Author Topic: Hobbit, The. by J.R.R. Tolkien Prediscussion  (Read 14902 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Hobbit, The. by J.R.R. Tolkien Prediscussion
« on: October 22, 2012, 01:18:26 AM »
   The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

Please post here if you can join us starting Nov. 12....

November Book Club Online
 The Hobbit turns 75 this fall, an occasion likely to cause many thousands of people to reflect with fondness on their childhood memories of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins.

Though a much loved and widely respected children’s book, this work is too often overlooked by adults who relegate it to the nursery bookshelf.  "The Hobbit is a brilliantly constructed story unfolding themes that adult readers will still find compellingly relevant to the modern world: themes such as the nature of evil and the significance of human choice, or the corruptive power of greed and the ease with which good people can be drawn into destructive conflict." Corey Olsen is an Assistant Professor of English at Washington College in Maryland

Bilbo Baggins begins as a cautious and conservative hobbit, well respected and considered a pillar of the hobbit community. When he reluctantly sets out on a quest to recover the stolen treasure of a band of dwarves, he encounters dangers of all descriptions. His adventures, which figure prominently in a prophecy of the dwarves, are like stepping stones on the inner journey Biblo must take to find his courage. Bilbo faces trials which again and again force him to look deep inside himself for the strength and resourcefulness he needs to complete the task expected of him
Discussion Schedule

Ch 1 - 3 Nov 12-16
Ch 4 - 6 Nov 17-21
Ch 7 - 8 Nov 22-26
Ch 9 - 12 Nov 27-Dec 1
Ch 13 - 15 Dec 2-5
Ch 16 - 18 Dec 6-9
Ch 19 and overall Dec 10-13
Discussion Leaders:  PatH; Marcie, Babi , Barbara

marcie

• Administrator
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien Prediscussion
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 01:23:48 AM »
Welcome to our pre-discussion for The Hobbit, where you can let one another know you'll be joining the group when we start our discussion of the book on November 12.

What a timely choice of book. It's not only the 75th anniversary of the book but on December 14, "from Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson comes “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” the first of a trilogy of films adapting the enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien.

The three films tell a continuous story set in Middle-earth 60 years before “The Lord of the Rings,” which Jackson and his filmmaking team brought to the big screen in the blockbuster trilogy that culminated with the Oscar®-winning “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.”

I look forward to talking about the book (and perhaps the film too) with you.

PatH

• BooksDL
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien Prediscussion
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 10:22:42 AM »
Whether you've read The Hobbit before and want to get reacquainted, or are reading it for the first time, you have a treat in store fore you.  There's always something new to discover in this beloved classic.  Come with us on the journey, and we promise to get you "there and back again" in one piece, in spite of all the dangers on the way.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien Prediscussion
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 11:56:12 PM »
We have read together over the years many a quest novel. Although published in 1937, and greeted with acclaim immediately nominated for the Carnegie Medal for some reason it was not part of my childhood. The Hobbit followed by The Lord of the Rings, written by J. R. R. Tolkien, an Oxford Professor and scholar of Anglo-Saxon literature keeps us glued to a created Wilderland and its many odd sized creatures.

Not only did I miss the stories during my childhood, they was not part of my children's experience however, very much were all the books read and loved by my grandchildren. That was when I first read them, back in the early to mid 90s just in time to have opinions about Peter Jackson's version of The Lord of the Rings masterfully filmed in 2001 - 2002 - 2003

Jackson did not produce a film version of The Hobbit at the time. This stand alone Novel will be released in theaters as Marcie tells us in December - It appears our group on Senior Learn are again, on the cusp of latest in the arts -

When nights are early and the wind is blowing the last of the leaves how great to snuggle in with this delightful read that as I remember includes easy to tell good guys and bad guys.  I am really looking forward to reading about Tolkien's world that can take us out of the gloom and doom that is the focus of most news today. Interesting, 1937 was almost a matching time when the affects of the Depression were still with us but we saw a bit of light.

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 10:17:32 AM »
Well, I've read the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and the Tolkien Reader. I have the Silmarillion and Tolkien's version of The Nibelungenlied, neither of which I have read. I've seen the 1977 cartoon version of The Hobbit and the Rings trilogy. But I don't have The Hobbit, so I guess I never read it. Odd that I missed it; either that or I misplaced the book.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 10:54:54 AM »
I hope that means you'll be joining us Frybabe!

Frybabe

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 11:02:42 AM »
Right!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 11:09:21 AM »
Frybabe, maybe our books are off somewhere together.  I couldn't find mine either, and I know I have a copy.  Fortunately, my library has many copies.  It seems to be on a reading list, and there are even Cliff Notes.  ::)

I have an unread copy of Tolkien's Niebelungenlied too.  I've read some of The Silmarillion; it's somewhat depressing.

JudeS

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 05:34:50 PM »
I have never read any Tolkien but did see one of the movies.

I knew I would never read it by myself so voted forr it. Since it won, I will be joining you.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 06:37:36 PM »
That's really great, Jude, that you'll be joining the group. It should be fun.

Babi

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 08:26:52 AM »
  We are in for such a delightful time!  I didn't know about the film, MARCIE, and reading
your post put a big smile on my face.  I'm really looking forward to that, as well.  To
those who are reading 'The Hobbit' for the first time,  prepare to meet Bilbo Baggins...
a hobbit beloved by all who know him.  Through him, you will come to know a fabled
world and many more memorable characters.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 10:39:04 AM »
I'm curious to see how Peter Jackson stretches it out to three movies, when he only took three to do Lord of the Rings.  (He had to make a lot of cuts in LOTR, though.)  We will be all primed to see exactly what he does to the book, though.  Whatever he does, it will be visually gorgeous.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »
Thought I had an old old copy of the book...somewhere.  Maybe I should go through the boxes of sons' old books.  :D  Our Library and branches have 17 copies - and they are all out.  Either there's been a school assignment - or there are 17 Seniorlearners  planning to join our discussion in November. ;)
I'm looking forward to joining you - though we have several trips planned in November.  

Babi

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 09:10:35 AM »
 I've ordered a copy of "The Hobbit" from Amazon, since I would like to keep that one. 
Also ordered "Travels with Herodotus" while I was at it.  I suspect that is a book I would
need more than two weeks to really explore.  And I have for reference the book on
the old classic historians, which of course includes sections of Herodotus' histories.  I'm
looking forward to a most interesting fall/winter.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 11:09:47 AM »
All 17 copies of The Hobbit checked out of your library, JoanP? I wonder if that's because the new film is coming out in December?

I trust you will find a copy to join us.

majic

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 08:31:26 PM »
Marcie,
I made it in to Senior Learn, and look forward to the beginning of the discussion!
I've read The Hobbit, Trilogy, and other books by Tolkien. It's been a few years, so I can't wait to go back there again!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 08:48:46 PM »
Great, majic, welcome to the discussion.  As I'm sure you already know, all Tolkien's books can stand up to multiple rereading.  Each time one finds something new.  We usually spend the pre-discussion talking about preliminaries, then get down to business once the discussion starts.

When did you get acquainted with Tolkien, and how did it strike you?

JudeS

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 09:01:10 PM »
My library does not carry "The Hobbit".  It is listed under: children 4th to 7th grade.  The Librarian said she would order it from the children's branch of the Main Library.

There is only one copy there and someone has it out till the 11th of Novembrt.
Guess I'll be buying my copy or reading it on Kindle.

I don't live in a small town. My city numbers close to one million inhabitants. Maybe some head librarian doesn't like Tolkien.

majic

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »
I first became acquainted with Tolkien's writings in the early 1970s, reading everything I could find at the time including The Silmarillion. I read the additional materials when his son, Christopher, released his notes, etc. I guess that was the 80s. I have returned to Middle-Earth as of fen as real life allowed. Then I was delighted to attend a class, taught at Western Carolina University through their department of Religion and Philosophy, a few years ago on Tolkien's Trilogy. It was a wonderful experience.

Frybabe

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 10:31:58 PM »
Welcome Majic. This promises to be another really super discussion.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 11:20:13 PM »
so glad you are joining us Majic - what a great sounding class Tolkien's Trilogy and in a college located in a beautiful part of the country - how special - look forward to your jumping in and sharing your thoughts with us. I bet you even have tidbits from the class you will be wanting to share as well - how exciting is this...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 01:21:29 AM »
Welcome, majic. I'm glad you made it into the discussion. It's great to have a new reader with us. We look forward to your thoughts about the book when we get started on the 12th. It will be great to hear some of what you learned in your class on Tolkien's Trilogy.

hats

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 01:47:56 AM »
It's me, hats. I always thought of The Hobbit as an adult book. I would love to read this book with the group. Thank you for having me. Would like to send a special hello to Ginny.

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 06:02:18 AM »
Oredered the book -- will read along.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 12:24:05 PM »
First off-------HATS, WELCOME BACK TO SENIORLEARN!!  WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN???
and second,------WELCOME TO MAJIC!!  A NEW FACE IN THE CROWD! HOW SPECIAL IS THAT!!
When my 47 yr old son was in third grade, we received a phone call from his teacher saying that David wasn't showing much interest in the reading class that she had put together for the first semester and he wasn't the only student having this problem.  So we asked him about the class and he said it was really boring.  The other students who complained were saying the same thing.That poor teacher had worked so hard on that class and here it was falling on its face for her top students. So, we told Dave that it would be good to try what she wanted for the class but that at home we would try a little more.

David and I read "The Hobbit" to each other every night from then on and when we were done with it, we started on the "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.   He and I both loved those books and later in the year or in 4th grade,  we discovered that we both were cheating a little and reading ahead as the story was so fascinatin ! Wonderful books.  We even owned a board game which followed "The Twin Towers??"  and Dave and his friends played it endlessly.  

Needless to say these were the same boys who played "Dungeons and Dragons" when in high school and still play it online as adults. Any games similar to D&D fascinate them plus now their own sons play.

Notice I am saying boys--sons only.  No girls that I know of!  I will put in a call later today and check up with oldest son of David to see if this younger group contains any young ladies.   This group would be in high school.
I have my own copy of "The Hobbit" so will use it for this discussion.  Its in its own leather box and is gold embossed.  Pretty fancy!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 02:32:18 PM »
Lots of old friends--welcome!

Hats--It's always good to see you here, and I think you will enjoy the book.

JudeS--I hope you can pick up a copy somewhere.  Worst case, you can borrow from a neighbor's son or daughter.

Kidsal--your company will be welcome.

Annie--you probably know the book by heart.  My daughter was a D & D player in the late 80s and early 90s, and also a Tolkien fan.  Your book is much more impressive than mine.  Does it have Tolkien's illustrations?  If I find mine, it's a pretty battered paperback.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
JudeS, how odd that your library does not carry The Hobbit. I hope you'll find a copy elsewhere so that you can contribute your good thoughts to the discussion.

Hats and Kidsal, I'm so glad that you will be joining us too.

Annie, it will be wonderful to have your participation with your gold embossed copy! Reading it will likely bring back great memories of your children's interest in it.

hats

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 12:04:47 PM »
Hi PatH, Ginny, Marcie and all of you. Glad to be here.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 08:59:23 PM »
hats, we're very glad  YOU are here to join us. :-)

Babi

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 09:10:46 AM »
  I'm getting a bit antsy about the books I ordered.  It's now seven days since I got notice
that they had been mailed.  Hopefully, they'll be in today's mail.  Or maybe I'm expecting
too much.  Is a week long enough?  This is the first on-line purchase I've made in quite a
while, so I may be fretting over nothing.

Frybabe

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 10:27:16 AM »
Babi, it depends on where the books are coming from. They may have been caught in the hurricane stand still for a while. If the place you bought them at has a package tracking feature, you can see where your books were last scanned. I find that mighty handy so that I know to be home when they arrive. Some trackers are better than others. I like UPS because it actually tells me if the package has arrived at my local disto center and if it is listed as out on delivery yet.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 12:04:58 PM »
Hats!  This will be fun.  So glad you'll be joining us - like old times!

Annie, loved the image of you and David reading the book to one another when he was in third grade.  I asked granddaughter - a voracious reader - if she read the Hobbit  She hadn't heard of it.  I think I'll look for a nice edition for Christmas - usually get her a special book.

Picked up my Library copy today...only two week wait for one of the system's 17 copies.  This edition is illustrated by the author.  I'm trying to remember just what a "hobbit" is - without looking at Tolkien's own drawings.  
I know  hobbits live in the ground...seem to remember they they are part rabbit - but what is the "ho" or "hob" part of the word.  Will that be explained?  I read the whole series waaaaaaaaaay back in the early 60's I think it was.

ps. Let us know, Babi...I think that 7-10 days is reasonable...especially since the usual shipping times may be disrupted because of the east coast storm. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2012, 03:26:13 PM »
I find here of late I am not getting any package deliveries on Friday if it is coming ground mail by UPS so it may be Monday or Tuesday of next week in the best of circumstances but I have waited two weeks for a book.

Worst case you can get started by downloading a free copy from this site
http://www.onread.com/reader/191038

or this site which you can download on Andoid
http://www.freebooks2u.org/fantasticfiction/The_Hobbit/

Which by the way here is the link for the trailer of the movie
http://www.ovguide.com/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-9202a8c04000641f80000000046abcfc

EDIT: BEFORE YOU CLICK THE LINKS, SEE MESSAGES BELOW RE THE SITES LISTED

Frybabe

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2012, 04:44:08 PM »
Barb, FYI, I tried the onread.com site. Two things I noticed. I had to sign up to download and then they wanted an introductory fee for the service. I did try to download the book anyway without paying, but my antivirus blocked it because it said it detected a trojan horse virus.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2012, 05:08:56 PM »
ah thanks for that I did upload the first page without any message so I better go clean out my computer - I thought you could read it on their site without having to download - which I prefer so as not to fill up my hard drive

Frybabe

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2012, 06:15:29 PM »
It looks like you can read it online, Barb, but it keeps popping up a request to join every time I turn a page.

I will order it from the library next week and I have bookmarked the sparknotes page.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2012, 06:22:39 PM »
In the terms of service for the "onread" website, it says that you have to follow the "laws of your country" regarding downloading the books. That site is likely owned in a country where they don't have the copyright laws of the U.S., England, etc.

Just looked up the domains:

onread.com is in Azerbaijan(AZ) in region Northern and Central Asia

freebooks2u is in France

salan

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2012, 05:17:48 PM »
I have reserved the book at my library.  Hopefully they will have it for me early next week.  Do we have a schedule set up yet.  I hope to join you.
Sally

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2012, 08:51:17 PM »
Welcome, Sally.  Early next week should be plenty of time.  Once you start reading that book it sucks you in, and it's hard to put it down.  When we start on the 12th, we'll be talking about the first 3 chapters, plus any background anyone is interested in.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2012, 09:33:53 PM »
You 're right Pat - I can't put it down either. Opened the book to look for the dedication - love to read those - and to read the first sentence. Love novels' opening lines too.  Though there was no dedication, I did go way past the opening line.  I see I shouldn't have asked what a hobbit looks like. Mr.Tolkien does that very carefully in the opening chapter.