Author Topic: Holiday Memories ~ 2012  (Read 10898 times)

Steph

Re: Holiday Memories ~ 2012
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2012, 06:04:25 AM »

Holiday Memories - Our December 2012 Open House!

Everyone is welcome - old and new friends alike!  T'is the season to wax nostalgic about the Holidays you celebrate this time of year, share your favorite memories, recipes, songs and stories of the season.

Every party needs MUSIC! What are some of YOUR favorites?  We can link them here!  Listen to this one!

What's a party without GOODIES?
Let's fill this buffet table with your favorites!
What's your best ever Holiday recipe?  Is there story behind it?

What's a gathering of BOOK LOVERS without Books?
 Do you have a favorite seasonal story or poem you return to each year?  
Do you remember the Holiday stories you read to your children?
When was the last time you read them?

About Clement Moore, the writer, the father
Scroll down in this site for the most-published, most-read, most-memorized and most-collected book in all of Christmas literature.

So far the dress has been to two parties and two group pictures.. At least two of the other women are in both pictures as well. Hmm..
Yes Christmas weddings are very pretty generally, but like my December birthday, not much fun the rest of the time..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2012, 01:52:41 PM »
That Texas Fruit cake does look Good.  I am the only one in the family here in the US that will eat fruit cake.  How I miss the ones we made in UK. My aunt would make about a dozen of them starting in November. Would last for months as they did have brandy in them.

Couldn't find the S and H on the Texas one.  Shipping anymore is getting so high. Maybe I will find one in town just for me.

JudeS

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2012, 05:04:21 PM »
Since no one has mentioned Hannukah, I will.
For those that don't know anything about the Holiday here are three important facts.
!)Judah Maccabee (The Hammer) led a guerilla band of Jewish warriors against the Assyrians and the Greeks who had conquered Israel.(approx. in 456 BCE)
2) The holiday lasts for eight days because after the Jews returned to the temple in Jerusalem , they found it almost destroyed and with only enough oil to last for one night. The miracle--the oil lasted for eight days and nights.
3)We eat Latkes (Potato Pancakes) fried in oil in remembrance. (they also tast wonderful when toppped with sour cream).
Here is a poem I wrote for the Holiday

THE HANUKAH CAT

The Holy Hanukah Cat, a recluse on four feet
Only eight days a year do we manage to meet.

The Hanukah Cat all spiffy and bright
Is decked out in ribbons of sky blue and white.

The Hanukah Cat has eyes that light up
When given latkes for his eventide sup.

Like Judah HaMacabee  his whiskers are fierce.
No Syrian cat would dare his defenses to pierce.

The Hanukah Cat stalks his enemy unaware.
Attacks, then blesses with candle and prayer.

The Hanukah Cat hangs out in the Temple downstairs.
Undoubtedly, this fact takes you quite unawares.

But if you're quiet as a mouse and can see like a bat
You too might get a glimpse of the Hanukah Cat.

Steph

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2012, 06:05:35 AM »
How neat. Thanks for the poem. Always interesting the different ways we look at holidays.
I realized that my parents did not even put up their tree until after we went to bed on Christmas eve. We always went to church service and then until we were older came home and went to bed..Then the next morning, we had the tree, the presents ( which we could not touch until later). We had our stockings.. and then we had a large breakfast and then after my Dad had prolonged it until even Mom complained,we could open presents, but by 11am, we were back in church.. Amazing..

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2012, 08:59:35 AM »
My goodness, did i read that right? 60th Anniversary?

Happy Happy 60th Anniversary, Ann~!! What a milestone and what a  festive Christmas this will be for you and your family!

You married at 10, right? hahahaa

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2012, 10:55:08 AM »
Indeed...Ann....what a wonderful milestone!!   Congratulations to you and hubby.

Steph

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2012, 05:58:08 AM »
60 years.. what a wonderful time for you.
Holidays.. I was thinking of my church going days when young. Our church did not put up trees until Christmas eve service, since that was also our pageant night.. We only put red apples and red bows. When I was little, they also put candles on it and lit it , but they stopped that pretty early in my life.. Looked like magic, but I am sure the fire department was not amused.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2012, 01:56:27 PM »
Thanks for the mention of our loooooooong marriage from all of you!  We are having an anniversary dinner but with only family there.  Since its so close to Christmas, we keep a low profile.  So, 12 of us will toast us and then go out to shop.  Haha!  ;D  I couldn't find a card for Ralph and I that went up to 60yrs.  Unbelievable!  They stop at 50yrs.  Heck, my SIL's grandparents were married 75yrs.  We sent them a beautifully decorated Mrs Prindables apple!  They don't usually do anything special but when I told them the story about the longest marriage I know of, they really put some special work into the decorating for us.  It was the talk of the party when they celebrated. 

Jude,
You wrote that?  Wow, I love it.  Am thinking of printing it up for my Jewish friends across the street.  They are from NY and making a move to a 3-tier facility after living here in out condo complex for 15 years.  We will miss them so much.  Dearest of  neighbors! :( 

Steph,
I thought no one was using candles on a Christmas tree back then.  How old are you anyway :o  ??  So glad to hear the dress has been a success. Its a keeper!

My memories of our annual tree are sketchy but I do remember being so excited to get my brother's gift off a tree limb that I pulled down the whole tree and we had to rehang many ornaments.  We were all very quiet as all worked to put it back up. :D   My brothers gift?? A new Boy Scout knife.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Steph

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2012, 06:02:48 AM »
I will be 75 on the 20th of this month. Older than dirt or some such.. The candles were only in our church and then only on Christmas eve. An old German custom , I was told.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2012, 01:34:31 PM »
Happy Holidays Everyone                

Today, Dec 15, is our last day for the Holiday Memories of 2012.  Thanks to all who have shared their fond thoughts, memories and links to wonderful sites with the SeniorLearn family.  

I know that yesterday's horrific homicide of school children and teachers
has struck us all as one of the worst things that has happened since the Virginia  Tech and Columbine disasters.   Children murdered in the one place that their families thought they were safe.  Our good thoughts and fervent prayers go out to the all who are affected by this sad sad happening.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2012, 08:33:34 PM »
Jude, I just copied your poem and sent it to my little granddaughter, with a suggestion that she might want to make a picture of the Hanukah Cat.  She and her mom went to a Hanukah celebration a week or so ago.  My daughter said they ate latkes.

JudeS

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2012, 07:03:19 PM »
Hi Pedlin
Tell your grandaughter that the Hanukah Cat eats his Latkes with sour cream.  How did  she eat hers?

I would love to see the drawing of the Hanukah Cat if she does one.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2012, 04:01:41 PM »
Me, toooo!  Should we maybe closing this discussion?  Hmmmmmm!