Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2012-2013  (Read 117054 times)

jeriron

Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2012-2013
« Reply #200 on: January 27, 2013, 10:27:16 PM »

Masterpiece Classic brings back favorite authors and programs and introduces new programs. See the 2013 MASTERPIECE CLASSIC schedule.

NOW DISCUSSING
What's playing on your PBS station? What programs do you continue to enjoy?

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 7
1 95-minute episode — Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Crawleys head to a Scottish hunting lodge, while the downstairs staff stays behind at Downton Abbey. New romances flare up, and a fresh crisis unfolds.

COMING

Page Eight

February 24,, 2013 at 9pm

One 120-minute episode
Sixty-something MI-5 agent Johnny Worricker has amassed an impressive art collection, an amicable collection of ex-wives, and a droll, unflappable relationship with the work he enjoys alongside his boss and best friend, MI5 chief Benedict Baron. But when Benedict brings to light damning evidence of British complicity with illegal American torture operations, it falls to Johnny to do the right thing.

Song of Lunch

March 24,, 2013 at 9pm

One 120-minute episode
A dramatisation of Christopher Reid's narrative poem, telling the story of a book editor who, 15 years after their break-up, meets his former love for a nostalgic lunch at the Soho restaurant they used to frequent. The production is unusual in featuring little spoken dialogue, the action instead being an enactment of incidents described in poetic monologue of the male character. Starring Alan Rickman & Emma Thompson.

Mr. Selfridge

March 31,, 2013 at 9pm

One 120-minute episode
Upstart American Harry Selfridge moves heaven and earth to build his visionary department store in London. But opening day is just the start of his retail revolution.  Three-time Emmy® winner Jeremy Piven (in his first television appearance since his iconic role as Hollywood agent Ari Gold in Entourage) stars as Harry Gordon Selfridge, the flamboyant entrepreneur and showman seeking to provide London's shoppers with the ultimate merchandise and the ultimate thrill. Mr. Selfridge is created by Emmy® Award-winning writer Andrew Davies (Pride and Prejudice, Bleak House).

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 6
1 120-minute episode — Sunday, February 10, 2013

Change arrives in a big way for several key characters at Downton Abbey. A yearly cricket match with the village sees old scores settled and new plots hatched.

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 5
1 60-minute episode — Sunday, February 3, 2013

Things go badly amiss at Downton Abbey. Robert and Cora are not speaking. The servants are shunning Matthew's mother Isobel. And Matthew and Robert have fallen out. Also, Bates takes a gamble.

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 4
1 60-minute episode — Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Crawley family faces its severest test yet. Meanwhile, new faces try to fit into the tight-knit circle of servants. And new evidence turns up in a baffling case.

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 3
1 60-minute episode — Sunday, January 20, 2013

Two social revolutions arrive at Downton Abbey: the Irish civil war and the fight for women's suffrage. A mysterious conspiracy keeps Anna and Bates apart.

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 2
1 60-minute episode — Sunday, January 13, 2013

The fate of Downton Abbey hinges on a letter from a dead man. Edith and Sir Anthony face their own fateful moment. Mrs. Hughes confronts a crisis.

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 1
1 120-minute episode — Sunday, January 6, 2013

Wedding guests descend on Downton Abbey, where disasters large and small threaten. One is Cora's freewheeling American mother, who tries to loosen up her in-laws.

Downton Abbey Revisited
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, November 25, 2012

Savor highlights from the first two seasons and get a preview of Season 3 in this new PBS special.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 2, Episode 6
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, November 11, 2012

A chance remark at the Foreign Office alerts Hallam that one of his associates is a German spy—with tragic consequences. As war is declared, life upstairs and downstairs is transformed at Eaton Place.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 2, Episode 5
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, November 4, 2012

With war looming, romance is in the air—illicit and otherwise. Hallam, Agnes, Landry, and Persie each pursue their heart’s desire in different ways. Harry and Beryl get engaged. And even Pritchard finds a soulmate.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 2, Episode 4
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, October 28, 2012

All of London sees Agnes’s shapely legs when she models stockings for Landry’s company—offending Hallam. Intent on impressing Beryl, Harry enters the servants’ boxing competition as Johnny’s manager.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 2, Episode 3
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, October 21, 2012

Hallam’s Aunt Blanche appears in a novel by a former lover, sparking a scandal that threatens the good name of Eaton Place. Meanwhile, Agnes’s demands on the servants bring a social worker to set her straight.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 2, Episode 2
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, October 14, 2012

Ambassador Kennedy and his dashing son Jack come to dinner at Eaton Place. But Agnes is more entranced by another guest: millionaire Caspar Landry. Before the evening is over, Mrs. Thackeray resigns.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 2, Episode 1
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pritchard takes the rap for Johnny in a shocking incident, which leads to a revelation that casts the butler into disgrace. On a diplomatic mission to Germany, Hallam meets Persie, who has a Nazi lover.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 1 - rebroadcast
3 60-minute episodes — Sunday, Sept. 30, 2012

It's 1936, a tumultuous time in Britain, and within the walls of 165 Eaton Place, characters from an orphanage, a damp Welsh castle, the heart of the British Raj and elsewhere together will face a changing world, not just upstairs and downstairs, but side by side. Written by Heidi Thomas (Cranford, Madame Bovary), Upstairs Downstairs stars co-creators of the original series Jean Marsh and Eileen Atkins (Cranford, Bertie and Elizabeth). Also starring are Ed Stoppard (Any Human Heart), Keeley Hawes (Wives and Daughters), and Claire Foy (Little Dorrit). Available online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch-online/

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

WOW. Downtown Abby... I didn't  expect that tonight..not at all

Rosemarykaye..you sure kept that under your hat.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: January 27, 2013, 11:55:31 PM »
I'm about to watch it here on the West Coast. Can't wait to see what happens.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #202 on: January 28, 2013, 04:24:09 AM »
Jeriron - so did the producers, cast, etc - there was for once no 'leaking' even in our tabloid press.  I'll say no more till you've all seen it....

Rosemary

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #203 on: January 28, 2013, 11:47:46 AM »
Jeriron and Rosemary, yes, I didn't expect the outcome either. Lots to think about in terms of the attitudes toward women and the development of medicine.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #204 on: January 28, 2013, 12:48:54 PM »
Oh Cora has finally stepped up to the plate! I finally got to see last week's too, last night, which I had missed because channel 29 put both of them on.

That was nice.

For a horrified minute I thought Cora with that strange brave smile on her face was going to start spouting "it will be all right' platitudes, but no sir. She's finally taking a stand. She took one but nobody listened to her, that surprised me, the birth of the baby. I thought they were all going to hospital. I don't know enough about enclampsia to say if that was accurate, I didn't realize it could kill after the birth of the baby but rather before.

And oh look, just as I said before, Robert is found with the estate in arrears, now why is that no surprise? That really would  not bode well for him, had he had to go to his own little place, would it?

Such a shame little  Charlie's mother could not have tried Mrs. Crawley's solution first. This I have heard, however, happened a lot, the giving away of a child for his own good, and in this country, too. Such a shame tho, as it appears she's going to turn a corner. You have to admire Mrs. Crawley here.

And what of Mary? My goodness how uncharitable when Edith wanted to be friends again. No she says. hahahaha But just for the moment, OK, we'll hug. Jeepers.

Mary is going to come a cropper, I feel it.

O Brien is really stirring the pot, isn't she? She's...Vengeance with a capital V.

That was an interesting episode, but I can't help seeing Simon  Callow in the spoof saying "keeping all the plates spinning." hahahaa

They sure are!

What did you think of Maggie Smith's speech to Robert about the need to get angry?

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #205 on: January 28, 2013, 01:50:31 PM »
I enjoyed a good 6 hours this weekend watching a BBC Video. If you like Joanna Lumley. (I do.) then see if you can rent. "Sensitive Skin" Season 1 and 2 on it.  Jean March appears in some of it. Now is there only Season 1 and 2? couldn't find any others.

Rosemary.  I am sure you have seen it. Wonder if it was made in some of the areas of East End.  I seem to remember some of the building.  Now the area where the House Boats are  Moored must be pretty new.  I would love living on one of them. Seattle. Washington has something like it but not the Thames River

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #206 on: January 28, 2013, 01:56:56 PM »
I for one shed a few tears on watching D.A. last night. Actors all good in that scene.  Father ticked me off though. Real Snob. He and Mary age getting more that way. Him  Thinking the GP knew nothing.
Years ago many women died from that. (My Grandfathers first wife did). I thought that it mostly happened after birth. (She lived a week and baby 2 months). they were living here in the US at the time and so are both buried in Boston area. He  Returned to UK in 7 years.

Frybabe

« Reply #207 on: January 28, 2013, 02:06:59 PM »
Ginny, do you mean the bit where she said people need to have someone to blame? The look on her face was priceless when Lord Grantham repeated that there is some truth to the accusation of him being to blame. It was quick, not overstated.

Edith held out an olive branch, Mary didn't accept it. What a shame. Speaking of Edith, she is starting to come into her own. I see that Lord Grantham is, once again, trying to discourage a possible avenue for her to shine on her own. As best as I can tell, LG and some of the staff are still stuck in the old and are not embracing the new at all. Even Violet is coming around to some of the new thinking. She most of all, you would think, would have stayed with the old way of life and way of thinking.

Snob! Good word. Mary as snob, yes. LG is just plain ridged and unbending.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #208 on: January 28, 2013, 02:47:38 PM »
" LG is just plain ridged and unbending".

Yes, but he probably would have to be in order to do what he has done: devote his life to maintaining Downton.

I wonder what he does with his time? He clearly doesn't manage the estate, or his investments. He's not shown as active in Parliament. The butler and Lady G manage the household, with him saying yes or no occasionally. He doesn't even hunt, shoot, or race horses, (at least while we watch him).

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2013, 06:06:35 PM »
[

Yes, but he probably would have to be in order to do what he has done: devote his life to maintaining Downton.

Thing is, he wasn't doing a good job Maintaining the place. He married in order to get money because it was going under. Then again now he has gone through all her money.  So he is more interested in Maintaining His Way of Life. Was devoting life to just that. ( That was the problem with most of the High class back then) Now comes along a new Son In law who has come into money. So he is falling back on that.  Looks like the SIL is a little smarter as he was not use to living High class. Mary and her father will fight him over this.She already did stomp out the room.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #210 on: January 28, 2013, 06:10:29 PM »
Wonder it be something if down the Road. Mary's husband  gets to admire Edith. Something may happen there. She is the smartest.

We could come up with Ideas for the writer and keep the show going for years.

Frybabe

« Reply #211 on: January 28, 2013, 06:18:04 PM »
Mary has her head in the sand. She doesn't want to hear about problems. Don't know about it, don't think about it, and voila = no problem exists. She wants to remain oblivious.

Sybil is the one I think, had she lived, would have taken up the womens rights issues. She was the one who snuck out to see the elections and pass pamphlets. Sybil was the most independent of the lot, in thought and action. So, it looks like Edith may pick up the torch. She can write about what ever she likes. Maybe she will turn out to be a Dear Abby or a Miss Manners, but she is leaning to Women's rights right now. LG deserves big frowns  >:(  >:(  for trying to discourage her = again.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #212 on: January 28, 2013, 08:13:18 PM »
This episode stirred up a lot of good comments!

Here's an informative article on eclampsia and the Downton Abbey episode.
http://www.ibtimes.com/what-eclampsia-downton-abbey-pregnancy-disorder-goes-viral-after-season-three-game-changer-1044040

There is more of a "medical" article at http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/28/health/eclampsia-5-things/

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: January 29, 2013, 08:50:43 AM »
Oh interesting on the eclampsia and not enclampsia. I had looked it up also and did not find the swollen ankles but hands and something else. I didn't realize it really WAS rare,  and it is. So poor Sir whoever was not that far off, especially when reading that Caesarian sections were new and dangerous also in that time.

Frybabe: Ginny, do you mean the bit where she said people need to have someone to blame? The look on her face was priceless when Lord Grantham repeated that there is some truth to the accusation of him being to blame. It was quick, not overstated.  Yeah, I thought perhaps that speech was lost on Robert and should have been given to Cora, but I guess she was just trying to make him feel better. I am not sure she can do that.

He's had quite a set of jolts lately. I wonder what that's going to do for him psychologically?

JoanK, what a good point: I wonder what he does with his time? He clearly doesn't manage the estate, or his investments. He's not shown as active in Parliament. The butler and Lady G manage the household, with him saying yes or no occasionally. He doesn't even hunt, shoot, or race horses, (at least while we watch him).

I hadn't thought of that. I don't see any hobbies. Where is  the stamp collection so beloved of English monarchs  and the landed gentry which you read about.   No hobbies at all, that I can see.

I thought on the day they did the hunt in one of the previous series he was shown decked out in boots and hunting coat, am I wrong? That, however, would not mean he particularly enjoyed it  but rather that he  could turn out and hunt when he was hosting it.  He's sort of ...er...

Jeanne, I love this: We could come up with Ideas for the writer and keep the show going for years.  hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

It amazes me how plain they have managed to make Edith look when she is actually quite pretty. I wonder what we would look like in that wig of hers, is that what's called marcelled hair?

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #214 on: January 29, 2013, 01:37:26 PM »
Ginny, I remembered my mother having her hair just like Edith. I think it is really pretty. It is sort of Finger waving. Use to watch my mother and her friends get together and do it.  I think that women did more with their hair back then.  Now seem like all the younger women have the same long Straight  hair. Never seen so many blonds in my life with very few natural

rosemarykaye

« Reply #215 on: January 29, 2013, 02:43:21 PM »
Unfortunately, Jeanne, all this straight hair is also the result of hard work - we are all bullied into wielding straighteners every 5 minutes.  My own hair has natural waves, but tends to be frizzy if it gets the tiniest bit damp, which in our climate is inevitable.  I withstood the straighteners for years, but in the end I gave in - wish I hadn't, as I now feel obliged to keep at it, and I'd much rather go back to just washing my hair and letting it dry.  I'm thinking of getting quite a bit cut off next time, but I don't know if I have the courage to go for it.

My mother's older sister used to iron her hair with the flat iron when she was dating (this would have been in the 1930s-40s).  I remember my mother trying to perm my hair once when I was about 6 and we were going to have school photos.  She tied it all up in little bits of material - it was horrible and the result - a photo of which I have to this day - was appalling, worst school photo ever (and that's saying something.)

Frybabe

« Reply #216 on: January 29, 2013, 03:50:10 PM »
Ringlets! Especially when my Grandmother came over from Wales for several months. Sheets torn up into strips. I looked nice in ringlets. Now, I usually keep my hair short so that I don't have to curl it, and it drys in no time. My hair is very fine and doesn't hold a curl very well, so when long it looks a bit stringy without constant curling. Gave that up long ago.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #217 on: January 29, 2013, 07:25:35 PM »
I was about 39 when I got my hair cut for the first time short.( Copy of the Gena L. Bridgitore)  Can't spell her name right. Then it was the Sassoon cut.
 Prior to that had it very long. Was or am lucky to also have natural Wavy Hair.  Went through the stage also when about 50 to have it straightened all the time. Also to lighten it from being very dark.
Last year I decided to see how much gray would come in if I left it alone. Was hard work and expensive keeping it up.
So now I am happy with it. Its short. Salt and pepper. Waves and everyday can just shower. Let it dry. run fingers through it and let go.
My granddaughter has long Natural blond hair and she takes about 2 hours a day with the iron to get it straight as can be.
When the weather hit NY and Connecticut this Jan. her power was out for 15 days. (Used Generators) her biggest worry was that she could not use her Iron to take care of her hair.
So we all go through those stages.

Yours looks very nice Rosemary.

MaryPage

« Reply #218 on: February 04, 2013, 12:31:42 AM »
I enjoyed Downton Abbey immensely tonight, followed by an episode of D.I. Banks from the Peter Robinson books followed by a bit of Chatsworth.  Late night, but well worth it.

Frybabe

« Reply #219 on: February 04, 2013, 06:57:09 AM »
Wonderful episode. Lord Grantham and Carson are being openly confronted with the new economy, manners (or lack thereof), and women's expanded role in modern society.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #220 on: February 04, 2013, 08:03:30 PM »
I too thought it was a good episode with lots of issues and conflicting views. The good doctor didn't want to lie but was willing to subtly phrase the truth to help heal the rift between Lord and Lady Grantham and allow them to grieve.

Miss O'Brien is up to her old tricks, laying a trap for Thomas. I wonder how that will turn out?

Bates is certainly clever. I wouldn't have thought him the type of person who would stand up for himself and threaten the "bad guys" in that way.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #221 on: February 05, 2013, 01:16:31 PM »
Miss O'Brien and Thomas.  You can almost guess what she is going to do there.  I can't wait.  I have never liked Thomas. Plays the part well though.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #222 on: February 06, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
I am so hooked on Downton Abbey. Some places it has become like a cult thing.
I have one of my friends watching, she loves it and her daughter in law said she was amazed "Judy" had
gotten her into it. They have a whole groupthat watches.
She thinks that nobody iover fifty would possible know anything at alll at that advanced age.
I bought a book on it and its kiind of a coffee table book really nice.
I like to watch it on TVand then when I go to bed watch on my kindle.Its so much clearer and I get a better understanding of whats going on.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #223 on: February 07, 2013, 01:02:14 AM »
Jeanne, Thomas has been bad, but so has Miss O'Brien. Thomas seems to genuinely feel the loss of the youngest daughter.

Judy, it's good to see you. All of us here seem to be hooked on Downton Abbey too.  ;)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #224 on: February 08, 2013, 11:02:09 AM »
Hooked is right.  Aren't we all.  One of my friends always watched The Good Wife on Sunday nights, but I talked her into Downton  (season 3).  She'd never seen it.  I had an Amazon gift certificate, so when the UK Seasons 1 & 2 were on sale I bought them. Now with another friend we've been having "Dinner and Downton (season 1). They are anxious to see the final of that season and the only time we can schedule is 9:30 am this coming MOnday.  It will be "Downton and Lunch."

I'm having fun noting the scenes that PBS didn't show during Season 1 here.

Re: Season 3  I dislike both Thomas and O'Brien, but I think you're right, Marcie, that Thomas is really grieving for Sybil.  Does anything think that Tom will leave Baby Sybil with Mary and Matthew?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #225 on: February 08, 2013, 11:13:01 AM »
What fun, Pedln. I wish I could join your "Dinner/Lunch at Downton" sessions! At first I thought that Tom would give the baby to Mary and Matthew but he seems determined to keep her and raise her in his faith/culture. He says he has a cousin he could send for to help him.

Frybabe

« Reply #226 on: February 08, 2013, 02:17:10 PM »
Near the end of last week, Lord Grantham and Tom were touring one of the farm tenancies. There was a comment about Tom knowing a bit about farming. What about the possibility that Lord Grantham asks Tom to stay to oversee the farm properties in order to keep baby Sybil there and give Tom an occupation?

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #227 on: February 08, 2013, 03:17:41 PM »
I think that Tom And the Baby will be the Cliff Hanger for Series 3.  Only 2 more to go I believe.  Then the big wait.  for Number 4. unless one buy it from BBC.  I have 1 and 2 and will buy No.3 when they put it on sale.

Frybabe

« Reply #228 on: February 08, 2013, 04:24:39 PM »
I was just reviewing last week's summary. I goofed. It wasn't Lord Grantham and Branson, it was Matthew and Tom. That makes more sense. Matthew would have no problem asking Branson to oversee the farm lands. I am curious to see if anything comes of it since Matthew can't seem to get Lord Grantham to seriously talk about needed changes without taking umbrage.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #229 on: February 08, 2013, 10:13:52 PM »
I too noticed that Tom Branson indicated he knew about farm tenancy. It doesn't seem like he'd want to be an "overseer" and Lord Grantham certainly does not get along well with him (though, as you all say, Matthew does get along well with Tom).

MaryPage

« Reply #230 on: February 09, 2013, 09:23:35 AM »
Maybe Tom will stay and run that old farm Matthew found in neglect and the baby will be safe at Downton.  Maybe eventually everyone else will die off and little grown up Sybil Branson, Irish Catholic, will inherit all because she will marry and produce a son who will be the closest male relative and therefore the next in line to be Earl?

Maybe?  Ah, but I have gone too far in time.  Baby Sybil was born, when?  1921?  Do you know?  I was born in 1929, so she is older than I.  Older than the Queen.  Old enough to work hard during World War II.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #231 on: February 09, 2013, 07:11:57 PM »
I am hoping that Mathew will still have a son who will then inherit. I just don't care if he loses Mary. Marries someone else. Getting not to like her.  Here we go rewriting the show for them.  We could have it go on for years with our ideas.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #232 on: February 10, 2013, 03:19:09 AM »
Having seen the end of the series, it's fascinating to see what you're all coming up with  ;D

Rosemary

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #233 on: February 10, 2013, 10:32:51 AM »
Rosemary, is there a series 4 going on now?  Or will series 3 be the end of it?  Seems like there would be an awful lot to wrap up if it were so.

JeanneP, have you heard from your family in Conn. -- the granddaughter who irons her hair -- without power again?

rosemarykaye

« Reply #234 on: February 10, 2013, 01:20:55 PM »
Just consulted my daughter Anna, who keeps up with these things - there will definitely be a fourth series of Downton apparently, though we haven't seen any sign of it yet.

Rosemary

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #235 on: February 10, 2013, 02:55:14 PM »
If you think you might fall off a cliff after Season 3, No. 7 perhaps these Downton-esque novels will keep the blues away.

For Downton fanatics

I [Seattle Times Arts Writer] sampled four current novels, all of which name-checked “Downton Abbey” on their covers. Alas, no character came close to the Dowager Countess, and in general there wasn’t nearly enough below-stairs scheming, but each offered pleasures of their own.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #236 on: February 10, 2013, 03:40:31 PM »
Pedlin.

As of yesterday my Granddaughter in Connecticut says they have 22 inch snow. Sent a photo of the children playing in it.  It covers the 2 year old twins. So far they still have power.  It is when the Ice get on the trees there that will always cut the power off.
New Canaan is a strict village.  No Wires can show. No Poles. All are unseen. They go underground and then come up and  go up big trees No big store windows like our Grocery stores have. Theirs look like office buildings. Unless you are right in the Village centre it is hard to use your Mobile phone.  WiFi works O.K.   No hookups for that.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: February 11, 2013, 08:50:23 AM »
Well DUH. I went looking this morning for the  Latin phrase thrown away in last night's broadcast, (which I only caught the tail end of, as  I was passing thru the room, unfortunately,  and by the time I recognized the somewhat off pronunciation, and had time to think oh that's LATIN,  it was too late) but of course this morning  I wanted to point out its presence in this new series, so thought I'd look it up when BANGO I found this instead:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1343388/Downton-Abbey-cut-2-hours-TV-executives-fearing-plot-baffle-US-viewers.html

Eight-hour ITV series slashed to six for the States
    Inheritance story­line simplified for Americans

Its intricately detailed plot and sumptuous production values, with lingering shots of the magnificent stately home, made Downton Abbey the TV hit of last year.

Unsurprisingly, the lavish period drama has now been snapped up by an American network - although it seems the beautifully nuanced portrait of pre-First World War upper-class life could prove just a little too complex for the trans­atlantic audience.

For in the land of the notoriously short attention span, TV executives have taken a knife to the artfully crafted series, slashing its running time and simplifying the plotline for fear viewers will be left baffled.

Rebecca Eaton, an executive producer for the PBS network - which will be airing it from next week - admits that American audiences demand a 'different speed' to their shows.

As a result, Downton, which ran for eight hours on ITV, has been slashed to six for the States, while the story­line about the inheritance of the Abbey has been downplayed.

Really?

Oh how  I love to be  patronized.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2013, 11:41:49 AM »
Miss O'Brien was really going after Thomas, playing him and James against each other. I thought she was awful. I hope that the issue is resolved.

Those of you who saw Tom and baby Sybil remaining in the house were right! And it seems like we'll have another baby soon.

Ginny, I vaguely recall a Latin phrase in the show. Do you remember who said it?

Too bad about the cutting out of two-episodes worth of the show for "short-attention-span" Americans!

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #239 on: February 11, 2013, 12:04:24 PM »
I thought that Mary was more likeable last night. I had started to dislike her. It looks like they are going to jump to fast into what is happening to her next week. Maybe I saw it wrong.  Now was that the 6th Week of Series 3?  Will it be for 8 weeks?

This finding a position for Thomas with all being known doesn't not make sense to me. Would never be that way back in those days.  Getting caught in the act as a Gay person in UK I believe was still a crime up to the 1960s.  Not by just being (I knew many). but if seen acting. Sort of same with getting a divorce on grounds of Sex. One had to be caught in the act.  Not just being seen with another person.