of Dickens you'd probably like.  We plan to take it slowly, a few chapters a week so as not to overwhelm...
Hope you'll think about it.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 11:03:02 AM »
I look forward to joining this discussion on June 15. I've just started reading the book. It's my first by Ann Patchett. I am among those of you finding the beginning very interesting.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2012, 08:05:07 AM »
Marcie, welcome! you are going to enjoy your first Ann Patchett.  She's an author we're sure to hear more from in the future.

I just came across this news from the Book Expo convention two days ago in New York -

"Author Ann Patchett won the award for Most Engaging Author at this year's BookExpo America convention"

You can read more about her acceptance speech here - in which she had "some choice words for book giant Amazon when she accepted the award:  http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter-and-verse/2012/0607/Ann-Patchett-calls-out-Amazon

Steph

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2012, 08:45:54 AM »
Honestl in my 20's and 30's, I took on Dickens and read every single thing he ever wrote.Took me over a year as I remember all in all. I also read over the years several biographies and at least three semi fictional books. So I am Dickens out for life as far as I am concerned.
I just bought Patchetts newest yesterday. I wanted to have it on hand, since I do like her so much.

bookad

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2012, 05:36:09 PM »
Joan
have not heard of this author...am intrigued ...our 'Orillia' library has just moved into its new facilities and so I have put a hold on this book the  large print copy (large print books have not been unboxed yet)... always interested in finding new authors to read...so please include me in this discussion
Deb
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wildflower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2012, 09:00:16 AM »
Book arrived -

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2012, 01:35:40 PM »
Welcome, Deb!  Glad to hear you'll be joining us - What a  group!

ps. Steph - If your memory is anything like mine, I bet you'd find a lot more in a rereading of Dickens than you did 50 years ago...and a different perspective too.  

Steph

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 08:36:18 AM »
Thing about Dickens ,is after reading several biographies, came to the conclusion, he was not a particularly nice man. Blamed his wife for all the children, as if he did not help in the process..

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2012, 08:37:56 AM »
Sounds familiar, Steph!  ;D

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2012, 08:03:31 AM »
June 15, our start date -  is just days away!  I've put a tentative discussion schedule in the heading.  We'll see how it goes. Maybe we'll have to tweak it if it seems too arbitrary.   An odd book to discuss as the whole story takes place within a twenty four hour period.

Discussion Schedule:
June 15~17  Chapters 1-3
June 18~20   Chapters 4-6

Babi

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2012, 08:57:24 AM »
  I found that '24-hr' period especially intriguing, JOAN, considering that I've been reading the
classical Greek dramas that all took place in one day.   Any parallels there, do you think/

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2012, 10:25:44 AM »
I think I have read most of Ann Patchett's books, but I can understand the confusion she undertakes in the beginning of some of her books.  Isn't that true of popular authors?  One chapter has nothing to do with the next, etc., until it all unravels.  Unless you know the author or are intrigued by the writing, one can easily put the book down and forget it.