Author Topic: Holiday Memories ~ 2012  (Read 10899 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Holiday Memories ~ 2012
« on: December 01, 2012, 10:26:01 AM »

Holiday Memories - Our December 2012 Open House!

Everyone is welcome - old and new friends alike!  T'is the season to wax nostalgic about the Holidays you celebrate this time of year, share your favorite memories, recipes, songs and stories of the season.

Every party needs MUSIC! What are some of YOUR favorites?  We can link them here!  Listen to this one!

What's a party without GOODIES?
Let's fill this buffet table with your favorites!
What's your best ever Holiday recipe?  Is there story behind it?

What's a gathering of BOOK LOVERS without Books?
 Do you have a favorite seasonal story or poem you return to each year? 
Do you remember the Holiday stories you read to your children?
When was the last time you read them?

About Clement Moore, the writer, the father
Scroll down in this site for the most-published, most-read, most-memorized and most-collected book in all of Christmas literature.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
Re: Holiday Memories ~ 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 11:07:54 AM »
Welcome to our new site concerning holidays and what we remember about them.  
I must tell that the reason that we have a link to Clement Clarke Moore is not only that my husband reads " 'Twas the Night Before Christmas"  to all the children in our house but because I walked past the land where Clement Moore lived in NYC and took a picture of the building that is there now with a plaque recalling his life in NYC.  Now I don't know how to get the pic up here.  Oh well, we are awaiting your memories or a wonderful holiday recipe or a special song that you love.

Again----- Welcome---Please join us!!!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 11:15:54 AM »

It's that wonderful time of the year again... but as the years go by, I'm finding that the treasured memories are just that...memories.  Things we used to do as a family aren't possible any longer because the "boys" are not here, not physically here to do them.  I wonder how many of you are handling changes in your lives...which holiday traditions have you carried on, which are still your favorites...

And even more, what have you done to adapt to Christmas 2012?  It would help to hear from you.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 11:57:52 AM »
Annie, this is great that we’re having holiday memories again.  I love it.  And it’s interesting that you got a picture of Clement Moore’s house.  Do you remember the street that it’s on?  I’ll put that in my memory bank for the next visit.

There are so many memories of holiday traditions, foods, events, stories.  I always loved the Ideals Magazine Christmas issue.  We didn’t subscribe, I guess someone gave them to us.  What stands out in memory now are the beautiful shiny pictures that accompanied stories and poems. And the poem that really sticks is that delightful Eugene Field “Jest ‘Fore Christmas” --

Father calls me William, sister calls me Will, Mother calls me Willie, but the fellers call me Bill.

But my very favorite Christmas story is one my mother shared with me over 50 years ago, before marriage, before kids. I think it was from a Woman’s Day or Family Circle magazine – Temple Bailey’s  “The Candle in the Forest.”  And I in turn shared it with my kids.   I haven’t been able to find my copy for the past few years and could not remember either title or author.  But a search on key words I did remember finally turned up a link this morning.  I think it’s also in collections, but have two links below.

Candle in the Forest

Candle in the Forest

JoanP, I just saw your post now.  You bring up a very good point.  Back later on that.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 05:03:45 PM »
Oh, Pedlin', what a nice story.  I wonder how old it is? 

I just looked up my favorite recipe for brownies as if I haven't left it here before in the past, I will post it later.  For some reason, I can't open it.  Back in a moment!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 05:43:01 PM »
Chocolate Creme De Menthe Bars

Heat oven to 350 degrees

1st Layer

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter(salted or not)
4 eggs beaten
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1-16 oz can of Hershey's chocolate syrup

Mix together and pour into a jelly roll pan
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
Cool completely and refrigerate for 30 minutes

2nd layer

Mix 2 cups powdered sugar
5 or 6 tblsp of Creme de Menthe(if not green, ad a few drops food coloring.)
1/2 cup soft butter
Spread on cake and return to fridge until partially set.

3rd layer--Glaze

6z chocolate chips melted with 6 tblsp of butter

Drizzle or spread over the cake and chill for 1 hour.

After allowing to sit out for 1/2 hour, cut into 2 inch squares.

Store in the fridge
Can be frozen and eaten also.

This is an old recipe given to me by an old friend.  Her mother made them often and placed the squares in those tin boxes, handing them out as gifts.  They are addictive and recipients will be asking when you will be making more! ;D

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 07:32:12 PM »
Uh oh - I'm in trouble when the recipes start~  And this one looks so easy, Annie!  Are they difficult to cut?  I am going to make some and take them to NJ to my siblings' Christmas party next weekend.

Pedln - what a sweet, sweet story!  I tried to find a date - as close as I could get was the 1880's.  It was compelling to the end.  I found myself wondering how I'd never even heard of it before.  My mother passed away when I was very young...you were so fortunate to have one who read you stories like that.

nlhome

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 08:30:46 PM »
Just marking my place.
But thinking of traditions that have slipped away - we always had a big Christmas with our family, and then with my extended family, but now our children have other families as well, and so we have quiet days by ourselves. This year our family Christmas will be, we hope, the weekend after Christmas. But today my daughter called for her grandmother's recipe for crescent cookies, and I realized that is one of the gifts I made for her Christmas card - a recipe card for that treat. So some traditions will carry forward. 

CubFan

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 11:55:02 PM »
I have found that once you introduce grandchildren to traditions they don’t let go of them. Twenty one years ago (when Nathan was two) we started making & freezing cinnamon rolls for our Christmas breakfasts & decorating my house during  Thanksgiving break because it was the only time I had.

I thought as he reached the teen years etc that other things would get in the way but he never missed a year. He graduates from college in two weeks and was here with his girlfriend &  his two younger cousins the day after Thanksgiving to make cinnamon rolls & decorate the house & tree.

Over the years he’s taught his now 11 year old cousin how to make the rolls and put the lights on the tree. We now have to make a couple of batches to provide all the households, so 8 year old Renee made her first batch this year.

Having little ones help was a lot of work but I was younger then. Now they are old enough to do most of the work & I’m wiped out from just having so much activity in such a short period of time - they did 3 days of work in one. It’s fun watching them as they put everything in the exact same spot as previous years & look for specific ornaments to put on the tree. I guess it will go on as long as they are available. Nathan said it shouldn’t be a problem as his new job has off the day after Thanksgiving.

The kids don't let the adults eat the rolls until Christmas day either.

"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 04:28:54 AM »
With family scattered many of the traditions are changed. After marriage when we moved I carried on most of the traditions just as when I was a child adding a few more and then my children added and changed - I cannot help wonder at the huge change for whoever was the first in a family to come to America - most of us have family who came across a great ocean long before a plane could whisk folks here in hours - they came with little more than memories when they set about creating their first Christmas in this land - what an amazing gift they gave to us because I bet each of our family traditions have elements of that first Christmas our family member celebrated in America.

Growing up, receiving at Christmas your very own book was very special where as, my children received books during the year for no reason however, they did treasure on the feast of St. Nickolaus a new Christmas book that became part of our collection - some years back I broke up the collection giving each of them their favorites.

I think of my grandparents, one could only read in German. There were no public libraries and no nearby private library - they felt lucky to bring home a newspaper where they could follow a story chapter by chapter, week by week - and yet, the drive was there for my parents to get some education and for us to be further educated where my grands automatically think books line the shelves of every home and college is part of growing up. Amazing.

Among our books are so many Christmas stories that I must read year after year - The Christmas Mouse by Miss Read -  The Wonderful World of Aunt Tuddy, Jeremy Gury, Hilary Knight, Max Hess - A Child's Christmas in Wales,. Dylan Thomas - The Fir Tree, Hans Christian Anderson - and of coerce chapter 5 of Wind in the Willows, Dulce Domum by Kenneth Grahame.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 06:26:43 AM »
Ah Barb, you did bring back memories in that I would receive several books for Christmas and they were my very favorite. I did not get any books during the year and there was no library until the librarymobile when I was in the 3rd grade..
We also always got an orange in the toe of our christmas stocking and that was a real treat. I dont know if they were not around or just too expensive, but that was the only time I remember oranges all year.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 08:13:27 AM »
An orange and walnuts in the stocking too, Steph. This is awful to admit, but we looked at these "gifts " from Santa as fillers...My parents probably regarded them as special treats, rare in winter...

Barbara, I'm curious...do you continue to read those books - will you find time to them this year? Can you tell about "THe Wonderful World of Miss Tuddy"?  With family scattered, I'm finding it difficult to keep family traditions going. It takes planning and work -  And it also takes the wisdom to realize that some of the things we used to do together are now just happy memories.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 01:16:14 PM »
Oh yes, every year down come the books, except Aunt Tuddy - it was a wonderful surprise - it was one of the favorites when my daughter was little - I sat on the sofa before Paul was born with one on each side of me - the story was included in a magazine you purchased at the super market for 2 cents and later 5 cents and still later for a dime called Family Circle - the story was a delight with marvelous illustrations done by Hillary Knight who did the art work for Eloise and a few other classical children's stories that were published in the mid and late 50s.

About 5 years ago I found online a copy of the book - paid a fortune - I think $78 but it held such memories and I gave it to my daughter for Christmas - mediately after time at the tree and exchanging gifts we have a lovely Brunch while during the wake-up morning activities we drink coffee and open a tangerine or two.

The boys were in High School and Jr. High so that when after we cleared the table I suggested I read the book they sorta rolled their eyes - Well within the first few pages they were on the edge of their chairs and coming closer and closer completely wrapped in the story - just past mid-way Gary, as a child had never experienced reading a story straight through and he suggested we finish it that night - I think my face showed shock and the boys looked at him incredulously and so with a fresh pot of coffee we settled in and finished the book - now we read about Aunt Tuddy every year after our Christmas brunch.

She has 9 cats that are named in rhyme the last being Ashurbanipal - she loves the department store and visits everyday to check on the new products and ask why they are not carrying a latest product she hears about on TV - this is 1958 - TV advertising is new - she cheers the rag tag neighborhood baseball team and is at odds with her wealthy neighbor Col. Dexter B. Dexter, retired who she was to marry those many years ago and doing the right thing as he was off to war included staying single.

Well her nephew decides to send Aunt Tuddy a small Gift Certificate of $25 for Christmas but the check writing machine malfunctions and lo and behold she receives a check for some outrageous amount of money where the zero key struck over and over and over and over and over again. First thing she buys gifts for all the employees at the store including the floor walker - buying a nice set of pearls for all the girls and and and as each gift chosen is described along with the recipient - she buys the boys team uniforms and arranges for Col. Dexter B. Dexter, retired to receive, the one on display, the most fitted out motorcycle with fox tails at the handle bars.

The presidents at the store are going wild what to do - they love Aunt Tuddy and justify that she is giving all the employees such a lift with her Christmas gifts that how could they take them back for non-payment and everything she spends the money on is being purchased at the Department store which lessons some of the blow by half  - and then Dexter B. Dexter fits himself out in leather at the Department store and takes off with a delightful bit where he speeds along the roads, hits the bridge just opening and sails not quite over the Susquehanna River.

He is lost for days presumed dead when one night covered in ice he returns to Aunt Tuddy - Yep, they marry and he with all his millions, pays Aunt Tuddy's dept to the Department Store and each evening together they cheer on the boys playing baseball in their new uniforms and even the Nephew - I forgot his name - sends her an annual card.

They whole thing is written in rhyme so that you are carried along on words - just a delight.  
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 01:32:38 PM »
Here are some of the illustrations that are just too good not to share

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 01:33:38 PM »
Aunt Tuddy taking a break when shopping with her zero padded cheque at THE DEPARTMENT STORE

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 01:35:22 PM »
And Col. Dexter B. Dexter, retired flying across the Susquehanna

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 05:10:20 PM »
We mustn't forget that others celebrate holidays around the time that Christians do.

First, there was "Chanukah" which will be celebrated Dec 8 thru 16 this year.  Here's a very informative site for you to learn about this festival(holiday).  Hope some of you will share with us your stories about this most interesting time of the years for Jews.

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/chanukah/article_cdo/aid/102816/jewish/Chanukah-Story.htm

The youngest holiday is "Kwanza"  here we have another link to a new idea celebrated by American African community.   Celebrate with us, please.  Tell how you celebrate Kwanza.

http://www.history.com/topics/kwanzaa-history/videos?mkwid=sF16Pnxhr_pcrid_13945613478_pkw_what%20is%20kwanzaa_pmt_b&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=what%20is%20kwanzaa&utm_campaign=G_Holidays&paidlink=1&cmpid=PaidSearch_google_G_Holidays_what%20is%20kwanzaa#origins-of-black-history-month

And here's another link for Kwanzaa:

http://www.ask.com/web?q=what+is+kwanza&askid=f6850ff2-3651-4e98-9f44-b9efc5f8fe26-0-us_gse&kv=sdb&gc=0&dqi=&qsrc=999&o=2737&l=dir

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 07:27:59 PM »
I don't think that is just me getting older but I have lost interest in any of the celebrations occurring this time of year.  Specially Christmas. Just way to commercial for me.  Already been going on for a month.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 08:21:56 PM »
Ah - get yourself a good Advent book and you will see so much within and among our fellow neighbors that light your heart all over - again this year, it is probably 6 or maybe 9 years ago I found this and each year it is like a new book for me - the daily readings by the likes of C.S. Lewis - Thomas Merton - Dietrich Bonhoeffer - Annie Dillard - Dorothy Day - Philip Yancey - John Donne and Sylvia Plath, Meister Eckhart and Martin Luther - on and on - the book is Watch for the Light ~ Readings for Advent and Christmas published by Orbis Books. Just wonderful really... because like you Jeanne Christmas can get old repeating and trying to only add the newest and latest decorating with bobs and bells from places like Target.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 08:24:13 PM »
I cannot believe I started to copy and get over here all the links to Capote's Christmas early this afternoon - one thing after the other and the day is gone - I will do it tomorrow - I have to get something done today...

Steph

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 05:58:53 AM »
 I am more excited about Christmas this year than I have been for three years.. I am decorating.. and if my carpal tunnel calms down, plan on bringing up the small artificial tree that we bought the last year of his life and put it up..
Hmm, it was not walnuts in my stocking, it was brazil nuts, which were a once a year treat.. I do love them still.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 09:41:20 AM »
Steph,
Glad to hear that Christmas is more welcome this year.  Be good to yourself and don't overdo the carpal tunnel.  

Barb
I have ordered the book you suggested from my library.  They only have 2 copies-both out on loan.  Looking forward to meditating with it.

Cubfan,
In today's world, your story about your grandson is very unusual. Where can we get some of those cinnamon rolls.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 11:04:25 AM »
Barb, you reminded me of our Advent Calendar.  I don't remember having one as a child, but started the tradition in my family when my children were small.  I made one out of felt with pockets for small items to be hung on sequins. The children took turns and as my four got older they coveted hanging the star found in the Dec 24 pocket.  The older ones, seemingly so generous, became adept at duping the little ones to begin the calendar process of Dec. 1.

I no longer put up the calendar, but Barb’s suggestion of an Advent book is putting me on a search to find different readings for each day.  And I know that somewhere in this house there is a BIG book of Christmas stories.

Traditions in my family have changed over the years.  We always opened gifts on Christmas morning, but after my older brother got married we began opening them on Christmas Eve because he went to his wife's family on Christmas morning.  That wasn't really a big change because many Norwegian heritage households did that, as did many of our extended family.

Growing up we would always have lutefisk (codfish) and lefse (mashed potatoes and lard rolled thin and browned)  I love the latter, wouldn't touch the fish, which was served with butter sauce except for a Swedish uncle who had grown up with a mustard sauce.  And of course the cookies -- futeman (poor man's cookies) and the rosettes -- made with those fancy irons.  My aunt must have ordered those because I don't think they were made in my house.

Steph

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 06:08:08 AM »
I have never used an advent calendar, but the idea is interesting.. Since my older sons birthday and mine are in December, we tend to get involved in birthday stuff.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 11:50:09 AM »
Barb,
Those pictures from the Aunt Toody book has me searching online and in my library for the book. 

Steph

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 06:15:03 AM »
When I saw the pictures,.  I remembered the book. Long time ago, but it was funny. Having two very very literal minded sons, they were not into anything that was not real.. It has been a joy to have a granddaughter who loved the fantasy as much as I did.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 01:28:32 PM »
All right, Folks!  What are some of your favorite holiday foods. Do you like fruit cake?  I have a link to my favorite fruit cakes.  We sold these to raise money for our high school band (not me, but my children).  We had such a grand reaction and extra orders that the band director he still had some in his office and he had no problem selling them.  Anyway, here's link:

http://www.yahoocake.com/Texas-Manor-Buffet-Loaves/productinfo/019/

I always order 2 or  4 of these bars, two in each package.  Delicious!

There is no citron in these cakes which makes them very enjoyable.

Steph

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 06:05:15 AM »
I used to have a wonderful drunken fruit cake recipe..The only fruits were candied cherries and pecans.. and then soak for at least a month in bourbon..Big hit at parties when they caught the smell..

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 08:28:58 AM »
Steph,
We made that every year but put more in it, a little at a time.  Started with canned apricots, pineapple, cherries, peaches and bourbon.  I don't put nuts in it. Its really good on vanilla ice cream.  Yummmmm :D

Steph

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2012, 06:00:16 AM »
Yes, after they were made, they got wrapped in tea towells and soaked with the bourbon, then once a week resoak.. Not a kids fruitcake..

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »
Here's a gift from Pedl'n.  She didn't leave it here yet so I stole it.  Just look at this!
 Christmas Gifts for Book Lovers!
http://pinterest.com/akpearl/a-book-lover-s-christmas/

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »
here is a nice site with background to The Cricket on the Hearth and links to the three chapters and then other links to many Christmas bits as well as other Christmas stories.

http://www.familychristmasonline.com/stories_other/dickens/cricket/cricket_intro.htm

Steph

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 06:06:13 AM »
Alocal little theatre group here was doing The Christmas Carol and I thought I might go see it, but when I read the review, it had been moved to current times,, and set to music, so I think I will skip it. Just like the modern Shakespeare stuff. Just keep it in the era that it was supposed to be.. Oh well.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2012, 01:45:16 PM »
My experience with "A Christmas Carol" as a musical was in Atlanta when the Atllanta Choral put it on.  They did not update costumes but the music was fantastic. I loved it.  So when we had a chance to repeat the experience in Indianapolis ten years ago we immediately bought  tickets.  It was not as good as the one in Atlanta but okay.  I wish someone here in Columbus would do it.  We have a great musical heritage here in Columbus.  Lots of talented folks here.

Steph

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 06:19:48 AM »
I cannot quite grip this passion for taking a good book or play and making it into a musical.. Why not just leave it as a play or book.. Oh well, I just avoid them..
This is a week of Christmas luncheons and dinners from various groups.. I got a new red dress and boy as people going to be sick of looking at it. I have three functions and plan on the dress for all three.. so there.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2012, 10:32:15 AM »
What about Les Mis?  A book, a play, a musical, and now coming up a film of the musical.  My DC famiy was talking about how they wanted to see it over the holidays and I thought they were talking about the musical,(they've only seen it about 5 times) but now I think it was about the film. And that's one that will be going on my list.

Enjoy your red dress, Steph, and wear it as often as you can.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2012, 02:32:08 PM »
Well I do not know today about past holiday I just know I am suffering through - now if all suffering could be at this level I am sure many would jump singing hallelujah -

I am leaving by jet plane, as the song goes for my daughters and did not want to shop leaving opened food with no one around to give it to so, I did no grocery shopping with the result basics were not replenished either -

I thought I could get on with the coffee I had but made my last pot Saturday - I just cannot get all this done today without my coffee and in the back recesses of my frig lo and behold an unopened box of that Swedish coffee that has been advertised for year that starts with a G something Gravel or something - well anyhow - it is very fine ground and I have to admit it has been back there for more than a year - maybe even 2 - not opened - sealed in silver foil type packaging - and when I made it thank goodness I had the forethought to shake a bit of cinnamon on the grounds - but oh oh oh - I have NEVER had a worse cup of coffee in my life - once when I was out years ago and tried to pour some hot water on the grounds from the day before and this is close if not surpassing that emergency measure.  

I could run down and get a decent cup at the Starbuck's drive-through but there is no time - I will call my daughter and even though I get into the airport nearby at almost midnight I NEED to have a decent cup of  coffee and when Ty picks me up if he would please bring with him a small heat retaining cup with coffee - and yes, they have some of the best coffee that I always pick up at least 6 bags at a grocery Fresh Plus or maybe it is Fresh Market - something Fresh - they have the flavors of Hazelnut and l'orange and a few others that I like - I know gauche to be  a coffee drinker who likes flavors but I just do and the flavor of whatever this is that I am drinking is for the birds and I doubt even they would drink it. Tea just does not do it when you have tons to do...

Well I am off - need to find that wool sweater that we only use here the end of January but perfect for their cold... oh yes, and good news - rummaging I found a bunch of Christmas cards I never used - perfect for neighbors - when I take my walk tonight I will slip them in their mailboxes.

OH yes, did you know there is a service that will call all the homes in an area if you have lost your dog - received this unusual call on someone two streets away lost their black lab the other day - they give the dogs name and tell what it likes and how to get in touch with them and approximately where the owner lives without giving out their exact address or phone number - interesting - sounds like a good idea. I doubt though that this dog will show up - that was three nights ago and if the coyotes didn't get it by now I would be surprised - but then someone may have taken him in - so I hope the dog is found.

Steph

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2012, 06:14:29 AM »
A smal dog yes, but a Lab?? Hunting dogs tend to be wary of strange animals..
The coffee must have been Gevalia.. I have never bought it, but have certainly seen the ads.
I dont drive down to my sons until Christmas eve morning. They both work as do my other son and his wife, so going down early just makes me all alone for very long hours.. Nicer at home.
I just wish we could get a little cold.. it is so very warm and humid in Florida just now..

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2012, 09:26:06 AM »
Steph they hunt in groups and a lab is easier than a deer - yes that is the coffee - terrible - I am off - I was so tired last night my body would not rest for a couple of hours but feel better today - not completely rested but enough to do what needs to be done and the rest will get done on the plane...cards and things.

Steph I do not know how you do it knowing that you pack up and leave in Spring and then turn around and do it in the Fall - so many tiny details.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2012, 11:36:52 PM »
Well, two things that I want to mention.  Don't miss Ped'ln's "Christmas Gifts For Booklovers".  Here's another link for just a piece of it.  Amazing!

http://www.reimaginedonline.com/blog/2011/12/19/holidays-in-the-studio.html

Steph, I can hardly wait to hear of the red dress and your adventures in it.  You go, Girl!

Barbara,
Gavaila usually makes a good pot of coffee if you don't try to make it after watching it grow in the back of the fridge.   :D  Have a wonderful Christmas in NC. 

I am getting busy with other than Christmas this week.  Our daughter and her partner are joining us from NY for a small family celebration of our 60th anniversary.
They are making this trip just for us and we truly do appreciate it. We will try for more folks when the weather is warmer and school is out and vacations might be happening.  We should have married in the summer.  And not the week before Christmas.  Who's idea was that??  We were young and centered on each other and didn't think of the repercussions of joining hearts THE WEEK BEFORE CHRISTMAS!  Wouldn't you think someone might have suggested a sooner or later date??   :D